- ‘Israel is the home of all Jews,’ declares a right-wing … 13
- Mark Halperin excommunicates Rand Paul, over Israel 42
- Long ago, Bill Buckley and Woody Allen agreed on occupation 8
- ‘NYT’ abided by Israeli gag order even as ‘EI’ scooped … 27
- Reports of anti-Semitism in Ukraine and Hungary 39
- The Book of Exodus and the Book of Palestine 10
- Palestinian youth say the talks with Israel are futile 50
- Stephen Walt: publishing ‘Israel lobby’ ended any thought of serving … 68
- Fear of Arab-Americans in the public square 0
- Handling holy hypocrisy at holiday season 0
- Palestinian writers bring Gaza’s hardships to American audience 0
- On Easter week, Shaath says millions of Palestinians are denied … 0
- Let God’s people go — and return, too 0
- Roger Ailes demands NY village official take down ‘Facebook’ post. … 0
- Palestinians can have an embassy in Jerusalem, but God forbid … 0
- Alterman says BDS is helping Netanyahu 0
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link … 185
- Simon Schama’s Israel whitewash 158
- Alterman says BDS is helping Netanyahu 111
- 66 years ago today 42 members of my family were … 107
- Amid ‘climate of fear’ at Vassar, president comes out against … 104
- Alleged K.C. killer: ‘If Jews can have a state of … 100
- 6 DC heavyweights tell Kerry, Netanyahu in West Bank is … 99
- The Jewish community must not embrace Ayaan Hirsi Ali 97
- Right-wing Israeli official says Israel is the home of all Jews & more news from Mondoweiss - http://t.co/IIJZkS5REa, 7 mins ago
- RT @Ali_Gharib: ‘Israel is the home of all Jews,’ declares a right-wing official http://t.co/rPj17uJLTM // I thought New York was your home, @EliClifton?, 16 hours ago
- Long ago, Bill Buckley and Woody Allen agreed on occupation http://t.co/iJJGCcrHNp, 19 hours ago
- ‘Israel is the home of all Jews,’ declares a right-wing official http://t.co/yMgZDiLFRW, 19 hours ago
- Reports of anti-Semitism in Ukraine and Hungary http://t.co/B8f815HzG0, 20 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Mark Halperin excommunicates Rand Paul, over Israel (42)
- seafoid: There is little consistency of opinion between the plutocrats who fund the politicians and the masses who...
- Palestinian youth say the talks with Israel are futile (50)
- Resurrecting Passover? (34)
- Reports of anti-Semitism in Ukraine and Hungary (39)
- ‘NYT’ abided by Israeli gag order even as ‘EI’ scooped it repeatedly (27)
- Long ago, Bill Buckley and Woody Allen agreed on occupation (8)
- Talkback: I know it’s offtopic here, but I just want to let you know, that Mariam Barghouti tweeted that she...
- Mark Halperin excommunicates Rand Paul, over Israel (42)
Author Archives: Jeff Halper
Finally the fog of the two-state solution is lifted and we see reality: naked, raw occupation and apartheid with no pretense of two equal “sides” or genuine negotiations. Now where do we go from here? J Street can help by engaging liberal Jews in imagining the democratic future, Jeff Halper implores it.
The struggle for a just peace in Palestine/Israel, we find ourselves at a precarious crossroads. It is clear that the two-state solution is dead and gone, the victim of deliberate Israeli policies of settlement, territorial confiscation and Israel’s refusal to relinquish control over Palestinians’ lives. Yet the Palestinians, whose lead we must follow, have only just begun formulating alternatives, mainly around the notion of a single democratic state. Finding ourselves locked in a political struggle with no end-game for which to advocate is dangerous and self-defeating; it only invites other forces to step into the breach and impose their own agendas. This post is part of “What Comes Next?: A forum on the end of the two-state paradigm.”
Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat is behind the latest stratagem to judaize Jerusalem. Israel has long sought to maintain a 72 percent Jewish majority in the city. The latest effort to hold the line means demolishing thousands of Palestinian homes and building Jewish settlements and “national parks” in Palestinian areas, forcing Palestinians to abandon the city
Kerry’s statecraft has failed. The Israeli government is simply incapable of agreeing to the creation of a viable Palestinian state, even if the Israeli people support one. But even European governments are incapable of setting aside the failed two-state paradigm. This gives great power to the international grass-roots movement for justice, and the BDS campaign. We the people must be the ones to formulate the outlines of just solutions to conflicts. Governments will not do that. We must keep them honest.
Jeff Halper remembers Stéphane Hessel (1917-2013).
Jeff Halper writes, “The people who rose up in the first Intifada began the task of liberation; it is our responsibility to join with our Palestinian colleagues to formulate the most effective strategies possible to turn their resistance into genuine liberation.” This post is part of the series “Roots of Resistance: 25 year retrospective on the first intifada.”
There is no possibility of creating a viable Palestinian state in the West Bank and Gaza. The only options are apartheid, warehousing of Palestinians, or a just one-state solution. Let us begin to lay out our vision for a just one-state future, Jeff Halper says
Jeff Halper visits the Natche family home in Beit Hanina, East Jerusalem, which is under threat of eviction by vigilante settlers led by Arieh King and backed by the Israel Land Fund.
Ever aware that the struggle for liberation must be led by Palestinians, our collective task at the moment, in my view, is to bring about the collapse of the present situation in Palestine in order to exploit its fundamental unsustainabilty.
The demonstrations currently roiling Israel constitute a grassroots challenge to Israel’s neo-liberal regime. Beginning as an uprising of the middle classes – especially young people who have trouble finding affordable housing – it has spread to the working class, the … Continue reading
Last Friday’s vote in the UN in which the US refused to follow the other 14 members of the Security Council in condemning Israel’s ongoing settlement project – including, it should be noted, such traditionally pro-Israel stalwarts as Britain, France … Continue reading
Dear Pete, All the best from your friends in Israel/Palestine. In that spirit, I was surprised to hear of your planned participation in With Earth and Each Other: A Virtual Rally for a Better Middle East. While at first blush … Continue reading