- The deafening silence around the Hamas proposal for a 10-year … 84
- Watch: 9 Jewish activists arrested after occupying Friends of the … 8
- You are not Alone: To Palestinians on July 20, 2014 9
- Mr. Modi– do not court apartheid Israel in my name 8
- Arab reporters come under attack from Israelis 75
- ‘Telegenically Dead’: Israel’s crumbling media war 40
- US Jews occupy Israeli army support office in NY in … 22
- Gaza onslaught is p.r. problem for Israel’s ‘moral authority’ — … 22
- Video: Outraged constituents confront CT Senator Chris Murphy over support … 0
- Arrests without charge of American beating victim’s relatives in Jerusalem … 0
- Nicholas Kristof on how to end the Israel/Palestine conflict 0
- On the defensive, Barney Frank accuses Clemons and Kornacki of … 0
- Mr. Obama, spend one night with us in Shifa hospital, … 0
- The heart of the problem with Israel: The mass expulsion … 0
- Gaza City resident Amal Sarsour: ‘There is no place to … 0
- Israel warns media they are at risk of ‘injury or … 0
- Massacre in Gaza: At least 60 killed in Shuja’iyeh, over … 363
- Finally, Israel is alienating the US mainstream media 229
- ‘We are moving from Iron Dome to an iron fist’: … 216
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) 214
- Israeli strike kills four Palestinian children playing soccer on Gaza … 193
- Understanding Hamas 160
- Israel is in a pickle 138
- The trojan horse of liberal Zionism 105
- RT @jdakwar: Draft Human Rights Council resolution on #Gaza calls for the establishment of Goldstone-like commission of inquiry. http://t.co/9a13HD8IWQ, 13 mins ago
- RT @CoreyRobin: .@alexbkane has the report on that occupation of the Friends of the IDF office, and arrests by the NYPD, with video. http://t.co/CF6246miAf, 13 mins ago
- In a hospital. At the beach. Hamas, Israel tells us, is hiding among civilians | Richard Seymour http://t.co/TK05M4rTjV via @guardian, 25 mins ago
- RT @deep_beige: If you've got a killer joke always keep it circulating or it may get lost amid the tweets about victims of airstrikes http://t.co/UoslWYsild, 1 hour ago
- RT @YousefMunayyer: FAA decision forcing change in Israeli narrative. Yesterday it was "we are under siege" today its "hey come back its totally safe here", 1 hour ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- US Jews occupy Israeli army support office in NY in civil disobedience action (22)
- Mooser: “It is people like these who keep this anti-Israeli guy (me) from being anti-Semitic.” I suggest...
- ‘Telegenically Dead’: Israel’s crumbling media war (40)
- Bumblebye: http://www.channel4.com/news/ Todays top stories are all from the region: Interview with Gen Yaakov...
- ckg: I should have added Said Arikat’s reply to Ms. Harf: QUESTION: Okay. That’s why We need more...
- Donald: “It’s because there just aren’t enough people to kill.” More to the point, to my mind at least,...
- Arab reporters come under attack from Israelis (75)
- Gaza onslaught is p.r. problem for Israel’s ‘moral authority’ — Albright (22)
- Sycamores: Stephan M. Walt piece http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ stephen-m-walt/aipac-americ...
- Naomi Wolf walked out of synagogue when they had nothing to say about Gaza massacre (42)
- tokyobk: “Yeah, Like Australia and the US? Nothing but unclaimed land and aborigine’s? Hardly.” Are you...
- Mooser: Yeah, Like Australia and the US? Nothing but unclaimed land and aborigine’s? Hardly. The idea that...
- Mooser: “Israel does indeed have the right to live in security and peace” Okay, which borders do they...
- US Jews occupy Israeli army support office in NY in civil disobedience action (22)
Author Archives: Shmuel Sermoneta-Gertel
The boycott-divestment, sanctions movement (BDS) is unlikely to hurt the Israeli economy or the western governments’ support for Israel in the near future. Where it will have a huge impact, though, is on the cultural, intellectual and financial elite in Israel who have purveyed the country’s image abroad and are highly sensitive to world opinion. At first, the vast majority of this group rejected BDS, and called it anti-Semitic. With time however, BDS will become harder and harder for this group to dismiss with the kind of facile arguments offered by Israeli diplomacy and advocacy.
‘A vision seen in a dream’: A leading religious Zionist’s 1956 call for the Palestinian refugees to return
Yehoshua Radler-Feldman (1880-1957), who wrote under the pen name R. Binyamin, was a leading figure in religious Zionism and a self-described “Herzlian Zionist”. The following essay by Radler-Feldman appeared in the Ihud Association’s Ner journal, in March, 1956.
There is today not even the shadow of a possibility of reaching a “reasonable solution” in the Israel-Palestine conflict. So what should people who support human rights and democracy do?
Israel turns its heroes into victims and transforms Jewish history in Palestine into one long Arab-slugfest
Peter Beinart’s recent op-ed is an anachronistic apologia constructed around an artificial golden mean. Beinart seems to have invented Meretz USA, American Friends of Peace Now and the New Israel Fund. He has also discovered the green line and Yitzhak … Continue reading
Our first day in Palestinian Palestine. Our friend Sameer (not his real name) knows Jericho well, and is only slightly nervous as he explains to the policeman at the only Palestinian checkpoint in the West Bank that we are guests … Continue reading
Enjoying the pleasures of Palestine, on 47th anniversary of Fatah’s founding
A couple of weeks ago, Jerry Slater posed some questions about a comment I had made on a previous thread. I regret that I was unable to answer immediately, as I had intended, but better late than never. First of all, … Continue reading
Recent events in Egypt have already provided Israelis with a number of invaluable lessons. The first was right there in the Bible the whole time (Prov 27:24 – nice play on words in Hebrew, by the way: ‘h[o]sn[i] is not … Continue reading
In one of his posts from the Holy Land, Phil referred to an obnoxious teenager on a bus as an “ars” (Israeli slang for unsavoury young man, inevitably Mizrahi – from the Arabic word for pimp), and Avigdor “Yvette” Lieberman … Continue reading
Palestinian Israelis are to have ‘Jewish’ nationality (as Jews once had to be public Christians in Europe)
Today the Israeli government approved a proposal by Justice Minister Yaakov Neeman to change the declaration of loyalty required of all non-Jews applying for Israeli citizenship (excluding those entitled to citizenship according to the Law of Return). Neeman’s proposal seeks … Continue reading
A question often raised on this blog is “What is Jewish identity?” Religious commitment, especially of the Orthodox variety, is easy to understand, but what is a Jewish atheist? Some commenters here have argued that there is really little more … Continue reading
I spent the past weekend on a Jewish settlement in the West Bank, attending my nephew’s post-wedding festivities. The last time I was in the vicinity of this particular settlement was about ten years ago, when I went – together … Continue reading
Last night I went to hear Omar Barghouti at an event titled “Palestine today. Nonviolent resistance to the Israeli occupation: academic and cultural boycott,” organised by the Roman network for solidarity with the Palestinian people. There were about 80 people … Continue reading
My nephew beeped me on ICQ last night. He’s in the eleventh grade at a Jerusalem high school, which means he will be going on a school trip to Poland. He wanted to hear family stories from the Holocaust and … Continue reading
Central to Israel’s defence of its actions in Gaza last year is the claim that international humanitarian law (IHR) is inadequate and must be modified to accommodate the “asymmetrical” nature of modern warfare. Rather than arguing that greater protection should … Continue reading
In this weekend’s Haaretz, there is an interview, by Yotam Feldman, with Prof. Yehouda Shenhav, linked to the upcoming publication of Shenhav’s book “In the Trap of the Green Line” (Hebrew), in which he frames the debate within Israel not … Continue reading
The following is a response to the profile of Jesse Fox that we posted yesterday. We will be posting interviews all week with Jewish Israelis discussing their connection to the idea of Zionism in the hope of sparking a conversation … Continue reading