A number is worth 1000 words

photo 1Photo by Adam Horowitz, in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Posted in Israel/Palestine

{ 25 comments... read them below or add one }

1. dbroncos says:

Yo Adam

102 in Philly at 6:20p!

2. 72 F in Wasilla, Alaska. Hot enough for me. Too hot for my dog.

• MRW says:

Heard about an interesting experiment on NPR. They put a human, a bird (parrot?), and a dog in a sauna to see who would last the longest. The bird bailed first, then the human. The dog lasted 1/2 hour longer.

The scientists surmised that the dog’s breathing mechanism–panting–was ultra-efficient.

3. Bumblebye says:

Aw, poor guys, sizzling in the summer heat! You need some anglo-centric current affairs comedy to cool you down! Try “The Now Show” from bbcR4

link to bbc.co.uk

Listen to Rupert and James portrayed as “Steptoe & Son” (brilliantly).
    Laugh at the Beach Boys rewritten for a soggy British summer!
    Have fun, keep cool!

4. VR says:

That is terrible guys, drink plenty of fluids and don’t expose yourself to the sun too long. I wonder when this heat wave is going to break

5. MRW says:

69 degrees in Seattle. 50 at night. Way too low for this time of year. Ditto Salt Lake City, Northern California, Las Vegas, even Phoenix.

There are 35 different climate ecosystems in the US. Looks like the East is getting the West’s weather.

• annie says:

i’m in northern california and it’s been hot all afternoon.

• MRW says:

Well, you’re in one of the 35. It was snowing somewhere around you. Can’t remember where. My friends are going there this weekend to ski and get a tan on the hill. And there is no better tan than a snow tan. You get brown. (Sorry to upset the Israelis; we like brown.)

• annie says:

we’re a big state and the whole east side is the sierras so that doesn’t surprise me. heck, i can drive towards SF and be in completely different weather in 20 minutes. we like brown here too. ;)

6. MRW says:

Tell me you have air-conditioning, Adam.

I remember one day in Manhattan when it was 100 degrees and they said the humidity was 104%. Never forgot it. How could it be 104%?

I never called August ‘Dog Days’. I called ‘em Sniper Days. That’s what I felt like.

7. 80-something in Kauai, HI and about the same in the holy, blue ocean in front of me. Home.

Have a good weekend!

8. Kate says:

94.5 degrees F for the high today, very humid. And we don’t have A/C. Last night was impossible for sleeping and I guess tonight will be too. Even turned off my computer after I did the Palestine list because I thought it was too hot for it, two fans or no! Currently still 88, at 11 pm. I might even have broken down and bought a window A/C, except that there aren’t any left.

9. MRW says:

Kate,

This is when you really appreciate Arabic architecture. They built houses that took this heat out of the house. They understood the wind and designed for it. The same wind that gives you Arctic sea ice or not (depending on what it does in summer). The same wind that controls the thermohaline current (Bob the Science Guy is wrong: it’s not freshwater. That guy is so stupid he doesn’t know what rainfall or snow is made of. It sure ain’t salt water.)

10. ToivoS says:

Totally off topic. Let us note that the Norwegian terrorist that just killed over 20 (was it 80?) people is a Christian Zionist. He has an extensive blog. What I want to know is he a recipient of Hasbara, Israel funds.

The people of the world want to know.

• annie says:

what i want to know is who pulled off the other (coordinated) attack.

• MRW says:

Charles Johnson of Little Green Footballs tweeted that this guy is a big fan of Pamela Geller. A translated Norwegian blog at the link below says “Anders Behring Breivik has previously driven the blog Fjordman and later for many years been a writer for the anti-Muslim and Zionist bloggers Gates of Vienna and Jihad Watch, under the pseudonym Fjordman.”
      link to littlegreenfootballs.com

• MRW says:

Read one of Fjordman’s articles on Jihadwatch. It begins:

“I should thank the pro-Israeli, Islam-critical blog Document for bringing this to my attention. The two Norwegian essays cited here were written by Ole Jørgen Benedictow, a professor emeritus at the University of Oslo specializing in the history of the Middle Ages. The translations were made by me, and the shorter excerpts should capture the spirit of the texts. [...]“

• ToivoS says:

We know that Israel has been cultivating Christian Zionist for some time. What we need to know is the support that Israel has given Anders Behring Breivik. He has been active for a number of years now. Surely, Israeli propaganda institutions have been aware of his activities. They have been so desperate for allies they must have made contact with him.

11. Bumblebye says:

Ah, sh*t. Amy Winehouse found dead. Poor talented tormented foolish girl.