- Singing sensation Mohammad Assaf has given us a ‘national umbrella’ … 8
- State officials in California sign letter denouncing BDS movement on … 7
- After Kerry visit, Israeli and Palestinian leaders quietly re-open economic … 10
- Snowden shows up Obama on leadership 5
- Taking on Bill Clinton and the ‘bigshots’, Chris Matthews says … 9
- Judge who acquitted war criminals at Hague had ‘close and … 4
- Latest DC mantra: The two-state solution is dead, long live … 41
- ‘I wanted to make a film [on] the conflict between … 6
- ‘Girls on Fire’ tell Alicia Keys — Don’t play Apartheid … 197
- The horror: ‘Breaking the Silence’ releases women’s frightful testimonies of … 134
- Meet the Israeli-linked firm that sold Big Brother machines to … 95
- An Israeli veteran comes forward to decry ‘how shitty we … 93
- House committee votes to give Israel another 1/2 billion in … 93
- Palestinian activist Abir Kopty: Oslo should go, the peace process … 87
- World Bank, the PA and Israel work together to confiscate … 83
- Looking for ‘a new devil,’ Israeli leaders and supporters left … 79
- US and Israel are accused of manipulating Hague to acquit … 133
- The kids are back, and it’s not alright 132
- The horror: ‘Breaking the Silence’ releases women’s frightful testimonies of … 126
- Approaching 60, Norman Finkelstein reflects 116
- Palestinian activist Abir Kopty: Oslo should go, the peace process … 102
- The MSM tries to distinguish between Manning and Snowden. Don’t … 86
- I’ve got Mohammed Assaf fever 72
- Weiner should be ‘hounded’ for his support for apartheid 50
- RT @BuzzFeedBen: Friends, my story tonight on Michael http://t.co/dm3jC7UpD9, 1 hour ago
- Israel & the West tries to neutralize Palestinian cause by transforming liberation struggle into humanitarian project http://t.co/DH4pnUTEDY, 3 hours ago
- ‘No consequences… ad finitum’ — Reporters reject State Dep’t explanation of US policy on settlements http://t.co/RuwyEzmToV, 3 hours ago
- Sixteen-year-old Ali Shamlawi faces 25 counts of attempted murder for alleged stone throwing http://t.co/VlfFHKwpPA, 3 hours ago
- Singing sensation Mohammad Assaf has given us a ‘national umbrella’ — writes Palestinian political prisoner http://t.co/PbmTDUQkBU, 3 hours ago
click link to see last 100 comments
- Latest DC mantra: The two-state solution is dead, long live the two-state solution! (41)
- talknic: @ Woody ” Scratch a zionist”? No need. It ooooozes out like settler excreta over Palestinian...
- talknic: @ mondonut ” If the Palestinians are not interested in either negotiating a 2ss or in their own...
- mondonut: Dutch says: As if #1 could be a condition for #2. Besides, a ‘Jewish state’ is nothing....
- Singing sensation Mohammad Assaf has given us a ‘national umbrella’ — writes Palestinian political prisoner (8)
- Annie Robbins: thank you so much Enass. your cousin…like so many before him and so many after. i will pray...
- Enass T: I really have to thank Annie for giving me the opportunity to contribute a little to this amazing story. I...
- Annie Robbins: Inanna, Enass has translated the judges comments for us, and then some. we will be posting them with...
- After Kerry visit, Israeli and Palestinian leaders quietly re-open economic negotiations (10)
- Inanna: The reason Abbas is supported by Israel and the west and this fake elite put into power is to sell-out the...
- Inanna: The problems are minimal If it wasn’t so tragic and deluded I would laugh. But let me provide a...
- Inanna: Yep. I’m starting to think the PA is fast becoming the equivalent of the South Lebanese puppets. And...
- Looking for ‘a new devil,’ Israeli leaders and supporters left scrambling after election of moderate Rouhani (42)
- ToivoS: I would like to believe your speculations here turn out to be correct. For them to come to fruition it would...
- Latest DC mantra: The two-state solution is dead, long live the two-state solution! (41)
Our WritersMore Writers
Category Archives: Media
‘I wanted to make a film [on] the conflict between Zionism and the Palestinians’: David Koff on his groundbreaking 1981 film ‘Occupied Palestine’
Joumana El Alaoui interviews David Koff about his 1981 documentary “Occupied Palestine.”
On Thursday June 13, 2013 in an interview on IDF Radio the commander of the 53rd Battalion of the Givati Brigade, Yitzhak Pundak, confirmed that forces under his command ethnically cleansed Palestinian villages in 1948. The following day, June 14th, the Associated Press broke a story that’s spread like wildfire accusing 94 year old Ukrainian immigrant Michael Karkoc, an American citizen and Minnesota resident since 1949 of being a Nazi war criminal who commanded a unit of the Ukrainian Self Defense Legion responsible for committing atrocities during World War II.
Marc Ellis reviews Margarethe Von Trotta’s new film on the philosopher Hannah Arendt: “The genius of ‘Hannah Arendt’ is that for the first time in her controversial public life, we see Hannah and Arendt together. We see both as one . . . It is s a film about a woman who refused to be a bystander. Arendt was a one woman dynamo of investigation and confrontation.”
Although its propaganda function is more difficult to detect than that of, say, the comparatively straightforward The Gatekeepers, Hannah Arendt is undeniably a product of hasbara that is non-threatening to the Israeli state.
Media coverage of Alice Walker’s plea to Alicia Keys to cancel her Tel Aviv concert shows a change in the US discourse towards Israel.
Op-Ed: Sen. Schatz, the Israel visa waiver exemption bill promotes a process similar to Hawaii’s own history of colonization and exploitation
Kristen-Marie Puanani Young Ortiz has an Op-Ed in today’s Honolulu Star Advertiser asking Senator Brian Schatz to drop his support for the visa waiver exemption for Israel.
Travel host Rick Steves writes a series in the Huffington Post on Israel and Palestine.
Glenn Greenwald wrote another of his important blowback articles this morning in the Guardian; Was the London killing of a British soldier ‘terrorism’? He asks an essential question concerning the definition and use of the term “terrorism”. The media in western societies should be scrutinizing this definition and the hypocrisy with which the term is applied.
Reporters Without Borders on the Israeli al-Dura investigation: ‘the nature and substance of this report are questionable and give the impression of a smear operation’
Reporters Without Borders just released a statement on recently released Israeli investigation into the death of Muhammad al-Dura.
When a listener asks a question about public broadcasting’s debt to Zionist funders, the Diane Rehm show cuts him off
Fresh from its triumph in exposing the Mohammed al-Dura death hoax, a secret Israeli Government Commission is nearing the completion of an even more comprehensive investigation absolving the IDF of all deaths of civilians in Lebanon in 2006, Gaza in 2008-2009, the Mavi Marmara in 2010, and Gaza in November, 2012.
In the current media discourse the actual culture and history of the Arab Jews is completely ignored in favor of a bare-knuckles political approach that marks Jews and Arabs as separate categories. The narrative is one that has been constructed by the Zionists and leaves out the existential and cultural substance of the Sephardic community.
Al Jazeera pulled Joseph Massad’s article – “The Last of the Anti-Semites” – from their website yesterday. Massad’s article is disappearing. Like disappearing Palestine, it will reappear. Neither are going away.
CNN’s Anthony Bourdain is going to Israel and that is a really good thing.
Mark Landler said the New York Times received a telephone call today (May 15) from an unnamed Israeli official who threatened more airstrikes against Syria and warned that if the Assad regime retaliates it would face “crippling consequences.” When contacted by the newspaper, Mark Regev, an Israeli government spokesperson, refused to comment on the allegation.
Newseum glorifies the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine by honoring Hank Greenspun’s gun-running to Israel in the 1940s.
The Newseum’s ‘further investigation’ must be public, credible, and thorough – and what we should do if it isn’t
An impartial investigation by the Newseum into the deaths of Mahmoud al-Kumi and Hussam Salama should be welcomed, but if the investigation is secretive, partisan, or perfunctory, or if the same conclusions already reached by every other responsible body fail to produce equivalent tribute to al-Kumi and Salama – some response will be demanded.
Last night Bill Maher had Glenn Greenwald on his show. Maher, a self-professed atheist who thinks religion is poison but thinks Israel is wonderful got a big surprise.
‘Newseum’ comes under pressure from Israel supporters for honoring Palestinian journalists killed in Gaza
On May 13th, the Newseum in Washington, DC will be holding an event to honor “newspeople who died or were killed in the pursuit of news” in the past year. Among the 84 journalists who died are Mahmoud al-Kumi and Hussam Salama who were killed in Israel’s attack on the Gaza Strip this past winter. Their inclusion in the ceremony has sent parts of the Israel lobby into overdrive as both worked for Al-Aqsa television which is affiliated with Hamas. The neocon think tank Foundation for the Defense of Democracies is threatening pull an annual policy summit out of the venue in protest.
I love it when American pundits talk about American intervention just shy of American boots on the ground – as if everyone else’s suffering is unimportant in comparison.
US has accused Syrian regime of using chemical weapons, but UN investigator says rebels have used them. At the New York Times, Bill Keller, who pushed the Iraq war, advises, “Syria Is Not Iraq,” and that “getting Syria right starts with getting over Iraq.” The columnist ascribes great power to the U.S. to be able to fix things over there– on what basis?
Islamophobic ‘Foreign Policy’ article compares Boston bombing and Palestinian resistance to occupation
Yair Shamir’s May 1, Foreign Policy article “Our Shared Islamist Enemy: From Boston to Israel, radicals are attempting to destroy Western culture” endeavors to draw baseless parallels between the Boston Marathon bombings and the resistance of Palestinians against the Israeli occupation, what he inaccurately portrays as an “aggressive and offensive jihad, unconnected to any particular conflict or borders, which conjoins Islamist terror groups around the world.” His unabashedly Zionist agenda rears its head through this opportunistic attempt to play into the media circus surrounding the Boston bombings.
Ynet has an oddly anonymously-sourced story on a trend the Israeli embassy in Washington has noticed in American popular culture – Israel and the Israel lobby are increasingly portrayed as the bad guy.
A smear campaign against UN Rapporteur Richard Falk distorts his words to claim that he blames Israel and the US for the Boston bombing—and that he believes the vicitms had it coming. Yet Falk never made the comments he was accused of making. Above, Falk talks at the United Nations.
Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad is gone–and with him goes the Palestinian Arab Spring, according to New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman. The author is innocent about American politics and its relation to the politics he sees rampant in the Arab world. Friedman ignores the repression and corruption everywhere–even among the leaders of our American empire.