- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel 3
- American citizen, translator and student—Mariam Barghouti arrested and detained in … 0
- NY Times profile of Gazan long distance runner reveals reality … 0
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link … 22
- Let God’s people go — and return, too 0
- On Easter week, Shaath says millions of Palestinians are denied … 5
- Palestinian writers bring Gaza’s hardships to American audience 0
- Fear of Arab-Americans in the public square 0
- Two desperate anti-Semitism charges, from Foxman and Boteach 0
- To reach the ‘moveable middle’ in Jewish life, you must … 0
- Amid ‘climate of fear’ at Vassar, president comes out against … 0
- About that special relationship… 0
- Why are two Republican congressmen doing a walkabout on the … 0
- A prayer for Passover 0
- Israel to annex 1,000 dunam of Palestinian land; Peace Now … 0
- The Jewish community must not embrace Ayaan Hirsi Ali 0
- Simon Schama’s Israel whitewash 158
- ‘Poof’ — Kerry blames Israel for breakdown of talks (Updated) 144
- 66 years ago today 42 members of my family were … 107
- Alterman says BDS is helping Netanyahu 105
- Amid ‘climate of fear’ at Vassar, president comes out against … 103
- Alleged K.C. killer: ‘If Jews can have a state of … 100
- 6 DC heavyweights tell Kerry, Netanyahu in West Bank is … 99
- The Jewish community must not embrace Ayaan Hirsi Ali 96
- RT @HughNaylor: Tom Friedman's essentially sounding the death knell of the two-state solution http://t.co/6Xq0876ZQ5, 30 mins ago
- .@tomfriedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel http://t.co/gilFN64Zcf, 35 mins ago
- Mainstream fear of BDS reflects fear of Arab-Americans daring to participate in US public life http://t.co/mnlw8YOcuP http://t.co/Q20RMi5xIn, 57 mins ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel (3)
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link Max Blumenthal to KC shooter suspect (22)
- On Easter week, Shaath says millions of Palestinians are denied access to Jerusalem (5)
- NY Times profile of Gazan long distance runner reveals reality of occupation (3)
- pabelmont: I agree: the NYT is in “say no evil” mode about AIPAC’s chosen people. A single mad...
- To reach the ‘moveable middle’ in Jewish life, you must be inside the tent (72)
Tag Archives: Scarlett Johansson
Why doesn’t Netanyahu doesn’t break from his right wing pack and accept Mahmoud Abbas’s offer for an American-led NATO occupation of Palestine? He would take almost all of Palestine while leaving a cheap and subservient labor pool of millions of Palestinians for Israeli and Palestinian kingpins. Call it the SodaStream solution.
Rafi Gozlan, the chief economist at Leader Capital Markets, one of Israel’s top investment banks, is speculating that the threat of boycott and sanctions against Israel, as well as the controversy surrounding Scarlett Johansson’s global ambassadorship for SodaStream, could have attributed to the weakening of the shekel.
You don’t think Israel is scared about the boycott movement? It landed on John Kerry for even mentioning the word, and now SodaStream stock fell 3 percent, over fears of boycott, per Bloomberg’s analyst
Whatever its political implications, SodaStream’s ad for the Super Bowl didn’t land well among viewers and mavens. It’s getting panned.
Monday morning quarterbacking with Scarlett Johansson: the rightwing Israel Project gives her a tattoo in adoration
Israel lobby group The Israel Project circulates Thank Scarlett Johansson picture showing her sucking on a straw from a seltzer bottle Netanyahu and Abbas are also sucking from
Scarlett Johansson was once “fiercely anti-neocon,” Roger Waters says on Facebook. So why is she lending her support to a colonial project?
Today, Scarlett Johansson’s commercial for SodaSteam will debut during the Super Bowl. Katie Miranda presents a more truthful version of the settlement-based fizzy water maker that should appear in primetime.
‘FT’ blast on settlements will strike fear at Hasbara Central (if not among liberal Zionists and ‘glitzy blondes’)
Scarlett Johansson is the greatest gift critics of Israel could want, down to her stilted performance in an ad for a settlement product, says the Financial Times, which blasts the settlements as illegal and defends a boycott of goods from them. Wish the State Department and liberal Zionists were that clear
Several reporters expressed annoyance with US deference to Israel at yesterday’s State Department briefing
Battle over SodaStream anticipates a battle over whether John Kerry’s peace framework could result in a viable Palestinian state on what chunks of land the Palestinians get in the West Bank
Renowned cartoonists and illustrators call on International Festival of Comics to drop association with SodaStream
Over forty cartoonists and illustrators from a dozen countries around the world released an open letter today to Franck Bondoux, director of the International Festival of Comics at Angoulême, asking the festival to drop its relationship with the Israeli drink manufacturer SodaStream.
‘You seem to be on both sides of this legitimate/illegitimate kind of a thing’: State Dept. spox says neither Israeli settlements, nor settlement boycotts, are legitimate
There was an amusing exchange today at the State Departments’ Daily Press Briefing the sums up the confused and contradictory U.S. policy towards Israeli settlements.
Palestinians living near West Bank SodaStream factory urge Scarlett Johansson to end role with occupation profiteer
A network of Palestinians living near the SodaStream factory in the illegal settlement of Ma’ale Adumim in Occupied Palestine, as well as Israeli and international grassroots activists who work with them, have issued a press release today calling on Scarlett Johansson to step down as SodaStream spokesperson.
In quitting her role as an Oxfam global ambassador Scarlett Johansson cited “fundamental difference of opinion in regards to the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement” between herself and the organization. With this statement, Johansson and her public relations team not only extricate her from a vulnerable position, but does so cynically and opportunistically by throwing Oxfam under the bus implying that she was being forced by Oxfam to honor the Palestinian BDS call.
Lost in Occupation: Scarlett Johansson ends relationship with Oxfam to stick with SodaStream (Updated)
Late Wednesday the Associated Press broke the news that Scarlett Johansson is ending her relationship with Oxfam and staying on as a “global brand ambassador” with SodaStream. A statement released by a Johansson spokesperson cited “a fundamental difference of opinion in regards to the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement” between the actress and the international humanitarian organization.
Human rights advocates meet with Oxfam & Scarlett Johansson reps over concerns with Israeli settlements
In a meeting at Oxfam America’s Boston headquarters Tuesday afternoon, local human rights advocates urged representatives of the international aid agency Oxfam to be true to the organization’s principles and cut ties with their Global Ambassador Scarlett Johansson if she remains the Global Brand Ambassador for SodaStream, a company that operates a factory in an illegal Israeli settlement in the West Bank. In Los Angeles and New York, human rights groups delivered a petition with more than 10,000 signatures to Johansson’s representatives at Creative Artists Agency. The petition calls on the Hollywood actress to end her relationship with SodaStream.
The Guardian just launched an online poll on the ScarJo controversy.
The Stop Sodastream Italy campaign writes Oxfam Italy over the Scarlett Johansson controversy reminding the organization that they cut ties with Paola Maugeri over her relationship to SodaStream in 2012.
The Palestinian Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions National Committee (BNC), the largest coalition in Palestinian civil society, including trade unions, political parties, popular committees and NGOs, calls on Oxfam to immediately sever ties with Hollywood actor Scarlett Johansson over her vocal support for illegal Israeli settlements on occupied Palestinian territory.
A letter from Hubert Murray calling on Oxfam America to disassociate itself from Scarlett Johansson as long as she represents SodaStream. Murray is direct descendent of Professor Gilbert Murray and Dr. Henry Gillett, two founders of the Oxford Committee for Famine Relief (the original Oxfam).
Scarlett Johansson is getting some backup for representing SodaStream, a product made in a Jewish colony in the occupied Palestinian territories, and not just from rightwingers. Liberal Zionists have begun to voice their support, or stifle their criticism, in what is becoming a test of the all-new two state solution as envisioned by John Kerry. Above, liberal Democrat NY City Comptroller Scott Stringer who praised Johansson over the weekend.
Rightwing former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, who talks about women’s libidos, is now Scarlett Johansson’s wingman on support for SodaStream, which makes seltzer devices in the occupied territories in Palestine
Scarlett Johansson has finally issued a statement in response to criticisms over her new role as “global ambassador” for the Israeli settlement–produced SodaStream. Yet her statement, at 259 words, does not directly address any of the criticisms against her. The question now is whether Oxfam can stay true to its principles enough to compel Johansson to break her ties with SodaStream — or else break its ties with Johansson.
A new fantastic SodaStream/Scarlett graphic from Stephanie Westbrook.