Bloomberg’s int’l editor to host event on ‘incredible courage’ of Israeli soldiers (including Netanyahu)

US Politics

A few years after his son served in the Israeli army, journalist Ethan Bronner is going to promote that military force, in New York. The 92d Street Y’s Facebook page features an event a week from Sunday. Bronner is managing editor for international news at Bloomberg. Ticket prices are $32.

Top Israeli espionage expert Michael Bar-Zohar is joined by Ethan Bronner for a riveting look inside the most daring and white-knuckle missions of the Israeli Special Forces, as told in his new book, No Mission Is Impossible.

They spotlight some of the soldiers and top commanders from Israel’s past and present—including Ariel Sharon, Ehud Barak, the brothers Netanyahu, and others—who made them happen, revealing the skill, strength and incredible courage of the men and women behind these crucial missions that shaped Israel and the world at large. They will also address the role of the Mossad, the subject of Mr. Bar-Zohar’s previous bestselling book, Mossad: The Greatest Missions of the Israel Secret Service.

Bronner was of course formerly the New York Times deputy national editor and before that its bureau chief in Jerusalem, where we frequently asserted that he was way too sympathetic to Israeli claims. His son served in the Israeli army and Bronner used to say it was his son’s choice. Sounds like there was some home cookin!

Notice that the event will praise Benjamin Netanyahu. From Wikipedia:

Netanyahu joined the Israel Defense Forces shortly after the Six-Day War in 1967 and became a team leader in the Sayeret Matkal special forces unit. He took part in many missions, including Operation Inferno (1968), Operation Gift (1968) and Operation Isotope (1972), during which he was shot in the shoulder. He fought on the front lines in the War of Attrition and the Yom Kippur War in 1973, taking part in special forces raids along the Suez Canal, and then leading a commando assault deep into Syrian territory.

PS. Last night at an event I did with Ghada Karmi in NY, a questioner asked why US politics are so skewed to favor Israel. I said it is because of the organized Jewish community, and that’s why I organize in my community chiefly. Consider this event, a liberal Jewish venue that has censored Palestinian voices, and consider Bronner’s career, unimpeded by this conflict of interest, installed now in a media organization headed by a man who has funded clinics in Israel (and flown to Israel when it is engaged in slaughters, to give solidarity, and who has spoken of the anti-semitism that marred his own father’s life), and — well, this is the heart of the Israel lobby.

1. JWalters
    November 3, 2015, 8:46 pm

I recall Michael Bloomberg talking to Tavis Smiley, telling Tavis about his emotional attachment to Israel. I suppose that’s why Charlie Rose’s interviews on Bloomberg Media NEVER truly bring up the Palestinian perspective. And the Palestinians he does interview know enough to curb the facts or they’ll never be invited back. It’s painful to watch somebody with Charlie’s intelligence and intellectual curiosity be so painfully muzzled. Zionism is an obvious cancer on America’s freedom of speech and democracy.

• Kathleen
      November 3, 2015, 9:38 pm

Charlie has been rolled and continues to roll over

• msmoore
      November 4, 2015, 7:57 am

Would appreciate some evidence of Rose’s intelligence and intellectual curiosity. I’ve never seen him challenge any mainstream position on any subject in any meaningful way. He is a shill.

2. Kathleen
    November 3, 2015, 9:43 pm

Really telling that Bronner never suffers any consequences for his massive bias..in fact does incredibly well. When you try to wrap your mind around the control and power over this issue in both the NYBloody Times and Bloomberg News…you are ever so appreciative of the internet.

Mondoweiss helping bring down the walls of silence and false claims about the ccnflict.

Would be great to have a venue with Breaking the Silence soldiers at the same time.

3. pabelmont
    November 3, 2015, 9:54 pm

JWalters:

Once in America there was “society” — a/k/a “the 400” — as the cream that rose to the top, and then there were hoi polloi, nowadays called “the 99%” who might be a human community but were certainly not “society”.

Well, there is perhaps a Jewish “community” (or many of them), but there is only one creme de la creme, the big-money folks, often the stalwarts of AIPAC, usually (it seems tp me, but I could be wrong) Zionists born, made, convinced, or by association, or merely not wanting to rock the societal [Zionist] boat, as society folks are wont to wish not to do — and this cream, this 1% so to speak, owns newspapers, TV stations and TV networks, dictates to synagogues and the great Jewish organizations, for none of these things can exist or be run without a lot of money.

Charlie Rose may work for big-Zion, NPR may be run by big-Zion, WNYC may be run by big-Zion, NYT ditto, and the reason for so supposing is in what they produce. The USA’s government does not censor. But there is societal censorship. Big-Zion censors. I am not convinced that Jewish communities have always censored or always will. Compare Open Hillels and JVP to AIPAC. But, again, the Jewish “society” censors, demands unanimity on Israel. And big-Zion appears to control the American MSM.

I’m not sure that the Jewish communities are wholly irrelevant to all this and that their taking up the cause of Palestine might not have an effect, but they do not run the USA’s MSM. It is big-Zion that does.

And it is not “the people” that run the USA, but the 1%, the plutocracy (or oligarchy) that do. A recent cartoon shows a psychiatrist’s office, the patient on the couch is the USA and is complaining that he spends too much money fighting useless wars and asks the psychiatrist why he does it. The psychiatrist replies, “You do it because you have a military-industrial complex”.

And the USA also has an Israel-complex. I call it big-Zion. AIPAC and friends.

• Elliot
      November 3, 2015, 10:43 pm

“I often feel that there is a confusion between the (or various) Jewish Community(ies) and the leadership of the big Jewish organizations, synagogues, etc. The leadership is solidly Zionist and attempts to train and constrain the communities to be Zionist. A lot of social pressure there. Top down. ”

I totally agree with this analysis. Most Jews are ready to flip in an instant. It’s the combination of the deep pockets and the professionals who believe in Zionism as a religion that keeps the lid on the Jewish community. Those who work for a living are not going to turn against their donors because “Israel” serves a function for them too. Particularly in synagogues and Jewish communal institutions, they can’t figure out what they stand for. “Israel” is perfect for the job. It’s a bit like God only more so. So unreal. Since it’s far away, people can argue all day about it and it doesn’t really matter. How many Palestinians can you fit on the head of a pin?
      The Jews who care about the Palestinians swallow the racism because they can’t be bothered to fight it. And they just want a place to be Jewish. Those who can’t stomach it, give up on Jewish community. So I don’t see the Jewish community changing any time soon.
      If I were Sheldon Adelson’s mirror image, I’d give a few million to fund an alternative Jewish community. Put a bunch of rabbis and executives on the payroll. That would kickstart a revolution in the Jewish community which might break the system.

• Philip Weiss
        November 4, 2015, 12:41 am

So this most highly educated and affluent group is undemocratic and tyrannized? I don’t believe this. Yes maybe 35 percent of the community is composed of the zealots, but that is actually critical mass; and the bulk signs off out of ethnic solidarity and fear. Because of our history of persecution and ghettoization, we accept the charge to fall in line for apartheid; because Israel was the answer to the Jewish question following the European genocide.
        How do you explain Bernie Sanders? Passivity? No: he believes. And he’s his own man in so many other areas. It’s an ethnic knot. How do you explain my mother, who murmurs Schwerner Chaney and Goodman in reverence– and then racism about Arabs.
        I still believe in organizing that community, to effect the revolution you imagine, because it’s the ballgame in the US; but it’s a huge battle for hearts and minds in a willingly brainwashed community

• MaxNarr
        November 4, 2015, 2:21 am

@Phil, that is a very poetic post, however the truth is that your poetry and this website in general is supporting the stabbing of your people, the Jewish people in Jerusalem. Will you, will @Annie, will @talknic will @Kalithea, all who have on record justified the murder of Jews (I have the records) or will anybody who has time-and-again on this hate-site justified the fact that Jews are being stabbed and murdered because they live in Jerusulam, will you condemn these stabbings?

You RUN this website, so see what you have wrought. Words have meaning, and your “war of ideas” has real consequences.

Take some time to search your soul.

• YoniFalic
        November 4, 2015, 6:53 am

I found the following relevant.

Premodern eligious Jews saw Jewish suffering as a reflection of God’s unknowable will.

Modern secular descendants of religious Jews saw Jewish problems in the 19th century as evidence of gentile depravity.

Their descendants in the 20th and 21st centuries view the resistance of natives to Eastern European invader depredations in the Levant as justification for slaughtering the even more depraved natives.

Thus, the descendants of traditional Eastern European Jewish communities have become the last group on the planet to practice genocidal European colonialism, and they have managed to guilt-trip European-origin gentile elites into giving them a license to carry out genocide of an inoffensive native population.

The progression is obvious even if Lindemann did not follow his own logic.

• YoniFalic
        November 4, 2015, 8:18 am

@maxnarr

I grew up in Israel and served in the IDF — something that makes me feel dirty. I left because I don’t consider genocidal European racist invaders to be my people (and I told my sister that I could not fault the Palestinian that killed her if she stayed in Israel).

Why should Philip Weiss consider “Jewish” colonialist invaders anywhere in Palestine to be his people?

@Philip Weiss

Do you consider genocidal European racists that have invaded Palestine to be your people? If so, why?

• Elliot
        November 4, 2015, 8:32 am

Phil,
        Bernie Sanders is a true believer. And he’s ancient. I don’t know the percentage diehards and true believers but, as you say, it’s certainly a minority. Less so, as the older generation gives way to the 20 somethings who overwhelmingly don’t care.
        I know that the majority of rabbis and other professionals would be more outspoken on the left if they didn’t fear their masters, the older deep pockets who keep the Jewish community afloat. I know J Street is not popular here but look at how many rabbis signed their names to that, which means that many more would if they weren’t terrified. How many would sign on to JVP if they could be sure that step wouldn’t leave their kids without college funds? But to listen to the ADL and AIPAC, you would think practically every rabbi was with them.
        The evidence is that the organized Jewish community is in deep crisis. The underlying economic reality is that the money is with the older grandparents who aren’t getting any younger or richer On top of that, the suburban synagogue is losing relevancy and haemorraging members. Already most Jews don’t affiliate. Now, even the affiliated Jews are leaving the synagogue. The Jewish community is practically in panic mode. And the deep pockets can’t save something that isn’t there. Even money has its limits.
        How long will the rabbis cling to a broken ideology that is losing currency by the moment? When the shell of the establishment cracks, the ironclad hold on Zionism will break too.

November 4, 2015, 11:20 am

I am thankful the balebatisheh yiden are as a closed book to me.

• Emory Riddle
        November 4, 2015, 11:27 am

MaxNarr keeps referring the murder of Jews — presumably limited to Israeli Jews — yet never once has referred to the murder of Palestinians by Israeli Jews — an event that is at least ten times as common as the killing of Israelis.

Why is that Max?

• Philip Weiss
        November 4, 2015, 12:18 pm

Elliot, thanks for response. Bernie is a true believer. So is Ethan Bronner evidently. So is Chuck Schumer. So is Eric Fingerhut. And Barney Frank. And Ann Lewis etc. No one had to buy these folks. They were convinced by great historical exigency to believe in Israel. And the leadership of the Jewish community bought in heart and soul post Biltmore, and they doubled down on it after the 67 War.
        The best analogy here is the Shabbtai Zvi. A messianic belief inside a religious community. A delusion, which persists.
        I think it’s going to be a longtime unraveling. And yes it’s generational, but.
        I’m about to do a post on this; then we could post your response? Phil

November 4, 2015, 4:34 pm

“Will you, will @Annie, will @talknic will @Kalithea, all who have on record justified the murder of Jews (I have the records)”

Oh, this is a live one, here. He has the records. So nue…

• RoHa
        November 4, 2015, 6:37 pm

“this website in general is “supporting the stabbing of your people”, the Jewish people in Jerusalem.”

Max, as a matter of interest, could you tell me what it is that upsets you most?

Is it that Phil is “supporting the stabbing” of “his” people.

Or is it that it is Jewish people in Jerusalem who are getting stabbed?

Or that a Jew is supporting the stabbing of Jews?

Would it make a difference to you if Phil were not a Jew and supported the stabbing of Jews.

Would it make a difference to you if Phil were not a Jew and supported the stabbing of “his people”? For example, would you be just as upset if he were a Scientologist, and supported the stabbing of Scientologists?

(I know that the deaths of human beings is not your concern. You are a Zionist.)

• talknic
        November 4, 2015, 7:29 pm

@ MaxNarr demonstrates how Ziofools make false accusations, completely against the basic tenets of Judaism. Rather odd behaviour for someone allegedly in support of the ‘Jewish’ state which covets other folks property, also against the basic tenets of Judaism.

” this website in general is supporting the stabbing of your people, the Jewish people in Jerusalem. Will you, will @Annie, will @talknic will @Kalithea, all who have on record justified the murder of Jews (I have the records)”

What records pal? Quotes please.

“Take some time to search your soul”

Says someone who falsely accuses and who justifies by any means possible the Zionist Colonization of other folks property

• lysias
        November 5, 2015, 4:56 pm

Sabbatai Zevi and his Dönme followers may have been deluded and/or dishonest, but it doesn’t seem to me that they did great harm, the way the Zionists have done. I don’t see that there’s anything wrong with a syncretistic Jewish/Muslim religion.

I’ve long been puzzled by the hostility of the Jewish establishment to the Dönme. I don’t see any contradiction between Jewish religion and Islam. If I’m right about that, why isn’t it possible to be both a Jew and a Muslim at the same time, as the Dönme have considered themselves to be?

• echinococcus
      November 5, 2015, 12:32 am

Pabelmont,

Re “I am not convinced that Jewish communities have always censored or always will. Compare Open Hillels and JVP to AIPAC. But, again, the Jewish “society” censors, demands unanimity on of Israel”
      I sure can’t see this big non-censoring difference between AIPAC and JVP. A quantitative difference perhaps, not qualitative. As for Open Hillel, we don’t know yet.

• lysias
      November 5, 2015, 4:48 pm

It’s not the 1%, it’s the .01%.

4. Kathleen
    November 3, 2015, 10:25 pm

Prof Cole has a good one up about Shimon Peres serious doubts about the direction Israel has and continues to move.

• Laurent Weppe
      November 4, 2015, 3:48 am

Funny how Israeli politicians always discover their doubts about Israel’s sustainability after their political career is over.

5. kalithea
    November 3, 2015, 10:36 pm

They spotlight some of the soldiers and top commanders from Israel’s past and present—including Ariel Sharon, Ehud Barak, the brothers Netanyahu.

War criminals!

6. Steve Grover
    November 4, 2015, 12:01 am

Weiss sez:
    “I said it is because of the organized Jewish community, and that is why I organize in my community”
    Do tell. Please give details about your community.

November 4, 2015, 11:27 am

“Do tell. Please give details about your community.”

ROTFLMSJAO!!! You don’t know about Phil’s “community”? You ought to, you post there almost every day, and twice on Saturday’s! A regular mainstay! The town drunk, “Grover”. Wanna take up some of the space Phil gives you to deny it?

• Steve Grover
        November 4, 2015, 1:27 pm

Yes Mooser, I do post occasionally on MW when I could use a laugh. You could use scientific notation to quantify the number of times you have posted on MW just as you would use to write Avogadro’s number. This raises doubts as to whether you have any life outside of MW.
        BTW I was referring to Weiss’s community. You know the people who he associates with in person.

November 4, 2015, 4:21 pm

“Yes Mooser, I do post occasionally on MW when I could use a laugh.”

That must work out well for you “Grover”. Every indication is that you get plenty of laughs at Mondo. As many as you can use, and to spare. You just think of this as your hysterical homeland.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m busy making guacamole out of Avogadro’s number.

7. yonah fredman
    November 4, 2015, 12:29 am

and that’s why I organize in my community chiefly. – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2015/11/bloombergs-international-incredible#comment-807628

Far be it from me to tell Phil Weiss where he organizes, but I assume that this web site is his primary contribution to the Palestinian cause and this web site is not organized as part of the Jewish community, unless I have misread the newly revised about page or something.

November 4, 2015, 11:39 am

“and this web site is not organized as part of the Jewish community,”

Really, “Yonah”? Can you define this “Jewish community” Chart its absolute limits? Got a TM or marcas registrata on “Jewish”?

Whatever Jewish people (and non-Jewish people, since we are vastly outnumbered, no getting away from that) say is part of the Jewish community, is. Can you kick it out? Heck, you can’t live without Mondo. It’s part of your community, “Yonah” And certainly, you are part of it. And you can, I am sure, take all the space you need to deny it.

• Elliot
        November 4, 2015, 2:14 pm

Yonah, Phil has been clear about the benefits that he has enjoyed in his career of account of being a Jew. You may not like “Jewish” but be ok with a “community of Jews.” Since Zionism is the one unifying dogma across the spectrum of Jewish ideologies, theologies, observance and class, it’s fair to relate to Zionism – or its mirror, anti-Zionism – as “Jewish.” Phil has shown how Zionism worked in his professional community of Jews and continues to work in his social circle of Jews. There is also an emerging community of Jews who are Jewishly educated and Jewish-identified who are anti-Zionist.
        So, why wouldnt this community of Jews be called a Jewish community?

November 4, 2015, 4:41 pm

“So, why wouldnt this community of Jews be called a Jewish community?”

Oh, you know how “Yonah” sees it. You gotta be frum, frum, frum or “Yonah” takes the Torah away.

• Mayhem
        November 4, 2015, 8:24 pm

@Mooser, maybe you might find some support for the Palestinian cause from the moose community; certainly the Jewish community would shun you if they knew of your illicit associations with moose and other Pallywags.

• yonah fredman
        November 4, 2015, 9:29 pm

Elliot- Phil’s major contribution to the Palestinian cause and to the anti Zionist/anti Israeli cause is this web site. The about page is clear, or confusing regarding what this page is about and its relation to the community, specifically the Jewish antiZionist community.

Quote:

“Founded in 2006 as a personal blog of journalist Philip Weiss, Mondoweiss grew inside the progressive Jewish community and has become a critical resource for the movement for justice for Palestinians. We continue to follow debates over the role of Israel and nationalism in Jewish American life while seeking to reflect a diverse community of views on issues of international importance. We recognize that Jewish voices are often prioritized in discussions of Israel and seek to challenge that dynamic by bringing a universalist focus to an issue that is commonly dominated by narrow points of view.” – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/about-mondoweiss#sthash.9S1WkhYU.dpuf

I actually find this “about” statement murky and strange. I find Phil’s claim that he organizes chiefly in his community, (even accepting that he is referring to the antizionist Jewish community) rather than in America and the ether velt, I find that strange as well. I find it fake, but i cannot prove that. But I certainly find it strange.

• CigarGod
        November 5, 2015, 8:07 am

Ha!
        I’m going to certify you right now, dude.

Yonah Fredman is hereby found to be “different, fake, murky and strange.”
        It is expected he will continue to build his arguments on sand…and try to sell them as prime real estate.
        The court sentences Yonah to basement arrest for the remainder of his un-natural life.

November 4, 2015, 9:48 pm

; “certainly the Jewish community would shun you”

And I’d have to pay full price if I needed a new liver?

But anyway, you are ridiculous, Mayhem. There are so few of us Jews left, I simply cannot believe one Jew would reject, shun or even (God forbid) hurt one another over mere political or ideological differences. We can’t afford it.
        Besides, it might give people the definite impression that what you are really trying to do is get more Israel and Jewish for yourself, by kicking me out and taking my share.
        Forget it, pal, my stock certificates and deeds are rock solid! Guilt-edged securities, baby, and you can’t take ’em away.

November 4, 2015, 10:04 pm

“@Mooser, maybe you might find some support for the Palestinian cause from the moose community;”

Yes, I just might. Unlike that herd of ilk you run around with.

• CigarGod
        November 5, 2015, 7:59 am

9 out of 10 Wyoming Moose would buy Mooser a beer.

November 5, 2015, 4:23 pm

“I find that strange as well. I find it fake, but i cannot prove that. But I certainly find it strange.”

And all the articles are full of lies, and so goddam short, too.

“I do not have a cached copy of the original “about” statement of this web page, but it was different.”

This is bad, no way around it. That’s a Federal offense, a first-class felony, changing an “about” statement. Maybe it’s his first offense, so Phil and Adam will be out in oh, 12-17 years, but they will have to wear ankle bracelets chained to their soapbox while they’re on parole!

November 4, 2015, 4:46 pm

“this web site is not organized as part of the Jewish community”

Okay “Yonah”, since Mondoweiss is not something to eat, it doesn’t require a “circle K brand” on the can.
      So why don’t you tell us which endorsements, from which organizations, or personal endorsements from which people, what words on the “about” page, would make Mondoweiss “organized as part of the Jewish community.”
      Can you do that, and tell us why those same standards should hold true for every Jew? Or should there just be lots more Star-of-Davids, bearded sepia-toned Rabbis, and Hebrew graphics in the template?

Or are you simply trying to circumlocute your way around saying: ‘Anything which is not organized in consort with Zionism is not “organized as part of the Jewish community”?

Me, I’d be loathe to admit that the chance in sharing from the booty from an illegal colonizing scheme is all that holds the religion together, but that’s just me.

8. bryan
    November 4, 2015, 2:27 am

Is this “exceptional courage” really so unique? How does it compare with the courage shown by the Vietcong in liberating their land, the British and Polish special forces fighting behind enemy lines in WW2, the “tommies” breaking out into Normandy across minefields and under deadly tankfire from narrow beach-heads, the French resistance, etc, etc?

Surely this “exceptional courage” comes backed by a society so deeply imbued with militarism that every four-year-old’s highest ambition is to become a tank commander, and an enormous investment in killing that allows the IDF to do it remotely from well-protected turrets in their Maginot lines and from leading-edge drones and jet-planes, unchallenged and flying high above the killing fields, using the very latest in American technology to destroy civilian infrastructure. Hopefully Bar-Zohar will illuminate his talk with concrete examples of the “incredible courage” of terrified trigger-happy youngsters, armed to the teeth, bravely facing down unarmed demonstrators, and perhaps a few insights into how Hezbollah managed to drive the IDF out of Lebanon, and how poorly armed Hamas forces manage to drive out the invasion forces out of Gaza with such frequentcy.

Or is it just that the elite corps have a necessary “courage” driven by ambition to further their future political careers that seems to be denied to the common soldiery who are merely reluctant conscripts with no great stake in society and often wondering what the hell they are doing fighting interminably on occupied territory? Note how many Israeli prime ministers have started their careers as professional soldiers and risen to be IDF chiefs of staff before moving into the Knesset compared with Britain where leaders generally did their stint during the world wars but forged their careers in civilian society. Britain is a state with an army; Israel an army with a state, and unsurprising military prowess is valued as highly as it was in Sparta or Prussia; but is it really the highest and most admirable quality (as opposed to a sad necessity) in a civilised society?

9. Hanna Kawas
    November 4, 2015, 2:35 am

This is the ‘incredible courage’ of Israeli soldiers (including Netanyahu) – https://www.facebook.com/libertapalestina/videos/1626201437641179/

• gamal
      November 4, 2015, 2:17 pm

Made me think of Rogins “My sword became a flashing vision…”

” Cut to the Klansman. He raises his arm, with his back to the camera, and holds up a small sword. Against the background of the storm music from Beethoven’s Pastoral symphony, he plunges the sword down. He repeats this “ritualistic and totemic gesture”, as Stern calls it, to the crash of Beethoven’s storm. Cut to a close up of Gus’s face his mouth flowing blood his eyes rolling in agony. Griffith’s synchronizes his cutting to the cutting of the sword. “In flash-cuts the Klansmans hand now plunges and rises, plunges and rises, again, again and still again, on each down beat of the timpani, all within a few frames of film. On the final thunder-crash of the series there is a final frame of the castrated Negroes pain-racked face and body. Gus is dead”. The father’s threat to make mincemeat of a Negro, turned out to be play. The grown son, through his film cuts in a play, made the threat real. “My fathers sword….. became a flashing vision” to castrate Gus.”

10. HarryLaw
    November 4, 2015, 4:45 am

” No Mission Is Impossible”, The 2006 war in Lebanon was, then the Israeli Army found it impossible to reach its objective, the Litani River this operation involved a tripling of Israeli forces inside Lebanon and aimed at encircling Hizbullah forces in south Lebanon. The plan was to advance westwards along the Litani River from the Galilee Panhandle, combined with helicopter landings behind enemy lines, intended to be the largest in IDF history, and simultaneous advances northwards in the central sector and along the Mediterranean coast. The plan was to follow up the offensive by several weeks of mopping-up operations in the surrounded territories, eliminating Hizbullah infrastructure, especially in the launching areas of Katyusha rockets.

The offensive was called off halfway due to heavy casualties.[10] At least 33 Israeli officers and soldiers were killed and over 400 were wounded, an Israeli Air Force (IAF) helicopter was shot down and scores of Israeli tanks were damaged. The IDF never reached the Litani river and failed to surround Hizbullah forces in South Lebanon. Instead the Israeli government on August 13, accepted a ceasefire in accordance with UN Security Council Resolution 1701″.
    Which goes to prove Winston Churchill was correct, “A lie gets halfway round the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on”

11. Ossinev
    November 4, 2015, 6:39 am

To be fair there were I suppose “incredibly courageous” SS soldiers. Just a variation on a theme.

• Emory Riddle
      November 4, 2015, 10:38 am

Incredibly courageous Israeli soldiers? What is actually incredible is the delusion required to believe such a thing. On the rare occasions that the IDF goes up against armed fighters, they are withdrawn and returned to safety after a day of two. The Israeli govt and/or public cannot stomach the loss of even a few soldiers. We saw this in 2006 in Lebanon when confronted by Hezzbollah and in 2014 when Hamas fighters emerged from tunnels and engaged with the IDF (we soon heard about “terror” tunnels with kindergartens being the supposed targets of Hamas — a lie made up whole clothe with zero basis in reality).

12. Irfan
    November 4, 2015, 9:39 am

“No Mission Is Impossible.” Well, except ending the occupation and creating a state that accords equal rights to all of its citizens. Evidently, both the intelligence and the courage is lacking for that particular mission.

• eljay
      November 4, 2015, 9:45 am

|| Irfan: “No Mission Is Impossible.” Well, except ending the occupation and creating a state that accords equal rights to all of its citizens. … ||

Well said!

|| … Evidently, both the intelligence and the courage is lacking for that particular mission. ||

What also lacking is the moral impetus. Zio-supremacists either can’t comprehend or refuse to accept that what they are doing is immoral, so they don’t see any reason to stop doing it.

13. CigarGod
    November 4, 2015, 10:21 am

Makes me sick.

The real courage comes from present and ex-idf who condemn the zionist regimes war crimes system.

14. Ossinev
    November 4, 2015, 10:23 am

@HannahKawas
    Just seen the disgusting video. Definitely SS quality “incredible courage” !

15. Ossinev
    November 4, 2015, 10:46 am

Just seen another incredible example of Israeli courage on You Tube

According to the Times of Israel the woman had not attacked anyone but was suffering from mental problems. Still the courageous Israeli police shot her in the leg anyway without any attempt to calm her down or disarm a la Western Civilisation. It was such a terrifying experience for them and I am sure that they will get PTSD counselling and some time off to recover. I don`t understand Hebrew so can only guess at what they were shouting.

Perhaps “Help Mommie , Daddie what do I do. She`s got a knife , she`s at least five feet tall and there only eight of us and we are only six feet tall and all we have is full body armour and our assault rifles”

Just think how well these “incredibly courageous” people would fare in proper combat against the likes of Hezbollah.

16. Misterioso
    November 4, 2015, 10:55 am

MaxNarr

Read, view and heed:

Counting the kids from 2000 until today (as of Oct. 24/15)
    For every Jewish Israeli child killed by Palestinians, 15.8 Palestinian children have been killed by Jewish Israelis since 2000.

2 very Disturbing must watch short videos: Palestinian youth humiliated by IOF soldiers

Countries scaled to the amount of aid they receive from the U.S.

17. Rashers2
    November 4, 2015, 4:41 pm

@maxnarr: MW is a “hate-site”?! Lay down your syringe, de-tox’ for 24 hours and cite when MW has advocated violence or anti-Semitism; then go and find what an inflammatory “hate-site” really looks like – you could start with the vitriol-oozing Botox-queen herself http://www.pamelageller.com. MW’s contributors and commentators appear to be either: a) Jews of conscience who have managed not to succumb to (or to have recovered from) Zio-pathy; or b) the odd Goyim (Arab and non-Arab) who don’t hate Jews but detest what Zionism, the Zionists in Israel and their enablers do to (or facilitate being done to) human beings in the pursuit of an evil, political ideology.
    Understanding – even empathising with – what drives people to violent resistance is not inciting or condoning acts of violence; or “justif[ing] the fact that Jews are being stabbed and murdered because they live in Jerusulam [sic.]”. Search your soul, @maxnarr, and ask yourself how you would react if someone came to the door of your family’s farmhouse and said to you, “God gave me your farm, this house and everything in it. Now f*ck off before I shoot your entire family in front of your eyes and then turn my gun on you.”

18. Mayhem
    November 4, 2015, 8:36 pm

@Phil, so Ghada Karmi has turned up in your midst. Karmi who came to our Melbourne Writers Festival a couple of months ago where she had been invited to speak about her latest book, but she soon digressed into a tirade of pro-Palestinian propaganda, where she attempted to delegitimize Israel at every opportunity. The chairperson seemed quite happy with what Karmi was doing to hijack the session and gave her every encouragement. When Karmi extolled the supposed triumphs of the controversial Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement the crowd cheered. At the end when I posed a challenging question contesting Karmi’s opinions I was hooted at by an aggressive audience and the chairperson tried to prevent me from completing my question.
    Karmi’s fundamental position is to delegitimise Israel at every opportunity using emotion, myths, lies and propaganda – whatever it takes. She did this when she published her book “Married to Another Man: Israel’s Dilemma in Palestine” in 2007, when she tried to exploit an unsubstantiated, false anecdote that was allegedly made by two rabbis on a fact-finding mission to Palestine in the late 19th century? She had ‘borrowed’ Avi Shlaim’s assertion from his earlier book “The Iron Wall: Israel and the Arab World,” where Shlaim had presented, without quoting any credible source, that two mythical rabbis had said “The bride is beautiful, but she is married to another man”, wilfully perpetuating a lie that the early Zionists had believed they were stealing Palestine from the Arabs.

• Kris
      November 4, 2015, 10:26 pm

@Mayhem: “wilfully perpetuating a lie that the early Zionists had believed they were stealing Palestine from the Arabs.”

• eljay
        November 5, 2015, 7:30 am

|| Kris: It is horrible that anyone would say such a thing. The early Zionists didn’t just “believe” they were stealing Palestine, they knew it. ||

Bingo.

• talknic
      November 4, 2015, 10:42 pm

@ Mayhem ” a tirade of pro-Palestinian propaganda”

Uh? She concisely described the reality on the round. Can you please eludicate … what was propaganda https://www.google.com.au/search?q=propaganda

“At the end when I posed a challenging question …”

At what time? http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podcast/2015/10/bay_20151024.mp3

• talknic
        November 5, 2015, 12:39 am

I guess Mayhem’s shift has finished for the day

• talknic
      November 4, 2015, 11:03 pm

@ Mayhem ” “The bride is beautiful, but she is married to another man”, wilfully perpetuating a lie that the early Zionists had believed they were stealing Palestine from the Arabs.”

A) It’s only an analogy. Whether it was actually said is rather irrelevant.

” Go home or we will gas you until you die, your families, your children, everyone. We will kill youf” meanwhile, was actually said

B) The Zionist Federation didn’t know they were colonizing Palestine? WOW! http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/8632-jewish-colonial-trust-the-judische-colonialbank

• Mayhem
        November 6, 2015, 5:40 pm

@talknic, so it’s only an analogy. You cannot push aside so flippantly what amounted to the very premise of the book Karmi wrote.
        BTW I am not lying about the Melbourne Writers Festival. The session I attended was the one on 29th Aug titled “Talking Points: The Future of Palestine”. The entire program can be found here.
        Karmi is a leading advocate of a “one-state solution”. During a previous visit in 2007, she was asked at a lecture in Perth about coexistence after her “single state” was created. In response, she stated that she expected most of the Jews to go “back” to Europe (never mind that only a minority of Israeli Jews were born in Europe) and that would “solve the problem.”

Obviously this belief in an “ethnic cleansing solution” on the part of at least a substantial minority of Palestinians destroys any argument that you can have a “one-state solution in all of the land in which Palestinians and Jews have equal rights.” How can that possibly work when so many Palestinians want, not a state with equal right for Palestinians and Jews, but one for Palestinians alone with the Jews killed or expelled?

But it is also a huge problem for a two-state solution. If large majorities of Palestinians believe that “Jews have no rights to the land” and similarly large numbers believe Israel will cease to exist over coming decades, is it any surprise that Palestinian leaders have repeatedly pulled back from signing any final two-state peace with Israel? Why should they – their people expect to win anyway if they just wait.

Until these Palestinian beliefs change, no final peace will ever be possible.

• CigarGod
        November 6, 2015, 10:15 pm

Oh right, beliefs do the occupying and apartheid.
        I think you mean fear and greed and superiority.

• talknic
        November 7, 2015, 2:21 am

@ Mayhem “You cannot push aside so flippantly what amounted to the very premise of the book Karmi wrote”

The analogy is not the premise of her book. The continuing Zionist Colonization of Palestine is and it is very real

“The entire program can be found here”

Your link proves no thing

“During a previous visit in 2007, she was asked at a lecture in Perth about coexistence after her “single state” was created. In response, she stated that she expected most of the Jews to go “back” to Europe (never mind that only a minority of Israeli Jews were born in Europe) and that would “solve the problem.””

There were surely words before, between and or after your cherrypickings, no? Give the full quote please

“Obviously this belief in an “ethnic cleansing solution” on the part of …”

… speculation built on cherrypickings means nothing

• RoHa
        November 7, 2015, 2:40 am

‘she stated that she expected most of the Jews to go “back” to Europe (never mind that only a minority of Israeli Jews were born in Europe) and that would “solve the problem.”’

If Jews born in Europe or America are “returning” when they go to Israel, why can’t Israeli Jews “go back” to Europe?

Did she suggest it would be voluntary or compulsory?

‘ a “one-state solution in all of the land in which Palestinians and Jews have equal rights.” How can that possibly work when so many Palestinians want, not a state with equal right for Palestinians and Jews, but one for Palestinians alone with the Jews killed or expelled?’

Not promising, I agree. The sooner the Israelis stop making the Palestinians hate them, and start reconciling, the better.

November 7, 2015, 2:46 am

So where did the Zionist’s “right to the land” come from? The Bible?

November 5, 2015, 12:00 am

“At the end when I posed a challenging question contesting Karmi’s opinions I was hooted at by an aggressive audience and the chairperson tried to prevent me from completing my question.”

Real life is a little different from the internet, isn’t it?

“our Melbourne Writers Festival”

Oh yes, all yours. Must be the Greater Melbourne Writers Festival

• talknic
        November 5, 2015, 6:10 am

@ Mooser

“Real life is a little different from the internet, isn’t it?”

Problem. “At the end….”, there is no audience question, no one being “hooted by an aggressive audience” no chairperson trying to prevent anyone from completing any question http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podcast/2015/10/bay_20151024.mp3

• talknic
        November 5, 2015, 6:37 am

The ABC Radio National Books and Arts are “full program” podcasts http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/feed/3774750/podcast.xml

Could be Mayhem is lying. However they should be given a chance to prove they’re not

Over to you Mayhem ………. I’ll wait

November 5, 2015, 4:06 pm

” there is no audience question, no one being “hooted by an aggressive audience” no chairperson trying to prevent anyone from completing any question “

Exactly, “Talknic”. You brought a little bit of real life to his Internet fantasy.

• talknic
        November 5, 2015, 5:04 pm

@ Mooser

Only a real moron lies, then expects to be believed

November 5, 2015, 5:38 pm

“Only a real moron lies, then expects to be believed “

Oh, Mayhem is the real thing, all right.

19. Kay24
    November 5, 2015, 8:19 am

Hillary kisses up, to win support and help of zionists to become President.

“http://forward.com/opinion/national/324013/how-i-would-rebuild-ties-to-israel-and-benjamin-neta/

Not going to vote for her, or anyone who keeps doing this.

• CigarGod
      November 5, 2015, 8:33 am

Too bad there isn’t a single candidate that see’s the value in openly declaring America First…and going on the attack.