Months after saying he won’t appear at Israeli foreign ministry events, Amos Oz will do just that in Paris

Activism

Amos Oz said less than a year ago that he wouldn’t participate in events sponsored by the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and now this darling of the liberal Zionist community is backtracking.

November 2015, per the Forward:

Last November, Yediot Aharonot reported that Oz would no longer participate in official events sponsored by the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Doesn’t this give succor to those who wish to boycott Israel? I asked him about it.

“I’m not part of any boycott against Israel,” he said. That “would be and is a crude mistake and a harmful step.” Rather, his disagreement is with the present government, one he calls “the most militant, right-wing government Israel ever had.”

Well that was then and this is now.

Posted by Israeli Apartheid:

Israeli authors celebration in Paris, sponsored by the Israeli consulate, featuring Amos Oz

Here’s the official announcement from the Societe des Gens de Lettres, again with the logo for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at lower left.

Societe des Gens de Lettres

Societe des Gens de Lettres Israel event

It’s not like the government has gotten any better, has it?

I wonder if this has anything to do with the movie that Natalie Portman has lately released of Oz’s book about his childhood, A Tale of Love and Darkness. Director Portman offered this political lesson from Oz on WNYC earlier this month that touches on Europe.

One of his real talents as a peace leader– because in addition to being a great novelist he is of course one of the founders of the Peace Now movement and a great great spokesman for the two state solution– and one of his assessments which I included in the film, which is from the book, is where he talks about how both the Jews and the Arabs are victims of Europe, and that they’re sort of children of the same abusive father. And that instead of seeing each other as siblings of the same abusive father, they look at each other as the new abusive father, the new colonialists or the new Nazis. And I think it’s really accurate to see the nations as individuals.

Thanks to Ofer Neiman.

1. jd65
    August 26, 2016, 3:11 pm

I wonder if this has anything to do with the movie that Natalie Portman has done of Oz’s book about his childhood, A Tale of Love and Darkness.

I assume you’re being sarcastic. In my mind, I have no doubt that it is absolutely marketing for the film. It’s obvious. Not that I’m a fan of the “Liberal Zionist” Oz otherwise, either…

2. Mr.T
    August 26, 2016, 4:06 pm

I guess there is a pot of gold large enough to make any saint dance to the devil’s tune.

3. Mr.T
    August 26, 2016, 4:08 pm

“Director Portman offered this political lesson ”

What a bunch of crap. I guess blaming Europe for the Israelis being barbarians is less bruising to the ego than the correct assessment that the Israelis are seen as “the new abusive father, the new colonialists or the new Nazis” because of how they act.

• Krauss
      August 27, 2016, 11:28 am

Exactly. Note how she approves of Oz’s equation all of Europe with the Nazis and the colonial authorities, which the average European had no say in. The Nazis didn’t even get a supermajority in the 1933 German election before they abolished democracy. It shows her own bigotries.

Hershlag(her real name) suffers from the same syndrome as Goldberg and many others. She genuinely thinks Jews are better. Her problem with reality is that Jews are not better(or worse), Jews are just like everyone else.

And so she can’t explain the racism of Zionism and the Apartheid that was intentionally created with the 67 ethnic cleansing and then (further) colonisation. So she has to blame Europe. It has to be someone’s fault, but it can’t be the Jews fault!

This is “liberal” Zionism folks. It isn’t really more sophisticated than this. It’s why they are being crushed by the left, and for good reason.

• hophmi
        August 27, 2016, 1:03 pm

How is the left crushing liberal Zionism? Note:Angry comments on Mondoweiss aren’t the same as crushing something.

• MHughes976
        August 27, 2016, 3:32 pm

I think that LZ has been crushed in the sense of having no plausible argument, but I would think that, wouldn’t I? I wish I could think that it was being crushed in the sense of generally discredited but I think that along with its charming cousin, infinite patience with Israel, it is still the position of almost every significant political, cultural and religious leader in the Western world. The few exceptions tend to be in the foreign ministries and suchlike of the smaller Western countries, like Sweden and Ireland, where the 2ss is clearly seen for the painted scenery that it is and where United States dominance is not so comprehensive as in the major NATO countries.

August 28, 2016, 12:28 pm

“Note:Angry comments on Mondoweiss aren’t the same as crushing something.”

Oy Gevalt! That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you for years, “Hophmi”!

4. pabelmont
    August 26, 2016, 4:37 pm

Eu-J/Z-P: [J] The child [J] of an abusive father [Eu] and the grandchild [P] of that abusive father [Eu] — child [P] of the intervening victim-abuser [J/Z].

All clear?

• Stephen Shenfield
      August 27, 2016, 9:56 am

I think Oz was saying that ‘the Jew’ and ‘the Arab’ (he doesn’t recognize the Palestinian) were victimized by Father Europe at the same period, therefore they are brothers. Apparently he doesn’t see that one brother can victimize another (sibling abuse).

Of course it is not at all ‘accurate to see nations as individuals’ — it is a gross oversimplification. In reality the concept ‘Jew’ cannot be sharply demarcated from either of the other concepts (European or Arab).

• MHughes976
        August 27, 2016, 1:41 pm

Quite so, Stephen. Of course if Europe is the abusive father the United States must be the wicked, or at least thoroughly ambiguous uncle. But Oz – ah, that moody existentialist look! – and Portman won’t say that, which would bring them close to saying that it’s all the fault of the Whites or the Christians. Laor’s ‘Myths of Liberal Zionism’ is quite good on Oz. The overwhelmingly most important LZ myth is of course the ever mesmerising 2ss.

5. gracie fr
    August 26, 2016, 4:42 pm

I think think the French are desperately looking for another “Elie Weisel’ figure with substantial literary credentials…

6. Keith
    August 26, 2016, 5:11 pm

Perhaps Amos Oz simply couldn’t pass up the opportunity to be in the same country as the greatest Jewish philosopher of all time- Bernard-Henri Levy?

7. Kay24
    August 26, 2016, 5:24 pm

Still in France, it seems the Palestinian flags being waved at soccer matches has caught on over there…hope other nations will do the same. No hopes of it ever being done here in the US, as we are controlled and all that.

“Saint-Etienne Fans Fly Palestine Flags v Beitar Jerusalem a Week After Celtic Fans Do Same

8. Tchoupitoulas
    August 26, 2016, 10:20 pm

Hollywood denizens live in a bubble. They are completely myopic. They read the trades for their news and their world news (Hollywood Reporter, Variety, Deadline Hollywood) and that is their tiny, slanted window on the world. It’s really not much. I would assume Natalie Portman is the same. She probably has VERY LITTLE idea of what is actually going on in the I/P conflict.

Look at the quote above, where she gushes about Oz supporting the two state solution. Like he’s some kind of a hero. She has no idea that the two state solution has been dead now for a long time. She is so naive. Because Natalie Portman lives in a fantasy bubble.

• johneill
      August 26, 2016, 10:56 pm

she’s israeli.
      try doing a minimum of research before disparaging someone.
      that said, i have no clue of her politics.

• Krauss
        August 27, 2016, 11:34 am

She’s an Israeli who prefers to live in Los Angeles and was brought up in the U.S. from the age 3.

Do some more research, john.

• YoniFalic
      August 27, 2016, 12:33 am

Portman seems to have been a Dershowitz groupie when she was at Harvard (without sleeping with him).

My Harvard informants tell me that Dershowitz grades women students on the basis of beauty.

My informants also tell me that her Hebrew is extremely minimal.

• hophmi
        August 27, 2016, 11:03 am

Your sources? How do you have sources at Harvard? Where is it that you teach? She took one of his classes.

She grew up in the US and she’s given interviews in Hebrew, so it’s obviously not “extremely limited.”

You sound like a very unhappy person, YoniFalic.

• hophmi
        August 27, 2016, 11:21 am

Did you know this girl? I wonder if she also had Professor Dershowitz. She doesn’t see to hate Judaism like you do, YoniFalic.

August 27, 2016, 12:30 pm

“She doesn’t see to hate Judaism like you do, YoniFalic.”

Way to respect an IDF combat veteran, “Hophmi”! Not enough he risked his life, did what he was told actually living as an Israeli.
        Is the price of being an Israeli IDF veteran having to suck off phony American Zionists the rest of your life?

Gee, “Hophmi” maybe you should be listening to him, as he actually lived the experience you aren’t capable of doing yourself.

• hophmi
        August 27, 2016, 1:32 pm

Sure. First of all, Mooser, Yoni is quite upfront about his hatred of Judaism. Second of all, you should listen to IDF combat veterans. Which of the 99% that are not like Yoni are you interested in listening to?

August 27, 2016, 4:16 pm

. “Second of all, you should listen to IDF combat veterans.”

Sure, “Hophmi” you are all about “breaking the silence”! I know how enthusiastic you are when IDF veterans speak out.

August 27, 2016, 4:19 pm

“Yoni is quite upfront about his hatred of Judaism.”

Well, “Hophmi” I was pretty shocked, too, when I got all the soteriological details, and discovered how goddam syncretic the entire mish-mosh is.
        It’s hard not to resent it. Is it worth mutilating people over?

But gee, “Hophmi” maybe if you had to do the same things “Yoni” did, you might feel differently, but you made sure your precious ass got nowhere near the IDF, didn’t you? At any time, peace or war, huh?

9. Raphael
    August 27, 2016, 8:22 am

I think…. I will read a book by Amos Oz. Even, JFK, and RFK as liberals were involved in US politics… and…. at the same time same time corresponded with anarchist liberals in the peace movement; so, I see no problem with him being involved in politics as a anti-BDS Israeli.

I’m also anti-BDS, and I am a liberal Israeli American; so I welcome opinions of “liberals” in Israel, that represent a more liberal form of Zionism, then that of the fundamentalist right wing AIPAC; that is a tool of the military-industrial complex.

10. Kay24
    August 27, 2016, 1:57 pm

What a joke. It seems one of the architects of the Iraq war is concerned about US credibility in the world. LOL.

“Paul Wolfowitz Is So Concerned With Trump He May Vote For Clinton
    The so-called architect of the Iraq War says Trump would undermine U.S. credibility in the world.”

• inbound39
      August 29, 2016, 6:12 am

It’s all pretty much being laid bare before the World in all its nakedness. Cannot be hidden anymore….lol.

• Kay24
        August 29, 2016, 12:02 pm

How they raise their heads like cobras, and why the media keeps talking to these unpatriotic scumbags, is something I cannot understand.

11. eljay
    August 27, 2016, 4:12 pm

… Director Portman offered this political lesson from Oz on WNYC earlier this month that touches on Europe.

One of his real talents as a peace leader … is where he talks about how both the Jews and the Arabs are victims of Europe, and that they’re sort of children of the same abusive father. And that instead of seeing each other as siblings of the same abusive father, they look at each other as the new abusive father, the new colonialists or the new Nazis. …

Lots of apologetics, not much talent. Jews and Arabs suffered at the hands of Europe, but Palestinians have suffered and continue to suffer at the hands of Zio-supremacist Jews (and their supporters) who occupied and colonized Palestine and established in it an oppressive, colonialist, expansionist, belligerent, intransigent, (war) criminal and religion-supremacist state.

12. Nevada Ned
    August 27, 2016, 11:44 pm

In 2008, when Israel launched its “Operation Cast Lead” massacre against Gaza, Amos Oz initially supported the assault. Less than a week later, Oz criticized the assault as “disproportionate”. Two months later, Oz reversed himself again, calling the operation “understandable and acceptable.”

Two years earlier, in Israel’s 2006 invasion of Lebanon, Amox Oz initially supported Israel’s aggression. Oz was not alone: he was joined by the writer A. B. Yehoshua and David Grossman, fellow members of ‘The Peace Camp”, who held a press conference to announce their support for the war.

There is a pattern here: some members of Israel’s “peace camp” are lionized in the US as Israel’s moral conscience, etc.Back in the Middle East, it’s a very different story. The famous peace camp members from time to time oppose Israeli policy, but their opposition is weak, timid, equivocal, and hesitant. They’re a very weak reed to lean on.

Oz and others even use their peacenik reputations to enhance their support of war.
    Since even the famous peace camp members Amos Oz, A. B. Yehoshua, and Grossman, support this latest war, everybody should support it, etc. etc…

Source: Max Blumenthal, Goliath. Max B knows the score and speaks the truth.

• Tuyzentfloot
      August 29, 2016, 3:13 am

Gideon Levy on Oz, which I remembered in part because of the pun(oz also means courage)

First of all, I had Oz and Yehoshua at my home for dinner a few weeks ago, so I have to be very cautious in what I say, but I am very critical about this kind of thinking. You can add [Israeli President] Shimon Peres and Labor to this. This is the typical Israeli hypocrisy, and I in many ways appreciate [Israel’s far-right Foreign Minister Avigdor] Lieberman more than Shimon Peres, because with Lieberman, at least, what you see is what you get. It’s very clear what he stands for. With people like Shimon Peres or Meretz – and I don’t say they are identical – or Oz and Yehoshua and Grossman, they want to eat the cake and leave it complete, as we say in Hebrew. This doesn’t work.

I think they lack courage, some of them. Others, like Shimon Peres, are hypocrites who talk about peace and do the opposite. I think that Oz and Yehoshua and Grossman, who I know very well personally, mean well. But in many ways they are still chained in the Zionistic ideology. They haven’t released themselves from the old Zionistic ideology, which basically hasn’t changed since ’48 – namely, that the Jews have the right to this land, almost the exclusive right. They are trying to find their way to be Zionistic, and to be for peace, and to be for justice. The problem is that Zionism in its present meaning, in its common meaning, is contradictory to human rights, to equality, to democracy, and they don’t recognise it. It’s too hard for them to recognise it, to realise it. And therefore their position is an impossible position, because they want everything: they want Zionism, they want democracy, they want a Jewish state, but they want also rights for the Palestinians… it’s very nice to want everything, but you have to make your choice and they are not courageous enough to make the choice.

It’s a lot less cynical than one would think. I still don’t have patience for Oz, and I appreciate Levy much more, but at the same time, I wouldn’t claim I’d be doing so much better in his situation.

• inbound39
      August 29, 2016, 6:15 am

Basically they run back and forth across the frontlines in order to save their own butts and the gold they have horded. Typical trait of those with no bottle.

13. Mayhem
    August 29, 2016, 8:52 am

It seems like Philip Weiss has nothing worthwhile to say any more so he is now lapsing into complete bullshit. The emblem he suggests is representative of the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs is the Emblem of the State of Israel and there has been no suggestion by Amos Oz that he opposes Israel itself in any sense.