Are you an auto-anti-Semite? Take this simple test

Middle East

Earlier this week, Israeli Education Minister Naftali Bennett coined a new term to describe Jews who oppose religious instruction in the Israeli curriculum: “auto-anti-Semitism.” The term is a marked improvement in diagnostics over the old expression, “self-hating Jew,” and Bennett provided this definition:

Auto-anti-Semitism is a social-psychological phenomenon in which a Jew develops obsessive contempt and hostility towards Jewish tradition, customs, and observant Jews.

The Education Minister was not specific, so we were hoping to flesh out the definition. Here is a checklist of ten signs that you may be developing Auto-anti-semitism.

1. You don’t look at old movies and tell your partner, You know, his real name was Julius Garfinkle!

2. When Benjamin Netanyahu says that he is the leader of the Jews of the world, you gag.

3. When you read the famous exchange of letters between Gershom Scholem and Hannah Arendt in which Scholem accused Arendt of showing insufficient love for the Jewish people, and Arendt responded that “I have never in my life ‘loved’ some nation or collective — not the German, French or American nation, or the working class, or whatever else might exist.  The fact is that I love only my friends and am quite incapable of any other sort of love” — you find yourself agreeing with Hannah Arendt.

4. You do not believe that Israel turned the desert green, is in a tough neighborhood, or was a land for a people who didn’t have a land.

5. When you see photos of shuttered Palestinian storefronts in Hebron spray-painted with Stars of David by Israeli settlers, you feel shame.

6. You agree with scholars and clergy who say that Israel’s treatment of Palestinians in the name of “the Jewish state” and “the Jewish people” is fostering the rise of anti-Semitism globally and even making Jews in the west unsafe.

7. You do not think that hummus, shakshuka, falafel, tabouleh and the cherry tomato were invented by Israelis.

8. When you see a Palestinian youth throwing stones to repel armored Israeli tanks from their land, you wonder how you would feel about violent resistance under those circumstances.

9. You think the words “Never again” do not apply to just one people.

10. You think equal rights for Palestinians and Jews is not a bad idea.

Score:

1-3 You’re following the wrong people on twitter.

4-6. Run, do not walk, to the nearest offices of Hillel International/The David Project for deprogramming.

7-10. You have a full-blown case of auto-anti-Semitism, there’s no hope for you…

About Mondoweiss Editors

1. yonah fredman
    September 1, 2017, 3:47 pm

Humorous or obnoxious? or both.

Hannah Arendt’s performance in her book Eichmann in Jerusalem has something a bit wrong with it. Can’t put my finger on it. (It smells of the disdain that german jews had for ostjuden.) Your bland endorsement of her attitude in that book is superficial.

• John O
      September 1, 2017, 4:14 pm

If you can’t put your finger on it, don’t say anything until you can.

• Annie Robbins
      September 2, 2017, 1:57 am

humorous!

• Misterioso
      September 2, 2017, 2:16 pm

@yonah fredman

Meanwhile, ever increasing numbers of all important young Jews around the world are seeing the light and opposing Israel’s accelerating violations of international law, including apartheid and racism:

“Jewish Voice for Peace Urges Young Jews to Boycott Birthright Israel”

“Campaign #ReturnTheBirthright declares ‘it is fundamentally unjust that we are given a free trip to Israel while Palestinian refugees are barred from returning to their homes'”

By Allison Kaplan Sommer, Sept. 02, 2017, Haaretz.

EXCERPTS:
      “A ‘pledge’ on its website takes the form of an online petition in which young Jews declare: ‘We will not go on a Birthright trip because it is fundamentally unjust that we are given a free trip to Israel, while Palestinian refugees are barred from returning to their homes. We refuse to be complicit in a propaganda trip that whitewashes the systemic racism, and the daily violence faced by Palestinians living under endless occupation. Our Judaism is grounded in values of solidarity and liberation, not occupation and apartheid. On these grounds we return the Birthright, and call on other young Jews to do the same.’”

“Birthright Israel sends Jewish young adults on a free ten-day trip to Israel with the goal of strengthening Jewish identity and connection to the Jewish state. The trips are funded through a partnership between the state of Israel and a group of North American donors. The original funders of the program were Michael Steinhardt and Charles Bronfman, but in recent years, Sheldon Adelson, casino billionaire, Republican mega-donor and supporter of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, has showered $250 million on the program, becoming the its largest benefactor.”

September 2, 2017, 2:44 pm

“(It smells of the disdain that german jews had for ostjuden.”

Yeah, you could smell it on your thumb.

• yonah fredman
        September 4, 2017, 11:25 am

To the moderator: regarding citizen’s comment. I am rather sure that your allowing this approving reference to Hitler’s hatred of Jews is accidental.

September 4, 2017, 4:49 pm

“Hannah Arendt’s performance in her book Eichmann in Jerusalem has something a bit wrong with it. Can’t put my finger on it. (It smells of the disdain that german jews had for ostjuden.)”

“To the moderator: regarding citizen’s comment.”

• amigo
        September 4, 2017, 6:31 pm

“Whereas your imputation of bigotry against “ostjuden” to Hannah Arendt, on the basis of no evidence at all, is just fine?” Mooser

Yonah had no such problem with his own bigotry against Non jews.

“assimilation is viewed as a negative, because it involves loss of true self, as in, conforming to a society and denying your essence. imagine, sitting and eating white bread and mayonnaise with your neighbors, but then going home and chowing down on some pastrami on rye, mit a pickle and chicken soup,” YF

September 5, 2017, 11:41 am

“(It smells of the disdain that german jews had for ostjuden.”

Ah-ha! Now we know why “yonah fredman” does not have a seat on the Mondoweiss editorial board.

” imagine, sitting and eating white bread and mayonnaise with your neighbors”

While upstairs, their grandparents live it up and die in bed!

2. German Lefty
    September 1, 2017, 4:11 pm

My score is 9. Obviously, number 5 cannot apply to me because I’m not a Jew.
    Besides, I don’t think that anti-Zionist Jews should feel shame when they see how the Zionists use the Star of David. Anger or disapproval would make more sense.
    As the Star of David is the main element of the Zionist flag, I perceive it first and foremost as a Zionist symbol anyway. Not as a Jewish symbol that is being misused by Zionists. The meaning of symbols can change over time, just like the meaning of words.
    Also, I don’t believe in things like collective guilt, collective punishment, or collective shame. Shame is not useful anyway. You should be rational and factual when fighting Zionism.

• Don
      September 2, 2017, 1:13 pm

Ah, but you might be wrong about number 5, German Lefty (or may I call you Grasshopper?)

Have you considered that you might be a Jewish non-Jew auto-anti-semite?

• German Lefty
        September 2, 2017, 3:54 pm

@ Don
        1) What do you mean by “Grasshopper”? I am neither an animal nor a drink.
        2) I considered this possibility, but as far as I know I’m 100% “Aryan”. So, no chance for me to immigrate to Zioland. Not that I would want to.

September 2, 2017, 7:27 pm

“2) I considered this possibility, but as far as I know I’m 100% “Aryan”. So, no chance for me to immigrate to Zioland.”

Oh, there is such a thing as “100% Aryan”? I guess Hitler and Alfred Rosenberg were right, after all. Anyway, get yourself DNA tested right away, there are some exciting new possibilities, if your DNA test comes out less than “100% Aryan”, that is.

September 2, 2017, 9:01 pm

Or perhaps your family “crossed over” at some point. You never know.

• catalan
        September 2, 2017, 9:01 pm

I am with eljay – we choose our identity. I like the idea of being 100% Aryan. No more this Turkish Slav stuff or celtics. Sorry Mooser, German Leftie is my Aryan sister.

• German Lefty
        September 3, 2017, 4:45 am

Mooser, I didn’t put the word in quotation marks for no reason. DNA testing would be pointless, because it wouldn’t change anything for me and for how I feel about things.

• CigarGod
        September 3, 2017, 10:01 am

Oh, why go to the trouble of a dna test, guys….when you can just get out your New World Encyclopedia and flip the pages until you get to Phrenology.

September 3, 2017, 10:15 am

“Mooser, I didn’t put the word in quotation marks for no reason.”

Of course not. You were quoting somebody.

And if you want to feel “100% Aryan” go ahead. No DNA test can change that.

• German Lefty
        September 3, 2017, 2:53 pm

Mooser, you deliberately misinterpret my words. I don’t FEEL 100% “Aryan”. I just wrote that as far as I know this is what I am in terms of descent. However, I don’t define myself over my DNA. That’s why a DNA test wouldn’t change anything for me and my worldview.

• Annie Robbins
        September 3, 2017, 4:41 pm

descent? have you googled aryan? whose definition? the nazi definition? ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan_race

September 3, 2017, 8:21 pm

She’s the most ambidextrous lefty I ever did see.

• German Lefty
        September 4, 2017, 10:43 pm

@Annie: From the context and my use of quotation marks, it should be clear that I am referring to the Nazi meaning, not to the real meaning. I used that expression because Zionism reminds me of Nazism. And I used that expression in the same non-literal way as anti-Zionist Jews talk about “J-positive blood”. Mooser tries to bully me by deliberately misinterpreting my statements.

September 5, 2017, 11:36 am

“And I used that expression in the same non-literal way as anti-Zionist Jews talk about “J-positive blood”

Ah, that “J-positive blood” so talked about by anti-Zionists.

• Citizen
      September 2, 2017, 6:47 pm

Really simple, every expensive, latest generation Israeli jet is emblazoned with the star of David, which the whole world knows is a jewish symbol. Americans under Trump are actually starving, but his budget cuts are all unique in that they don’t cut any aid to Israel in any way.

September 2, 2017, 9:06 pm

“is emblazoned with the star of David, which the whole world knows is a jewish symbol.”

I have always despised Israel for that. To bomb and strafe people from a plane with a Jewish star on it.

• Nathan
        September 3, 2017, 4:56 am

So, if you despise Israel for placing the Star of David on her fighter jets, Mooser, should we assume that you would cease to despise her if she would remove the symbol? I doubt it. I would imagine that the order of events was the opposite: First you despised Israel, and then you were disturbed by her use of symbols. That’s how it is with ideologies: One shoots an arrow, and then one draws a target around the spot where the arrow hit, and “amazingly” it’s always a “bull’s eye”.

Anyway, perhaps you will find it interesting to know how the “Jewish” star was born. In the Middle Ages, the city of Prague had to defend itself against an invasion. The Jews participated in the defence of the town, and they organized themselves as a distinct military unit. They chose the six-pointed star as the emblem on their flag. Since they understood from the Bible that King David was a great warrior, their star became known as the Star of David. I hope that you won’t despise yourself now for having identified with such a symbol all your life.

September 3, 2017, 10:19 am

Nathan, shut up.

• echinococcus
        September 3, 2017, 12:31 pm

“Nathan”

So even the “ancestral Jewish symbol” chosen by the Zionists is not that, but Polish. Figures. I thought you guys had orders to hide that.

• jon s
        September 3, 2017, 3:14 pm

Echi,
        Perhaps you didn’t understand what Nathan wrote. The six point star as a Jewish symbol originated in medieval Prague. Where did you come up with “Polish”?
        In ancient times the menorah was considered to be the symbol of Judaism.

• echinococcus
        September 3, 2017, 5:19 pm

John S yet again…

Bah, Polish or Bohemian, the difference is sooo relevant to the point under discussion, isn’t it! The day you’ll say anything relevant will be the day, I suppose.

• Talkback
        September 5, 2017, 10:50 am

How do you like the “Star of David” Messerschmidt JSIL used in 1948?

3. aloeste
    September 1, 2017, 5:41 pm

Baruch hashem scored a zero

September 2, 2017, 7:32 pm

“Baruch hashem scored a zero”

And you win a lovely “Jews sui generis” lapel-button.

4. JWalters
    September 1, 2017, 6:40 pm

Naftali Bennett would certainly agree these are all symptoms of auto-anti-Semitism. Other items could be added to the diagnostic list, such as

11. You don’t believe Jews are Biblically entitled to slaughter Palestinians and take their land.

Once Israeli researchers determine that these symptoms do indeed correlate with auto-anti-Semitism (how they would do this is not clear), they would still have a further task. That would be to prove there is not some other explanation for people exhibiting these features. For example, people may have studied the evidence, added universal standards of justice, and applied routine rules of logic to arrive at these conclusions.

I suspect the latter explanation would be true for the vast majority of Jews who identify with these characteristics. That would raise the question of whether Bennett’s “auto-anti-Semitism” is a figment of his fevered imagination.

Bennett would not be able to see this, however, because he is obviously suffering from a massive case of cognitive dissonance.

5. RoHa
    September 2, 2017, 12:08 am

“a Jew develops obsessive contempt and hostility towards Jewish tradition, customs, and observant Jews.”

One would think such a person would very quickly stop being a Jew, and so the anti-Semitism would no longer be auto. AAS is, then, a transient and self-correcting condition.

• Don
      September 2, 2017, 1:16 pm

Ah, not so quick, Roha. The Jew who chooses to no longer be Jewish has now become a Jewish non-Jew auto-anti-semite, has he/she not?

• Citizen
        September 2, 2017, 6:54 pm

It’s about whether you are human, or whether you are part of a tribe of humans,, different from the rest in basic value. Talmud speaks to this,

• RoHa
        September 2, 2017, 8:27 pm

No. If s/he has stopped being Jewish, s/he can’t be a Jewish non-Jew, and thus not auto.

S/he has become an ex-Jewish-anti-Semite, with three hyphens.

6. Annie Robbins
    September 2, 2017, 1:59 am

oh no… i hte to break it to you guys but jeffrey goldberg published it first, referencing glenn greenwald in 2012. https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/01/more-on-glenn-greenwald-israel-firsters-and-idiot-editors-updated/251852/

Self-hatred is a deeply-inexact description of the people this reader is trying to describe. In my experience, those Jews who consciously set themselves apart from the Jewish majority in the disgust they display for Israel, or for the principles of their faith, are often narcissists, and therefore seem to suffer from an excess of self-regard, rather than self-loathing. “Self-hater” is a euphemism, then, for “auto-anti-Semite,” or some other such locution.

h/t yakov hirsh https://twitter.com/YakovHirsch/status/902061186690072578

• Paranam Kid
      September 2, 2017, 6:38 am

Just to make sure: the Jeffrey Goldberg who argued in favour of the invasion of Iraq on the basis of such obviously fabricated “evidence” as Colin Powell’s white powder vial presented at the UN , and who explained his erring by writing that he “didn’t realize how incompetent the Bush administration could be,”, probably meaning “how they could not doctor that false evidence undetectably”. And JG is supposed to be 1 of the luminaries.

That same Jeffrey Goldberg who does not accept any criticism of Israel, labelling those who do criticise Israel & the “chosen people” as an auto-anti-Semite.

• Philip Weiss
      September 3, 2017, 10:44 am

good catch for Yakov and Annie, thank you.

• Annie Robbins
        September 9, 2017, 3:26 am

my pleasure phil. yakov gets all the credit.

7. a blah chick
    September 2, 2017, 7:18 am

Where does “self-genocide” fit into this lexicon?

September 2, 2017, 8:46 pm

“Where does “self-genocide” fit into this lexicon?”

Oh, that’s easy. Marry a non-Jewish person, or don’t insist on your kids participating in Judaism, and you’re doing it. Often called “the Silent Holocaust”.

Judaism hasn’t quite caught up with the fact that they can’t count on Gentiles to keep Jews Jewish, the way we used to. Never occurred to us that’s a job we would have to do for ourselves, so we’re not too good at it.

• Paranam Kid
        September 3, 2017, 9:09 am

Right on. But what I have never understood is why it would be so bad if The Jewish ethnicity (I have been told not to call it a race) would disappear through miscegenation. Why would it be bad for any ethnicity for that matter?

September 3, 2017, 10:39 am

“But what I have never understood is why it would be so bad if The Jewish ethnicity (I have been told not to call it a race) would disappear through miscegenation.”

In fact, the opposite may happen, as this article shows us.
        The logical next step is simply to declare that anybody who marries a Jewish person automatically becomes Jewish. Proving, of course, that you can always get what you want.

• RoHa
        September 3, 2017, 11:42 pm

Hush, Paranam Kid. I’ve asked that question before, and found it gives Yonah panic attacks. Be kind to him.

• Paranam Kid
        September 4, 2017, 9:07 am

@RoHa
        Got it !! ;-)

• yonah fredman
        September 4, 2017, 11:34 am

Paranam Kid:
        Here’s a quote from Leon Wieseltier from an article about Arendt and Scholem:
        “Oblivion comes in many forms. There is natural oblivion, the Ozymandian kind, the ordinary forgetfulness that secures the future against the disabling suspicion that everything has already been done; and there is unnatural oblivion, coerced oblivion, the apparently ineradicable desire to wipe some group or some culture from the face of the earth. A people that has suffered unnatural oblivion will find it hard to acquiesce in the natural sort, because it looks like disappearance by another name.”

September 4, 2017, 1:57 pm

“Oblivion comes in many forms.”

Or you can seek oblivion via a pilpul overdose.

• RoHa
        September 5, 2017, 11:14 pm

Time hath, my lord, a wallet at his back,
        Wherein he puts alms for oblivion,
        A great-sized monster of ingratitudes:
        Those scraps are good deeds past; which are devour’d
        As fast as they are made, forgot as soon
        As done…

Troilus and Cressida , Act 3, Scene 3

September 6, 2017, 2:10 pm

“Exit, pursued by a bear.”

Winter’s Tale, Act III, Scene 3

• RoHa
        September 6, 2017, 10:18 pm

And not a moment too soon.

8. Vera Gottlieb
    September 2, 2017, 9:23 am

When I hear ‘self hating Jew’, I counter with….’and all those Germans who fought against Hitler are self hating Germans’??? It isn’t going to work, israel…the entire world is finding out more and more what you are really all about – no matter what new phrases you coin. You can add my name to the ANTI ZIONISTS!

• Paranam Kid
      September 5, 2017, 9:17 am

Vera, excellent comment, nobody ever looked at it like that. My wife is Jewish & fiercely anti-zionist too, plus she is contributing to the disappearance of the Jews because of miscegenation.

9. Liz
    September 2, 2017, 10:25 am

I passed! I’m a proud auto-anti-semite. I love the double hyphen in the new term.

September 2, 2017, 8:41 pm

I want to be a self-driving-auto-anti-semite with four hyphens.

• Paranam Kid
        September 5, 2017, 9:22 am

auto-piloted-self-driving-auto-anti-semite = 6 hyphens.

10. jon s
    September 2, 2017, 12:06 pm

I scored 7.

• amigo
      September 4, 2017, 4:32 pm

“I scored 7.”jon s

Better get that US passport ready.The shin beth will be knocking on your door any day now.

BTW , which three did you get wrong.

11. genesto
    September 2, 2017, 4:32 pm

Can’t wait to tell my Jewish wife that she passes with flying colors (except for the contempt for Jewish traditions and customs part. She, and I, actually like a lot of these)!

She’ll be thrilled – and she’ll love her new name!

12. rosross
    September 2, 2017, 8:38 pm

Powerful irony.

However, one cannot have equal rights for a religion, Jews, and a people, Palestinians.

Equal rights apply to all religions in First World democracies which means Israel is not a democracy or First World.

If Jews are a people, and they can be, then so are Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, in fact, all other religions. And whatever is claimed for Jews as a people must automatically apply to all of the rest, which of course is why, religions do not make a people.

13. JosephA
    September 3, 2017, 1:42 am

Let me save you all a bunch of arguments and wasted time by predicting what we are going to hear from a few of the usual suspects:

Fat Bastard: “You are a racist bigot”
    Jack Green: “(Insert non-sequitor here)”
    Nathan: “(Insert logical fallacy here)”

Otherwise, I found your quiz to be not only funny, but also tragically true in that it highlights the sheer idiocy of discourse coming out of that cesspool of so-called democracy.

14. pabelmont
    September 5, 2017, 2:52 pm

Sorry to discover a new category that I am not a member of: the auto-anti-semites.
    I simply cannot, try as I may, muster up obsessive contempt and hostility towards Jewish tradition, customs, and observant Jews.

OTOH, I spend altogether too much time criticizing the doings of the State of Israel, even to the point of trying to discover a formula for a T-Shirt or Bumper-Sticker to say something like:

>> Boycott Those Israeli Persons, Groups, and Businesses that Profit from Acts Illegal at International Law <<

which would not end me in jail if I exhibited it in France.