- Film Review — ‘Al Helm: Martin Luther King in Palestine’ 1
- South African activists post pro-Palestine banners at Mandela memorial 3
- Protesters ask Target to drop Israeli settlement product SodaStream 4
- ‘NYT’ and Wash Post won’t tell us why Dems are … 39
- ‘They’re not being kind to the brothers’ (Why Keith Richards … 9
- Deconstructing Netanyahu’s tribute to Mandela 44
- Despite being hard up for cash, Netanyahu (sorta) makes an … 2
- Mandela and the responsibility of activism 13
- Israeli report: Kerry proposed long-term Israeli military presence in the … 0
- Interview with Roger Waters: ‘It’s a duty for artists to … 0
- Israeli military attacks Palestinian commemorations of Nelson Mandela 0
- Israel apologists attempted to discredit Mandela with false Israel apartheid … 0
- ‘The Israeli sniper shot my son as if he hunted … 0
- Thousands mourn Wajih Wajdi al-Ramahi, 14, following ‘assassination’ by Israeli … 0
- Netanyahu ducks Mandela memorial 0
- Butler: ASA boycott resolution pressures Israeli and US institutions supporting … 0
- Corasanti responds to Abulhawa: My purpose in writing ‘The Almond … 200
- Netanyahu’s ‘gift’ to Pope: book on Catholic church’s persecution of … 128
- Israeli report: Kerry proposed long-term Israeli military presence in the … 122
- Obama’s Mandela eulogy — moving, and hypocritical 87
- Obama and Kerry drop talk of Palestinian state for ‘state … 80
- At New America Foundation, Max Blumenthal warns Israeli policy is … 76
- Man of zeal? 75
- Help send Netanyahu to the Mandela memorial! 65
- South African activists post pro-Palestine banners at Mandela memorial http://t.co/3BmK05QVN9, 8 hours ago
- RT @aptly_engineerd: Israel approves detention without charges for African migrants http://t.co/5SUIhnyfpt via @reuters, 11 hours ago
- RT @elivalley: “'Anti-Zionists’ will not be permitted to speak using the Hillel name or under the Hillel roof.” - @eric_fingerhut http://t.co/yLjpfbZv3S, 11 hours ago
- RT @palestinefilm: Ashrawi urges NBC to halt drama series set in East Jerusalem | Maan News Agency http://t.co/2dALLUUJjA, 12 hours ago
- RT @adanielroth: Billel? Hillel Cool? Hillel Zero? Crystal Hillel? Hillel St. Blues? #NewNamesForSwarthmoreHillel @alexbkane @Mondoweiss @simonerzim, 12 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Mandela and the responsibility of activism (13)
- talknic: @ OlegR “What a lovely euphemism for convicted terrorist.” Can’t find any conviction for...
- talknic: OlegR “no Palestinian resistance organization ever made a clear distinction between civilian and...
- OlegR: In the imaginary world of Woody no Palestinian ever did anything wrong or unjustified.
- Israeli report: Kerry proposed long-term Israeli military presence in the Jordan Valley (126)
- Hostage: Both Abbas and Mustapha Bargouti have said they would not allow Jews holding Israeli citizenship to remain....
- Hostage: Presumably that would also mean no Palestinians holding Palestinian citizenship would be allowed to reside...
- Hostage: Sure enough no to residency for Israeli citizens – but do you have proof Abbas would allow Jews who have...
- Obama and Kerry drop talk of Palestinian state for ‘state institutions’ and ‘transition’ (81)
- Man of zeal? (78)
- Mandela and the responsibility of activism (13)
Author Archives: Anonymous
Anonymous, 18, is a Greek-Palestinian British student who lives in London. The author usually goes to Jordan every 2 years, but never had the chance to go to Palestine and hoped to this year as part of a volunteering program. … Continue reading
Here is yet another story of a Palestinian being harassed while trying to travel through Israel’s Ben Gurion Airport. Anonymous lives in Berkeley, her father is Palestinian and her mother is Jewish. Here she recounts how she was interrogated and strip searched while trying to leave Israel/Palestine after visiting family in Jaffa and Tel Aviv, “I had been mistreated, combed out of the crowd and profiled, my time wasted and my dignity subsequently stepped all over without a second thought. I had been treated like a criminal for having an identity that I was born into, told explicitly in each of these actions that I did not belong here and had no place here at all as a person with Palestinian heritage. Harassed and picked out from the rest because of my name, my history, the assumptions that go with them, and my very intention to visit my family, many of who cannot visit me in the USA.”
For many years, NYT columnist David Brooks has found that some cultures are “resistant” to progress and lack the “democratic mentality.” You’d never guess which!
Saturday night in Tel Aviv a 52-year-old man named Moshe Silman immolated himself during a march marking the one year anniversary of the J14 protest movement within Israel. Ynet reports, “Eye witnesses said Silman read out a letter before pouring flammable liquid over himself and setting himself on fire. He left copies of the letter scattered on the ground. . . ‘The State of Israel robbed me and left me with nothing,’ he wrote.” Here is a reaction from an anonymous protester who was in the crowd in Tel Aviv.
Activists in Egypt reject the current elections as a strategy to derail the goals of the revolution to oust the Mubarak regime.
To all those in the United States currently occupying parks, squares and other spaces, your comrades in Cairo are watching you in solidarity. Having received so much advice from you about transitioning to democracy, we thought it’s our turn to … Continue reading
Dearest Cynthia McKinney, Two years ago, you spoke out against Israel’s human rights abuses in Palestine. You were even put in an Israeli prison after your attempts to help deliver medical supplies and humanitarian aid on a ship to Gaza … Continue reading
This week, key international organizations have come closer to endorsing Palestinian readiness for an independent state. Notably, in preparation for tomorrow’s meeting in Brussels of the Ad Hoc Liaison Committee (AHLC), a 12-member committee of the European Union and United … Continue reading
Obama, Clinton, Gates know how to pick their friends. Exactly the same ones as Bush, so what is the difference between the administrations? Wall Street Journal (Adam Entous and Julian Barnes): After weeks of internal debate on how to respond … Continue reading
The ad above greeted commuters passing through several major Bay Area Rapid Transit stations in San Francisco and the East Bay this week. At other stations travelers could feast their eyes on this one: The ads – professionally printed, but … Continue reading
Sorry I can’t use this contributor’s name but he/she makes some good points, to the rabbi who exposed Helen Thomas. Dear Rabbi Nesenoff, Helen Thomas has been rightfully criticized for her comments to you. Yet you are on record at … Continue reading
On Thursday evening, three days after the Israeli attack on the activists attempting to bring aid to the people of Gaza, Larry King interviewed President Obama on CNN. Towards the latter part of the interview, the President was asked about … Continue reading
On Netanyahu and the Entebbe motive [for the flotilla raid]: psychoanalytic explanation was a reflex of our parents’ time. It is now is too little used. Netanyahu is the emotionally tunneled sibling of a martyr brother, son of a big … Continue reading
"That’s it. If I’ve lost Walter Cronkite, I’ve lost Middle America"– President Lyndon B. Johnson, February, 1968 After reading the tragic and heartbreaking news concerning the Israeli attack on the activists attempting to bring humanitarian aid to the people of … Continue reading
Keith did it last night. Had on as guest Edward Peck, the deputy director of the terrorism task force in the Reagan administration and passenger on one of the ships of the flotilla. Olbermann was skeptical of Israeli claims. Peck … Continue reading
Spotted this on my walk home from work yesterday – corner of Whitney and Trumbull, New Haven, CT.
The Times covered the Goldstone bar mitzvah controversy on its front page Saturday. See second paragraph; what does reporter Barry Bearak mean by "countrymen"?
From Haaretz: She added: "But we believe that through good-faith negotiations, the parties can mutually agree to an outcome which ends the conflict and reconciles the Palestinian goal of an independent and viable state based on the ’67 lines, with … Continue reading
Interesting piece in the Forward this week: "Jerusalem Quartet Draws Discordant Note in Britain." It is your by-now-standard harassing of an Israeli cultural presentation in London by BDS types, but with some great twists. 1) The lunch time presentation was … Continue reading
Here’s J Street touting a Jewish democracy in the Washington Post. And here’s the ADL quoting Justice Stevens on the separation between religion and government.
Two weeks ago on this site, Michael Ratner reviewed a play about Gaza called The Human Scale, by Lawrence Wright, a writer for the New Yorker. The show ran for four nights in NY. Well, here is another review, which … Continue reading
The BBC puts U.S. corporate and public media to shame, violating taboos on Israel. On “BBC World News America” last night, host Matt Frei asked Middle East editor Jeremy Bowen point-blank about the Israeli government’s announcement yesterday (news ignored by … Continue reading
Lawrence Wright authored ‘The Looming Tower,’ which is widely regarded as the definitive account of al-Qaeda. The book is called the ‘bible’ by intelligence operatives. Now what does this text say of the fateful triangle (Israel, Palestine and Islamic militancy). … Continue reading
Israel-supporters in the U.S. know they will lose if the issue is framed as a linkage: Palestinian grievances are endangering our troops. Jeffrey Goldberg does some digging: "I called the White House to ask if Biden actually said this. It … Continue reading