Tom Friedman to work as Cairo taxi driver ‘because those guys know everything’

FeaturesUS Politics
Thomas Friedman announced yesterday that he is taking an indefinite sabbatical to work as a taxi driver in Cairo — “because those guys know everything.”
The bestselling columnist wrote that he made the decision after he looked back over the last 20 years of columns and saw all the mistakes he had made in reporting on the Middle East.
“My worst moment was of course calling for the invasion of Iraq, but I realized there have been many other moments since,” he said in a letter to readers. “I want to take a year or two off to try and be an ordinary person and talk to ordinary people, and the best approach was to be a taxi driver in Cairo. Especially because I’ve learned so much from those guys over the years.”
Friedman said his epiphany was also brought about by scrutinizing the internet, which had “blown his mind” in the last year. He began reading Electronic Intifada and Juan Cole “surreptitiously, as a guilty pleasure,” and discovered that “ordinary people” are more accurate than the big shots and US envoys  he quotes in his reports, along with the occasional taxi driver.
He said he would decide whether to return to his column after he learns what the world looks like “from a low carbon footprint.”
The most painful part of his decision, Friedman confessed, is that he will have to avoid all US embassies and diplomats and Four Seasons hotels during his sabbatical.
The least painful part of the decision? “I will be shaving my mustache in an effort to blend in with ordinary people.”
The sabbatical doesn’t mean he won’t be writing. The columnist has already come up with a working title for a book about his forthcoming journey: “I Was Wrong but Now I’m All Right.”
About James North and Philip Weiss

1. JWalters
    April 1, 2016, 7:09 pm

This is great news! It shows that even the most emotionally blinded, mentally locked down, bought off, verbally slippery guy can begin to awaken to facts. I sincerely hope this is not an April Fool joke.

2. JLewisDickerson
    April 2, 2016, 9:52 am

RE: The columnist has already come up with a working title for a book about his forthcoming journey: “I Was Wrong but Now I’m All Right.” ~ James North and Philip Weiss

MY COMMENT: He might do well to release a country music CD with the same title!

3. Lewis Elbinger
    April 2, 2016, 11:23 am

Excellent. It helps to keep a sense of humor.

4. jsj
    April 2, 2016, 1:10 pm

Friends, this has got to be a wonderful spoof. Tom Friedman is not going to be driving any cab in Cairo nor is he saying he’s been wrong for 20 years! I think we should sit tight and watch this unfold! And in the meantime listen to Lewis, above.

5. Annie Robbins
    April 2, 2016, 10:00 pm

i love this.

6. Hussein Hammami
    April 2, 2016, 11:54 pm

This article, attributed as it is to Mr. Know-It-All Thomas Friedman, could only appear on April 1st to honor him as patron saint of all columnist fools.

7. Mayhem
    April 4, 2016, 8:51 am

• eljay
      April 4, 2016, 9:33 am

|| Mayhem: Somebody wandering by accident into Mondoweiss territory might get the impression that every day is April Fools’ Day. ||

Especially after reading the stuff you and your fellow Zio-supremacists churn out. :-)

• amigo
      April 4, 2016, 9:42 am

“Somebody wandering by accident into Mondoweiss territory might get the impression that every day is April Fools’ Day.” mayhem

With the exception of the days you are not “present and incorrect”.

Have you become an expert at shooting yourself in the foot while it is firmly ensconced in your mouth.