Roseanne Barr says she will fight Jews supporting BDS by educating them about Torah

Activism

Once the Peace and Freedom Party nominee for president, now one of Donald Trump’s most known celebrity surrogates, Roseanne Barr spoke last weekend at the Jerusalem Post conference in New York about Israel and her effort to “bring people back” who boycott the Jewish state.

Barr told Israel’s Channel 2 correspondent Dana Weiss at the top of her talk, “I had to come because I gave my word that I would come. But also, it’s a great chance to bitch about how much I hate BDSers.” The audience was with her, laughing and applauding as she explained, “Well I hate everything that’s a lie based on anti-Semitism. And you know, I’m a Jew, that’s why.”

“Jews who are against other Jews is always been our problem since the first story in Torah. So maybe this time we could do something about it. And change it. We need to love each other. Jews need to love each other,” Barr said.

In the weeks preceding Barr’s talk, actress and director Natalie Portman refused to accept an award in Israel. After receiving harsh backlash from Israeli officials, some of whom called for revoking Portman’s citizenship (she holds dual citizenship with the U.S. and Israel), Portman released a statement clarifying she pulled out rather than share the stage with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and because of “atrocities” by Israel. Reporters from Israel later revealed Portman initially wrote to the award host, the Genesis Prize, that she was distressed by Israel’s response to protesters in Gaza, in which at least 41 Palestinians were killed since late March.

Asked how Barr would convince Portman, who is now viewed as boycotting Israel in some form, though she rejects affiliation with the BDS movement, Barr said she would teach “Jewish history and Torah.”

“Well first I would make her a lovely meal. That always starts everything peaceful,” Barr stated, “And then I would just talk to her about Jewish history and Torah. Cause I think that those are the things that bring people back and wake people up and I do it a lot.”

Barr explained religion is her chief tool to sway Jewish critics of Israel.

“When I first started to fight BDS it was in San Diego, San Francisco… I just wanted to talk about Jewish history, and Torah, and our connection to this land that we’ve had for thousands of years,” Barr said.

“I’m telling you the truth, they know very little about it. They think it’s something that happened in the 40’s. They are not really all that educated,” Barr said of Jewish BDS activists, “And when I would tell them ‘well, do you know it says this and that? Do you know you’re looking at the greatest recorded rebellion of a slave class of people that’s ever been written?’ — they don’t know anything about that either.”

Asked if Portman’s position is one on the rise among younger American Jews who are less interested in Israel and more critical of it, Barr said, “Well yeah, it seems that way,” adding, “they are way out there. And we have to figure out a way to reach them instead of turning them off.”

Raised in an Orthodox Jewish home, Barr has a longstanding interest in Judaism but a more recent role as an advocate for Israel. Her first trip was a personal visit in 1998 where she toured sites of Jewish ritual baths. Her third and most recent trip was in 2016 where she was a guest of the hardline pro-Israeli group StandWithUs. Barr brought her octogenarian mom with her. The two visited the Knesset and went to Hadassah hospital to meet children receiving care. She said she contracted dysentery after visiting a quarantined patient. The trip was eyeopening for Barr who was also invited to speak at an anti-BDS conference.

Barr explained. “It was just a great memory.”

“I want to move to Israel and run for Prime Minister—I do,” she told the audience, repeating a statement she has made a few times over the last six years.

“In 2012 I said that I was going to run for president of the U.S. and prime minister of Israel, a twofer. You know I do have that fantasy […] If God calls me I’ll go of course.”

“I still have the fantasy of being an old Jewish lady living in the Jewish homeland,” she said. “I want to buy a farm there and maybe bring my family.”

Switching to president Donald Trump, Barr said she was an early supporter, and described a long standing relationship with the president. “You know I met him several times when he was a civilian,” she said. “He’s always been very nice to me.”

“He’s one of the few people that would always make a guest appearance on any show I was on, that’s a certain kind of loyalty,” she said.

Trump called Barr after the release of the reboot of her sitcom “Roseanne” cinched an unexpected 27 million viewers for the premier. Much like herself, the lead character is also a Trump supporter. The massive rating thrust Barr back into the news cycle with appearances on late night shows.

Trump, she went on, is “really into ratings like I am. He’s really into ratings and the demographics of the ratings.”  Citing survey data that Mondoweiss could not confirm to any pollster, Barr added, “63 percent” of Americans “and growing by the day,” support the president. In contrast Gallup’s most recent poll on the presidential approval rate is 42 percent, his all-time high.

It was during that call, Barr told Trump, “on behalf of my mother, and all of the Jewish people, I want to thank you,” for promising to move the U.S embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. “I think it’s the first step to peace in the world. I really do,” she noted.

The Palestinian leadership and the Trump administration’s envoy on Middle East peace discontinued pre-talks to negotiations after the announcement last December.

Correction: This post originally incorrectly said that Roseanne Barr had been the Green Party presidential nominee for president. In 2012, Barr ran for the nomination and and lost to Jill Stein. She went on to be the 2012 nominee for the Peace and Freedom Party.

About Allison Deger

Allison Deger is the Assistant Editor of Mondoweiss.net. Follow her on twitter at @allissoncd.

1. Emory Riddle
    May 5, 2018, 10:27 am

Amazing. Israel is slaughtering Gazans in full view of the world and Roseanne and her ilk think attempts to reign them in are “anti-Semitic”.

2. broadside
    May 5, 2018, 11:21 am

‘“I think [moving the U.S embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem is] the first step to peace in the world. I really do,” she noted.’

Zionism distilled. Pure mendacity.

• weiss
      May 6, 2018, 11:37 am

Exactly!!!

Notice Zionism was never mentioned as we’ll as it’s clear distinction from Judaism

Who is uneducated???

• LHunter
        May 6, 2018, 3:06 pm

Nothing about the Palestinians and their suffering either Phil.

3. Kay24
    May 5, 2018, 11:27 am

Maybe her twisted version of the Torah. She is a hypocrite. I did not realize that when the Torah was handed over to Moses in 1312 BC, BDS was the current topic of interest, and that it was referenced in some fashion. Looks like her version of the Torah teaches to hate too. Nasty woman.

4. pabelmont
    May 5, 2018, 11:41 am

Jews need to love each other,” Barr said.

OK, fair enough, though I do not accept this weird proposition. Should Jews love all criminals who happen to be Jews? Really? Well, as I said, OK.

So, Roseanne, what about YOU loving Jewish BDSers? Or am I missing something here?

5. Maghlawatan
    May 5, 2018, 4:18 pm

Barr is an extremist. She is linked to Infowars and is a Trump supporter

• echinococcus
      May 6, 2018, 12:03 am

And how does that make her more of an “extremist” than the other Zionists –Democrats and Republicans?

6. Ossinev
    May 5, 2018, 5:43 pm

BTW this is the same Roseanne Barr:
    Barr elicited criticism in July 2009 when she posed as Adolf Hitler in a feature for the satirical Jewish publication Heeb magazine, called “That Oven Feelin'”.[57][58] The Nazi theme was reportedly her suggestion, and featured her with a Hitler mustache and swastika arm-band, holding a tray of burnt gingerbread man cookies the article referred to as “burnt Jew cookies”.[59] The magazine’s publisher, Josh Neuman, said that the photos were taken for “satire” and “shock value”, while Barr defended herself by saying that she was “making fun of Hitler, not his victims”.[60] Fox News TV host Bill O’Reilly was highly critical of her for “mocking the Holocaust” and Extra’s Mario Lopez stated “Come on, Roseanne. Hitler jokes are never funny.”[61][62] The reboot of her show in March 2018 caused the photos to resurface on social media and renewed mentions of the incident in the Jewish magazine The Forward and the Los Angeles Times, among others.[58][63][62]

So go then already FFS. P… off to your country of first loyalty and please persuade your boyfriend Mad Donald to get converted and qualify as a Category 2 chosen to go with with you – what a smashing couple you will make and you will both feel right at home in the Zioasylum.He can build the highest farm in the history of the universe with a range of gold and marble byres for the cows and you can dedicate yourself to becoming a full time Fascist Prime Minister of the only Middle East Democracy in the Western World(shurely shome mhistake Ed.?)

• Marnie
      May 6, 2018, 9:03 am

For sure. She’s already an old jewish lady so halfway there at least. I never watched the original roseanne and have no inclination to see the 2.0 version. It bugs me though, she’s jewish, playing a lower middle class christian? character calling anyone who disagrees with her antisemitic, but otherwise indistinguishable from so much of tRUMP’s base being led by his siren song:

Give me your tired, your poor white trash, yearning to make amerikkka great again. The anglo saxon men and women of your trailer parks teeming with the wretched refuse of beer bottles and syringes. Send these, the meth and Norco addicted, soon to be homeless straight to roseanne; FFS – I don’t want them anywhere near my beeyouteeful white house.

7. CigarGod
    May 5, 2018, 8:12 pm

Again with the “speak for all Jews” nonsense.

And…

“I’ve met him a few times…” with a drink in one hand and and a sock puppet in the other so they could really get to know each other.

8. eljay
    May 5, 2018, 9:21 pm

… The presence of Jewish activists in the BDS movement “threatens our existence,” she said. …

That sounds very dramatic, but the presence of Jewish activists in the BDS movement doesn’t “threaten the existence” of Jews, Americans or women. It does threaten the existence of a religion-supremacist “Jewish State” and the supremacism of Jews within it, and that’s what troubles Roseanne (and every other Zionist).

… We need to love each other. Jews need to love each other,” Barr said. …

If she means unconditionally, she’s wrong. No-one should love anyone unconditionally, and there’s nothing about the religion-based identity of “Jewish” that merits unconditional love.

… Barr said she ponders retiring in Israel, “I want to make aliyah, I do, before all of the stuff [real estate] is sold.” …

No point being an American Zionist in America when you can go to a foreign land and partake of the spoils of Zionism.

… “I still have the fantasy of being an old Jewish lady living in the Jewish homeland,” she said. …

According to Wiki, she’s an American born to American parents whose predecessors came from Russia, Austria-Hungary and Lithuania. Geographic Palestine is neither her homeland nor the homeland of every other person in the world who – like Roseanne – chose to embrace the religion-based identity of Jewish.

9. Kaisa of Finland
    May 6, 2018, 12:15 am

““I want to move to Israel and run for Prime Minister..”

I mean, what is there to say?? Good luck with working with the diplomatic relations between Israel and Lebanon, Syria, Iran etc. I am sure Roseanne you can handle them very well.. (Peace and love and so on..)

10. JWalters
    May 6, 2018, 1:27 am

“Jews need to love each other”, Barr said. And they need to “hate” BDSers, she added. In explaining things to Natalie Portman, “I just want to talk about Jewish history, and Torah, and our connection to this land that we’ve had for thousands of years.” The way to explain things to a BDSer is, “My great, great, great, … [20 centuries]…, great, great grandfather lived in this area, so that house you’re living in is mine! Get out now or you’re dead!” And the crowd went wild.

• marc b.
      May 6, 2018, 1:59 pm

So bleeping dumb. Sitting on her nut ranch in Hawaii preaching about historical rights.

11. Marnie
    May 6, 2018, 1:59 am

“Do you know you’re looking at the greatest recorded rebellion of a slave class of people that’s ever been written?’—they don’t know anything about that either.” Yes, please tell us everything you know about Nat Turner, Denmark Vessey, Gabriel Prosser. Go down Roseanne.

12. Marnie
    May 6, 2018, 9:12 am

Funny that roseanne is such a true believer in tRUMP. Sounds like she doesn’t know her master very well. He has a real thing for the flag and expects americans, especially americans of a particular hue and career, to show unflinching respect to that piece of cloth, even though ‘cadet bone spurs’ got 5 deferments to avoid defending that flag when so many brown brothers had no choice at all and served their country, which has yet to do right by them. compare their patriotism to the bag of wind below:

13. guyn
    May 6, 2018, 2:02 pm

Each time someone tries to defend Israel, this person looks foolish.

14. LHunter
    May 6, 2018, 4:42 pm

Twofer – Barr as Prez of the US and PM of Israel – step up or down considering who we currently have?

• JWalters
      May 6, 2018, 7:41 pm

Netanyahu is already doing that. Trump is merely the Governor of Israel’s American province.

• Misterioso
        May 7, 2018, 10:45 am

@JWalters

“Trump is merely the Governor of Israel’s American province.”
        And the real “president” of “Israel’s American province” and puppet master of Netanyahu and Trump is billionaire casino mogul, Sheldon Adelson.

• JWalters
        May 9, 2018, 1:53 am

Misterioso, thanks for adding that very important part of the picture. And was Adelson’s casino operation set up as a slush fund by an even bigger pool of money?

15. strangefriend
    May 6, 2018, 7:18 pm

Roseanne Barr wants to teach Ms. Portman about the Torah. Natalie Portman needs to teach Roseanne Barr about The Age Of Reason by Thomas Paine.

16. Kathleen
    May 7, 2018, 12:35 am

Barr is an arrogant blowhard who believes in myths (Torah, Bible written by Jewish guys with an agenda) and liars.

Someone needs to teach Barr about the facts that she is not interested in.

17. Qualtrough
    May 7, 2018, 3:02 am

It is hard to attach much importance to any stand she takes when you look at her bio. She was hit by a car and hospitalized with a traumatic brain injury when 16 years old for eight months. When she turned 18 she walked out from her family and never returned. At some later point she claimed she was an incest survivor, which was news to everyone in her family. Many years later she walked that back somewhat. She has taken controversial stands only to abandon them or do an about face later. Being from a Jewish family but raised for all intents and purposes as a Mormon must have been confusing as well.

18. Misterioso
    May 7, 2018, 11:15 am

Roseanne Barr is a nut bar and a fraud.

She used to be vehemently anti-Israel.

To wit:

Roseanne Barr Says Israel Must End Their Blockade and Occupation of Gaza

By Kathleen Wells, J.D., Huffington Post, June 17, 2010

EXCERPT:
    “’It is time for American Jews to demand that Obama instruct Israel to obey international law.’”

“Well-known actress and comedian, Roseanne Barr, has been a consistent and persistent voice for decades against some of the acts committed by the state of Israel. Specifically, she has vigorously, unflinchingly, unequivocally, uncompromisingly, and courageously called upon Israel to end its occupation of the West Bank and Gaza.”

“Roseanne Barr Is a Complete Nut”
    By J. J. MCCULLOUGH – April 5, 2018 6:30 AM – National Review

EXCERPT:
    “Her views on Jews and Israel fluctuate wildly — in the past, she has called Israel a ‘Nazi state’ and alleged that Zionism was created by the Third Reich (I challenge you to succinctly summarize the opinions expressed here**) , though more recently she’s taken to accusing Hillary Clinton of plotting Israel’s destruction and labeling aide Huma Abedin a ‘Nazi whore.'”

“Jews and other cult victims!:”

“Roseanne Comments,” August 6, 2010 2:05 PM
    “Hitler is in drag, eating little burned Palestinian cookies! Aipac translated the picture to mean: I was making fun of holocaust victims. morons, the murderers of the jewish people. Many of the Palestinian people are jewish and became christian after Israel stole their land and homes. They were dark skinned, and so driven out of their homes by a cheney-ized Judeo Christian Bushite America. the jewish american socialists are sending a flotilla from america to break the blockade of the anti-semitic zionists in Gaza! Zionists are German. weird hybrid. In order to defeat euro socialism, Hitler leveraged the rich jewish industrialists against the working class jews. The Russian accounts say that the last trains to Auschwitz were first class, as that is all the leverage left to the jewish oligarchs within the ‘reich’, (other than the jews like Hitler, Goebbels, and Himmler at the top). The scientists of the Reich successfully created a mutant human–a hybrid of Jewish mentality and German Resolve, the Zionist– He who broke the back of the labor movements and socialism,— which is the goal of National Socialism—(different word for the American Southern Confederacy-the one Anne Coulter loves).”

• LHunter
      May 9, 2018, 8:02 pm

Misterioso – wow – what a switch – Roseanne must be smelling $

19. edwardm
    May 7, 2018, 11:50 am

“by educating them about Torah”. She’ll be joining Neturei Karta then?

May 7, 2018, 12:47 pm

” She’ll be joining Neturei Karta then?”

Yup. I suspect she may find that in spite of all the Zionist boilerplate added to their “about” page, the usual American Jewish denominations exist in a religious contradiction.

20. santasa
    May 7, 2018, 2:51 pm

She contracted dysentery: Barr explained. “It was just a great memory.”

21. Arby
    May 10, 2018, 8:16 am

They – Roseanne Barr and Gina Haspel – don’t look like monsters, Do they?