For Purim, costume contest celebrates soldier’s killing of a Palestinian (free vacation on the line)

Over the weekend, an Israeli activist campaigning to pardon Elor Azariya, the soldier who was convicted of manslaughter for killing a wounded Palestinian in Hebron last year, held a costume contest for children to dress as the soldier for the Jewish holiday of Purim.

Ron Karmi Buzaglu organized the costume contest over social media. “Send a picture of your children dressed as Elor Azariya and participate in the big raffle. The picture that receives the greatest number of ‘likes’ will win its owner a classical guitar and a family vacation (to the winner and his parents), courtesy of Tzahi Eliyahu of Legenda Suites,” said the announcement, according to a translation of the Hebrew text published by Arutz Sheva.

In March 2016 Elor Azaria shot at close range Palestinian Abed al Fatah al-Sharif who was lying injured on the ground after attacking a soldier and no longer posed a threat, as the court ruled in the case, when Azaria was convicted in January.

In advance of the contest, Israel’s Channel 2 interviewed Luna Dayan and her grandson. He was dressed in army fatigues in honor of Azaria.

“He took the initiative. The commanders were not at the scene, the scene was not handled as it should have been and he took charge,” Dayan said of Azaria, as reported by Haaretz.

Other Israelis circulated over social media pictures of young children donning the “Elor Azaria” costume.

Photos circulate on social media of children dressed as Elor Azaria. (Photo: Facebook)

Images of Luna Dayan’s grandson dressed as Elor Azaria, shown during a Channel 2 segment on the costume. (Photo: Facebook)

A young girl dressed as Elor Azaria for a Purim costume contest. (Photo: Facebook)

After Azaria killed al-Sharif, a video of the deadly encounter emerged, filmed by a volunteer with the Israeli human rights group B’Tselem. The group called the slaying an “extrajudicial street killing.”

B’Tselem went on: Al-Sharif “is seen lying on the road injured, with none of the soldiers or medics present giving him first aid or paying him any attention at all. At a certain point, a soldier is seen aiming his weapon at a-Sharif and shooting him in the head from close range, killing him. Although this occurs in the plain view of other soldiers and officers, they do not seem to take any notice.”

The shooting spurred friction within Israeli society. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu publicly backed Azaria and called for a pardon.

About Allison Deger

Allison Deger is the Assistant Editor of Mondoweiss.net. Follow her on twitter at @allissoncd.

1. amigo
    March 13, 2017, 6:26 pm

Imagine if any non Jew pulled this stunt if the victim was Jewish.

Holy moly , we would never hear the end of it.

I wonder what goes through the minds of the hopknees/dabakrs .Maybe the newby , sharonsj can share her views on this most vile of behaviour.Perhaps a great big dollop of whataboutery is the ticket.

2. talknic
    March 13, 2017, 8:30 pm

Not even their own children are spared! Such is the rot in Israeli society.

3. Kay24
    March 13, 2017, 8:43 pm

Despite all those despicable hasb a rats pointing out that the other side honors terrorists, it seems they were throwing stones from their glass houses. This is disgusting, and to see that woman looking proudly at her child as he imitates a killer, only shows the mind set. This also reminds me of the incident at an illegal settler wedding, where they showed their evil side, and celebrated the horrific murder of the Dwabsheh baby, even stabbing a picture of the innocent victim who died with his family, after a vicious terrorist attack by Jewish terrorists.
    Projection of the evil kind.

4. JLewisDickerson
    March 14, 2017, 7:08 am

I just wish the Israelis would stop teaching their children to be murderers!

5. eljay
    March 14, 2017, 8:51 am

Barbaric. But the way jon s tells it, if you want to celebrate murder all you have to do is carefully read the situation and come up with an interpretation that validates your take on things. So, whether it’s “seventy and five thousand” people deliberately massacred or just one wounded and incapacitated person summarily executed, as long as you conclude that the dead were “enemies” the murders were justified and it’s OK to celebrate.

• Jackdaw
      March 14, 2017, 9:10 am

@eljay

Is this barbaric too?

Pal school kids mock execution of IDF soldier.

Hey. Isn’t this teaching war crimes?

• eljay
        March 14, 2017, 9:46 am

|| Jackdaw: @eljay Is this barbaric too?

Pal school kids mock execution of IDF soldier…. ||

Yes, I think it is and I condemn it.

It’s funny how you Zionists are unable to do the same, and instead engage in whataboutism (“murderers exist, so it’s OK to rape”) to justify the evils you and your co-collectivists commit.

• johneill
        March 14, 2017, 11:39 am

you can’t teach a war crime (except in law school), only commit them.

• Ismail
        March 14, 2017, 10:25 pm

The video seems to depict a group of kids enacting an attack on a soldier and a tank. Presumably, the targets were occupying forces in the West Bank. Ergo, no war crime.

Some of the pics depict a kneeling soldier being shot. War crime.

Of course, the very idea of kids enacting this sort of violence is tremendously unsavory to me, sitting safely snowed in in my cozy house in the Boston area. I honestly don’t know how I’d feel if I had been under incredibly aggressive and brutal occupation for half a century with no end in sight and things getting worse daily.

I imagine little American boys during the 40s were encouraged to take out some Germans or Japs (sic) in their playtime.

Bottom line, don’t compare violence by aggressors to violence by their victims. Sometimes using a double standard serves justice more than using a single standard does. This fact is uncontroversial – kids and adults, cops and civilians, we recognize that applying a single standard to these unequal groups would do violence to reality.

Here’s my suggestion: instead of getting yourself riled up by the pretend violence visited upon representations of your soldiers by schoolboys, you’d do well to aim that outrage towards the actual soldiers who actually threaten, imprison, sequester and kill those schoolboys.

Doesn’t that make a lot more sense?

• jon s
      March 14, 2017, 11:28 am

eljay
      On Purim we don’t “celebrate murder”. We celebrate foiling a genocidal plot. The Jews were threatened with annihilation, managed to turn the tables and exercise self-defense.
      In practice, it’s a fun, carnival-like , kid-friendly holiday.
      I never justified Elor Azaria and celebrating him as a hero is nauseating.

• eljay
        March 14, 2017, 11:51 am

|| jon s: eljay On Purim we don’t “celebrate murder”. We celebrate foiling a genocidal plot. … ||

The plot was foiled at the palace. What happened elsewhere in the kingdom was post-foiling mass slaughter.

|| … The Jews were threatened with annihilation, managed to turn the tables and exercise self-defense. … ||

It’s not “self-defense” when you commit king-sanctioned mass slaughter. (You Zionists really do enjoy re-defining words.)

|| … In practice, it’s a fun, carnival-like , kid-friendly holiday. … ||

I’m sure it is. Party on. :-)

March 14, 2017, 1:16 pm

“I’m sure it is. Party on. :-)”

And always remember “eljay”: There are no followers of the Jewish religion. We are all leaders! Every one of us speaking glat cathedra.

• eljay
        March 14, 2017, 1:21 pm

|| jon s: … I never justified Elor Azaria … ||

I never said you justified his actions – I just pointed out how one could do so using your reasoning.

|| … and celebrating him as a hero is nauseating. ||

In your interpretation, most definitely. But for those who carefully read the situation and interpret that he killed an enemy who wanted to harm “the Jews”, it makes sense to celebrate him for turning the tables and exercising self-defense.

6. Qualtrough
    March 14, 2017, 10:07 am

Is this the same Purim Chelsea Clinton recently tweeted about?

“Clearly the Congressman does not view all our children as, well, all our children,” “Particularly ironic & painful on Purim.”

7. ErikEast
    March 14, 2017, 12:04 pm

Poor children – Surely this constitutes as child abuse?

8. Ossinev
    March 14, 2017, 1:41 pm

@Jackdaw
    “Is this barbaric too?”
    This is clearly callous brainwashing and incitement unlike the Zio Purim scenario which is just encouraging little kids to have fun and let their imagination run free when it comes to neutralising untermenschen.

Surely even you can recognise the difference.

• Jackdaw
      March 14, 2017, 3:13 pm

@eljay

I didn’t ask you to condemn it, I asked you whether you think that it is barbaric. You did not answer my question.

• eljay
        March 14, 2017, 3:40 pm

|| Jackdaw: @eljay

I didn’t ask you to condemn it … ||

I know you didn’t ask me that. I freely chose to condemn it. Are you suggesting that I shouldn’t have condemned it?

|| … I asked you whether you think that it is barbaric. … ||

I know you asked me that.

|| ,,, You did not answer my question. ||

And now I know that you don’t know how to read. Not only did I answer your question, I answered it very clearly: Yes, I think it is and I condemn it.

• Jackdaw
      March 14, 2017, 3:14 pm

The question was, ‘is this barbaric’?

So what’s your answer. Yes it’s barbaric, no it isn’t, or I can’t answer that.

• eljay
        March 14, 2017, 3:42 pm

|| Jackdaw: The question was, ‘is this barbaric’?

So what’s your answer. … ||

Seriously? Okay, here goes for the third time: Yes, I think it is and I condemn it.

Man, I sure hope you’ve learned to read by now.

• talknic
        March 14, 2017, 11:10 pm

“Man, I sure hope you’ve learned to read by now.”

Uh? Forget it. Their job is not to read. It’s to spread misinformation. lie, obfuscate, falsely accuse, smear and anything else they can to justify the continued unjustifiable colonization of Palestine by the Jewish State

Failing the above, which because their narrative is based on lies is inevitable, the M/O is to annoy until someone spits the dummy and calls ’em what they so completely deserve to be called. Stupid, immoral, liars who’ll say anything

March 15, 2017, 11:59 am

“Their job is not to read. It’s to spread misinformation. lie, obfuscate”

Like I said, “talknic”, every one of us is a leader.
        No followers in Zionism, only leaders.