Hypothesis: Cappuccino Israelis will be radicalized against apartheid

Last night a friend reminded me that when he visits our site, he enters a hailstorm of criticism of Israel, and the weather never changes! Well, here are two great pieces by Israelis from over the weekend reminding us that many Israelis also share a desire for transformative change of their society. Ofer Neiman sent along the first article with the exquisite hypothesis in my headline, and Neiman wasn’t being snarky.

That first piece is “An Apology to My Killer in the Event of My Death in the Current Wave of Violence,” published in Haaretz; Rogel Alpher says that he can only fairly expect to be killed in a terror attack because Palestinians are unequal and they are justly incensed about it. Something that might surprise Americans to read. And note that Alpher has no problem with equality in a binational state. A point I have always tried to make to American Zionists during their struggles on the Amtrak or the commuter train: Would it really wreck your political dreamlife so much if tomorrow Zionism went poof and no one had to die; wouldn’t that be an exchange you’d make gratefully? Alpher says  yes; and it’s his life on the line. Excerpts:

In the event of my death in the current wave of terrorism, in the event that a terrorist, male or female, runs me over or stabs me, I would like to announce in advance that my final words are:
I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner. Really. What took you so long? Countless times, while passing a construction site on one of the city streets during the quiet, early hours of the morning, I’ve wondered why one of the Palestinian laborers there didn’t grab a drill bit or shovel, a saw or a hammer, and murder me.
I have never believed in the myth of coexistence in this country. I don’t believe in coexistence based on extreme inequality when it comes to human rights, social status and economic opportunities….

I always abhorred tours of Jerusalem’s Old City. I spotted the look that the Palestinians in the alleyways gave, a combination of humiliation and anger. If I die in the current wave of terrorism, in talking about me, I want you to say that I refused to eat the hummus [symbol of co-existence]…
On the other hand, someone who has refused to go for hummus would not be surprised at the current wave of terrorism, but instead just surprised that it took so long to come. And such a person’s political position doesn’t change now, when instead of wiping hummus off their plates, they’re wiping blood off the streets….
And if my murderers also die, I apologize to them at this time, in advance; not because I deserved to die, and not because they have the right to kill me, but so my death is worth something, so it has some value, some significance, no matter how small. I have no God. I don’t need the Temple Mount. I have no problem living with the Palestinians as full equals in a binational state or as a peace-loving neighbors in my country and next to their own. What use would I have for revenge on my behalf after my death? I apologize for my paltry role in the injustice of the occupation. Even after my death.

Notice Alpher’s secular declaration re the Temple Mount. How absurd that this should even be an issue; but it is to religious-archaeologist Jeffrey Goldberg!

And on that theme, Uri Avnery at antiwar.com says that the “real battle for Israel” has begun, a religious/political struggle between the old-order secular Laborites in Tel Aviv and the peripheral-settler-zealot-warriors who have taken over the government. He says the settlers captured the government because they are the frontier warriors for the society; and that’s how history works:

[A]fter the conquests of 1967, the “national-religious” group suddenly became a moving force. The conquest of the Temple Mount in East Jerusalem and all the other biblical sites filled them with religious fervor. From being a marginal minority, they became a powerful driving force.

They created the settlers’ movement and set up many dozens of new towns and villages throughout the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem. With the energetic help of all successive Israeli governments, both left and right, they grew and prospered. While the leftist “peace camp” degenerated and withered, they spread their wings.

The “national-religious” party, once one of the most moderate forces in Israeli politics, turned into the ultra-nationalist, almost fascist “Jewish Home” party. The settlers also became a dominant force in the Likud party. They now control the government. Avigdor Lieberman, a settler, leads an even more rightist party, in nominal opposition. The star of the “center”, Yair Lapid, founded his party in the Ariel settlement and now talks like an extreme rightist. Yitzhak Herzog, the leader of the Labor Party, tries feebly to emulate them.

All of them now use settler-speak. They no longer talk of the West Bank, but use the settler language: “Judea and Samaria”…

[E]ven.. “comfort” settlers become extremists, in order to survive and defend their homes, while people in Tel Aviv enjoy their cafes and theaters. Many of these old-timers already hold a second passport, just in case. No wonder the settlers are taking over the state.

The process is already well advanced. The new police chief is a kippah-wearing former settler. So is the chief of the Secret Service. More and more of the army and police officers are settlers. In the government and in the Knesset, the settlers wield a huge influence.

Some 18 years ago, when my friends and I first declared an Israeli boycott of the products of the settlements, we saw what was coming.

This is now the real battle for Israel.

Notice Avnery’s respect for the boycott tool. An idea that American Zionists struggling on the Amtrak and in nice restaurants in Soho are against. (And yes; Jews in the U.S. must divide, too.)

Philip Weiss

Philip Weiss is senior editor of Mondoweiss.net and founded the site in 2005-06.

1. Maximus Decimus Meridius on October 19, 2015, 3:19 pm

I’d love to agree with you, Phil, but unfortunately I can’t.

In fact, I think the opposite is much more likely. Far from belatedly realising the error of their ways, the current ‘cycle of violence’ is much more likely to encourage ”liberal” Zionists to drop the mask, and come out as what the majority of them really are – hard-core anti-Palestinians. When the chips are down, Israelis always circle the wagons – remember that upwards of 95% of Israelis supported the Gaza massacre, just as they have supported (tacitly or otherwise) all of Israel’s wars, sieges and occupations.

While the likes of NYT and Jonathan Freedland would like to think that ‘violence’ causes ‘soul searching’ among Israelis, in reality it unleashes the inner beast of Zionism. Deep down – or not so deep down – the majority of Israeli Jews seem incapable of thinking that anyone other than themselves can be a victim. And so, when a small number of their own tribe are indeed victims – though, as always, way outnumbered by innocent Palestinian victims – this only reinforces the sense of paranoia inherent within Zionism.

Sadly, things are going to get worse – perhaps much worse – before they get better. And history has shown us that there is no point whatsoever to waiting around for ”liberal Zionists” to see the light, because it just isn’t going to happen.

• echinococcus on October 19, 2015, 7:18 pm

Yes, in fact it’s a problem of double tribal allegiance: it’s not only Weiss. Many otherwise very valuable people seem to be keeping good family relationships and friendships with Zionists; and the “liberals” among them remain ready to believe that just because a Zionist declares himself “liberal” or votes Democrat he is ready to turn over and abjure Zionism.

• Mooser on October 20, 2015, 10:06 am

“Many otherwise very valuable people seem to be keeping good family relationships and friendships with Zionists”

Maybe they don’t know how much better their lives will be if they drop those folks, or maybe they hope to inherit something. Never forget, an inheritance is a gift, not an obligation. Yes, even to a son.

It is seems to me that Phil Weiss has a ‘policy’ of using encouragement instead of condemnation wherever he can possibly apply it. That is a good thing. We already know what condemnation-in-advance looks like, we get enough from Zionists. We already know what speculating on the lowest possible motive is like, we get plenty from Zionists. Phil is doing the right thing, I think.

• echinococcus on October 21, 2015, 9:33 am

Perhaps, Mooser. Not very likely. In my experience the results have always been disastrous.

• Krauss on October 20, 2015, 9:03 am

We don’t have to speculate about this Maximus. Look at the Sodastream episode. All of the “liberal” Zionists dropped their masks there.

In the end, there won’t be many conversions. I think fundamentally people know what they are supporting, beneath all the bullshit, and they are fine with it. We have to accept that. That’s why I always thought change had to come from the outside, and that’s what has happened by and large and what will continue to happen. It doesn’t fit Phil’s romantic narrative of Jewish redemption, but frankly that’s unlikely to happen. How many white southerners reformed from within? Change came from the outside. Did the french settlers in Algeria reform from within?

It’s always outside pressure. And outside, in this instance, isn’t geography, but ethnicity.

2. eljay on October 19, 2015, 3:30 pm

… I have no problem living with the Palestinians as full equals in a binational state or as a peace-loving neighbors in my country and next to their own. …

Assuming that by “my country” he means…
    – a secular and democratic Israel of and for all of its Israeli citizens, immigrants, expats and refugees, equally; and not
    – a religion-supremacist “Jewish State” primarily of and for Jewish Israelis and non-Israeli Jews,
    …I offer my respect to Mr. Alpher.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a single Zio-supremacist either in Israel or elsewhere in the world who would agree with or support his point of view.

3. atime forpeace on October 19, 2015, 4:25 pm

I have come to accept that the standard operating procedure for those of the Judaic persuasion here in the U.S when discussing Israel and the dilemma of the Palestinians seem to be similar to how i would have imagined it could have been like if some Germans in Germany were openly discussing the condition of Jews in the Warsaw ghetto in Poland over a glass of some good quality Riesling at their favorite eating establishment in the confines of their homeland, waxing eloquent in a rabbinical sort of way about the living conditions of the Jews, and whether it was good for the Germans or not good for the Germans, all the while complimenting themselves for how open minded they were and how enlightened they were openly discussing the wall being built around the ghetto all the while the abuses continued. I imagine they might have had the same fears of being overheard by other members of their clan who might not have been so sympathetic to the accepted policies being discussed outside a certain framework.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius on October 19, 2015, 6:30 pm

“whether it was good for the Germans or not good for the Germans, all the while complimenting themselves for how open minded they were and how enlightened they were openly discussing the wall being built around the ghetto all the while the abuses continued.”

I think you’ve really captured the naval-gazing narcissim of ”liberal Zionists”.

Ultimately, it’s all about them, never about their victims. Because in their minds, they are the only real victims.

• lysias on October 19, 2015, 7:02 pm

Speaking of Germany and Israel, here’s a quote from Max Hastings’s review of Nicholas Stargardt’s The German War in the Oct. 22 New York Review of Books:

Many of Hitler’s people nursed grievances over their loss of national territory under the Versailles Treaty and about the sufferings, real or imagined, of German minorities in Eastern Europe. As Stargardt notes laconically, “only German rights mattered.”

• Krauss on October 20, 2015, 9:07 am

That’s interesting lysias. But I don’t think it’s a unique condition of humanity to exclude others. We saw the same thing in America visavis Native Americans. They were invisibilised completely.

That’s why “reform from within” is dead, even from the so-called liberals. Yes, there will always be radicals but they are always a tiny minority.

• Kathleen on October 20, 2015, 9:57 am

I have often wondered about how important it is for those who systematically oppress (theft of land, murders,etc) others or knowingly or in a willfully ignorant way support the oppression come to some kind of personal transformation? Does that really matter? Personally think it is far more important that the crimes against that particular section of humanity stops?

Whether so called “liberal Zionist” support real justice because they want to save Israel based on the internationally recognized borders to maintain a Jewish identity. Or whether the Beinarts of the new awareness movement become truly compassionate individuals is really not the real issue.

Stopping the horrific injustices is the core issue.

Of course makes me think of the massive crimes committed against Native Americans, blacks (genocide, slavery) in this country. The horrific crimes (genocide) that U.S. soldiers committed in Vietnam against the people (have you ever watched the original testimonies of the Winter Soldiers in 1972) You can watch the documentary of those Winter Soldier hearings and the Winter Soldier hearings of U.S. Vets from Iraq and Afghanistan.. There were thousands of MyLai’s where American soldiers burned villages, raped very young women, cut off ears, tortured, humiliated, shot Vietnamese dead without question, misrepresented killings, slit Vietnamese men and women up the middle from their crotches to their skulls) stoned little children to death, endlessly humiliated Vietnamese using food as a type of weapon) all with the blessings of U.S. Colonels and hire ups. There were thousands of MyLai’s. Only one was brought into the public eye. Because most Americans do not want to know the details of their own countries brutality. The U.S. has yet to really be taken to account for the massacre of hundreds of thousands in Vietnam.

Does it matter if American soldiers (and the upper level Commanders) who participated in these atrocities ever come to a true humility? Are held accountable? Would have demonstrated a real commitment to the international justice system if there had been Nuremberg type Trials for the U.S. military hierarchy and U.S. administrations along with American soldiers who committed insane atrocities against the Vietnamese people. That would be unbelievable. One always hopes that those who commit such horrid crimes are held accountable. That accountability might be a message for those who decide to commit such atrocities in the future. However what was more important was that these atrocities be stopped. .

• eljay on October 20, 2015, 10:40 am

|| Kathleen: … One always hopes that those who commit such horrid crimes are held accountable. That accountability might be a message for those who decide to commit such atrocities in the future. However what was more important was that these atrocities be stopped. . To me the same goes for the human rights crimes being committed against Palestinians…. That they be stopped. ||

I agree that crimes in progress – theft, rape, murder, ISIS, Israel – must be stopped. But if justice and accountability are withheld, laws are neutered, the guilty go free and the message conveyed is that similar crimes can be repeated.

(One of the most immoral and disgusting things Barry “Yes, we can!” O. did – and he has done many immoral and disgusting things – was to publically absolve of their crimes the (war) criminals in the administration that preceded his.)

• Kathleen on October 20, 2015, 9:40 pm

Ejay totally agree that justice and accountability are resolutions that any honest brokers would want to witness.

On Barry and Pelosi “impeachment is off the table” allowing the Bush administration off the hook for their war crimes….terribly disappointing. Criminal really. Thought the international community might pull something out of their justice hats…nothing.

• echinococcus on October 20, 2015, 10:55 pm

“The Palestinians need their very own Simon Wiesenthal. To hunt down those who have committed horrific crimes against Palestinians and then push for accountability. Clearly Palestinians do not have the big dough, power, etc to push for the kind of accountability Wiesenthal went after.”

During WWII, in most European countries there were teams of big Nazi hunters. These populations were like the Palestinians, no money, no power, under a particularly brutal occupation. Even so, the hunter teams of the Resistance managed to have some modest success.

4. Boomer on October 19, 2015, 4:45 pm

I hope things work out as you hope regarding the transformation of Israel’s society, but I have no basis on which to comment further on your hypothesis. I would like to see a transformation of American society’s attitude on the topic. A fantasy along those lines was prompted by WaPo’s report that, pursuant to federal law, the U.S. is withholding 15% of budgeted aid to Mexico because the State Department has concluded that Mexico has not made sufficient progress on improving human rights. How wonderful would it be — what marvelous effects would materialize — if a similar step were taken with respect to Israel.

• Citizen on October 19, 2015, 7:28 pm

Have Mexican American leaders picked up on these double standards? Obama is actually set to double aid to Israel. (To thank him for his help in achieving diplomacy with Iran? LOL))

• Krauss on October 20, 2015, 9:07 am

They can’t do that, because they will be attacked as ‘anti-Semites’ but of course it’s a great display of total hypocrisy right there.

5. Mooser on October 19, 2015, 4:51 pm

“Alpher says yes; and it’s his life on the line.”

And he is a brave man. Now he will have to watch his back, too, as well as see what is in front of his eyes.

6. Keith on October 19, 2015, 5:02 pm

I am providing a link to a Norman Finkelstein interview where he discusses the current Palestinian rebellion and the stabbings, which, he says, are taking place in an environment of illegality created by Israel. He is extremely passionate yet completely logical. The video lasts about 21 minutes and is worth the viewing. http://normanfinkelstein.com/2015/10/19/finkelstein-third-intifada-goal-is-to-end-illegal-gaza-siege-p-2/

7. Xpat on October 19, 2015, 8:38 pm

“the settlers captured the government because they are the frontier warriors for the society; and that’s how history works”

One of the trends that made me give up on Israel was the passing of the torch from the kibbutznikim (members of a kibbutz) to the settlers in the Israeli army. The officer cadre of the combat battalions are Israel’s Ivy league. Even a junior officer in a crack unit can rise high in Israeli society e.g. its longstanding Prime Minister.
    It used to be the case that young, male kibbutznikim served as commanders in combat units at rates far exceeding their proportionate numbers in Israel. Noblesse oblige. With the demise of the kibbutz movement, the hyper-nationalist religious Zionists took their place. With so many junior officers sporting the Religious Zionist kippa (skullcap), it was only a matter of time before they became generals and other leaders in society.
    This has been a long time coming. The leaders of the Labor Zionist movement passed the torch almost 40 years ago when they launched the settler movement at Sebastiya.
    There is no ideology or force waiting in the wings. Haaretz columnists and even less so radical 972 journalists are not even harbingers of change.

• atime forpeace on October 19, 2015, 10:02 pm

Since you’re sharing what turned you off about Zionism let me express my Israel journey. What turned me off about Israel was when i discovered how they founded the nation through terrorism of the native Palestinian population while dispossessing them of their homes.

The cherry on top of my turnoff was their arrogant hasbarist ways and how the western nations bend to the will of the zionist organizations that create and enforce blind support of Israel among both politicos and the national press.

I thank Ilan Pappe Benny Morris Norman Finkelstein and the Neocons for clearing my mind about what i thought Israel and Zionism were.

• Mooser on October 20, 2015, 10:51 am

“One of the trends that made me give up on Israel was the passing of the torch from the kibbutznikim (members of a kibbutz) to the settlers in the Israeli army.”

Ouch! I wish you hadn’t put it quite like that, Krauss.
      Well, they obviously handed that torch over burning brightly, and ready to start homes and kids on fire.

• echinococcus on October 20, 2015, 11:13 pm

Which brings us back to the starting point, viz. that there is no relevant difference between the “liberal” and “Labor” murderers and the newer, ehm, Southerners who speak in tongues. Passage of the guard; kibbutznik to skullcap, and it happily goes on.

8. niass2 on October 19, 2015, 10:37 pm

The best book would be Treblinka, where one supposes someone piled in dead bodies could sympathize with this, ya know, the ones pulling the gold cavities from the disintegrating rotting bodies, these are good things to think about, piles of rotting dead bodies, of any kind, that no one cares about. Its true american Jews are never going to resolve this. I am one, I know it from listening, its a nonissue, and most Jews here are more worried about what they look like in temple than anything else, or at least my female relatives. Judaism is relatively gone and finished as far as it seems from here, the violence is all that is left and broken dreams about piles of rotting corpses. One can make a Seinfeld about Schindlers list, a real movie about Treblinka would be nice too. Of course Zionism is a turn off to any sane normal person. If you are jewish, frustrated, and need to get violent one should go to a skeet shooting event, not do Aliyah and pretend its honorable to visit a country your ancestors are not from. And they’d say they own Isreal, yet most of them are from Russia, a country they hate cause wolf blitzer and Obama told them to on teevee.

9. bryan on October 20, 2015, 5:57 am

Let’s widen this out from simply abusing Israel. Many governments have been captured from time to time, by backwoodsmen, overthrowing (or appearing to overthrow) the traditional elites (e.g. Reagan Republicans, the Tea Party, working-class Tories of the Thatcher revolution). Both the USA and Britain and most of Western Europe has moved steadily rightwards over the last 50 years or so, entrenching the power of the 1%, and even the parties of the social-democratic left (especially under Blair) have moved rapidly to the centre-ground or beyond. Yet the capture of government has not been permanent, or at least has not gone undisputed, as current phenomena, like the significant support for Corbyn and Sanders, readily demonstrate. Yet the triumph of the right, at all levels (army, courts, local and national administration, religious authorities, media etc) in Israel has been apparently uncontested, and a dwindling, impotent left have become cheer-leaders for the rightist establishment, complaining you are not “ultra” enough, and the few voices of dissent (e.g. Uri Avnery, Gideon Levy, Avraham Burg) are whistling in the dark, or have been forced to flee the country (e.g. Ilan Pappe, Tal Alon).

Why the difference, when, as we all know, Israel is culturally indistinguishable from the USA and its closest ally? Two explanations come to mind:

(1) the ideological underpinnings of Western rightists can all be rationally, logically and statistically demonstrated to be nonsensical – those of the Israeli right cannot. In the West these foundation stones are such memes as guns are good, queers are abominable, negroes are lazy, the rich are deserving of their wealth, the poor deserving of their squalour, wealth trickles down, government (apart from the armed forces and the penal system) is bad, regulation is an intolerable burden upon the productivity of Capitalism, people are not inherently equal and there is no such thing as man-made global warming. In Israel the major foundations of the right are (a) Jews are hated, always have been, always will be, and we are not going to risk another Holocaust, (b) the unique God of Israel watches over us, leads our armies and has generously dished out to us alone vast acres of real estate, and (c) we face existential threats from Iranian backed and Arab terrorism, and their leftist sympathisers, both at home and abroad.

(2) Terror, fear, suspicion of the other play a huge role in rightist politics, but again their are huge differences between the West and Israel. The Western right has always exploited reds under the bed, the yellow peril, the selfish and greedy trade-unionists, the intellectuals and liberals and progressives with an agenda to enslave the ordinary working man, the immigrant hordes, and the easterners who hate us for our freedom. As of course does the Israeli right. But look at just two of those themes – the terrorists and the immigrants. The USA, Britain and other European states waged war on the terrorists in Iraq, who were allegedly armed with WMD, aided and abetted the 9/11 assassins and seeking to conquer the world. The American and British publics learned as a result that their politicians were lying jerks and that such interventions do more harm than good, and serve only to impoverish the public exchequer whilst enriching the MIC and the leading warmongers (e.g. Rumsfeld and Cheney). Israel too has had its occasional wars but the only lessons the Israeli public has ever learned was that if only we had been better prepared, better equipped, put more men into the field, stayed longer, destroyed more infrastructure, killed more civilians then permanent victories would have been achieved, in Lebanon and Gaza and Syria and Jordan and Egypt. As to immigration, when you are unemployed because the corporations have off-shored your job to China or India or Mexico, the threat of immigrants stealing your job still has some strange appeal. America, Britain and Israel have all been built on immigration, but there are important differences. Constant waves of immigration into Britain and the US have made these countries more tolerant and pluralist, as they have integrated and enriched the economy, society and particularly the range of cuisine available. When politicians rail against the immigrant hordes inundating our shores, many ordinary people will repond that they work alongside and play sport alongside recent immigrants, and count them among their friends and neighbours. And the sociologists will point out that asylum seekers, refugees and immigrants are generally young, ambitious, well-educated and keen to integrate and succeed in society and may be positive assets. Israel too has had numerous waves of immigration, but perhaps these have reinforced trends in society rather than generally diversifying society. Perhaps thereare two reasons for this: the IDF and the Occupation regime have been the mechanism of assimilation, and immigrants from Tehran, Algeria, Moscow, Brooklyn and London have self-selected: liberal and progressive elements have preferred to emigrate to the US and Western Europe, whereas the more bigoted and racist elements have been drawn towards Israel.

10. Krauss on October 20, 2015, 9:10 am

Uri Avnery’s column was terrible Zionist claptrap. It tries to redeem the secular Laborites as usual. The reality is that the right-wing and the left-wing were never far apart. Their main disagreements was about sharing power and the form of which you go about what they want – never the actual goals themselves.

Ben-Gurion was an admirer of Jabotinsky and conceded he had absorbed many things from him. The settlers were simply continuing to do the work that the lazy secular Tel Aviv urbanites had gotten too comfortable to do.

• Mooser on October 20, 2015, 10:57 am

“The settlers were simply continuing to do the work that the lazy secular Tel Aviv urbanites had gotten too comfortable to do.”

And the fact that Israel can use settlers to do this job is ineradicable proof that Palestinians must be among the most peaceful people in the world.

11. DaveS on October 20, 2015, 10:20 am

Alpher’s essay is indeed inspiring but it is no doubt on the fringiest margins of Israeli society and offers not the slightest hope for a change in the country’s direction. Two points:

First, one aspect of Israel’s rightward drift, now a headlong rush, is demographics. The lunatics have many more children than more secular Jews, and the percentage of the population growing up to believe that God wants them to defend the land with their rifles is inexorably increasing. Second, Israel’s “why-do-these-terrorists-want-to-hurt-us” narrative, blind to the country’s history of savagery and hell-bent on savage revenge as a morally justified and necessary response, is not peculiar to Israel. We Americans had the same reaction to 9/11 and those who dare to question our role in the world are marginalized, as Alpher must be, as bleeding heart useful idiots.

Israelis will not depart from human nature and recognize and correct the errors of their ways. They must be forced to do so, hopefully like the similarly intransigent white South Africans were.

• Mooser on October 20, 2015, 11:01 am

“The lunatics have many more children than more secular Jews”

And again “many more children than more secular Jews” amounts to how many people? Not very many.

12. Bosnorth on October 20, 2015, 1:10 pm

The “liberal zionists” never had to come to terms with the nature of the Israeli State of Theft because they had the scaffolding and harness of the “peace” movement with its partition plan that would leave Israel not only intact but also absolved of its crimes.

This blinkered them to the changing regime within Israel, which they viewed as a passive phase (that would atrophy after the map had been re-wound back to May 1967) and not as an active virus inhabiting a congenial host and dedicated to finishing the job that host began in 1948.

The enchantment of this mythic distant prospect also enabled them to sidestep the immediate fight to hold Israel to account under international law, both in its general standards (e.g. on racism, apartheid, human rights, Geneva conventions etc) and its particular applications to Palestine such as UNGA194 on Palestinian Right of Return, or the original 1947 human rights conditions placed on the very establishment of the State of Israel.

Once you cut loose from all that, what remains is platitudes and generalities, such that today which of them even senses the massive tragedy of Palestinians fleeing northward from Syria to Europe, when they should be coming southwards to their homeland, the land between the river and the sea now entirely occupied and controlled by Israel.