- How many ‘Palestinian Arabs’ want to kill ‘all Jews?’ 3
- Tax-deductible US group pushes Israeli control of Temple Mount 13
- Obama and Kerry are spurred by ‘vainglory’ in pursuing talks … 92
- Why should planning in West Bank be divided on ethnic … 4
- No rescue! 14
- Southern Poverty Law Center takes Blumenthal’s side against smear campaign 28
- Mohammed Al-Azza tells Dublin why Aida camp resists occupation 5
- ‘Haaretz’ removes red-baiting headline — ‘I’m not anti-Israel’ — on … 8
- Stephen Walt: publishing ‘Israel lobby’ ended any thought of serving … 0
- Resurrecting Passover? 0
- Palestinian youth say the talks with Israel are futile 0
- The Book of Exodus and the Book of Palestine 0
- ‘NYT’ abided by Israeli gag order even as ‘EI’ scooped … 0
- Reports of anti-Semitism in Ukraine and Hungary 0
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link … 0
- Cornell student government puts the kibosh on divestment debate 0
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link … 185
- Alterman says BDS is helping Netanyahu 111
- Amid ‘climate of fear’ at Vassar, president comes out against … 104
- Alleged K.C. killer: ‘If Jews can have a state of … 100
- The Jewish community must not embrace Ayaan Hirsi Ali 97
- Obama and Kerry are spurred by ‘vainglory’ in pursuing talks … 92
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an 87
- ‘Not a single person in this room would accept living … 86
- RT @bartongellman: Name of Shin Bet chief was well known but official secret. I called 411 and asked for Karmi Gilon’s phone. “You know I can’t tell you that.”, 12 hours ago
- RT @bartongellman: That was long ago. I don’t know conditions now, but it would take real brass to arrest or expel a NYT correspondent. Don’t think I’d obey., 12 hours ago
- RT @bartongellman: I got no gag orders as WP Israel reporter and pretended not to know about them. Once threatened with canceled press card. Not terrifying., 12 hours ago
- RT @bartongellman: Unclear to me how the NYT knew it was under gag order in Israel. Surely not pre-clearance with censors? http://t.co/j9wQ7QB04c, 12 hours ago
- Obama and Kerry are spurred by ‘vainglory’ in pursuing talks — Finkelstein http://t.co/sHhVcJh6lR, 13 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- How many ‘Palestinian Arabs’ want to kill ‘all Jews?’ (3)
- Tax-deductible US group pushes Israeli control of Temple Mount (13)
- Walid: dbroncos, you’re knocking at the wrong door because there it’s mostly about pageantry; it has yet...
- piotr: Friends of LIBI seem to be the most amateurish and half-baked species of Hasbara. Currently, they display...
- dbroncos: I can’t believe that the Arab League is keeping quiet about this Zionist assault on the Al Aqsa...
- No rescue! (14)
- Walid: “… there is no Biblical basis for expecting the redemption of the world prior to Christ’s return....
- Walid: W. Jones, the number that Stain did on the Ukrainians eliminated about 20% of their population; the number...
- Ellen: Mr. Ellis writes yet another confused and confusing post. And superfluous, a bit bizarre. An insult to all...
- Obama and Kerry are spurred by ‘vainglory’ in pursuing talks — Finkelstein (92)
Author Archives: David Samel
A Libyan was convicted of the mass murder in the crash of Pan Am 103 25 years ago, killing 270 people, including villagers in Lockerbie, Scotland. But according to an Al Jazeera documentary that aired in the US last week, he was innocent; and the case served geopolitical aims. David Samel reports on the surprising supporters of the theory that Iran, Syria, and a Palestinian group might have been behind the crash.
Sharon’s effective death in 2006 notwithstanding, his long vegetative state delayed his obituaries for years, and I was most anxious to see how his death would be covered in mainstream outlets like the New York Times. As it turns out, Ethan Bronner’s Times obit was worse than I could have imagined.
Having seen his views on international law repeatedly spurned by actual international lawyers, Dershowitz has lost patience. He now asks, Who needs international law anyway? In a recent talk at the Institute of National Strategic Studies in Tel Aviv, Dershowitz described international law as “a construct in the mind of a bunch of left wing academics. There is no basis for international law in any reality. It’s not based on legislation. Much of it is not based on treaty. It is the ultimate exercise in elitist nondemocracy.”
As expected, Alan Dershowitz responded to the American Studies Association support of BDS movement’s by smearing the voters as anti-Semitic.
Beinart demands equality for the Cheney sisters, but is ‘willing to compromise’ equality of Palestinian Israelis
As Peter Beinart leaves Open Zion to pursue writing about other subjects of interest, he has taken an uncompromising stance against Liz Cheney’s grudging tolerance of her sister’s sexual orientation. It’s nice to see Beinart take such a strong stand on equality. Too bad he does not feel it should be a universal principle.
In a series of recent blog posts, MJ Rosenberg has unleashed a shocking stream of invective directed against Ali Abunimah, including: “I believe that Ali Abunimah would be ecstatic if Israel was destroyed, blown off the face of the earth, along with every one of its people because, after all, the Jews in Palestine are, by definition, Zionists, even the kids.” Rosenberg should take a step back and re-evaluate. He owes Abunimah and his readership an apology.
John Kerry’s case for military action against Syria would have paved the way for Russia to unilaterally attack Israel in the wake of Israel’s assault on Gaza in 2008-2009.
Worldwide poll finds Iran least popular country; American-Iranian Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) complains of delegitimization
A newly released poll of 26,000 respondents in 25 countries reveals that Iran is the least popular country in the world. The poll, commissioned by the BBC World Service, found that only 15% considered Iran to have a positive influence in international affairs, while 59% gave it a negative rating.
Fresh from its triumph in exposing the Mohammed al-Dura death hoax, a secret Israeli Government Commission is nearing the completion of an even more comprehensive investigation absolving the IDF of all deaths of civilians in Lebanon in 2006, Gaza in 2008-2009, the Mavi Marmara in 2010, and Gaza in November, 2012.
“Archbishop Desmond Tutu is one of the most evil men in the world. He never condemns China, rarely Zimbabwe or any other county, it’s only Israel,” says Alan Dershowitz. Then why did Tutu call for the world to boycott the Olympics in China in 2008? The record shows clearly that Tutu has criticized Zimbabwe and China repeatedly
I was alerted by Glenn Greenwald’s column yesterday to this extraordinary short piece at Left Foot Forward entitled “So why did Stephen Hawking think it was ok to visit Iran and China?” The author’s accusation of hypocrisy that we have heard so often is nothing new, but the sophistication of the numerous commenters who destroy the “What about X?” argument is very encouraging.
This Thursday, Peter Beinart and Alan Dershowitz will once again square off on the subject of Zionism at CUNY, a debate that promises to cover a spectrum of opinion from A to B. It is unclear exactly what new ground they will cover, having debated at least twice before, but one thing that is for certain is that Dershowitz will use the occasion to unveil newer and better lies. There is no shortage of exposés of his breathtaking dishonesty, and Dershowitz keeps the lies coming fast and furious, so someone has to keep up with the Great Fabricator. Here are three major whoppers from last year’s Martha’s Vineyard debate with Beinart.
In attacking a conference on homonationalism and pinkwashing which makes the mistake of including Israel among 32 countries under scrutiny, Alan Dershowitz unrolls dubious claims regarding Israeli soldiers and rape
A few months ago, Netanyahu’s presentation to the United Nations of a fourth-grader’s drawing dramatizing Iran’s imminent nuclear weapons capability drew gales of laughter. But maybe it was successful after all.
It’s award season, with the recent Golden Globes and Grammy telecasts and lots of buzz about the upcoming Oscars, so it’s no wonder that the Pentagon didn’t want to be left out of the fun. That’s why they’ve come up with a new medal to award for “extraordinary achievement” in the field of drone warfare.
‘NYT’ runs op-ed by Israel lobbyist in human rights garb, saying Palestinians are too corrupt to deserve a state
Robert Bernstein, apostate from Human Rights Watch, started Advancing Human Rights, an Israel lobby organization, and it now has an op-ed in the NYT
People often comment that Dershowitz is a clown who does not deserve the time and effort to discredit him. I could not disagree more. He remains a highly influential public figure on matters pertaining to Israel and Palestine, commanding an audience at the White House and filling lecture halls regularly. Give the devil his due. He has great rhetorical skills, thinks quickly on his feet, and in my opinion can on occasion out-debate far worthier opponents. He remains a rock star of pro-Israel advocacy. His brazen hypocrisy and serial dishonesty should be challenged regularly.
The US used a bogus vaccination program in Pakistan as a cover for seeking DNA samples that might lead to bin Laden. So no wonder 9 UN vaccination workers were killed in Pakistan this week
Is the Nazi analogy appropriate for Israeli conduct? Certainly the apartheid one is. And Vietnam helps too…
Dani Dayan should be taken seriously in his plea for continuation of the status quo in Israel/Palestine.
NY Times ‘confirms’ Hezbollah/Iran connection to Bulgaria attack by quoting unnamed American ‘officials’
The NYT shills for Netanyahu’s claim that Hezbollah perpetrated the Bulgarian terrorist attack
This morning, there was a segment on Democracy Now about the recent recommendation of an Israeli government commission that Israel’s West Bank settlements be deemed legal, deemed an “authoritative document” by Infrastructure Minister Uzi Landau.
Righteous allies! US officials blame Koran-burning protests in Afghanistan on Iranian agents. And Ehud Barak says that Israel won’t tolerate illegal facts on the ground in the West Bank. OMG!
In an ironic and even perverse twist, Meir Kahane, the diehard unapologetic racist criminal, knew what most liberal Zionists are refusing to recognize — “Jewish and democratic state” is an oxymoron.
In his latest Haaretz column, Bradley Burston dares to go where he has never gone before, taking the first tentative steps toward consideration of the one-state solution.