- Arab reporters come under attack from Israelis 2
- ‘Telegenic Dead’: Israel’s crumbling media war 0
- US Jews occupy Israeli army support office in NY in … 2
- Naomi Wolf walked out of synagogue when they had nothing … 23
- Burning children 6
- Mr. Modi– do not court apartheid Israel in my name 3
- The deafening silence around the Hamas proposal for a 10-year … 45
- ‘We have nothing left to lose. I would rather die … 64
- Video: Outraged constituents confront CT Senator Chris Murphy over support … 0
- Arrests without charge of American beating victim’s relatives in Jerusalem … 0
- Nicholas Kristof on how to end the Israel/Palestine conflict 0
- On the defensive, Barney Frank accuses Clemons and Kornacki of … 0
- Mr. Obama, spend one night with us in Shifa hospital, … 0
- The heart of the problem with Israel: The mass expulsion … 0
- Gaza City resident Amal Sarsour: ‘There is no place to … 0
- Israel warns media they are at risk of ‘injury or … 0
- Massacre in Gaza: At least 60 killed in Shuja’iyeh, over … 362
- ‘We are moving from Iron Dome to an iron fist’: … 216
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) 214
- Finally, Israel is alienating the US mainstream media 205
- Israeli strike kills four Palestinian children playing soccer on Gaza … 193
- Understanding Hamas 160
- Israel is in a pickle 138
- The trojan horse of liberal Zionism 105
- Arab reporters come under attack from Israelis: BBC reporter accosted on air & Al Jazeera offices under fire in Gaza http://t.co/40YL44hZXQ, 14 mins ago
- 'Telegenic Dead': Israel’s crumbling media war http://t.co/ASiCPEmhTi #GazaUnderAttack @ProfessorKumar http://t.co/OlULOhnau9, 22 mins ago
- RT @4noura: Israeli forces fire live bullets @ youth in Hebron,Jerusalem,& Nablus injuring dozens. This is not about Hamas or #Gaza,its about #Palestine, 30 mins ago
- RT @alexbkane: At least 8 protesters arrested by NYPD after occupying Friends of the IDF office, 48 mins ago
- US Jews occupy Israeli army support office in NY in civil disobedience action http://t.co/ZpKNRiizU6, 1 hour ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Israeli strike kills four Palestinian children playing soccer on Gaza beach (120)
- Kay24: Yes seafoid, no investigations needed for that either. Strange when their criminals do something evil, there...
- Kay24: BBC is breaking News reporting that Israel has announced a comprehensive cease fire from tomorrow (Friday)...
- Inanna: Thanks for the link Denis. I’ll provide a quick translation but nothing will really translate the...
- The trojan horse of liberal Zionism (90)
- MHughes976: Just to revert to the question of the Trojan Horse. The Troy in question might be left-wing opinion in...
- seafoid: Beinart on why liberal Zionsim is no different to the regular version http://www.haaretz.com/opin...
- Mich Levy: The metaphor of the Trojan horse does not imply that there is a Zionist HQ that deploys the Zionist left;...
- Hamas has agreed to a ceasefire, says senior Palestinian official (Updated) (50)
- Walid: More elaboration by Jonathan Cook on the “Egyptian” cease-fire scam involving strings pulling by...
- Following missile attack last Saturday, al-Wafa Hospital receives warnings of new round of bombings (14)
- Joe Catron: “Do you think that missile attacks on Israeli cities and towns are war crimes?” As far as I...
- Report: Hamas offers Israel 10 conditions for a 10 year truce (79)
- Israeli strike kills four Palestinian children playing soccer on Gaza beach (120)
Author Archives: Jerome Slater
Nicholas Kristof’s well-meaning column on how to resolve the Israel-Palestine conflict is so ill-informed or naïve about the realities there as to border on absurdity. He describes the conflict as a cycle of violence, ignoring the overwhelming force on one side
Whenever Shimon Peres had power, he did nothing for peace, Jerome Slater says; but NYT embraces him as peace advocate. “What you wrote is either knowingly false or deeply ignorant,” he wrote to the Times.
Jerome Slater reviews Simon Schama’s PBS documentary “The Story of the Jews,” and says Schama’s emotionalism, strong but not necessarily persuasive beliefs, and tendency to oversimplify or, worse, ignore inconvenient facts, creates serious problem when he takes on Zionism, the establishment of Israel, and the continuing Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Arguing that John Judis’s assessment of Truman and the Israel lobby is an important historical work, Jerome Slater takes on Bernard Wasserstein’s negative review in The National Interest
Ari Shavit is in cloud-cuckoo land in many of his historical assertions about the Arab and Islamic world’s response to Israel, which he treats as immutable, existential enmity, Jerome Slater writes
Jerry Slater argues that Max Blumenthal could have won more converts to a new understanding of Israel if he had adopted a less confrontational tone in his book “Goliath”
Ari Shavit says that Obama should demand a complete end of Iran’s nuclear enrichment just as he demanded a complete freeze of Israel’s settlements. Is this a joke? Who can take this writer seriously, Jerome Slater and +972′s False Prophet ask
Ian Lustick is the man of the hour for his assertion that the partition paradigm is over in Israel and Palestine. Jerome Slater says it is a recipe for violence
If the opposite of isolationist is internationalist, then internationalist must mean going to war with everyone, per John Kerry, says Jerome Slater
Jerry Slater writes: throughout most of its history Israel has been the beneficiary of double standards, as most Westerners ignored Israel’s long history of dispossession, occupation, and repression of the Palestinians–whether because of Holocaust guilt, genuine admiration of Israel and even of the Jewish people, domestic political factors, or foreign policy considerations.
‘Diaspora Jews want to be Israel’s partners, not donors,’ says an anti-occupation rabbi, but Netanyahu doesn’t care
Jerome Slater argues that the claim in the Gatekeepers that Israel is behaving like Nazi Germany in occupied countries is an exaggeration
Israel’s choice to inflict violence on civilians and ignore political offers violates ‘just war morality’
An important paper in the journal International Security argues that Israel has repeatedly ignored Hamas offers to negotiate, making its wars on Gaza violations of just war morality– because it had alternatives to war
Mearsheimer writes, The face of Israel is undergoing a fundamental transformation with the steady drift to the right, the growing racism, and the growing numbers of ultra-orthodox. That, coupled with apartheid, will make it hard for Israel to sell itself as a “Western society,” as it has done so well in the past.
This post appeared lately on Jerome Slater’s site. In the last few days I have had an interesting email exchange with Jodi Rudoren of the New York Times, concerning in the first instance her August 17th profile of Dani Dayan, … Continue reading
Romney’s gaffe in Jerusalem ought to be an election-changing moment
Continuing the debate over whether Ron Paul’s foreign policy ideas are simpleminded
Ron Paul’s antiwar stance will only force Romney and Obama further right
A liberal Zionist reflects on a day’s distressing headlines in the Israeli press
Avner Cohen is an Israeli political scientist, currently at the Monterey Institute of International Affairs. He is considered to be the world’s foremost expert on the Israeli nuclear program. His work is so accurate and authoritative, in fact, that he … Continue reading
As disingenuous and pernicious as was Richard Goldstone’s previous Washington Post oped, in which he essentially retracted the Goldstone Report’s fully-substantiated finding that Israel committed war crimes in its attack on Gaza at the end of 2008, Tuesday’s NY Times … Continue reading
While uneasy about the asymmetry of the Shalit deal between Israel and Hamas–a thousand Palestinian prisoners ( invariably described in Israel as “terrorists”) for one Israeli–the Israeli and the American Jewish media are also full of hymns of self-praise for … Continue reading
After a promising beginning, the Obama administration’s policies on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict have reverted to the US norm—essentially unconditional support for Israel’s follies. In particular, Obama’s UN speech on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict was dreadful. But while outrage is fully justified, … Continue reading
Palmer report’s absurd contention that Israel is not punishing Gaza’s civilian population renders it useless
In August 2010 the UN Secretary General established a “Panel of Inquiry” to investigate Israel’s May 31 attack on the international flotilla that sought to defy the Israeli blockade of Gaza to bring supplies—and moral support—to the Gazan people. Israeli … Continue reading
It is perfectly correct to observe that any celebration of the apparent victory of the Libyan rebels–a clear consequence of the major military assistance by NATO and the U.S–is, at best, premature. If the outcome of the “victories” in Afghanistan … Continue reading