David Sheen: Alternate cover for Newsweek that will never see the light of day

ActivismNews

Earlier today we noted the Newsweek cover featuring a story by Islam-basher Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Well, an alternative:

A3APFmTCAAAWvhn
Graphic: David Sheen Photo: Activestills
Annie Robbins

Annie Robbins is Editor at Large for Mondoweiss, a human rights activist and a ceramic artist. She lives in the SF bay area. Follow her on Twitter @anniefofani

1. annie on September 17, 2012, 1:16 pm

kudos to david sheen

2. MRW on September 17, 2012, 1:35 pm

Brilliant.

3. tombishop on September 17, 2012, 1:49 pm

Something else you won’t see in the corporate media:

Pamela Geller’s Blog Solicited Funds For anti-Muhammad Film
    from Talk to Action

• NickJOCW on September 18, 2012, 6:12 am

Colin, sorry to be dumb but what is that man holding in second picture with the UN flag?

• ColinWright on September 18, 2012, 2:50 pm

Either some of a dead Lebanese adult or most of a dead Lebanese child.

4. Denis on September 17, 2012, 3:16 pm

Well, the Jews are going to have a rough time getting the Innocence of Muslims off the bottom of their collective shoe with the likes of Geller connected to it. But she ain’t the only one. There are lots of connections. Here’s a flow chart — sort of degrees of separation analysis.

Not sure what the Edward Ezor/Jill Wizel connection is all about. They sold real estate in Tarzana, CA. to the creepy “Robt. Alan Brown” (Brownell) who directed both IoM and Young Lady Chatterley – II as “Alan Roberts.” “Brown” sold the property right back to Ezor. Ezor is a lawyer (once represented Artie Shaw) but is also connected to YLC-II and is a producer on another crap-flick — “Cage.”

Brown, aka Roberts, aka Brownell — like Nakoula — has so many fake names he is almost assumed to be complicit merely by keeping a stable of active pseudonyms. LA is chocko-full of creepy people, that’s for sure, and that’s got nothing to do with being Jewish, it’s just the way the people are. To much sun and looking in the mirror all day does that to a person.

The Stranger: “They call Los Angeles the city of angles. Well, I didn’t find it to be that, exactly, but then I’ll allow how’s there’s some nice folks there.” (I think the nice folks are all Mexican.)

• annie on September 17, 2012, 3:22 pm

argh…frankly denis, i don’t really associate ‘the jews’ with geller. she’s about as extremist/radical as they come. do they even have a ‘collective shoe’?

• philweiss on September 17, 2012, 3:54 pm

thank you Annie. No collective shoe. Phil

• Mooser on September 17, 2012, 3:59 pm

“No collective shoe. Phil”

Nope, you are so right, there will always be a way for the white-shoes to blame the rest of us for Zionism.

• seafoid on September 17, 2012, 5:16 pm

The white shoes- do they come with spats?

Judaism needs more intercommunity spats before the car goes off the cliff. There is a turn coming up . It’s not too late.

• Krauss on September 18, 2012, 8:32 am

Thanks for being the inhouse resident-expert on all matters Judaism, seafoid.

We needed that.

• Kathleen on September 17, 2012, 4:30 pm

Interesting flow chart. Phil generalizes all of the time about the Jewish community ( reason for the decades of silence afraid to speak up yada yada) but not a good idea for anyone to do

• Mooser on September 17, 2012, 9:16 pm

Kathleen, I wonder if it was a good idea for Phil to get involved in this thing without first dealing with his astounding entitlement issues.
        I hope he doesn’t come to any harm.

• Kathleen on September 18, 2012, 12:26 am

• Mooser on September 18, 2012, 12:05 pm

“Pointing the finger at someone generalizing when you often generalize about the same group of people is a just a bit tough to swallow.”

Yup, and I’m really tired of myself doing it. It’s nothing more, really, than a defensive reaction that it’s very hard to rid myself of because it does involve personal false pride.
        But I gotta give Phil a big, big shout-out in this department! Reading Mondoweiss almost every day (when time permits) has just about cured me of it. I fought like heck (and you can easily see the progression in my comment archive, if you’re willing to wade through all the persiflage, which I’d advise you not to waste your time) but a good dose of, just for one example, “Today in Palestine” put me right back in my place.
        Oddly enough, it doesn’t seem to have quite the same effect on Phil, and ya gotta love him for it, the man just cannot conceive of losing! He’s a real fighter, I’m just a frightened Jew, when you get right down to it.

• seanmcbride on September 18, 2012, 1:54 pm

Mooser wrote,

I’m just a frightened Jew, when you get right down to it.

Your acute antennae may be picking up signals that a global shitstorm is brewing over “the Jews” (Israel) — and you are probably right.

And you may be guessing that many of Israel’s “best friends” in the United States may perform a sudden about-face if Israeli policies bring down grief and misery on the heads of Americans.

I think there is about an 80% probability that this is going to happen, taking into account current trends. At least we made an effort to stop it.

Color me just a frightened goy.

• PeaceThroughJustice on September 18, 2012, 4:28 pm

“and you can easily see the progression in my comment archive …”

Unfortunately, most of the very early comments at this site are longer available, lost during various software upgrades. To this day I remember one of yours, Mooser. You had just arrived from JSF, and you mentioned (I forget the context) that you didn’t like to bring up the topic of I/P with newcomers to the subject because so often you would detect antisemitism. It stuck in my mind because I was always on the lookout for signs of the prioritization of antisemitism over everything else, and this angered me greatly. But the interesting part is that there has been a progression (or maybe I just misinterpreted your early comments), because now your voice is one of the ones I look to for help in navigating the tricky field of “antisemitism.”

This isn’t meant to sound condescending. Progression isn’t something you see a lot of on internet sites, where we mainly come to be confirmed in our ideas, so I honestly often think of your example, and hope I’m keeping myself open to similar changes.

• Mooser on September 18, 2012, 6:54 pm

“Unfortunately, most of the very early comments at this site are longer available, lost during various software upgrades. “

Nice to know that among all the kicks in the teeth, fate still sometimes arranges things in our favor. Comment archives are stupid. Comments should all be erased at the end of the day, or after a week, at most.

• Denis on September 17, 2012, 9:24 pm

Yes, you are all making a very valid point — no collective Jewish shoe here. I apologize for being over-inclusive and under-senstitve in that metaphor.

But durn, it’s a tough one. Normally I can avoid offending folks here on MW by referring to “Israel firsters” or “Zionists,” but, as some of you have noted, Geller is a more inclusive sort of witch. No, she’s not representative of American Jews, heaven forfend that she should ever be that representative. But she is representative of a broader group than Israelis or Zionists, both in her social policies and her Islamophobia.

But my point was that a lot of the commentary from Jews — Goldberg, Blumenthal, MSM — trying to distance Jews from the Innocence of Muslims and Chris Stevens’ death is undermined by Geller’s hate speech, that is equal parts Zionist and Islamophobic, and her connection with Nasrallah, Sadek, Klein and the other producers/promoters of IoM.

But you are right — Geller is so far out there in her own orbit of hatred, it is probably not possible to connect her to any religion, even if she pushes the Jewish thing herself.

Again, my apologies.

BTW, I don’t think I have seen the Sep15.12 McClatchy report discussed here. This ties Geller’s pro-Israel, Coptic buddy Sadek directly to the riots via his pleading with reporters in Egypt to get the IoM ball rolling. Some great work by Nancy Youssef and Amina Ismail. http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/09/15/168613/anti-us-outrage-over-video-began.html#storylink=cpy

See also the connection of Sadek to Israel, as discussed by Cathail. http://thepassionateattachment.com/2012/09/17/pro-israel-copts-phone-call-provoked-anti-american-outrage/

It’s starting to come together.

• traintosiberia on September 17, 2012, 10:41 pm

Denis
      Without some of these “jewish people” we would not have a platform today. to question Israel or neoocns.

• Kathleen on September 18, 2012, 12:28 am

It certainly has turned up the volume and attention on the issue. A great shift. A monumental shift

5. seanmcbride on September 17, 2012, 3:47 pm

Annie,

But Denis’s language is arguably objectionable.

• philweiss on September 17, 2012, 3:55 pm

The Islamophobes employ the same tactics — collective responsibility – and we bust em for it

• Mooser on September 17, 2012, 4:05 pm

You are so right, Phil, it’ll be so easy to prove that Zionism was the result of the individual responses of individual Jews (and some non-Jews) and not the result of concerted action promulgated through religious affiliation (which always expanded itself to accommodate it with no protest). We’ll make ’em look ridiculous when they try to pin it on Jews. Had nothing to do with us, anyway. Why, where’s the proof?

Odd, you know, you’re starting to sound like me before I started reading Mondoweiss. You should try it some time. Really opened my eyes.

• philweiss on September 17, 2012, 4:07 pm

mooser i was bridling at the term The Jews. You ought to read Mooser some time, busting antisemitism

• Danaa on September 17, 2012, 4:33 pm

Totally Hilarious.

Mooser sends Phil for serious readings on Mondoweiss (a blog famous for its classy iconoclastic non-philistine views of all things Jewish, Israelite and Palestinite). And Phil sends the Mooser to read the one and only Moose, the most definitive threader of anti-semitic needles and a needler par excellance.

Please sirs, can I please have some more?

• Mooser on September 17, 2012, 4:44 pm

“You ought to read Mooser some time, busting antisemitism”

And do you notice I hardly ever bother anymore? (Although to be fair, there’s far less of it on Mondoweiss as things got discussed and finer distinctions made) I can no longer make the distinctions necessary. Maybe you still can, but I can’t. I tried for years, but I can’t anymore. We gave it to ’em, you and me, for our piece of the Golden Calf, and soon, we will have to pay. Maybe you think you can squirm out of it, and I wouldn’t doubt it. But us prostaches we will pay the price. And you know something? I’ll pay it, and gladly, before I ever take any advice from the balebatisheh yiden, thank you.

• seafoid on September 17, 2012, 5:20 pm

You two are like Statler and Waldorf

• MRW on September 17, 2012, 6:31 pm

@Phil,

You can bridle at it all you want, but until such time as, say, American Jews rise up en masse and complain about Netanyahu’s dragging this country into war with Iran, the average schmoe is going to think every (American) Jew wants what Netanyahu wants. (As one example)

Carving out the difference here only makes contributors sensitive to your categorizations here.

It ain’t what’s happening in Nebraska and New Orleans. You’re just the Jews. Just like Blacks, Latinos, and Evangelicals. You can tutter for respect, but you’re looking out of, not looking into, the issue.

I think MJ’s article are brilliant addressing this issue, but he makes the same mistake, carving out the 3% that are hard-core Israel-Firsters (the loudest who get all the press) and the 70% that would vote Democrat (basically invisible). But who would know?

That is not how Jews are perceived in America as a direct result of the vociferous anti-semitism campaigns (the one yesterday on Maureen Dowd at politico.com a case in point, or Helen Thomas) where it’s the community with its various approved mouthpieces screeching for a week. Add the ‘no daylight’ business. Add the gagged TV anchors and pundits tip-toeing around the glaring I/P issue. Add the failure to rip Pam Geller a new asshole for her poison because, god forbid, the fact that she’s a rabid Jewish Israel Firster might be anti-semitic. And on and on.

Regular America calls you the Jews. No disrespect intended.

“Maureen Dowd meets anti-Semitism charge”

• annie on September 17, 2012, 6:55 pm

Regular America calls you the Jews. No disrespect intended.

there’s nothing regular about that in my book MRW. iow, i beg to differ. there’s lots of americans that don’t do that.

i think the reactions to netanyahu’s latest shinangans/pressure were very telling. it may not be as ‘en mass’ as we’d like but there’s plenty of squawking going on. i wish there was a little more credit going on, i am hearing more pushback from parts of the jewsih community than a lot of the lame ass sit on your ass fraidy cats non jews who are scared shitless to ruffle feathers.

a little acknowledgement is not a bad thing instead of the constant beratement (not that you constantly berate because you don’t). but there’s some heavy lifting that’s needed to fix this mess we’re in and sitting back and pointing at the jewish community to get the job done aint gonna cut it. need a group effort, dividing people ideologically instead of by ethnicity might be in order. there are lots of jews on my team and i am on theirs. so this is very much my job and my goal to fix this mess.

• Mooser on September 17, 2012, 6:56 pm

“You two are like Statler and Waldorf”

One of us sings Southern Gospel with his brothers and one of us is a salad? Okay, fair enough.

• Mooser on September 17, 2012, 7:03 pm

“my goal to fix this mess.”

So you come down firmly on the ‘Israel/Zionism is fixable’ side of the equasion? Well, that’ll be a whole lot less frightening than telling US Jews they must work towards ethnic cleasing their relatives and best friends out of Palestine.

• Mooser on September 17, 2012, 7:07 pm

“Please sirs, can I please have some more?”

All I can say is, Danaa, you ain’t heard nothin’ yet. Just wait until the text-to-voice feature is installed in the comment section!

• annie on September 17, 2012, 7:16 pm

hmm, more like palestine/israel is fixable.
        zionism? not so sure about that.

• MRW on September 17, 2012, 7:36 pm

@annie, my love

You live in CA where the awareness (meaning sensitivity) is light years ahead of UT, NV, AZ, NM, OK, KS (except in pockets), MT (except in pockets), ID, NE, ND, SD, parts of IN and TX, and many rural areas. I drive around these places. I hear it. And the term the Jews is not used in a derogatory way; it’s a grouping term. Call it stereotypical usage. I mean, look at the grouping of 1.5 billion Muslims worldwide into The Muslims, and you get an idea of the mental sloppiness that abounds.

It may even be a watershed experience. We’ll see. I haven’t seen one fairly major site online where the comments are less than 50% against him…and…it has engaged Joe Six-Pack. Finally. Joe Six-Pack is formulating an opinion, and moderators are letting them. And that is a far far larger group than the 2%. I haven’t tracked reactions to Dagan on 60 Minutes last night, but it struck me that since 60 Minutes has a long lag time before broadcast, Netanyahu must have known that Dagan would appear last night. Did that prompt his MTP appearance? To pre-empt it?

I couldn’t agree more about everyone doing the heavy-lifting but look at that Politico shot at Maureen Dowd yesterday. NYT’s Rosenthal email at the end should have been the lede to stop the flame throwers (and Josh Blocks) from thinking they can silence criticism.

I mean, look at the opening line: “New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd set the Jewish political community on fire.” On fire? They’re all up in arms? The political community of the 3% of American Jews? Baloney. It’s a hyperbolic sensitivity on Politico’s part to a narrow group of gatekeepers who need to be put in the corner and spoken to harshly. They didn’t do that to Friedman when he spoke bluntly a couple of months ago. Israeli papers, ‘natch, complained, but he didn’t get it here the way his fellow NYT columnist just did. Politico made it a news item, fercrissake.

So, yes, I completely agree with you that everyone has to speak up but that’s not yet a national agreement or self-permission. My comments were meant to be an operational observation, not a directive.

• Mooser on September 17, 2012, 8:44 pm

Annie, you don’t think that Israel is Zionism? Israel, and especially, Israelis, are Zionism? And of course, Israel’s helpers and devotees around the world. They, Israel, the land, the people, its policies and actions are Zionism made flesh.
        And no matter whether the land is called Palestine or “Israel”, no matter who gets how many votes, those people, the life and flesh of Zionism, will be there. No matter what the government is called or what its ethnic or political make-up is, they are organised and disciplined within themselves, have outside resources and financing available. They even have their own religion, responsible or responding to no other outside influence and clerical figures ready to meld the religious and Zionist impulses. This is what you are going to “fix”?
        And BTW, won’t it be hard, after a couple generation of very comprehensive indoctrination, to convince them it’s “broken”?

• annie on September 17, 2012, 11:19 pm

• MRW on September 17, 2012, 11:50 pm

“where we go, the nation follows..eventually.” Yep. Know that too.

• American on September 18, 2012, 12:28 am

“dividing people ideologically instead of by ethnicity might be in order. there are lots of jews on my team and i am on theirs. so this is very much my job and my goal to fix this mess”…annie

You can’t fix zionism ….Zionism, the ‘All Jews are One Nationality with Israel as their Capital’ concept must be destroyed or the Jews will get further into deep doo-doo. There are only 2 ways or chances of ‘fixing’ Israel, first is to ” break it” and then reformulate it as something other than a Zionist state…or the second option, suffing it back inside it’s original borders and let it remain a very small Jews only commune type state.

• Kathleen on September 18, 2012, 12:30 am

The decades long silence

• YoungMassJew on September 18, 2012, 1:01 am

@MRW and Annie,
        The only thing I’ll say is that if you pay close attention to what people mumble under their breath you get a good guage in how people lump Jews together. I’ve haven’t been to rural areas in the heartland so I can’t say I agree or disagree. That’s such Jewish behavior on my part as a city dweller. [snark].

• Mooser on September 18, 2012, 12:13 pm

“only thing I’ll say is that if you pay close attention to what people mumble under their breath you get a good guage in how people lump Jews together. “

YMJ, when people mumble things under their breath, you look them in the eye, and in a loud voice, say: “Did you say something? Would you mind repeating it so we all can hear it? Please, instruct me on the nature of Jews, if you would be so kind”

That might work for you. I’ve tried it many times, but soon discovered that the things I thought they mumbled are mostly my own aural hallucinations. Led to some very embarrassing incidents.

And always remember YMJ, that social isolation and anxiety, not to mention religious estrangement from the (generally speaking) Christian society is more than half the pleasure of being a Jew. In fact, I would say it’s one of the few privileges of being Jew.

• ColinWright on September 19, 2012, 3:37 am

Annie Robbins says: “You live in CA where the awareness (meaning sensitivity) is light years ahead of UT, NV, AZ, NM, OK, KS (except in pockets)

i know, but we’re still part of america. we’re regular people too, regular americans. and there are a lot of us. we matter. where we go, the nation follows..eventually.”

People say this, and it sounds plausible, but I’m just not sure it’s true.

For one, people are definitely aware of the distinction between ‘Israelis’ and ‘Jews.’ There are a fair number of Israelis here, and they seem to be entirely distinct from ‘Jews’ in most people’s minds.

For another, people are perfectly capable of not connecting phenomena that would seem to be obviously connected. Often, this is bad — but I don’t think it’s necessarily the case that people make all that close a connection between ‘Jews’ as in a subset of Americans, and ‘Israel’ as in this country that we support that manages to get into the news so much.

For one, the belligerently obvious supporters of Israel often aren’t Jews — and this brings me to the last point. Across this same great middle where Americans supposedly don’t differentiate between ‘Jews’ and Israel, the great advocates of Israel aren’t Jews at all, but Evangelical Christians. The average American who finds himself being hammered to love Israel isn’t getting the hammering from a Jew at all, but from his pastor.

For most Americans, Israel doesn’t necessarily evoke the association ‘Jewish’ so much as it is a rallying point for conservatives, vociferous Evangelicals, and Islamophobes. They may know it’s Jewish — but that’s not necessarily what they think of when they think of Israel.

So I think it may be mistaken to assume Jews and Israel are identified with each other as closely as some would assume. Not that I’m denying the linkage either — but I wouldn’t build apocalyptic castles in the sky on it.

• eljay on September 19, 2012, 11:08 am

>> So I think it may be mistaken to assume Jews and Israel are identified with each other as closely as some would assume.

Given the painstaking efforts made by Zionist and their supporters to associate the two (Old Testament references, use of terms such as “Promised Land”, “Jewish homeland” and “Jewish State”, invocation of the [Jewish] Holocaust, etc.), I can’t imagine that Jews and Israel aren’t indentified closely with each other by the “Average Joe”.

• American on September 18, 2012, 12:04 am

Ah, Collective Responsibility…Collective Blame …big subject.

People do generalize…don’t ask me why, I don’t know, I would guess it’s because if they’ve only ever seen a pink Eskimo and all people talk about is the pink ones then they tend to think all Eskimos are pink.

• Mooser on September 18, 2012, 12:18 pm

American, isn’t like the story of the elephant and the blind men? One touched his tail, and thought a pachyderm was like a snake. One touched his ear, and thought an elephant was a giant butterfly, and etc, and etc. Until the elephant stepped on one guy, and he knew exactly what an elephant was; something which needed a high-powered slug through its skull. Of course, being sight-impaired, he ended up shooting a Jew blowing a shofar, which just shows to go ya’.

• on September 17, 2012, 5:25 pm

“But Denis’s language is arguably objectionable.”
      Not yet.

First you’ll have to prove that whoever identifies himself as “Jewish” is not statistically very likely to support Zionism and/or that abomination presenting itself as ‘The Jewish State”, which by the way IS *a* Jewish state by its declared racist and theocratic practices.

No such proof? Then why the objection? Is that objection based on the presence of a ridiculously ineffective, wee minority of three blind mice?
      If you want to avoid being amalgamated with the Zionist, you have to first put Zionism in the minority position.

• annie on September 17, 2012, 7:06 pm

so i’m starting to see a pattern here. we’ve got netanyahu as the leader and geller as their spokesperson. do we have a treasurer lined up? maybe a deck of cards? who’s the court jester? mooser?

i hope this thread doesn’t become an embarrassment.

• MRW on September 17, 2012, 7:47 pm

Don’t even put Mooser in that mix. He’s ours. ;-)

I memorized three of the most adroit and zingey insights, IMHO, from this board, and all three were Mooser’s. When I used them, I got accused of anti-semitism in the Republican-saturated bar, where I am 86’d on any political talk of any type. The latest one I use, which I alter to fit the discussion at hand, is this, which contains within it the seed of real wisdom:

• Mooser on September 18, 2012, 12:44 pm

“link to mondoweiss.net”

Just as I thought. The link leads nowhere, and my computer froze up for fifteen minutes. Thanks, MRW, but I don’t need any more people mad at me.

• Kathleen on September 18, 2012, 12:31 am

Who was Stuart Levey’s replacement?

• hophmi on September 24, 2012, 3:03 am

“Pamela Geller is a Jewish nationalist and presents herself as a spokesperson for “the Jews.” Some important media outlets have provided her with a platform — Fox News, Newsmax, etc. At root, her views, including the rabid Islamophobia and militant Zionism, really differ little, if at all, from those of many leading Likud Zionists. The Jewish establishment hasn’t worked very hard to disavow her. It would be understandable if quite a few Americans associated Geller with the Israel and Jewish lobbies.”

Total bullshit. Geller is not a spokesperson for the Jews, and no Jewish establishment organization promotes her. Complete nonsense, as usual, factually incorrect.

• seanmcbride on September 24, 2012, 9:44 am

hophmi wrote:

Total bullshit. Geller is not a spokesperson for the Jews….

Dumb as a rock and illiterate as usual.

I said Geller CLAIMS to be a spokesperson for “the Jews.” Many right-wing Jews (especially neoconservatives and religious Zionists) stridently and repetitively CLAIM to be speaking for “the Jews” — all of them — even though they do not really possess that authority. Many non-Jews who don’t know much about the complexities of Jewish culture and politics believe that they do in fact represent “the Jews.” This is a disastrous belief to promote, for all the obvious reasons.

and no Jewish establishment organization promotes her.

More stupidity and general illiteracy — once again, you can’t parse and understand simple English. I didn’t say the Jewish establishment has promoted Geller — I said it hasn’t worked very hard to condemn and disavow her. She should have been drummed out of American politics a long time ago — she makes David Duke seem relatively moderate and sane.

Hophmi — you are simply not smart enough to participate on Mondoweiss without making a fool of yourself on a regular basis. But you provide superb insights into the mentality of the kind of people who are strongly attracted to ethnic and religious nationalism. So keep up the good work. This is your brain on ethnic and religious nationalism — completely nonfunctional.

6. seafoid on September 17, 2012, 5:14 pm

As my uncle Zvi always says, Jews wouldn’t do that

7. Les on September 17, 2012, 5:20 pm

Take a look at Moon of Alabama’s alternative cover page.

8. piotr on September 17, 2012, 6:11 pm

So if I am “half-Jewish” I am “half-Geller”?! Why!

Actually, Geller is not even a Likudnik. Although I am loosing track. And it is hard to see a “red line” between cultured Likudniks who continue traditions of Jabotynsky (i.e. moderate fascism) like Rivlin and raving maniacs like Ben-Ari.

In any case, there is Zionism piano, the story about nice people eking their living in cafes close to the sea shore, cultivating arts, sciences and gay parades, and Zionist forte, the story of kicking ass and ruling from the shores of Mediterranean to the slopes of Zagros mountains. Admirably feisty folks getting ready for the second Battle of Gaugamela.

• MRW on September 17, 2012, 7:50 pm

So if I am “half-Jewish” I am “half-Geller”?! Why!

Pretty funny. ;-)

Half-Geller sounds like a wrestling move.

9. Mayhem on September 17, 2012, 7:40 pm

It is generally useful to pursue a rigid, steadfast policy that will not tolerate dissenting points of view.
    Road blocks and other obstacles on the way can slow the wheels of the propaganda wagon so bypass them whenever possible.
    Also demean the source of the material, lambast the author.
    It will all help to get to the goal of having everyone succumbing that you are right because you insist that you are and nobody bothers to disagree any more because whatever they say is ignored.

• annie on September 17, 2012, 11:16 pm

the fundamental issue was a racist cover on newsweek. nobody deflected from that, there was a bright light shone upon it.

• Mooser on September 18, 2012, 1:29 pm

“When something comes out that you don’t like, change the subject to deflect attention from the fundamental issue.”

Mayhem, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet! Why didn’t you guys listen to all the people who were warning you about this stuff as far back as 1920?
      But if you are bothered by it, write out your complaint, and put it in the circular file over there. Some one will get to it.

10. Max Blumenthal on September 18, 2012, 1:34 am

Denis is not painting Jews with a broad brush. He’s just saying that I am in league with Jeffrey Goldberg. I feel like throwing a “collective shoe.”

• Mooser on September 18, 2012, 12:36 pm

“Denis is not painting Jews with a broad brush. He’s just saying that I am in league with Jeffrey Goldberg.”

Mr. Blumenthal, you don’t have to be “in league” with Jeffrey Goldberg for Goldberg to use you. Every time you display journalistic courage, integrity and decency in your principles, and in your writing about Zionism and Israel Jeffrey Goldberg gets to use it, to borrow (well, steal actually) it, and it becomes his whether you like it or not.
      More than one person has smiled and told me, after I tried to explain the evils of Zionism, ‘that as long as there are Jews like you, aware of the injustice and eager to fix it, I’m not going to worry too much, I’m sure you’ll take care of it.’

• Mooser on September 18, 2012, 1:22 pm

Sorry, I’ve got a real paucity of sports metaphors, it took a while: the term I’m looking for is “running interference”.

11. NickJOCW on September 18, 2012, 5:31 am

The Hegelian solution would be actively and vociferously to condemn all anti-ethnicism, not least the anti-Arab venom swirling around today. Else people will one day feel that if it was OK to express such generalised feelings about Arabs, why not anyone else? As for lumping people together, it is not that long ago the French were suddenly on the receiving end with their wine being poured into NY gutters and I can’t even remember what set it off.

Sorry for an off topic, but was there any message of condolence from Netanyahu on the death of Christopher Stevens and the others?

• Mooser on September 18, 2012, 12:39 pm

“it is not that long ago the French were suddenly on the receiving end with their wine being poured into NY gutters”

Ah ha! So that’s why I woke up on 57th Street, facing up with my mouth still open. I knew there had to be a good reason for it. After all, I’ve never been to a wine-tasting before.

• philweiss on September 18, 2012, 1:02 pm

you were out here and you didn’t call!?? boychik!

• Mooser on September 18, 2012, 1:24 pm

Well, if you call an evening on the pavement and a day in jail “out here” I guess I should apologise for my poor manners. I needed my one phone call to get bailed out.

• NickJOCW on September 18, 2012, 2:43 pm

• Mooser on September 18, 2012, 7:02 pm

“Mooser, my dear, obscuring your fatalism with such wit renders one quite helpless.”

Believe me, I know, I know! But it’s way too late for me to change myself.