Israeli gov’t used my image for propaganda purposes without my consent

News

On September 9, the Israeli agency for Coordination of Government Activities in the (Palestinian) Territories, or COGAT, posted the photograph below, aimed at proving that Palestinian students are freely leaving Gaza for opportunities abroad. “It wrote: LIVE: 65 students exit #Gaza to study abroad #LikeEveryMonth.” The student in the propaganda photo saw it and wrote a response. She has allowed us to publish it. –Editors.

My response to COGAT’s photo of me as I crossed Erez from Gaza

Not only was I shocked to see the Israeli “Coordination of Government Activities in the Territories” photo of myself on their facebook post, but even more disgusted by the fact they have used it to make a claim that is 100% false. This is ME in this picture- the Palestinian woman.

Mukarram AbuAlouf (left) leaving Gaza by Erez Crossing, in Israeli propaganda photo

And yes, I did get out of the Gaza Strip through The Israeli Erez Checkpoint on December, 29th 2014 which was eight months ago. The laugh I have on my face is a laugh out of fear and indeed it was a miracle the photographer caught that moment given the ordeal I had just been through. I spent the entire time extremely scared as the checkpoint was full of Israeli soldiers with their advanced weapons, knowing full well they controlled our entire lives. I was thinking to myself that they can shoot me in the blink of an eye and I will be just another number of the Palestinian body count, killed by Israel and forgotten by the outside world. So I was indeed relieved just to get through and experience those extra steps of momentary freedom that nearly all of my people in Gaza are never permitted to take. Especially given that I had already lived through the three Israeli assaults from 2008-2015 against the Gaza Strip that had their own impact on me and my family. Too scared to focus, I even lost my wallet that had my I-20 in it, and without the I-20 that comes along with the visa I could not travel to the USA to join the university – I actually got stuck in Amman-Jordan for two weeks. This created other complications and obstacles for me. I lost a lot of other personal items at the checkpoint and who wouldn’t, with the kind of nerves that anyone would have traveling abroad for the first time and facing up close the guns and soldiers who had long denied me my freedom and spent the whole of last summer massacring my people.

On the day I left Gaza through Erez, I was planning to spend a few days in Ramallah with my uncle and his family, but I was not allowed. Eventually, I found out that we were a group of students (who had got their scholarships through the PLO – unlike me) who had received coordination from the Palestinian Authority to ONLY pass through present-day Israel directly to Amman. Luckily, I was included in this group because I had the American F1 student visa and a visa to Jordan. This and the fact I had frequently applied to get a permit and been rejected so they just let me through. For many others, places abroad are dashed for Palestinians just as deserving of their placement abroad. In the end, we got on a bus, were driven directly to Amman and had a police car from the Israeli government right behind us for the entire journey until we got to the Jordanian crossing.

This picture was published WITHOUT my consent and is an example of how the camera lies. But what do I expect from an occupation that evolved into a state that was built on manipulation, aggression, lies and the destruction of other peoples’ lives?

To imprison and kill us with the world watching – we are used to this. To use us as photo opportunities to falsely present Israel’s treatment of us as kind, is an even greater insult.

Mukarram AbuAlouf

About Mukarram AbuAlouf

Mukarram AbuAlouf is a graduate student at the University of Oklahoma, and currently working part-time as a teacher of Arabic, as allowed by her F1 visa.

1. pabelmont
    pabelmont on September 12, 2015, 10:22 am

Such a friendly photo — Muslim girl and presumably-Jewish Israeli soldier girl, both smiling, soldier wearing the star-and-bars of Israel (not the star-of-david alone).

But even if the smiles were both genuine, what does it prove, and to whom?

(I’m so old-fashioned and out-of-touch. I just don’t understand the new “social media”. Maybe a photo like this is worth 10,000 words to the hasbaristas.)

2. a blah chick
    a blah chick on September 12, 2015, 11:17 am

This reminds me of the photo the IDF put on Twitter during the Gaza war showing a soldier giving water to a blind old woman. “Look, see how moral we are!” A few days later someone in Gaza put up a picture of her shot dead.

And, no, the IDF did not include THAT one on their Twitter feed.

3. jon s
    jon s on September 12, 2015, 5:31 pm

I can understand Ms. Abu Alouf’s objections to the use of the photo without her consent.
    But that doesn’t mean that the image is false: she had, indeed, passed through the checkpoint on her way to America and her smile reflects her relief . The Israeli is apparently a junior officer, who appears to be unarmed, and dragging a suitcase . Her own? Assisting Ms, AbuAlouf or someone else? Hard to tell…

• eGuard
      eGuard on September 12, 2015, 6:43 pm

Hi jon s. The image was false. Bye.

Mooser on September 12, 2015, 10:50 pm

Shorter “Jon s”:
      ‘We are entitled to take anything we want from Palestinians, at any time. She’s lucky it was just an image we wanted”

Mooser on September 13, 2015, 12:46 am

“Jon s” seems especially upset with the idea that the Palestinians woman, herself, knew why she was smiling at that point. Naturally, she was feeling exactly the emotions “Jon s” (who has never deliberately lied on this blog) posits for her, not the ones she describes.

• annie
      annie on September 13, 2015, 12:20 am

But that doesn’t mean that the image is false

other than the fact it states it is “live: ” and claims 65 people just crossed yet the photo was taken last year? and what is 65 students in a population of 1.7 million?

plus, some people instinctively, when faced with a camera crew, smile. it was a set up. she shouldn’t be used to promote how wonderful israel is.

look at these smiling faces, see how happy they are?

• Djinn
      Djinn on September 13, 2015, 12:48 am

The person in the photo says it’s false, that that is a smile of nervousness and fear but she’s Palestinian AND a woman so obviously Jon knows better. Zionist mansplaining is so much more believable than lived experience.

• Marnie
      Marnie on September 13, 2015, 4:05 am

“The Israeli is apparently a junior officer, who appears to be unarmed, and dragging a suitcase”. Nothing gets past Deputy Dawg. Kinda doubt so-called junior ossifer is helping Ms. AbuAlouf though. Really doubt it. NOT HAPPENING. Maybe IDF photo bomb. Maybe she helped herself to some of Ms. Abu Alouf’s personal possessions – sheesh, maybe she searched her and that’s why SHE is smiling. Maybe Ms. AbuAlouf is smiling because she got out alive; that’d put a smile on anyone’s face and basically that’s what she explained anyway so why don’t you just take her word for it?

• Accentitude
      Accentitude on September 14, 2015, 4:03 am

The image is indeed false because the context in which it was presented is false. The story of the photo, as stated by the Israelis is false. It was not presented truthfully as a depiction of what young Palestinian men and women go through to cross the Gaza border. No, of course not and it certainly doesn’t provide truth to COGAT’s false statement that Palestinians in Gaza are free to travel abroad to study. Hence: The image is false.

On the positive side though, human rights activists around the world have commandeered COGAT’s hashtag #justlikeeverymonth and it is doing quite well to debunk their own lies:

• montereypinegreen
      montereypinegreen on September 14, 2015, 8:34 pm

Jon S., Did you bother to read her explanation? Or is it just that you figure that all those “Palis” are liars?

• Mondowise
      Mondowise on September 15, 2015, 4:02 am

well, if this isn’t another typical but sickening denial of a Palestinian’s reality…

she states very clearly why she’s smiling, how dare you attempt (albeit, unsuccessfully) to steal her heart, her emotions, her thoughts, her words, her mind, her soul. SHAME ON YOU! have some RESPECT for another being’s life!

• jd65
        jd65 on September 15, 2015, 12:12 pm

@ Mondowise: Well put.

• YoniFalic
        YoniFalic on September 15, 2015, 1:14 pm

Should we be surprised that European invaders, after stealing Palestine and perpetrating a genocide on the Palestinians, misappropriated an image and used it for propaganda?

Not many years ago I could have been one of those racist soldiers at a checkpoint.

4. Kay24
    Kay24 on September 12, 2015, 7:00 pm

Israel does have a nasty reputation of doing things without consent. Netanyahu invited himself to speak in congress against Obama’s nuclear deal with Iran without consent, they have an on going military occupation going on without consent, they steal land and build illegal settlements without consent, they control the drinking water and sell it back to the previous Palestinian owners without consent, and interfere in our affairs without consent. They are such an arrogant and entitled lot.

See the pattern here?

• Citizen
      Citizen on September 13, 2015, 12:35 am

Boehner’s decision to invite a foreign head of government, Netanyahu, to address Congress without first consulting the sitting president has no precedent in American history. And for a simple reason. It’s unconstitutional. Boehner also asked Netanyahu not to tell President Obama.
      I don’t recall the main media remarking about this at all.

• Eva Smagacz
        Eva Smagacz on September 13, 2015, 5:18 am

“Boehner also asked Netanyahu not to tell President Obama”

I always imagined it was the other way round

• Kay24
        Kay24 on September 13, 2015, 6:59 am

I wasn’t in the country during that time, but knowing how the US media operates, no surprise.

• Accentitude
        Accentitude on September 14, 2015, 4:05 am

Don’t worry much about Boehner. He committed political suicide and now that the Iran Deal is approved and done, Boehner, Netanyahu, Morty Klein and his ZOA minions and AIPAC all have egg all over their faces. Their days are numbered.

• CigarGod
        CigarGod on September 14, 2015, 9:59 am

Time to become lobbyists.

• montereypinegreen
      montereypinegreen on September 14, 2015, 8:37 pm

They also have taken over American democracy without our consent, and help themselves to billions every year of our tax dollars without our consent. (Our Congress voted for those appropriations, you say? How do you think those Congressmen are treated if they don’t do what Israel tells them to do? Go back to Point #1.)

5. jd65
    jd65 on September 12, 2015, 10:08 pm

Excellent piece Mukarram! Thank you for writing. I’m glad you were able to get where you wanted to go (“where the wind comes sweeping down the plain…”). Welcome to the U.S.! Obviously there are many problems here. But at this site we’re all (most anyway…) aware of our country’s facilitation in the occupation of Palestine and the abuse of your people there (and here…). But hopefully you are enjoying yourself and are finding that there are a good amount of folks here who realize what’s been happening to your country for the last century. We are with you. We wish peace and justice for you…

6. DaBakr
    DaBakr on September 12, 2015, 10:33 pm

Her family was probably threatened with death by the hamas so she had no choice but to defend her Israel hating cred. We’ve all seen this many times b4. How the Palestinian hasbarists keep their people in line.

• annie
      annie on September 13, 2015, 12:48 am

because secretly, like most palestinians, she adores israel and would love nothing more to promote how awesome cognat is but hamas prevents her. uh huh.

• DaBakr
        DaBakr on September 13, 2015, 1:43 am

@an

no. not necessarily “adores” but might be ambivalent about experience with Israelis in general until she was pressured to reject any positive aspect to the GOI

Mooser on September 13, 2015, 2:31 pm

“no. not necessarily “adores” but might be ambivalent about experience with Israelis in general until she was pressured”

Oh no, WSDOT and Tunnel Partners are going to sue my ass right out of Wa. state! “Dabakr is headed for Bellingham, Victoria BC and points north! Once that fellow sets out to dig hisself a hole, there’s no stopping him.

• tree
        tree on September 13, 2015, 10:00 pm

What “positive aspect” do you think she experienced? The 3 GOI military assaults on Gaza that she experienced since 2008? The repeated GOI rejections of her request for a permit to leave so she could study abroad ? The refusal of her request to visit her uncle in Ramallah before leaving? The fact that they didn’t shoot her at the crossing?

Why do apologists for Israel act as if there is some “positive aspect” to the GOI for Palestinians? Do they really think the rest of us are so stupid, or are they so brainwashed (or stupid?) that they believe it themselves?

• DaBakr
        DaBakr on September 14, 2015, 12:45 pm

@tr

why….?

Your obviously too ignorant to understand that 1000s of normal average Palestinians understand that their lives under the ‘GOI’ are not only good and decent lives -but-are much better then Arabs in neighboring states. And as for Gaza residents-other then on the PalMedia where all residents hate the GOI there are many residents who wish for the days before disengagement and dealing with the GOI was much less restrictive than under Hamas.
        So yes-to answer your question ‘we’ really do think you are “so stupid” because you base your opinions on what you read-and believe with reckless devotion- and not what you have (never) seen or experienced in life and reject due to overly loyal political polemics.

All of that said-it does not mean that average Palestinians have great love for the GOI but aren’t so manipulative as to deny its benefits. Maybe not so different then all the American left-wing extremists who complain bitterly of the things they believe are evil and wrong with the USA. But then its so much easier for leftists people here to focus on the ME and the goI then the problems and hypocrisies innate to the US-since its harder to look in the mirror when the past is chock full of genocide, holocaust, broken treaties , war and many other injustices. Best to focus on others problems then the ones embedded into the narrative of the USA.

• annie
        annie on September 14, 2015, 1:20 pm

zzzzzzzzz

• Kris
        Kris on September 14, 2015, 3:32 pm

@DaBakr: “1000s of normal average Palestinians understand that their lives under the ‘GOI’ are not only good and decent lives -but-are much better then Arabs in neighboring states.”

That’s exactly what white supremacists in Texas used to say back in the (Jim Crow) day! People in Ethiopia, or wherever the latest famine was, were MUCH worse off than those dark-skinned people on the other side of our town!

• YoniFalic
        YoniFalic on September 15, 2015, 6:11 pm

I attended a pro-Palestinian seminar. One of the speakers called DaBakr’s spiel an update to the “happy darky” narrative that irredentist US Southern white racists used to proclaim.

Post-Civil War US white racists created a completely fake history of the Old South and Slavery just as Zionists have created a completely false history of the “Land of Israel” and the non-existent “Jewish people” as Shlomo Sand has pointed out.

I find it hard to believe that I was once as despicable as DaBakr (or should it be “The Barker”?).

Mooser on September 13, 2015, 2:17 am

“How the Palestinian hasbarists keep their people in line….

Interesting phrasing. So you use “hasbarists” as a word for the lowest kind of propaganda monger, one who works by threats. Well, you ought to know, I guess.

• Talkback
      Talkback on September 13, 2015, 4:06 am

Yeah DaBakr, an you are probably one of the students that Israel pays to keep not only Judaism in line.

• DaBakr
        DaBakr on September 14, 2015, 1:00 pm

@t
        sorry-that is not how the goi works. my students are free to spout off about anything they want. and besides that-there is almost surely a community of like-minded who will embrace any said students political persuasions. surely you are not that ignorant and know of the far-left news outlets here such as Harrtz and their columnists like Haas and Levy. perhaps they are ‘paid’ to keep Israelis in line with their beliefs as well.

@ms

“interesting phrasing”. why is it so interesting. anti-Zionists took an every day word with no real equivalent in the west and tried to turn it into something nefarious. in fact-i would say the Palestinians have been more guilty of turning their ‘version’ or ‘explanation’ of their narrative into a truly nefarious scheme. but then you are probably comfortable assigning the simple hebrew word for explanation a Zionist definition when there is absolutely no reason it can’t apply to any nation, any people or any cause. but then we already know what type of bigot you are. you were the one who drew an analogy between the Palestinians use of “the lowest kind of propaganda monger”-not anybody else. take responsibility for your words for once

• annie
        annie on September 14, 2015, 1:17 pm

please explain. do you have any links to palestinian writers you could use as examples?

Mooser on September 14, 2015, 1:22 pm

“Palestinians have been more guilty of turning their ‘version’ or ‘explanation’ of their narrative into a truly nefarious scheme.”

DaBakr, you were only supposed to dig to the North Portal, not all the way to Alaska!

• echinococcus
        echinococcus on September 14, 2015, 2:27 pm

Abu Bakr

“my students”

Say no more.

• echinococcus
        echinococcus on September 14, 2015, 2:38 pm

Abu Bakr
        Re: ha-sebara

You’re probably right there.
        It’s always a mistake to use the enemy’s own words.
        It’s plain propaganda, as the world has been used to receive from Dr. Goebbels and his organization –among others. Only more sophisticated and with hugely greater means (probably including your stipend.) That’s how to call it, propaganda.
        As for “turning it into something nefarious” it can’t be as nefarious as what it defends: colonial conquest, international terrorism and genocide.

• Kris
        Kris on September 14, 2015, 3:26 pm

@DaBakr: “my students are free to spout off about anything they want.”

So you and jon s are both “teachers”?

Mooser on September 14, 2015, 3:49 pm

“So you and jon s are both “teachers”?”

Yes, “Kris” but please remember, the way they approach these things in the classroom is completely the opposite, in content and level of discourse, from the, ahhh…, the “stuff” we’ve seen from them here over the past couple of years.

Why, if you saw them in their Israeli classroom, you would think they worked for JVP or something!

Funny, aren’t there two threads up about the Israel education system up now on Mondo? Why, they should have lots to contribute!

Mooser on September 14, 2015, 5:00 pm

“that is not how the goi works. my students are free to”

“Dabakr” you chump, we know how the GOI works as far as education , Haaretz’s Or Kashti just told us about it.

So which system do you work for?

“It is segregated into 37% secular Jewish, 20% Arab, 25% ultra-Orthodox and 18% Orthodox.” – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2015/09/rightwing-religious-education#sthash.UhObz9Rm.dpuf

So which one of those segregated educational systems do you teach for?

• DaBakr
        DaBakr on September 14, 2015, 8:20 pm

to all those so curious about ‘teacher’ status-the answer is non-political. vocational/design oriented. surely mosr can find some way to make an inane comment about that too.

@an
        in my personal opinion-the Palestinian pr machine has used more deceptive techniques as a tool to fight the Zionist entity. You may see this in a completely opposite way but again-it is my opinion based on what I have seen read and experienced. It would be disingenuous for me to say that the Palestinians are not entitled to use any weapon at their disposal but it does not me I have to approve of it. Its like any weapon in a war. maybe you think you ‘own’ the ‘real’ truth

• pjdude
      pjdude on September 13, 2015, 10:46 am

your family must be so proud of your sociopathy

• CigarGod
      CigarGod on September 13, 2015, 11:20 am

Every spring when it’s calving time, we sit on our horses and watch mother cows take care of their young. About 1 out of 20 don’t do a good job. We call them Big Mac’s. These new mother cows…for whatever reason have little to none maternal instinct. They often give birth and walk away abandoning their newborn. They don’t even lick them clean. We find them in the herd by their cries for their mother. Because of both compassion and money, we attempt to re-unite them. We try to get the mother to nurse them. They don’t want to. They even kick them away…and abandon them again. After several attempts, we mark them for sale. People who supply McDonalds and other burger joints buy them…cheap. They are a scurly, unkempt cows anyway. Their behavior is odd. They stand out. No one wants them in their herd.
      Thought you might identify with that mother cow, dabakr.

• DaBakr
        DaBakr on September 14, 2015, 1:10 pm

@cg

now your talking farming. interesting aside. I can’t say much about heifers but i know quite a bit about broody chickens. i can relate to them-but only from the mind-set of a Rhode Island Red, which, btw, there is a very beautiful Israeli hybrid of –

Mooser on September 14, 2015, 1:24 pm

.” I can’t say much about heifers”

Except, of course, the perfect Red Heifer that Dabakr is waiting for.

• DaBakr
        DaBakr on September 14, 2015, 8:26 pm

@ms

finally-mosr makes an appropriate (but still inane) joke. at least I can understand what the reference is about. the red heifer affair is rather humourous. however the religious are entitled to their non-violent and archaic customs no matter how absurd-so I would not necessarily look down upon the pahrah-edom fanatics. the last one i read about from poland had only 3 [three!] white hairs. so close.

• diasp0ra
      diasp0ra on September 13, 2015, 1:27 pm

The ability of Zionists to explain away everything as a conspiracy against them never ceases to amaze me. Palestinian hasbarists? lol.

We’re not the ones literally hiring people and paying them money to spread our narrative. But keep believing DaBakr.

War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength.

• DaBakr
        DaBakr on September 14, 2015, 1:18 pm

@d

so your really so naive as to think Palestinians spend no money spreading their ‘message’ around the world. i think you deserve the bigger ‘lol’. other then the Abbas family trust fund where do you think the billions given to ‘aide’ Palestinians goes. Certainly not the people.

@z
        well aware that Hamas was elected. they would likely be elected in a cinch in the WB as well. not sure why you seem to regard this as a positive development. either for Palestinian human rights or the prospects of an independent state-Hamas instills no confidence in any of the powers that would be needed to back a state

• zaid
        zaid on September 14, 2015, 4:28 pm

Of cource it is positive thing.

Hamas doesnot recognize israel.

• diasp0ra
        diasp0ra on September 14, 2015, 4:29 pm

@DaBakr

No, the Palestinian Authority has a very strict budget that is mandated from outside powers. They have no budget to “propaganda” like Israel does. You live on a different planet if you think the Palestinians spend “billions in aid” on spreading our message.

This also shows you have no idea whatsoever on how foreign aid is administered and used, and how incredibly strict and monitored it has become since 2007.

Please tell me of any PA propaganda on the level of the Ministry hiring people to spread their narrative, you can’t.

The biggest evidence is that the biggest pro-Palestinian groups such as BDS are grassroots and don’t receive a penny in funding from the PA or pro PA groups. Unlike Israeli hasbarists.

• zaid
        zaid on September 14, 2015, 4:30 pm

@d

The aid money goes to pay the salaries of 250000 employee of the PLO which protects israel with its 70000 armed member.

• DaBakr
        DaBakr on September 14, 2015, 8:34 pm

@das

hah. a “very strict” budget? you must be on crack. even Palestinian resistance fighters/activists and other normal citizens know how the top 10 PA leadership got to be billionaires. you really can’t be serious. you make out like Palestinians are fools which they are decidedly not. Maybe some feel that any money spent on PR is worth it but a “strict budget”? don’t make me laugh.

• diasp0ra
        diasp0ra on September 15, 2015, 8:50 am

@DB

Can you read?

I said since 2007. Most PA fortunes were made in the early post-Oslo period. Plus, corruption in the PA =/= using foreign aid funds to spread “propaganda” which was your original point.

I’m still waiting on you to show me any concrete proof use of Palestinian aid funds on “propaganda”. There is a lot of proof that Israeli funds are dedicated to it.

• zaid
      zaid on September 13, 2015, 10:50 pm

You mean the Hamas that they elected.

by the way Hamas won the election in Beir Zeit university recently nad several other universities.

• montereypinegreen
      montereypinegreen on September 14, 2015, 8:44 pm

“Palestinian hasbarists…”?!

There are no Palestinian hasbarists. The only trolls we know of are you Israeli hasbarists. “By way of deception shall you do war.”

How much do you get to spread your Zionist lies, anyway? . Most of your pay comes from hard-working Americans’ tax dollars.

• catalan
        catalan on September 14, 2015, 8:51 pm

“How much do you get to spread your Zionist lies, anyway? . – ”

• eljay
        eljay on September 15, 2015, 9:04 am

|| catalan: Top tier writers (such as myself) can receive 150 or more per post. Apprentices usually earn much less. Within a few years one can make a decent living. It’s a good gig if you can get it. ||

I guess the Potato-man didn’t find it lucrative enough or simply didn’t make the grade. :-(

Well, at least he still has his potatoes… :-)

• Accentitude
      Accentitude on September 16, 2015, 5:28 am

If you want to look at whom is keeping whom in line, it shouldn’t be that difficult.

Israel has since the start of this occupation attempted to dissolve the Palestinian resistance by orchestrating turmoil between various Palestinian groups, most especially Hamas and Fatah.

Lest we forget that Hamas in it’s original form was simply a Palestinian branch of the Islamic Brotherhood in Egypt. Israel saw this group and attempted to use it as an opposition to the leftist “radical” Fateh and the PLO in hopes of destroying them. Needless to say that this failed and when Hamas became politically involved just prior to the first Intifada, they set their sights, and appropriately so, on fighting the Israeli occupation.

Later on, Israel signed the Oslo Accords with the very group that it attempted to overthrow by supporting Hamas (Fateh), and as a result the Palestinian Authority was established and security coordination began between the PA and Israel, especially in targeting and reducing the capacity of Hamas. This also does not discount that even though there was coordination between the PA and Israel, the Israelis still targeted Arafat, leader of the PA….as well as murdering Sheikh Ahmed Yassein, the wheelchair bound Spiritual Leader of Hamas, through a targeted air strike. And when Hamas won the general elections through a fair process, Israel, the PA and the United States refused to recognize the legitimacy of the democratically elected Hamas government, sparking a war between Gaza and the West Bank.

So as you can see, it is has always been Israel that has tried in various ways to keep the Palestinians in line by fragmenting the Palestinian people along political and ideological lines and playing them against each other.

7. just
    just on September 13, 2015, 7:11 am

” Luckily, I was included in this group because I had the American F1 student visa and a visa to Jordan.”

The average American does not understand nor cares to know about visas. This ignorance does and will prevail as long as Americans keep visiting Disney as though it’s a country .

Thank you, Mukarram AbuAlouf. Say it loud, say it proud! Only you can own yourself and your history, your dreams, and your nightmares.

Many blessings and good wishes to and for you.

8. joer
    joer on September 13, 2015, 5:05 pm

From the picture, one would get the idea that Mukarram and her guard have quickly developed a close intimate friendship. Why, Mukarram is positively beaming to be in the presence of an IDF soldier. I haven’t seen such bliss since pictures of darkies in the old South beaming when their master comes to the field to see how the cotton harvest is coming along.

BTW, welcome to America Mukarram. I hope your studies go well here.

9. Blaine Coleman
    Blaine Coleman on September 13, 2015, 5:06 pm

Congratulations to Mukarram, and thank you for reminding students of the kind of inhuman dictatorship that Israel works so hard to enforce over Palestinian life, most hellishly in Gaza.

I want you to know that not all campuses are silent. Two of us spoke at the University of Michigan student government last week, demanding a resolution to boycott Israel to the maximum extent allowed by law.

Then four people with “Boycott Israel” and “Defeat Israel” signs appeared at a demonstration in downtown Ann Arbor on September 11, 2015.

Here is what the ‘Michigan Daily’ reported, at https://michigandaily.com/section/news/residents-hold-vigil-support-iran-deal

‘Attendees also included four noticeably anti-Israel activists, holding signs that read “boycott Israel” and “defeat Israel.” ‘

I hope to see this kind of public verbal defiance against Israel spread across U.S. campuses this September. Don’t they deserve it?

2204 dead Palestinians, in Gaza, are always in front of my eyes. I simply can’t believe the campuses aren’t erupting with cries of “Boycott Israel” from coast to coast.

Boycott the racist bastard state, and do it now. Don’t wait for the next massacre.

10. Mahmoud El-Yousseph
    Mahmoud El-Yousseph on September 14, 2015, 10:37 am

Israel is trying to create an image that does not fit her as a racist and apartheid state.
    Using the photograph of Mukarram AbuAlouf for a propaganda purposes by Israel, Miss
    AbuAlouf rihts were violated. Israel is trying to tell the rest of the world that Gazans and IDF are just a happy family. Who can dispute this genuine smile by young Palestinian woman along with one IOF who may have killed many Palestinians and Gaza during her military tour of duty. Plus, could you believe that one member of most immoral army in the world is helping a young Palestinian lady by dragging her heavy luggage? Israel was founded in 1948, was built on stolen Palestinian lands and is based ever since on lies, theft and deception. Thank you Mondoweiss for posting the story of Mukarram AbuAlouf and good luck to her in her study in the good ol’ USA.

11. eljay
    eljay on September 15, 2015, 7:40 am

Gaza is not under occupation (the Zio-supremacists tell us), but Israel:
    – has an agency devoted to “government activites in the (Palestinian) territories”; and
    – decides whether or not / how many students from Gaza are permitted to leave Gaza to study abroad.

Next thing you know, Israel will be restricting the number of medical permits issued to people in non-occupied Gaza to travel to other parts of non-occupied Palestine…