Our new look

Media AnalysisSite News

newtitle

Maybe you noticed our new look? We launched it this morning. It’s the product of months of work by Crowd Favorite and puts the site on a bold new platform, giving us a newsier and more professional appearance. The site has a greater emphasis on photos than before. And more emphasis on fresh news too. Plus we think it’s a lot easier to read.

As Adam said the other day, we think the site will not only look better and be more user friendly, but the redesign will allow us to more easily develop the site, incorporate new functionality and improve the overall performance. We’re ambitious to change the conversation about Israel and Palestine; and the new look will help us do so.

The launch won’t be without bugs. A couple of features still aren’t figured out. But those will be smoothed out in days to come, and in the meantime, for regular users and new ones, we hope you agree that this is a great improvement. Though yes, a bit of a shock. Change is good!

Please share your thoughts in the comment section. Thanks!

Philip Weiss

1. sky7i on August 25, 2014, 4:43 pm

It’s beautiful, as if Anna Baltzer and your web server had a baby together…

• talknic on September 3, 2014, 5:09 pm

Sorry guys. I’d have thought Mondo’s criteria would be to inform. White space and style is not informative nor does it add to practicability. At the current ratio of white space to pale text it’s like looking for a white rabbit in a snow field.

Likewise the left hand icons for email, twitter etc and helper text. It’s almost as though you don’t want them to be seen because they’ll interfere with the white space style

The top of the opening page is predominantly white space and an un-necesarilly large picture but virtually NO INFORMATION! There could be two, three or four photos and corresponding blocks of INFORMATION in the same space, before the need to scroll.

Same for each item page. An overdose of header white space and over sized top photos/picture but not much information.

Once comments have been added there’s no ‘add a comment’ facility at the top. One has to physically scroll all the way to the bottom. Adding an ‘add a comment’ and Top & Bottom buttons is simple.

Highlighting text to copy is a practical issue. It’s almost indistinguishable. The highlight color is a practicality that does not interfere with reading (or precious white space). Changing to a darker color is simple.

Quite frankly, a waste of space, waste of time and waste of money.

2. seafoid on August 25, 2014, 5:03 pm

I think you should have a sixth button to do with the crisis in Judaism. Maybe colour it black.

• Anonymous on August 26, 2014, 8:11 am

LOL! Well, I don’t know about colouring it black, but a tab for zionism/judaism would be good.

3. Eva Smagacz on August 25, 2014, 5:03 pm

I found one small bug so far: I cannot tweet the story: the story information does not carry onto tweeter, the new post window does not even open. On the other hand, putting the story on Facebook works correctly. I am using ipad

4. Keith on August 25, 2014, 5:15 pm

PHIL- “And more emphasis on fresh news too.”

I noticed that the “100 most recent comments” does not appear on the new format. Does your new “emphasis on fresh news” indicate a de-emphasis on comments?

• marc b. on August 25, 2014, 6:00 pm

I noticed that too, Keith, as well as many recent posts where the ‘reply’ button just disappears.

• Sibiriak on August 25, 2014, 11:12 pm

“100 most recent comments” — please put it back in!!

• Keith on August 26, 2014, 11:05 am

MARC-B, SIBIRIAK- Based upon other criticisms, I became aware that we can no longer copy and paste from either the article or the other comments. This is a radical de-emphasis of the comments section and a significant departure from the past emphasis on comments to promote discussion, etc. Only time will tell if this new approach works for them to better achieve their objectives. This will definitely discourage Mondoweiss from continuing, at least to some degree, as a de facto social network. As I have always maintained, it is their website and they have an obligation to themselves and their funders to do what they need to do in order to achieve their objectives. Good luck to them and their new format.

• Danaa on August 26, 2014, 4:06 pm

Keith – I think it’s really high time to look for other venues and options to carry on discussions. Personally, I am too frustrated by the two day limit to enter any comment – what’s the point? be a megaphone? if that’s what I wanted I’d just send in a post or have my own blog. The engagements with others is what made the comments section a vibrant part of Mondoweiss – perhaps too vibrant for the taste of some and/or too demanding on moderators’ time.

There are excellent options out there for a “mirror” site where discussions can be conducted without artificial time limits. Unfortunately, one or more people must be highly motivated to put this together, unless there is a group effort where everyone will have “duty shift”.

Personally, I think it’s essential to have such an “echo chamber”. Clearly people are clamoring to meet with, discuss and debate the issues with other somewhat like-minded people (OK, “like-minded” other than the Chomsky battles – but that’s like a necessary ritual, isn’t it? the willingness to fight over Chomsky).

I wonder what people’s thoughts are about something like this. I am willing to contribute my share because I think it’s important to discuss the issues and personally, I have learned so much from other commenters that time would not suffice in the day to list them all.

Mondoweiss does well in what it does. I don’t want to spend time whining over what the blog does not want to do. They have an important role to fulfill and I support their quest to become more professional – no matter what I end up doing it’ll be great to have a place I can link for so many relevant articles. They don’t awe me a place where i can interject, opine or whine. So if I or others want one we should get off our collective behinds and do something.

Feed-back please (assuming the thread doesn’t freeze)?

• Walid on August 26, 2014, 9:27 pm

Danaa, I share your frustration about the limiting of back and forth discussions. I think comments are welcomed here mostly in response to the newsy articles themselves rather than to other comments put forward by commenters. There’s actually nothing wrong with that aspiration as it would make for interesting dialogue except for the fact that authors of articles here seldom get into direct discussions with commenters; one of the very few pleasant exceptions is David Samel that graciously responds directly to many comments to his pieces, another is Annie. To comment on an opinion article and not get a response, as with Prof Ellis, is like talking to oneself or to a wall.

About the time delay to see your post published, after having waited over 30 hours to have my comments published on the new-look Mondo, I was beginning to feel that I had overstayed my welcome here. I’m hoping it’s just a temporary glitch in the new system.

• Pixel on August 28, 2014, 3:10 pm

I thought I’d overstayed my welcome, too. Ha!

Today, I’m not getting hours of the “awaiting moderation” notice.

Whew.

• MRW on August 26, 2014, 11:25 pm

You make a good point, Danaa. I’ve been on this site for years. Waaay before Walt and Mearsheimer published their first article in the LRB (pre-book). I was on Phil’s NY Observer blog before he was fired by that shitty little putz.

I know all the old-timers here. Sometimes, I want a couple of days to think about things WHILE I AM LIVING THE REST OF MY LIFE. I come back and replies are closed. Hunh? I don’t see the reason to shut off comments when a generating post is four home screens back and no one is noticing, I remember one Christmas when Citizen and I went back and forth about the Tyendinaga Mohawk contribution to the US Constitution for days, and in the middle of the night. (This is something that JeffB is wrong about when he says that America is Protestant. The preamble to the Constitution is Indian.) Citizen thought I was nutz, so he did the google search thing for 36 hours, and we had a great conversation. This was before Google changed their algorithm drastically in Feb 2011, and you could actually find shit.

• German Lefty on August 27, 2014, 6:39 am

I totally agree. To me, the comments on this site are at least as important and enlightening as the articles. That’s why I think that there should be equal emphasis on articles and comments.
        What I also miss are the direct links to comments. Previously, when I clicked on the date of a comment, I got the link to the comment.
        Furthermore, I miss the list of articles sorted by date. When I visit Mondoweiss after a few days of abstinence, then I like to see all recent articles in one list without having to click through the categories. I have never actually used the categories.
        The invisible highlighting of texts sucks, too.
        The new design looks better, but looks aren’t everything. I miss the functions of the old design.
        As I already stated in previous posts, I would really like to be able to rate comments.

• Kathleen on August 27, 2014, 9:11 am

I agree about the closing down a thread to comments. Oh and the great links that folks provide often to information that has not been tapped into by the great Mondoweiss team. The research of others so worthwhile.

Phil and team while driving my 86 year old mother from Ohio to Colorado this summer subjected myself and others in car to Rush Limbaugh (driver gets to pick the radio station) for some hours. Have done this to myself for years. Every hour there is a short segment about how Israel is under attack by the media. How the MSM is now portraying Hamas and Israel as “moral equivalents” They play a clip of Allen Dershowitz ranting. Yep while travelling across Missouri heard this segment six times.

• Keith on August 27, 2014, 5:39 pm

DANAA- I have mixed emotions about what you suggest. For starters, I have a free blogspot (access through my profile or go to http://saskck.blogspot.com/ ) in which I have posted 39 mini essays over a 4 year period with extremely limited legitimate comment feedback. Most of the “comments” are robospam. Obviously, I am not in high demand. In fact, I remain grateful that I have not been booted off Mondoweiss.

And while I enjoy discussing current events, I have been relatively unsuccessful in starting local “in the flesh” discussion groups. I have reservations about any sort of electronic community which seeks to develop an alternative cyber reality to compensate for the real thing. On Mondoweis, I try to maintain a certain intellectual distance. Even though I like many of my fellow commenters, I don’t want to be part of a social network.

Finally, the comments section of Mondoweiss is as successful as it is because of the excellent (and expensive) program features and because of all of the time and effort that Phil and Adam and Annie and the others have put in, something which I am incapable of even coming close to duplicating. I have gotten a lot more out of Mondoweiss than I have put in (my modest financial contributions notwithstanding) and would be selfish to expect them to keep working their butts off for my benefit. They need to make whatever changes they feel are necessary.

The bottom line? I’m going to wait and see how all of these changes work out after the necessary debugging. I will likely continue to make at least some comments. I am open to alternatives, however, in regards to something like Sean McBride’s “friend feed,” I don’t do social media at all.

• Danaa on August 27, 2014, 11:25 pm

Thanks for the reply and the sincerity, Keith (and Walid and MRW too). I do understand the issues all too well and believe that Walid, for example, also knows a thing or two about keeping discussion groups going. Tough road to hoe – that’s for sure. I also realize that time investment is a deterrent to many, especially if one were to get too ambitious.

Still, my thoughts were along a pure “mirror” site, as opposed to an original “forum”, meaning it would be something to catch the traffic that “spills over’ from MW due to threads being timed out, which to me is the most frustrating part of the comments boards. That and the length of time in moderation though I totally understand the limitations there.

Friend Feed is one very simple option, as you say, and Sean has opened his feed just for that purpose, though now it catches lots of additional material. Unfortunately, FF has its limitations – like the lack of paragraphs and html features – making it all very “text like”. Some like their stuff formatted, others care less. But it is very transparent and instantaneous. Unfortunately, its very simplicity is a downside in that it’s impossible to say, ban someone from posting, and we all know the problem with trolls on all sides of the fence.

Anyways, there are other options out there, and I’m just trying to hash things over – mulling them over in my mind. As I said in my post, and I know you agree, Phil and Adam don’t “owe” us a comment section that will be to our exact liking. God only knows they come under criticism for having one at all (just check out MJRosenberg’s twit on that). My worry is that the “great schism” in the jewish American citizenry and the coming estrangement between parts of the world jewry (I refuse to use the word “diaspora” any more) and israel (also coming) will not be a gentle one. It’ll be more of a rupture I’m afraid and the level of nastiness that would bubble to the surface will be substantial. Efforts will be made to clamp down on public feed-back on lots of boards and worse. We should never assume that there is going to be a genteel separation, or that Phil and Adam are superhuman in being able to resist any and all pressure, so I’m merely anticipating a turn for the worse and would hate to lose track of the many good people who post comments here.

None of this should be construed as whining because the web site changes its appearance, whatever my own preferences. Like everyone else I am very thankful and appreciative that the Mondoweiss space has existed all this time and that efforts are made to make it better still.

• Keith on August 28, 2014, 1:24 pm

DANNA- As usual, I am in agreement with what you say. I would add, however, that the schism you refer to transcends Jews, Jewishness and Judaism. We have entered a transition period on the road to neo-feudalism which will likely result in global social upheavals with a significant chance of social collapse and the possibility of terminal nuclear war. This is possibly the most significant juncture in human history as empire attempts to destroy any and all potential competitors. Certainly worth discussing if one can read the keyboard through the tears.

On the bright side, your comment has inspired me to devise a potential initial vehicle for extended discussion of Mondoweiss topics. The idea is rather simple. First, you need to get your very own Blogspot. It is free and easy to set up. When making a comment to Mondoweiss, first post the comment to your blogspot using the title of the article as your title (assuming that is okay with Mondoweiss, inc.). Lead off with a link to the article for easy reference to the article/discussion. In posting to Mondoweiss, drop the Mondo link and at the bottom of your comment add a link to your blogspot post. Even after the Mondo comments close, your link will take people to your comment where they can comment. You will not be able to moderate per se, however, you can delete offensive comments, label as spam, etc. Blogspot e-mails you notification of comments you receive to your various posts. They also put stuff in a spam folder, so check that as well.

Are you ready for a trial run? Below is a link to this comment which I have posted on my blogspot. You can click on and comment there. No need for the Mondoweiss moderators to get involved.

• seanmcbride on August 28, 2014, 3:32 pm

Keith,

Doesn’t Blogspot offer RSS feeds?

Btw, I posted your blog entry to Mondoweiss on Friendfeed here:

where it can be discussed at any level of depth and for any length of time.

• Danaa on August 29, 2014, 5:18 am

Keith, I’ll try and see how easy (or hard) this is. I think I already got confused.

• marc b. on August 26, 2014, 4:53 pm

Keith, I share your hysteria, but some of what you write is wrong. you can copy and paste. the highlight is just a weak, urine yellow, so you don’t have the sensation it’s doing what it does.

• Mooser on August 26, 2014, 5:39 pm

Now I don’t know this for sure, but sometimes functions like depth of comments, access to archives are weak during a switchover, and will attain full functionality when the changeover is complete. And then there’s all those other platforms the site must work in. It can take a week or two.

• Pixel on August 28, 2014, 3:13 pm

Mooser,

You’re the voice of reason.

• W.Jones on August 27, 2014, 12:37 am

<>~ Marc B. ______________ Maybe Marc is using a Mac or some other computer settings, but I am seeing nothing even with my face inches away from my screen.

• Mooser on August 27, 2014, 6:14 pm

W. Jones, it is indeed, very difficult to see the highlight. Nearly impossible in high room light. I’m sure they will switch to a higher-denisty color.

• Keith on August 26, 2014, 5:07 pm

I was wrong about the cut and paste. The highlight is so pale as to be virtually unnoticable but the function works. Unfortunately, a link to the copied text also comes. Oh well….

• seanmcbride on August 27, 2014, 9:28 am

Automatically including a link when copying text can often feel more like a bug than a feature — one is often forced to delete the link/clutter. That is a feature that one should be able to turn off.

• seanmcbride on August 27, 2014, 9:30 am

Also: I just tried to use CTRL-A to select and delete the text of the comment I was composing and replace it with new text — no go. That feature no longer works.

5. Maximus Decimus Meridius on August 25, 2014, 5:31 pm

• PeaceThroughJustice on August 25, 2014, 7:07 pm

“I also found it impossible to cut and paste text from the article to use in a comment.”

Actually you can highlight text to cut and past it; it’s just that the highlighting color is so pale it’s almost unnoticeable. (Also, the pasted text has that annoying “See more at … ” appended. Please get rid of this.

• Sheila Samples on August 25, 2014, 10:33 pm

I cannot copy and paste text either. Hope you get that fixed!

• amigo on August 26, 2014, 11:06 am

“I also found it impossible to cut and paste text from the article to use in a comment. – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2014/08/our-new-look.html#sthash.qTFVozNP.dpufMDM ,

I came across that too but when I selected text and proceeded as normal ,it worked.Only thing missing is the blue highlight on selected text .

Otherwise it works.Proof above.

Now if this is not held up in moderation , you will get this response.

6. eljay on August 25, 2014, 5:41 pm

I like the clean, elegant look. I don’t like the fact that the “100 Most Recent Comments” section is gone.

• eljay on August 25, 2014, 5:41 pm

Oh, yeah, that was the other thing: There’s no more option to “Edit” my post.

• piotr on August 25, 2014, 10:00 pm

This is a VERY bad thing.

• Sibiriak on August 25, 2014, 11:14 pm

Please put the Edit function back in.

• Citizen on August 26, 2014, 4:37 am

Yes, please reinstall the comment edit function.

• MRW on August 26, 2014, 11:12 pm

Restore the EDIT.function…especially for those with fat fingers who use an iPad, iPhone, or have Autocorrect on steroids that you don’t see until you ‘post comment”.

• W.Jones on August 27, 2014, 12:49 am

With no Edit function, Ritzl is really going to have a hard time tolerating my writing. The fact is, that it’s normal for people in the course of their writing to make spelling and grammar mistakes, or even to write things that should haven’t had been said. Often, the realization that one made those mistakes only comes after one has already submitted a post or piece of writing and then is checking it for even the second or third time.

It’s better than having no Delete button, but the Delete key has a reason for existing. It was such an improvement when Computers came out because one became enabled to correct one’s writing much more easily, even than those wonderful typewriters that were able to use an erase ckey.

7. Maximus Decimus Meridius on August 25, 2014, 5:55 pm

While we’re on the subject, any chance that the inconsistent moderating system – some comments languish in pre-mod for hours, while others are up within minutes – could get an overhaul too?

Pretty please?

• piotr on August 25, 2014, 10:04 pm

Perhaps there should be a price list. If you donated more that a bazillion dollars in the last 12 months, your comments should appear even before you have typed them. If you have donated a big bundle, immediately after typing. Then there would be a class that waits 10 minutes, and hour, and 24h for trolls who donated bupkes.

• Eva Smagacz on August 26, 2014, 4:23 am

I don’t like it, Piotr. You could have Sheldon A. doing a donation, and we could have troll flooding worse than with Richard Witty, although, I predict, just as thickly incomprehensible and resistant to reason.

• Citizen on August 26, 2014, 4:38 am

@ piotr
        So you don’t like net neutrality?

• piotr on August 28, 2014, 2:26 pm

It was a joke. However, moderating takes resources and presumably could be helped by donations.

The purchase of JPMorgan Chase’s air rights could pave the way for a roughly 385,000-square-foot tower on the Junior’s site, with as many as 50 stories. That would be just three stories shorter than the borough’s current record holder, the 53-story tower at 388 Bridge St., and one below the 51-story Brooklyner at 111 Lawrence St. The new building would likely house residential units and/or a hotel.

But after getting a bazillion dollars, Mondoweiss World Headquaters could be the prestigious anchor tenant of “Junior tower”, eventually named “Mondoweiss Building”, with apartments for the staff, penthouse for the Chief, hotel rooms for guests, auditorium for press conferences and and other meetings. A dedicated staff member would write comments of the anonymous bazillionaire (according to his or her guidlines). Is there anyone with a spare bazillion (100 million dollars?) who would enjoy Sheldon Adelson and his entire entourage in permanent conniptions?

• piotr on August 28, 2014, 2:29 pm

I guess the subsequent bazillion fund drive will enable “edit” to be restored.

• I realize that that was tongue-in-cheek, but I shudder to think of people’s ability to be heard at a site like this, as being determined in the same manner that the “university” of Illinois determines who can be heard.

Non-trolls, who are far too poor to donate money, but who care enough to inform themselves and try to speak out in support of equality and humanity, shouldn’t really be suppressed, should they?

If so, then what’s our problem with the status quo?

• W.Jones on August 27, 2014, 12:56 am

I meant to say:

There are sockpuppets that, in the course of their work, make donations to things they are against.

That thought would not normally occur to people working in Solidarity work, because probably most Solidarity organizations run on a shoestring budget. Even the biggest ones have minimal paid staff.

• Pixel on August 28, 2014, 3:16 pm

lol

• Mooser on September 1, 2014, 3:49 pm

“There are sockpuppets that, in the course of their work, make donations to things they are against “

I was going to get banned for lousy jokes, but then I made a contribution. Come to think of it, I better make another one. I’ve been using all the same jokes.

• Anonymous on August 26, 2014, 8:13 am

Yes to an adjustment to the inconsistent moderating system please.

• German Lefty on August 27, 2014, 6:41 am

Yes to an adjustment to the inconsistent moderating system please.

I agree. And the edit function needs to be back.

8. Kay24 on August 25, 2014, 6:20 pm

Congratulations Phil, Adam, Annie, and others, for the new look, and for an amazing job keeping us all updated and informed. This is one place I know I feel very much at home, knowing there are many here who are like minded, when it comes to the Israeli-Palestinian issue. I am impressed that members here have so much in depth knowledgeable and I am able to learn so much from them. Thanks to Mondoweiss, we are able to wake up every day, and learn what goes on in the occupied territories.
    I was happy to make a small contribution to MDW today, and look forward to reading all the interesting articles in your new format. Good luck to all.

9. peterfeld on August 25, 2014, 6:55 pm

Hmmm on the homepage I see three featured articles (which tend to linger in past practice, meaning not necessarily the freshest posts), then three more apiece under four different nav categories (which are probably more meaningful to editors than to readers)–and no longer any way to simply scroll back chronologically to be sure to catch every story. Seems that can be done by going through each of the nav categories in turn (although the labels like “Israel/Palestine” at the top of the stories aren’t clickable, I have to go back to the corresponding labels near the top) but that’s a recipe to miss things.

There should be a simple master chronological feed somewhere.

• German Lefty on August 27, 2014, 6:45 am

simply scroll back chronologically to be sure to catch every story […] the labels like “Israel/Palestine” at the top of the stories aren’t clickable, I have to go back to the corresponding labels near the top

YES! YES!

10. Jethro on August 25, 2014, 6:57 pm

It looks fantastic. So much more modern. I love the fonts particularly. Excellent work everyone.

Having a recent comments section is really outdated, but I think people are pining for it ( and I am one of them) because it’s impossible to go through a 100-comment thread you’ve already been through just to find the one or two new comments you want to read.

iOW, on the next iteration, can you figure out how to differentiate comments a user has already seen from new comments (like making them different colors, or compressing the already-read comments)?

I agree about moderation; it would be nice to have conversations closer to real-time. But I know that requires a whole lot more money, unless you go to a community moderation model, like DKos or something.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius on August 26, 2014, 3:43 pm

I remember on the ‘old’ format that unread comments were flagged in green. This was really helpful, especially on a page with a very long list of comments. It can be confusing and time consuming. to have to wade through a conversation trying to spot comments you haven’t read before.

• ritzl on August 26, 2014, 6:55 pm

Yes, and iirc you could also collapse old comments and leave the new ones expanded.

Maybe it’s coming. So much has been fleshed out for the better in the implementation in just the last day. Maybe that’s one of the “simplified development” features of the new blog engine.

• Jethro on August 26, 2014, 11:37 pm

Yes, I remember the green comments. But that only lasted a little while, right? I thought that was the best solution. Most recently I had been using the recent comments section ( or the Lat 100 comments page) to see the new comments in a thread, but that was not so great because you lost the flow of the thread. The slow moderation has the same effect– the flow of the thread is lost.

11. Jethro on August 25, 2014, 7:05 pm

Also, even though I’m logged in, in the tertiary navigation it says “log in,” rather than something like, “welcome Jethro, ” or “logged in as Jethro.”

12. Walid on August 25, 2014, 7:17 pm

A refreshing new look, congratulations. With the disappearance of “100 most recent comments” and the current posts along with the long gone green highlighted posts, how to spot the unread posts?

13. talknic on August 25, 2014, 7:51 pm

“Change is good!”

Change can be sh*te.
    This version is different.
    Unfortunately ‘different’ does not always mean improvement.
    IMPROVEMENT is good.

Apart from the obvious, No recent comments/No edit on comments…

Highlighting text to copy/cut colour is a PRACTICAL feature. It’s now almost imperceptible, which is impractical

Introduce easier/semi-automated formatting

14. Bumblebye on August 25, 2014, 8:32 pm

As well as really really wanting the 100 Most Recent back, I miss the right hand bar of the latest posts – now I have to go back to the main page to discover if there are new ones, instead of just refreshing.
    And it’s a bit confusing to have a handful of aged articles mixed in with the new! (I actually just hate change!)

• AbigailOK on August 26, 2014, 7:23 pm

I guess every new way of finding old things after things have changed comes down to this: It’s just a matter of getting used to it. In a few weeks time no one talks about all this anymore, unless

1. editing is put on hold (meaning impossible which is ridiculous) forever
      2. copy and paste cannot be done easier. I get a light pink color (light yellow? Wish it was true one of my favorites!) but something I don’t want to copy and paste also comes along …..

Otherwise: good luck with whatever idea the MW team had changing the outlook. It’s about the content for me not how it looks. I must say, the previous very large font has changed to “if you ain’t using glasses, MW will try to get you at least one pair” font.

Maybe I get used to that too. …..

• Mooser on August 26, 2014, 11:03 pm

You should be able to increase the type size on your machine. I found the type too small, and bumped it up. You may have the option of changing fonts, too.

• ckg on August 26, 2014, 11:23 pm

I believe on most browsers (I checked IE, Chrome, and Firefox), Ctrl + increases font size and Ctrl – decreases font size. The browser should remember the setting for the site.

15. Sycamores on August 25, 2014, 8:54 pm

congradulations to team Mondoweiss and Crowd Favorite the new platform is a credit to you all.
    change is good! it’s the essential part to evolving.

16. marc b. on August 25, 2014, 9:25 pm

Comment on fonts, etc. the light grey print and italicized print for long quotes are stylish but hard on middle-aged eyes. End of whine.

17. Mikhael on August 25, 2014, 9:59 pm

New look, no good.

No more edit function, no copy-and-paste.

The edit function was one of the few nice features about this blog.

• Sycamores on August 26, 2014, 1:19 am

Mikhael,

you can copy and paste, the problem is it doesn’t highlight what you are copying. i wonder is it a bad line of code or missing script in the programming.

• piotr on August 26, 2014, 11:06 am

I tested now, and in my Chrome (for MacOS) the highlight is pale yellow with white background, perhaps some browsers map that color to white (or it was changed?). If I do not anything to that comment, Edit is still not restored.

pasted:
        Maybe you noticed our new look? We launched it this morning. It’s the product of months of work by Crowd Favorite and puts the site on a bold new platform, giving us a newsier and more professional appearance. The site has a greater emphasis on photos – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2014/08/our-new-look.html#sthash.HDZH9Yee.dpuf

• Mikhael on August 27, 2014, 6:39 pm

I’ve noticed that there is now some very faint highlighting. All in all, annoying.

The lack of the edit function too is unfortunate. (I always catch typos and bad wording only after I post and have come to rely on that edit button.)

• Mooser on August 26, 2014, 11:23 am

“New look, no good.”

Yeah, it’s totally anti-Semantic. You can tell just by looking.

• W.Jones on August 27, 2014, 1:03 am

Yeah, it’s totally anti-Semantic. You can tell just by looking. – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2014/08/our-new-look.html/comment-page-1#comment-705808

Were it to be more word-friendly, it would allow an edit function, because people often make mistakes. But then, love your people while you still have them, as Ma always said. While having an array of commentors may bring a lot of attention of all kinds to the site, it also means that the site has a lot of supporters- more than otherwise. Having a comment section at all means that people feel connected to the blog, even if they are not writers or editors.

In other words, while some critics may complain about commentors, putting pressure on the site, it means that the site also has more supporters interested in it than it would otherwise.

• Mooser on August 27, 2014, 6:19 pm

I think it’s going to take a while, a matter of about a week (?) to get it sorted, and add missing features.

• Pixel on August 28, 2014, 3:21 pm

@Mooser

lol

• AbigailOK on August 26, 2014, 7:27 pm

But often did not work too proper. If you were tired and had to …yes, happened to me I must admit….edit something thrice the unedited version was printed.
      #$#Q%#$%#$!!!!

• AbigailOK on August 26, 2014, 7:31 pm

What could maybe be changed for the better is the fact that if you reply underneath the one you want to reply to or comment on, lots of time your comment or reply gets shoves somewhere where it does not make any sense whatsoever without the original comment above it. That is so unprofessional and basically the stupidest thing on this site. In order to make sure it maybe might make sense still so you haven’t wasted your time completely you have to start with @….

Annoying and amateurish.

18. Donald on August 25, 2014, 9:59 pm

Not the faintest notion why this is supposed to be better. It’s different. I’ll get used to it.

As others have pointed out, the edit feature is missing. That’s a step backwards.

• Donald on August 26, 2014, 11:24 am

Someone else said this too–the type is too small. I can read it, but it’s on the edge of what is readable. On a kindle I’d immediately enlarge the type.

You can cut and paste and there is a highlight, but it’s a faint yellow.

I think the worst thing is that the articles for the last few days are no longer easily visible, all lined up so one can pick up one that I might have not read.

19. Pixel on August 25, 2014, 10:09 pm

FABULOUS!!!

1. Edit buttons in Comments (Desktop AND Mobile) Maybe “Preview” AND edit button ( like wearing a belt and suspenders at the same time.)

2. Maybe make sure there’s at least one open Blog piece in each category. All are closed under Activism, right now. I have no place to add this. Maybe someone can move it for me. :o)

University of Illinois Repeals the First Amendment for Its Faculty

20. Pixel on August 25, 2014, 10:14 pm

3. Maybe another category that has all the articles in one place, running down together like on the old site. Scroll, scroll, scroll ( I never missed a thing that way.)

4. At the bottom of some/all articles there’s something like this in bold, all run together. Maybe add a few spaces between each title?

‘The bra is a security threat’: Harassment and interrogation at Ben Gurion airport Israel to build security fence in the heart of the West Bank Apathy in Ramallah as negotiations with Israel dive Nighttime Israeli raid on Bir Zeit University yields — truck full of Hamas flags – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2014/08/palestinian-american-israels.html#sthash.Z3pbHVR1.dpuf

• annie on August 26, 2014, 12:54 am

thanks pixel. especially #3. for us dinosaurs it’s really nice just having a list rather than having to keep tracK (remember!!) what we’ve read – or not. and how can you tell what’s new, just been published if the lineup on the right isn’t reflective? maybe i’m just old fashion, but since we roll out new stuff all the time, it makes sense to be able to find it or identify the new posts.

and i was a little surprised today after reading one of our articles and having this bold print – that appeared to be the following paragraph. it didn’t take much time to figure out what is was, but a breathing space might be nice. especially for the writers who might not want it to appear as tho this was the last paragraph of their article.

• Peter in SF on August 26, 2014, 2:14 am

Yes, the old format was better with the chronological list of articles, newest on top, grouped by date. Now I look at the main page and don’t know what was posted when. Is it possible to get a chronological list of all articles? And I don’t know about other readers and commenters, but I never chose what to read based on the category keywords of “Israel/Palestine”, “Activism”, etc.

• Bandolero on August 26, 2014, 5:42 am

Peter

Is it possible to get a chronological list of all articles? – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2014/08/our-new-look.html/comment-page-1#comment-705519

I had the same problem. I just did my quick daily visit to MW to check for new articles – ugh.

As a workaround I use the feed for a “recent article” list:

mondoweiss.net/feed

For a list of recent comments I use the comment feed

mondoweiss.net/comments/feed

For a chronilogial list of comments to a specific article it also works

mondoweiss.net/2014/08/our-new-look.html/feed

What is likely a minor css bug quickly fixed is that there is no text highlighting for copy/paste. As a workaround I found out that switching off the style in Firefox makes highlighting work again – that the way I just quoted you here. I guess quoting will become a bit more work in future to put away the javascript auto attachment ” – See more at: URL” – but OK, I understand it’s for promotion, and when I switch off Javascript in my Browser it’s gone, too.

But all in all, though I found the previous design more comfortable from design to font, more news-like and making it easier to find things with a better overwiew over recent articles and comments, I think I’ll get used to this new design.

So let me try to be constructive with my criticism. What I find a bit odd is the category “Middle East” filled with quite old stuff. Maybe it would be an idea to broaden it to something like “International” or “Worldwide” news.

Then it could also feature news like this one of Hugo Gutierrez filing charges against Netanyahu in Chile for crimes against humanity:

On Friday, Chilean congressman Hugo Gutierrez (Communist Party) filed a lawsuit against the Israeli Prime Minister for “crimes against humanity”. He was accompanied by the Palestinian Federation of Chile.

• Susie Kneedler on August 26, 2014, 5:53 pm

Thanks, Bandolero. Because you gave out that, mondoweiss.net/feed#sthash.Lji4636q.dpuf, I found this great news, http://mondoweiss.net/2014/08/gaza-goyim-jailbreak.html. Yay.

• Susie Kneedler on August 26, 2014, 6:53 pm

Sorry, I meant to say this below:

Thanks, Bandolero. Because you gave out that,
        mondoweiss.net/feed,
        I found this happy news in Phil’s great essay,
        link to mondoweiss.net. Yay.

• Susie Kneedler on August 26, 2014, 6:54 pm

Or, rather, “above.” We’ll get the hang of this~~.

• German Lefty on August 27, 2014, 6:57 am

I agree!

• Philemon on August 27, 2014, 8:53 pm

The “look” is nice and clean, but… (Sorry, the dreaded “but”!)

Sometimes I have a life – hey, it happens to the worst of us – and therefore can’t check MW every day, but I still want to catch up on my reading as quickly as possible.

So, an easy to click on chronological list of articles right on the website, without having to do some kludgy workaround, would be helpful.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius on August 26, 2014, 10:23 am

I agree. Maybe I’ll get used to it, but thus far I find the new format confusing. Like you, I don’t find the categories ”Activism” etc to be very helpful. There might be a need if this was a site with loads of new articles every day, but given that there are usually less than ten or so articles a day, it seems unneccessary. Besides, many articles don’t fit neatly into the categories, and there’s often overlap – eg, an ‘Israel/Palestine’ article could also be a ‘Middle East’ article.

• German Lefty on August 27, 2014, 7:01 am

I don’t find the categories ”Activism” etc to be very helpful. Many articles don’t fit neatly into the categories, and there’s often overlap.

Yes! That’s why the categories are useless. If you look for a certain article, in which category should you search? One page with all articles listed in chronological order is much more useful.

• Peter in SF on August 26, 2014, 2:17 am

Yes, spaces between those headlines are essential, but why are they there anyway? There is no explanation, and they link to articles that are months old.

• Pixel on August 28, 2014, 3:26 pm

@ Peter in SF

“Yes, spaces between those headlines are essential, but why are they there anyway?”

Yeah, why are they there?

• ckg on August 26, 2014, 10:57 am

I like finding new posts too. I’ve been reading the RSS feed of MW to get the reverse chronological list: http://mondoweiss.net/feed

• seanmcbride on August 28, 2014, 10:31 am

ckg,

Not only can you track the reverse chronological list of articles for Mondoweiss here:

1. https://friendfeed.com/mondoweiss-on-friendfeed

2. https://friendfeed.com/search?q=mondoweiss.net&group=mondoweiss-on-friendfeed

but you can comment on those articles without moderation (post them immediately), edit your comments whenever you want, communicate privately with other commenters and proactively post your own original material.

The second link above is focused exclusively on Mondoweiss material — the first link is the full feed.

Try it — it couldn’t be more simple to use. Click and start typing.

Again: this group is a *supplement* for Mondoweiss — definitely not a replacement. Use it to handle the overflow of discussion that is jamming up Mondoweiss.

21. Ismail on August 25, 2014, 10:14 pm

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I don’t care at all for the new format. I never felt that the site was wanting in any way, certainly not in its format, and I prefer to see a list of the day’s stories headed by the date, period. Why you’ve placed them into categories (which overlap anyway) I can’t see – adds an extra unnecessary step to get to where you want to go.

By the way, “change is good” is one of those empty mantras, like “be true to yourself” or “have a happy day” which does no one a bit of good, and is false to boot. Some change is good, some isn’t. Leave the bromides to the fortune cookie industry and stick with insightful, honest, funny, touching, surprising, angry reporting, which you’ve nailed, happily for us all.

And ditch this freaking format, at once!

22. Pixel on August 25, 2014, 10:25 pm

AND saving the best until last:

1. BEAUTIFUL new design – hip, crisp clean lines – very 2014-ish. (Sort of like finally switching to a pair of glasses that are in style. Makes all the difference!)

2. LOVE the pics to the left of all the titles.

3. Great – no more generic gray avatar? boxes – very “yesterday”

4. Oops, backtracking.. When I type a comment, the box turns light yellow, which is cool, but when I highlight to delete or move something, I can barely see what I’m doing because the highlight is another shade of yellow. maybe a light blue or light green box??

6. Cudos to “Crowd Favorites” (Clicked on the link, still have no idea what that is but I know it/they worked hard and came up with something GREAT!

4. Double donate buttons – top and bottom. Maybe they were at the old site but I never noticed which means, as a double, they weren’t effective for me.

5. That everyone is still here and new people are posting, too!!

23. Pixel on August 25, 2014, 10:27 pm

Now, see. I goofed up the numbering in my last post moving things around and have no way to correct it. :o( :o( :o(

ps. And THANKS for opening this up so we could leave feedback and cudos!!

24. wondering jew on August 25, 2014, 11:32 pm

Certainly clearly less emphasis on comments in the current set up. I suppose that this is closer to the ideal that MJ Rosenberg espouses. (Do away with MW’s comments) and since so many of the comments rub me the wrong way, I suppose I should be willing to concede that this is for the best. Still it reduces my desire to participate.

• marc b. on August 26, 2014, 3:32 pm

“Still it reduces my desire to participate.”

mine too. I visit a few news compilation sites of sorts, with no real comment contribution, and that’s what I intuit from the evolution of this site, a salami tactic of pushing the cranks aside. or maybe it’s just my paranoia. I would be interested in hearing from anyone with contacts in more conventional media, to get their impressions of what the online editors of this or that print mag think the value of the comments section is. or is not.

• annie on August 26, 2014, 6:11 pm

this is really hard to listen to. i hope people realize that 1) we’re seriously grappling w/hardware issues here and a lot of what you’re experiencing right now is a result of that. 2) i would tackle tooth and nail for this comment section, invested too much of my life here to see it disintegrate. as far as i know, and have not heard otherwise, policy-wise nothing has changed here. yes, it can be very tough on the trolls, if that’s what you mean by cranks. but posters here get to say the same stuff they’ve been saying for years. there has not been one email, mention or discussion of clamping down on comments among staff. not one. so please bare with us. for some people (not myself) making these changes has taken energy night and day for way over a week i am sure. and some may be just attending to family matters. a few days please. and i think, i would assume, many of the glitches people have pointed out will be addressed. perhaps there’s a system where each of these things have to be individually programmed in.

and last but not least i thought i was going to have a tad of a breakdown last time we did an overhaul. i felt abandoned. and then i got used to the new look and loved it. so some of this is just grappling w/change. but there’s no pushing aside in the cards. no policy changes accompanying the new look as far as i’ve been told.

• Susie Kneedler on August 26, 2014, 7:27 pm

Annie, Thanks, Thanks for All you do, and to everyone else at MW.

• Blownaway on August 26, 2014, 11:01 pm

My biggest whine is I’d love to be able to print..other wise like anything new it will take abit of getting used to

• marc b. on August 27, 2014, 9:38 am

annie, please. no one is questioning your personal passion, commitment and the indispensable contributions you make to this site and the cause more generally. as far as I’m concerned, your writing here has become as lucid and informed as anything I read on the subject anywhere. but the ‘site’s’ collective mind has changed its policy regarding comments. that’s a fact. at the risk of re-regurgitating what’s already been said 1000X, the loss of the ‘last 100 comments’ and the edit function, as well as the ‘use by date’ for comments are all irrefutable evidence of that. what’s the underlying rationale for this change? I don’t know. however even before the new look site, editorial treatment of comments was uneven at best. two simultaneously time-stamped comments of the same length were often published hours or even days apart. whether this was the result of a lack of resources or intentional or something else, again I don’t know, but regardless the result discouraged commentary.

• adamhorowitz on August 27, 2014, 3:30 pm

I mentioned this earlier in this string, but please don’t try to read deeper meaning into what’s working or not working on the site. We’re going to bring back the ‘last 100 comments’ and the edit function as soon as we can figure out how to make those work with the new design and software.

One of the issues with the software the old site was running on was that it did not play well with the rest of WordPress ecosystem. Our new site should, but in some cases we need to find new tools (or plugins as they’re called in WordPress) to do some of the old functions. This might take a while, please be patient. But we’re in the process of working through it now.

The lag and limits on comments have solely been a capacity issue. We cut comments off at 2 days to help reduce the volume of comments we have to moderate, and the lag in getting comments posted is only due to the limited peoplepower we have to get through them. We’re aware it’s not ideal and the new site will allow us to investigate some new moderation tools that will hopefully streamline some of this. That is down the road at this point, but it’s in the plans.

Again, we love the feedback here and I’ve lifted the two day limit on comments because we want them to continue. They’re very helpful and we’ve used them to compile a list of fixes/additions we want to make to the site. I just ask that you be patient. We usually have too many balls in the air as it is keeping the site up to date and getting a brand new site up and running has added a few more. I promise we’ll get to it, it might just take time. Thanks.

• marc b. on August 27, 2014, 3:53 pm

@adam, speaking for myself, I love the site, in the full sense of the word. it’s only one of three I visit everyday, even squinting at my iPhone while on vacation. but ‘we’ love to kvetch too. take it as a sign of the depth of our individual investment in your enterprise.

• eljay on August 28, 2014, 7:28 am

>> Adam Horowitz @ August 27, 2014, 3:30 pm

Thanks for the update, Adam.

• Danaa on August 29, 2014, 9:20 pm

Thanks Adam and annie for the comments and feed-back. I’m sure things will improve as time goes on.

Some day some psychologist will do a PhD thesis on the commenters community, especially when the subjects are politics, geopolitics and conflict zones. I’m sure there are some common traits. We do kind of like to whine a bit – it’s part of the motivation in commenting, the flip side of it. The other part is the emotional investment in the site – which can be great but has some side effects. In that regard the I/P interested “community” is quite special iboth in terms of intensity and commitment. Plus we got, like, the best trolls ever (speaking of trollish types, anyone seen hophmi lately? surely he has things to say about the new site!).

• Mooser on August 26, 2014, 5:46 pm

” I suppose that this is closer to the ideal that MJ Rosenberg espouses.” – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2014/08/our-new-look.html/comment-page-1#comment-705692

MJ Rosenberg had a big hand in the new web design for Mondoweiss? Who knew?

• Taxi on August 27, 2014, 4:31 am

“New Mondoweiss design is terrible BUT at least it hides ugly comments section.” So says MJ Rosenberg.

• Mooser on August 27, 2014, 6:25 pm

“New Mondoweiss design is terrible BUT at least it hides ugly comments section.” So says MJ Rosenberg”

Ah, yes, MJ Rosenberg has always been very, very picky about typography and layout.

• Sibiriak on August 27, 2014, 9:17 am

yonah fredman:

Certainly clearly less emphasis on comments in the current set up.

That’s a shame.

25. radii on August 25, 2014, 11:39 pm

sorry, I vote thumbs down on it … as I did the last time it was changed … the ethos of Mondoweiss has been the words and it seems to get further away from that with each incarnation

26. surewin on August 25, 2014, 11:59 pm

Looks great. Here’s a suggestion: there should be one page where all articles appear in chronological order (like the old home page!). Maybe the archive can be this, so long as you update it in real time. Without such a page, the user has to go to each category page in order to be sure not to miss anything.

27. jon s on August 26, 2014, 12:57 am

I’m less concerned with the wrapping, more concerned with the content…

• Mooser on August 26, 2014, 12:57 pm

“I’m less concerned with the wrapping, more concerned with the content… “

Sure, ‘jon s’ we know; the articles are all lies, and they’re all much too short.

• Gene Shae on August 26, 2014, 6:34 pm

@mooser, your attitude is odious.

• Mooser on August 26, 2014, 10:56 pm

“@mooser, your attitude is odious.”

Yes, I know, isn’t it odious? A Jew who doesn’t feel it would be good for the Jews if he hated anybody or hurt anybody using his religion as an excuse. Awful, and so un-Jewish.

• just on August 26, 2014, 11:16 pm

{{{Mooser}}}

• Susie Kneedler on August 26, 2014, 7:06 pm

Ha Ha! Thanks, Mooser. Wot’d we do without you all the time you were away?

• Gene Shae on August 27, 2014, 12:21 am

Gee Mooser, your fans (sycophants) really like this one! They sure do love a Jew who can let another Jew have it. Do you ever feel like you are anything more that a circus clown on here?

• Mooser on August 27, 2014, 6:29 pm

“They sure do love a Jew who can let another Jew have it. “

Oh my God, Gene, you are Jewish? You never told me, man! Why didn’t you say something. Oh my God, I’m so sorry. I just don’t know what got into me, can you ever forgive me?

And look,, Gene, you’ve gone from a tough-guy pose to whining now. So we’re getting to know you better in other ways, too. You’re acting more natural.

• Danaa on August 26, 2014, 4:20 pm

I’m less concerned with the wrapping, more concerned with the content – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2014/08/our-new-look.html/comment-page-1#comment-705652

Trying to figure out the copy/paste feature. Let’s see what this does to jon s, the content man.

• jon s on August 28, 2014, 12:59 am

This is what I meant, on being concerned with the content:
        Obviously, Mondoweiss is an Anti-Zionist, Anti-Israel blog. That’s clear, it’s the blog’s raison d’etre, and I’ve accepted being one of those representing a minority opinion here.
        But what concerns me this summer is that MW seems to be evolving from Anti-Israel to pro-Hamas. And I’m not talking about the commenters who seem to be overwhelmingly pro-terrorist. I mean the editors and staff writers, who set the tone, and avoid condemning even Hamas’ most obvious crimes, while some anti-Hamas comments are banned.

( I admit that I haven’t read every word on MW this summer. So if I’m wrong, and the editors and staff have codemned Hamas crimes – I’ll be happy to be proved wrong.)

• Danaa on August 28, 2014, 3:23 am

What are your issues with hamas, jon s, other than israel hates their guts?

They are simply a resistance movement operating within the confines of an internment camp for 1.8 M people, descendants of a horrific ethnic cleansing perpetrated by Israel. Hamas may not provide romantic guerilla figures a la Che Guevarra, their religion may be too fundamentalist for our taste, and they don’t have English speaking leaders traipsing up and down the halls of the UN and NATO, like the once cuddly Syrian rebels. But they are the kind of leadership that emerges in a prison under conditions of extreme siege.

Just because israel and apologists in the US go all nuts over hamas, this and hamas that, I see no reason the rest of us should lose our objectivity.

BTW, are you pro or against the east Ukrainian separatists? all they want is to be free from fascist rule and for that they too are called “terrorists”. In fact, israel, and its lackey, the US call anyone they don’t like “terrorists”. So that means what it means, right?

Anyways, I don’t take your comment all that seriously as I think you are just being a bit sanctimonious, trying to wave the hamas card, one of israel’s least convincing talking points. In any case, I challenge you to show where or how MW has been “pro-Hamas”. MW throughout the gaza slaughter of the innocents episode (hard Rock, or as the cuddly PR called it “Protective edge”. Sweeter sounding for sure) has been steadfastedly pro-humans and pro-people. To Israel merely being pro-human is enough to designate someone a terrorist sympathizer.

• jon s on August 28, 2014, 7:06 am

Danaa,
        I’ m still trying to figure out whether you’re being cynical, asking “what are your issues” with Hamas.
        (Please forgive me for not having focused on the Ukraine situation this summer, I don’t have a well-thought-out position at this point. In principle, nations have the right to self-determination, and the use of terrorism is despicable.)

• Bumblebye on August 28, 2014, 9:51 am

jon s

“I abhor terrorism and I despise terrorists of any kind, whatever their “cause”happens to be. Once they deliberately target innocent civilians – they lose any sympathy I may have had, based on their ” cause”.”

Yeah, and you tell us of your shame and horror of the founding of Israel in terrorism every time! You lead movements determined to change the names of all the Israeli streets and towns named for these murderous terrorists, don’t you?

Hypocrisy writ large.

• jon s on August 28, 2014, 10:39 am

Bumblebye, I’ve been over this before, but I’ll repeat: I make no distinctions. Whether the terrorists are Moslems such as the 9/11 hijackers or the Hamas, or Jews such as Barukh Goldstein or the “Jewish Underground”, or Christians such as Timothy McVeigh, or atheists or whatever…

• American on August 28, 2014, 11:27 am

” Really, what possible “issues” could I have with people who have been trying to kill me, my family, my friends and neighbors?…….jon s
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What possible issues could Hamas have with people who stole their people’s land and kill them?
        Hamas is a lot easier on Israel than I would be.
        If the Israelis were doing this to anyone except people who don’t have much to fight back with there would be a lot of dead Israelis.

• annie on August 28, 2014, 2:03 pm

or the sharp shooters who executed a civilian teenager in cold blood for crossing an invisible red line. you make no distinction for calling jews terrorists when they slaughter innocent civilians as they did all over Shejaiya, Rafah and the list goes on. you make no distinction because they have on a uniform of the terrorizing israeli military do you jon.

• Bumblebye on August 28, 2014, 6:20 pm

But Annie,
        KKKKhamas made those nice, clean, uniformed young men kill all those kids, those women, the elderly folks terrified in their own homes! I’m sure jon s said so numerous times…
        It surely wasn’t their training, their ‘war’ planning, their officers, their rabbis, their politicians, their newspapers, or 90% of their compatriots!

• Sibiriak on August 28, 2014, 1:01 pm

jon s:

” I’m not talking about the commenters who seem to be overwhelmingly pro-terrorist.”

Huh? Most commenters are not pro-Israel.

• Mooser on August 28, 2014, 6:33 pm

“This is what I meant, on being concerned with the content:
        Obviously, Mondoweiss is an Anti-Zionist, Anti-Israel blog.”

You are lying through your teeth jon s, and you know it. Please see the “about” page.

28. Justpassingby on August 26, 2014, 3:01 am

Some issues imo:

1 No logout button on main page
    2 Cant mark text, well one could be no typical blue color is shown making it hard
    3 100 latest comments button is it gone?
    4 No edit button
    5 When I log in I some times dont come to the mainpage but a specific article

• jon s on August 28, 2014, 7:23 am

Danaa,
      As to my suspicion that MW has become pro-Hamas: I haven’t seen a word of condemnation of their crimes, and some of my comments critical of Hamas haven’t made it past moderation.

• Mooser on August 28, 2014, 6:40 pm

“As to my suspicion that MW has become pro-Hamas”

Oh look, another scratch-and-snitch Zionist. Go tell Homeland Security.

Excuse me, but who said it was Mondo’s job to render judgement on Hamas? Just because you can’t absorb any kind of information without it be couched in a Manichean imperative doesn’t mean the rest of us share your mid-evil viewpoint!

“and some of my comments critical of Hamas haven’t made it past moderation.”

Well, jon s, considering what the moderators will pass from you, they must have been exceptionally offensive, or just plain full of crap.

• Danaa on August 28, 2014, 7:34 pm

What do you mean by Hamas “crimes”, jon s? executing collaborators? you think perhaps they should have sent them instead to the same fool-proof jail Ben Zygier was entombed in? ah, I know – they could have exiled them to Israel, right? or, at least give them a proper trial with certain israelis called in as star witnesses. I agree, that would be much better, and we should all thrive to convince hamas that collaborators are human beings too and deserve trial, or at least exile to the land up north, where they would no doubt be welcomed with open arms.

I know, I know, you don’t believe in terrorism and are dead set against the punitive centurions who managed to slaughter upward of 2000 people, 500 of whom were children. I am sure that in a final court of law it will be hamas fight back and execute collaborators as well as inflict you support dragging them all to the ICC, – Hamas which managed to inflict some casualties upon the child murderers and the murdererous troopers themselves, complete with photos of their heroes attire,, dressed up to the hilt in military insignia, who will no doubt complain they were only used as “human shields” by Israel, and should be compensated for the trauma they suffered having had to put the bayonettes through all those little kids.

I know that israel would be much more civilized if it found some informers in their midst who were able to pinpoint the locations of select IDF commanders and political leaders, resulting in, say, the wiping out of half of Tel Aviv (I know, it’s a big oops….!). Surely even such callous Israeli informers would still get the fairest of fair trials. The only democracy in the ME and all that.

Besides, not ranting and rabving “hamas, Hamas, or Isis Schmeisis” is considered to be pro-hmas AND pro-Isis. But this is not a hasbara central location, you know. You can consult with Israeli papers and social media where Hamas! gevalt! is all they ever do.

29. Citizen on August 26, 2014, 4:43 am

I think the comments under an article are as important as the article itself. There’s only a few blogs where this is so on the internet regarding the subjects Mondoweiss deals with.

30. just on August 26, 2014, 8:27 am

I see that the last 100 comments is trying to return, and when I clicked on the MW name, some recent articles popped up on the right side of the screen. Terrific!

Many thanks, and I feel for you Ms. Annie and other moderators. It must be frustrating for you, I know I’m shvitzing!

31. Pretext on August 26, 2014, 8:34 am

I hate to be a downer, because there was obviously a lot of work in this look, but honestly the moment I opened up the new MW, I’ve been feeling a buzz of frustration that I can’t get rid of when I’m trying to scan the content. This elevates style over substance, and that’s not a good thing at all, especially for a site whose mission is the transmission of content that contradicts the mainstream narrative.

The old site was very workmanlike and information was presented densely – you could pull open the front page and easily see a full day or two of articles right there.

This change elevates an “airy” look by spreading articles and text over a wider area. It looks like it was made by someone with a graphic design degree, but maybe no newspaper/magazine layout experience. There’s so much wasted space I have to constantly thumb the scroll wheel over and over again to scan the articles.

There’s a reason that nobody but the most style-conscious magazines would use a format that wastes so much space. Sorry all, I appreciate the effort but I have to call out a bad haircut for what it is.

• LeaNder on August 27, 2014, 7:52 am

Pretext, This elevates style over substance, yes I was wondering about this:

you choose “airy”, I’d probably have called it aesthetic.

Emphasis on photos was the big advantage of the last MW update.

I have no idea, why it feels the photos are somewhat withdrawing into the background. Maybe they have to get smaller too to fit into the more “arty” environment.

I would tweeze this a bit.

Maybe the content management will be more easy? Google+ had not much attention lately. If it brings the crowds beyond the true believer that would be fine.

If so, Pretext, you and me surely could live with it. No? At moment, no doubt, I am struggling with what feels like an aesthetic anesthetization of content. And yes, I missing a bit the power of the images.

• Pretext on August 28, 2014, 7:17 am

LeaNder, can I live with it? Of course. A great samurai can live with going to battle with a dull katana, but why? I can climb mountains with a backpack full of rocks, but why would I do that?

While I don’t have a degree in graphic arts, I’ve had the privilege of taking design classes with an Art Center professor, and one of the lessons he taught me is that a well designed product must not subordinate its purpose to its aesthetic. The main area where you can get away with skirting the rule is in packaging design, because when you get right down to it, in that case the mission *is* the aesthetic.

Here, Mondoweiss’s mission is the communication of facts, news, and ideas that run counter to the propaganda we’re fed by a hostile foreign government, their hasbarati, and the media and our public servants they hold under their thrall. This change may make MW appear more fashionable among artsy poseurs and pretentious freshmen graphic design students, but by putting style before content, it handicaps MW at its core mission.

TLDR – The problem here isn’t merely one of my personal preferences. In this war of ideas, Mondoweiss is IMHO the finest sword we have in America, so I hate to see it fight with a handicap.

• LeaNder on August 28, 2014, 10:26 am

Pretext, TLDR? Too lazy to reply? But you just did. So maybe my first guess is wrong.

I love your first paragraph. Considering everything else, I am absolutely with you.

As far as I can see the new developer stole anything that was good, apart, should I say that, the from the user side superior treatment of images, but made the community disappear, maybe they did not monetize?

It was a pleasure to meet you. Take care.

32. wes on August 26, 2014, 8:47 am

What

What a pity …?…graphics are crap,layout,crap

33. Anonymous on August 26, 2014, 8:59 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned above, but:

(1) the formatting is inconsistent;

(2) it’s not possible to click on text within the comment box when trying to edit;

(3) the option to edit a user’s profile seems to have disappeared.

34. adamhorowitz on August 26, 2014, 9:44 am

Thanks so much everyone for the feedback, keep it coming. We’re aware of several of these issues and are working on getting them back in, especially the ability to edit comments.

The new site is a bit of a work in progress so please be patient as we get it up and running, but these comments are very helpful. Thanks!

• Taxi on August 26, 2014, 1:39 pm

Thanks for everything you do, Adam.

• ritzl on August 26, 2014, 8:20 pm

Ditto.

35. Ael on August 26, 2014, 10:18 am

Is there a simple way to get a chronological list of the articles?

I like to check Mondoweiss several times a day and the new format makes it hard to see if any new articles have been posted.

• adamhorowitz on August 26, 2014, 3:07 pm

We’ve certainly heard the need for something like this so we will figure it out. Also the last 100 comments. Please be patient as we roll this out, but I promise we’ll get to it. Thanks!

36. amigo on August 26, 2014, 11:17 am

I like the clean organised look which will take time to get used to but that is just the same as switching from I,Phone to Samsung but simpler.

This may be a completely stupid question, but can you create an old version next to a new version so we can access and compare.(split screen style) on a once off basis for a few days??

I assume you did something that in the planning stages??.

• amigo on August 26, 2014, 11:25 am

Forget that silly idea.

Print screen will do the trick.

37. FreddyV on August 26, 2014, 11:17 am

Very pretty. Nice work.

38. Justpassingby on August 26, 2014, 11:35 am

Some issues imo:

1 No logout button on main page
    3 100 latest comments button is it gone?
    4 No edit button
    5 When I log in I some times dont come to the mainpage but a specific article

39. on August 26, 2014, 12:01 pm

Don’t like.

(Where’s the homepage button?)

• marc b. on August 26, 2014, 1:26 pm

the home page button is the blue Mondoweiss header on the top left.

• annie on August 26, 2014, 1:44 pm

broadside, to get to the homepage just click the mondoweiss logo at the top left of the page.

• on August 26, 2014, 4:05 pm

Grazie.

Interesting… the LOOK is better, the SITE is worse, I think.

In my old age I have come to realize that perhaps the greatest knowledge of all is when to leave well enough alone.

40. Mooser on August 26, 2014, 12:59 pm

(Where’s the homepage button?) Just click the logo at the top of the page, and it’s like clicking your ruby slippers.

• Pixel on August 28, 2014, 3:39 pm

“…ruby slippers.”

lol

• Mooser on August 28, 2014, 6:41 pm

There’s no place like home, there’s no place like home….

41. just on August 26, 2014, 1:18 pm

Did I do something wrong? All of my comments seem to be awaiting moderation.

;((

42. Parity on August 26, 2014, 1:25 pm

I liked being able to see all the articles at once and being able to hover my cursor over the titles to get some text giving the gist of the article. This was particularly useful on days when I did not have time to read each article.

43. Liz18 on August 26, 2014, 1:31 pm

I really like the new look. I’m just wondering if I’m missing something on looking at the most recent articles. Is there a way to do this, or do I have to look at each section to get to the newest articles? On the old site I really liked that you could see all of the articles from the most recent as soon as you went to the site.

• just on August 26, 2014, 1:42 pm

Click on the Mondoweiss name at the top– all will be revealed!

(many thanks to our hardworking mods– I see some of my comments are released! :))

44. ritzl on August 26, 2014, 1:36 pm

1) Maybe too much white space.

2) Don’t see a button for my profile page where I can view my comment history. Used to be in upper right of header.

3) Header says “Log in” after I log in.

4) I have a comment suspended in moderation for a day now. Please enable us to delete our own comments in that circumstance.

• Justpassingby on August 26, 2014, 3:24 pm

ritzl

Number 4 is a good idea!

• ritzl on August 26, 2014, 8:08 pm

Hey, jpb.

It’s a trade between backlog and ownership of comments. MW owns the comments, but enabling some of us the discretion to delete our own un-moderated comments when they have clearly become irrelevant or when others have said it better might give the discussions more pace overall.

But I don’t know if it’s even doable.

• ritzl on August 26, 2014, 8:09 pm

LOVE this nesting scheme!

• Sibiriak on August 28, 2014, 1:27 pm

ritzl: “1) Maybe too much white space.”

————-
      Definitely too white and spacey.

45. Bill in Maryland on August 26, 2014, 2:17 pm

(8/26 2:17 Eastern) Photos taking very long time to load- loading from top, down, like a window blind being pulled down, but exceedingly slowly.

46. Caroline Cracraft on August 26, 2014, 4:05 pm

Can you PLEASE put Mondoweiss back at the beginning of the Subject line?
    So that anyone it is forwarded to knows the source right away.
    Meanwhile, many many thanks for a great and vital enterprise.

47. ritzl on August 26, 2014, 7:56 pm

I think I’m starting to see where this is going. Cool.

Maybe (all very much imho):

• Definitely needs less white space. The balance between quick strategic info scan and crisp inviting look is weighted too far toward looks. As it stands now, you have to scroll and pan around to get a meaningful snapshot of site content (assuming the use of a readable font size, 12 pt or larger) unless you are viewing on a TV (39″ in my case) with lots of real estate. My Mac screen makes the “front page” a single column (at readable font size).

• If only three articles are going to be displayed in each Info Category, put the Category somewhere in the byline while the article is still featured. It will make it easier to track flow through the site, by memory if nothing else. (I don’t know if the flow is going to be from Featured to Category to Archive/Chronolist, so please pardon the assumption that it is.)

• Related to above, and in the “surely this is coming” department, where do articles go when they scroll off the three in each category? There still has to be an archive, but I didn’t see it or the article flow that leads to it. I think this flow needs to be VERY obvious. Noobs aren’t going to want to spend much time looking around. Tweeps and their follower-cousins exploring specific references may not broaden their page views (or drill down) if they have to work too hard for it or lose the proverbial info “scent trail.”

• A crawler or cycling header (that actually links to the article it headlines)? Idiots like me need to be spoonfed and/or love a parade.

• Either a “NEW” tag or a “Recent Comments” page, or both. “NEW” tag/flag should apply to articles as well, if dates are going to remain light gray. Less eyestrain.

• Related to flags, tag Mondoweiss Original Content as such. I don’t know what that might mean or how you would discriminate but there’s inside content and outside submission posted here side by side. It may serve a purpose to toot the MW horn a bit. That would, imho, also boost the credibility of the submissions and might create a positive feedback/resonance loop for donors.

• A bit more (like maybe one more) contrasting but thematic color for the important stuff (like “NEW”), used very selectively and sparingly.

—-

I know the pros did this and you all have worked very hard to make it happen. This wish list is just based on the in-out way I process stuff.

Huge FWIW.

Peace.

• ritzl on August 26, 2014, 8:32 pm

Big OBTW. To me MW still spoils us as users/commenters. Other heavy info sites seem pretty serial in the way they present info. That really does make you work for context/depth and/or offers limited conversational interactions.

I think it’s great how parallel or relational this site is. I can only guess how hard it is to make that work. It’s pretty clear it’s not at all easy because few others outside the bigs do it.

Thanks.

• Mooser on August 26, 2014, 10:59 pm

A bit less white space wouldn’t be bad, it is a bit loose. But remember, it has to run on all size devices.

48. Kris on August 26, 2014, 9:04 pm

One thing readers can do is “like” mondoweiss on facebook, and then some mondoweiss articles will show up in their facebook newsfeeds. For example, I just saw “Since the beginning of ‘Operation Protective Edge’ in Gaza, Israeli forces have also injured at least 2,139 Palestinians in the West Bank” on my facebook newsfeed. I missed it yesterday, when I was traveling and depending on my Kindle to view mondoweiss, and didn’t see the article when I looked at mondoweiss today on my home computer.

It seems odd to have to click on every category in order to see what’s new on mondoweiss.

If it is really helpful/attractive to readers to sort your essays/articles into categories, maybe you could provide a category of “articles by date of publication” also?

The old “busy” look of your website seemed great to me–full of information, well organized, welcoming, and lively. I hope mondoweiss won’t start looking like commondreams.org–they recently changed to a website design that seems to me very much less attractive/interesting than the one they had before.

49. Kris on August 26, 2014, 9:08 pm

I should add that even though I don’t like this new design, so far, I am VERY grateful to all of you at mondoweiss for the great work that you do, day after day after day!

50. Jethro on August 26, 2014, 11:31 pm

I like the white space. I thought the old site looked a bit cramped.

51. Pixel on August 27, 2014, 1:16 am

Just saw this on Twitter. What are his issues with MW?
    ————

MJ (Mike) Rosenberg @MJayRosenberg · 6h

New Mondoweiss design is terrible BUT at least it hides ugly comments section.

Replied to 0 times

• ritzl on August 27, 2014, 5:03 am

I think MW is trying to (at least subtextually) separate Zionism and Judaism and MJR, despite (or maybe because of) his current outrage over Gaza, is trying to change Zionism with Judaism.

Looking through his libzio sodastraw for a moment, I can see where his anger comes from. Nothing at MW makes sense to him with the “peripherals” taken away.

MJR is a very vocal half-right. I’m happy about the half he gets right. Very right.

• Justpassingby on August 27, 2014, 8:28 am

MJ is the type that cant decide if hes pro-Israel or pro palestinian. Remember MJ was a aipac supporter back in the days. Most of all he seeks attention obviously.

• Mooser on August 27, 2014, 9:59 pm

He just seems so uptight. MJRosenberg, that is, totally uptight.

52. jrochkind on August 27, 2014, 9:14 am

I am missing a list of ALL stories most recent first — I like to be able to come to mondoweiss and see what’s been posted since last time I visited (or in the last few days or weeks) that I haven’t seen yet. Not only in a certain category, but just the list of everything posted lately. This seems to no longer be available.

53. Liz18 on August 27, 2014, 9:20 am

When I click on the Mondoweiss tab it still does not show all of the most recent posts. I wish there was a way that I can go on the site and it will show all of them instead of having to look for the most recent ones.

54. Ismail on August 27, 2014, 4:18 pm

Would you guys please, please at least include an option which simply lists each days stories, a la the old format?

Let me play on your white guilt and assure you, as a full-blooded Lebanese, that the Arab people as a whole will thank you.

55. W.Jones on August 27, 2014, 6:11 pm

New Mondoweiss design is terrible BUT at least it hides ugly comments section. ~ MJ Rosenberg

• Mooser on August 27, 2014, 10:05 pm

Ah, he doesn’t think the type is justified? He always was a big ‘flush-left’ kinda guy, I would imagine.

• W.Jones on August 28, 2014, 11:33 am

MJ’s complaint about the comment section is basically that it has too much anti-nationalism. He wrote that Ali A. was racist and said that the evidence was in general the way Ali A. talks about “Zionists”. What Ali A. does is that he often writes about how “Zionists” attacked Palestinian forces and villages in 1948. Factually this is true, as the Israeli state did not yet exist, and so the forces were “Zionist” (ie. their aim was Zionism – a nationalist state.)

• Mooser on August 28, 2014, 6:49 pm

Maybe, maybe, W Jones, I don’t want to say you aren’t right, that may be it. But I was here and remember how MJRosenberg reacted to an article and comment thread on circumcision here at Mondo. I think that was (no pun intended) the beginning of the end for him and Mondo.

• W.Jones on August 29, 2014, 4:02 pm

Mooser,

MJR tweeted what I find to be a pretty intolerant message about the traditional passover ritual – one I don’t need to repeat. I would not be surprised if he got offended by MW posting an article criticizing some circumcision rituals though either. Some people are contradictory.

• Mooser on September 1, 2014, 4:05 pm

“MW posting an article criticizing some circumcision rituals though either.”

W. Jones, let’s be frank, okay? The act itself, and the right of a child to its own bodily integrity was under discussion, not just “some circumcision rituals”!!

56. just on August 28, 2014, 10:18 am

Thanks to all of you wonderful people at MW for the new digs and your hard work/dedication to truth each and every day.

If it hadn’t been for this important thread, I would never have found Kate again without asking.

I value her compilations so much, and I think that it would improve the site and inform more people if her contributions (and Prof. Ellis’) were to appear on the home page along with the other articles– currently they don’t.

;))

57. Jackdaw on August 28, 2014, 12:00 pm

Looks nice. Works like shit.

Phil bought a lemon.

• Mooser on August 28, 2014, 6:51 pm

“Looks nice. Works like shit.”

Well then, the new site has at least one advantage over Zionism, which is looking pretty goddam ratty about now.

58. Amar on August 28, 2014, 12:43 pm

I would think blog visitors to any blog they regularly visit are first and foremost LOOKING FOR THE LATEST POSTS OR NEWS. There is no demarcation for the latest, you have to rummage around the various sections looking for disjointed bits and pieces of it. Thats the annoying thing about the site change. Looks nice but is not user friendly.

59. Pixel on August 28, 2014, 3:07 pm

I strongly disagree with rating comments.

I have no interest in knowing what others think; I want the freedom to decide for myself.

With all respect, I find the practice juvenile.

60. Pixel on August 28, 2014, 3:54 pm

On login, I’d prefer a “Hi, Pixel” to “Howdy”.

I feel like I’m in El Paso herding longhorn cattle.

• Danaa on August 29, 2014, 9:34 pm

“Howdy” should attract more Texans and New Mexicans to the site. It’ll make kinky Friedman feel right at home.

I welcome anything that’s not East Coasty, and Howdy is anything but that. At least it’s not “Yo”….

• Mooser on September 1, 2014, 4:08 pm

Danaa, what about “Jethro”, upthread. His Mondo greets him with “Howdy Jethro”!! That is too cool. Howdy, Jethro, Granny is out by the ce-ment pond….

• Philemon on September 7, 2014, 7:22 pm

Granny can’t believe she’s lived to see that day that Jed would let Jethro post on Mondoweiss!

61. Mooser on August 28, 2014, 6:52 pm

“I feel like I’m in El Paso herding longhorn cattle.”

You should have taken a left turn at Alberquerque

• just on August 28, 2014, 10:51 pm

LOL!

• Philemon on August 29, 2014, 8:17 pm

I kinda like the “Howdy”!

American hospitality at its finest in a nutshell. As in “Howdy, stranger!”

Of course, it will eventually inspire someone on log-in to register as “Doody” and we all know what they’ll be like!

62. LeaNder on August 29, 2014, 9:31 am

I have completely changed my mind. The concentration on content above may well be a significant improvement long term.

I like the community, but I also have to admit that the “recent comment bar” occasionally distracted my attention from the content. Thanks to Danaa above for pointing out the fact that it was misused as attacking MW generally. Strictly considering my favorites, like Moose, or e.g. Hostage the relentless teacher, I can still easily take a look at their recent comments via their profile. Great this feature has not disappeared.

63. Philemon on August 29, 2014, 8:07 pm

Well, something you could click on to check for new comments would be nice. I just missed some comments in response to mine on a quick scan through.

And, not to sound like a broken record, but being able to click on something on this website to see older articles in chronological order would be a great help, or “helpful” in State Department-ese, as I don’t always remember their titles well enough to search for them productively.

• LeaNder on August 30, 2014, 9:46 am

Philomon, I noticed your name here recently. Nice aka

Simply click on your own name and scroll to whatever comments you feel may get responses.

Profile Philemon Scroll down a little and you will see what comments got responses. I was close to once.

• Philemon on September 7, 2014, 6:57 pm

Checking my comments for replies was precisely how it happened! I saw one of my comments with some replies but missed the other ones further down because I thought I’d seen them already.

In any case, if a comment is “embedded” more than three levels down, people can’t “reply” directly to it, but just have to reply to the comment above it, and then it shows up underneath. So, one could miss informative responses that don’t show as “replies” in the profile that way too.

It would be much easier to see new comments and replies in context anyway in a “Recent Comments” link we could click on.

It looks like there’s an “Archives” linkydoo already where a reverse chronological listing of articles could go so that those of us who sometimes can’t check in everyday can see what we’ve missed.

Maybe they could squeeze a link for comments in there beside it.

64. gracie fr on August 30, 2014, 9:47 am

Although the new format is aesthetically pleasing,miss the “old chronology listings” and the cut and the former paste feature…Now is seems necessary to “formulate a response” in Word and then paste….

65. Justpassingby on August 30, 2014, 4:05 pm

Imo I would like to see bigger headlines like the earlier design, there was more clearity in the older one in general, the fonts is too small in general too.

66. W.Jones on August 31, 2014, 4:41 pm

The arrangement of the New Look is pretty, and sure I can understand the two day limit now because of the need for moderation work. For that, you could probably bring on a few more unpaid staff who you trust and who are willing to do the moderation the way you want.

However, unfortunately the New Look is a major handicap. There are major problems in it: No chronological list of all the articles for the past week, the practically transparent highlighting, the lack of an edit button, etc., etc. I am stuck going to “MONDOWEISS ON FRIENDFEED” now to get a chronological list of the latest articles.

If someone chose to sabotage your blog intentionally, this is what it might be like.

• W.Jones on August 31, 2014, 4:42 pm

According to Sean – and he is an internet technician – Crowd Favorite hardly the optimal way to get the site redesigned to look more professional.

• Mooser on September 1, 2014, 4:18 pm

“Crowd Favorite hardly the optimal way to get the site redesigned to look more professional”

My impression is that interactivity is what they are after, and portability, the ability to run on all kinds of devices. And support lots of different formats. Simplicity helps with all that.
        Not to mention the fact that after full functionality is achieved, the site can still be tweaked graphically, for better appearance, I’m pretty sure.

67. RoHa on September 2, 2014, 8:39 pm

I don’t like it.

Putting articles in categories makes it hard to see which are the latest articles.

What is the point of the categories, anyway? If the headline didn’t tell me what the article was about, the handy-dandy pop-up bubble did. And I could always look at the article itself if I were still unsure.

If you must have categories, one for US Politics is reasonable, since the US is the major player in supporting Israel and destroying Arab lands. But where are you going to put articles about British, German, or Russian politics?

What do you mean by “Features”?

No side bar of recent comments, and no list of the hundred latest comments. Frequently the information and insights in the comments were more valuable than the articles that prompted them, but the New Look seems to devalue the comments.

Why do you want more emphasis on photos?

All in all, very disappointing. I have to give it a failing grade.

• Justpassingby on September 4, 2014, 11:30 am

I have to agree, dont really like it, its not really functional like the older design, especially as you say its hard to see what the latest articles are, its all a blur to me with all this small text covering up the site.

• Philemon on September 7, 2014, 7:25 pm

I’m hoping the MW tech team is just taking a breather after the big move, but are about ready to roll up their sleeves again to get that good old functionality back.

What Roha said about the “categories” – too disjointed and disorganized from the perspective of the user – well, this user, anyway.

This user has a hard time remembering which category an interesting article was classified under when there are so many overlapping possibilities. And then I just get frustrated when I can’t find the one I was looking for and start stomping around and muttering, and the dogs don’t like it.

68. Mooser on September 10, 2014, 11:53 am

Also, the ‘buttons’ over the categories don’t work. Gotta go to the top of the page and select category there. Can that be fixed?

69. Justpassingby on September 24, 2014, 8:45 am

1 month since the new site was launched, do you have any plans to fix some of those problems people have raised here?