David Horowitz to OSU: ‘Jews didn’t expel the Arabs in 1948’ and ‘the occupation is a huge lie’

Activism

Sounds limp, but I shook all day after the “Committee for Justice in Palestine at The Ohio State University” forwarded OSU College Republicans’ invitation to hear David Horowitz pontificate on “Why Israel is the Victim on April 22.   But I had to film Horowitz, because he and CAMERA wield ridiculous power in U.S. schools.  As my friend Sami Mubarak told me:

Many minority students, especially Muslim and Arabs, are feeling unsafe that David Horowitz is allowed to speak on our campus. He claimed responsibility for the hateful anti-SJP posters found in Smith-Steeb dorm on our campus a couple months ago.

Though I’m a member, I’d no clue that OSU’s CJP had been among those targeted, because CJP chose not to distract from its work at a crucial time.  (More about that soon.)  Mubarak reminded me that Horowitz had “funded an Islamophobic ad in The Lantern back in 2012″–a fact I’d reported at the time–full of calumnies Horowitz repeated that night.

Readers of this site know David Horowitz’s efforts at hate-mongering on campus, last week and a couple months ago.  Ben Norton has also debunked Horowitz’s lies, so I’ll point out a few lowlights and post the whole, in six parts, for context.  (Sorry for the background noise, and that my video wobbles, whenever I was asked to move.)

From his rancid start (2, 0:30) to his abrupt departure, Horowitz’s venom stunned.  He skipped the courtesies, like thanks or a nod to Earth Day, dear to many.  Instead, Horowitz made sure everyone could hear him, then griped, “I understand that we have people here from several groups that support the terrorist regimes in Gaza and the West Bank (#2, 0:20).”

People gasped.  When one, then two, clapped in mock shock, Horowitz lapsed into sarcasm: “Great day for America when you support terrorists.”

David Horowitz crackled radioactive hypocrisy.  He demonized the Muslim Students Association and CJP  (#2, 5:09, 14:00) through guilt by association to Nazis, the Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas–casting even Fatah and Mahmoud Abbas as “literally Nazis”(#2, 21:36),  yet obscured the Israel’s use of all–including the fact that Israel helped start Hamas to divide the PLO (see also this and that).  He claimed that the Holy Land Foundation, Council on American-Islamic Relations, and Hatem Bazian all plot “the destruction of Western Civilization,” based on one supposed secret memo (#3, 13:55), but could scarcely be less civilized himself.  Worse, he ignored miscarriage of justice involved the Holy Land Foundation trial and convictions.

He accused opponents of supporting terrorism, but elided Israel’s own terrorism from the King David bombing to the Nakba onward.  He tried to swell his credibility using his status as a former “Communist” and “Leftist,” yet projected his ideology onto us.  He whined that he had the right to be heard without listeners leaving in protest.  He exclaimed that Jews are victims of  “Jew-hatred,” yet scorned the “Victims studies,” that he claims “this University like every other university has (#4, 1:25).”

He moaned that people “put words into my mouth that I didn’t say, they omit every qualification” (#4, 10:30), yet that’s precisely how he misrepresents those who criticize Israel.  He alleged that four “Disappearing Palestine” maps “is a Hamas map….The map is one big lie” (#3, 15:18).   Paradoxically, those pictures of the ongoing theft of Palestine were the one good thing Horowitz provided: they overshadowed his harangue.

Among other nonsensical claims:

“Students for Justice in Palestine, the Committee for Justice in Palestine has only one agenda: the destruction of the only Jewish state (#2, 16:25)….The Jews didn’t expel the Arabs when they attacked them in 1948, nor did they… in the 1967 war or in the 1973 war.  Turns out that this generosity on the part of the Jews was a mistake; these people are not grateful, they’re fanatics, they’re driven by hate.  Four hundred years is a long time: the American Indians have a greater claim on the U.S. than the Arabs have either on Israel or on the West Bank (#2: 19:00).”

At least he admitted here that the West Bank is not part of Israel.

But he resorted to long-discredited hasbara, asserting that the people of Palestine had no right to their own homes, because there was “no national movement of the Palestinians” (#2, 19:41)–that is, that if people did not claim a land precisely as “the Jews” had done on the basis of an eminently-debatable brand of national identity, they forfeited the ground they owned.  He announced,

“Occupation is one huge lie…. because if you think the Jews stole the land, then you don’t pay attention to all the amazing things Israelis have done to contribute to YOUR health…cell phones, you owe the Israelis that (#2, 25:00).

He asserted that “The second lie is that Israel is an Apartheid state” (#2, 26:00): “The only state that’s safe for women, gays, and Christians is Israel” (#2, 27:40). Excuse me if I quote from the the Kairos Document that declares,

“The aggression against the Palestinian people which is the Israeli occupation, is an evil that must be resisted…. Christian love invites us to resist it.  However, love puts an end to evil by walking in the ways of justice.”

He alleged that if you’re a woman “in the [other] countries of the Middle East, “you’re just chattel,” and the merriment that greeted it was priceless (#2, 26:45). And piled up equally laughable falsities about Gaza next (#3, 0:01):

If you want to know why Palestinians are poor,…why they are suffering,…why they get killed in wars, it’s Hamas that’s reponsible, because Hamas is the aggressor.  The Jews weren’t firing rockets into Gaza (#3, 6:00).

When Sami Mubarak and a friend asked,”When will the hate end, David?,” as they held up the sign (3, 6:48),” Horowitz barked,

“You tell me.  You’re obviously the–.  Do you guys want to identify yourselves? Are you MSA or the CJP or some other leftist hate group?”

A whimsical voice quipped, “It’s the Chess Club.”

What an entrancing spirit to return drollery for malice.  Horowitz, however,  grumbled as people stood to leave, “I don’t know how you guys live with your consciences.”  But CJP, MSA, and other groups do know: they had already started a hashtag campaign called ‘EndHateOSU.”

A “representative of Student Government” offered more comic relief about “sinister acts like food and dancing” (#26:45).  Nevertheless, Horowitz posed as an innocent threatened by us: “If the police weren’t here, who knows what would happen!” (#4, 0:15), “You haven’t been attacked on campus.  I have! (#4, 0:20).”  And he yelled at others: “You’re just stupid!  You have no brains (#4, 2:50).”  Or this abuse:

“You’re on a different planet from me.  I don’t understand how you got all that crap in your head and spew it out at me….[I refuse to waste any more life transcribing poison] (#4: 5:50).”

At last, but too soon for students to debate, Horowitz closed his talk: “It’s a sad, sad performance.  Now, [mumbling] we’re finished.  Thank you all, even the people who disagreed with me in a civil….[unintelligible].”

He then lingered less than twelve minutes for civil chitchat, seemingly scared off by a question he couldn’t answer.  A friend of mine asked why so many Holocaust survivors “condemn Israel’s actions (8:41).”  He smeared such critics who’d lived through the death camps, saying, “Some of the Jews shoveled the bodies….ovens….” before waving her off: “You’re just being sarcastic.”

Then he went off Stage Right with a parting curse“F— Off”  (#6, 9:00).

The obscenity was so startling that I–stuck behind my lens–assumed he’d involuntarily yelped at my friend.  Only in the video could I see him direct it straight into my camera.

Still, I wonder: How has Horowitz retained respectability, when he acts so—-unimaginably?  For the College Republicans’ applause seemed keen (#4, 10:55).  And the CR leaders were polite to visitors.  Still, I can’t understand the moderator’s double standard about protecting “civilized discourse”: allowing Horowitz to denigrate the audience but not the latter to respond.

Why ever the CR did invite the infamous Horowitz when Hillel’s Buckeyes for Israel pointedly did not?  OSUCR recently supported several Israel-centric events, but Buckeyes for Israel did not co-sponsor Horowitz’s visit.  I can only assume that Hillel and BfI at last calculate that Horowitz’s grotesquery will do anything but pump up Israel’s popularity.  And this person has shaped academic debate?

Meanwhile, what’s with CR’s urging “anyone who felt personally subjugated by Mr. Horowitz’s comments to contact the Office of  Counseling…Services“?  Many have justly condemned that condescension.

I think psychological care is a great thing. As one flawed human to another, I feel for David Horowitz, because paranoid vigilantism is a sad life.  Short of getting professional help, though, we can all hang out with good people who radiate sanity, spreading resilience all round.  A week ago, comradely sumud helped me creep into the hate-fest I dreaded. So now I call out to #EndHateOSU, “Thanks.”

About Susie Kneedler

1. Steve Macklevore
    April 30, 2015, 2:33 pm

I really wouldn’t worry about David Horowitz – the guy is a clown.

Simply do as you’re doing – expose him and watch him discredit himself.

• Susie Kneedler
      April 30, 2015, 9:02 pm

Thanks to All for Helpful Comments (I couldn’t see many till now).

• RoHa
      April 30, 2015, 9:14 pm

I’ve seen mention of this David Horowitz before. Is he someone important?

• Susie Kneedler
        April 30, 2015, 11:26 pm

Hi RoHa , In the opening, there are four links to some of Horowitz’s recent acts–including one list of essays here at Mondoweiss–and one to the CAMERA website. (I know the links can be hard to see.)

• RoHa
        May 1, 2015, 12:26 am

So he is a guy who writes a few essays and gives a few speeches.

Is he important, and, if so, why?

• Susie Kneedler
      April 30, 2015, 11:00 pm

Also, the friend who stood with the sign, “When Will the HATE END” is Eyad Hamza. I’m glad to honor his work.

• W.Jones
      May 1, 2015, 4:14 pm

Horowitz, like many pro-war Neocons, enjoys seeing his opponents crushed. I wonder what really made him go from being Leftist to joining the Mcarthyist camp? Was it when the Left decided that the 1967-? Israeli occupation was wrong?

• joemowrey
      May 3, 2015, 7:08 pm

No one who can marshall this kind of hatred and venomous hypocrisy should ever be taken lightly. There are many who believe and follow this “clown.” Hitler was a “clown” too. Horowitz is very scary and we ignore him and people like him at our peril.

2. W.Jones
    April 30, 2015, 2:42 pm

What was Horowitz like in person as a Trotskyist, I wonder. He wrote:
    From Yalta to Vietnam (1965)
    The Free World colossus. A critique of American foreign policy in the cold war.
    By: Horowitz, David. Published: (1965)

He did a 180. What a backflip to go from Trotskyist to hardcore Neocon?
    And not only that, but look at the kind of (plainly dishonest?) things he says now, like “the occupation is a lie”.
    It makes me wonder what he was like inside Trotskyist circles back in the day in person.

• weaver
      May 1, 2015, 8:28 am

I’ve always regarded Horowtiz’s peculiarly virulent version of The God That Failed schtick as being the result of an exceptionally debilitating case of guilt-stricken cognitive dissonance. He runs from his previous politics in the hope that it, rather than a personality flaw he’s stuck with, was the source of his tragic error. Hence the vehement dishonesty.

• Stephen Shenfield
        May 3, 2015, 9:27 pm

He wrote a book about his personal and political evolution: “Radical Son: A Generational Odyssey.” He was involved with the Black Panther Party and shocked to discover how corrupt and thuggish its leaders were. Having become alienated from the left, for understandable reasons, he looked for a new home. He does not seem capable of working out an independent stance.

3. amigo
    April 30, 2015, 2:47 pm

“Occupation is one huge lie…. because if you think the Jews stole the land, then you don’t pay attention to all the amazing things Israelis have done to contribute to YOUR health…cell phones, you owe the Israelis that (#2, 25:00)”

What puerile adolescent trollope.

If anyone needs proof that zioniosts are insane , he is all the proof needed. No surprise his son joined the iof. Brainwashed I don,t doubt.

Btw , where do I get my free cell phone or laptop or medicine.He seems to be saying Israel developed these products to give to the world and no profit motive is involved.

• oldgeezer
      April 30, 2015, 6:40 pm

“Israelis have done to contribute to YOUR health…cell phones, you owe the Israelis that ”

Yes. Except that they didn’t. Israelis have made contributions to all sciences but the extent of their contributions extends beyond foundationless myth to the realm of pure fantasy.

4. just
    April 30, 2015, 2:54 pm

I don’t know how you endured it, Susie. I do thank you for your intestinal fortitude, though.

Just looking at his face makes my stomach heave because I have heard him rant and rave before~ it’s a conditioned response now. Why the CR invited him is beyond reason, unless they wanted to expose his hate speech live and uncensored and see the audience reaction/ lol. I only hope that they don’t invite Geller/Spencer next…

I’m glad that you survived it. ;-)

5. eljay
    April 30, 2015, 2:55 pm

That is the “reasoning” of a complete moron! It’s like arguing that the victims in the rapist’s basement aren’t really there because the rapist happens to be a good hockey coach and he also helped several people build decks in THEIR back yards and you owe him that.

6. Keith
    April 30, 2015, 2:57 pm

” He tried to swell his credibility using his status as a former “Communist”….”

Yes, a fundamentalist Stalinist as long as it presented a career opportunity. Once his power-seeking Marxism became a cropper, he effortlessly switched over to blood and soil Zionism and has profited ever since. Nowadays, there seems to be a market for repugnant right-wing extremism. No doubt his views will be useful to our own Mondo Zionists who seem always anxious to misrepresent reality in support of their Zionist ideology.

7. Les
    April 30, 2015, 3:07 pm

Horowitz would disagree with Moynihan ‘s contention that we all have the right to our own opinions but not the right to our own facts.

8. pabelmont
    April 30, 2015, 3:09 pm

Some of these guys must be sociopaths or even psychopaths. (The settlers seem especially to exhibit psychopathic behaviors: gratuitous cruelty, etc.. Politicians and the CEOs of large corporations are often psychopaths (read: The Wisdom of Psychopaths, Dutton).)

Lying with a straight face is beyond many people, but not beyond Horowitz, apparently, and not beyond many people whose behavior, including honesty-dishonesty-behavior, is driven by social and monetary rewards.

• W.Jones
      April 30, 2015, 3:14 pm

Pabelmont,
      What does that mean about when he was a Trotskyist though? Does that mean that back in the 1960’s some of the Trotskyists were really pathological liars instead of honest heroes opposing the Machine? It’s strange.

I know that back in the day there was much more support for the Israelis among the socialist Left. But the Israeli narrative as you see says things like Palestinians don’t exist, and justifies the Nakba. So were those leftists secretly very dishonest in other ways, on just on the Israeli issue? I am confused now.

• oldgeezer
        May 1, 2015, 12:43 am

Back in the day there was, as you say, much more support for Israel on the left. Back in the day Israel was perceived as the victim, under seige from aggressive neighbours.

This is not today. Over the decades the truth has come out. Not only due to the creation of the internet but equally due to sufficient time having passed to do scholarly research and, more importantly, for classified government documents to become publically available. These documents show the lie that was being sold and bought.

It’s not as much a question of honesty as people making judgements based upon the information that they have. I guarantee you that in 50 years there will be similar issues.

Hopefully I/P will be settled by then.

• W.Jones
        May 1, 2015, 10:42 am

I suppose it’s like the hardcore PEP folks. On the outside it seems like they are nice moderate liberals, but in reality they are ultra conservative on Palestinians as Horotwitz is. One example may be Dershowitz, who copied Joan Peters’ book. They have this same information you are talking about, but how much hjonesty does Dershowitz have? It makes one wonder what to think about their liberalism and what it’s really like to work with them personally. Do you know what I mean?

9. gracie fr
    April 30, 2015, 3:20 pm

….The horrifying foot note here, is that some people unfamiliar with how Israel has manipulated its fondation myth, actually will believe some or all of Horowitz’s slanderous telling of the story…..

10. Giles
    April 30, 2015, 3:45 pm

This mixing in of the Israeli and American flags seems to me to be a strategy that is going to backfire badly in time.

• just
      April 30, 2015, 3:48 pm

It should have already happened long ago!

It’s weird.

• oldgeezer
      May 1, 2015, 12:45 am

I found it more than passing strange too. It’s jarring right at the start. Why the Israeli flag is shown on an American campus during a speech by an American speaker. Technically out of protocol as even when it would be appropriate the american flag should be higher or more prominent on US territory.

• amigo
        May 1, 2015, 6:45 am

My suggestion is that the Israeli flag should be flown upside down.

“Hanging it upside down or reversed.[1] In some countries, however, this is also conventional protocol to indicate an emergency or problem.” wiki

• just
        May 1, 2015, 9:07 am

I see what you mean, amigo.

But I think it looks the same upside down!

• Boo
        May 1, 2015, 6:20 pm

It looks the same upside down because it designates a permanent state of emergency.

/sarc

11. Qualtrough
    April 30, 2015, 3:50 pm

Horowitz is a classic true believer. He started out as a Marxist Black Panther supporter and then neatly segued into a conservative Zionist without missing a beat. Apparently the scales fell from his eyes when a female friend of his was allegedly murdered by the Panthers. Strange how the death of one woman could provoke such a radical shift in his views, but the deaths of thousands of Palestinians doesn’t faze him.

April 30, 2015, 8:44 pm

A “Marxist Black Panther”? And I was hesitant about saying he looks like he could be coaching martial arts.

• W.Jones
        May 1, 2015, 4:08 pm

Mooser,
        Considering he is pro-war and teaches that the occupation is a lie, is he perhaps teaching martial artifices (c)?

Would you, as the discoverer of Ziocaine Syndrome, consider OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Dishonesty) to be one of its chief symptoms?

If so, what is curious to me is how long he suffered from OCD and whether it went back to before he began taking Ziocaine.

May 4, 2015, 11:10 am

“whether it went back to before he began taking Ziocaine.”

I hate to be picky, WJones, but I feel responsible for this error, and would like to correct it. One does not “take Ziocaine”. An unfortunate person develops, or exhibits, the Ziocaine Syndrome, which is strictly a social disease. So take ’em to a social worker!
        Does, say, Munchhausen’s Syndrome mean that a person goes around chewing on 2×4’s and masticating sheet-rock? Of course it doesn’t! Same principle.

12. ckg
    April 30, 2015, 4:00 pm

“If the police weren’t here, who knows what would happen!”

The Daily Caller published Horowitz’s account of the OSU event. Horowitz wrote,

The sixty or so student supporters of these Hamas agendas remained civil during my talk. No doubt the presence of eight armed police the university assigned had something to do with that.

It’s not hard to understand why Hillel and ADL steer clear of Horowitz. He is a public relations liability to his own cause.

• just
      April 30, 2015, 4:06 pm

Thanks ckg!

What a schmuck he is.

• lysias
      April 30, 2015, 4:06 pm

Eight (!) armed (!) police! Much overkill?

• just
        April 30, 2015, 4:08 pm

He’s dreaming of the IOF…..

• Giles
        April 30, 2015, 4:44 pm

The camera panned the entire room and revealed one cop.

I suspect he just made up the number 8 to fit his propaganda narrative “No doubt the presence of eight armed police the university assigned had something to do with that “

April 30, 2015, 6:41 pm

” suspect he just made up the number 8 to fit his propaganda narrative”

No doubt it has a numerological significance. And in a marvel of Israeli technology, he made it out of thin air and whole cloth.

• ckg
        April 30, 2015, 8:30 pm

No doubt it has a numerological significance.

In the Bible, seven is the number of completeness and perfection. He merely added it to one to make eight.

• Susie Kneedler
      April 30, 2015, 6:52 pm

Wow, Great Thanks, ckg. Now we’ve new proof of how routinely Horowitz exaggerates.

You’re right, Giles, thanks: I saw two officers peak in the auditorium a few minutes before the start, but only one throughout Horowitz’s speech.

Horowitz also inflated the number of questioners and sensationalized their demeanor, “When I finished, about 20 of them [questioners] lined up at the microphone,” for “an orchestrated protest.”
      But I only count 9–and they ambled up singly.

And, whew, did Horowitz distort what the USG Rep said: “Among them was an elected member of the student government at Ohio State, who volunteered that he had prepared a proposal in behalf of the Committee for Justice in Palestine requesting student funds to finance its pro-terrorist propaganda campaign.”
      I quoted a witty bit of his remarks above, but here’s more:
      “I’d like to hone in on your point about Student Government involvement with CJP. I’m a member of Student Government and I helped CJP write their Appeal for Student Funding, where they funded a Palestinian cultural event that involves sinister acts like food and dancing.”
      This great guy went on to ask about extreme ideologies and whether “….that same type of argument applies to radical Jews in the united states, radical Republicans, that might take aggressive actions?”
      Horowitz’s answer has to be heard to be believed: “No! No, Republicans are way too civil in my view,… as a former Leftist, because they’re not equipped to fight things like this…..(#3, 23:45).”

And, yes, thanks, Brewer and pabelmont: the students’ healing laughter was the best part.

• ckg
        April 30, 2015, 7:56 pm

No problem, Susie. I’ve greatly enjoyed your frequent reports from Columbus. But I must say, Go Blue!

• Susie Kneedler
        April 30, 2015, 9:00 pm

Ha!: Or, Black, White, Green, and Red, eh?

• ckg
        April 30, 2015, 9:30 pm

Or, Black, White, Green, and Red, eh?

Hmm. The Blues have been living in Michigan for ages. The Green and White folks arrived relatively recently and have no attachment to the land, although I acknowledge their skills in basketball and football. This land is ours.

• Susie Kneedler
        April 30, 2015, 11:29 pm

Ckg, hilarious: Thanks.

May 1, 2015, 12:24 pm

“ckg” I always thought you looked Bluish.

• oldgeezer
      May 1, 2015, 12:49 am

I didn’t bother to count the number of cops. Regardless of the number of uniformed officers at least two of the individuals behind him are security personnel. Were they armed? The raglan wearing guy was totally unprofessional as he interjected himself into the discussion and was constantly rooting around in his pockets for something or other. Try protecting someone when you’re hands are engaged drinking water or fetching a candy or your phone out of your pocket. They didn’t strike me as police though.

May 1, 2015, 11:46 am

If I am not mistaken, off duty policeman can, complete with their right to weapons, etc. can hire themselves out as “security”. So who knows?

13. Brewer
    April 30, 2015, 4:58 pm

Looks to me like Horowitz is a spent force. This rambling, shambling, semi-coherent diatribe is almost comic with its constant reference to long dead tropes and catch-phrases. They were all in there – even Golda’s “no such thing as a Palestinian”. The appropriate response to this clown is laughter.

14. Kris
    April 30, 2015, 6:06 pm

Why aren’t our hasbarists defending this nutjob? Yonah? Jon-s? Mayhem? Anyone?

• yonah fredman
      April 30, 2015, 7:07 pm

David Horowitz is classic ba’al teshuva: one who repents. A convert from the red diaper days of his youth due to the murder of someone by the Black Panthers in Oakland, back in the 70’s, he is uncorked. There is a need for reasonable criticism of Israel embodied by Peter Beinart and the criticism of Israel of Ari Shavit is also in accord with my thinking. David Horowitz really does not help. Neither does Kris with her demand for a comment from me or others. Kris, are you somehow interested in dialogue of any sort? Demanding- why aren’t the hasbara-ists commenting here is street corner manners and certainly not a first step to a conversation.

• oldgeezer
        April 30, 2015, 8:14 pm

No demand was made. Supersensitive today sweetums?

April 30, 2015, 8:52 pm

“Demanding- why aren’t the hasbara-ists commenting here is street corner manners”

Oy Gevalt Don’t all you street-corner hoodniks see? Yonah is aidel gepotchket! A real bal toyreh!

“and certainly not a first step to a conversation.”

April 30, 2015, 8:57 pm

“Neither does Kris with her demand for a comment from me or others.”

You show ’em, Yonah! Do one of those tricky “no comment” comment which is really a comment!. Passive, and aggressive, now together again for the first time ever! Nobody will figure it out.

• ckg
        April 30, 2015, 11:10 pm

David Horowitz is…uncorked.

True Yonah. We can all agree that Horowitz has uncorked a few to many. But this is the twilight of liberal Zionism. You may want to uncork a few too.

• Kris
        April 30, 2015, 11:11 pm

Yonah, without you and your fellow hasbarists, mondoweiss would be preaching to the choir.

We wouldn’t have as many chances to research the lies and half lies hasbarists use, and would therefore be less informed and less effective when we are discussing Israel/Palestine in our communities.

I’m disappointed that you seem to have contempt for “one who repents.” Repentence is just what the Great Physician ordered: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repentance_in_Judaism

• Kris
        April 30, 2015, 11:26 pm

@Mooser: “So don’t be a stranger, Yonah! You want some conversation? Just “knock on the roof” anytime, day or night.”

I shouldn’t read your comments while I’m eating, Mooser. I almost choked! :-)

• piotr
        May 1, 2015, 12:13 am

In my nomenclature, Shavit represents Hasbara piano, while Horowitz is definitely forte. Light beer-type of Hasbara is not proper for the stout throats of College Republicans.

I am not sure if Horowitz repents anything. Some people are fanatics whatever they do.

Yonah lacks the taste for undiluted warm bourbon, so he finds Horowitz “unhelpful”. Still, the guy runs a well-funded energetic operations that is a part of a major project, making Israel a wedge issue winning votes for GOP. People too deep in “liberal-think” have hard time grasping how it can be helpful, but it is not that mysterious. GOP has a brand image of being decisive, supporting people like us against the other with aplomb and without apologies, and ready for action whenever necessary. Most importantly, when in doubt, one should always ask the most appropriate person for opinion, and it is hardly surprising that this would be the richest person or group that has any opinion on a topic.

Hence pilgrimages beseeching Sheldon Adelson to bestow a blessing are performed with pride. And if College Republicans are confused why it should be so, Horowitz is always ready to explain Isn’t it why his operation is well funded?.

• amigo
        May 1, 2015, 7:00 am

“David Horowitz is classic ba’al teshuva: one who repents. A convert from the red diaper days of his youth due to the murder of someone by the Black Panthers in Oakland, back in the 70’s, he is uncorked “Yonah

I believe the term “Corked ” is much more apt.It certainly describes Horowitz to a tee.

“So how do you know if a wine is corked? Corked wine gives off a smell that is similar to a dank moldy basement, a wet newspaper or a wet dog. When you actually sip the wine, a typical corked wine taste will be flat and dull, exhibiting no fruit characteristics. Some people also say that corked wine tastes astringent.”

Apologies to all dogs.

May 1, 2015, 11:50 am

Yonah, isn’t there somebody, there must be somebody you can show your comment archive to, and ask them “Am I helping or hindering?”

“We wouldn’t have as many chances to research the lies and half lies hasbarists use”

The part that just stuns me is the level of the arguments that have been, to them, considered sufficient and the way in which they present themselves.
        No patient deconstruction needed. They just collapse into their own footprint.

• yonah fredman
        May 1, 2015, 12:12 pm

Kris- Actually I don’t wish to be invited to discuss issues. I truly wish to discuss only the issues that I choose to discuss without invitations. (This is not totally true. If Donald Johnson were to invite a discussion I would accept. There are decent people in this comments section.)

I think that the word hasbara-ist is superior to the word hasbarist.

May 2, 2015, 12:53 pm

“Actually I don’t wish to be invited to discuss issues. I truly wish to discuss only the issues that I choose to discuss without invitations”

That’s right folks, where you see an article on some aspect of I-P issues, Yonah sees an inkblot, and is always ready to tell us what it means.
        He won’t stand for anti-Semitic smears!

• Kris
      April 30, 2015, 10:44 pm

@yonah, I was INVITING you to discuss and defend David Horowitz’s bizarre remarks.

15. pabelmont
    April 30, 2015, 6:41 pm

Horowitz: “Great day for America when you support terrorists.”

I read in link to: Richard Silverstein that Israel is supporting Al-Qaeda’s affiliate Al-Nusra Front in Syria (as I suppose are Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states). Point is this: TODAY (tomorrow is another day!) it pleases our masters in the USA to apply the poisonous label “terrorist” to Al-Qaeda and its affiliates. So when various countries are helping this one to knock against Assad and also against the Shi’a (and Iran), they are aiding terrorists-on-the-list.

So, Mr. Horowitz, it’s a great day when Israel supports terrorists such as al Qaeda, isn’t it. Mr. Horowitz, what did you say?

(Probably the USA should revise its list of “terrorist” organizations, because much of the list doesn’t make sense now if it ever did.)

• piotr
      May 1, 2015, 12:20 am

pabelmont: GoUSA constantly reviews and checks the list of terrorists and their supporters. Cuba was downgraded from arch-enemy to still-not-quite-OK, and Venezuela was upgraded. Al-Nusra was approved as a recruiting target (for the “moderate insurgents”, but “Khorasan group” was approved as a bombing target, even though no wise person willing to be quoted on record can tell the difference.

16. just
    April 30, 2015, 11:20 pm

OT, and I apologize, but this headline is so stunning and ott that Horowitz will probably use it in his next screech:

“Israel accuses Arab neighbors of stalling on nuke-free Mideast”

• oldgeezer
      May 1, 2015, 1:12 am

You can’t write this comedy gold.

Israel seeks sustained talks (meaning)
      Israel wants to talk but not actually do anything. Reminiscent of Israel
      only agreeing to talks about talks with the Palestinians.

“”reflection of Israel’s commitment to the principle of nonproliferation.” ”

The principle isn’t nonproliferation but nuclear free. No wonder no one wants to bother with their fake attempts at agenda setting. They don’t want to discuss the primary purpose at all.

Israel is a rogue state.

Israel

• a blah chick
      May 1, 2015, 9:55 am

Hmmmm….

“Israel’s statement says it has been willing to meet with its neighbors toward setting an agenda for talks on a Middle East nuclear-free zone, but that after five rounds of consultations with some of its Arab neighbors in Switzerland between October 2013 and June 2014, the other states discontinued the talks.”

So they want to talk about talking…sound familiar?

17. oldgeezer
    May 1, 2015, 12:55 am

If facts had caloric value that presentation would put weight watchers out of business.

I would have thought every zionist would be enraged over this speech as it had no balance whatsoever and that is their oft stated goal.

The speaker could have read straight from the zionist handbook as there wasn’t an original thought worth listening too although I confessed I enjoyed watching it over a long number of hours today.

At least yonah had the good graces and sense to disassociate himself from the speaker but in the final analysis the speaker said nothing that the zionist cadre hasn’t said here a hundred times or more. False each and every time.

• pabelmont
      May 1, 2015, 9:29 am

Correction Needed: I have never, never !, heard a Zionist to call for “balance” when an unbalanced pro-Zionist discussion was in question. “Balance” is only for unbalanced pro-Palestine discussions.

I remember being on a balanced panel (4 speakers) on I/P in 1980s and somehow the topic arose, how should the territory of I/P be re-divided. I suggested 50/50 — each country to have equal amounts of farmland, seashore, mountains, desert, etc. The Zionist panellist had a marvellous apoplexy as i recall. And that is due to “balance” — no apoplexy if no Zionist on the panel. Or, to put it another way, no apoplexy from a pro-Palestinian at a discussion if there is no pro-Palestinian at the discussion.

Have discussions of Zionism/Israel at Hillels typically called for “balance”? What would the rules say?

• just
        May 1, 2015, 9:33 am

True enough.

• oldgeezer
        May 1, 2015, 9:48 am

I was being very sarcastic. Of course they don’t do balance unless it is in their favour. Masters of projection. Just as they are now blaming arab states for holding up progress on a nuclear free middle east and blaming the EU for creating illegal facts on the ground with Palestinian housing.

• piotr
        May 1, 2015, 10:21 am

Another old geezer here. Back when Howard Dean started to run for president, he had a speech where he mentioned that USA needs a balanced position on the Middle East conflict (there were few at that time), and a large brouhaha followed, from which I learned that “balance” is an anti-Semitic code word.

18. bryan
    May 1, 2015, 3:41 am

This guy was so unimpressive in his demeanour, his interpersonal relations, his ability to marshal an argument, and to persuade by a logically developed case that I wonder how he commands the huge salary he does ($336,000 in 2005, $480,162 in 2008, goodness knows how much today). If I could get that sort of remuneration I would also say anything my generous patrons (Olins, Scaifes and Bradleys) wanted me to say, but they might now surely conclude that a guy in his late seventies who insults his audience by calling them the perfect example of a generation gone wrong, now needs to be put out to grass.

19. LanceThruster
    May 1, 2015, 6:02 am

I just recently had a dozen or more comments, posts, and responses to a FrontPage piece titled “Jew Hatred on Campus” deleted (and was then banned from posting). These were rational and measured comments and replies to Zionist bleatings and accusations of my own supposed Jew hatred, support of ISIL, Hamas, and my desire of the downfall of the US and the world to Muslim fanatics. A veritable Zionist StormFront of rhetoric (which btw, were all left up).

David Horowitz is a liar, a coward, and Zionist shill who has no credible arguments to make, and cannot actually allow one to see the light of day on his shitty little propaganda page. He is a Zionist Julius Streicher.

20. a blah chick
    May 1, 2015, 7:04 am

He mentioned cell phones but not the bikini clad ladies? Bummer.

Dave has finally cemented his legacy as the J B Stoner of Zionism.

21. Kay24
    May 1, 2015, 7:20 am

Horowitz like so many others in America, who are under the illusion that Israel is the victim of occupied people, lives in absolute denial.

I guess reality is ugly and hard to accept.

22. rolf
    May 1, 2015, 9:31 am

Horowitz is THE LIAR:
    how can he deny these facts:

Hanan Ashrawi (Palestinian legislator/activist/scholar)
    “We are the ONLY PEOPLE on Earth asked to GUARANTEE the SECURITY of our OCCUPIER!

While Israel is the ONLY COUNTRY that calls for DEFENSE from its VICTIMS!”

then:
    1. Israel was IMPOSED on Palestine!
    2. Palestine did not cause HOLOCAUST
    – European Christians + US are the guilty ones exiling Jews!
    3. Palestine is being punished as terrorists by the world for paying the price!
    4. Palestine got LESS LAND in UN Partition Plan 1947 despite being majority
    5. Palestine didn’t just get less land but LESS FERTILE land
    6. Palestine is CONTINUALLY LOSING land illegally since 1947 to Zionist settlers
    7. Palestine/Arab & Muslim States in the Levant/M.E. were the ONLY countries in world history ACCEPTING Jews and as equals
    8. Palestine pre-Israel (1947) was peacefully living/trading with flourishing Jews/Christians etc
    10. Zionist, not Jewish, Israelis are therefore backstabbing the Palestinian race.
    Non-Zionist Jewish rabbis/israeli intellectuals/defecting citizens & soldiers etc.
    are denouncing Israel as liar/culprit/apartheid-genocide lunatic state…

it is not a question of whose right/wrong and who started anything.
    who has “Right to Return” + “Right to Sovereignty”.
    it’s simply about the obvious – which is taboo in controlled society.

Rumi teaches us one can not use mind/logic in this complex issue:
    “I have been a seeker and I still am,
    but I stopped asking the BOOKS and the stars.
    I started listening to the teaching of my SOUL.” –

maybe this will help apathetic/idle people decide on helping Gaza…
    instead of intellectualizing/categorizing/analyzing/debating forever,
    for in Genocide, there is NO Side! No sides to look at.

none of this is anti-semitic.
    it’s anti-Zionist, anti-entitlement, anti-demonizing, anti-dehumanization.
    pro-human. pro-every human and every life form.
    that is all.
    no devious agenda.
    no sides.
    plain humanity.

23. Vera Gottlieb
    May 1, 2015, 11:08 am

And the Nazis also spread all kinds of lies. Zionism is giving Judaism a bad name. And then some.

24. Misterioso
    May 1, 2015, 12:00 pm

Re Horowitz’s bizarre and entirely inaccurate assertions (i.e., blatant lies) that “Jews didn’t expel the Arabs in 1948” and “the occupation is a huge lie.”

(A) To quote John H. Davis, who served as Commission-General of UNRWA at the time:
    “An exhaustive examination of the minutes, resolutions, and press releases of the Arab League, of the files of leading Arabic newspapers, of day-to-day monitoring of broadcasts from Arab capitals and secret Arab radio stations, failed to reveal a single reference, direct or indirect, to an order given to the Arabs of Palestine to leave. All the evidence is to the contrary; that the Arab authorities continuously exhorted the Palestinian Arabs not to leave the country…. Panic and bewilderment played decisive parts in the flight. But the extent to which the refugees were savagely driven out by the Israelis as part of a deliberate master-plan has been insufficiently recognized.” (John H. Davis, The Evasive Peace, London: Murray, 1968)

Mr. Davis’s observations are confirmed by the IDF Intelligence Branch Report, dated 30 June 1948, entitled “The Arab Exodus from Palestine in the Period 1 December 1947 to 1 June 1948.” After studying the document, Israeli Jewish historian Benny Morris (an avowed Zionist) declared that “the Intelligence Branch report…goes out of its way to stress that the [Palestinian] exodus was contrary to the political-strategic desires of both the Arab Higher Committee and the governments of the neighboring Arab states. These, according to the report, struggled against the exodus – threatening, cajoling, and imposing punishments, all to no avail.” (Benny Morris, “The Causes and Character of the Arab Exodus from Palestine: The Israel Defense Force Intelligence Board Analysis of June 1948,: Middle Easter Studies, Vol. XXII, no. 1, January 1986)

(B) UNSC Res. 446: “…the policy and practices of Israel in establishing settlements in the Palestinian and other Arab territories occupied since 1967 have no legal validity…”

UNSC Res. 465: “…all measures taken by Israel to change the physical character, demographic composition, institutional structure or status of Palestinian and other Arab territories occupied since 1967, including Jerusalem, or any part thereof, have no legal validity and… Israel’s policy and practices of settling parts of its population and new immigrants in those territories constitute a flagrant violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention…”

Israel is a signatory to the Rome Statute of the International Court (1998) of which Part 2, Article 8, section B, paragraph viii defines “the transfer directly or indirectly by the Occupying power of parts of its own civilian population into the territory it occupies” as a War Crime, indictable by the International Criminal Court.

In the summer of 1967, “[t]he legal counsel of the Foreign Ministry, Theodor Meron, was asked [by Israeli Prime Minister Levi Eshkol] whether international law allowed settlement in the newly conquered land. In a memo marked ‘Top Secret,’ Meron wrote unequivocally: ‘My conclusion is that civilian settlement in the administered territories contravenes the explicit provisions of the Fourth Geneva Convention.’” (New York Times, 10 March 2006)

Israel’s 1980 annexation of East Jerusalem was unanimously rejected by the UNSC in Resolutions 476 and 478.

Israel’s 1981 annexation of Syria’s Golan Heights was unanimously declared “null and void” by the UNSC in Resolution 497.

The U.S. State Department:
    “Israel occupied the West Bank, the Gaza Strip, East Jerusalem, and the Golan Heights after the 1967 War…. The international community does not recognize Israel’s sovereignty over any part…”

In 2004, the International Court of Justice , the only legal body with the authority to decide, unanimously ruled that “no territorial acquisition resulting from the threat or use of force shall be recognized as legal.” It denoted this principle a “corollary” of the U.N. Charter and as such, “customary international law” and a “customary rule” binding on all UN member States.

25. PilgrimSoul
    May 1, 2015, 2:06 pm

Horowitz was a classic red-diaper baby, his parents being Communist Party members active in many struggles. Like Red Radosh, he became an extremist on the other side of the political spectrum. But there were some special circumstances. Apparently Horowitz introduced a friend, who was an book-keeper, to some individuals who were at the periphery of the Black Panthers. This friend’s murdered body was later found in the Bay.

Horowitz has written at length about the trauma he believed he sustained as a result of this betrayal. Over the years he struggled with it, but evidently the only way he could resolve this issues was to become an extremist of the right–to become the reverse, in his mind, of what he had been before.

Incidentally, Horowitz is not a conservative. You could call him a representative of the hard political right, but because of his gutter racism and Islamophobia it would be more accurate to call him a neo-fascist.

• W.Jones
      May 1, 2015, 11:03 pm

So what’s the real story?

26. Boo
    May 1, 2015, 6:27 pm

That tummler Horowitz, with his conversion from Trotskyism to Zionism, is a living testimonial to Mark 2:22:

“No one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the wineskins will be ruined.”

27. Landie_C
    May 2, 2015, 1:55 pm

Horowitz retains respectability where — and with whom? (Not a rhetorical question, I’d really like to know).

May 3, 2015, 12:15 pm

not a rhetorical question”

Well apparently the “OSU College Republicans” do. He doesn’t do this for free, and they though Horowitz was worth hearing. Wonder what his speaking fee is?

28. Landie_C
    May 5, 2015, 11:03 am

Heads up, Horowitz “fans:” he posts with Disqus as dhorowitz10 and, as he has not set his account to private, you can follow his comments from blog to blog.

29. Landie_C
    May 5, 2015, 12:13 pm

Horowitz just called your headline “baloney.”

He added, “I said the Jews should have expelled the Arab aggressors in 1948 and they didnt. They let 800k stay because they thought they could buy goodwill among their xenophobic Jew hating neighbors by building a tolerant productI’ve society.”

• Landie_C
      May 5, 2015, 12:57 pm

One of the comments addressed to Horowitz has already been deleted by a Forward moderator.

It read:

Why does Geller find it necessary to imply that nearly all Muslims are violent and/or savages and that rabid anti-Semitism is prescribed by Islam? (i.e. necessary and fundamental to the faith).

Btw, I caught your recent speech to OSU College Republicans on youtube.In it you claimed that ‘Jews didn’t expel the Arabs in 1948′ and that ‘the occupation is a huge lie’ The video ends with you telling a student to “f – off” before you storm out.

Classy.

• Landie_C
        May 5, 2015, 1:08 pm

More words of wisdom from Horowitz on the same forum:

In response to a right-wing commenter who writes, “Most people, who bandy about the term fascist, have no idea what it means.”

Horowitz responds:

For Saul it means “bad person.” Berger portrays her [Geller] as a bad person. Actually she’s a very brave person standing up to the Islamic Nazis who have declared war on us (something Berger and the Forward have yet to understand).