Why did a Jewish Day School student cry hysterically when she learned about the Deir Yassin massacre?

US Politics

Here is an excellent new documentary about Israel education in American Jewish day schools. Between the Lines describes itself as a “deep-dive into how Jewish Day Schools teach Israel’s controversial narrative, and the students who emerge with quivering loyalty toward their community and the State.”  The makers are Ali Kriegsman and Jana Kozlowski, and they say they want to motivate Jewish communities around the country, including “synagogues, camps, schools, programs – to stray from a whitewashed Israel narrative and instead engage alternative perspectives and current day complexities, criticisms, and accomplishments.”

The documentary is superb because it demonstrates beyond question that young Jews are being indoctrinated in a narrative of Israel’s formation that is inaccurate, and shows how the indoctrination originates in the need to protect Israel politically in the United States, and also in the trauma inside the Jewish community over the Holocaust.

I’ll ignore the fact that the makers say they “love” Israel in their p.r. material. The journalism here is first-rate. One of the reasons our website exists is because the editors came to understand years ago that most of the information Americans get on these issues is propaganda and there was a real opportunity for journalists to tell Americans what’s actually happening. Kriegsman and Kozlowski are working in that tradition of honest reporting, in this case documenting an intellectual scandal.

Why did a Jewish day school student cry hysterically on learning about the Deir Yassin massacre? Because her teachers had deceived her about the history of Zionism and Israel. She had to get a book out of the library. Deir Yassin was in April 1948, a village on the road outside Jerusalem, taken by Zionist militias with the slaughter of over 120 civilians.

What this doc shows is that Jewish day schools steep young American Jews in a history of persecution that ends with the creation of Israel, and they do so because these schools see themselves as the farm system of the Israel lobby. The students are going to go out and advocate for Israel.

Watch it for yourself. Here are a few excerpts from the doc. Former day school student Simone Zimmerman shows how Israel’s creation is the capstone of the Jewish story of victimization:

“I learned, my entire life growing up, about the history of anti-Semitism, about the Holocaust, and very much Israel was portrayed as the answer to European anti-Semitism, and it very much was part of my own family history, and part of my communal history. The theme definitely was, ‘This is our past, and our past is a history of darkness and persecution and victimhood, and now we have Israel. And Israel is the place that we have to defend and protect, and Israel as the answer to all of those things. And if we don’t defend Israel, and we don’t protect Israel, then what happened in Europe is just going to happen again.'”

Ezra Kurtz, a student at Penn, relates that Israel turned his school’s intellectual mission on its head:

“The motto of my high school was ‘Inspire and Challenge,’ and obviously I’d say the inspiration is more of an educational motto, but the ‘challenge’ aspect was supposed to be about introducing complexity into things, and I think that complexity was lost when it came to the Israel discussion, when it came to the Israel– whatever, almost ‘curriculum,’ whatever you want to call it. And it was a little bit insulting, because we were expected to be challenged in so many other aspects, and to think critically about these things, even historical narratives. But when it came to Israel, it wasn’t so much of a discussion as much as it was a ‘this is what happened, and this is why we are so great, and thus, this is what needs to happen in the future.'”

Two older rabbis are shown. Brooklyn rabbi Andy Bachman speaks of the political imperative inside Jewish schools to describe Zionism in a positive light. Rabbi Ron Stern also says the education reflects a political necessity, to create advocates:

I would say that the Jewish community is — by virtue of necessity, for the previous decades — has felt that Israel — and there are still many people who feel this way — that Israel is an embattled stakeholder in the region, and that as long as that embattled stakeholder has to fight for its very survival, then we have to take a circle-the-wagons, present a particular perspective to the world, advocacy has to be monolithic, we can’t open a door to let any of the cracks of light get in that might be, in some way or another, break down that narrative.

Zimmerman explains how that necessity was conveyed to her:

“I had a pretty strong sense that, like, my duty going out into the world was going to be to defend Israel and, you know, to be the person who was countering all the lies in the media, and to be telling people the truth. But when I think about, like, specifics of the day-to-day in my high school, I don’t really think that– I don’t think we were actually given so much, like, real content  about what was actually going on there.”

Leanne Gale (an impressive young writer whose work has appeared in the Forward and on our site) is especially eloquent about the intellectual shock. She had a course based on the book, The Case for Israel, by Alan Dershowitz. It did not prepare her for a real engagement with Israel:

“I remember reading this book that I just took out of the library, and I ended up reading some things about Israel that I had never heard about in school. I was reading about the Deir Yassin  Massacre in 1948, and I was shocked about what I was reading. I was reading about Jewish soldiers actually massacring innocent Palestinian civilians. And I remember doing this research, it was during my winter break in high school, and I was crying hysterically, just reading the book. And I was like, ‘I can’t believe this happened. It must just be that my teachers at school don’t know, because if they knew, they would’ve told me.’ So I wrote about this in my paper, and I submitted it, and– I didn’t get a good grade on my paper. And I was in shock. And I was like, ‘why, what did I do wrong, I did all my research, I did everything I usually do.’ And I went to the teacher and I said, ‘Why, why didn’t I get an A on this?’ And the teacher said, ‘You gave too much credence to the Palestinian narrative.’

And at the time, I didn’t know what a Palestinian narrative was, I didn’t know there was any such thing as a Palestinian narrative. And so hearing that kind of piqued my interest and made me think, ‘There’s something that I’m missing here. Clearly if there’s a Palestinian narrative, there must be a Jewish narrative, there must be an Israeli narrative– that must be what I’m learning. There’s clearly another side.’

So when I got to Penn, immediately the first classes that I took were Introduction to the Middle East, and Arabic. And I– my motivation was really to figure out what everyone is so upset about. Why is there another side, why do people hate Israel so much, why is there all this anti-Israel sentiment. Is it really anti-Semitism, or is there something else going on? And immediately all of my assumptions were totally turned on their heads…

I went through a period where I was like, ‘I’m not really gonna be a part of this conversation, I’m not interested, I’m just gonna take my anger and, and go focus on something else.’
I was feeling really betrayed by the Jewish community and I was wondering why I hadn’t learned all of this in school, and I was wondering if it was really just this huge conspiracy to restrict information and to brainwash me into becoming a cog in some kind of political Israel-advocacy system and force me to support things publicly that I don’t actually support. And I felt really belittled too, because I thought, ‘How easily did my community think I could really be brainwashed? Like, why do they have so little faith in their youth? Did they not think that I could really handle this information?'”

I have long argued here that Zionism is eroding the great Jewish 20th century claim to leadership in literacy and education. Zionism has made us stupider because we have to argue that black is white. These young Jewish filmmakers have documented that tendency inside the most affiliated portion of the Jewish community. This is a real blow for liberation. Young Jews like Leanne Gale want to be in the forefront of liberal movements and an American conversation about social justice. To gain that presence, they will have to find Palestinian teachers, who know more about Zionism than anybody else.

1. jimby
    August 27, 2015, 12:46 pm

Great article Phillip, It’s obvious that Zionism a a soul sickness at the core of modern Judaism. I read about Deir Yassin in ’67. I found a book called “O Jerusalem” that included an account by the Red Cross. It was a shock. Then later I read a biography of Menachem Begin that said he was the leader of a joint Irgun/Stern Gang group that committed the atrocity. It was portrayed as being outside of Hagganah control. We now know that to be false. Lots of winks and nods from Ben-Gurion and the lot. They knew they were committing war crimes so they were covering. All this came as a shock to the system and I’m not Jewish. Now I am a total cynic regarding Israel. The sooner it flops the better. The ancient Israelis were no better at keeping things together. All flops… bests

2. Brewer
    August 27, 2015, 2:00 pm

The false narrative is deeply embedded and very obviously false. To defeat the proposition that “Israel declared statehood then the surrounding Arab States attacked” it should only be necessary to quote the Declaration of the Arab League:

(b) Peace and order have been completely upset in Palestine, and, in consequence of Jewish aggression, approximately over a quarter of a million of the Arab population have been compelled to leave their homes and emigrate to neighbouring Arab countries. The prevailing events in Palestine exposed the concealed aggressive intentions of the Zionists and their imperialistic motives, as clearly shown in their acts committed upon those peaceful Arabs and villagers of Deer Yasheen, Tiberias, and other places, as well as by their encroachment upon the building and bodies of the inviolable consular codes, manifested by their attack upon the Consulate in Jerusalem.

….which clearly demonstrates that the ethnic cleansing of 250,000 Palestinians and the massacres at Deir Yassin and Tiberius had already taken place when the League intervened. Ignoring this incontrovertible evidence can only be the result of a willful, orchestrated attempt to conceal the true nature of Zionist intent.

• Misterioso
      August 28, 2015, 10:56 am

For the record:

According to historian Rosemarie M. Esber, by 15 May, Jewish forces had already expelled about 400,000 Palestinians. (Under the Cover of War: The Zionist Expulsion of the Palestinians, Arabicus Books & Media, LLC, 2009)

3. DaBakr
    August 27, 2015, 3:41 pm

PW say the war of ideas in the ME and he really means what he says: war. as in alls fair. truth, lies. PR propaganda….all things being equal when probobly 90% of the readership could be easily categorized as ‘true-believers’ in the ‘ZIonism=Evil. Period.’ school of political activism.

August 27, 2015, 5:18 pm

DeBakr : “The information readers get here is every bit as propagandistic as any pro-Israeli educational program. I can not even count the dozens of times that utter lies-cooked up to de-legitimaize the Israeli narrative- have been promoted as absolute truth on MW. Today is another example.”

Go to the archives and point these lies out. I dare you…. In fact, I double-dog dare you.

• JWalters
        August 27, 2015, 6:12 pm

Well put. DeBakr’s post is all conclusions with no facts or logic supporting them. The hallmarks of someone deeply afraid to look at the facts.

August 28, 2015, 10:45 am

It is now August 28, 2015, 16:02pm, and still no reply from DeBakr on his allegations.

C’mon, man! I’m giving you a chance to prove the truth of your claim.

I triple-dog dare you!

How hard can it be for you to scroll through the forum archives to find a few examples of those ‘dozens’ of ‘utter lies’ which you claim are ‘cooked up to de-legitimaize [sic] the Israeli narrative’ on MW?

In fact, it’s the truth which delegitimises the Israeli narrative, as those poor Jewish day school kids discovered.

Whatever happened to the 9th Commandment?

Book of Mishlei (Proverbs) :
        6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
        6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
        6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
        6:19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

• Kathleen
      August 28, 2015, 9:56 am

MW has created more cracks in the walls of deception or silence around this issue. More light is coming in.

4. hophmi
    August 27, 2015, 4:12 pm

It’s informative and largely accurate. Now tell me when Muslim day schools are making their documentary about how they were educated to be activists for Palestine. Because exactly the same thing happens there. But I doubt you’ll write about it.

• diasp0ra
      August 27, 2015, 5:33 pm

That is such a false equivalence if I’ve ever seen one.

Being an activist for Israel is to maintain the status quo and support the idea of the ethnocracy that is Israel.

Palestine is not a mere Muslim issue, it never was, and never will be.

• JWalters
        August 27, 2015, 6:17 pm

Well said. hophmi provides no analysis or facts to back up his claim that these are “exactly the same thing”. The reason for this is simple – it’s an absurd claim.

• hophmi
        August 28, 2015, 12:20 pm

“The reason for this is simple – it’s an absurd claim.”

It’s actually not absurd at all. It’s common sense. Why would it be surprising? Palestine is one of the most important issues in the Muslim community. Why wouldn’t they teach their kids to be active on the subject? Maybe next you’ll tell me that Imams never talk about Palestine in their sermons.

“Palestine is not a mere Muslim issue”

No one said it was, but for Muslims, it clearly holds a special significance. I’m not sure why you would deny that.

“Being an activist for Palestine is siding with an oppressed disenfranchised people trying to resist being wiped out from history.”

Right, I get that think your side is right is that the other side is wrong. That’s sort of the point. Real education means teaching complexity, rather than indoctrination. Clearly, you think that the right path is to indoctrinate students to be activists for Palestine.

August 28, 2015, 1:16 pm

Palestinian kids don’t need indoctrination. All they have to do is look out the door, (assuming they have a door). They see their destroyed schools. They see their parents/grandparents/older siblings/teachers bullied by IDF scum. They have their memories of their dead and/or crippled siblings, playmates, classmates, cousins, older relatives, neighbours, and teachers.

They hear the old folks talking about the old days, and they know that once their families had houses, farms, shops, in communities where their families had lived, worked, farmed, and gardened for generations.

They know that Israeli killers came, took their families’ land, homes and possessions, and drove them away. It is still happening.

This is their holocaust.

Nobody has to indoctrinate these kids.

• eljay
      August 27, 2015, 5:33 pm

|| hophmi: … Now tell me when Muslim day schools are making their documentary … ||

Israel is a “moral beacon” except for when it’s rolling around the bottom of the barrel with all those Mooslim and the Aye-rab states. Zio-supremacists sure do love their whataboutery…

• Marnie
      August 28, 2015, 12:22 am

You should’ve stopped after the first sentence Hophmi. The rest is childish.

• ziusudra
      August 28, 2015, 7:50 am

Greetings hophmi,
      ….because exactly the same thing happens there…..
      By saying that the Schools of Muslims are doing it, means that you too admit that Israel is indeed doing it! That’s new.
      For this young Lady to write about it spells out not self -hate, but an open, honest, passive conspiracy?
      The only difference between she & you is that you can’t get her to lie about the zionistic mantra of the necessity of your ongoing conquest of theft & pillage, – you knowingly lie. – The Zionistic Day School ‘Diklum’ is not yet at 100%!
      Diklum, Hebrew = State & Repeat (till it becomes true!)
      ziusudra

• hophmi
        August 28, 2015, 12:23 pm

I can, unlike most here, admit when my own community is doing something wrong. When it comes to Israel education, most Jewish secondary schools do not take an academic approach to the conflict.

If you believe, however, that it’s any different in the Muslim community, you are either truly fooling yourselves.

August 28, 2015, 12:51 pm

“my own community”

Hophmi, pull your head out of your butt. If you won’t believe me, will you believe a nice Jewish girl?

• eljay
        August 28, 2015, 8:21 pm

|| hophmi: I can, unlike most here, admit when my own community is doing something wrong. ||

Which “community” is your “own community”? Is it:
        – the people in your neighbourhood;
        – the people in your country;
        – the people in the country of Israel;
        – people throughout the world who are Jewish;
        – all of the above;
        – some of the above;
        – a subset of one of the above;
        – subsets of some of the above; or
        – subsets of all of the above?

• RoHa
        August 30, 2015, 3:42 am

But I’m sure he will. Aren’t you?

• eljay
        August 30, 2015, 8:52 am

|| RoHa: I see that poor hophmi is so busy that he has not had chance to answer your question yet, eljay.
        But I’m sure he will. Aren’t you? ||

I’m pretty sure that as soon as he finds the time in his busy schedule, he’ll ignore the question. :-)

• Kathleen
      August 28, 2015, 9:58 am

Hop “It’s informative and largely accurate”

• Misterioso
      August 28, 2015, 11:01 am

Hophimi

For your further edification:

In 2004, when asked by Ha’aretz journalist Ari Shavit what new information his just completed revised version of The Birth of the Palestinian Problem 1947-1949 would provide, Israeli historian Benny Morris (an avowed Zionist) replied: “It is based on many documents that were not available to me when I wrote the original book, most of them from the Israel Defense Forces Archives. What the new material shows is that there were far more Israeli acts of massacre than I had previously thought. To my surprise, there were also many cases of rape. In the months of April-May 1948, units of the Haganah were given operational orders that stated explicitly that they were to uproot the villagers, expel them and destroy the villages themselves.” (Ha’aretz, January 9, 2004)

5. Froggy
    August 27, 2015, 4:40 pm

Those poor kids. They weren’t educated but indoctrinated. Worse, they were indoctrinated by the people they were raised to believe they could trust.

I recently read “The Holocaust as an American Jewish Experience”

This comes across as manipulative, as well as pathetic.

• Marnie
      August 28, 2015, 12:18 am

“Israel is a mother?” “Israel is a fun place”. So they were taught that Israel is essentially Disneyland for Jews only. How sick and how sad. It’s always traumatizing to a young person to discover they’ve been lied to by their teachers, parents, rabbis and community their entire lives. Now shake off the remnants of those many lies and move forward with your eyes open and tell your own children the truth, don’t crawl back into the cave of lies just to be part of the tribe and continue to cover up the sins of the fathers.

• oldgeezer
        August 28, 2015, 3:30 am

@Marnie

Well said. Sadly, as usual, the apologists for the same strain of racism that precipitated the holocaust will defend the evil actions of the Israeli state. No matter what, or if, it’s initial motives and goals were noble it has become one of the worst rogue states on the planet. If not the worst rogue state considering it’s nuclear arsenal. I fail to see a redeeming feature but hope there is some sanity left to remove it from it’s march to ignomy and evil.

August 28, 2015, 4:42 am

Marnie : “Now shake off the remnants of those many lies and move forward with your eyes open and tell your own children the truth, don’t crawl back into the cave of lies just to be part of the tribe and continue to cover up the sins of the fathers.”

Easier said than done. :(

• hophmi
      August 28, 2015, 12:43 pm

The premise is misleading. There are many American Jews who were Holocaust survivors, and many more whose parents were, so the notion that American Jews experienced the Holocaust vicariously is just utterly, completely wrong. As of 1990, eight percent of American Jews were either survivors or children of survivors (the number obviously diminishes as time goes on), and close to 30 percent of those children suffered depression or PTSD during their lives.

Survivors also tend to come disproportionately from the religious Jewish community, which is the community most likely to send their kids to day school.

Nevertheless, the notion that it is at the center of American Jewish identity is also completely incorrect. I went to day school just like the kids in the documentary. We certainly did commemorate the Holocaust, which for many, if not most, of us meant commemorating an event that took the lives of our direct descendants. But it was not at the “center” of our education.

Like a lot of collectively-experienced traumatic events, there’s always a school of people who push for deemphasis in order to avoid a communal focus on victimhood. I frankly think the notion that Jews focus overmuch on victimhood is silly; we don’t sit around discussing the Holocaust all day, and as I and other here have shown many times, the reaction of most young Jews to the collective memory of the Holocaust is to engage in general social activism, Tikkun Olam. But I wonder whether people here would ever dare to tell African-Americans not to talk so much about Jim Crow, segregation and slavery, since it’s “the past,” and since it cultivates a victimhood culture. I frankly doubt it, though it’s a conservative trope and we hear it all the time. I certainly wouldn’t.

August 29, 2015, 12:30 pm

hophmi : “or children of survivors”

I can understand the children of survivors having some sort of shadow that drifts over their psyche from time to time. But full-blown PTSD or depression resulting from events that happened years before they were born? No. I’m not buying it, unless the trauma is manufactured.

I’ve seen this manufactured misery take root and grow in Jewish friends back in the US, people I’ve known my entire life. I knew their parents and grandparents. Their entire extended families were settled in the US by 1915 and not one of their relatives had any contact with the Nazis.

August 29, 2015, 4:16 pm

Hophmi, hows about you tell us what you consider a “Holocaust survivor” so we know where we are starting from?
        Who are you including in the group “Holocaust survivors”? Would you mind telling us that?

• Keith
        August 29, 2015, 5:18 pm

FROGGY- “The last time I was in Florida my oldest friend told me that he was convinced that at some point in future there would be a holocaust in the US and he would have to flee for his life. I couldn’t believe I was hearing this. It’s pathetic.”

As Jewish power has increased, so too has Jewish fears of anti-Semitism. I suspect that the two logically go together. After the Six Day War in 1967, the Holocaust Industry was launched to promote fear of anti-Semitism as a means of increasing Jewish tribal solidarity as a group power-seeking strategy. This primarily affects organized Jews who organize around Israel and other Jewish issues. One consequence is that remembrance of the Holocaust is much greater today than in the fifties and early sixties. Look at all of the Holocaust movies, museums, etc. Writing in 1996, J.J. Goldberg describes one aspect of this.

August 29, 2015, 8:57 pm

Keith : ‘“It is a fact that American anti-Semitism currently is at a historic low by most essential yardsticks. Hostility towards Jews, as measured by opinion polls, has dropped to what some social scientists consider a virtual zero point….Government action against Jews, the staple of European anti-Semitism for centuries, is almost inconceivable in this country….By contrast, the percentage of Jews who tell pollsters that anti-Semitism is a “serious problem” in America nearly doubled during the course of the 1980s, from 45 percent in 1983 to almost 85 percent in 1990.” (p6, “Jewish Power,” J.J. Goldberg)’

And these are the people who brag about how intelligent they are!!!

• Boo
        August 29, 2015, 9:16 pm

Y’all may not “sit around discussing the Holocaust all day”, but have no compunction about trotting it out at a moment’s notice to counter any and all criticism of current Israeli government policy or actions.

The “victim card” is no longer a trump in the third and fourth generation after the event.

• hophmi
        August 31, 2015, 1:10 pm

“The children of survivors weren’t there. It wasn’t their experience. Their parents aand grandparents were/are the victims.”

An analysis of pretty much the same studies Goldberg uses suggests that Jews in the 1980s were worried about future antisemitism, because at that time, while antisemitic attitudes were down, antisemitic incidents had risen. They also note that the statistics have to be taken in context; the statistics show that Jews worry about antisemitism, and not that they think that there is a great deal of antisemitism. Antisemitism was certainly not at the top of the list of concerns for most Jews; most ranked church-state issues higher.

“but have no compunction about trotting it out at a moment’s notice to counter any and all criticism of current Israeli government policy or actions.”

Nonsense. Jews do not “trot out” the Holocaust to counter criticism of the Israeli government and its actions. But if that bothers you, then maybe you should criticize the far more common practice of anti-Israel activists trotting out the Holocaust to justify their critiques of Israel.

September 1, 2015, 12:40 am

Hophmi : “Really. So what is your experience with the children and grandchildren of Holocaust survivors that you’re able to opine on how they feel and what they experience? Have you read the literature? I grew up with a number of the grandchildren and know some of the children. You think that when someone is asked to shovel a dead body into an oven, or watches his friends die of starvation, or watches children marched into a gas chamber, or goes through living in a Nazi ghetto, that it doesn’t have an effect on the way they raise their children? “

My grandfather was sent to Dachau, along with his brothers. Only my grandfather returned, and he came home crippled from the torture.

My mother was still a child when the Nazis assembled the entire village and forced them to watch as they shot a bunch of men and boys right on the village beach. Two of those boys were her teenage brothers. (The bullet marks are still visible in the old stone wall that runs down to the village beach.)

My aunt, my mother’s sister, was taken by the Gestapo and tortured to death. She was 21.

My mother’s male cousins disappeared into slave labour camps.

People she knew, people she saw in her everyday life, friends’ parents, the young boulanger where she went every day to buy the bread, the teacher, the heroic director of the Catholic academy where her brothers had gone to school, local farmers and shopkeepers, her brothers’ friends, so many disappeared from her life or were executed.

Strange men lived under her roof. They came and they went. She didn’t know where they came from, and she didn’t know where they went. It was a secret. If she told anyone about these men she too would be shot by the Germans. There were children hidden too. She thought of them as ghosts, because she knew there were there, but she never saw them.

She used to walk over to the wall where her brothers were shot and put her fingers in the holes left by the bullets. She thought that bits of their souls were trapped in those holes.

Over 30 million civilians were casualties of WW2.

People all over Europe and Asia saw people they knew and loved beaten, starved to death, shot, beheaded, blown to pieces, dismembered, burnt alive, and tortured. The survivors, scarred as they must be, did everything they could to not bring the damage forward to scar their children and grandchildren. The Jews seem to be the only exception. The American and Israeli Jews want to be scarred. They have created holocaustery and have allowed it to become their dybbuk so they could be scarred.

An example: No sane or decent people would EVER do something this mentally and emotionally destructive to their children. Bar/Bat Mitzvahs are both solemn and joyous occasions. What kind of sick, sad, twisted mind does it take to do this to a kid who has spent months sweating and suffering over his reading, and who goes up and reads it well on what should be one of the most joy-filled days of his life?

It’s like repeatedly scratching off a scab.

Back to your question : “Really. So what is your experience with the children and grandchildren of Holocaust survivors that you’re able to opine on how they feel and what they experience?

My uncle Jean-Yves is a holocaust survivor. I last saw him… well… let me think. Ah! Yesterday afternoon. Of course I know his kids, and their kids. They are perfectly sane (as sane as Frenchmen ever get). Jean-Yves’ was a Jewish teenager who needed a place to hide. My grandparents hid him in an attic room. With none of his family left alive, he stayed with my grandparents and has been a member of the family ever since. (Odd thing. He married a German.) Some of my earliest memories are of him fighting with my grandfather over politics.

Close enough for you?

I also have a close friend in NY, a woman about my mother’s age. She is married to a man who came over to England on the Kindertransport. Their kids are perfectly sane, un-obsessed by holocaustery.

I have known others. Three of their children described their parents being called sabonim by the Israelis. They explained that when they arrived in Israel, the Israelis called them sabonim (bars of soap, slang for cowards) referring to the bars of soap that the Germans were believed to have made from the fat off Jewish corpses. Israelis despised holocaust survivors until the scum of Israel found they could use them to pry more money out of the European freiers.

Sanbar traces this attitude to survivors’ experiences just after their liberation from the death camps and arrival in the nascent Jewish state.

“They called us the sabonim,” he says — using Hebrew slang for “cowards.”

But it also sounds like the Hebrew word “sabon,” or soap, which survivors perceived as a reference to the soap the Nazis made from Jewish corpses.

What kind of monsters do this to people who have suffered so badly and lost so much? What kind of moral degenerates do this to their own people when they have suffered so badly and lost so much?

Even now, despite all the many tens of millions European nations have given to the zionistas in reparations, tens of thousands of holocaust survivors are left to live in poverty in Israel even as you moral degenerates continue to moan about your holocaust and pry money from Europeans.

Holocaustery.

I have enormous respect for the Jews who have somehow managed to escape this trap. The escape must have come at great cost.

I’ll reserve my sympathy for the real victims. If generations of Jewish kiddies are scarred decades after the event, they only have their parents to blame.

• Annie Robbins
        September 1, 2015, 1:22 am

powerful post froggy.

September 1, 2015, 1:51 pm

Thank you, Annie.

There were millions of gentile families like mine throughout Europe.

Many people who were not in the position to hide another person contributed whatever food and clothing they could to those people who were hiding others. (These are the people that the USHMM call ‘bystanders’.)

” One helpful technique for engaging students in a discussion of the Holocaust is to think of the participants as belonging to one of four categories: victims, perpetrators, rescuers, or bystanders.”

August 31, 2015, 4:00 pm

“Mooser: a Holocaust survivor is generally defined as any Jew who lived for any period of time in a country that was ruled by the Nazis or their allies.”

But a little while ago, you said:

“There are many American Jews who were Holocaust survivors, and many more whose parents were, so the notion that American Jews experienced the Holocaust vicariously is just utterly, completely wrong.”

Good old Hophmi.

• Keith
        August 31, 2015, 6:46 pm

HOPHMI- “Keith: Goldberg is not a sociologist. He’s a journalist. And journalists are not great with statistics. This is one example.”

You are telling me that a Jewish journalist isn’t competent to read an opinion poll? What are you, some sort of Jew Hobbyist? Care to provide your analysis of competing poll data?

• hophmi
        August 31, 2015, 11:31 pm

Not when he reads it out of context, he isn’t. Do me a favor, before you respond, actually read what I write.

• echinococcus
        September 1, 2015, 1:56 am

+10, Froggy. A pearl. Thrown before a… OK, I’ll pass. Just that it will be water off that duck’s back that it was intended for, but good to read for the rest of us.

September 1, 2015, 5:51 pm

Thanks, Echinococcus.

I notice that Hophmi hasn’t had the good grace to reply.

-lol-

• eljay
        September 1, 2015, 8:19 am

|| Froggy @ September 1, 2015, 12:40 am ||

Thanks for your post, Froggy. For all his blustering – and he sure does do a lot of it – hophmi is a moral midget.

(With apologies to midgets.)

September 1, 2015, 6:51 pm

Eljay, thank you.

Hophmi is a moral midget. All the double-standard zionistas are. If any gentile societies treated the Jews as badly as the Jewish State treats non-Jews, the screaming would be heard all over the world. Zio-supremacists have no idea how foolish, bigoted, deceitful, grasping and greedy their arguments show them to be.

I have enormous regard for the Jews who bravely speak out against the lies and the atrocities. I know how hard their fellow Jews come down on them, lying (as they always do) and accusing the best Jews of disloyalty, and worse.

Good luck to those young women.

“Monsters exist, but they are too few in number to be truly dangerous. More dangerous are the common men, the functionaries ready to believe and to act without asking questions.”
        ― Primo Levi

• Kris
        September 1, 2015, 12:28 pm

Froggy, thank you for this powerful and very moving testimony.

September 1, 2015, 2:59 pm

You are most welcome, Kris. I wasn’t certain that it was proper to post this.

My grandparents were strict Catholics, and to not assist as best they could would have been both unpatriotic as well as being a Sin of Omission. They could do this because they could count on the cooperation of other local résistants, and because they lived in a huge manoir on a big farm which has lots of places to hide things, and people, and isn’t overlooked by anyone.

Unfortunately, my grandfather was turned in by collaborators. Fortunately, the people they were hiding were never found or escaped.

6. Keith
    August 27, 2015, 4:42 pm

PHIL- “Zionism has made us stupider because we have to argue that black is white.”

Ah, but Phil, the very essence of ideology is the logic of irrationality. Without some degree of irrationality, there would be no uniqueness to the ideology, hence, no ‘us’ versus ‘them’ solidarity. Remember that these are Jewish day schools, not religious schools per se. They are attempting to create a sense of Jewishness based upon the Holocaust and Jewish victimhood with Israel a sort of symbolic totem. As such, the unvarnished truth would be counterproductive. It would be like public schools talking about the transnational corporate/financial empire enmeshing the 99% in debt servitude. Or all of the people the empire has killed or caused to be killed or impoverished for profit. Ain’t gonna happen. Irrational mythology is the glue which binds groups together. BS makes the world go ’round.

• lysias
      August 27, 2015, 5:13 pm

However, when a society is built on too many lies, it is vulnerable either to a sudden collapse, when too many members of it become aware of the truth and lose faith in it, or to a gradual decay, as the beliefs of its members depart more and more from reality and become more and more dysfunctional.

When I was in the military, I was in military intelligence. If intelligence officers can’t tell their superiors the truth, they condemn those superiors to defeat. And they can’t tell their superiors the truth if they don’t recognize the truth themselves.

• JWalters
        August 27, 2015, 6:27 pm

Thank you for that very interesting perspective. Today the public is being force fed lies on many topics, from foreign affairs to climate change. Hopefully the internet will help us avoid the worst possible catastrophes. But the criminals behind this will have to be rooted out thoroughly.

• Keith
        August 28, 2015, 1:35 pm

LYSIAS- “However, when a society is built on too many lies….”

Absolutely correct! In all ideologically justified organizations there is a trade off between internal cohesion based upon myths and the ability of the organization to more or less perceive reality and respond accordingly. When a group perceives itself to be under attack, internal solidarity takes precedence, the wagons are circled and rationality goes out the door. Too little solidarity and the group fades away, too much irrationality and the group can’t deal with a dynamic environment.

7. Fritz
    August 27, 2015, 4:48 pm

I couldn’t imagine that teachers and parents can be able to accept or even demand lies and brain washing for their own children.

• JWalters
      August 27, 2015, 6:28 pm

Perhaps the teachers rely on wealthy donors.

• Pixel
      August 30, 2015, 12:27 am

@ Fritz

Sadly, they/we have been brainwashed ourselves.

Eons ago, i taught high school history and geography. I cringe with sadness and shame that, unwittingly, I was part of the problem, not part of the solution. In my ignorance, I perpetuated lies …and with passion… because I believed them.

Who did I learn them from? My parents and my teachers! They/we honestly believed what we were saying. The was love and compassion in the belief in those lies. Yet, great damage can be – and IS – done in the name of compassion.

We can’t know what we don’t know.

But, when we do know, it becomes our responsibility to do something about it.

That’s the power of the fear that drives willful blindness.

Once we see, what we do with that – or don’t – is a measure of our character and integrity … and WE KNOW THAT.

The problem is not facing the truth.

The problem is not facing ourselves.

8. lysias
    August 27, 2015, 5:09 pm

August 27, 2015, 6:35 pm

lysias : “I remember what a shock it was to me, a retired U.S. naval officer, to learn about the torture at Abu Ghraib. That led me, in the succeeding years, to re-examine all that I thought I knew about America’s recent history.”

Then this will blow your mind : AMGOT

HOW TO MANAGE THE PEACE
      When the US wanted to take over France

by Annie Lacroix-Riz

IN 1941-42 the United States intended that France, together with soon-to-be defeated Italy, Germany and Japan, was to be part of a protectorate run by the Allied Military Government of the Occupied Territories (Amgot). According to the agreement of November 1942 between Admiral Jean-François Darlan and US General Mark Clark, which secured France’s commitment to the Allied cause, Amgot would have abolished its national sovereignty, including its right to issue currency.

Some US historians believe this plan stemmed from President Franklin D Roosevelt’s antipathy towards Charles de Gaulle. Roosevelt saw him as a dictator-in-training and sought to prevent him from ruling post-Pétain. (Marshal Henri-Philippe Pétain led the pro-Nazi government of unoccupied France at Vichy,1940-44.) The argument that Roosevelt intended to establish universal democracy is compelling but wrong (1).

The US was concerned that France, although weakened by its 1940 defeat, might reject the plan, especially if its presidency went to De Gaulle, who had vowed to restore French sovereignty. It feared France might use its nuisance capacity as it had when it opposed pro-German US policies after the first world war. France would not have wanted to relinquish its empire, rich in raw materials and strategic bases. The US had long called for an open door policy for goods and investments in all colonial empires (2). The US relied on twin strategies: ignoring De Gaulle, and dealing with Pétain’s regime with a combination of accommodation and toughness. It realised that Vichy, like the Latin American regimes dear to its heart, was more malleable than a government with broad popular support.

The US plan for a “Vichy-sans-Vichy” took shape. French elites supported the idea: they clung to the Vichy regime, which had restored privileges taken away by the pre-war republican government, and were eager to make a painless transition from German rule to the pax americana.

After December 1940 the US prepared to send troops to North Africa, with Robert Murphy, Roosevelt’s personal envoy. It attempted to cap italise on a symbol of French defeat: General Maxime Weygand, commander-in-chief during the German invasion and Vichy’s delegate- general to French Africa until November 1941. When this failed, it turned to General Henri Giraud. Soon after, US forces landed in Morocco and Algeria on 8 November 1942. The next to be wooed was Admiral Jean-François Darlan, stationed in Algiers, a collaborator who served as Pétain’s vice-premier and foreign minister from 1941-42. He remained at Pétain’s side when Pierre Laval returned to power in 1942-44 (3).

General Clark had Darlan sign an agreement on 22 November 1942 placing North Africa at the disposal of the US and making France a “vassal” state, subject to “capitulations” (4). The US assumed unprecedented rights over French territorial extensions in Africa, including overseeing troop movements; ports, airfields, military defences and munitions, communications networks and the merchant navy. The agreement also provided for US requisitions of goods and services; tax exemptions; extraterritorial rights; and US-determined military zones. Joint commissions would be responsible for law and order, current administration, censorship and economic policy.

Laval had sealed his fate by hoping for “a German victory” . Assisted by his son-in-law, René de Chambrun, a collaborationist corporate lawyer with dual US/French citizenship, Laval believed the US pledge that he would play a key role after a separate peace agreement, pitting Germany, Britain and the US against the Soviets, was reached. But US support for Laval was not compatible with French internal power struggles, and the separate peace proposal failed to take into account the Red Army’s key role in crushing Hitler’s Wehrmacht.

Darlan was assassinated by an anti-Vichyite with Gaullist connections on 24 December 1942. The US turned to General Giraud, who briefly served with De Gaulle as co-president of the French National Liberation Committee (CFLN), founded in 1943. After the battle of Stalingrad which marked the end of the German advance, Giraud was supported by senior Vichy officials, including Maurice Couve de Murville, overseas finance minister, who defected to the Allies in 1943. His supporters included industrialists such as Jacques Lemaigre-Dubreuil, a former member of the pro-fascist Cagoule group, who headed Lesieur oils and the Printemps department stores. Also onside were collaborationist bankers such as Alfred Pose, chief executive officer for the National Bank of Commerce and Industry.

Pierre Pucheu was the next Vichy official to embrace the US option, joining Giraud in Algiers. No one personified the Vichy regime better than Pucheu. In 1941 he became Darlan’s industry minister and then interior minister. He had served as a fundraiser for the fascist French People’s Party . He also championed economic collaboration with Germany and anti-communist repression, working on behalf of the Nazi occupation (including selecting communist prisoners executed in 1941 in retaliation for the assassin ation of German officers, and establishing special sections – anti-communist tribunals).

Spurned by Giraud, Pucheu was imprisoned in May 1943 and sentenced to death; he was executed in Algiers in March 1944. This appeased the communists, whom Pucheu had martyred; but de Gaulle was also warning the US and Britain, and frightening those who expected US saviours to supplant the Vichy regime. In 1943 a police officer joked: “The French bourgeoisie always presumed that US or British soldiers would fight on its behalf if the Bolsheviks won” (5).

The US depicted De Gaulle as a rightwing dictator and a puppet of French communists and the USSR. But it had to abandon plans to impose the dollar in liberated territories. On 23 October 1944 the Allies officially recognised De Gaulle as head of the French government: the USSR had recognised France’s true government two and a half years before. On 10 December 1944 France signed a treaty of alliance and mutual security with Moscow, to offset US power. De Gaulle described it in glowing terms (6).

Excluded from the Yalta conference in 1945 and dependent on the US, France became a key part of the US sphere of influence. But only vigorous resistance, internal and external, had saved it from becoming a US protectorate.

or read the book, written by an American, BTW:

August 28, 2015, 12:14 pm

“I remember what a shock it was to me, a retired U.S. naval officer, to learn about the torture at Abu Ghraib.”

Well, I guess with all that radar and sonar and GPS, nowadays, there’s no real need to open your eyes.

• Richard Morris
      August 29, 2015, 4:59 am

The short film of the these beautiful honest very bright students should be shown across America and Israel
      I found myself profoundly moved.
      I hope they get to read books like The Drone Eats With Me. Dark Hope by David Shulman/ Goliath by Max Blumenthal and so on
      When you have charlatans like Alan Dershowitz sending bile into the atmosphere what Hope is there?
      I attended a seminar on the future of Palestine /South America co-operation In London last week and the hope expressed there was that Latin America is finally coming out of the shadow of the USA
      These blessed kids need to find out more about their real country. America’s guilt in the persecution of the Palestinians is tantamount to taking part in genocide
      At least these young people give old people like me some hope for the future
      Richard Morris blog wallsofdespair.blogspot.com
      [email protected]

9. Mooser
    August 27, 2015, 5:38 pm

Gee, I gotta wonder, did the network of Jewish Day Schools spring up in the late 60’s and 70’s for the same reason the network of private Christian (church-affiliated) schools did? Fleeing public education for private, why?

• Steve Grover
      August 27, 2015, 10:34 pm

Mooser,
      Jewish Day Schools popped up so a child can live a Jewish life without having to struggle or miss out while living a Jewish life. This includes studying Judaism, observing all holidays, not violating Shabbat to participate in extra curricular activities and observing Kashrut.

BTW, the only thing Weiss and I agree on in his piece is this: “I’ll ignore the fact that the makers say they “love” Israel in their p.r. material” because the opposite is true.

• oldgeezer
        August 28, 2015, 1:05 am

Those reasons seems quite reasonable Steve. Reasons I could support.

It’s a shame that it was perverted to become a means to indoctrinate young impressionable children into accepting lies and propaganda as fact.

That seems to be more than contradictory to the stated purpose and perhaps it’s time to stamp the experiment as paid and cancel out any future use of such institutions to abuse children psychologically.

Yet another reason to despise zionism in all it’s forms whether it’s left or right. An ideology born in lies and only supported through lies. A blight on the world.

• Steve Grover
        August 28, 2015, 1:35 am

@oldgeezer
        You said:
        “It’s a shame that it was perverted to become a means to indoctrinate young impressionable children into accepting lies and propaganda as fact”
        Your comment proves you don’t known a damned thing about Jewish Day Schools.

August 28, 2015, 11:09 am

“Jewish Day Schools popped up so a child can live a Jewish life without having to struggle or miss out while living a Jewish life.”

Grover, I’ve heard that some Jewish kids in the US have to go to Catholic schools, and learn about mitzvahs in the back of a Dodge. The lessons hadn’t gone too far. The Rabbi wanted to be an actress, and McCohen was going to learn to fly…

On the other hand, the public schools were being integrated. And almost all the African-American kids were Gentiles!

August 28, 2015, 11:18 am

“Your comment proves you don’t known a damned thing about Jewish Day Schools.”

Except that they turn out real mensch’s like you, “Grubber”!
        Oh well, we all had our glory days. Did you letter in Dreidel?

• Steve Grover
        August 28, 2015, 11:30 am

Mooser belches out:
        “Grover, I’ve heard that some Jewish kids in the US have to go to Catholic schools, and learn about mitzvahs in the back of a Dodge.”
        Thanks Mooser for proving the need for Jewish Day Schools. I hope Chabad opens one on your street.

• Steve Grover
        August 28, 2015, 11:58 am

Sure Mooser, I lettered in Dreidel. And you meiner freund lettered in drei kop!

August 28, 2015, 2:39 pm

“I’ll ignore the fact that the makers say they “love” Israel in their p.r. material” because the opposite is true.”

I know “Grubber” it’s awful. Why are we Jews plagued with so many turncoats, traitors, people who say they “Love Israel” but really don’t! You can tell! Gee, “Gober” why do we have so many backstabbers and kapos among us?
        Gee, by our standards (I’m right there with you, “Glubber”) a good 75-90% of Jews are no good, won’t pray right, won’t eat right, and they schtup non-Jewish girls (of the opposite, I refuse to even conceive!) every chance they get. Where have we gone wrong? Why are we cursed with so many mosers? Hell, given all that out-marriage, a great many Jews aren’t even Jews any more!

Oh shit! (smites forehead) that’s right, we aren’t supposed to discuss this in front of the, uhs,, ummmm… others! I shoulda kept my mouth shut!

Hey, look over there, it’s Tribal Unity, and she’s wearing a bikini, and dancing the hootchie-kootchie!!

August 29, 2015, 12:38 pm

Mooser : “I refuse to even conceive!”

What! No Mooserettes? That’s terrible! The world needs more Moosers.

August 28, 2015, 3:14 pm

“I hope Chabad opens one on your street.”

I hope so too. I love all kinds of ethnic food, and Shish Chabads are among my favorites. Maybe they could get a permit for a food-truck.

• Annie Robbins
        August 28, 2015, 4:07 pm

can’t stop llllol

• Marnie
      August 28, 2015, 12:34 am

“Fleeing public education for private, why?”

My guess would be for the same reasons that home schooling became popular, to keep one’s children from being exposed to and becoming friends with the dangerous, horrible, unclean, subhuman non-white, non-Jew or non-Christian children.

August 28, 2015, 11:12 am

Marnie, the desegregation of American public schools was a great opportunity for all kinds of private-school hucksters.

10. Les
    August 27, 2015, 6:02 pm

It didn’t take long before America’s Pilgrim fathers, who considered themselves to be God’s Chosen People, to preach from their altars God’s blessing on them for exterminating the Indians whose land God’s Chosen People coveted.

11. JWalters
    August 27, 2015, 6:06 pm

American Jews have been lied to, not to save Judaism, but from an utter disrespect for Judaism. The liars’ “religion” is money, and they are “wealth bigots”. To them, people who are not wealthy (of any religion or race) are fair game to be preyed upon, used and abused.

They use the fanatical Jewish extremists as boots on the ground. The fanatics (who do not realize they are being used) are religious bigots. They believe people not of their religion are fair game to be preyed upon, used and abused. These are the people who apply the terms “beasts on two legs”, “grasshoppers” to be eliminated, and “grass” to be mowed to the people they prey upon. Their bigotry is every bit as cruel and heartless as it appears.

American Jews are torn between the lies the “wealth bigots” have been feeding them and the appalling actions of the religious bigots, when they learn of those actions. As Jewish psychologist (raised in Israel) Avigail Abarbanel explained, “It’s time for American Jews to recognize they have been duped”.

Thank you Phil for this eloquent article.

12. Les
    August 27, 2015, 6:22 pm

60,000 American Jews Live in the West Bank, New Study Reveals

Scholar Sara Yael Hirschhorn calls group ‘strikingly over-represented’ in settler movement.

• jimby
      August 27, 2015, 7:34 pm

JDL terrorist punks, Meir Kahane’s kids. Hebron is full of them.. Violent nasty terrorists.

• Marnie
      August 28, 2015, 12:31 am

And they brought their special “made in America” brand of racism, segregation, lynch mob mentality, etc. The Americans are the worst.

• oldgeezer
        August 28, 2015, 1:34 am

@Marnie
        “The Americans are the worst.”

Nah. Like all nations they are a mix of the best and the worst. Despite the jingoism and hollywood portrayal the are often the johnny come lately in the issue of human rights but a large significant portion of the population strives for that end. Racism is an endemic issue but given time they do eventually head towards the moral goal. This is a dark period, and has been for the past couple of decades in my opinion, but I don’t think it’s time to abandon hope. And such generalizations are an insult to those who strive for justice including many regulars here, and the countless others and sites which similar aims.

• echinococcus
        August 28, 2015, 1:38 am

Old Geezer,

Without wanting to play the literary critic or sumpin’, I believe Marnie was writing that Americans meaning American Zionist invader riffraff, are the worst of the Zionist settler lot. Which would be extremely hard to deny.
        Surely no one was taking this lot as representative of Americans at large.

• Marnie
        August 28, 2015, 2:31 am

@oldgeezer – as an American myself, my criticism of Americans comes from experience with some of them. I mean no insult to the millions of Americans who don’t occupy Israeli settlements, are not zionists, the great people who bring us Mondoweiss and some great people who post here.

August 28, 2015, 11:13 am

There was a lot of hope in America, and a possibility for change. Then came Reagen.

13. RoHa
    August 28, 2015, 4:12 am

“This is our past,”

If Americans think any past is “their” past, then I would expect it to be American history. Beyond that, all European history, since American mainstream culture is an extension of European culture. And finally, world history.

August 28, 2015, 8:42 am

RoHa : “But I’d better stop now, or I’ll start bringing in tropes and canards. I’ll duck out while I can.”

I can’t stop laughing….

RoHa : ‘Hold on, there. Aren’t these supposed to be Americans speaking? If so, why is just one (distorted) bit of European history “theirs”?’

It isn’t, unless they were there and experienced it.

• hophmi
      August 28, 2015, 12:46 pm

“Hold on, there. Aren’t these supposed to be Americans speaking? If so, why is just one (distorted) bit of European history “theirs”?”

Because a lot of these kids have grandparents who are Holocaust survivors, maybe. Or maybe their grandparents were Americans who helped liberate the camps. Or maybe the lesson many Jews took from the Holocaust and legacy of European persecution is that Jews are never completely safe as a minorities, even post-Enlightenment.

Go on, RoHa. You’ve wondered out loud many times whether Jews in Europe should be held responsible for their own persecution. It’s no secret.

August 28, 2015, 2:47 pm

“Go on, RoHa. You’ve wondered out loud many times whether Jews in Europe should be held responsible for their own persecution.”

And because RoHa may be guilty of a thought infraction (does it even rise to a misdemeanor, let alone a crime? And unsupported by a quote, of course.) we can’t hold Zionism responsible for anything!
        Such a deal. You can’t beat it.
        No wonder Hophmi calls us “my people”. He’s found so many ways to make us pay off.

• RoHa
        August 29, 2015, 5:32 am

And when a group of Americans regards themselves as a separate “us”, with a history that is not only distinct from that of other Americans, but also not part of American history at all, and peddled in the service of a foreign country, I am inclined to think that this is the sort of behaviour that will give other Americans a poor impression of the group.

• Keith
        August 29, 2015, 2:12 pm

HOPHMI- “Because a lot of these kids have grandparents who are Holocaust survivors….”

“Genetic changes stemming from the trauma suffered by Holocaust survivors are capable of being passed on to their children, the clearest sign yet that one person’s life experience can affect subsequent generations.

The conclusion from a research team at New York’s Mount Sinai hospital led by Rachel Yehuda stems from the genetic study of 32 Jewish men and women who had either been interned in a Nazi concentration camp, witnessed or experienced torture or who had had to hide during the second world war.” (The Guardian) http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/aug/21/study-of-holocaust-survivors-finds-trauma-passed-on-to-childrens-genes

August 29, 2015, 6:49 pm

Keith : “That pretty much explains everything. Inherited suffering. And not just these kids. Jewish geniuses at Mount Sinai hospital have proved that victimhood can be inherited. I guess the Germans are going to be paying reparations forever. Think I am joking? A quote and link follows. Perhaps this phenomenon applies to Jews only and not to us lesser breeds.”

Uh huh.

Furthermore, research on a sample of 32 is junk science.

August 29, 2015, 4:47 pm

“I know it gets hophmi worked up, but I really do not understand why it is so terrible to suggest that attitudes towards a group might be partly influenced by the behaviour of that group.”

Wait a minute, RoHa, isn’t that (“attitudes towards a group might be partly influenced by the behaviour of that group”) exactly what “Hophmi”, “Jon s” and the rest are constantly telling us about the Palestinians and/or Arabs?.

I would think that Hophmi would be very comfortable discussing things on that level.

• RoHa
        August 30, 2015, 3:56 am

“Wait a minute, RoHa, isn’t that (“attitudes towards a group might be partly influenced by the behaviour of that group”) exactly what “Hophmi”, “Jon s” and the rest are constantly telling us about the Palestinians and/or Arabs?”

Yes, but it seems that the principle only applies to groups which are not “my” people.

• hophmi
        August 31, 2015, 12:40 pm

“And when a group of Americans regards themselves as a separate ‘us'”

So, RoHa has a problem with every minority group in the United States, since they all speak collectively,

“with a history that is not only distinct from that of other Americans”

So, RoHa isn’t reading, because I clearly linked the history of the Holocaust to American history, which includes World War II, participation in liberation of concentration camps, and the experiences of Holocaust survivors who emigrated to the United States,

“and peddled in the service of a foreign country”

“I am inclined to think that this is the sort of behaviour that will give other Americans a poor impression of the group”

Something which heretofore hasn’t happened.

• RoHa
        September 1, 2015, 12:58 am

“So, RoHa has a problem with every minority group in the United States, since they all speak collectively”

Possibly. It depends how separate they think they are. (And the comma after “So” should not be there.)

“So, RoHa isn’t reading, because I clearly linked the history of the Holocaust to American history,”

Well, you tried. The Holocaust did not happen in the US, the perpetrators were not Americans, and the victims were not Americans. Even though some survivors emigrated to the United States, their experience was before they became Americans, and so not part of American history.

So the link is “participation in liberation of concentration camps”. But the history which is called “our past” in the article is the “darkness and persecution and victimhood” of European anti-Semitism, not the victorious American participation in liberating the foreigners in the camps.

“Nonsense, since the only people who believe that Holocaust survivors who tell their stories are doing so in the “service of a foreign country” are bigots,”

Clever shift from the Jewish education described in the article to “Holocaust survivors who tell their stories”. But I’m still talking about the education about European anti-Semitism as described in the article. Is that in service of a foreign country?

“Israel was portrayed as the answer to European anti-Semitism… and now we have Israel. And Israel is the place that we have to defend and protect, and Israel as the answer to all of those things. And if we don’t defend Israel, and we don’t protect Israel, then what happened in Europe is just going to happen again.”
        “I had a pretty strong sense that, like, my duty going out into the world was going to be to defend Israel”

To my undoubtedly bigoted eyes, that looks to me as though the education was designed to push American Jews into the service of Israel. How have I misunderstood?

“Something which heretofore hasn’t happened.”

If it hasn’t, good.

14. pabelmont
    August 28, 2015, 6:51 am

“farm system for AIPAC”. wonderful description. Education as propaganda. Like the USA’s general (public) education system a farm system for consumerists and pro-capitalists. do they still teach “CIVICS” in highschools? If so what do they teach? Imagine a discussion of Trump et al.

15. RobertHenryEller
    August 28, 2015, 6:54 am

What is the Hebrew word for “Madrasa?”

• Steve Grover
      August 28, 2015, 9:48 am

Question: What is the Hebrew word for “Madrasa?”
      Answer: מנדוויס (Mondoweiss)

• Annie Robbins
        August 28, 2015, 11:26 am

very funny steve.

robert, the hebrew word for madrasa is yeshiva

August 28, 2015, 11:26 am

“What is the Hebrew word for “Madrasa?”

Oh, everybody knows that! “Madrasa” was the site of a sort of Jewish Alamo, were a group of fanatical Jews committed suicide rather than have their kids go to public schools.

• Annie Robbins
        August 28, 2015, 11:29 am

mooser is on a roll today

• Steve Grover
        August 28, 2015, 11:34 am

Annie sez,
        “mooser is on a roll today”
        Obviously you’ve seen his belly!

August 28, 2015, 12:00 pm

“mooser is on a roll today”

Annie, many years ago I had a couple of Madrasa sport-jackets I very much fancied myself in. I like patterns woven into fabric, they remind me there’s always another day to dye.

August 28, 2015, 2:51 pm

“Annie sez,
        “mooser is on a roll today”
        Obviously you’ve seen his belly!”

Annie, that may not seem very funny to you, but believe me, it’s much funnier in English.

16. Kathleen
    August 28, 2015, 9:59 am

Great piece Phil. Will be watching doc.

17. Brooklyn
    August 28, 2015, 11:44 am

A person very close to me works as a teacher at a Jewish High School. A student went on vacation to Israel (as almost ALL of them do) and upon returning he told her “welcome home”. The response he got was “this isn’t my home, Israel is my home”. He was a bit surprised. This is a girl born & raised in the States (of Russian descent) – but now has a new homeland. A lot of the students get free education here, parents get gov’t help for food/housing but they go “home” to a country that neither they, their parents, grand-parents, great-grandparents, etc. come from and it is their “home”. While the Palestinians who were born there, parents were born there, grand-parents were born there, great-grand-parents were born there – but they have no rights to the land there. FASCINATING!

August 28, 2015, 1:30 pm

This girl is an example of those ‘divided loyalties’ that the zionistas assure us don’t exist.

18. Mooser
    August 28, 2015, 1:13 pm

Yup, this article shows me why, even tho I know what Alison Weir does wrong, what JVP and others object to, I can’t get too exercised about it. That’s the game we wanted to play, essentialization, attributions, a “Jewish” point-of-view, well, welcome to the playing field.

19. jon s
    August 28, 2015, 5:12 pm

I agree that this is an excellent and thought-provoking documentary.
    If a student was never taught about an event such as Deir Yassin, and then finds out about it on her own, she may very naturally resent not having been exposed to more information and may suspect that she’s been fed nothing but lies.
    As a teacher, I think that we should feel mature enough, and self-confident enough , not to ignore controversial and unsavory chapters in our history, and in our present-day reality. Doing so would be both morally wrong and ultimately futile.
    If American students can learn about the treatment of Native Americans, and about slavery, and other countries also deal with shameful events in their past, Israeli educators can discuss events such as the Deir Yassin and Kafr Kassem massacres.

August 28, 2015, 5:30 pm

Shorter “Jon s”: ‘Why should Jewish children ever have to grow up? All they need to do is listen to me!’

We are not infants, “Jon s”.

August 28, 2015, 5:33 pm

“Another question is whether Palestinian teachers are willing to deal with unsavory aspects of their history, how they deal with massacres perpetrated by their side. I imagine that many of them feel that the time for that kind of reckoning will be in the future , after the occupation is brought to an end .”

Good ol’ teachin “Jon s” What the hell are you talking about, “Jon s”? Could you drop the Orientalist tropes about “that kind of reckoning” and link or cite some of those “massacres perpetrated by their side” So they are “massacres” but you can’t name any?

God, Israel is so fucked with part-timers like you. Your dual-loyalty to Israel will kill it. Talk to us when you renounce your US citizenship. Til then, you are nothing but a freebooter, out to take advantage of Israelis, and then leave.

“As a teacher, I think that we should feel mature enough, and self-confident enough , not to ignore controversial and unsavory chapters in our history, and in our present-day reality.”

“Jon s” you are so full of it. Why don’t you go over to the thread on Tantura, and teach the Ziobots there “not to ignore controversial and unsavory chapters in our history, and in our present-day reality.” You are completely, from bottom to brim, full of it, “Jon s”.

• Richard Morris
      August 29, 2015, 5:15 am

The thought crosses my mind
      Do American high school children know that someone like me spent my first years on this earth scuttling between air raid shelters in London. I shared this experience with thousand of others/ I took ration books for food to the grocers for my mother and played on bomb sites
      To this day a factory siren sends shivers down my spine reminding me of air raid warnings. London was place of austerity and ruined buildings
      But the self loving Zionists don’t talk about this and that thousands of Britons died in the Nazi attacks
      Get reading folks
      Richard Morris
      wallsofdespair.blogspot.com
      [email protected]

August 29, 2015, 6:27 pm

Richard : “Do American high school children know that someone like me spent my first years on this earth scuttling between air raid shelters in London.”

This will give you some idea.

• RoHa
        August 30, 2015, 5:41 am

So you are a genuine Blitz survior, then? One of those cheery, salvage-collecting, coo-mister-are-you-a-real-Spitfire-pilot, could-tell-a-Heinkel-from-a-Dornier-by-engine-sound-alone, kids, as seen in the best 1950s British war films?

More strength to your arm.

I’m sure you won’t mind if I point out that the whiny Zionists don’t just ignore you, they ignore all the people of your age in China, Russia, Philippines, and a fair number of other countries who would think you had a comparatively easy time of it.

Self-obsession.

• RoHa
        August 30, 2015, 6:30 am

(I love those old films for the lessons in how to behave. Quiet courage, emotional restraint, understated humour, no boasting, cup of tea and carry on. Not a bad set of values, even if the reality did not quite match the films.)

• RoHa
        August 30, 2015, 6:33 am

And just in case someone gets confused, I mean the Zionists are self obssessed.

• Marnie
      August 29, 2015, 7:22 am

Typical. This isn’t another question JonS, it’s just the same old whataboutery you and your fellow hasbarists are so fond of.

20. Mooser
    August 28, 2015, 5:54 pm

The next Gaza ‘war’ will be won on the playing fields of Jewish Day Schools!

21. yonah fredman
    August 29, 2015, 2:47 pm

Clearly the day schools which are primarily a phenomenon of the Modern Orthodox community reflect the reflexive pro Israel attitude of the community that created these schools. It is not a good education that they are receiving on this issue.

Zionism has made us stupider because we have to argue that black is white. – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2015/08/student-hysterically-massacre#comment-152565

that’s one of the quotes here.

I would say: based on Matthew Taylor’s claim that fear that the prospective Muslim majority country that he and Gideon Levy envision will not be democratic or tolerant of Jews is by definition racist, illustrates that in this specific case anti Zionism has made its advocates stupider. For a rational discussion of what the imagined Palestine will look like or be like would not dismiss the pessimistic point of view with this epithet of racist and it is as seriously stupid as the education that these kids are receiving.

22. Mooser
    August 29, 2015, 4:28 pm

“For a rational discussion of what the imagined Palestine…”

That’s it Yonah, you go have “a rational discussion of what the imagined” might be. Don’t forget to take your pilpuls, and gracefully let go of anachronistic Zionism and embrace equality.

23. Pixel
    August 30, 2015, 12:38 am

Mooser, you’re really on roll, here, dude!

Love to read you; there’s nothn’ like than laughin’ an learnin’.

24. Pixel
    August 30, 2015, 12:52 am

@ Mooser

Peggy Noonan, presidential speechwriter, entering the room for her initial introduction to Reagan.

I first saw him as a foot, highly polished brown cordovan wagging merrily on a hassock. I spied it through the door. It was a beautiful foot, sleek. Such casual elegance and clean lines! But not a big foot, not formidable, maybe a little …frail. I imagined cradling it in my arms, protecting it from unsmooth roads.

continued here…Confessions of A White House Speechwriter

25. Pixel
    August 30, 2015, 2:21 am

Because there’s some great piss and vinegar in the comments here, and every once in awhile we’re allowed to dip our little toes into controversy, I’ll gather up all my courage and, with great respect, say that I have always had a problem with the phrase, “Holocaust Survivor”.

Do I get a “vote” on it. Only in so far as my (now deceased) mother-in-law was dragged off to a camp in Poland, which, essentially, means, no, I don’t get a vote. Then, again, neither would she. It’s part of “That Which Cannot be Challenged” Heck, if she was still alive today and lived in Europe she could be arrested for it. I have NO-doubt she immediately be labeled a Holocaust Denier!)

MY definition of of a Holocaust survivor is the same as mother-in-law’s: A Holocaust survivor is someone and -only – someone who was in the camps and who lived through it. Period.

Were other people directly affected by the Holocaust? Absolutely and TRAGICALLY, and to greater or lesser degrees in some families rippling out in all directions over generations.

I compare this situation to people called “suicide survivors.” That term refers to family members/loved ones of someone who has ended their own life.

What?

Folks who jump off the Golden Gate Bridge, along with tragically suffering returning vets, moms with postpartum depression, ex-football players, cyber-bullied teens, etc, who attempt to take their own lives — yet live to see another day are “suicide survivors”. THEY are the survivors.

When people die of cancer are their family members/loved ones referred to as “cancer survivors”? No.

When people die of in car accidents are their family members/loved ones referred to as “accident survivors”? No.

When people are raped are their family members/loved ones referred to as “rape survivors”? No.

The term”suicide survivor,” exists because no one ever thought about it.

The term “Holocaust survivor,” exists because people did think about it. First, because there’s greater power in greater numbers. Zionists have planted, fed, and milked that line for all it’s worth. Second, because people like to be part of things. It’s honestly awful to be left out. How can someone truly “be Jewish” especially kids, to and with other Jewish kids, if they can’t lay claim to someone in their family who died in the camps. Often the story is that – everyone – in their family died in the camps.

For some Jews that’s absolutely factual. But I contend that there are many more people who falsely making the claim or honestly believe what is a false claim. Do you know that, now that I think about it. I don’t know one Jewish person I have ever met in my life in any capacity, even for a fairly minimal length of time who has ever 1) not brought it up and made the claim or 2) waited for the topic to come up and if it did, say, “I really don’t know,” or “No one in my family was was in a camp”. or “All my family had already emigrated to the US.”

“Well, Pixel, that’s because pretty much every Jew does have a family member who died in/was in the camps”.

I simply don’t believe that.

… and neither did my mother-in-law. I’m sorry that I’m too tired to look for it right now, but in one of his books, Norman F relates a similar impression that his mother had on the general topic.

26. hophmi
    August 31, 2015, 1:40 pm

“A Holocaust survivor is someone and -only – someone who was in the camps and who lived through it. Period.”

OK. I think you’re very wrong. We wouldn’t refer to a survivor of the Rwandan genocide as only people who survived machete attacks. The category encompasses Hutus who were in Rwanda at the time of the genocide, because they were the targets. And that’s because the event caused them to behave in survival mode – to hide, to smuggle food, perhaps to join an underground movement, perhaps to watch as others, including close family members, were murdered or taken away, and maybe most damaging of all, to feel the guilt that survivors often feel for being alive when those close to them were killed. All this was part of the experience of Jews living in Nazi-occupied lands who were not in concentration camps or death camps.

Of course, the experiences of those who were in the camps are incomparably worse, as books like Primo Levi’s Survival in Auschwitz illustrate.

“I don’t know one Jewish person I have ever met in my life in any capacity, even for a fairly minimal length of time who has ever 1) not brought it up and made the claim or 2) waited for the topic to come up and if it did, say, “I really don’t know,” or “No one in my family was was in a camp”. or “All my family had already emigrated to the US.”

I don’t even know what to do with a statement like this, it’s almost beyond ridicule. I have met very many Jews in my life, and with the vast majority of them, I have not discussed their family’s experience during the Holocaust, and with those I have had such a discussion with, I’ve come across plenty whose families were in the United States before the war, including myself and my wife. I don’t know who you hang out with, but if you think that Jews are eager to claim that they lost family members in the Shoah, to the point that they’d lie about it, you are very, very much mistaken, sir.

It is true that most Jews who came to the United States from Poland, where 91% of the 3 million Jews died during the Shoah, are likely to have relatives who died, though they may be cousins, rather than direct relatives, depending on when they came. That’s just the way it is.

It is really rather obscene, however, to suggest that Jews would lie about having relatives who died in the Holocaust, and frankly, I think it’s a form of Holocaust denial and should not appear here.

August 31, 2015, 4:14 pm

‘It is really rather obscene, however, to suggest that Jews would lie about having relatives who died in the Holocaust,”

So you have found that Jews are more truthful than other people? People lie about all sorts of things, if they think they can gain advantage, but not us. Okay, nice to know. Got any water-front occupied-territory lots you want to sell me, Hophmi?