On being accused of anti-semitism by well meaning liberals

ActivismNews

social_media

The recent crimetastrophe in Gaza has meant a month of being glued to the news, dry-mouthed, nauseated, furious and sad. It has meant posting endlessly on Facebook, feeling helpless and useless but noticing more support than I’ve ever had before, and making many more friends and contacts than the few I’ve lost. My family is even getting in on it, with my little sister particularly passionate, despite the fact that it’s scandalizing her Zionist in-laws.

It has also meant more contact with pro-Zionist trolls who pop up constantly with well-scripted talking points, defenses of mass slaughter, denials of Palestinian peoplehood, and (rather ironic) accusations of the type of bigotry known as anti-Semitism.

The most recent one posted a Huffington Post article called “Liberal Anti-Semitism,” which features several paragraphs of hand-wringing about how, when the author hears criticism of Israel, “I get so overwhelmed by the flood of thinly veiled Jew-loathing that I can’t respond to anything else.”

She then outlines five reasons why supporters of Palestinian human rights give her the heebie jeebies.

It’s like shooting fish in a barrel to respond to each of them in turn, but I did so anyway in order to give ammunition to people who are new to this conflict and may be intimidated by this type of rhetoric. Here is my rebuttal:

1. The failure to focus on the log in our own eye.

I have been a critic of American foreign policy since before I knew who occupied whom in Palestine/Israel. Just because I happen to be talking about Palestine right now doesn’t mean I don’t have other passions or interests.

2. Our silence when it comes to the role of the surrounding countries, who want the Palestinians to remain right where they are as pawns in a global power struggle.

As far as Palestinian refugees having a hard time in surrounding countries (which is often true), it wasn’t Jordan or Syria who created the Palestinian refugee crisis, and the US government pretty much pays the Egyptian army to make life difficult for Palestinians. Talk about a “failure to focus on the log in our own eye…”

3. Our indifference to Jewish post traumatic dynamics and conditions that reactivate trauma.

You have no reason to assume anyone is indifferent to Jewish or Israeli suffering without any evidence other than the fact that they support equal human rights for Palestinians without explicitly, every single time, adding a disclaimer that satisfies you.

(I admit I am sometimes cavalier about the actual threat Israelis feel right now, compared to the horrific violence the Israeli army has been inflicting on mostly innocent Palestinians, with 90+% Jewish Israeli support. There is really no comparison when it comes to suffering, and yet Israelis want the world to feel Israel’s (overblown) fear more than Palestinians’ unimaginable loss and pain. And it’s hard for me to take a grown adult seriously when they do that. It’s so blind and racist.)

Whatever collective PTSD Israelis may have, we should all have empathy for that. But past trauma does not exempt one from any accountability for criminal behavior. Any more than someone who was abused as a child should be free to abuse whomever they like without censure.

4. A double standard for Middle Eastern Countries.

Last I checked, we weren’t giving Syria $3 billion per year in foreign aid or blanket political cover to do whatever they like. And still, I haven’t been silent about Syria, and neither have any of the people of conscience whom I know. Though I’m not an expert on Syria and really have no clue what to do about it.

But look, if you want Israel to be treated like an out of touch, bloated-with-oil-and/or-Western-aid-money autocracy, or held to no higher standard than the Taliban, please stop calling it “The Only Democracy in the Middle East” with “The Most Moral Army in the World” and “shared values” with the West. You can’t have it both ways.

There’s more to say on this — the author doesn’t seem to know much about Israel’s internal dynamics of racism, sexism, or occasional genocidal rhetoric — but I’ll leave it there for now.

5. Our lack of comparable passion about other suffering in the world.

So you can read everyone’s mind? You know what kind of passion we have about all the suffering in the world? Must be a neat trick. Teach it to me some time.

Personally, I focus on Israel/Palestine more than other conflicts because (a) I lived there for two years and have a lot of friends directly involved, (b) It is the largest recipient of US military aid in the world, and (c) It seems there is some tantalizing hope of changing things, especially through educating fellow Americans, who have mostly been brainwashed into demonizing one side and thus being blinded to a lot of basic (and very disturbing) truths about what’s being done in our name with our tax dollars.

I suspect part of the reason other people focus on it is because there is a lot of support for Israel in America, and it gets reported on the news in (often wrong or out-of-context) detail, and there always seems to be a “peace process” or a war blasted across the news, and it’s been going on for decades, so people get invested in the long, drawn-out soap opera / narrative. Plus, many people have read the Bible, so we feel some connection to the land — the River Jordan and Jerusalem and all that — more than, say, the Sudan, about which most Americans know absolutely nothing. Doesn’t mean it’s right. But it’s a more plausible explanation than the fact that we’re all — including all the major news networks — secretly anti-Semitic.

Palestinians are also educated and social media savvy, so they are a bit better at getting their message out than some people in other conflict zones. Plus they’ve asked the world to come to their aid through a BDS movement that can get literally everyone in the world involved, even if our governments won’t do crap. A good model for other oppressed people throughout the world.

By implying that because I focus disproportionately on this subject, I must be a closet anti-Semite, you are simply throwing around slander in an apparent attempt to silence me. Sorry, it won’t work.

The best part of the article was this quote by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, which we would all do well to keep in mind:

“If only it were all so simple, if only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being.”

Pamela Olson lived in beautiful Palestine for two years during and after the second Intifada and is deeply humbled by that unearned privilege, given how many millions of Palestinians are not even allowed to visit. She is willing to send a free PDF copy of her book, Fast Times in Palestine, to anyone who wishes to learn more about what life is like under Israeli occupation. You can contact her through her website to request one.

Pamela Olson

Pamela Olson is the author of Fast Times in Palestine. She blogs here.

1. DaBakr on August 7, 2014, 11:39 am

so you hate when so-called ‘ liberal [and/or] zionists’ respond to you with “well scripted” talking points and respond with a list of your own well scripted points. great. so much for the ‘war of ideas’.

• Pamela Olson on August 7, 2014, 1:51 pm

My “talking points” aren’t mendacious, out of context, counterfactual, or deliberately engineered to manipulate or obfuscate. That’s the difference.

• MHughes976 on August 7, 2014, 3:20 pm

They’re truthful, objective and of great value. We owe you a debt of gratitude.

• DaBakr on August 7, 2014, 8:37 pm

It really doesn’t matter that your ‘points’ are not ‘lies, blurry or manufactured’ as they seem to represent what you think. I would only counter that even if I accepted your premise of ‘mendacity’ it matters little when Hamas is proven to be lying and Israel telling the truth but matters a lot when the opposite is the case. e.g. MW has been accusing Netanyahu of lying about Hamas involvement with the 3 murders yet pretty strong evidence was presented yesterday and its being completely ignored by the editors here. In fact, more then ignored. Annie stated clearly today that Netanyahu “lied about Hamas involvement” with no reference to this new evidence. If she believes its trumped up-then explain at least. But this is just one small example in an entire universe of talking points that focus on who is right and wrong and not how to bring two intransigent sides to come to a compromise where everyone is equally unhappy as that has always been the mark of a real compromise.

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 3:09 pm

Yes DaBakr, we get it, might makes right. That, and it’s extraordinarily high birth-rate, is what Zionism is depending on.

• lysias on August 8, 2014, 3:17 pm

Pretty strong evidence? Looks like just unsupported assertions to this lawyer.

• DaBakr on August 8, 2014, 5:04 pm

@ly
        he has been a known member in WB leadership of Hamas for years. Unsupported assertions? Your right. Sounds like ‘lawyer speak’. However-I will concede that nobody in the BDS camp will believe he will get a fair trial in Israel-even if he does. But if Khadeirs killers walk and Qwamseh gets life I’ll come back here and eat these words.

• globalconsciousness on August 7, 2014, 10:22 pm

Pamela Thanks for this ; your opening description of the past four weeks resonated entirely.
        I have noticed that the following issues emerge in comments more often than not: Hamas using human shields; cement for tunnels instead of infrastructure; greenhouses destroyed…always wish that I had a set of immediate responses with substantiation to these talking points…

• Pamela Olson on August 9, 2014, 1:14 am

Here are the four best articles I’ve read (out of many) for debunking various mendacious Zionist talking points. The first one demolishes the general narrative about “Israel leaving Gaza for peace in 2005 and Hamas destroying greenhouses”:

http://fasttimesinpalestine.wordpress.com/2014/08/01/beinart-demolish-israeli-talking-points-gaza (I didn’t write this, by the way, it’s a reprint of a Beinart article on Haaretz)

This one explains how and why this most recent escalation started (hint: Hamas didn’t “start it”)

This one debunks more recent talking points:

And this one debunks other talking points that have emerged in the past few weeks:

Hope it’s useful

• lyn117 on August 9, 2014, 10:42 am

I would hope it’s useful, but the pro-Israel crowd completely ignores facts and figures.

• Walid on August 9, 2014, 7:19 am

“… greenhouses destroyed”

Story wasn’t totally false, global, Palestinians actually did thrash the greenhouses but it has to be explained in the context in which it happened. The greedy settlers had dismantled half the greenhouses to carry them off with them and as to the remaining half, they were threatening to cart them off too unless someone came up with some cash to pay for them. The only people who cared enough about doing something to actually help Palestinians continue the thriving agricultural greenhouse sector such as flower growing, were benevolent Jews of NYC that among themselves gathered the needed $12 million to pay off the departing settlers to leave the greenhouses intact and up and running for the benefit of the Palestinians. After the settlers left and the Palestinians started taking over the greenhouses, Israel began its dirty tricks and games in letting unrefrigerated produce transporting trucks sit idly in the hot sun at crossings for 4 or 5 days until the produce being exported spoiled and they stopped turning on the water to the greenhouses that after a while spoiled all the vegetables and especially the flowers that were being grown in them that effectively destroyed Gaza’s export income. That’s when the Palestinians lost it and began destroying the greenhouses, dismantling them to use some of their parts and everything else associated with their losing their income at the hands of the Israelis.

From the Israeli side, the news came out simply that the “ungrateful” Gazans had simply destroyed the gift that had been given to them because of some genetic defect or other. That’s what happened with the greenhouses.

• lyn117 on August 8, 2014, 11:10 pm

Yeah, heaven help me. After the post about Sam Harris, I went over to his project-reason web site and posted some information about the history and so forth on one of their discussion forums.

Don’t say I wasn’t warned!

Not a single person at that site was interested in examining facts, using critical thinking or eroding the influence of dogmatism and bigotry in our world. Rather the reverse. They’re the typical zionists as you note, mendacious, out of context, counterfactual and the rest.

Does anyone know why it’s so important to Zionists that Palestine wasn’t a state in 1920? I cannot figure out why it’s important. Other than to maybe say that by extension, Palestinians didn’t exist, therefore the land was empty. This is from people who self-identify as rational. ROTFLOL.

• RoHa on August 9, 2014, 4:16 am

“Does anyone know why it’s so important to Zionists that Palestine wasn’t a state in 1920? ”

I’ve asked the Hasbareers who post here, but got no answer.

I suspect is because they think in terms of “peoples” rather than people. It’s “peoples” who have rights to land. If there had been a Palestinian state, it would imply a Palestinian “people” with a group right to the land.

• lyn117 on August 9, 2014, 11:28 am

‘But this guess may just be a reflection of my own distaste for the ideas of “peoples” and group rights.’

I get your point, the only reason “peoples” have rights is because individuals have rights.

In many places around the world, at one time there was no such thing as private property. I think the Ottoman empire instituted private property around 1858. Before that everything was officially state land but communal rights to use the land by, e.g., a village or bedouin group were recognized. If they didn’t use it in some cases it reverted to state land.

With the institution of private property, much of it ended up in the hands of whoever was cognizent enough to register is, rather than split among the villagers. That’s how you got large absentee landowners who were quite willing to sell to Zionists, and the people lost their rights.

Anyway, in the sense of communally owned land at a village level, I would certainly favor a group right to a certain piece of land so long as its use was equitable within that group. I don’t think it violates the “peoples” have rights because individuals have rights idea and on the whole I agree with you.

• scribejohn on July 5, 2015, 3:59 am

‘By implying that because I focus disproportionately on this subject, I must be a closet anti-Semite, you are simply throwing around slander in an apparent attempt to silence me.’

To make the claim of ‘slander’ have resonance, you would first need to prove the claim was untrue, and that would be subject to different opinions (note: your own on that subject probably wouldn’t count). There might for instance be other reasons other than thinly disguised anti-Semitism for a one-way view on the issue; you might have a thin grasp of the issues at hand, or feel that some greater cause is being served by continually looking at the conflict from only one standpoint.

Personally, I think there’s fault on both sides and liberal Palestinians and Israelis on both sides find themselves caught in the crossfire. For instance, how can anyone with a straight face mention the dividing security wall and use the tag ‘apartheid’, without also mentioning the wave of suicide bombings between 1998 and 2005 which led to it being built? Two bombings a week during 2003, with women and children blown apart in cafes, malls and on buses. Surely it would be more accurate to term it an ‘apartheid against bombers’ wall rather than one against Palestinians in general.

The West Bank now is doing well. PA security is functioning better and conflict led deaths there are only a few a month (January of this year it was only one). Given that this pro-rata is only 10% of the murder rate in LA or New York, is worthy of note. Trade is good, with a lot of Israeli and Palestinian/Jordanian cooperation projects for both commerce and education. Palestinian friends I speak to are more hopeful there now, even though a full peace agreement and an independent state is still elusive. Gaza is different, but people there are afraid to speak out fully against Hamas.

Yes, Israel going in there last year was heavy handed and somewhere between inadvisable and deplorable (dependant on your viewpoint). But it is also worth noting the years devoted to building terror tunnels and storing and firing rockets which led to it. How can any org meant to defend its own people (Hamas), spend the multi millions sent for aid and re-building on millions of tons of concrete to build terror tunnels and on rockets, when its own people are meant to be suffering? Hamas has a duty first and foremost to its own people, Israel do not. Their duty is first and foremost to its own citizens, 21% of which I might remind you are mostly Muslim Arabs.

Do try and be more even handed in your commentary, and these comments wouldn’t even be aimed at you; far less that you would then have to defend them. In fact, if you were getting the ‘tone’ right, the accusations would never come in the first place, and thus no need to defend.

• pjdude on August 7, 2014, 2:30 pm

so once again the zionist response is wah wah we got called out on our bs.

• paul causton on August 7, 2014, 4:59 pm

I did not manage to find the word hate in any writing here except yours! funny that…

• DaBakr on August 8, 2014, 3:50 pm

@pc
        this is what bothers you.? funny that…. words have different meanings in different contexts. Read it again and note that when followed by the word “when”, it changes the context of the word. you know? kind of like how a lot of people here “hate” killing and violence and that is not really such a bad thing .

please say what you mean instead of implying something insidious.

2. seafoid on August 7, 2014, 11:43 am

Indifference to jewish post trauma dynamics- I never subscribe to “my mother drunk or sober” type instructions. Israel needs national therapy, self funded. For all the crap about how important it is Hebron seems to be of limited use in this regard.

3. oldgeezer on August 7, 2014, 11:46 am

“4. A double standard for Middle Eastern Countries.”

This is a questionable claim in other ways. Other middle eastern countries have been hit with sanctions, UNSC resolutions and actual munitions over their behaviour.

There is an exception to that in the case of Saudi Arabia. Given their role in the regions troubles I think that would be a fair claim.

There is an exception in that Israel is given a free pass as well despite it’s actions.

Saudi Arabia aside, the complaint is that Israel does not want to be treated like other middle eastern states.

• traintosiberia on August 7, 2014, 11:27 pm

Saudi Arab is a major problem. But does to hurt US interests? Has it hurt ever? Even 1973 oil embargo was u dermined by S Arab. It is a despicable country that abuses religion and religious sentiments of millions of Muslim . It exploits the migrant workers,send and recruits jihadist to destroy secular or democratic Muslim countries It is paranoid and so paranoid that even Muslim Britherhood is untouchable to the Saudi. Like Israel. If this country disappeared as a political entity, the world be a better place for Muslim. Jews Christian,and non monotheistic people .

4. ThorsteinVeblen2012 on August 7, 2014, 12:24 pm

I was born in 1956.

The conflict with Israel has gone on my entire life.

It’s worked it’s way up to the top of the list.

What issue is now so important that I should leave it?

• weaver on August 7, 2014, 11:10 pm

Although pointing out the straw man nature of hasbara bingo scorepoints like number 4 and 5 is valid, it often narks me that people don’t make the stronger point that these sort of lines – and whataboutism in general – are tu quoque gibberish. You do not refute an allegation or argument by claiming that the person making it does so inconsistently – that may be a problem with them but says nothing about their statement, any more than a more general ad hominem attack (of which tu quoque is a species, essentially an accusation that your opponent is a hypocrite) would.

With regards to the usual example, any inconsistency in concern about human rights (What about Sudan? What about Tibet? What about Peladon?) would be best resolved by starting to talk about these other cases, not stopping talk about Israel. But that’s not the point, of course. It’s a tu quoque argument itself (heh, turnabout is fair play) but, as Mr Shenfield points out, zios and hasbaroids only ever seem to express their concern about human rights abuses elsewhere when they’re defending their favourite ethnonational state.

I really think this needs to be hammered more than making the undeniably instinctive response in defence “I do so worry about other abuses” – or pointing out that there are any number of reasons to prioritise. “Oh, you say 2+2=4, but you never say 2+3=5, therefore your claim that 2+2=4 smacks of anti4ism and is invalid” is irrational nonsense and should be called out as such at every available opportunity.

5. Stephen Shenfield on August 7, 2014, 1:20 pm

With rare exceptions those who complain of “lack of comparable passion” about suffering in other parts of the world do not themselves care in the least about Congo, Tibet, etc. It is just another spiel devised to counterattack critics of Israel.

6. MHughes976 on August 7, 2014, 3:16 pm

The overall ME conflict and confusion, of which Zionism is an integral part, seems to me to be the worst thing in the world, most dangerous to material prosperity, most dangerous to our moral balance. Zionism is the most erroneous idea that is both cruel in its effects yet massively popular in my culture, so I take a special interest in saying, as often as I can, that it is mistaken.

• Mooser on August 7, 2014, 4:16 pm

“so I take a special interest in saying, as often as I can, that it is mistaken.”

You probably knew about it already, but I take a special pleasure in what Henry Morgenthau said about Zionism.

• Nevada Ned on August 7, 2014, 6:56 pm

What did Henry Morganthau say?

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 3:16 pm

“What did Henry Morganthau say?”

What did he say? What didn’t he say. He said a mouthful, and you can write home to Mother and say I said so.

• seanmcbride on August 8, 2014, 12:27 pm

Mooser,

What did Robert Morganthau say about Zionism?

See this:

This is an intimate story of their 35-year marriage, in which Lucinda and Robert shared early success, a love of Jewish culture, a visceral horror of the Holocaust, and a determination to build the city’s first Holocaust museum. The couple took trips to Israel, where they visited with Ariel Sharon and various well-known figures, and became passionately pro-Israel: Lucinda would write stories for The New York Times about these visits and Robert worked with Mossad connections to apprehend worldwide terrorists and the white collar criminals that funded them.

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 3:17 pm

Henry, Robert, what’s the difference? Those Morgenthaus are all the same.

• seanmcbride on August 8, 2014, 5:48 pm

The JTA archives are a wonderful resource:

BEGIN ARTICLE
        TITLE Zionism Doomed to Fail Says Henry Morgenthau
        PUBLICATION JTA
        DATE February 11, 1930
        URL http://www.jta.org/1930/02/11/archive/zionism-doomed-to-fail-says-henry-morgenthau
        BEGIN BODY

Zionism is doomed to failure, according to Henry Morgenthau, former American Ambassador to Turkey, who made this statement Sunday in a speech before the Rutgers Club at the Madison House. Zionism, he declared, was the cause of the present trouble between the Jews and the Arabs who before the war had been living in peace with each other.

“The Zionists,” said Mr. Morgenthau, “have spoiled Palestine for the Jews by making demands to which the Arabs could not afford to agree. The fundamental mistake was in misinterpreting the Balfour declaration with its promise of a national homeland for the Jews in Palestine into one of Palestine as a national homeland for the Jews.”

END BODY
        END ARTICLE

• Philemon on August 8, 2014, 8:02 pm

Mooser, I think Sean’s point is that those Morgenthaus are not all the same.

So, I know you meant Henry Morgenthau, Sr. and his critique of the zionist project in Palestine, but Sean wanted you to disambiguate it by properly quoting and attributing. It isn’t irrelevant because, somehow, Henry, Jr. wasn’t so careful and principled as his father. Maybe he was a mother’s baby, father’s maybe?

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 9:17 pm

“It isn’t irrelevant because, somehow, Henry, Jr. wasn’t so careful and principled as his father.”

I doesn’t matter anymore. I took special pleasure in some of the things I read Henry Morgenthau said, but now it’s all been spoiled, and I’ll never enjoy them again, so just forget it.

• Philemon on August 8, 2014, 9:44 pm

Oh, fer gawd’s sake, get over it, Mooser! It’s way beyond the rabbit proof fence! Everyone here agrees with Henry Morgenthau, Sr., and you know it.

This swooning couch routine, with you being all nihilistic, is beyond silly.

And I’m saying this as someone who likes your comic stuff.

7. amigo on August 7, 2014, 3:30 pm

We are endlessly asked “What about the killings in Syria” by people who believe that The Syrian Heights belong to Israel.

I don,t hear them talking about giving it back to those Syrians they claim to care so deeply about.

Hypocrites like water always find their own level.

• Kay24 on August 7, 2014, 4:24 pm

Good point. Their concern is simply a hasbara deflect, something they have been paid to do.

8. jon s on August 7, 2014, 4:49 pm

Unfortunately it’s not merely rhetoric : synagogues have been attacked, rabbis assaulted, Jewish children threatened.
    Where Anti-Zionism and Anti-Semitism converge , innocent people have been murdered. Anti-Zionists who are not Anti-Semites have a responsibility to speak out, and, in fairness, I know that some do.

9. paul causton on August 7, 2014, 4:57 pm

I was labelled a nazi on the Facebook site ‘jews against genocide’ for decrying the actions of israel (sic) and pleading for a free Palestine… Why would a nazi plead on behalf of muslims and arabs?

10. James Canning on August 7, 2014, 5:36 pm

Israel slaughters Palestinians every few years, as part of insane scheme to keep the West Bank. Those who oppose Israel’s insanity are not necessarily “anti-Semitic”.

11. Gene Shae on August 7, 2014, 10:33 pm

You seem to have invested a lot of time writing a story so people like me will dismiss your double standard. Not going to happen Pam.

• Donald on August 8, 2014, 8:52 pm

You seem to have written a comment containing nothing that resembled an argument, demanding that others dance to your tune. Not going to happen, Gene.

• Mooser on August 8, 2014, 9:21 pm

“demanding that others dance to your tune. Not going to happen, Gene.”

Zionists believe that being imperious, and as unpleasant as possible will get them everything they want, because people will either be afraid of them, or so disgusted with them, they’ll have no choice but to give them everything they want. Me, I think that’s a pretty risky strategy.

• Gene Shae on August 8, 2014, 9:51 pm

You are correct. My intent was to dismiss this rather pathetic article. The author does not need anyone’s permission to have a double standard. Her excuses, moreover, are quite childlike.
        There is no demand on my part however. Mere projection on your part Donald.

12. traintosiberia on August 7, 2014, 10:33 pm

There is a deep fear of crossing lines when the criticism of Israel is concerned. But those lines are created by Israel to kill any attempt to criticize Israel.It is the Zionist who have invented the cant that Antizionism is antisemitism. It is Israel that have invented the slippery slope argument of the possibility of the valid anti Israeli criticism morphing into anti Judaism .

It is Israel who over the years blurred the lines and made the space for criticism disappear while it has engaged one after another in repeated violent behaviors against helpless Gazan including their leaders .
    It is the one that has all the powers. It is who has the supports of the most militarily powerful clubs on earth . It is the country that ignores UN and ignores the pleas of its supporters . It is the country that freely uses the themes of Chamberlain and Hitler. It is the country that sees holocaust every time its military edge over the neighbors are threatened .
    The rocket launching from Gaza in response to provocations which are both periodic and sustained same time is no different from thevscreaming and kicking of a child being molested and hurt by a predator who is using the guns and knives against the child .

So what one can do against a nation armed to the teeth, ignoring the world opinions,showing fingers to friends,and continuing illegal destructive exploitative oppressive behaviors against its neighbors and against the citizen under occupation ? No one who could force Israel will step up in any effective way. S Sudan, E Timor , Croatia and Kosovo could be sired by bombs ,sanctions,and threat but Israel has to be protected by engaging in opposite sets of behaviors .
    Outraged people need to monitor their words!

No one will be hurling enraged angry and sometimes racist comments at Israel if the behaviors of Israel ever changed from milder criticism in the past.
    What’s the point of using same language that was used to criticize Israeli behaviors during Cast Lead? What was point of repeating languages that were used in 2006 or 2000 or 1996 later on in the later conflicts that followed those earlier conflicts ?
    A country would not use same arms that did not achieve the results last time . Israel has not stuck to previous strategies or type of arms used in the past. How does it expect that the criticism of its behaviors will still be at the same friendly level when those efforts in the past did not force Israel change its behaviors? It seems that the helpless world have got only the language to try to change Istarl its behaviors.
    Israel is unhappy with it. Does it remember what words it has used against Arabs,Muslims, and Palestine? Does the critic of liberal ” antisemitism” remember what language was used in the western media following 911? Does it notice what language US media routinely uses against Iran,Russia,Venezuela,and sometimes against Syria?

13. dbroncos on August 7, 2014, 11:04 pm

In addition to the $3b/yr Israel receives from American tax-payers, the indirect cost of supporting Israel has been astronomical. The attacks on 9/11 and the response to those attacks have cost how many trillion dollars? Afghanistan and Iraq now have a price tag of $6 trillion. The infrastructure of a police state has been built at what cost? The President has the self proclaimed authority to assassinate whomever he pleases. Homeland Security is a bloated bureaucracy employing thousands of people whose jobs depend on targeting, arresting, indicting “suspects” – They have offices in every state. The NSA has a mandate to spy on anyone and everyone. We’re told that this police state apparatus is meant to keep us safe from foreign terrorists but if one of “us” rubs political power elites the wrong way we become targets too – ask the Holy Land 5.

9/11 was just a dramatic spike in a decades long history of terrorism against American citizens because of our support for Israel. The follow on response to 9/11 should have included a referendum on what supporting the Zionist disaster has cost us and how much more we’re willing to pay for it. Instead we got Iraq and Afghanistan, TSA, Homeland Security, NSA spying, and three massacres in Gaza.

Khalid Sheik Muhammed’s trial is being delayed, hushed up and kept under the
    auspices of secret military courts for “national security” reasons and because he was tortured. I suspect that a public trial in civilian court is also being disallowed because of what would be revealed about about his motives. Muhammed’s nephew was Ramzy Yousef, convicted of the first Trade Center bombing, who famously said, “We’ll be back.” Yousef cited US support for the ongoing destruction of Palestine as his motive for the ’92 Trade Center bombing.

I’m sure there are more than a few Americans who are motivated by an intense desire to see an end to Israel’s ethnic cleansing campaign not least because of what supporting Israel has cost us. The US government playing step and fetch it for Israel is too rediculous to be funny. And lots of us are mad as hell about it.

• James Canning on August 8, 2014, 2:13 pm

Most Americans are not aware that the cost of “protecting” Israel, to the US, runs well into trillions of dollars.

14. Philip Munger on August 8, 2014, 1:02 am

1. We don’t send hundreds of billions of American tax dollars to the North Koreans so that they can drop or shoot white phosphorus and artillery shells onto or into schools and hospitals.

2. We don’t write tax policies that enable the Han Chinese to invest in housing projects that eject Tibetans from their homes in Lhasa.

3. We don’t have a State Department chief spokesperson whose husband developed an expansionist policy paper for the Iranian government.

4. We don’t cater to lobbyists from Sudan who constantly encourage us to go to all-out war against a neighboring country that hasn’t attacked one of their neighbors in generations.

5. We don’t have a Pentagon whose offices are stuffed with people with dual Somali-American citizenship, who manufacture false premises to march us into a series of wars in the heart of Africa.

6. We aren’t experiencing a time when a small group of ruthless Burmese generals and politicians have hijacked Buddhism, turning it into a militant version of what had once been a great religion, and branding anyone who doesn’t believe in a Myanmar expansion version of Buddhism as anti-Burmese or anti-Buddhist.

7. Additionally, no North Korean, Chinese, Sudanese, Burmese or Somali general, politician, general or warlord is openly bragging that the United States is fighting two wars and threatening to start a third one, on their behalf.

8. The Prime Ministers of Egypt, Syria, Tunisia or Libya have not appeared in American political ads in the most recently run national election, advocating openly against the incumbent president.

9. When a Saudi head of state visits our congress, we don’t have a joint session for him, resulting in more standing ovations than our own President received in his State of the Union address.

10. If the Ukraine government wants money for arms, our congress isn’t there within minutes, voting in a resolution pre-written by the America-Ukraine Public Affairs Committee.

11. Also, and importantly, there is no large body of American people
    who openly believe that we need to foster violence in North Korea, Tibet, China, Somalia, Venezuela, Cuba, Sudan, Libya, Syria, Iran, Saudi Arabia or Burma, so that we may enable the second coming of Jesus Christ, and implement a new age. And there is no cynical tie-in between Columbian politicians who hope to bring money to their country because of some apocalyptic religious myth, and American fundamentalist sects who total in the tens of millions of misguided believers.

• MHughes976 on August 8, 2014, 6:26 am

I won’t match your eloquence, Philip (I think you were a top soccer coach – can see why), but I would emphasise your final point, or an aspect of it. There is nothing remotely like Zionism on the scene of Western discourse: a conception (Jewish people only have ‘birthright’ in the Holy Land) that has no foundation in any normal morality and an execution that is inevitably and inexcusably cruel, yet is routinely excused, robustly and frequently defended and praised. So as a ‘war of ideas’, as we call it here, it is to be fought very urgently.
      Anti-Semitism, in the sense of prejudice against at least some Jewish things, is all but irrelevant.

• Kay24 on August 8, 2014, 7:23 am

All good points. Well written I must say. All points do show just how ridiculous our commitment to a rogue state is, how much we protect and support it, and how much intertwined we are with it’s war crimes.

• Pamela Olson on August 8, 2014, 10:37 am

Excellent points, Philip, and well-written. I feel like it should be appended to the post itself, or written up as a new one.

• Philip Munger on August 8, 2014, 7:09 pm

Pamela: Thanks. Have at ’em!

I have made a copy that includes multiple embedded HTML links to articles that underpin what is stated in the list. Phil W. has my email address, if you would like me to find a way to send the complete list to you.

• Kathleen on August 9, 2014, 8:50 am

Yep. Going to share this. Thanks PM

15. Kay24 on August 8, 2014, 7:19 am

It seems the war has helped the BDS movement:

“Gaza war gives massive boost to boycott Israel apps
    ‘Long live Palestine, boycott Israel’ campaign surges from a only a few hundred users in early-July to over a quarter-of-a-million today.
    The Gaza hostilities appear to have given a huge boost to the anti-Israel boycott campaign – or at least to that part of it that uses apps to identify offending products.

Buycott, an app that catalogues brands and their affiliations and lets users set up campaigns to either help or boycott causes, reports that the number of people using its “Long live Palestine, boycott Israel” group…”