Trump at the rightwing Jewish conference

US Politics

This great photo of the Republican frontrunner was taken by Mark Peterson, my longtime friend and colleague, at the Republican Jewish Coalition meeting on Thursday. You can see it on Instagram, where Peterson cites the critique of Trump’s speech as anti-semitic. Here’s a pro-Israel yarmulke at the RJC, from Peterson.

On Hardball, Chris Matthews pointed out that Trump smeared President Obama as a secret Muslim sympathetic to the terrorists in that speech; but Matthews also said that Trump is responding to “antiwar” sentiment among rightwing voters: the desire that we “stop fighting stupid wars.”

Some other voices echo my comments that Trump exposed Israel lobby pandering. Roland Nikles writes that Trump is refusing to play ball and he’s right to do so.

At the Republican Jewish Coalition forum for presidential candidates on Thursday (12/3/15) Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, and Ted Cruz dutifully promised that they would shred the Iran deal on their first day in office, and move the U.S. embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem–as Netanyahu wants.

Zaid Jilani at the Intercept also cites Trump’s independence from the Israel lobby at the event:

Trump was asked about earlier comments he had made to an Associated Press reporter that he believes peace hinges on “whether or not Israel wants to make the deal — whether or not Israel’s willing to sacrifice certain things.”

Trump was quickly assailed after that comment by rival candidate Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., who argued that land rights and a peace deal were not the issue and that Trump shouldn’t “question Israel’s commitment to peace.”

Trump continued to take a considerably more even-handed approach to the issue than his rivals at the event on Thursday. “I said that you have to have a commitment to make [peace]. I don’t know that Israel has the commitment to make it. I don’t know that the other side has the commitment to make it,” he said.

“I’d like to go in with a clean slate, and just say, ‘Let’s go, everybody’s even, we love everybody and let’s see if we can do something.’”

philweiss

1. yourstruly
    yourstruly
    December 5, 2015, 5:17 pm

Three decades ago I received a death threat after speaking out publicly against the Israeli occupation of Palestine. More recently on the same subject The Guardian newspaper has placed my comments on pre-moderation. Ah yes, intimidation and censorship. Proof, that is. that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

DaBakr
      December 5, 2015, 10:18 pm

@yt

the only thing that the Guardian [supposedly] having “pre-moderation” [ i.e.: censorship] for outspoken pro-Palestinian commenters proves is that you yourself are so out of touch with what the Guardian has become in the past decade that it doesn’t seem like you have the ability to grasp exactly what the word “intimidation” means. Unless you are one of those few special souls who think “intimidation” means in actuality, encouragement. bravo yt.

traintosiberia
        December 6, 2015, 4:07 pm

Guardian used to delete all anti Zionist posts before and used to ban anybody questioning the 911 narratives of the neocon . Now it does allow more often than not .

JWalters
      December 6, 2015, 5:08 pm

Thanks for not giving up.

2. scott9854958
    scott9854958
    December 5, 2015, 5:44 pm

I love Trump and love his political instincts. I’m really not sure what that photo is supposed to tell us, although I’m sure Gawker will use it as proof positive that he’s Herman Goering.

JLewisDickerson
      December 5, 2015, 7:57 pm

Several years ago when I first saw the RJC logo incorporating the bald eagle (behind Trump), I thought it looked incredibly fascistic.
      Now when I see virtually any graphic incorporating the bald eagle (including U.S. Government logos/graphics), I perceive it as being fascistic.

JLewisDickerson
        December 5, 2015, 8:18 pm

P.S. Does everyone have their Festivus pole up?

SING IT BING:
        It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas Festivus
        Everywhere you go . . .

P.P.S. Yes, even we Pastafarians celebrate Festivus!

just
        December 6, 2015, 9:58 am

“Far-right Israeli group declares war on Christmas

A dozen protesters from the far-right anti-assimilation group Lehava on Sunday demonstrated outside a Christmas event at Jerusalem’s YMCA, decrying what they termed the “murder” of Jewish souls.

Shouting, “You murdered us in exile,” and condemning European blood libels and historical persecution of the Jews, the small group waved Israeli flags and sang Hanukkah songs outside the venue, with some signs urging all the “impure” Christians to leave the Holy Land.

Bentzi Gopstein, the head of the organization, told The Times of Israel that it was the first time his group was protesting the annual Christmas bazaar.

“This year, they invited all the Jews of Israel, publicized ads in Hebrew throughout Jerusalem and invited Jewish children to get Christmas presents,” he said of the YMCA. …

“We think that, just as the Arabs are not successful in beating us with stabbings, so too, Christians won’t be successful in swaying Jewish children with gifts. We don’t need their presents. The Christians should stay Christian; the Jews should stay Jewish. We don’t want to learn their religion,” he added.

“We don’t want to teach them about Hanukkah, and don’t want them to teach us about Christmas,” he went on, as fellow protester Baruch Marzel — who ran unsuccessfully for Knesset in the elections earlier this year — sang the traditional “Maoz Tzur” Hanukkah song in the background.

Eli Rakov, a Lehava protester, cried out: “You murdered our bodies, now you want to murder our souls.”

Lehava was established as an organization aiming to prevent marriage between Jews and Arabs, which is prohibited according to religious Jewish law. The group has become identified with the extreme Jewish right and its members have been seen patrolling downtown Jerusalem on some evenings, looking, they claim, for mixed couples.

Their vigilante patrols have often degenerated into scuffles, and there were several instances over the past year where members of the organization have beaten Arabs. Most of the organization’s members are teens.

Some Israeli politicians have been calling on the government to outlaw the group, whose members have been implicated in several hate crimes.”

Note that they’ve been “implicated”, not prosecuted…

ho, ho, ho.

talknic
        December 6, 2015, 10:13 am

“Lehava was established as an organization aiming to prevent marriage between Jews and Arabs, which is prohibited according to religious Jewish law”

Mmmmm. So some 500,000 Arab Jewish refugees from the Arab States either weren’t legally married or were born out of wedlock.

Interesting!

I wonder if they knew?

diasp0ra
        December 6, 2015, 10:46 am

@Just

But..but..but I thought it was the evil Palestinian moozlumz that hated Christians!

Funny how that works, Christmas celebrations are carried out in every Palestinian city/town that has a Christian population and you never find demonstrations against it. It’s almost as if this is a colonial struggle, and not a religious one as so many ignorant reductionists claim.

Mooser
        December 6, 2015, 11:34 am

“Far-right Israeli group declares war on Christmas”

“Just” I was hoping this subject would not come up, but now that it has, we might as well have it out in the open. This is what’s going on:

A (sob) half-century ago, when I was a lad (and had hair, and teeth, too!) there was one sure thing about being Jewish; every year I, and every other Jewish person, could scoff at Christmas lights. Those cheap strings of paint-dipped incandescent bulbs, plywood-cutout Santas, and a creche featuring a self-wetting baby doll in the starring role! It took a pro stage designer, or an inspired folk-artist, to make anything good out of Christmas lights. It was easy to feel superior.
        Now look what’s happened: LED low-volt lights, with wireless digital control! Fantastic plastic molding and coloring and tinting, all kinds of imaginative shapes, motion and color. Anybody can make a stunning Christmas display right out of the box! ( Look at that place down the street from me, cruddy house, grubby kids, noisy dog, but their Christmas lights went up, and they’re great! A lattice-work of scintillating illuminated icicles! Trimming the entire house and windows. Looks wonderful! Oh my G-d, listen to me!)

Why did that happen? Why was such an effort made (an international effort, since most of the stuff is made off-shore) to distract Jews from their own religion and culture? You tell me!

Mooser
        December 6, 2015, 1:01 pm

“Christians won’t be successful in swaying Jewish children with gifts. We don’t need their presents. The Christians should stay Christian; the Jews should stay Jewish.”

Whoa! Dude, don’t antagonize them. Anytime they want, they can go nuclear! Go to the full “Twelve Days of Christmas” and beat us by four days!
        We’d be up to our Yiddische cloaca’s in Lords a’leaping and Ladies Dancing, partridges and pear trees everywhere.
        You up for buying five golden rings, four calling birds, three French hens every year? And where the hell do you buy turtle-doves these days? Turtle-doves were so slow not even passenger pigeons would fly with them! They’re extinct. And so will we be, if we f–k with Christmas too much.
        Not me. I’ll stick with the present arrangement, thank you.

just
        December 6, 2015, 5:54 pm

Here’s an epic whine offered up by The Guardian:

“I don’t need a ‘happy holidays’. Just wish me a happy Hanukah, please

I live in a city with a huge Jewish population, but the most mainstream Jewish holiday is still an afterthought to most people

Growing up the only Jewish kid in a largely Christian community, I used to dream of growing up and moving to New York City, where my religion and its holidays would be mainstream and accepted – or at least familiar enough that I would never have to explain the meaning of Passover yet again or be accused of “wanting special treatment” when I took Yom Kippur off of work. (Honestly, I’d rather make spreadsheets than fast, but hey, whatever.)

But even though Hanukah is the most mainstream Jewish holiday in America and I do live in New York, I still find myself feeling like even the smallest gesture that not everyone celebrates Christmas is half-hearted at best and grudging at worst.

Take my local drugstore – located in a busy corner of Lower Manhattan – as an example. It has seven entire aisles dedicated to Christmas items, from red and green candies to tree lights to Santa bobbleheads. You can find Hanukah wrapping paper – only one kind – at an endcap on the back of one aisle, but you’re out of luck if the bright blue Star of David-printed paper isn’t your taste. Altogether, there are about ten total Hanukah items on offer – including some gelt that smelled like it had been stuffed in a cardboard box since last year – in one of the biggest retailers in one of New York City’s oldest Jewish neighborhoods.

So often, people who preach inclusivity miss the point. Yes, Jewish people and their families would like to have decorations for Hanukah and other holidays, and some of us are grateful when mainstream stores acknowledge us at all. But seven aisles of Christmas gear and less than one-third of an aisle of Hanukah stuff barely counts as inclusion. It’s separate, and it’s nowhere close to being equal. …

… Going through the motions of inclusion aren’t enough. Simply tolerating other cultures, religions and festivals isn’t sufficient: until we have the same amount of respect, all your pointless gestures of inclusivity ring hollow. Every time a mainstream radio station switches to 24/7 Christmas music for the entire month of December but plays Adam Sandler’s The Chanukah Song once every couple of hours, or when an office holds a “tacky Christmas sweater” competition, or when a TV show about holiday baking features contestants from non-Christian backgrounds baking cookies shaped like reindeer, I don’t feel included; I’m simply reminded that my inclusion is, and always has been, an afterthought.

I’d almost rather retailers and businesses ignored me – and my fellow Jews –altogether the month of December rather than offering up a third-rate, half-hearted attempt to make me feel included. It didn’t work in high school, and it doesn’t work now.”

Suffer through the rest of her suffering if you must @ http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/06/happy-holidays-happy-hanukah#comment-64647981

annie
        December 6, 2015, 6:16 pm

guilt, the gift that keeps on giving.

RoHa
        December 6, 2015, 5:57 pm

Many years ago, when I was young (yes, there was such a time) The Times used to have a regular Christmas feature in which they calculated the cost of the twelve days. I can’t remember whether they consulted a musician’s union or a Highland regiment for the cost of nine pipers playing and ten drummers drumming, but I know they asked the Royal Ballet for the price for eleven ladies dancing, and used the House of Lords attendance allowance as the basis for the twelve lords a-leaping.

Christmas wrapping paper and postage not included.

Mooser
        December 6, 2015, 6:09 pm

When did Hanukkah (Of course, in Hawaii, it’s called Hannukkahuna) become a competition with Christmas?
        It’s not like Hanukkah is the High Anxiety Days, or something.

Mooser
        December 6, 2015, 6:37 pm

“Christmas wrapping paper and postage not included.”

I got an invitation today in the mail, for a wine-making supply store opening in Seattle. They’re promising “a vintner wonderland”. How can Hanukkah compete with that?

RoHa
        December 6, 2015, 7:59 pm

Poor Yonah must find this time of year terrifying.

Palestinian red and green decorations everywhere, coloured lights, menacing Christmas songs being played in the shopping centres, people openly wearing red caps with white bobbles, and wild Christmas trees roaming the streets.

But worst of all musts be Christmas Eve, when The Enforcer drives his sleigh across the skies to deal with the names on his comprehensive list.

Perhaps Yonah hides under the bed, clutching his dreidel, and listening for those tell-tale sounds in the chimney.

Philemon
        December 6, 2015, 8:19 pm

“…rather than offering up a third-rate, half-hearted attempt to make me feel included. It didn’t work in high school, and it doesn’t work now.”

High school? Where did that come from?

Per yonah: “I know how tough it is being a Christmas deprived kid…” So, I get that his parents didn’t give him presents when he was a kid and the other kids in were getting them, and he resents it. Got it. Check.

But I’m still trying to envision the “third-rate, half-hearted attempt to make me feel included” in high school that makes this woman down on any Hannukah mention as “grudging.” Sure, she resents something, but what happened to her in high school?

And she resents reindeer cookies? As though they’re specifically non-Jewish. And the wrapping paper? Something else is bothering her.

RoHa
        December 6, 2015, 8:47 pm

And my calendar tells me to day is Hanukkah.

Happy Hanukkah to all whom it may concern.

RoHa
        December 6, 2015, 10:38 pm

I see that my greeting was dated “December 6”. Of course, here in Australia it is already 7 December. I comment from the future.

So Happy Hanukkah when you get to it.

Mooser
        December 7, 2015, 12:46 pm

and listening for those tell-tale sounds

“Fmaj7* Em Dm7 Cmaj
        Joy, to the World!

Bm7-5 E7 Am7 (Ab7) Gm7 C7 (or F#7)
        The Lord has Come.

Fmaj G7 Csus4 C
        Let earth receive her King!

Fmaj7 Em7 Am7 Fmaj Em7 Am7
        Let every heart, pre-pare Him room…”

(*voice FMaj7 as F bass E,A,C, walk down with melody )

Try that over on your own pianola.

wondering jew
        January 16, 2016, 7:20 pm

bookmark Roha

tokyobk
      December 5, 2015, 8:56 pm

You love a man who wants a Muslim data base and to “take out” the families of alleged terrorists, build a wall at the border, inspired in both he says by Israel. I haven’t read through your comments but I am assuming you are a staunch Zionist, right?

scott9854958
        December 6, 2015, 12:06 am

Nope. But being opposed to US support for Israel doesn’t mean I don’t want to be protected from savages. What would you do with the families of terrorists, give them a financial settlement for their pain and suffering? The disgusting Tsarnaev clan should have been summarily ejected from this country, without a hearing.

Mooser
        December 6, 2015, 2:23 pm

“doesn’t mean I don’t want to be protected from savages.”

“Scott” put a plate of steel on your bed and get under it.

diasp0ra
        December 6, 2015, 2:41 pm

@Scott

“The disgusting Tsarnaev clan should have been summarily ejected from this country, without a hearing.”

And you support Palestinians? Are you sure?

scott9854958
        December 6, 2015, 6:16 pm

“So you oppose US support for Israel but want to carry out a very Israeli move as “justice”? Collective punishment? Savages?”

If removing the Tsarnaev family would fit your definition of “collective punishment” then I’m all for it. What Israel does, no . I wouldn’t fire a missile into an apartment building. Glad we could clear that up.

Donald
        December 6, 2015, 11:13 pm

Trump, who you love,wants to kill the families of terrorists, so you are confused.

scott9854958
        December 7, 2015, 9:15 am

“Trump, who you love,wants to kill the families of terrorists, so you are confused”

I’m actually not confused. Like I said, I would not collectively punish people living in the same building/neighborhood as terrorists, like Israel does. That’s indefensible. If family members had prior knowledge of their “loved ones” going into jihad and did nothing to stop them…well I would say all bets are off for them. I’m pretty certain that’s what Trump meant.

oldgeezer
        December 7, 2015, 12:10 pm

@scott

Bets on or off you are still wrong. If famiky members have knowledge or involvement then they should be prosecuted as accessories to the crime.

Not that forced removal or house demos don’t have a role. Perhaps we could start by using them against those who would trash our legal systems. People such as yourself maybe?

scott9854958
        December 7, 2015, 4:46 pm

“Not that forced removal or house demos don’t have a role. Perhaps we could start by using them against those who would trash our legal systems. People such as yourself maybe”

France realizes it’s under attack from a foreign power and just basically “trashed” its legal system by suspending search and seizure laws. Are they wrong? Deluded? Fascist? But thanks for your well wishes , I hope the best for you and your family too.

Mooser
      December 5, 2015, 9:12 pm

“I’m really not sure what that photo is supposed to tell us,”

I sure don’t like what it says about his tailor. Or his perruquier, for that matter.

Trump. He’s an empty hairpiece. In a bad suit.

Keith
        December 6, 2015, 12:35 am

MOOSER- “Trump. He’s an empty hairpiece. In a bad suit.”

Truer words were never spoken and, I suspect, you have articulated the unifying principal which ties all psycho-social phenomenon into one integrated whole! Congratulations, you randy rutt-whaler!

bryan
        December 6, 2015, 2:21 pm

But surely you have to admit he has found one way of differentiating himself from his idiot kin in the Republican contest – they are all as stupid, regressive and ill-informed as he is, but he does not court electoral bribes because he is too wealthy to need them. Perhaps Adelson should take a leaf out of his book and declare his own candidacy, because he appears to have a similar bad haircut, a similar set of fascist ideas, and a similar contempt for ordinary citizens.

annie
        December 6, 2015, 2:31 pm

that’s not the only way he is differentiating himself bryan. he throws red meat to the crazies.

Marnie
      December 6, 2015, 12:10 am

“proof positive that he’s Herman Goering”

Well, he’s getting to be about that size……

Donald
      December 6, 2015, 11:50 am

Trump is a classic demagogue– he says a few true things along with a lot of disgusting vile things and attracts followers for all sorts of reasons. If we go full- blown fascist, Trump is the kind of guy who could pave the way.

Just saw tokyobk’s comment. What he said.

annie
      December 5, 2015, 6:34 pm

freaky – 1:30 in the video. you can see the soldier drop the knife and the girl is clearly scared to pick it up.

diasp0ra
      December 6, 2015, 10:47 am

I hope this video gets spread far and wide.

3. JLewisDickerson
    JLewisDickerson
    December 5, 2015, 7:26 pm

RE: “Here’s a pro-Israel yarmulke at the RJC, from Peterson.” ~ Weiss

MY COMMENT: I would be so embarrassed to wear that pro-Israel yarmulke. How about a little old world, handcrafted quality? That thing looks cheap, machine made and butt ugly!
    What a poor excuse for a billionaire.

Seriously though, I suppose we should be thankful for Adelson and the RJC helping to publicize the cash & carry nature of our corrupt political system. The DeVos family* and their ilk are a bit too discreet to attract the kind of attention needed to bring about demands for reform.

* Meet the New Kochs: The DeVos Clan’s Plan to Defund the Left – http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/01/devos-michigan-labor-politics-gop

4. DaBakr
    DaBakr
    December 5, 2015, 10:30 pm

the idea of MW lovers somehow supporting the Donald because he doesn’t kow-tow to any ‘ol lobby is pretty humourous . If he were to be elected president of the US it would be at the very least an amusing first 4 years. Can’t wait until he meets the big-Oil, big-Pharma, NRA , AAJ, and Insurance lobbies. Hoo-wee.

*at least its certain he is in very tight with the gulf states interests-seeing as how much they need golf courses and hotels.

Marnie
      December 6, 2015, 12:16 am

Jewess? That’s pretty middle ages of you DBR.

talknic
      December 6, 2015, 8:35 am

“** and uh-oh. was it not reported somewhere that his evidently [and ironically-to both Donald and Ivana’s credit] well-adjusted and well connected daughter has converted by orthodox law and is therefore a Jewess ? omg! Very suspicious.”

Is it not a fact? Same as Hilary’s daughter.

Mary T
        December 6, 2015, 10:28 am

I don’t believe Chelsea converted to Judaism, because she was married in an inter-faith ceremony. Her husband is Jewish, however.

Citizen
        December 7, 2015, 9:25 am

Chelsea is on record (around the time of the birth of her daughter) as saying she was a practicing Methodist and Hubby was a practicing Jew. She was, maybe still is, a leader in an interfaith group.

5. talknic
    talknic
    December 6, 2015, 12:19 am

DaBakr

” the idea of MW lovers somehow supporting the Donald because he doesn’t kow-tow to any ‘ol lobby is pretty humourous “

Indeed.

Say …….. it’s your idea! Folk here are just talking about the implications, I see very little evidence of anything that can be construed as ‘supporting’

6. zaid
    zaid
    December 6, 2015, 1:11 am
      Krauss
      December 6, 2015, 1:46 am

Very interesting. By the time the next president takes office, the so-called “bipartisan” consensus will be officially annihilated. It might still live on in an ossified state in Congress, but then it will only be held together by the cold logic of money.

The democratic base is moving away from Israel with near-incredible speed.

Kay24
      December 6, 2015, 9:53 am

It is interesting, and I think the numbers could be higher, since there is a possibility of these polling companies owned/run just like the zio run media (at least some of them).

I often wonder where they call to take the polls…..can it be certain districts in Florida?

7. Krauss
    Krauss
    December 6, 2015, 1:44 am

So Trump is literally Hitler because he’s more evenhanded than any other candidate on the issue? Right.

8. Boomer
    Boomer
    December 6, 2015, 6:31 am

Zaid, thanks for the link. So 37% of Americans (and half of Democrats) favor sanctions against Israel as a response to the settlement building. That is encouraging. Given the uniformity with which politicians toe AIPAC’s line, and the bias for Israel shown by our mainstream media (while nearly ignoring the Palestinians, except as “terrorists”), I’m a bit surprised, as well as pleased. It confirms my belief that a courageous President Obama could have done more to reduce America’s complicity in Israel’s oppression of the Palestinians. But that would require leading from the front, not the rear.

9. Kay24
    Kay24
    December 6, 2015, 7:40 am

So here is stadium full of bigots, applauding a rabble rouser who spews hatred for all Muslims and obviously wants more guns on the streets. I guess he considered the criminal who shot innocent people at a Planned Parenthood office, a hero. We live in a nation full of warped minded idiots.

10. CigarGod
    CigarGod
    December 6, 2015, 11:22 am

Fantastic photo.
    Don’t see a photo credit.

11. Citizen
    Citizen
    December 7, 2015, 9:31 am

News, Reviews & Views: Donald #Trump Lines up Opposite the Israel Lobby (#AIPAC et al)! http://rolandnikles.blogspot.com/2015/12/donald-trump-lines-up-opposite-israel.html?spref=tw

12. James Canning
    James Canning
    December 7, 2015, 1:02 pm

Donald Trump appears to comprehend that Netanyahu and his followers do not want an independent Palestine and much prefer endless Israeli occupation of the West Bank.