I’m proud to stand with Cindy Corrie in this fight

Features

For some lucky people like me, a turning point in life arrives without tragedy. For others, like Cindy and Craig Corrie, it descends as the most horrific waking nightmare: the murder of a child. I’m writing today to pay tribute again to the Corries and their tireless work for justice—and to share with gratitude Cindy’s endorsement of our work at Mondoweiss: “Mondoweiss keeps me and our entire activist community updated and invigorated while allowing people around the world to share how they challenge injustice.”

Cindy says that we helped document her family’s efforts to achieve justice for Rachel:

I’m particularly grateful to Mondoweiss for reporting on our family’s efforts in Israeli courts to establish the Israeli military’s culpability in Rachel’s death. This coverage has not only made us feel supported but has informed many thousands of people about the role of the Israeli judiciary in whitewashing and justifying actions intolerable to any conception of human rights.

As we end 2017 and push to meet our year-end challenge goal (we’re now only about $16,000 away!), I am moved and inspired by Cindy’s generosity in supporting our journalism through both words and funds. If you have already given, thank you. If you haven’t yet, I hope you will join Cindy in donating to keep Mondoweiss delivering needed information and analysis.

While the U.S. invasion of Iraq starting in 2003 has been brutal and violent for its victims, its impact on me was moral and intellectual—through the gradual accretion of facts. As I paid more and more attention, I came to understand that my responsibility as someone with research and writing capacity was to inform as many people as I could of the immense wrongness of U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East, especially as it affected Palestinians. I experienced this awakening as a calling—one I have done my best to live up to for over a decade here at Mondoweiss with the help of A Thousand Voices for Truth. I am grateful that both here and from other sources, I have continued learning about the human cost of American arrogance—and Israeli rapacity.

That human cost has been paid by Palestinians on the ground and worldwide. And by the Corries, when their daughter Rachel was killed in 2003 by an Israeli army Caterpillar D9 bulldozer in Gaza. Cindy and Craig took up the cause Rachel had embraced, and they have devoted their lives for almost 15 years to the struggle for peace and justice in Palestine. I am honored to stand with them in this fight.

I’ll close by simply quoting Cindy’s thoughtful description of how our reports affect the discourse:

Mondoweiss’s editorial and investigative work lets readers around the world know what is happening in Israel/Palestine. Please join me today in giving to Mondoweiss. We must act together to ensure the continuation of news that sheds light on all who suffer from the violence and brutality visited upon Palestinians, and on all who struggle against it. Support for Mondoweiss is a practical way to work for human rights.

Thank you, Cindy and Craig Corrie. We will do our best to live up to your faith in Mondoweiss. I know that my own work is strengthened every day by your example of dedication and persistence.

=============================================================

P.S. to any of you who didn’t get a chance to watch the video we posted a few days ago: Take a couple minutes to have a look. Even though I see our work every day, I found it overwhelming and inspiring to see this combination of images we’ve published and contributors’ comments.

1. Tova Perlmutter
    December 30, 2017, 3:15 pm

Anyone who has read this far: the message is from Phil, not me. WordPress is giving us a little trouble this week so for some reason I am shown as the author at the bottom of this post.

2. Emory Riddle
    December 30, 2017, 5:05 pm

How does Cindy feel about the way JVP, Mondoweiss” top money source, smears and blackballs non Jewish truth tellers like Helen Thomas and Alison Weir?

• Annie Robbins
      December 30, 2017, 7:25 pm

emory, i’ve heard allegations in the comments before about jvp being the “top money source” for mondoweiss. i was just curious where you read or heard that. or is there some site you’ve accessed showing who mondoweiss top donors are. or is this just your hunch?

• Emory Riddle
        December 31, 2017, 8:27 am

I thought that was common knowledge. Maybe not. Why not ask Phil?

• Emory Riddle
        December 31, 2017, 9:02 am

I forgot. Mondoweiss itself took a shot at Ms. Weir..smearing her as an anti-semite.

Seems we’ve seen that one before.

• echinococcus
        December 31, 2017, 12:14 pm

Exactly, Emory. For years now many people have been been waiting to see if a clear answer is forthcoming anytime from Mondoweiss about its position towards, and its relationship with, the “Non-Zionist” and the non-non-Zionist outfits, and the witch hunt against solid allies of the anti-Zionist resistance.

December 31, 2017, 1:07 pm

” Why not ask Phil?”

I would think Mondo’s contributors would be entitled to acknowledgement or privacy, as they prefer. The “Donate” page seems to provide for both. Especially if the contributions are not tax-deductible.

• Tova Perlmutter
        December 31, 2017, 2:56 pm

ETA: Mooser, you are correct that we protect the privacy of individual donors (to the extent allowed by U.S. tax law). For organizations, the issue of privacy is a bit different, and in consultation with MW editors I have chosen to clarify here.

• Annie Robbins
        December 31, 2017, 3:42 pm

thanks for clearing that up tova. as i suspected.

also, mooser mentioned “Especially if the contributions are not tax-deductible.” just thought i’d reiterate, all donations to mondoweiss are tax deductible.

• Emory Riddle
        December 31, 2017, 4:35 pm

Why?

What’s to hide?

• Emory Riddle
        December 31, 2017, 4:38 pm

‘For the record, Mondoweiss does not receive funding from Jewish Voice for Peace, has not in the past and does not expect to in the future.”

I don’t believe that. Why would Mondoweiss not accept such funding? Of course it would. Why would JVP not fund Mondoweiss? I can think of no reason.

I think anyone who considers himself a human rights worker ought to be fully transparent on their sources of funding.

Leave the machinations in the shadows to The Lobby.

• Annie Robbins
        December 31, 2017, 6:34 pm

I don’t believe that.

LOL!

December 31, 2017, 4:46 pm

,” all donations to mondoweiss are tax deductible.”

Thanks, “Annie”! I didn’t know if they were, thanks for reminding us that they are indeed a tax-deductible contribution.

• Annie Robbins
        December 31, 2017, 6:33 pm

mooser, it’s posted on the base (bottom right) of every single page. scroll down. ;)

• gamal
        December 31, 2017, 5:06 pm

Doesn’t Mondoweiss fund JVP? It is better to fund than be funded.

• RoHa
        December 31, 2017, 5:21 pm

Annie,

That should be “tax deductible in the USA”.

I’m pretty sure that neither you nor MW in general have checked to see whether donations are TD in Britain, Ireland, Japan, Denmark, Australia, that sheep-fold at the end of the universe, Canada, or any of the other places MW readers live.

Donations may well be TD in other countries, but best not to give us false hopes.

• Annie Robbins
        December 31, 2017, 6:29 pm

whoops! you’re likely right RoHa.

• amigo
        December 31, 2017, 8:07 pm

” all donations to mondoweiss are tax deductible.” Mooser.

Didn,t notice any zio commenters raising that question.

• Tova Perlmutter
        December 31, 2017, 9:30 pm

RoHa, thank you for that correction!

Believe it or not, I have looked into tax-deductibility for Mondoweiss in Canada and the U.K., and neither of those tax regimes recognizes our U.S. charitable status. You are correct that I haven’t examined the situation elsewhere, though. Here’s the language we use in our thank-you messages:

“This message serves as an acknowledgment of your donation to Mondoweiss via our fiscal sponsor, Center for Economic Research and Social Change (CERSC), a nonprofit organization that is tax-exempt in the United States under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Your gift is tax-deductible in the United States as allowed by relevant law, and other jurisdictions may also have applicable law governing such donations.

If your donation was completed online, you should have already received an email confirmation for tax purposes from Network for Good, CERSC’s donation processor.”

This is a bit more precise along the lines you suggest. By the way, to any readers who have been hating Network for Good (they have been less than optimal, shall we say, in the service they provide to us), it should soon be much less burdensome to donate online because we will be changing processors in the new year.

One last point about our funding: Emory Riddle suggested asking Phil as the way to determine whether we are subsidized by JVP. The information I provided above is from Phil (and Adam).

• Sibiriak
        December 31, 2017, 11:26 pm

Tova Perlmutter: For the record, Mondoweiss does not receive funding from Jewish Voice for Peace, has not in the past and does not expect to in the future.
        ————————————-

Thank you. That should put an end to these spurious attacks on Mondoweiss.

[Emory Riddle:] I don’t believe that.

Whoops. I guess not.

• Talkback
        January 1, 2018, 6:19 am

Emily: “Why? What’s to hide?”

In these times one has to be protected from Zionist Jews who persecute anyone who questions their Apartheid Junta.

January 1, 2018, 12:57 pm

” it’s posted on the base (bottom right) of every single page. scroll down. ;)”

Yes, there it is! Thanks.

January 1, 2018, 1:06 pm

“Why would JVP not fund Mondoweiss? I can think of no reason.”

Reminds me of a line in Raymond Chandler’s “Pickup on Noon Street”:

“I use money in my business, too”

• Annie Robbins
        January 1, 2018, 3:04 pm

mooser, i wonder if tova has ever considered this angle in her fundraising appeals

Why would you not fund Mondoweiss? I can think of no reason!

what a novel idea. our end of the year drive is over, but there’s always next season.

• LHunter
      December 31, 2017, 1:12 am

I’m a big fan of Alison Weir and Helen Thomas – two strong willed women who refuse to eat anyone’s shit.

I want to believe in JVP but I’m not there yet. One reason is their blackballing of Weir. I found the review of this matter by Gupta to be spot on

God Bless the Corries

3. Annie Robbins
    December 30, 2017, 7:47 pm

i’d also like to thank Cindy and Craig Corrie, whom i have had the pleasure of meeting. you are truly wonderful inspiring people.

i wanted to mention i was thinking about Rachel earlier today. she came into my thoughts when i found out the beautiful soul Erica Garner died (may she rest in peace). i thought to myself how, like Rachel, she will go down in history as one of the great americans, great activists and humanitarians who represents the best humanity has to offer who — who spoke truth to power.

• Maghlawatan
      December 31, 2017, 2:47 am

Cindy Corrie grew up in a wonderful strong family. So did Norman Finkelstein. So did Amira Hass . Wonderful strong families don’t produce assholes. They don’t produce Danny Danons. They don’t produce groupthinkers.

• Tova Perlmutter
      December 31, 2017, 9:57 am

Thank you for this, Annie. Couldn’t agree more.

4. echinococcus
    December 31, 2017, 12:14 pm

5. Maghlawatan
    December 31, 2017, 1:51 pm

I think a lot of us expected the Palestinian issue to be resolved years ago. It hasn’t been because of the system behind Israel. Israeli Jews would rather sacrifice the education of their kids than recognise the human dignity of the Palestinians.

A lot of stuff is happening under the radar. A lot of minds are being opened up. And it will happen.
    Every day that passes is a day closer to Israel”s Götterdämmerung.

Happy 2018 ya shabab

• LHunter
      December 31, 2017, 3:27 pm

Happy 2018 habibi

• Annie Robbins
      December 31, 2017, 3:51 pm

yes yes! here’s doubling down for a happy 2018!

• DaBakr
      January 7, 2018, 9:59 pm

You conveniently overlook, misrepresent or intentionally leave out the millions of Arabs who live with us as neighbors, friends, equal citizens with suffrage, rights to any job from trash collector, teacher, police, celebrity, doctor, supreme court justice , general in the IDF, etc. Our Arab, Muslim, Christian, Druze and other citizen nationalities from all over the world are treated with respect and dignity. Those who abuse any of these citizen’s rights are prosecuted by the law.

Our children (meaning Arab, Asian, African, Muslim, Christian Ba’hai, etc)are not only taught to respect ALL human rights but many say we go TOO far in presenting other views of our nation’s history that denigrates it and presents the Palestinian narrative as a complete negation of our right to exist -&- as if it were an equal and opposing view.

. In the Arab world, especially in the system controlled by the PLO, PA and HAMAS this would be(and is) an absurdity. It’s well known and reported that Jews are often and routinely referred to in the most despicable ways and that young children are encouraged on supposedly educational TV to stab teddy bears, kill Jews and other pathetic child agree.(if admit, this is not broadcast in israel, just in the territories.)

. As in many small packed tightly interwoven communities there are sometimes incidents. Not violent boulders dropped, gunfire or stabbing, line in Judea, Samaria and Jerusalem, But incidents involving bigotry, racism, rudeness and ignorance that occur in our country just as one would find in dozens of Muslim, Christian and other secular nations.

. And, conveniently, there are more international reporters here by sq. ft. then any other nation on earth… And with outlets like MW,, Ha’retz, 971, al Jazeera, AP, etc., there are dozens of reporters on the scene to report anything and everything from Israeli spy buzzards to the GOI flooding all of those non-existent ‘dams’ in southern Israel. Or, the daily updates on Bedouins(roaming people) who contribute to defy the law and rebuild illegal homes and villages knowing full well their,’friendly’ reporters areNOT going to report much on the hundreds of millions Israel has spent building modern Bedouin towns with proper schools wiring, plumbing and social services where 1000s of Bedouins have already moved and been compensated. (Why would mw, EI, AP etc. report details on that? After all…. The highly evolved liberal left EU would surely let a clan of Bedouins pitch tents, build shacks and dig wells wherever the fck they wanted in Europe… Even if they had a gleaming city all built one clic away.)

So, @mg, while I’m sure many palestinians and many Israelis thought this conflict would have been over and well into it’s 10-15th year of implementation with most benchmarks of disputed lands completed you are certainly not going to get away without acknowledging the Palestinians (leadership) had a very large part in making sure these deals were quashed. (And I’m being generous. I understand most Arabs believe it was all the US and Israel, and ultra hard line Zionists believing it 90% Arafat so to say it was equal is fair and to say it was less then 50% PLO is, what I said, generous)

At this point, despite the Herculean efforts of the juvenile Obama admin in cahoots with the Israeli hard left, Erdogan , KSA, etc, Netanyahu remains one, if not the, most popularPMs in Israeli history. Maybe he is just a caretaker PM because he has either a) no real partner to negotiate or b) he has no backbone and refuses to negotiate and c, d, e) there are tons of other strategic and practical reasons for stalling based on the geo-strategic politics going on in region(and yes, I will give you that many believe Israel purposely created these conditions. I personally think that’s absurd but I’ve read well constructed cases made.)

When I do hear cases presented like yours blaming the “israeli system” I always wonder what part of this blame is put on the Arab leaders who allowed the creation of the Palestinian leaders and all the jockeying back and forth exchanging billions in aid?
      . Is it not excepted as fact that Arafat, despite his’charm’ and leadership skills, was a kleptomaniac who stole billions from his people from the UN, EU, UNRWA, UNHRC, countless ngo’s, payouts from Quadafi, KSA, Tunisia, Lebanon, the USA, Germany and dozens of other sources? Is it not fact that many of the infighting among PLO leadership led to murder and huge payouts? Is it not fact that Abbas , his son and his cronies have stolen billions from the Palestinian people? They live in huge pallazzo’s in Judea and in Gaza? Isn’t it a fact that some shady deal was made with Arafat’s wife that allowed her to keep 100s of millions of Palestinian money in return for some mysterious bargain-most likely her life-with the current PA giving/returning billions to them without any oversight that the money went to the people?

(Imight mention the details but who knows what the real story is? All anybody knows is LOTS of big money went from Arafat they Sufa and to the PA and that millions were usually spent trying to prove that Israel had something to do with his death when the real reasons are barely what one would call a secret)

When a people with long running and legitimate grievances is fooled by one leader after another and keeps buying the same old bullsht about how the “zionists did this and zionists did that.” “These Jews are ethically cleansing you and committing genocide”. And the worst and most stupid:’anyone who kills a jew is a martyr whose blood waters our nation and bladda bladda blah’ . I mean really…. How can what seems like an entire people support such a horribly evil, corrupt and deceitful leadership? How can they believe that encouraging children to stab knives into whatever jew they can find is serving the cause of their people? I understand that Israel has, to work with some form of organization and not just a clan or village leader but area their not clan leaders that are sick and tired of this insanity? Are there no m known secret organizations that could possibly attempt a coup? Or is Hamas too strong and will swoop in to fill the void?

I am not saying I know the solution. I have very strong opinions and I also respect that my enemies have strong opinions. I know that my enemy has endured many unreasonable wrongs that need to be addressed. I know that it is a very bitter reality that Palestinians face after 70 years of empty promises from various Arab thugs, tyrants, kings, etc. I don’t understand if getting back even a portion of the money their own leaders stole from them is a goal that makes their blood boil as much as having a nation of Jews with sovereignty over millions of their people.

All I can really write that won’t be ridiculed- and even that is tenuous(, and will surely be ridiculed-just for the sheer fun of it!)….. There is a rather small but tenacious community (growing too) of anti-zionist, anti-israel and some plain outright jew haters on sites like MW, EI, JVP, SJP, and others that seems to honestly believe their cause to’bring Israel to its knees’. thru BDS, college protest, EU pressure(ngo, others) public de-legitimization and a few dozen other unhinged supporters like tyrannical Erdogan, tyrannical Mullahs inIran, their little buddy the murderous Assad and their big buddy, the murderous and kleptocratic gangster,Putin….. Is, well, it’s going to happen. They discount every single sight or failure Israel has and sweep its unbelievably booming economic expansion into all parts of the world without a Singh’s trace of this idiotic claim that Israel is the ‘ most dangerous expansionist nation in the ME”. Other then the lands conquered in wars started buy their arch Arab enemies, Jerusalem is united and free, the Golan is peaceful, and Gaza has been returned with full internationally accrued disengagement. 100s of tonnes of supplies are trucked in by Israel every week. Concrete, medicine, food, etc. There would have been an airport were Iran not caught red handed smuggling advanced missiles to Gaza. And there will not be an airport until this idea is abandoned .

I guess like many of the anti Zionist Israel haters here……. It often feels line talking to a rock.

Happy New 🎉Year

• Talkback
        January 8, 2018, 11:25 am

DaBakr: “You conveniently overlook, misrepresent or intentionally leave out the millions of Arabs who live with us as neighbors, friends, equal citizens with suffrage, rights to any job from trash collector, teacher, police, celebrity, doctor, supreme court justice , general in the IDF, etc.”

You conveniently overlook, misrepresent or intentionally leave out the millions of Arabs you keep expelled and denationalized to fake a democracy that has instititutionalized racism.

DaBakr: “Our children (meaning Arab, Asian, African, Muslim, Christian Ba’hai, etc)are not only taught to respect ALL human rights …”

Really?
        “Most Jewish first-graders attend ultra-Orthodox and religious schools. The majority of them are educated along the lines of “The King’s Torah.” A Jew is human. A non-Jew is non-human. “Thou shalt not kill” does not apply to non-Jews. And this is not delivered in the form of incitement, but as a simple statement of a fact. As simple as calling a chair a chair.”

DaBakr: “Or, the daily updates on Bedouins(roaming people) who contribute to defy the law and rebuild illegal homes and villages knowing full well their,’friendly’ reporters are”

Illegal according to your racist entity which razed more than 400 Nonjewish villages in 1948, build more than 600 settlements for Jews since then, but simply doesn’t recognized Bedouin “settlements”. You would make a case for N, too, and against those who opposed it. And btw. outside the borders that were declared when your Apartheid Junta declared statehood. So much for defying the law and illegal.

DaBakr: “Other then the lands conquered in wars started buy their arch Arab enemies, Jerusalem is united and free, the Golan is peaceful, and Gaza has been returned with full internationally accrued disengagement.”

ROFL. There is not a single inch of Israel’s territory that was not “conquered” through a war that Zionist Jews started with their terror campagne in the late 30s. Their war in 1956 and 1969 were more wars that they started to conquer more land. Jerusalem’s annexation was illegal and it is cetainly only free for Jews. The Golan Heights, also illegaly annexed are peaceful, because Israel threatens to kill its rightful owner. And no. The UN still considers Gaza to be occupied by Israel. And Jerusalem and the Golan Heights.

DaBakr: “100s of tonnes of supplies are trucked in by Israel every week. Concrete, medicine, food, etc.”

How many tons before Israrel’s illegal blockade that collectively punishes the whole Gazan population? A war crime since the Nuremberg trials.

6. DaBakr
    January 7, 2018, 7:53 pm

Phil said he feels like he is “lucky”. Others feel’blessed by some entity. I’m not sure if there is a big difference. Funny how two peoples, both feeling very lucky or very blessed buy conflicts with painful outcomes can feel similar but have opposite goals for reaching the settlement they feel so lucky about in the first place. Good faith is one thing but luck,?, People and people’s make their own luck. It might seem sad to some, chaotic to others, unjust, deserved and bliss but until it seems the same to all, the MW s and Algemeiners are here to stay