- Horrifying details continue to emerge of massacre in Khuza’a 16
- Hamas mimics Hezbollah tactics, and no one will have stability … 53
- How Israel militarized social media 8
- U.S. casts lonely vote against establishing war crimes inquiry in … 41
- Jews Say: End the War on Gaza — No Aid to … 6
- Gaza massacre is generating ideological crisis in American Zionists 54
- Avishai says we misrepresented his views 36
- Israeli forces shell UN school where displaced Palestinians gathered, killing … 112
- Heathcote Williams: ‘An Old Man and a Young Man in … 0
- CNN headline: “100 people killed today in Israel, Gaza fighting” 0
- Lacking bomb shelters, Israel’s Bedouins advised to ‘protect themselves by … 0
- The other side of history 0
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) 0
- Democrat Eliot Engel appears at pro-Israel rally featuring anti-Muslim activist … 0
- Finally, Israel is alienating the US mainstream media 0
- Netanyahu’s latest ‘cartoon evidence’: racist image identifying Muslims with terror 0
- Massacre in Gaza: At least 60 killed in Shuja’iyeh, over … 363
- The deafening silence around the Hamas proposal for a 10-year … 245
- Finally, Israel is alienating the US mainstream media 237
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) 217
- ‘We are moving from Iron Dome to an iron fist’: … 216
- Israeli strike kills four Palestinian children playing soccer on Gaza … 193
- Israel is in a pickle 138
- Renouncing my Israeli citizenship 127
- RT @ANimer: The fascist used silencer. We didn't hear the shooting we saw the shabab falling, 19 mins ago
- RT @ANimer: I am sorry o couldn't tweet anything.. I was stuck on the front line.. So many got shot, 19 mins ago
- RT @Its_T_time06: The west bank now...people have had enough and have nothing to lose http://t.co/BcIKm77U7p, 20 mins ago
- RT @MaxBlumenthal: While the West Bank & Jerusalem erupt in revolt, Jodi @Rudoren is tweeting out tired hasbara from @JeffreyGoldberg https://t.co/J9Mfwc0UQw …, 22 mins ago
- RT @dancohen3000: CORRECTION: confirmed at Ramallah hospital: 1 dead, 4 critical condition, more than 150 live ammo injuries, 23 mins ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- The deafening silence around the Hamas proposal for a 10-year truce (124)
- Shingo: Hamas must think Israelis are stupid by offering Israel a hudna that it will readily break when its strong...
- seafoid: It’s interesting to read Israel’s attitude before they started the offensive...
- talknic: If UNRWA handed them to Hamas where’s the problem? Hamas is the authority. Hamas is permitted to be...
- Arab reporters come under attack from Israelis (86)
- seafoid: Mr Danny Danon of Likud says of the FAA’s decision to ban incoming American flights...
- Walid: “Is there any word on whether or not HB intends to get involved?” dbroncos, not a word other than...
- Walid: “Walid I thought Dahlan was living in UAE? Did he relocate?” My mistake, Sumud, I have my...
- The fascists wanted to murder us: An eyewitness account of Haifa’s anti-war protest (21)
- Shingo: Where were you when they built the Dimona facility and then lied to the world about its existence. You’re...
- ‘Telegenically Dead’: Israel’s crumbling media war (57)
- seafoid: Lucy Aharish is a Palestinian TV anchor on Israeli TV http://www.haaretz.com/news...
- Naomi Wolf walked out of synagogue when they had nothing to say about Gaza massacre (54)
- The deafening silence around the Hamas proposal for a 10-year truce (124)
Author Archives: Jack Ross
Seventy years ago this Yom Kippur, one of the most prominent and outspoken American rabbis of his generation gave what may have been the most poignant and far-seeing High Holy Day sermons to speak directly to what some authors have called “the Jewish century.” Irving Reichert (1895 – 1968), the rabbi of Temple Emanu-El of San Francisco from 1930 to 1947 and a leading personality of the anti-Zionist American Council for Judaism, prophetically warned that answering the fundamental question posed by Zionism – “what shall be the status of the Jew in the postwar world?” – would indeed have grave consequences for his audience and their children and their children’s children.
American Jewry married an idolatrous form of nationalism in the 1960s. We need a divorce, and Peter Beinart’s romantic vision won’t save the relationship
The Stephen Wise Free Synagogue’s Rabbi Ammiel Hirsch rails against Peter Beinart, and Jack Ross says it represents the “museum quality specimen of the spiritual crisis and degradation that Zionism has wrought.”
Ron Paul represents a challenge to liberal interventionism. The left must search its soul about the roots of that ideology
The other day Adam Horowitz published a dialogue with Daniel Sieradski of Occupy Judaism. This is a response to Sieradski from Jack Ross, author of Rabbi Outcast: Elmer Berger and American Jewish Anti-Zionism. I feel compelled to write to you … Continue reading
What Richard Goldstone published on the Times op-ed page yesterday should not be surprising to either his defenders or detractors. He has never made a secret of being a progressive Zionist, and if he went a step further than the … Continue reading
The tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks has come and gone. But in the commemoration of those attacks, under the radar of the inevitable jingoism and cynical emotional appeals, a more disturbing phenomenon lurks still: the neoconservatives, new to public … Continue reading
Jewish Ideas Daily has run a critical review, by Lawrence Grossman, of Jack Ross’s important new book, Rabbi Outcast. Ross responds: The review itself begins with a very intellectually dishonest premise. In the context of negotiations with Palestinian Arabs at … Continue reading
Walter Russell Mead is the apotheosis of the American establishment in our time, which tends to make his pronouncements of great profundity exercises in extreme silliness. With that noted, he wrote on his blog yesterday, for some strange reason having … Continue reading
Alterman describes a future for Israelis as free citizens of a normal democratic country ‘dystopian.’ And why?
Eric Alterman has an important piece at the Forward stating the liberal Zionist opposition to any talk of a one-state/binational democracy in Israel/Palestine and, from an American platform, reminding Palestinians who live over there that they must accept their historic … Continue reading
Editor: Jack Ross’s new biography of the anti-Zionist rabbi Elmer Berger, Rabbi Outcast, performs two hugely-important tasks: It painstakingly recovers a noble tradition of anti-Zionist thought inside American Jewish life that few of us know anything about, and it situates … Continue reading
The most confusing thing in all the back and forth about Obama’s pronouncements about the Middle East in the last few days is why there is so much talk of the Palestinians trying to declare statehood at the UN in … Continue reading
Why do you care about what Chris Matthews says? Or NPR for that matter? The fact is that the US has no control over events on the ground any more. You and your friends and the neocons should stop pretending … Continue reading
Both Roger Cohen and Peter Beinart have hit home runs as they often do in declaring that the death of Bin Laden means we can finally move on from the “war on terrorism” and Islamofascist conspiracies against our precious bodily … Continue reading
Looking at Libya through the prism of America’s recent wars really misses the point. I certainly want to second Pat Buchanan’s statement that it’s their war, not ours. And as I always insist on his Israel-Palestine policy, while Obama’s posturing … Continue reading
At Postright, Jack Ross has a twilight of the gods post: the events of Cairo signal that the neocons are over, Israel is doomed as a Jewish state, and the Israel lobby is imploding. the unabashed chutzpah award has to … Continue reading
UPDATE: Thomas has announced her retirement. Her comments [telling Israelis to leave Palestine and "go home" to Europe] do not reflect a desire to see Israel/Palestine judenrein, but rather an ominous sense of what a dangerous place Israel has become, … Continue reading
Judge Goldstone’s removal from the board of governors of Hebrew University is quite possibly the greatest in a long history of grave insults to the legacy of Judah Magnes, founder of the Hebrew University. Magnes, who warned of the totalitarian … Continue reading
Re Paul Berman’s 300-page book about Tariq Ramadan. From Richard Hofstadter’s The Paranoid Style in American Politics: It is hard to resist the conclusion that this enemy is on many counts the projection of the self; both the ideal and … Continue reading
On the one hand, J Street has stopped playing their coy game about how Zionist or non-Zionist they are, and now speak openly not merely of "the Jewish people" but even come close to using Commentary’s dark phrase "the Jewish … Continue reading
Those who complain about the composition of Obama’s Middle East team miss the point, which is: Are they even relevant to what’s going on any more. Here’s an item in which Jeremy Ben-Ami talks shamelessly about "the national home of … Continue reading
There is much to commend in Scott McConnell’s criticism of the romantic view of the anti-apartheid struggle, but he ultimately falls into the same trap as a lot of progressives, of wanting a two-state solution more than the Israelis want … Continue reading
Jack Ross was disturbed by this piece on Tariq Ramadan, the Swiss-born Muslim intellectual, that appeared in the Forward, which again exhibits its sympathy to the neocon worldview– categorizing Tariq Ramadan as an "Islamofascist" without demurral. Ross: The Forward runs … Continue reading
Much has been made of the fact that Rabbi Yoffie was booed at J Street when he dissed the Goldstone report. One of the booers was Medea Benjamin of Code Pink. And Jack Ross adds further info. As the perpetual … Continue reading