Health Advisory: Notes from a sandstorm

Today we woke up to a sandstorm blanketing the entire country. In Arrabeh it is so thick streetlights are on at noon. I don’t know if it is done automatically or if our mayor still turns them on and off manually himself because of budgetary constraints. Regardless, it is obvious that somebody up there is upset with someone down here. So, who is doing this to whom? I’ll leave figuring out the angry party to others and invest some thought in figuring out who angered Him or Her. Since this all is happening in Israel and Palestine, let me try and guess who is to blame, Abbas or Netanyahu. Abbas is threatening to resign. I think that should bring a smile if not a snicker to the continence of the Gods. The first page headline in Haaretz warns of him disturbing the status quo with his forthcoming UN speech. No wonder he goes around with that permanent whimsical look in his eye. I recall a fellow worker at the Ministry of Health once threatening to revolt if he didn’t get a pay raise; he would start referring to himself as ‘Palestinian,’ he said. Would Abbas do that now?

In my judgment it must be the Israelis who are raising all the dust. I just shared an outrageous piece on my Facebook account about teaching the Arabic Language at Jewish schools in Israel. It turns out that it is all done under the auspices of Israel’s security apparatus and in the context of stopping terrorist acts by Arabic speakers. The texts taught are inimical to the language and to its speakers and the overall scheme revolves around knowing thy enemy. That, of course, has meant that no Arabs are involved in the program thus leading to the current state of affairs where less than 10% of the teachers of the subject at Jewish schools are actually fluent in the Arabic language. For the several centuries that the Philippines was a Spanish colony, its educational system focused on teaching Catholicism to the locals. Many priests who served as school principles were actually illiterate. The important thing was to spread the faith.

Remember, we are speaking here of the Department of Jewish Education. In the Department of Arab Education in Israel, where for years a non-native Arabic speaker ran the show, the goal seemed to have been to help Arabs forget the language or at least not to be as stir crazy about its hypnotic charm, what with all its classic poetry and Koranic roots. Arabic language connoisseurs are regularly seen retching their guts out at hearing our youth speak Arabic with its generous sprinkling of Hebrew terms and structures.

And here is another potential brewing dust storm for you: This year, two weeks from now, Jewish and Islamic holidays coincide. Jewish customers calling to book rooms at the Crown Plaza (and some other resorts) in Tiberius and Eilat regularly receive an unsolicited advisory about the high likelihood that there will be many Arabs on site. As vacationers, that is, and not only as cooks, waiters, dishwashers, busboys, gardeners, maintenance staff and parking attendants. In some resorts officials went into some detail about known Arab characteristics such as offensive smell and tendency to messiness. The Channel 10 News team that aired the program went the extra mile and attempted to reserve rooms at the facilities under Arabic names and was not warned about the likelihood of finding Jewish vacationers there. It seems self-evident that Arab families would love for their children to brush against Jewish kids at the playgrounds.

I wonder if Israeli tour agencies issue regular travel warnings to their American and European pilgrim clients about the likelihood of running into some Arabs in Jerusalem despite the state’s persistent efforts to sanitize the holy site of such life forms.

WARNING: Because of the high atmospheric particle count, people with compromised lung and heart functions, pregnant woman, and the elderly should stay indoors and avoid physical exertion. Whatever you do, avoid exposure to Arabs, especially Palestinians.

About Hatim Kanaaneh

Dr. Hatim Kanaaneh is a Palestinian doctor who has worked for over 35 years to bring medical care to Palestinians in Galilee, against a culture of anti-Arab discrimination. He is the author of the book A Doctor in Galilee: The Life and Struggle of a Palestinian in Israel. His collection of short stories entitled Chief Complaint was released by Just World Books in the spring of 2015.

1. a blah chick
    September 9, 2015, 2:20 pm

Climate change is going to make the next few decades very interesting in the Levant.

• RoHa
      September 9, 2015, 7:06 pm

The climate has changed many times. What future changes do you expect, and why?

September 9, 2015, 10:38 pm

There seems to be a drying trend in the Mid East which shows no sign of stopping or reversing.

• a blah chick
        September 10, 2015, 9:51 pm

Well, If the issue is rising sea levels I find myself asking who’s getting the high ground?

• RoHa
        September 10, 2015, 10:30 pm

Anything aside from that? Cooler winters, perhaps?

The drying trend in the Fertile Crescent could be troublesome if it continues. Right now, it’s hardly apocalyptic. But that slight reduction in rainfall is in the Eastern part of the Crescent, not the Levant.

The recent drought (a short-term event) is much more important to the Levant.

But a drought or two do not a trend make. We had persistent drought in South Queensland for a number of years, with water restrictions. And then floods.

(The drying trend is so slight that the data need to be really tortured to squeeze it out, so it’s equally difficult to tell whether it is stopping or reversing. Given that the Fertile Crescent has been fertile for most of the last 5000 years, I expect it will reverse eventually. )

• RoHa
        September 11, 2015, 12:34 am

There probably won’t be a shortage of high ground for a while.

Currently the sea level is rising at a rate of around 3mm per year, which is the rate it rose at from 1931 to 1961. (Between 1961 and 1978 it slowed down to below 1mm per year.) At that rate it will take a long time to swamp the low ground, if the low ground stays where it is.

But since the land moves up and down as well, it is difficult to say that a particular bit will get inundated at a particular time. A low bit might get higher or lower. Still, these things go slowly. Plenty of time to adapt.

2. George Smith
    September 9, 2015, 3:29 pm

You are always good for a drink of laughter and a few bites of food for thought, Dr. Kanaaneh.

3. jon s
    September 9, 2015, 3:45 pm

This really one hell of a sandstorm, they’re saying it’s the worst ever recorded. It’s almost apocalyptic.

4. jon s
    September 9, 2015, 3:49 pm

And just my luck that I took my car to the carwash a few days ago…

• John O
      September 9, 2015, 3:50 pm

Whose water did you use?

• jon s
        September 9, 2015, 4:59 pm

John O,
        What do you mean by that?
        Where does the carwash get it’s water ?

September 9, 2015, 6:04 pm

“What do you mean by that?
        Where does the carwash get it’s water ?”

Every Israeli History teacher knows that the Middle East is a rain-forest area, and excess water is a big problem. He’s helping to get rid of some of it by washing his car.

• Kris
        September 9, 2015, 6:36 pm

@jon s: “Where does the carwash get it’s (sic) water?”

As a teacher, you might want to find out.

Somewhat off topic, but I have been wondering how the fundraising for the Dawabsheh family that you and your Jewish Israeli neighbors in Beersheba were doing has been going.

Ali Dawabsheh, 18-months old, and his parents are dead, the victims of an arson attack by Jewish “settlers.” Only Ali’s four-year-old brother, Ahmed, still in hospital, remains alive.

Israel pays compensation to Jewish victims of terrorism, but doesn’t pay compensation to victims of Jewish terrorism. So your fundraising will be very important to Ahmed if he lives.

September 9, 2015, 4:24 pm

Yes “Jon s” I think there’s an old Arabic saying: ‘The sandstorm doesn’t bother a man who has just stolen another man’s tent’

• SamT
        September 10, 2015, 1:05 am

Mooser,
        that saying has brio..
        But as a geologist, why is it called a “sand” storm when the diametre of the stuff is that of talcum powder?

• jon s
        September 10, 2015, 2:16 am

Kris,
        I really didn’t think that this would develop into a discussion of my favourite carwash.
        I assume that carwash -owned and operated by Bedouin- pays the municipal authorities for the water , like any other business or residence. The customers, such as myself , pay them, and they run a profitable business. And when this shitty sandstorm ends, they’ll have a huge line of dusty cars lining up outside…
        As to the subject of the Dawabshe family, they should be compensated just like Jewish victims of terrorism. I would like to see legislation on that. My friends and I are doing what we can.

• echinococcus
        September 10, 2015, 3:39 am

John S,

That’s Palestinian water, not yours. The ground it flows to is Palestinian land, not yours. Get the hell out and back to your country, the US.

• Kay24
        September 10, 2015, 7:21 am

Talking of water, it seems the long suffering Palestinians are forced to use contaminated water.
        It is undrinkable and the Palestinians are forced to buy water for usage. Some must be buying their own water back from the thieves who keep stealing theirs.

It seems Jon’s car gets washed with the cleaner stuff. The occupation is taking a toll on these territories, and very soon the zionists will have successfully inflicted all the pain and suffering they can muster, so that they would have “got rid of all Arabs from the Galilee”.

Those zionists are an example of utter evil.

• Kay24
        September 10, 2015, 7:35 am

Gaza unlivable soon – the zionist’s master plan has worked.

• Kris
        September 10, 2015, 10:55 am

@jon s: “I would like to see legislation on that……..doing what we can.”

It is as if I am young again, in Jim Crow Texas, listening to my white neighbors trying to discuss the latest hate crime while still staying within the acceptable mealy-mouthed parameters.

5. just
    September 9, 2015, 5:37 pm

You’re amazing, Dr. Hatim Kanaaneh!

To read the Israeli press as of yesterday, it would appear that the illegal wall is preventing the sandstorm from reaching Palestinians…or what little is left of historic Palestine, because they are never mentioned. It’s much the same way that they cover snowstorms and drenching rain. I hope that they’re right, since huge numbers of Palestinians in Gaza have NO SHELTER at all, so they couldn’t heed your kind warning even if they wanted to!

“Palestinian boy sleeps on mangy mattress among ruins of his family home during killer sandstorm”

some really good photos and the story @ http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/palestinian-boy-sleeps-mangy-mattress-6412282

Thank you, Doctor!

(Good to know that you have your ego intact, jon s~ too bad you’ve never learned nor been capable of empathy/compassion/accountability…)

• jon s
      September 10, 2015, 2:29 am

Just,
      Interesting that you accuse me of egotism and a lack of empathy and compassion…
      Forgive me for ringing my own bell, but who, among the MW commenters, went to the late Saad Dawabshe’s bedside and commiserated with his family and friends? And is trying to help them out? And is at present involved in raising support for African migrants? And time and again expressed sympathy for the civilians in Gaza?

• echinococcus
        September 10, 2015, 3:37 am

John S,

Let’s assume that you are the most charitable person on earth and that you have been expressing sympathy and giving quarters to Palestinians and commiserating with the victims of your occupation and conquest. What the Palestinians have been asking for 68 years, with all their sacrifices, however, is not charity but that you get the hell out of their country and stop robbing and murdering, PDQ. You know what to do with your charity.

• Marnie
        September 10, 2015, 4:58 am

“Forgive me for ringing my own bell”. No.

Your list of good deeds doesn’t fit with your posts. It’s a failed attempt on your part to look human. I hope to God you DID NOT visit the Dawabshe family because it’s in terrible taste. You could have instead sent a letter or flowers to them expressing your sorrow and prayers without intruding their space in the hospital. You have proven by that act that you have absolutely no respect for Palestinians. And judging from your posts I imagine it was deliberate. If you or one of your “friends” were in a hospital, having suffered a similar fate as the Dawabshe family, how easy do you think it would be for a Palestinian to visit you to “commiserate with family and friends?” You or I don’t have to go through checkpoints or be strip searched every time the wind blows, do we? It’s easy for us to come and go as we damn well please, isn’t it JonS? You’ve only proven, once again, that Israeli Jews have no shame, feel no remorse and have no respect for the lives, the privacy and sanctity of a non-Jew’s space. Go to hell; wait, you’re already there.

• eljay
        September 10, 2015, 7:48 am

|| jon s: … Forgive me for ringing my own bell, but who, among the MW commenters … ||

…has made it very clear that when it comes to the I-P issue he has no interest in justice, accountability or equality? That’s right: jon s. Ding-dong.

It’s quite something to see him playing the saint even as he continues to advocate, support, justify and/or excuse Jewish supremacism in/and a supremacist “Jewish State” and related past and on-going (war) crimes.

• just
        September 10, 2015, 8:01 am

How many of the 3 (three) Dawabshe funerals did you attend, jon s? How much financial or real relief have you contributed to the family? How many of African refugees are you sheltering and helping find work? When was the last time you were in Gaza in order to express your “sympathy” to the “civilians” and survivors of the latest massacre and continued siege?

(btw, no real hospital/burn unit/icu would allow a mere stranger or an evil PM at the “bedside” of such an immunocompromised and critical patient. So, your characterization that you were at the “bedside” is an overstatement at best.)

• diasp0ra
        September 10, 2015, 11:37 am

Jon S: “I’m nice to the people who are suffering because of me and others like me.”

You know what would be better for all of those people? If they weren’t in that situation in the first place due to Zionism and its regime of ethnocentrism.

Spare me about how kind the slave master can be to his slaves, it’s been done to death.

• Kris
        September 10, 2015, 5:57 pm

jon s, it is hard to take your professed concern for the people you are helping to oppress and ethnically cleanse very seriously. Let’s hope that you brought some comfort to the Dawabshe family by visiting the hospital, but I’m guessing they may feel like this:

• jon s
      September 10, 2015, 4:30 pm

hechinococcus,
      I live in my home, in the historic homeland of my people.
      It’s also the Palestinian homeland.
      I’m not going to “get the hell out” ,neither will most Israelis, and I don’t expect, or desire , the Palestinians to go away, either.
      Not going to happen

September 10, 2015, 7:25 pm

“I live in my home, in the historic homeland of my people.”

Look at him, styanding on the mountain-top, buirning some bush with the Ten Comandoes!

Weren’t you born in America, the good ol’ US of A? And don’t you have an American passport burning a hole in your pocket right now?
        You will never, ever be any more (if that much!) half loyal to Israel. You can play out whatever absurd fantasies (and financial advantages) you have about the “hysterical homeland”, and when the game gets real you are sooo gone. Israel can’t survive with a bunch of half-Israelis running around screwing things up, all with an escape ticket in their pants.

• Marnie
        September 11, 2015, 12:54 am

Not even going to try to prove the lies you told about your hospital visits huh? “Historic” is just that, history. Nothing else. And the Jewish people fucked up so bad they were expelled. Last time I checked, neither Herzl nor Ben Gurion nor the UN was GOD. The Israelites had a history in Palestine (emphasis on past) but Palestine is and continues to be the historic homeland to another people, let’s see, hmmmm, who are they now, oh right – PALESTINIANS! Who have lived and continue to live in spite of the violent, murderous zionists and their army of psychopathic teenagers. There was a time when there was harmony between all abrahamic faiths, where was actually peace in the city of peace. There was a time when the language of the land, arabic, was heard everywhere, but that era was brutally killed by the zionist horde, who declared it was their land from God and no one elses. So you’re staying with that story then? I haven’t been back to the US once in all the years since left, not once. There isn’t a revolving door for me but I know plenty of former Americans, British, South Africans, who continually go back and forth, back and forth and I wish they would just go back and stay back because personally, one foot here and another one somewhere else is wrong. The way I feel now compared to the way I felt over 20 years ago is like night and day. I call you out because you represent what makes me feel shame about being here.

September 13, 2015, 1:21 am

27 “historic homeland” and counting!

6. Marnie
    September 10, 2015, 1:13 am

It has been pretty gross for the last few days but I have shelter. Unlike thousands and thousands who were deprived (and continue to be deprived) of their own. And all some people can come up with is to piss and moan about having just washed their car. The same mentality who want “quiet” and will happily bomb the daylights out of a population in their quest. Where is the humanity?

7. talknic
    September 10, 2015, 2:58 am

@ jon s “… who, among the MW commenters, went to the late Saad Dawabshe’s bedside and commiserated with his family and friends? “

Lemme guess … you did … right? BTW how many people commenting on MW are in the region. Those of us who aren’t would be flying back and forth EVERY DAY commiserating with the victims of Israel’s vile intransigence http://mondoweiss.net/2015/09/israeli-clashes-invasion

“And is trying to help them out?”

You … right? By justifying Israel’s and Israeli crimes … what a novel MO

” And is at present involved in raising support for African migrants? “

You … right? Prove it. You’ve crapped in your nest too many times for anyone to believe a word you say without evidence

“And time and again expressed sympathy for the civilians in Gaza?”

If you actually had any sympathy, instead of trying to justify the occupation, illegal settlements, illegal sale of land in non-Israeli territories to Israelis, you’d be calling for justice on their behalf by having Israel end the aforementioned illegal activities.

8. Kay24
    September 10, 2015, 7:13 am

So has this stopped the zestapo when it comes to arresting Palestinians?

“Israeli Authorities Know Who Burned Palestinian Family Alive, Defense Minister Says
    Ya’alon says suspects not being identified to protect the sources; since attack that killed members of Dawabsheh family, three Jewish assailants have been detained.

Israel’s defense establishment knows who is responsible for the arson attack that killed three members of a Palestinian family two months ago, but has chosen to prevent legal recourse in order to protect the identity of their sources, Defense Minister
    read more: http://www.haaretz.com/news/israel/.premium-1.675422

• John O
      September 10, 2015, 8:48 am

So, what is the point of having these “sources”?

The source(s) is/are, presumably, informers within the squatter community, whose lives would be at risk if they were, for example, to give evidence in open court. As I said in a post a few days ago, there seems to be a strong culture of Mafia-like omerta in the occupied West Bank.

However, the authorities seem to have decided that it is more important to protect their agent than to bring murderers to justice. It has disturbing echoes of the notorious “Stakeknife” affair in Northern Ireland.

• jon s
      September 10, 2015, 4:49 pm

Marnie,
      You may have missed the account I posted:

Just,
      As you can see from my account, you’re correct, and I didn’t mean “bedside” literally. I was quite clear in the original description of the visit. Sorry for any misunderstanding
      As to the rest, I’m not under interrogation here. I’m not a political leader, I’m not wealthy, I’m a private citizen, a humble teacher, and as I said I do what I can.

talknic,
      I’ve never, ever, deliberately lied on Mondoweiss. But If you don’t believe me – I’ll just have to live with it.

• Marnie
        September 11, 2015, 1:07 am

LOL!!!!! Yes, you have to live with it. But you don’t have to live here. You have dual citizenship, right?

hum·ble

/ˈhəmbəl/

adjective
        1. having or showing a modest or low estimate of one’s own importance.

“he was humble about his stature as one of rock history’s most influential guitarists”

My own definition: A person least likely to “ring” their own bell.

• jon s
        September 11, 2015, 3:44 am

Support the Dawabshe family:

If you scroll down below the Hebrew, there’s English.

The goal was 80,000 shekels. Over 130,000 have been raised so far.

September 11, 2015, 10:46 am

“In Israel there’s a rising tide of racism , xenophobia and anti-democratic tendencies, especially (though not exclusively) among the Orthodox Jews.”” “Jon s”

“I’m non-Orthodox, and (ROTFLMRDO) and left-wing” “Jon s”

“Jon s” will be one of those settlers who comes back to the US sniffing about how right-wing the Israelis are, and how he can’t do a thing with them.

September 12, 2015, 10:36 pm

I heard a good one today. A married couple with a teenage son and daughter moved back from some illegally occupied encampment in Palestine, but generally, you know people say “from Israel”. Anyway, here was the reason:
        “See, if we stayed in Israel, it looked like the kids might start mixing with Arab boys and girls. We are concerned about this. We don’t want to force our kids, but if we are here in the US there’s much more chance they will meet a nice Jewish or Gentile person, and marry within the faith.”

• ckg
      September 10, 2015, 8:12 pm

@Kay24–Ya’alon’s statement came up at the State Dept briefing today (and the response was predictably mere rhetoric):

QUESTION: A follow-up on the Palestinian issue?

MR KIRBY: Sure.

QUESTION: Okay. Now, all along since the 31 of July when the burning of the Dawabsheh family home, you indicated that you expect the Israelis to apprehend the perpetrators. Yesterday Israeli authorities said that they know who the perpetrators are, and in fact, the defense minister, Moshe Yaalon, said yes, we know who they are, but we are not going to bring them to trial because that will compromise our intelligence sources. Do you have any comment on that?

MR KIRBY: We’ve seen those reports and again urge Israeli authorities to apprehend the perpetrators of the attack and to bring them to justice. We condemned in the strongest possible terms this vicious terrorist attack. We convey again our profound condolences to the Dawabsheh family and extend our prayers for the recovery —

QUESTION: (Inaudible.)

MR KIRBY: I’m sorry? The recovery of Ahmed after the death of his mother on the eve of her 27th birthday. We urge all sides to maintain calm and avoid escalating tensions in the wake of this tragic accident – incident.

QUESTION: So you find that the comments by the Israeli defense minister unacceptable – or the justification?

MR KIRBY: I’ve stated our reaction.

• Marnie
        September 11, 2015, 2:45 am

MR KIRBY: I’ve stated our reaction.

There were usual condemnations in the strongest possible terms (wink-wink). The official state dept. response is set in stone. We condemn and do nothing. Why? Because we are just as bad, if not worse.

• Kay24
        September 11, 2015, 6:59 am

Surely our officials could use stronger language and be a bit stern with Israel? Whether it is illegal settlements or bombing Gaza to the stone age, the language from our leaders are all roses and candy.

9. Mooser
    September 10, 2015, 7:38 pm

“I’ve never, ever, deliberately lied on Mondoweiss.”

“I’ve never deliberately lied on this blog. Not that I would be caught, just a little promise I made to myself.” – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/profile/jon-s?keyword=deliberately#sthash.FABWIgb3.dpuf

Not that he would be caught, of course. So he promised himself!

“on factual matters, I’ve never deliberately lied on this forum (a little promise I made to myself).” – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/profile/jon-s?keyword=deliberately#sthash.FABWIgb3.dpuf

Not that he would ever be caught. And it was such a little promise!

“5. I’ve never deliberately lied on this forum. A little promise I made to myself.” – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/profile/jon-s?keyword=deliberately#sthash.FABWIgb3.dpuf

Not, of course, as if he would be caught by the likes of us! But he would know, so he promised. Zionists have very rigid consciences.

“And I decided, when I first started posting here, never to deliberately lie in my comments.” – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/profile/jon-s?keyword=deliberately#sthash.FABWIgb3.dpuf

Not that anybody would catch a mayven like you. But you turned that “decision” into a “promise”! Gosh, that’s it, “Jon s” when questioned, turn on the smarm.

“Jon s” of course has another big use of “deliberately”. It’s always used after Hamas (“Hamas deliberately….)” and Israel, of course, get’s that good old “never deliberately” that it deserves. Oh well, that’s why they call it “history”

September 10, 2015, 7:53 pm

And remember, he said “deliberately lie”! Can’t indict him unless you know his exact state of mind when he wrote the lie! Ha, ha! Escape clause. The sophistication of the Zionist rhetorical technique is very intimidating!

10. Marnie
    September 11, 2015, 5:58 am

@JonS
    “Support the Dawabshe family: link to headstart.co.il If you scroll down below the Hebrew, there’s English. The goal was 80,000 shekels. Over 130,000 have been raised so far.”

Kind of like the child molester paying for his victims’ therapy. Why not use this money as a reward for information leading to the arrest, prosecution and conviction of the perpetrators? That would put this blood money to excellent use and probably do a lot more to help the family deal with their multiple losses knowing that the murderers are behind bars and no longer free as a breeze.

• jon s
      September 11, 2015, 4:11 pm

Marnie,
      Your absolutely right, I don’t have to live here.

Your idea of a reward actually isn’t bad. I just wouldn’t like it to come at the expense of the funds being raised for the family, primarily for Ahmad Dawabshes rehabilitation. Reward money should be in addition.

September 11, 2015, 4:34 pm

“I live here because I feel at home”

And naturally, “Jon s” getting his “histrionic homeland” naches is worth any number of Palestinian lives.

(BTW, “Jon s” try not to be such a typical American, okay, if you want to be an Israelist. Don’t say “I feel at home” with that breathtaking sense of international entitlement Americans have. Man, go for the Jewish angle! Hit ’em hard, in the gut!:
        “I live here because I have nowhere else to go! G-ddamnit! Everyplace else, they have beaten and…and etc.”
        Try and at least put on a proper show. Try not to sound like you are deciding between one affluent suburb and another. Or deciding on a car-wash. Really, it’ll help, c’mon man, pull at their kishkas a little.

September 11, 2015, 4:41 pm

“Perhaps you should ask youself why you live in a country for which you express nothing but hatred.”

“Jon s” You don’t even live in Israel, do you? Don’t you live in one of those,…. what do they call those again?

Oh wait, I get it! That was one of the accidental ones. You didn’t do it deliberately, you just forgot that some people (a dwindling handful, I am sure) do not see the settlements as part of Israel.

• Marnie
        September 12, 2015, 2:02 am

It isn’t the land I’ve “expressed nothing but hatred for” but a fair number of people squatting on it. I look forward to the day that this land, whatever name it will be, will be a secular democracy for all. (Will you be needing a ride to the airport when that happy day comes? Am sure ReMax or AngloSaxon real estate will help you with all your get outta Dodge needs.)

September 12, 2015, 10:42 pm

Instead of treating it like a resort which doesn’t quite meet your expectations? Disappointing, but nothing to get really upset about.

September 13, 2015, 1:34 am

“Your idea of a reward actually isn’t bad.”

I was naive enough to think that people would want to turn in arsonist-murderers because if they did it to people, and got away with it, they might very well do it to anybody who gets in their way. And cause it’s like, you know, murder. What does the Tamlud say? Let’s see:

‘The Lard your God, he forbids you to turneth in the arsonist-murderers from your settlement or out-post, so that Tribal Unity will not be broken! Death is the harvest of the man who violates Tribal Unity!
        Unless, of course, there’s sufficient reward money. Now you’re talkin’ justice!

And “jon s” with the natural graciousness every Zionist practices, says your idea “actually isn’t bad”. He must be feeling magnanimous today.

11. jon s
    September 11, 2015, 4:20 pm

Marnie, your analogy to a child molester etc. is way off base. I’m sure that the people raising the donations are not the perpetrators.

• Marnie
      September 12, 2015, 1:16 am

JonS – it was between pedophile, rapist and serial killer.

“I’m sure that the people raising the donations are not the perpetrators” is a great example of the “banality of evil”. Only a zionist could feel at home in someone else’s home.

• jon s
        September 12, 2015, 4:56 pm

Marnie,
        I tried to explain, above, why I feel quite at home here.
        There’s the big picture, opposing the occupation and the settlements, and there are also small acts such as visting the hospital and helping the Dawabshe family .
        It may be a long road, but I prefer not to sink into despair and hatred like you. As we read in this week’s Torah portion ” It is not in heaven” (Deuteronomy 30:12).

Shavua tov and Shana Tova

• Kris
        September 12, 2015, 5:25 pm

@jon s: ” It may be a long road, but I prefer not to sink into despair and hatred like you.”

Those hurtful words do you no credit, jon s.

Probably what you meant to say is: “It may be a long road, but I prefer to relax into complicity and entitlement, unlike you.”

September 12, 2015, 10:45 pm

“Some of us haven’t given up on working towards Israeli-Palestinian peace and reconciliation.”

By living in an illegal settlement? Golly-gee, I can’t think of anything which says “Israeli-Palestinian peace and reconciliation” like an illegal settlement.
        And then, just to add insult to injury, you sit there and tell them how you (freebooters and mercenaries) are “leftists”. That ought to give them lots of hope.

• Marnie
        September 13, 2015, 12:27 am

@JonS – “I live in my home, in the historic homeland of my people.” And another post “I live here because I feel at home here in my people’s homeland where my father and grandfather were born and are buried. It’s where I want to live, where I want my family to live.”

I don’t care why you are here, but using the “historic homeland” mantra is absolutely ridiculous. The Hebrews blew it. Like the Edsel, they had their shot but in the end just did not perform to standard (that were actually written in stone) and got the heave ho.

Feeling at home means a comfort with one’s surroundings (apartheid, racism, ethnic cleansing). I won’t feel “at home” until life, liberty, comfort, happiness, freedom of movement, freedom of religion and from religion and respect of the individual is the right of all people and not the exclusive property of Jews.

• Annie Robbins
        September 13, 2015, 12:51 am

jon is so into historic homelands, except when it’s someone elses. it reeks of hypocrisy.

September 13, 2015, 1:08 am

“it reeks of hypocrisy.”

But the fascinating thing about “Jon s” is that he always expects everybody else to love the stench. Is that a kind of arrogant assumption of privilege or clulessness? I don’t know, but I know one thing. It’s as 21st. Century American as apple pie. Oh yes, it’s wingnut American, but it’s definitely “made in USA”

“I live here because I feel at home here in my people’s homeland”

Marnie, give the guy a break. Do you realize what “Jon s” would be if he lived in America? All he would be is a citizen like everybody else, and never subjected to a ‘less-than-equal’ status in any way. His religion would be nobody’s business but his own, and give no material or legal advantages. He would be subject to all the same laws and conditions as anybody else. For G-d’s sake, how can a man survive, raise a family, under conditions like that?

12. Mooser
    September 11, 2015, 4:27 pm

” I’m sure that the people raising the donations are not the perpetrators.”

“Jon s” don’t you think that this is a good time to mention that you have never “deliberately lied” on Mondoweiss? (Not, of course, that anybody would catch you!) Wasn’t it, if my memory doesn’t fail me, a “little” promise you made to yourself?

“Jon s” c’mon home to the USA, where “hamburgers sizzle on an open grill, night and day!” Stop screwing over Israel with your absurd “histrionic homeland” nonsense. No small country can survive people using as an amusement park or playing hole-in-the-wall gang.

• Marnie
      September 13, 2015, 9:24 am

Words fail me Mooser but I’m sure glad they don’t fail you –

September 13, 2015, 2:48 pm

Marnie, it took me a while, but I think I finally figured out where the real dual-loyalty problem is.

• jon s
      September 14, 2015, 5:27 am

Annie,
      This country is both the Jewish and the Palestinian homeland, and that’s the essence of the conflict: one territory, two nations. Two peoples who love and feel an allegiance to the same homeland. Any initiative to peacefully resolve the conflict has to take that into account.

• eljay
        September 14, 2015, 7:15 am

|| jon s: This country is both the Jewish and the Palestinian homeland … ||

(Mandate) Palestine was and is the homeland of all Jewish and non-Jewish people living in and up to ngenerations removed from it.

Israel is the homeland of all Jewish and non-Jewish Israelis living in and up to ngenerations removed from it (incl. ethnically-cleansed refugees).

Neither Israel nor (Mandate) Palestine was or is the homeland (or “historic homeland”) of all people in the world who happen to be Jewish.

|| … and that’s the essence of the conflict … ||

The essence of the conflict is:
        – the Zio-supremacist belief that Jews are entitled to a religion-supremacist “Jewish State” in as much of (Mandate) Palestine as possible; and
        – the past and on-going (war) crimes committed by Zio-supremacists to realize and maintain that belief.

|| … Any initiative to peacefully resolve the conflict has to take that into account. ||

Any initiative to resolve the conflict has to take justice, accountability and equality into account.

• diasp0ra
        September 14, 2015, 7:18 am

No, the essence of the conflict is ultra Zionist nationalism and a call of exclusivity to the land, and the ethnic cleansing and war crimes mobilized to achieve that.

Your “essence of the conflict” is so clean and makes it seem like Zionists were here for ages when in fact they were a minority of fresh off the boat immigrants from Europe who thought they could displace the indigenous population with settler colonialism.

• eljay
        September 14, 2015, 7:28 am

|| diasp0ra: … You can have a Palestinian state and it be the Jewish homeland at the same time, because Palestinians can be of all faiths and religions.

You can’t have a Jewish state and it be the Palestinian homeland at the same time, because Judaism is not something everyone can or should join. ||

Bingo.

Palestinian can be a bureaucratic nationality that is granted to all citizens of, immigrants to and expats and refugees from a Palestinian state.

Jewish is a religion-based title one acquires either by undergoing a religious conversion to Judaism or by being descended from someone who underwent a religious conversion to Judaism. It is not a bureaucratic nationality that is granted to citizens of, immigrants to and expats and refugees from the “Jewish State”, and there’s no indication that it ever will become one.

• talknic
        September 14, 2015, 11:36 am

@ jon s “This country is both the Jewish and the Palestinian homeland, and that’s the essence of the conflict: one territory, two nations”

As of 00:01 May 15th 1948 (ME time) http://wp.me/pDB7k-Xk the conflict has been over Israel, a state, occupying and illegally acquiring what remained of Palestine after Israel’s sovereign extent had been proclaimed

“Two peoples who love and feel an allegiance to the same homeland. Any initiative to peacefully resolve the conflict has to take that into account.”

Strange, most countries go by their borders. See the Egypt/Israel peace treaty as a prime example, where Israel was required and agreed to withdraw from all Egyptian territory before peace was assumed. http://wp.me/pDB7k-ZZ

September 14, 2015, 1:08 pm

“This country is both the Jewish and the Palestinian homeland,”

“Jerry, if you believe it, it’s not a lie!” (George Costanza)

“Jon s” was born in the US, his money comes from the US, and he has a US passport in his pocket.
        Naturally “Jon s” is terrified of going to any country where Jews are merely a successful cohort among equals, (like his birthplace).
        Nope, “Jon s”, thinks he deserves Jewish supremacy, equality isn’t good enough for him.
        He’s frightened to death of the US. He would also have to compete against US Jews of average learning and experience. Why should he set himself up to lose like that?

• Marnie
        September 15, 2015, 12:40 am

The essence of the conflict has been and continues to be the theft and ethnic cleansing of Palestinian lands. To continue the theft by ratcheting up fear of non-Jewish neighbords in other countries to encourage aliyah. To continue to build settlement after settlement stealing more and more Palestinian land. To the point that settlers are, in the dark of night, taking over Palestinian homes in east Jerusalem. And all the while this is happening, JonS, you as a “humble teacher” play your very important role as propaganda minister to the schoolchildren in your care, continuing to spin the tall tales about the “Jewish homeland” in Palestine.