- Singing sensation Mohammad Assaf has given us a ‘national umbrella’ … 6
- State officials in California sign letter denouncing BDS movement on … 7
- After Kerry visit, Israeli and Palestinian leaders quietly re-open economic … 10
- Snowden shows up Obama on leadership 5
- Taking on Bill Clinton and the ‘bigshots’, Chris Matthews says … 9
- Judge who acquitted war criminals at Hague had ‘close and … 4
- Latest DC mantra: The two-state solution is dead, long live … 39
- ‘I wanted to make a film [on] the conflict between … 6
- ‘Girls on Fire’ tell Alicia Keys — Don’t play Apartheid … 197
- The horror: ‘Breaking the Silence’ releases women’s frightful testimonies of … 134
- Meet the Israeli-linked firm that sold Big Brother machines to … 95
- An Israeli veteran comes forward to decry ‘how shitty we … 93
- House committee votes to give Israel another 1/2 billion in … 93
- Palestinian activist Abir Kopty: Oslo should go, the peace process … 87
- World Bank, the PA and Israel work together to confiscate … 83
- Looking for ‘a new devil,’ Israeli leaders and supporters left … 79
- US and Israel are accused of manipulating Hague to acquit … 133
- The kids are back, and it’s not alright 132
- The horror: ‘Breaking the Silence’ releases women’s frightful testimonies of … 126
- Approaching 60, Norman Finkelstein reflects 116
- Palestinian activist Abir Kopty: Oslo should go, the peace process … 102
- The MSM tries to distinguish between Manning and Snowden. Don’t … 86
- I’ve got Mohammed Assaf fever 72
- Weiner should be ‘hounded’ for his support for apartheid 50
- Israel & the West tries to neutralize Palestinian cause by transforming liberation struggle into humanitarian project http://t.co/DH4pnUTEDY, 54 mins ago
- ‘No consequences… ad finitum’ — Reporters reject State Dep’t explanation of US policy on settlements http://t.co/RuwyEzmToV, 1 hour ago
- Sixteen-year-old Ali Shamlawi faces 25 counts of attempted murder for alleged stone throwing http://t.co/VlfFHKwpPA, 1 hour ago
- Singing sensation Mohammad Assaf has given us a ‘national umbrella’ — writes Palestinian political prisoner http://t.co/PbmTDUQkBU, 1 hour ago
- State officials in California sign letter denouncing BDS movement on college campuses http://t.co/4gXx67TEQC, 1 hour ago
click link to see last 100 comments
- Singing sensation Mohammad Assaf has given us a ‘national umbrella’ — writes Palestinian political prisoner (6)
- After Kerry visit, Israeli and Palestinian leaders quietly re-open economic negotiations (10)
- Inanna: The reason Abbas is supported by Israel and the west and this fake elite put into power is to sell-out the...
- Inanna: The problems are minimal If it wasn’t so tragic and deluded I would laugh. But let me provide a...
- Inanna: Yep. I’m starting to think the PA is fast becoming the equivalent of the South Lebanese puppets. And...
- Looking for ‘a new devil,’ Israeli leaders and supporters left scrambling after election of moderate Rouhani (42)
- ToivoS: I would like to believe your speculations here turn out to be correct. For them to come to fruition it would...
- Latest DC mantra: The two-state solution is dead, long live the two-state solution! (39)
- mondonut: Dutch says: As if #1 could be a condition for #2. Besides, a ‘Jewish state’ is nothing....
- Taking on Bill Clinton and the ‘bigshots’, Chris Matthews says American people are opposed to Syrian intervention (9)
- ToivoS: Clinton pays a lot of attention to polls. He was quite aware that his numbers were in serious trouble over...
- When a ‘stockpile of homemade bombs’ is ho-hum and ha-ha (13)
- DICKERSON3870: RE: “@Annie, you live in a country where citizens are entitled by law to have weapons stashed...
Our WritersMore Writers
Category Archives: Settlers/Colonists
Orit Struk and Moshe Feiglin are the Knesset’s newest settler ministers, elected in January. They are bent on annexing most of the West Bank and rebuilding the Jewish temple on the site of the Al Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem
Following UN settlement report, the path forward for Palestinian leadership is clear — take Israel to the International Criminal Court
More than anything else the Palestinian leadership could do, seeking membership in the International Criminal Court and preparing to bring a complaint against Israel for its settlements has the potential for dramatically altering the political landscape in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. A victory at the International Criminal Court would isolate Israel, require the West to acknowledge the force of its own laws, re-establish the importance of universal values and, most hopefully, begin to re-set some of the dysfunctional asymmetry of power between Israel and the Palestinians.
UN fact-finding mission: Israeli settlements violate intl law; Israel must ‘immediately initiate a process of withdrawal’; Governments and companies must ‘[terminate] their business interests in the settlements’
A U.N. fact-finding mission into “the implications of the Israeli settlements on the civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of the Palestinian people throughout the Occupied Palestinian Territory” has issued a blockbuster report on the Israeli settlement project warning of “creeping annexation” of the occupied territories and making the closest call yet from the U.N. for sanctioning Israel over its violation of Palestinian human rights and international law.
The liberal Zionist wing of the American Jewish community are deluding themselves about the results of the Israeli elections. Both J Street and Americans for Peace Now are hailing the outcome of the elections as a decisive move towards the “peace process.” The reality is completely different. The Israeli government will remain committed to the status quo of apartheid. Above, Tzipi Livni of the Hatnuah party (right) speaks with Labor Party leader Shelly Yacimovich.
By establishing Bab al-Shams, activists visibly demonstrated the apartheid nature of Israel’s rule in the occupied territories. Following Saturday’s Israeli raid on the village, organizer Mohammed Khatib said, “In establishing Bab al-Shams, we declare that we have had enough of demanding our rights from the occupier — from now on we shall seize them ourselves.” That, of course, is Benjamin Netanyahu’s great fear.
This morning in the darkness, hundreds of Israeli special forces descended on the protest encampment of Bab al-Shams in the E1 area of the West Bank and detained 150 villagers in what Israel is declaring a ‘closed military zone’ — a bureaucratic designation used to force Palestinians from land
Plans to build in the E1 corridor in Jerusalem have been put on hold for now. The international constraints on building there were too great. But while E1 won’t be built in for now, a building approval binge has taken place in other areas in Jerusalem.
It’s not just in the occupied territories — Palestinians fear efforts to ‘Judaize’ Israeli city of Lod
Land, property theft & destruction / Ethnic cleansing / Restriction of movement Lod’s Arab residents fear influx of Jewish settlers will drive them out Haaretz 7 Jan by Gideon Levy & Alex Levac — Many Arab residents of this mixed … Continue reading
Palestinian owners barred from Jordan Valley land while Israeli farmers profit Haaretz 3 Jan — Thai workers from the Israeli settlements are allowed across the border fence into the area, while the Palestinians are not; IDF spokesman also refuses to … Continue reading
Once living comfortably in Gaza outposts former Gush Katif settlers are now longer the apple of the government’s eye and will begin paying rent on their trailers after seven and a half years of government subsidies.
U.S. mainstream media remains stuck in the ossified discourse of a two-state solution. Israeli settlements have killed off that dream, but the Washington Post and New York Times continue to promote the fiction that a Palestinian state is possible.
Joseph Dana recently wrote in the National: “the debate about the two-state solution has become an important diversion from discussing the true nature of Israeli colonialism.” This trend has been shared from right wingers to liberal Zionists: Keep talking about the need for the two state solution, so that no one talks about the policies that have made it impossible.
Ayoub Shamasneh appeals for international solidarity as his family faces eviction from the home they have lived in since 1964. He writes: “Now more than ever we are aware of the double standard of the Israeli law that does not lend Palestinian refugees or their children a claim to property they owned before 1948, yet allows children of Jewish Israelis to sue and evict Palestinian families from homes they have lived in for decades.”
Araqib village razed for the 45th time The Israeli authorities razed the Araqib village in the Negev desert for the 45th time running claiming that the houses were built without permit. link to www.palestine-info.co.uk Land Theft & Destruction / Ethnic … Continue reading
Applying an anti-apartheid framework to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict presents the danger of decentering Palestinian voices from the Palestinian liberation narrative by focusing on the territory of Palestine at the expense of the geography of Palestinians.
Israel grows jittery of new Palestinian uprising JERUSALEM (AP) — The rising confidence and bellicosity of Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip, combined with rapidly deteriorating relations with Israel’s would-be peace partner in the West Bank, are raising jitters in … Continue reading
500 Israeli soldiers ransack homes in Burqa Around 500 Israeli soldiers invaded the village of Burqa, north-west of Nablus, in the middle of the night, ransacking homes and causing damages amounting to thousands of euros. Soldiers arrived in over 30 … Continue reading
Discourse from within the Israeli government to formalize Greater Israel may indicate that Israel is finally planning to formally annex the West Bank.
Saree Makdisi joins the two state post mortem. In tomorrow’s International Herald Tribune, Makdisi says Netanyahu’s decision to build in the E1 area not only kills the two-state solution, but also seals the fate of an exclusively Jewish state.
Israeli settlement binge continues — 1,700 more illegal units expedited & settlers take over apts in East Jerusalem
Settlements / Land Theft & Destruction / Ethnic Cleansing / Apartheid & Occupation Israel expedites plan for 1,700 housing units in East Jerusalem Haaretz 4 Dec — Israel is continuing to take retaliatory measures in wake of the United Nations … Continue reading
Israel demonstrates sovereignty over occupied territories by stamping passports of West Bank visitors ‘Judea and Samaria only’
Settlements / Land Theft & Destruction / Ethnic Cleansing / Restriction of Movement / Apartheid & Occupation Effective annexation: Israel now stamping passports of West Bank visitors “Judea and Samaria only”, Ali Abunimah The latest change is further proof that … Continue reading
Two Israeli Policemen Face Charges Of Abusing A Kidney Patient Israeli paper, Yedioth Aharonoth, reported that two Israeli Policemen are facing charges after they abused and humiliated a Palestinian kidney patient, including hitting him with their rifles, at a military … Continue reading
Israel responds to UN vote by approving 3,000 new settlement units and plans to build in strategic West Bank corridor
The Netanyahu government hasn’t wasted any time issuing its response to yesterday’s vote at the UN. Today, Israel announced 3,000 new illegal housing units in the occupied territories. Plans include building in the “E1 corridor” to connect the Ma’ale Adumim settlement with Jerusalem. This would effectively sever hopes of a contiguous Palestinian state.
Palestine: Oppression Will not Work Anyone who knows a little bit of history realizes that when there is situation where a people has refused to surrender and abandon its rights, oppressing it will not work. The only ones who may … Continue reading
Three Injured By Israeli Fire In Khan Younis Palestinian medical sources reported that three Palestinians have been injured, on Sunday evening, after Israeli soldiers, stationed across the border, opened fire at them in Al-Faraheen area, east of Khan Younis, in … Continue reading