In ’07, Gingrich blamed Israel for Palestinian conditions

News
Newt Gingrich
Newt Gingrich

Seems like both Barack Obama and Newt Gingrich have moved relentlessly right on the Palestinian issue. (Yes, and why?) Here’s some more data. Tablet’s Jacob Sugarman reports that one of Obama’s rabbis on Israel/Palestine issue is, god help us, Ed Koch:

On Sept. 21, 2011, hours after delivering a speech to the United Nations general assembly in which he denounced the Palestinian Authority’s bid for statehood and temporarily restored the faith of Israeli loyalists across the country, Obama brokered a détente of his own with one of the Jewish state’s staunchest defenders. Their conversation, held at the New York Public Library, was frank. “He said that my voice was heard outside of New York and that he needed me,” noted the former mayor from his Manhattan office. During their talk, Obama expressed his distress that the Jewish community had grown unhappy with him. “He was surprised because he thought he was doing what they wanted,” said Koch. “I said ‘No, you’re not.’ ” Less than a week after their kibitz, Koch committed to campaign on the president’s behalf in 2012.

ed koch
Ed Koch

What promises did Obama make? And speaking of promises to keep, here’s Gingrich…. Becky Boydstun in the Fort Worth Conservative Examiner:

In February of 2007, Newt Gingrich was interviewed by Charlie Rose and was asked how he would handle the Palestinian and Israeli issue. He first responded by saying he would do everything he could to help the Palestinians defeat Hamas. He followed these comments with this quote:  “Israel has to bear a lot of the burden in this. Despite 40 years of opportunity, the Israelis have never figured out how to grow a generation, a faction of Palestinians, who would be safer, more prosperous and freer.”

It is obvious what he was expressing here. Unlike his most recent viewpoint, where he placed blame for the unrest on the continuous fighting on the part of the Palestinians, before he blamed Israel for the conflict with Palestine. It just cannot be both ways.

Thanks to Annie Robbins and Paul Mutter.

Philip Weiss

Philip Weiss is senior editor of Mondoweiss.net and founded the site in 2005-06.

1. tombishop on January 31, 2012, 2:35 pm

• Woody Tanaka on January 31, 2012, 2:54 pm

“How did the Palestinians of 2007 disappear as an “invented people” in 2012? Maybe they were Raptured??”

Newt got a case of $10 million amnesia.

• unVet on January 31, 2012, 3:21 pm

The proper name is Adelsonesia.

• Woody Tanaka on January 31, 2012, 3:44 pm

That’s a good one, unVet.

2. Mndwss on January 31, 2012, 2:47 pm

I want to tell you my secret now…

I see corrupt/evil people who call themselves politicians.

***

Cole: I want to tell you my secret now.

Malcolm: Okay.

Cole: I See dumb People.

Malcolm: In your dreams? While you’re awake? Dumb people, like in your school? Or out in the streats?

Cole: Walking around like regular people. They only see what they want to see. They don’t know they’re dumb.

Malcolm: How often do you see them?

Cole: All the time. They’re everywhere.

• American on January 31, 2012, 3:10 pm

Good one.

• thetumta on January 31, 2012, 7:54 pm

Priceless. Too bad it’s not a trailer for a movie! Well there’s an idea? Perhaps “Dawn of the Dumb”?
      Hej!

• Citizen on February 1, 2012, 10:34 am

How about, that old-time, Night Of The Living Dumb?

3. American on January 31, 2012, 3:34 pm

“All our politicians lie and don’t care about the US or us.”

That was the main message from voters in a piece on the news last night featuring the Fla vote and what is called the ‘grey corridor” in Fla.. The gray corridor being I-4 the swath between the north-south fringes in Fla. that are majority independents.
    They are group that swung the Fla votes in the Bush election and the Obama election.
    I watched it and to a man everyone repeated the same thing; the politicians all lie, they live on another planet, they are all corrupt, we have to have campaign finance reform and so on.
    One problem is decent or even half way decent people won’t get involved in politics because it’s a pure mud wallowing pig pen and they can’t get the money necessary without selling out to donors special interest.
    It’s too damn bad because now is the perfect time and conditions in the US for a third party candidate who has a broad, common sense and not too economically radical platform . Paul is too way out on his domestic positions for the mainstream or he would have a chance.
    I’ve always had this day dream of some President being elected and his inaugural speech saying ‘I want to thank all the big donors that I owe my election to but I’m going to have to renig on the promises I made to you fellows for the good of the country,but thanks anyway.”

• Citizen on February 1, 2012, 10:50 am

I travel I-4 all the time; I have relatives at both ends of FLA and in-between. I sympathize with your comment, American. I predict FLA will ultimately go for Obama against Romney (same as the country). Nothing will change that is the subject of commentary here on MW. I’ve never even met a Floridian who was even aware of MW, nor would bother to google it and spend any time here. There will be no root change in our current bipartisan bribery system of planting our representative leaders in power. My one caveat, is that the attack on Iran very probable by this Fall, due to unintended consequences, will lead to real change–at a cost to America & the World few have imagined.

• American on February 1, 2012, 12:19 pm

My nightmare says you might be right Citizen.
        After the invasion of Iraq I have no doubts about US insanity.

4. kalithea on January 31, 2012, 9:11 pm

This article is sooooooooo pointless. So what if Gingrich was further to the center in 07…big deal! He still wants to bomb Iran. And he disappears a nation of millions of Palestinians for 5 million Zionist dollars. Why do you feel the need to waste space on this moron? Any publicity is good publicity, but that doesn’t seem to bother you much. This is sad.

Why don’t you give Ron Paul this wasted space? Yeah, I know, anyone but Ron Paul. But you’re giving the Griiiiiiinch the time of day, seriously???

Ron Paul opposed the Resolution that condemned the Goldstone Report in Congress, would restart diplomacy with Iran and cut funding to Israel, something no other President had the balls to do. And he doesn’t kiss the Lobby’s ass! But it seems thems are small potatoes for you.

{sigh}

• miguel on January 31, 2012, 10:29 pm

kalithea – I must agree! O’Bama, Grinch, and ‘Mint’ are not choices….not for the future that I envision. Although I would not have considered Ron Paul tailored to my views, he won’t serve the corporate interests like those other 3 guys. We need to seriously change the game. The same types that are gutting our wealth and health, also act like they have the answers. Amazing hubris

• Citizen on February 1, 2012, 11:02 am

The very poor (foodstamps, medicaid, SSI, WIC, school food programs to name just a few–the aggregate of these programs is immense) and the (a bit more than comparatively) wealthy (measure it widely as anyone who succeeds in making $5,ooo or more always above the moving annual SS tax cap?), already have a safety net that the working stiffs (white & blue collar families) do not have. Yet it is the latter group that pays most disproportionately for our welfare-warfare state. Both main political parties cloud this up by constantly referencing “the middle class.” Whatever you call them, they are the individuals and families that can least take advantage of all our entitlement programs and the preferences built in to our IRS Code, including especially the definitions in that code, e.g., “ordinary income,” “carried interest, & “capital gains,” as to what amounts to corporate welfare.

5. proudzionist777 on February 1, 2012, 7:35 am

“It is obvious what he was expressing here.”

Not obvious at all. You are unfairly reading things into Newt’s quote.

• Walid on February 1, 2012, 8:23 am

Your Palestinians-denying hero is the genius who in a ’98 confrontation with Clinton over ads aimed at kids said he thought that tobacco advertising basically had no impact on whether children decided to smoke or not.

• Citizen on February 1, 2012, 11:06 am

NY is now pushing a $7.00 a pack tax on cigarettes.

• Chaos4700 on February 1, 2012, 8:50 am

Shoah deniers united strikes again.