- From the Royal Albert Concert Hall to an Israeli Dungeon: … 14
- After attending Mandela’s memorial, Knesset member’s blood rejected in gov’t … 27
- Narrative stronger than weapons: the 23 short stories in ‘Gaza … 3
- Shared values: Likud member says Prawer Plan akin to what … 19
- Netanyahu didn’t go to Mandela memorial because he needed ’100s’ … 22
- Forward publisher says ‘America’s full acceptance of its Jewish citizens’ … 30
- 92d St Y speaker decried those who ‘suck the cocks … 8
- Israeli government hid map of Prawer plan from Bedouins and … 2
- Man of zeal? 0
- Fallows: A free society must reckon with Blumenthal’s book, as … 0
- NBC features Peres’s support for apartheid as Mandela ‘languished in … 0
- Remember Mandela’s actions, Kerry urges Palestinians and Israelis 0
- Help send Netanyahu to the Mandela memorial! 0
- Obama and Kerry drop talk of Palestinian state for ‘state … 0
- Honor Mandela by viewing Palestine with the same moral clarity … 0
- Kerry threatens to delay Palestinian prisoner release if PA refuses … 0
- Israeli report: Kerry proposed long-term Israeli military presence in the … 140
- Netanyahu’s ‘gift’ to Pope: book on Catholic church’s persecution of … 128
- Obama and Kerry drop talk of Palestinian state for ‘state … 88
- Obama’s Mandela eulogy — moving, and hypocritical 87
- Man of zeal? 83
- At New America Foundation, Max Blumenthal warns Israeli policy is … 76
- Deconstructing Netanyahu’s tribute to Mandela 71
- ‘NYT’ and Wash Post won’t tell us why Dems are … 71
- RT @WordreamsTweets: @Mondoweiss article about the upcoming Gaza Writes Back, copyedited by Wordreams! http://t.co/Hsb8Vj8Gjz, 10 hours ago
- RT @Remroum: Made a donation to @Mondoweiss. But didn't take the gift copy of @MaxBlumenthal's book. Got my copy already. Donate: https://t.co/kEg7uuogeA, 10 hours ago
- RT @Detroit_to_Gaza: @Mondoweiss - University of Michigan Palestine rights campaign goes global: http://t.co/GVdeW7QCaD: "Thousands of students 'evicted' ", 10 hours ago
- RT @Remroum: Hillel is not a space for Jewish students, according to the Hillel president, but a space for Zionist Jewish students http://t.co/q1aU7Nsv9q, 11 hours ago
- RT @MJPlitnick: Israeli pols show contempt for Mandela's legacy: Israeli lawmakers absent from SA ambassador's memorial for Mandela http://t.co/xHIlE9ChE2, 13 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- ‘NYT’ and Wash Post won’t tell us why Dems are hurting Obama on Iran deal (76)
- Deconstructing Netanyahu’s tribute to Mandela (76)
- MahaneYehude1: @Annie: if you’re so interested in peace why not hang around some racist Zionist site and pester them...
- Israeli report: Kerry proposed long-term Israeli military presence in the Jordan Valley (143)
- Justpassingby: Hostage You are complaining about negotiations that he supervised before there was ever any question...
- Interview with Roger Waters: ‘It’s a duty for artists to speak out’ (12)
- Shared values: Likud member says Prawer Plan akin to what ‘Americans did to the Indians’ (19)
- Cliff: From a moonofalabama commentator quoting a book by Mark Mazower: There were no historical parallels for such...
- Forward publisher says ‘America’s full acceptance of its Jewish citizens’ is bad for the Jews (30)
- yonah fredman: Jewish lore tells of Jews who threw their tefillin into the water when they saw the Statue of Liberty...
- From the Royal Albert Concert Hall to an Israeli Dungeon: Omar Saad, a young violist and conscientious objector (14)
Author Archives: Adam Horowitz and Ahmed Moor
All The News That Is ‘significant or surprising’: NYT editor defends ignoring NSA-Israel collaboration (Updated)
The New York Times public editor Margaret Sullivan has an interesting post today on the paper’s decision to ignore last week’s Guardian scoop that the National Security Agency was sharing raw intelligence (including that about U.S. citizens) with Israel. Sullivan queried Times Managing Editor Dean Baquet about the oversight and he stands by it.
Two resources from The Institute for Middle East Understanding to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Oslo Accords.
‘AIPAC must be kept for consensus issues only’: Israeli diplomat slams Israel lobby for engaging on Syria
Interesting tidbit from Ben Caspit in Al Monitor. He quotes a “long-standing diplomatic source” described as “an expert regarding the entire historical background of Israeli-US relations” who is extremely critical of AIPAC’s decision to push for a U.S. strike on Syria.
Sheldon Adelson has given his first interview on Syria to the National Journal. He offers President Obama his help in what would be “the most unusual marriage of political convenience.”
Rep. Alan Grayson tells Democracy Now’s Amy Goodman that the Israel lobby is outflanked on Syria, by the people.
AIPAC is planning to go “all out” to push for a U.S. attack on Syria, but according to reports in Politico it appears they will be doing it alone. Rep. Alan Grayson, who has been leading the charge against authorizing … Continue reading
Latest ‘generous offer’ leaked: Israel wants to control Jordan River and 40% of West Bank while Palestinians get ‘temporary borders’
The Associated Press offers the first inside look inside the restarted Israeli-Palestinian peace process and it isn’t pretty. According to an unnamed Palestinian source Israel wants to keep control of 40% of the West Bank, including military bases in the Jordan Valley. The official says, “From the general discussions we had in the last couple of weeks, the Israelis have shown no intention to dismantle any settlement.”
Bloomberg reports Sheldon Adelson is fully behind President Obama’s plan to attack Syria. Adelson and his pro-Israel allies say an attack would send a message to Iran.
A Chicago Friends of the IDF fundraiser raised $8.8 million for a gym for a Special Forces unit, a wellbeing center at the Ramon Air Force base, and various educational programs for IDF soldiers.
The Institute for Middle East Understanding has compiled a “Facts on the Ground Peace Index” to track Israeli actions on the ground since new talks were announced late last month.
The realities of Palestinian land loss are on display in Vancouver, as a new series of transit ads has been posted at the Vancouver City Centre SkyTrain station and on 15 TransLink buses, on August 27, 2013. The ads, created by the Palestine Awareness Coalition, made up of seven Vancouver-area peace and justice groups, depict the “disappearance” of Palestine due to Israeli occupation over the past 66 years.
After running a racist anti-Arab campaign for mayor, Nazareth Illit mayor Shimon Gapso writes an editorial for Haaretz titled “If you think I’m a racist, then Israel is a racist state.”
A video produced by the organization Adalah: The Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights in Israel about the Prawer Plan which will destroy dozens of ‘unrecognized’ Arab Bedouin villages in the Naqab, forcibly displace up to 70,000 Bedouin citizens of Israel, and confiscate over 800,000 dunams of their ancestral Bedouin land.
Ondaatje, Martel and over 70 of Canada’s leading writers call on Israel to reject Prawer Plan and West Bank evictions
Last week, a group of Canadian novelists, poets and activists wrote an open letter to the Israeli and Canadian governments calling on Israel to halt the evictions of Palestinians from the South Hebron Hills to make way for the military live fire range, and to reject the Prawer Plan, under which tens of thousands of Bedouin citizens of Israel will be forcibly relocated from their communities in the Negev.
Open Letter to Filmmaker Mohsen Makhmalbaf: Please be a messenger of freedom for Iranian and Palestinian people
An open letter from Iranian scholars, activists, and artists asking filmmaker Mohsen Makhmalbaf to boycott the Jerusalem International Film Festival and reject an award from the festival. The letter is the first ever grassroots Iranian BDS statement.
Haaretz reports: “Israel Defense Forces soldiers earlier this week were videotaped detaining a five-year-old Palestinian boy in Hebron, after he allegedly threw a stone at an Israeli car on Tuesday.”
July 9th not only marks the 8th anniversary of the Palestinian BDS call, but also the 9th anniversary of the International Court of Justice’s (ICJ) Advisory Opinion that found the Israeli construction of the Separation Wall in the occupied territories to be illegal. In that opinion the ICJ called on Israel to 1.) stop the construction of the wall in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem; 2.) dismantle the structure built in the occupied territories; and 3.) make reparations for all damage caused by the wall’s construction.
Here’s a perfect story to illustrate the U.S.-Israeli collaboration in the “War on Terror.” Haaretz reports officials from the Israeli Medical Association are on their way to the United States to “present policy makers there with their methods of handling hunger strikers” in the Guantanamo Bay detention camp. Above is a video of the actor Yasiin Bey (formally Mos Def) undergoing the force feeding procedure the U.S. is currently using with hunger striking prisoners. Warning, the video is very difficult to watch.
In response to the ongoing news out of Egypt, author Joyce Carol Oates tweeted a rhetorical question about whether the country’s “predominant religion”, Islam, is responsible for the rate of sexual harassment and rape.
Ramah Kudaimi of the U.S. Campaign to end the Israeli Occupation states that “Although it is disappointing that Keys has decided to go ahead with her concert in Tel Aviv and lend her name to Israel’s whitewashing of its crimes against Palestinians, the mobilization of so many groups and people to urge her to cancel is a sign of how much the boycott, divestment, and sanctions movement for Palestinian right has grown. Keys will look back on this concert and realize that she chose to play in an apartheid state just as so many were deciding to stand for justice and no longer normalize Israel’s actions.”
African American artists, clergy and activists to Alicia Keys: ‘the treatment Palestinians face shares much in common with what African Americans experienced under Jim Crow ‘
On May 29th, novelist Alice Walker issued an open letter calling upon Alicia Keys to cancel her scheduled concert in Israel. The letter has created an immense stir, as those who wish to ignore the situation facing the Palestinians hasten to draw a false wall between the experiences of African Americans under Jim Crow and Palestinians today, attacking Alice Walker’s person in the process, in major media outlets including the Wall Street Journal, the Daily News and the New York Post. In signing this letter, we affirm the accuracy of parallels drawn between the experience of African Americans in the U.S. under Jim Crow and Israel’s treatment of Palestinians.
Candid photos taken in Gaza that offer a “glimpse of the situation in the Gaza Strip, a closed, besieged place put under a blockade by the Israel”
‘Courage is Contagious’: Glenn Greenwald electrifies Chicago crowd speaking on Snowden, journalism and the NSA
Friday night in Chicago Glenn Greenwald addressed the Socialism 2013 conference live via Skype and reflected for the first time on the past month in the wake of his interview with Edward Snowden, and subsequent disclosures regarding the National Security Agency’s spying on American citizens. In an impassioned introduction, journalist Jeremy Scahill called Greenwald the “conscience of America” and attacked his critics in the beltway press corps.
‘I was not a party to, and never will be, to the planting of trees on expropriated and stolen land’: Former South African Ambassador to Israel rejects JNF trees planted in his name
Upon completion of his service as South African Ambassador to Israel, Ismail Coovadia was informed that the Jewish National Fund was planting 18 trees in his name in the “Ambassador’s Forest.” This JNF forest was inaugurated in 2005 and sits on the demolished Bedouin village of al-Araqib. Coovadia has informed the JNF he rejects the “honor” and says planting the trees in his name without his knowledge “is nothing less than an offence to my dignity and integrity. I was not a party to, and never will be, to the planting of ’18 trees’, in my ‘honour’, on expropriated and stolen land.”