The following is a special report, “Crimes committed against Palestinians by the Israeli occupation forces,” in 2017 in the Hebron District of the occupied West Bank.
⦁ The area covers 375,000 acres (1.5 million dunams).
⦁ The Palestinian population includes 706,000+ people.
⦁ 121 types of military occupation attacks are described.
Who claims to be jewel of democracy in the world and leader of human rights? And who says that Israel is the oppressed?
Do you have the courage to condemn these crimes or at least to criticize them? If only one word? Shall God judge such a nation?
“Our Lives Begin to End the Day We Become Silent”
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. March 8, 1965
A. Martyrs: The number of martyrs during this year: 5
B. Confiscation of lands, dredging and the following:
1. The confiscation and razing of 800 dunums of land, including under declared military orders, and areas razed by the settlers. This operation was concentrated in the areas of Hebron, Yatta, al-Dhahiriya, Beit Aula, al-Urub, Ramadin, Idnna, Kharsa.
2. Uprooting of trees: 900 trees–concentrated in Yatta – Dhahiriya – Halhul – Arroub Kharas–were uprooted by the occupation forces and the settlers.
3. Prevention of tillage and labor: 10 cases.
4. Destruction of walls: about 800 meters of the retaining walls.
5. Destruction of agricultural crops: 200 dunams (49 acres) were razed and damaged in different parts of the province.
6. Much building on the land of Palestinian citizens of the province: adding 600 new houses and caravans in the Settlements and in the outposts in Hebron district. They also built a big factory in Tana Amarim Settlement south of the Palestinian town of Adahriya and built a huge building in Metareem Settlement southeast of Adahriya.
7. Land surveys for future thefts for building to expand the settlements: 6 cases.
8. Expansion of roads: 2 cases in the areas of Bani Naim and Samou.
9. Construction of a section of the apartheid wall 43 KM west of the Hebron District.
C. Demolition, house bombing, and other attacks:
1. Demolition of brick or tin houses, agricultural rooms, tents, and quarries: 27 cases in the areas of Hebron – Yatta – Idnna – Beit Ummar.
2. Demolition and detonation of water wells: 10 cases in the areas of Yatta – Seir – Idnna.
3. Demolition and construction notices: 122 notices, most of which are located in Yatta, Beit Ula, Beit Ummar, Hebron, and Sa’ir.
4. Eviction orders: 3 cases in the town of Surif that require the evacuation of 11 dunums of the land of the citizens in the town.
5. Destruction and bombing of houses and shops: about 60 cases.
6. The seizure of houses converted into military barracks: more than 90 houses were converted into barracks and military observation points either for days or for hours.
7. Closing shops at gunpoint: 47 cases.
8. Storming shops and tampering with their contents: about 20 cases.
9. Confiscation of agricultural machinery and plowing equipment: 12 cases.
D. Military operations:
1. Home raids: More than 1,586 raids were carried out against houses of citizens throughout the governorate.
2. Storming houses, establishments, stations, power stations, government offices, radio stations, media production centers, companies, hospitals, libraries, stone saws, presses, colleges and cemeteries: 89 cases.
3. Blocking neighborhoods of houses: 20 cases.
4. House searches: 1500 cases.
5. Car searches: more than 530 cases.
6. Mixing of food supplies: soldiers raid homes and mix oil, rice, sugar, and wheat together so the family has nothing to eat: 10 cases.
7. Destruction of the contents of houses: about 250 cases.
8. Robberies of houses: 4 cases involving gold, silver, and money.
9. Confiscation of computers and mobile devices: 10 cases.
10. Confiscation of cameras and DVDs: about 5 cases during the military operations carried out by the occupation in the province.
11. Storming the villages and towns and camps in the province: 1252 incursions.
12. Shooting at citizens: 180 cases.
13. Shooting at houses: 2 cases.
14. Shooting at funerals: 2 cases.
15. Shooting at civilian vehicles and civil defense: 12 cases.
16. Launch of gas bombs: 220 cases.
17. Launch of sound bombs: 159 cases.
18. Light bombs: 3 cases.
19. Detaining and detaining citizens: 570 cases.
20. Detention of citizens in one room: 30 cases.
21. Removing citizens from their homes: 70 cases.
22. Attacks on citizens: 54 cases.
23. Assaults on citizens: 200 cases. The Israeli Army attacked people, beating their heads and backs with hands and rifle butts.
24. Detaining and searching citizens: 33 cases. The Israeli Occupation Army stopped Palestinian people and detained them, ordering them to stand on one leg and hold their hands up while facing the wall. Then the army searched them.
25. The pursuit of citizens by the occupation forces: 40 cases.
26. Attacks on government crews: 5 cases.
27. Chasing workers: 150 cases.
28. Forcing citizens to take off their clothes: 8 cases in both house raids and checkpoints.
29. Driving over citizens with military vehicles: 4 cases.
30. Attempts to drive over citizens with military vehicles: 4 cases.
31. Preventing citizens from traveling: 20 cases.
32. Assault on worshipers: almost daily.
33. Attacks on students of schools, universities, and teachers: 80 cases.
34. Assaults on children: 39 cases.
35. Attacks on farmers: 70 cases.
36 – Attacks on journalists: 20 cases.
37. Attacks on foreigners: 6 cases.
38. Attacks on marches: 39 cases.
39. Detainees: Approximately 1100 detainees, including those who were released after hours of arrest, including those who remained in detention.
40. The use of citizens as human shields: 4 cases.
41. Kidnapping of citizens: 3 cases.
42. Provocations: 20 cases (Soldiers slapping a person so the person will slap them back).
43. Taunting: 15 cases: soldiers partying with loud noises, music, and lewd dancing. The Occupation soldiers laugh with each other and joke among themselves about the citizens.
44. Joint attacks with settlers: 8 cases.
45. Interception of ambulances, firefighters, and assaults on their crews: 20 cases.
46. Smashing of glass and windows of houses: 8 cases.
47 – Smuggling and blacksmithing workshops: 16 cases.
48. Closure of roads and entrances to the villages and towns of the province: 130 cases, either by iron gates or berms and concrete blocks.
49. Attacking houses and institutional buildings: 20 cases. When the Israeli Occupation Army suddenly attacks the houses and buildings, they often enter by breaking down and smashing the doors. The destroyed doors are expensive to replace, and the houses and other buildings are left exposed.
50. The establishment of 300 new checkpoint barriers: the Israeli Occupation Army erected permanent and many flying checkpoints set up–unpredictably–for hours or a day at a time.
Prepared by Expert on Land and Settlement Abdulhadi Hantash