‘Continuance of state of Israel’ is in crisis, Booker says– and Congress OKs another $225 million

News

Yesterday the Congress and Senate voted to give Israel $225 million more in aid for its rocket-defense program. One of the sponsors of the bill is New Jersey Senator Cory Booker.

This is hard to watch. Booker calls on the country to support Israel without a word to say on behalf of Palestinians. The true cause of the crisis is Hamas, which is causing the killings of civilians so as to “rack up casualties.”

“This is unacceptable, this is unacceptable, and this is unacceptable.”

The stentorian tone, the attempts at moral flights, the bunching and punching of fingers in the air– they all fell flat for me. It feels like end times preaching: Booker seems to believe what Scott Stringer, NY comptroller believes, that Israel’s survival is at stake. It’s losing legitimacy in the eyes of the world. So he must affirm that legitimacy. Some of his language:

Right now we are in a state of crisis, and American’s voice must be resolute… A terrorist organization has evil ends, to destroy the state of Israel. We must stand with our ally. We must stand with the state of Israel…. And therefore I support this expenditure, and I continue a resolute and unwavering and unequivocal support of the continuance of the state of Israel.

MJ Rosenberg called Booker “AIPAC’s shill,” in posting this speech. And I’d point out, remember Ned Lamont who took on Senator Joe Lieberman in Connecticut and almost won in 2006? He went over to Gaza not long ago to help the people out, with Mercy Corps. No wonder he didn’t make it into the Senate.

Seafoid also posted this speech.

Philip Weiss

1. just on August 2, 2014, 1:39 pm

Ned Lamont! (boy, did I work hard to get him elected and Joe L. defeated for all of the right reasons)

As for the US Senate and Cory Booker… there are no polite words that I can write about any of them.

I made all of my phone calls, and apparently every one of my words fell on deaf ears.

2. tokyobk on August 2, 2014, 1:43 pm

Ned is a great guy and would have been a good senator or governor which he also lost (I won though because I met my wife at a fundraiser I held for NL) but that is not why he lost and in fact there is no real daylight between him and other US politicians on Israel:

“At this critical time in the Middle East, I believe that when Israel’s security is threatened, the United States must unambiguously stand with our ally to be sure that it is safe and secure. On this principle, Americans are united.” Ned Lamont 2006

Cory Booker is not a shill for AIPAC, he is AIPAC. (I swear some of the white liberals who run around bleating as fierce anti-racists can never actually imagine black people with their own minds-or is this an MJ disparagement of “goyim” agency in general? ).

• just on August 2, 2014, 2:06 pm

Congrats on meeting your wife at a good event in a great effort to elect a good man.

As to the Lamont’s statement that you cited– it was in 2006, before Israel’s 3 horrible genocidal wars on the Palestinians. Remember also who he was up against.

And this from wiki:

“On July 30, The Sunday Times reported that former President Bill Clinton was believed to have warned Lieberman not to run as an independent if he lost the primary to Lamont.[11] Throughout the election, Lamont significantly funded his own campaign, with donations exceeding $12.7 million,[12] as he had pledged not to accept money from lobbyists.[13]”

Lamont’s action in Gaza and with Mercy Corps speaks volumes, while Booker’s voice is more dangerous AIPAC hasbara in support of genocidal maniacs in Israel. Your point about Booker being AIPAC is good one, imho.

• Donald on August 2, 2014, 2:10 pm

Lamont sided with Israel in a July 31 2006 interview with Colbert, when the war in Lebanon was going on. That was much like this war (though this current war has surpassed it) with claims of human shields excusing Israeli bombing. The bulk of the dead were civilians killed by Israel.

I like Lamont from what I can see, but his stance then just illustrates the usual theme of this blog, that the Lobby can pressure even good people to say stupid things if they have political ambitions–

Colbert interview July 31 2006

I think the Israel part is at about 5:30 in the tape.

I found out about all this from an entry at this blog–

Balloon Juice

• just on August 2, 2014, 2:35 pm

I learn things here every single day. Thanks Donald.

• Donald on August 2, 2014, 2:15 pm

“Cory believes in his heart everything that AIPAC people believe and acts accordingly. ”

Maybe so, but that doesn’t speak well of him. You’re right about Lamont, though–he was in Israel’s corner during the Lebanon War and if he were in the Senate he’d be like the rest of them. It’s crazy to think otherwise, unless someone has secret inside info that he was planning on coming out as a Palestinian sympathizer once he got in. Politicians do what they have to do to get into office and stay there. He’s a better man for losing.

• Keith on August 2, 2014, 4:49 pm

TOKYOBK- “Cory believes in his heart everything that AIPAC people believe and acts accordingly. Deal with him on that level, not as if he is just carrying water. That is the telegram from reality for those who want it.”

The same goes for Obama. Those who believe that these guys are basically do-gooders just waiting to break free from lobby pressure are only deceiving themselves. As I predicted before the last election, once Obama was free to be himself, he would be worse. And he is. I provide a short quote from an article well worth reading:

The US Empire and the now-international Israel lobby are in a tightly woven symbiotic relation. They are inseparable.” (Denis Rancourt)

• tokyobk on August 2, 2014, 7:10 pm

I actually have a different read on Obama (who I don’t know at all) than Cory (who I do know). I think that Obama is a but more pressured and probably would be more like the guy Ali Abunimah knew in Chicago if he could. I also think Obama cares really about 2 things. 1) his family. 2) winning if he is in a competition. That is about it. Obama is no Bill Clinton when it comes to being deeply invested in an issue or working late into the night on it (i.e. living breathing policy 24/7). But, again that is just speculation. In the case of CB, again, he is very much his own man on this issue to the core of it.

• Citizen on August 3, 2014, 10:33 am

Bill Clinton is no different than Cory. They both bow to the power of AIPAC to make their present and future life comfortable, or not. The only difference is Clinton is more intelligent, the cunning is the same.

• Citizen on August 3, 2014, 10:28 am

The slaughter in Gaza could be stopped today. It won’t be. It’s AIPAC’s war; just read what a former AIPAC honcho says:

3. MTd2 on August 2, 2014, 2:04 pm

There were 8 that voted against. Who are they? I cannot find the information.

• just on August 2, 2014, 7:22 pm

“WASHINGTON (AP) — Congress approved a $225 million package to replenish Israel’s missile defenses with its last order of business before a five-week recess, as the Jewish state’s cease-fire with Hamas unraveled and Israeli forces pushed deep into Gaza in search of a missing army officer.

The House’s 395-8 vote in favor late Friday followed Senate adoption of the legislation by voice vote earlier in the day. The money is directed toward restocking Israel’s Iron Dome, which has been credited with shooting down dozens of incoming rockets fired by Palestinian militants over 3½ weeks of war. The bill now goes to President Barack Obama for his signature.

Voting against the measure in the House were Democrats Keith Ellison of Minnesota, Zoe Lofgren of California, Beto O’Rourke of Texas and Jim Moran of Virginia, and Republicans Justin Amash of Michigan, Walter Jones of North Carolina, Thomas Massie of Kentucky and Mark Sanford of South Carolina.”

4. eGuard on August 2, 2014, 4:19 pm

Please stop using MJ Rosenberg as a quality stamp. The Zionist is still opposing BDS by mongering fear, and still has not made excuses for smearing Ali Abunimah.

• Citizen on August 3, 2014, 10:39 am

MJ Rosenberg blocks those who disagree on Twitter with any of his take on events re I-P Conflict & US “special relationship” with Israel. OTH, he’s often very correct, for example, he says the slaughter in Gaza is rooted in AIPAC; it’s AIPAC’s war:

• Citizen on August 3, 2014, 10:56 am

MJ Rosenberg:
        “The South African apartheid analogy, repeatedly cited in the BDS document, does not apply. It was the South African apartheid regime that was abolished, not the country known as the Republic of South Africa. If the BDS goals were achieved, there would be no State of Israel at all.”

This is a key to where Rosenberg is at. If there was a 1 state solution, as happened in S Africa, thanks to Mandela, the one state, call it Israel or not, would still exist. If we abolish the apartheidesque regime in Israel, the state and all its people will both still exist. He’s conflating the potential state of Israel with equal rights with the current discriminatory Zionist Jewish state. He makes no sense here. Whites in S Africa either conceded majority rule, or they left S Africa. Rosenberg wants to keep Jewish rule. I understand him, but he’s not being intellectually honest, and he needs to see his own logical defects when ruminating about S Africa solution v Israel solution. He just can’t make the leap to see any Jew or Jewish Israeli as a racist, or ethnic chauvinist, or supporter of might over right. But his most recent post does post the blame on what’s happening in Gaza directly on AIPAC. He should know, since he use to work for AIPAC.

5. HarryLaw on August 2, 2014, 4:24 pm

Yes its pathetic, another bought and paid for Israeli shill, singing for his supper.

6. Another Steve on August 2, 2014, 11:54 pm

Well, God bless Ned Lamont!

I gotta say, I was never all that impressed with him, but now I’ll revise my opinion.