- ‘No food, no water to revive awaiting certain death…’: Horrifying … 4
- On ‘Death to Arabs’ in Jerusalem & Tel Aviv 9
- 9 Reasons why Israel is under rocket attack 8
- It’s time for liberal Jewish bodies to take a stand 22
- Critical Ethnic Studies Association and the African Literature Association endorse … 1
- Palestinians build tunnel to attack Israeli kindergarten, Netanyahu says 17
- Speaking to the Deaf: Activists attempt to talk with the … 1
- ‘Heartbreaking’ is U.S. government’s talking point for Gaza massacre 54
- In Photos: Activists clash with Israeli and Palestinian Authority forces … 0
- Hamas wants to pile up ‘telegenically-dead Palestinians for their cause’ … 0
- Kristof says Stephen Hawking and American Studies Association support Hamas 0
- Video: ‘It’s a hell of a pinpoint operation’ — John … 0
- This Jew can’t support Israel 0
- Gaza, a poem 0
- ‘Washington Post’ exhibits naked double standard in Israeli, Palestinian deaths … 0
- Look at Netanyahu’s ‘evidence’ that civilians are harboring rockets in … 0
- Massacre in Gaza: At least 60 killed in Shuja’iyeh, over … 363
- Finally, Israel is alienating the US mainstream media 234
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) 216
- ‘We are moving from Iron Dome to an iron fist’: … 216
- Israeli strike kills four Palestinian children playing soccer on Gaza … 193
- Understanding Hamas 160
- Israel is in a pickle 138
- The deafening silence around the Hamas proposal for a 10-year … 130
- "Shots fired tank shells & sniper most of the houses were destroyed, including my house" - Report from #Khuza'a http://t.co/w2X4IAG9mB #Gaza, 12 mins ago
- RT @bbclysedoucet: "We couldn't reach them" says a medic. People still trapped inside Khuza'ah but some escaped on foot to reach @ICRC_ilot ambulances, 14 mins ago
- RT @MalakaMohammed: #Khuza'a is under heavy artillery and aerial bombing since <16 hours and ambulances cannot reach injuries and the dead. #GazaUnderAttack, 15 mins ago
- "Martyrs & the wounded in the streets & under the rubble asking for help no one answered"- report from #Khuza'a http://t.co/w2X4IAG9mB #Gaza, 18 mins ago
- Horrifying report of 50 dead & hundreds wounded in #Khuza'a village east of Khan Younis http://t.co/w2X4IAG9mB #GazaUnderAttack, 23 mins ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- The deafening silence around the Hamas proposal for a 10-year truce (124)
- Shingo: Hamas must think Israelis are stupid by offering Israel a hudna that it will readily break when its strong...
- seafoid: It’s interesting to read Israel’s attitude before they started the offensive...
- talknic: If UNRWA handed them to Hamas where’s the problem? Hamas is the authority. Hamas is permitted to be...
- Arab reporters come under attack from Israelis (86)
- seafoid: Mr Danny Danon of Likud says of the FAA’s decision to ban incoming American flights...
- Walid: “Is there any word on whether or not HB intends to get involved?” dbroncos, not a word other than...
- Walid: “Walid I thought Dahlan was living in UAE? Did he relocate?” My mistake, Sumud, I have my...
- The fascists wanted to murder us: An eyewitness account of Haifa’s anti-war protest (21)
- Shingo: Where were you when they built the Dimona facility and then lied to the world about its existence. You’re...
- ‘Telegenically Dead’: Israel’s crumbling media war (57)
- seafoid: Lucy Aharish is a Palestinian TV anchor on Israeli TV http://www.haaretz.com/news...
- Naomi Wolf walked out of synagogue when they had nothing to say about Gaza massacre (54)
- The deafening silence around the Hamas proposal for a 10-year truce (124)
Author Archives: Roland Nikles
I find this New York Times op-ed by Shmuel Rosner, “Don’t Annex the West Bank,” pretty radical. Here are its main points: 1. The settler right of Uri Elitzur and left of Reuven Rivlin are ready to annex the West Bank and … Continue reading
Despite being at Berkeley, with its liberal reputation, I was reminded repeatedly that talking about Palestine, standing up for Muslim and Arab students, and opposing the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan not only made tongues wag with accusations of anti-Americanism, it also simultaneously brought the intense scrutiny of state agencies with respect to my activism and paradoxically the conscious neglect of the state when I received death threats –Snehal Shingavi
Anonymous, 18, is a Greek-Palestinian British student who lives in London. The author usually goes to Jordan every 2 years, but never had the chance to go to Palestine and hoped to this year as part of a volunteering program. … Continue reading
Here is yet another story of a Palestinian being harassed while trying to travel through Israel’s Ben Gurion Airport. Anonymous lives in Berkeley, her father is Palestinian and her mother is Jewish. Here she recounts how she was interrogated and strip searched while trying to leave Israel/Palestine after visiting family in Jaffa and Tel Aviv, “I had been mistreated, combed out of the crowd and profiled, my time wasted and my dignity subsequently stepped all over without a second thought. I had been treated like a criminal for having an identity that I was born into, told explicitly in each of these actions that I did not belong here and had no place here at all as a person with Palestinian heritage. Harassed and picked out from the rest because of my name, my history, the assumptions that go with them, and my very intention to visit my family, many of who cannot visit me in the USA.”
For many years, NYT columnist David Brooks has found that some cultures are “resistant” to progress and lack the “democratic mentality.” You’d never guess which!
Saturday night in Tel Aviv a 52-year-old man named Moshe Silman immolated himself during a march marking the one year anniversary of the J14 protest movement within Israel. Ynet reports, “Eye witnesses said Silman read out a letter before pouring flammable liquid over himself and setting himself on fire. He left copies of the letter scattered on the ground. . . ‘The State of Israel robbed me and left me with nothing,’ he wrote.” Here is a reaction from an anonymous protester who was in the crowd in Tel Aviv.
Activists in Egypt reject the current elections as a strategy to derail the goals of the revolution to oust the Mubarak regime.
To all those in the United States currently occupying parks, squares and other spaces, your comrades in Cairo are watching you in solidarity. Having received so much advice from you about transitioning to democracy, we thought it’s our turn to … Continue reading
Dearest Cynthia McKinney, Two years ago, you spoke out against Israel’s human rights abuses in Palestine. You were even put in an Israeli prison after your attempts to help deliver medical supplies and humanitarian aid on a ship to Gaza … Continue reading
This week, key international organizations have come closer to endorsing Palestinian readiness for an independent state. Notably, in preparation for tomorrow’s meeting in Brussels of the Ad Hoc Liaison Committee (AHLC), a 12-member committee of the European Union and United … Continue reading
Obama, Clinton, Gates know how to pick their friends. Exactly the same ones as Bush, so what is the difference between the administrations? Wall Street Journal (Adam Entous and Julian Barnes): After weeks of internal debate on how to respond … Continue reading
The ad above greeted commuters passing through several major Bay Area Rapid Transit stations in San Francisco and the East Bay this week. At other stations travelers could feast their eyes on this one: The ads – professionally printed, but … Continue reading
Sorry I can’t use this contributor’s name but he/she makes some good points, to the rabbi who exposed Helen Thomas. Dear Rabbi Nesenoff, Helen Thomas has been rightfully criticized for her comments to you. Yet you are on record at … Continue reading
On Thursday evening, three days after the Israeli attack on the activists attempting to bring aid to the people of Gaza, Larry King interviewed President Obama on CNN. Towards the latter part of the interview, the President was asked about … Continue reading
On Netanyahu and the Entebbe motive [for the flotilla raid]: psychoanalytic explanation was a reflex of our parents’ time. It is now is too little used. Netanyahu is the emotionally tunneled sibling of a martyr brother, son of a big … Continue reading
"That’s it. If I’ve lost Walter Cronkite, I’ve lost Middle America"– President Lyndon B. Johnson, February, 1968 After reading the tragic and heartbreaking news concerning the Israeli attack on the activists attempting to bring humanitarian aid to the people of … Continue reading
Keith did it last night. Had on as guest Edward Peck, the deputy director of the terrorism task force in the Reagan administration and passenger on one of the ships of the flotilla. Olbermann was skeptical of Israeli claims. Peck … Continue reading
Spotted this on my walk home from work yesterday – corner of Whitney and Trumbull, New Haven, CT.
The Times covered the Goldstone bar mitzvah controversy on its front page Saturday. See second paragraph; what does reporter Barry Bearak mean by "countrymen"?
From Haaretz: She added: "But we believe that through good-faith negotiations, the parties can mutually agree to an outcome which ends the conflict and reconciles the Palestinian goal of an independent and viable state based on the ’67 lines, with … Continue reading
Interesting piece in the Forward this week: "Jerusalem Quartet Draws Discordant Note in Britain." It is your by-now-standard harassing of an Israeli cultural presentation in London by BDS types, but with some great twists. 1) The lunch time presentation was … Continue reading
Here’s J Street touting a Jewish democracy in the Washington Post. And here’s the ADL quoting Justice Stevens on the separation between religion and government.
Two weeks ago on this site, Michael Ratner reviewed a play about Gaza called The Human Scale, by Lawrence Wright, a writer for the New Yorker. The show ran for four nights in NY. Well, here is another review, which … Continue reading
The BBC puts U.S. corporate and public media to shame, violating taboos on Israel. On “BBC World News America” last night, host Matt Frei asked Middle East editor Jeremy Bowen point-blank about the Israeli government’s announcement yesterday (news ignored by … Continue reading
Lawrence Wright authored ‘The Looming Tower,’ which is widely regarded as the definitive account of al-Qaeda. The book is called the ‘bible’ by intelligence operatives. Now what does this text say of the fateful triangle (Israel, Palestine and Islamic militancy). … Continue reading