Coming Soon: A new Mondoweiss

Site News
newmondoweiss

Screenshot of the new Mondoweiss

Hi everyone. Those of you who have been with us for the past 8 years years have enjoyed a few different versions of our website. It’s time again for a new Mondoweiss.

Monday morning Mondoweiss will relaunch with a brand new design. Over the past year we’ve seen strong growth in our readership — meaning higher traffic and more impact in the conversations around the events in Israel/Palestine and the broader Middle East. With that in mind we worked with talented designers to build a site that will help us grow the high quality independent reporting and analysis you have come to depend on.

You can see a sneak preview of the new Mondoweiss in the photo above. This design will not only look better and be more user friendly, it also allows us to more easily develop the site, incorporate new functionality and improve the overall performance. We have big plans for the future of Mondoweiss, the personal blog Phil launched over eight years ago now sees tens of thousands of visitors every day.

This redesign is a key part of those plans, but so are you, our readers and community members. Running a website of this scale requires substantial resources, both in terms of people and technology costs. Thanks to everyone who gave to our summer fundraising drive and if you didn’t please consider making a tax-deductible donation today to help us continue to bring you the excellent reporting you need. You can click the link above or right here to visit our donation page. Once there you have the option of giving one time, or making recurring donations. We appreciate all the support from current and future supporters!

As is always the case with these things, this website relaunch will not be without some rockiness and we’ll really appreciate your patience. Although we’re confident in the new Mondoweiss site, there will be features from the current site that will not be present on the new site. Please bear with us! There will be ample opportunity for you to let us know what features you want or miss on the new site.

We’ll see you on Monday!

Adam Horowitz

Adam Horowitz is Co-Editor of Mondoweiss.net.

1. on August 22, 2014, 5:51 pm

You are making a difference.

2. Citizen on August 22, 2014, 6:34 pm

I wonder what present features/functions will be missing on Monday?

3. Anon y Mouse on August 22, 2014, 6:55 pm

Please don’t neglect mobile.

My specific concern: The “Featured” articles appear on top, some times for the entire first page, and I have to work pretty hard to find out if there are new posts on the site when using my cell phone.

Thanks for all the great work you do!

• Pixel on August 22, 2014, 9:08 pm

in re: MOBILE site

…hoping an “EDIT” button can be added to the comments, like the ones on the online site.

i make LOTS of mistakes.

4. Bob_Salad on August 22, 2014, 7:08 pm

Can’t begin to tell you just how informative and instructive this site has been in developing my understanding of the I/P conflict. A true cornerstone for the Palestinian Solidarity movement and a credit to the alternative media platforms, which an ever increasing number of us are now turning to.

Onwards and upwards Mondoweiss.

Free Palestine.

5. Philip Munger on August 22, 2014, 7:51 pm

I’ve been following Mondoweiss since the beginning. To celebrate your newest upcoming iteration, I plan on making a donation. You cannot be thanked enough, though.

6. eGuard on August 22, 2014, 8:25 pm

I’m anxious and glad to see the “We Jews” approach dropped! Great! Of course that will not be without some rockiness — that’s what it is about. And since I read this site some 6 years already, waiting and asking for this change, my patience has proven.

7. Justpassingby on August 23, 2014, 3:05 am

You could have some banner ads on the site to generate some money.

8. amigo on August 23, 2014, 6:11 am

A donation from me next week.

Thanks for all the hard work done by all those who make MW possible.

9. seafoid on August 23, 2014, 8:24 am

Could you set up a facility for automatic regular donations ? I have such arrangements for other sites that make a difference and I think it’s more effective than the hit and miss of opportunistic donations.

• annie on August 23, 2014, 8:54 am

seafoid, if you check out the donation page https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/1429849?uniqueID=634437334835280817 there is a feature to do that. after the 1st question “Choose your donation amount” it asks “How often do you want to make your donation?” and the options are

One Time Monthly Quarterly Annual

as far as i know, that option has always been available. once i signed up for $25 a month for a year. it was easier for me than donating a one time fee of $300, which seemed huge to me at the time.

• seafoid on August 23, 2014, 9:06 am

Cheers Annie

I was not aware of that.

10. Mary T on August 23, 2014, 8:43 am

I have made a small donation and look forward to the new Mondoweiss. I just recently discovered MW and am grateful for it; I learn as much (or more) from the comments as I do from the articles. Thank you.

11. Justpassingby on August 23, 2014, 8:47 am

Have you or the design team made any research on what visitor on MW might want from this site?

• seafoid on August 23, 2014, 9:08 am

I’d love an analysis of hasbara memes by theme.

• annie on August 23, 2014, 9:30 am

jpb, i am not aware of us doing any “research” per se other than hearing from our readers who contact us. you mentioned earlier you were “actually about to give some funds to Mondoweiss in the beginning of August but aslong as my comments always lag behind I cannot do that”. but had you visited the donation page you’d have notice there’s a box/option that asks “If you have a special purpose for your donation, please let us know.”

i’m sure those requests are taken into consideration, along with readers who just write us. and on the bright side, all of our readers enjoy the benefits of those who support the site with donations. so anyone can visit and or continue commenting (including you) and enjoying the services others have funded for as long as they like, for free.

one more thing, the site would be much different if we didn’t have readers who sent us tips all the time. and often readers will write us and ask, can you write about this event? and send us stuff. so we do asses those emails and then often cover those events/topics. that impacts the content of our site everyday.

as a matter of fact that reminds me. someone sent me something yesterday..i better get on it so it will be ready for todays publication. gotta go.

• Justpassingby on August 23, 2014, 10:43 am

Annie
        Yes what I mean was just how important user-feedback is, you dont redo a site without actually hearing what the crowd wants/needs/seeks.

• annie on August 24, 2014, 12:19 am

you dont redo a site without actually hearing what the crowd wants/needs/seeks.

do you have supporting link for that? or is that your opinion? because as far as i know, technically one can. i don’t think there’s any law against it. and i seriously doubt the publisher would support any idea for upgrading the site that would result in losing a lot of traffic. and one of the reasons we don’t have much advertising is so that we are not beholden to advertisers. so actually i don’t think what you said is accurate. i think as long as we stay within the limits of the law and our budget we can change the design or formatting however we want, and publish whatever we want. this is not a majority rule website where everyone who reads necessarily has their ideas or feelings taken into consideration. but like i said, there is a comment box on the donation page that states “If you have a special purpose for your donation” to let us know. or you can always write phil, adam and scott. or write me and i’ll pass it along. and i bet if someone gave us 50k and asked that comments be left on for 3 days instead of 2 it might happen.

i can’t answer how important reader feedback is. since only about .1% of our readers comment we don’t hear from readers unless they write in. but it does occur to me you could do some research of your own if you’re interested. make a survey and put it out there you want to hear from 10’s of thousands of our readers and have them answer the survey. then give us the results and and see what happens. but, for example, if we have a thousand people like mj rosenberg who thought our comment section was anti semitic and lobbied really hard to have it shutdown..i would fight against that and my voice would probably count for more than a 1000 of them. or what if lots of our readers wanted us to start being more ‘balanced’ about the lobby. and start publishing a variety of articles by liberal zionists. would we take that into consideration? probably not. at least i would hope not. i think our traffic depends on us doing more of what we’re doing. of course i would live a full time staff just to handle the moderation and never have the threads close. but the higher ups might think it’s more important to fund more journalism.

there’s strong evidence most of our traffic comes from the articles vs the comment section. that’s because an article with 40 comments can easily get 20 times more traffic as an article with 200 comments. personally, i love the comment section. but we have people here who rarely visit it, and that includes people on staff. the bottom line, is the 99%. not the one. and, if we got a 1000 emails in one week about one issue, we’d probably write about it or deal with it or something.

as an aside i thought i’d mention over the last year our traffic has grown steadily so we’re probably doing something right. that traffic has been growing consistently for years.

i’ve been able to visit and test the new site. it’s already functioning. and i did send in questions or any snags i happened to see. but it looks great, very professional. it’s not a fly by night operation. and we’ll still have our archives, our about page with our emails so readers can write in with suggestions questions. which reminds me…

so, i think it may very well be true that we did in fact redo a site without actually researching what ‘the crowd’ (which includes 10’s of thousands of people) wants/needs/seeks. we are who we are, and hopefully the crowd that likes the kind of coverage we offer, will come.

• Justpassingby on August 24, 2014, 4:09 am

Annie

No this absolutly not something I have made up, its a well known fact for designers but since you apparently have used some feedback from the users in this new design I am sure there will be no problems. Looking forward to see it!

• jon s on August 23, 2014, 2:40 pm

Please consider my suggestion that commenters be allowed to upload photos. Subject to the usual moderation: relevant to the topic, inoffensive, etc.

• annie on August 24, 2014, 1:07 am

jon, did you send that idea to adam?

• jon s on August 24, 2014, 3:18 am

I assumed that Adam reads the blog, including “comments policy”.

12. AdamAW on August 23, 2014, 6:40 pm

Thanks so much guys! The new design looks great! Deep respect and gratitude to you for providing this invaluable service.

13. lonely rico on August 24, 2014, 7:56 am

Thanks to you all for this outstanding site – fine reporting, analysis, feedback, and occasionally comic relief from the ongoing I/P tragedy.
    I’m curious to know where the photo (BDS) was taken ?