‘Arab Sources’ on Mondoweiss

Arab Sources is a place where I translate into English various Arabic sources and opinion. Arab Sources is also a place where I publish my own analysis. My broad aim is for the Arab Sources series to be an invitation to the full Zellij of Arab cultures.

Arab Sources until recently was published in the Democratic party’s community blog DailyKos. It was shut down by DailyKos a week ago in a broad purge that seems to have targeted  a number of African American series and Arab Sources.  I think that Mondoweiss is perhaps a more suitable outlet for Arab Sources and my work.

I hope in this introductory essay to introduce myself,  an artisan working on one corner of Palestinian culture, a corner that I have dubbed Arab Sources. I’m a Palestinian professor and an Israeli citizen, Simone Daud is my late grandfather’s name.

My first breath was of the seashores of my beloved Haifa, which is a coastal town on mount Carmel. My second was the winds of the Galilee. I ate the fruits of my ancestral Olive groves in a Galilee village north east of Nazareth. I grew up with the pronounced Galilean dialect surrounding me. I was never a revolutionary, nor a fida’i. I did not live an intifada. I was never a refugee. I am a Galilean who remained in the Galilee. I share my culture with the gentle people of the Syrian region of the Huran. A culture that extends well into the eastern Galilee. My grandfather wore a white Arab headdress and my grandmother, always in black, had Hurani blue bridal tattoos on her cheek, chin, and hands.

I have quenched my thirst in the springs of Nazareth, bathed in the baths of Acre, and have soared above the skies of our Jaffa. I have walked on the Lake Tiberias. I am a Palestinian not dispossessed. I am free. I am a privileged Palestinian.

Yet I remain a Palestinian tortured by narratives.

It is not clear to me when Isaac Deutscher, the Yiddish poet, biographer of Stalin, and humanist ceased to be an intellectual. This must have happened at least a decade before he passed away.  The provenance of Avraham Berg’s lamentation of the loss of the humanist traditions in his German Jewish community is also not clear to me. But I was an observer of the transformation described in Edward Said’s The Last Jewish Intellectual

I grew up and came of age in a small tobacco smoke filled apartment on the edge of the Wadi aN-Nisnas neighborhood of Haifa, where the remaining Arabs of Haifa who managed to avoid exile were herded in 1948.  I slept sleepless nights on a carpet between the kitchen and a small living room. My life was not an ordinary life of an Arab child in Haifa. The house was always full.

At night the kitchen saw an ensemble of insomniac  old German Jewish professors, lawyers, and writers who had agglomerated around  my parents. Always in dark uncolored suites and hats. Each night quietly  lamenting, often wailing, for things that have passed. But what of the future? Nothing of the future that I can remember; except once in the ever so European synagog of Weizmann Institute, one of these professors insisted that I should study Mathematics at university; I was six years old and can’t  remember the language that was used but remember the sentence.

In the afternoons our living room was heavily laden with young Arab poets and emerging intellectuals. The greatest Arab poet of our time, Mahmoud Darwish, passed through that room and converted packets of the Israeli brand TIME cigarettes into the poetry of our generation. These intellectuals spoke of the future and never of the past. These Arabs were aspiring, as it were, to appropriate for themselves Jewish humanist traditions. Plotting their own colonial enterprise. The colonisation of the coloniser.

It is to this culture that I belong and for this reason I think that my perspective, Arab Sources, should find Mondoweiss a comfortable new home.

About Simone Daud

A Palestinian academic. A progressive internationalist with a wholly secular outlook. Meticulously pacifist and a militantly anti-reactionary perspective. An interest in progressive advocacy spanning gay rights, refugee rights.
Posted in Israel/Palestine | Tagged

{ 130 comments... read them below or add one }

1. Chaos4700 says:

Wow, awesome. DKos’ purge is our gain by a mile, apparently.

Does anyone know if the African American commentators who were censored over at DKos have found any specific refuge too? I’m rather interested in hearing their story, both in the context of the purge and generally what they had to say.

• Simone Daud says:

Essentially the situation is that Markos has no idea about the personalities and dynamic of the African American community on DailyKos. So he went on a banning and punishment spree. He punished a writer by the name Robinswing. She is highly respected and a real leader in her community. He also banished, as far as I can tell almost half the regular African America writers that I paid attention to. Here is some info, which was followed up by many (DailyKos does not have a reverse citation search):

link to dailykos.com

• Avi says:

Mr. Daud, I’m curious, why were the African American writers banned? Where they too ‘uppity’ for the democratic party establishment?

• Simone Daud says:

The horor they had to put up with. That small group of African Americans. There was this new administrator who would go around telling them to stop being angry and “calm down Francis.” Just undignified and lacking respect.

• Kathleen says:

My sense of Markos and so many examples support that he has an iron fist and and iron clad agenda. That agenda does not include open and honest discussion about numerous issues

• You got banned? You of all people?!? Jesus Hfucking Christ. You know after the last meta diary about dailykos I learned a lot. I also heard some rumors that Karmafish is still active there with his racist blog. So I did a google to find his blog and read it. It seems they had it out for you and a lot of other users. It seems like a lot of the old zionists handles are doing UGOG on his blog. It’s as if they all went their to hate on Palestinians and their supporters.

This isn’t usual it seems since that blog (written by Mike Lumish) of Karmafish is a ultrazionist hatefest. One comment that by Mets102 there shows just how serious they are about honest good faith discussions in which he states

“I do not believe that demonizing Israel is inherently anti-Semitic. That being said, for all practical purposes, it effectively is.”

How can anyone have a conversation with a person like that? A person who posts on a racist blog and says that saying anything about Israel is anti-Semitic? They don’t want discussion. They want to silence people.

I’m sorry this happened to you Daud. Your voice was silenced by those assholes. As where others it seems who where equally intelligent and honest. It is the communities loss and the only people that gain are the lying ultranationalist zionist assholes who troll and game the system at every chance.

It also seems Eiron and weasel got the axe for some reason. What a pity and what a mistake on the moderators part. What makes me sick, is that these lying assholes like volleyboy1 (Jon Segall) are trying to say they are the victims of the purges like the African American community was. They are hijacking other minority based awareness communities to further reduce any Arab voices at the site. It is disgusting what depths they will goto to have their way.

• Kathleen says:

“Wow, awesome. DKos’ purge is our gain by a mile, apparently.”

Took the words right out of my mouth.

A gain for truth seekers.

what a remarkable upbringing

• Pamela Olson says:

Those in the dark have to keep getting darker to keep pretending to make sense. It’s a sign of deep weakness and sad cowardice.

Why don’t people just look at and deal with reality? It wouldn’t be so bad if we wouldn’t keep covering our eyes and striking out blindly!

2. Shmuel says:

Welcome and thanks, Simone, for a beautiful first post.

3. CactusLand says:

Welcome Simone, I just finished this article on how Christianity is treated in our press, as compared to Zionism, and I would love to hear your thoughts… It brings up Michele Bachmann, but not in support of her, just as an example of how Christianity is treated different than Judaism in the American press. The point being, what is more dangerous for America, the Christian Right or the Zionist Right? link to thecactusland.com

• richb says:

The other question to be asked is which is more dangerous for Jews. Real Dominionists and Christian Zionists are different species. (They have fundamentally opposing eschatologies.) Confused folk like Bachmann often conflate the two but she is much more the latter than the former. See this critique of Christian Zionism by a Dominionist’s Dominionist, Gary North:

The source of the idea of the Great Tribulation is found in Jesus’ last words regarding Israel, which are recorded in Matthew 24 and Luke 21.

And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh. Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto. For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled. But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people. And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled (Luke 21:20-24).

Throughout most of church history, this prophecy was interpreted as having been fulfilled by the Roman siege of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple in 70 A.D. With the rise of dispensationalism, however, the fulfillment of this passage was moved into the future.

Dispensationalism’s critics had long asked: “Where is the nation of Israel? Where are the Jews?” Not in Palestine, surely. So, dispensationalists tended to apply this prophecy of near-destruction to Jews in general – only symbolically residing in Israel – until 1948. This was one reason for their silence on Hitler’s persecution. Hitler was just another rung in the ladder of persecution leading to the inevitable Great Tribulation.

The prophesied agency of the great persecution has shifted over the years. As Wilson shows in Armageddon Now!, from 1917 until 1977, Russia was a prime candidate. But, after 1991, this has become difficult to defend, for obvious reasons. The collapse of the Soviet Union has created a major problem for dispensationalism’s theologians and its popular authors. But there have been no comparable doubts about the intensity of the coming persecution. Here is the opinion of John F. Walvoord, one of dispensationalism’s leading theologians, who served for three decades as the president of Dallas Theological Seminary (founded, 1924), the movement’s main seminary.

The purge of Israel in their time of trouble is described by Zechariah in these words: “And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith Jehovah, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein. And I will bring the third part into the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried” (Zechariah 13:8, 9). According to Zechariah’s prophecy, two thirds of the children of Israel in the land will perish, but the one third that are left will be refined and be awaiting the deliverance of God at the second coming of Christ which is described in the next chapter of Zechariah. [John F. Walvoord, Israel in Prophecy (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, [1962] 1988), p. 108.

Nothing can or will be done by Christians to save Israel’s Jews from this disaster, for all of the Christians will have been removed from this world three and a half years prior to the beginning of this 42-month period of tribulation. (The total period of seven years is interpreted as the fulfillment of the seventieth week of Daniel [Dan. 9:27].)

In order for most of today’s Christians to escape physical death, two-thirds of the Jews in Israel must perish, soon. This is the grim prophetic trade-off that fundamentalists rarely discuss publicly, but which is the central motivation in the movement’s support for Israel. It should be clear why they believe that Israel must be defended at all costs by the West. If Israel were militarily removed from history prior to the Rapture, then the strongest case for Christians’ imminent escape from death would have to be abandoned. This would mean the indefinite delay of the Rapture. The fundamentalist movement thrives on the doctrine of the imminent Rapture, not the indefinitely postponed Rapture.

Every time you hear the phrase, “Jesus is coming back soon,” you should mentally add, “and two-thirds of the Jews of Israel will be dead in ‘soon plus 84 months.’” Fundamentalists really do believe that they probably will not die physically, but to secure this faith prophetically, they must defend the doctrine of an inevitable holocaust.

This specific motivation for the support of Israel is never preached from any fundamentalist pulpit. The faithful hear sermons – many, many sermons – on the pretribulation Rapture. On other occasions, they hear sermons on the Great Tribulation. But they do not hear the two themes put together: “We can avoid death, but only because two-thirds of the Jews of Israel will inevitably die in a future holocaust. America must therefore support the nation of Israel in order to keep the Israelis alive until after the Rapture.” Fundamentalist ministers expect their congregations to put two and two together on their own. It would be politically incorrect to add up these figures in public.

The fundamentalists I have known generally say they appreciate Jews. They think Israel is far superior to Arab nations. They believe in a pro-Israel foreign policy as supportive of democracy and America’s interests. They do not dwell upon the prophetic fate of Israel’s Jews except insofar as they want to transfer the threat of the Great Tribulation away from themselves and their families. Nevertheless, this is the bottom line: the prophetic scapegoating of Israel. This scapegoat, not Christians, must be sent into the post-Rapture wilderness.

Evangelism in Israel

Their eschatology has produced a kind of Catch-22 for fundamentalists. What if, as a result of evangelism, the Jews of Israel were converted en masse to Christianity? They would then be Raptured, along with their Gentile brethren, leaving only Arabs behind. This scenario would make the immediate fulfillment of prophecy impossible: no post-Rapture Israelis to persecute. So, fundamentalists have concluded that the vast majority of the Jews of Israel cannot, will not, and must not be converted to Christianity.

This raises an obvious question: Why spend money on evangelizing Israelis? It would be a waste of resources. This is why there are so few active fundamentalist ministries in Israel that target Jews. They target Arabs instead. Eschatologically speaking, the body of an Israeli must be preserved, for he may live long enough to go through the Great Tribulation. But his soul is expendable. This is why fundamentalists vocally support the nation of Israel, but then do very little to preach to Israelis the traditional Protestant doctrine of salvation by faith in Jesus Christ. Fundamentalists have a prophetic agenda for Israelis that does not involve at least two-thirds of the Israelis’ souls. Israelis are members of the only group on earth that has an unofficial yet operational King’s X against evangelism by fundamentalists, specifically so that God may preserve Israelis for the sake of the destruction of modern Israel in the Great Tribulation. The presence of Israel validates the hope of fundamentalists that Christians, and Christians alone, will get out of life alive.

• Mooser says:

Richb, do you ever have any trouble distinguishing what people say they believe and what they really believe?

“See this critique of Christian Zionism by a Dominionist’s Dominionist, Gary North:”

Ah, now I see why there’s so much fuss at psych wards if they suspect one of the patients has gotten hold of a white physician’s jacket and stethoscope.

Hmmm, I wonder if they will call it the Dominionist Republic?

• richb says:

I’m not pro-Dominionist. All I’m advocating here is precision in terms. My point is Dominionism because it’s post-mil is not Zionist. The reason why Ron Paul is not a Zionist is because he’s a Dominionist. See link to scienceblogs.com Gary North served as Paul’s research assistant for in his first Congressional term (1976).

• CactusLand says:

Rich B, I think you are jumping to conclusions..if Ron Paul were a Dominionist, would here advocate legalizing recreational drugs and prostitution? Even his view on abortion are not Dominionist at all (they want a Constitutional Amendment declaring life begins at conception, he would oppose that) What many people confuse is Dr. Paul’s complete and utter rejection of the Federal Governments power. When Dr. Paul states

“The notion of a rigid separation between church and state has no basis in either the text of the Constitution or the writings of our Founding Fathers. On the contrary, our Founders’ political views were strongly informed by their religious beliefs. Certainly the drafters of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, both replete with references to God, would be aghast at the federal government’s hostility to religion. The establishment clause of the First Amendment was simply intended to forbid the creation of an official state church like the Church of England, not to drive religion out of public life.”

And people accuse him of Dominionism they do not understand that Paul is defending the personal religious liberty over the courts suppression of the 1st amendment rights of people involved in government.

We will see these types of attacks on Ron Paul increase as the powers that be realize the true weight of his strength. There were boos yesterday, but from whom? Ron Paul received more military donations than any other candidate.

• richb says:

Yup. In Rushdooney’s Institutes of Biblical Law he posited multiple authorities one of which was self-government (others are the church and the family) which he viewed as superior to the secular state. Small-government Libertarianism and Dominionism can be quite compatible. Gary North felt at ease with destroying other institutions for the sake of “self-government” such as the courts, the federal government, and academia. He called it “capturing the robes”.

4. Fantastic- great news to have Arab Sources here and welcome Simone to a very open, beautifully free, and diverse (eee, lli, hophmi, Richard that’s you all I’m-a-talkin’ about) blogging home.

5. Avi says:

Simone Daud, welcome aboard.

I look forward to reading more about your experiences and thoughts.

6. Wonderful stuff. Welcome. I hope you find this a more amenable home.

7. A very warm welcome, Simone. Your contributions will be a wonderful addition to the already flourishing amount of content disseminated here at Mondoweiss.

8. LeaNder says:

At night the kitchen saw an ensemble of insomniac old German Jewish professors, lawyers, and writers who had agglomerated around my parents.

Welcome, Simone Daud. I can imagine that was a really difficult time for some Jekkes.

9. eee says:

Simone Daud,

Which party did you vote for in the last Israeli elections?

• Mooser says:

“Simone Daud,
      Which party did you vote for in the last Israeli elections?”

Say, “eee” what’s your real name and address?

Mooser,

What exactly is your problem? My question is a very reasonable one. It will allow other Israelis to understand his views and politics in a nutshell.

I gravitated between Kadima and Likud and finally voted Likud because I believe Bibi has more chance of bringing peace than Livni.

• Mooser says:

“What exactly is your problem?”

Oh, I apologise. I must learn not to bother people when they are at work.

C’mon, “eee”, I’m waiting for the famous line from Tom Sawyer

• radii says:

@eee

non-sequitur, your facts are out of order

there is only one political Party in zionist israel – the racist-steal-murder Party

10. Philip Weiss says:

I’m deeply humbled that Simone has shared this with us. A beautiful post indeed– a thrilling story about shared intellectual traditions. Thank you

11. BillM says:

Great post, and thank you. The simple act of translating Arab sources is incredibly powerful for people here. It expands the base of raw information, analysis, and perspective. The pro-Israel activists use translation extremely effectively, with organizations such as MEMRI existing solely to pick and choose among both words and speakers to find the juiciest bits of outrage and pull them out of context. It’s not surprising that the US government helps fund MEMRI, given how genuinely effective it is.

By bringing forth real Arab sources, this behemoth is what you are challenging directly. It’s a hell of a fight you’ve chosen, but the big battles are really the only ones worth fighting.

Welcome to the site (and congratulations to Philip for the coup).

12. worker bee says:

This is definitely a better home than dkos. Welcome!

13. MRW says:

Welcome, Simone! Happy that you’re here.

14. Chu says:

Thank you for sharing your history. It’s stories like these that would benefit the American public in piecing together the Palestinian narrative. A 2 hour C-SPAN live reading of varied authors would be a great start. Breaking the decades-long cycle of this one-sided narrative would be incalculable to Americans and their preconceived perspectives.

15. Kathleen says:

On blocking, censorship etc. Nothing on the Diane Rehm show, Cspans Washington Journal, Huffington Post about Erdogans visit to Cairo or the upcoming Palestinian vote at the UN. Nothing at all.

I just politely challenged the Diane Rehm show blog moderator and they would not put up my comment.

16. So I am not familiar with Simone, but I’m curious what he has to say. Certainly, he carries more weight and talks to the points better than most of the hateful anti-Israel commentators here.

Simone knows that at the end of the day, we have to come to an accommodation that not only makes sense for both of us, but will be a basis for a flourishing relationship going forward. I am far from optimistic, but never say never.

• Mooser says:

Well, longliveisrael, it’s just inexplicable isn’t it? I mean, what on earth could cause anybody to have the slightest negative reaction to a real sweetheart like you?

Oh, BTW, care to tell us what steps Israel should make in order to achieve that “accommodation”?

• Shmuel says:

This reminds me of something I once heard a settler say to a group of Israelis who had come to express solidarity with a Palestinian whose vines and olive trees had been destroyed by settlers:

“At the end of the day, you will go back to Tel-Aviv (sic), and he will have to learn to live with me.”

He wasn’t optimistic either, and also called us hateful anti-Semites.

Shmuel,

And the settler was right. We can fight wars or we can learn to live with each other. Simone and his Jewish neighbors have learned to live with each other. No? That is all LLI is saying.

• Shmuel says:

3e,

The settler was not talking about “living with each other”, but about the Palestinian farmer resigning himself to his fate and recognising who’s boss. His message was loud and clear: You can’t help him and the army can’t or won’t help him, because ‘I’m the law around here’.

LLI was not as blunt, but his comment reflects a similar attitude: Bleeding hearts butt out; this is between us (powerful Israelis) and them (powerless Palestinians), and we’ll work it out our own way.

Shmuel,

What LLI is saying is that Simone is living with his Jewish neighbors well and that may be a template. Or has Simone resigned to his fate?

In the end, whether bleeding hearts butt out or not, it is between Israelis and Palestinians and the solutions will reflect the differences in power. You cannot rewind history.

• Mooser says:

“‘I’m the law around here’.”

Funny how nobody in Israel administration or IDF noticed all those settlers sneaking under the wire until it was too late. Oh well, maybe they did it on Saturdays.

• annie says:

You cannot rewind history.

isn’t that illuminating coming from someone whose culture is steeped mythology about rebuilding a temple. whatever. simone doesn’t have to rewind history he can just use that ‘continuous presence’ (in spades i might add) line you guys love so much.

• Shmuel says:

In the end … it is between Israelis and Palestinians and the solutions will reflect the differences in power. You cannot rewind history.

Yes, I know, it’s a tough world out there, survival of the fittest and all that, but the imbalance of power can be redressed by the international community, and any viable solution will have to address and resolve the core issues that lie at the heart of the conflict – including the refugees and the rights of Palestinian Israelis (who do live with their Jewish neighbours, but not as equals). In the continued absence of such a solution, the Palestinians will persist – with the help of the international community – in their struggle against occupation, discrimination and dispossession. They have to live with Jewish Israelis, but that doesn’t mean they have to live by Zionist rules.

• Tzombo says:

“You cannot rewind history.”
          Haha, that is funny coming from a zionist. You whole political philosophy is based on rewinding history.

Shmuel,

Now that you mention the “international community” I think I heard about it. Is it that community that cannot pass a UN resolution against the Syrian regime? How do you say משענת קנה רצוץ in English?

In 1948 the international community could not force Israel to take back the refugees, you think it will be able to do it now? The Clinton parameters pretty much say that there is no right of return to Israel, only to the Palestinian state.

• eee says:

Even Carter says the same thing about the right of return:
          link to nytimes.com

So do not count on the international community when it comes to the right of return.

Ok Tzombo,

Make a wish and change the result of the 1947-48 war or the 67 war. How is that working for you? Don’t worry, keep trying. The political philosophy of Zionism is “one goat and then one more goat”: Instead of dreaming, do something constructive no matter how little and repeat. Over a long period of time, you will get results.

• DBG says:

the only chance of a return of the descendants of the Palestinian refugees in the camps is the two state solution. A one state solution couldn’t and wouldn’t support the influx of millions of more inhabitants.

I’ll be more willing to support a one state solution once the ‘one-staters’ accept this.

• Shmuel says:

3e,

Sometimes the international community chooses to act and sometimes it does not. Sometimes it is successful and sometimes it is not. Sometimes the processes involved take some time to reach critical mass. How do you say נחיה ונראה in English?

In the meantime, I think I’ll try to do the right thing (which also happens to be the smart thing in light of the virtual impossibility of reaching a viable solution – your professed faith in Bibi notwithstanding) and follow the lead set by Palestinian civil society: BDS and a rights-based approach. And as the Rabbis said: The task is not yours to complete, but you are not at liberty to remain idle. (Moral relativists need not apply.)

Annie,

“he can just use that ‘continuous presence’”

Maybe he can, maybe he can’t. Many Arabs came to Palestine during the British mandate because it was doing better economically than other regions in the middle east. Many of Haifa’s Arabs came from Lebanon and Syria.

• annie says:

“one goat and then one more goat”….do something constructive no matter how little and repeat. Over a long period of time, you will get results.

how interesting that this is the ‘political philosophy of Zionism’ because i just googled “one goat and then one more goat” both in english and hebrew and my results were nil. perhaps you could find some source i could read by another name?

do something constructive no matter how little and repeat, over a long period of time is a very common sense practice in life. one i take seriously. where do you think this idea first came into being and don’t you think it is rather universal? like water running over rocks smoothing them down over the decades and centuries?

and another thing, as an outside observer it doesn’t appear israel’s actions always portray a philosophy of little by little. they definitely make big bold obnoxiously violent moves that are not being received too well my many people. how do you think tat might impact israel’s future eee?

Shmuel,

נחיה ונראה , isn’t that what the dead man said to the blind man?

You would be standing on firmer ground if it were not the case that the “Palestinian civil society” you talk about is no more than a few intellectuals with zero political power and zero influence in Palestinian affairs.

True, the task is not ours to complete, but isn’t that what settlers say also, quoting the same Rabbis? Which really begs the question as to the kind of task you are trying to complete.

Annie,

Well, you have to improve your search skills. Google “עוד דונם ועוד עז”, that should help.
          As for the idea being universal, I don’t see the Palestinians following this strategy. If they would have, they would not be living in refugee camps.

• lysias says:

“one goat and then one more goat”

First one plot of land, then another, then another,…

Pretty soon you’ve got yourself all of Palestine.

• Shmuel says:

נחיה ונראה , isn’t that what the dead man said to the blind man?
          Droll.

See the nearly 200 associations and organisations that signed the original 2005 call: link to bdsmovement.net:

Classic אנו רצים והם רצים – “they hasten and we hasten” (See Nehunyah ben ha-Kana’s prayer upon leaving the study hall, and the verse he quotes at the end: Ps. 55:24).

• eee says:

“See the nearly 200 associations and organisations that signed the original 2005 call: link to bdsmovement.net”

Nu, most of these associations are a joke. Let’s see how many votes your platform gets in the next election.

“they hasten and we hasten” – still the question remains open because the settlers also believe they are running in the right direction. I guess you are not fallible while I am.

• Avi says:

eee September 13, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Google “עוד דונם ועוד עז”, that should help.

It looks like Danaa’s comment from several weeks ago, that you are either a recent oleh or a Brooklyn ‘returnee’, has sent you scrambling for some Hebrew catch phrases. See if you can figure out the difference between חכם and מתחכם.

• Shmuel says:

Nu, so you’re an expert on Palestinian civil society now? BDS does in fact enjoy virtually across-the-board support among Palestinians (public opinion Abbas yielded to in supporting a partial boycott). Setting aside the issues of who will actually get to vote in Palestinian elections (presumably neither refugees nor Israeli citizens), and if and when free elections will be held, political processes often fail to reflect the positions of civil society. That does not mean that civil society has “zero political power and zero influence”, as I’m sure you know.

Spoken like a true moral relativist.

• radii says:

yes, eee, a great many Palestinians have declared themselves willing to live alongside their zionist jewish occupiers if only the occupiers would quit stealing more land, cutting down their trees, fouling their land with sewage, abusing their children, viciously attacking them and generally just being cruel and vicious and trying to force every last one of them out

… you have to be a good neighbor to have good neighbors and the settlers and much of the institutions in israel and most of the people there now are hell-bent on control and possession, certainly not sharing

• annie says:

we already know that about you

• So, Shumuel, Shall I assume that you are a Jew who supports boycotting Israel?

• Chaos4700 says:

Shmuel has stated he supports boycotting products of the Occupation, I believe. Since there is no Israel without the Occupation — there is no Zionism without theft of land and murder of civilians — that’s really not his fault, is it?

• Inanna says:

Thank you Joan Peters. Weren’t you discredited some time back?

• Hostage says:

The Palestinians won’t be diverted for more than a few days when they apply for membership in the UN. Why do you suppose that Israel and the US said nothing about this publicly announced plan for two years and are suddenly wasting so much of their own time acting as if its the end of the world that a few Palestinians spend a couple of weeks getting the General Assembly to adopt a hortatory resolution? Why would yet another hortatory resolution prevent negotiations or require an Israeli reponse? Why should anyone care about Clinton’s claims that a Palestinian state can only be achieved through negotiations? No American leader has ever concluded any such negotiations.

Judge Richard Goldstone said prosecutors should not tailor what they are doing to reports of what’s happening on the ground in negotiations. They should indict the responsible individuals if that is where the evidence leads. He related that the political assessment of UN Secretary-General Boutros-Ghali over the timing of the indictment of Radovan Karadzic had been incorrect. Had he not been indicted, the Dayton Accords would not have been brokered. Simon Wiesenthal stressed that if Karadzic were ever indicted he should know that if he didn’t immediately face trial, he would be hunted for the rest of his days. Wiesenthal felt that was the only way to deter other would-be-criminals. Karadzic managed to avoid arrest and trial for quite a while. See You Tube,

“Conversations with History – Richard J. Goldstone”
           , and Richard Goldstone “For Humanity: Reflections of a War Crimes Investigator”, Yale University Press (August 11, 2000), ISBN 9780300082050, pp 93-103

• Chu says:

Stay positive, LLI. It’s not like you’re a Palestinian in Gaza.

Chu,

The irony is that all Palestinians in Gaza have to do is accept the Quartet’s conditions and their situation would improve dramatically. Mind you, these are not Israeli conditions. The Quartet is made of the UN, EU, US and Russia. You make bad decisions, you pay a price.

• Chu says:

Oh, Israel isn’t the problem, it’s the quartet. I see.

• You seem to have neglected that Palestine has accepted Oslo, and recently the Palestinian papers most of everything demanded. And still they got nothing except more occupation, more dispossession and more violence. Your naivety is touching, if a little faux. As for the Quartet, what has Israel done to accept their recommendations?

• eee says:

No, its Hamas. They should accept the Quartet conditions. Let’s see what happens then.

• eee says:

You again ignore the question. The people in Gaza are suffering. They can alleviate their suffering easily by accepting the Quartet conditions. Why don’t they?

• Doctor Pi says:

The Quartet is a joke.

• Chaos4700 says:

Why should Hamas except the Quartet conditions? Israel clearly doesn’t.

• Hostage says:

The PA took you to the ICJ because all Palestinians are suffering – and they won. When the General Assembly endorsed the ICJ findings they adopted a resolution:

Calling upon both parties to fulfil their obligations under relevant provisions of the road map, the Palestinian Authority to undertake visible efforts on the ground to arrest, disrupt and restrain individuals and groups conducting and planning violent attacks, and the Government of Israel to take no actions undermining trust, including deportations and attacks on civilians and extrajudicial killings,

In exchange the Quartet were required to promote recognition of a Palestinian State and UN membership, but they haven’t honored their obligation. Israel has authorized thousands of new units in the illegal settlements; deported Palestinians from East Jerusalem; the IDF is still making incursions and killing “threatening” old men while they sleep in their beds; and conducting targeted killings of militia leaders in Gaza on the basis of little or no evidence. Why doesn’t Israel accept the applicable international law, the ICJ opinion, or the Quartet Roadmap?

17. soysauce says:

Dearest Simone, Very happy that this community will now benefit from the insights and knowledge I have benefited from over the last three years on Daily Kos. Your friendship and support have made me a better and stronger activist. Thanks for everything.

18. iamuglow says:

Wonderful news. This site is becoming more formidable by the day.

19. yourstruly says:

welcome, simone

how timely, your appearance here on mw

yes, the future

for palestine

america

the world

looking forward to your thoughts on where & how to get there

20. Kathleen says:

Phil if blogs and national radio shows keep shutting their doors to the I/P debate, covering Erdogan’s visit to Cairo etc…Mondoweiss, Race for Iran, Informed Comment (although Juan Cole censors heavily) and a few other places will be the only outlets for honest discussion and information about these critical issues.

Really think the Diane Rehm show is closing its doors to this discussion. Been awhile since they have whispered about the I/P issue. Think there may be a Israeli lobby take over going on oher program. Really changing

• American says:

kathleen

I think CAMERA has succeeded in shutting down NPR on I/P. Just one or two examples of their efforts to censor:

In May of 2003 CAMERA organized protest against NPR at NPR radio stations in 33 cities…calling them National ‘Palestine’ Radio.

Also in 2003 Congress, led by the main Jewish members–Lantos, Waxman,Brad Sherman, Ackerman, etc.etc…demanded of NPR president, Kevin Klose that NPR do an internal “audit” of it’s ME coverage.

Then finally in 2005 they got one of their own appointed as overseer:

“Longtime GOP Fundraiser and NPR Critic Elected to Head CPB Share

Longtime Republican fundraiser Cheryl Halpern was elected the new chair of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting earlier this week. Halpern has overseen such government-funded media projects as Voice of America, Radio Marti in Cuba and Radio Free Iraq. She has also accused National Public Radio of anti-Israel bias. We speak with Celia Wexler of Common Cause.

Earlier this week, longtime Republican fundraiser Cheryl Halpern was elected the new chair of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, replacing Kenneth Tomlinson whose two-year term had ended. Before President Bush appointed Halpern to the CPB in 2002 she served on the Broadcasting Board of Governors overseeing such government-funded media projects as Voice of America, Radio Marti in Cuba and Radio Free Iraq. Halpern is also the former national chair of the Republican Jewish Coalition and she has accused National Public Radio of being biased against Israel. Like her predecessor, Kenneth Tomlinson, Halpern has also criticized the journalism of Bill Moyers.

Two years ago she publicly agreed with Senator Trent Lott’s comment that Moyers is “the most partisan and nonobjective person I know in media of any kind.” Halpern has given over $300,000 dollars in political contributions in recent years almost all to Republicans. Recipients have included President Bush, Senator Trent Lott of Mississippi and Sam Brownback of Kansas. The group Common Cause warned Monday that the selection of Halpern may “mean more politicizing for public broadcasting.”

The CPB also elected Gay Hart Gaines, a member of the Heritage Foundation, as Vice Chair. Gaines has served as president of the Palm Beach Republican Club and is a former chairwoman of Newt Gingrich’s GOPAC, the GOP political action committee that raised millions of dollars for Republican candidates across the country.

JUAN GONZALEZ: We’re joined now in our DC Studio by Celia Wexler. She’s the Vice President of Advocacy for Common Cause. Welcome to Democracy Now!

CELIA WEXLER: Thank you for having me.

JUAN GONZALEZ: Well, could you expound a little bit on your views on the dangers of this new — of Miss Halpern assuming her new position?

CELIA WEXLER: Well, the danger is this: is that the Corporation for Public Broadcasting was set up specifically to be a heat shield protecting Public Broadcasting from editorial interference. The visionaries that started Public Broadcasting wanted that kind of function for the board of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. Well, Cheryl Halpern, as her predecessor, Ken Tomlinson, bring a totally different mindset to that job. Instead of being a heat shield, they put the heat on. You know, and that’s the problem. We want a Public Broadcasting that feels free to speak truth to power, whether it’s a Democratic administration or a Republican administration, but Tomlinson and Halpern have no concept of that.

JUAN GONZALEZ: In terms of whether this is more of a problem now, having her replace Tomlinson, or less, your perspective on that?

CELIA WEXLER: Well, I think what you get with Halpern is a very — much more effective Tomlinson. You know, Mr. Tomlinson was a little bit bumbling. He kind of made sort of major mistakes about going about things. And as a consequence, you have an Inspector General, the CPB’s own Inspector General, looking into what he did. My take on Ms. Halpern is that she’s much more subtle. She says the right thing, but I think that she’s just going to be more effective at fulfilling the goals that they both share.

AMY GOODMAN: And Celia Wexler of Common Cause, what about the Vice Chair, coming together, the Chair and the Vice Chair of the CPB being chosen?

CELIA WEXLER: Yes. Well, Gay Hart Gaines is a very interesting lady. She was an ardent fundraiser for Newt Gingrich in the days when Gingrich was really all about zeroing out the funds for Public Broadcasting. He has changed his tune on that, but when she was working very hard for Gingrich and GOPAC, that’s where he was at. Gay Hart Gaines is a huge donor, even out-shadowing the Halperns in terms of how much she and her family members have given to Republican causes over the years. She is now Vice Vhair.

She has no background at all in broadcasting. She is an interior designer by profession, which is, you know, perfectly honorable, but I’m always tickled because when people interviewed her about getting this job, she said, “Gee, it’s great I don’t have to leave the country,” with the implication being, well, you know, you give a lot, maybe you get to be an ambassador, but this is even better, because you know, I get to be on the CPB board and I can stay at home.

I think that the fact that the Vice Chair now is not held by a person of another party or an independent, it sends a very bad signal. As you know, there was a move by Ernie Wilson, one of the Democratic members on the board, to put in the Vice Chair position Beth Courtney, who is a very effective public broadcaster, who is an independent and would have made a very good Vice Chair. When the vote came in, the secret ballot came in, Courtney lost that position, and Gay Hart Gaines assumed it. And to us, it sends the signal again that being partisan is part of what the Corporation for Public Broadcasting is all about these days.

AMY GOODMAN: One of the things the media has reported on the Chair, Halpern, is that she has been criticizing NPR before she became Chair, for, quote, “anti-Israel bias”. Your response, Celia Wexler?

CELIA WEXLER: Well, I think again, you know, you look at where she is coming from. She has been a very ardent, pro-Israeli person. She obviously started with — was very involved in the Republican Jewish Committee. She has a particular point of view. She is entitled to that point of view. The problem is can she separate that point of view, which is an advocacy point of view, from understanding how journalists do their job, and that their fact-based reporting that sometimes is going to be critical of Israel. And I am very — we are very concerned about that. I know when she was talking to reporters after she was elected Chairman, I think she gave the impression that any, you know, complaint about this kind of coverage she got, she would refer to the ombudsman that Tomlinson got appointed to work for the CPB. So, I think it is a concern.

AMY GOODMAN: Celia Wexler, I want to thank you very much for being with us, Vice President of Advocacy at Common Cause.’

Then evidently not satisfied they had completely stamped out all fairness in reporting, they colluded with their right wing to attack NPR again:

A group posing as a ‘Muslim Brotherhood’ organization wanting to make a donation to NPR ,which was in reality a sting operation put together by a right wing guy named O’Keefe got the NPR CEO fired for criticizing the tea party as racist.
      link to abcnews.go.com” CEO Vivian Schiller Resigns After Hidden Camera Sting Snares Top Fundraiser”

I won’t say it does no good to contact NPR –it at least gives them encouragement to cover I/P fairly. But in reality and in the end the real battle is with the Zionist censorship orgs and their right and even left wing partners that use political bribes, threats of ligation and intimation of individuals to slant and shush our media.

• MRW says:

American,

Thank you for pointing this out, which everyone should understand the importance of:

In my view, the Republican Jewish Coalition has become a hate-filled rabidly right-wing pro-Israel group. For background for those who don’t know and are new here: from Rabbi Haim Dov Beliak’s early (2007) report on them here:

Republican Jewish Coalition responsible for mailing anti-Muslim film
        Mailing done in cooperation with Christian Zionist organization
        By JewsOnFirst.org, February 15, 2007

The Republican Jewish Coalition is responsible for a mailing received by Reform rabbis and other Jews that included a DVD of the controversial anti-Muslim film Obsession, JewsOnFirst.org has learned. At least part of the mailing was sent under the postal permit of Christians United for Israel, a leading Christian Zionist organization.

The DVD was packaged inside a book by David Brog (see scan below, at right), CUFI’s executive director. The package also contained a letter by a former Israeli ambassador to Washington [Danny Ayalon, now member of far-right Yisrael Beiteinu party in Israel], endorsing Brog’s book and calling on Jews to accept an alliance with Christian Zionists.

The rest here: link to jewsonfirst.org

• Kathleen says:

“Halpern is also the former national chair of the Republican Jewish Coalition and she has accused National Public Radio of being biased against Israel.”

That was the line that jumped out at me. No I lobby influence in our MSM. Nope nope nope choke

• Kathleen says:

21. Chespirito says:

BIG welcome to you Simone Daud. What a terrific addition to MondoWeiss, so exciting, and such a valuable service you provide. You were clearly too good for DailyKos–lord have mercy, what is UP with them?–and as every one said already, their loss = our gain.
    And your first post is TERRIFIC.

22. Kathleen says:

Wondering if folks would be willing to contact Huffington Post and the Diane Rehm show and ask them why they are not covering Erdogans visit to Cairo or the upcoming Palestinian bid and vote for statehood at the UN.

I have been following the Diane Rehm show closely for 15 years. They have slowly and surely been closing way down on covering the I/P issue the last few years. Far more open for about 8 years. Something is going on over there. More than likely a campaign similar to what went on at the Childrens art museum in Oakland and the Khalil Gibran academy in New York. Ask the producers at Diane Rehm if they are being contacted and pressured to shut down covering these issues. I actually know from a former employee that they are. Ask them…challenge them about these issues

Huffington Post contact info
    link to huffingtonpost.com

The Diane Rehm show contact info
    link to thedianerehmshow.org

23. American says:

Welcome addition imo.
    Not familiar with your writings on DK but look foward to learning from your point of view.

24. Taxi says:

Welcome Simone, especially your beautiful impressions of the lands, waters and people of the Galilee.

I think you and I share a similar intellectual background – allow me therefore to share with you a passage I posted on Mondo some time ago:

“My father was a published political writer/analyst in 1970‘s, studying the Mideast up-close and living in Beirut. Beirut at the time, pre-civil war, was enjoying its new found freedom of the press so the city’s local and multi-national intellectuals were openly congregating, abuzz and vibrant about town and in private gatherings.

During that time, Mahmoud Darwish lived in Beirut too and befriended my father who was some twelve years his senior and a celebrated intellectual too. Their friendship was very dynamic and Mahmoud was a frequent visitor to our house when I was growing up. Often accompanying him, of course, was an endless stream of other notable Palestinian and Arab intellectuals, writers, journalists, poets, feminists, professors and the occasional musician. You could easily say that our house was a regular salon where ideas of national liberation, personal freedom, revolution and democracy were all being hotly analyzed, de-constructed and reconstructed again – for hours and hours on end my father and his Palestinian friends would chin-wag to copious amounts of Turkish coffee or whiskey/wine/Araq and yes to copious amounts of Marlboros and Cuban cigars to boot! History, politics, ethics and everything under the sun was discussed, opined and vigorously argued with much wit and wisdom and sometimes even with much fiery angst, especially when the topic was the encroaching Zionist territories and how best to deal with this ongoing Nakba.”

The full post is here: link to mondoweiss.net

Again, welcome Simone – looking forward to reading more of your articles.

BTW the DK is the Huffpost but with chipped nails and un-coiffed hair. In other words the DK is a frumpy version of the Huff. Indeed both publications are over-populated with tone-deaf and smarmy town-criers.

Why you ever went to the DK in the first place is the mystery to me. But glad you’re here finally. Ahlan wa sahlan be Simone.

• Simone Daud says:

funny thing is that in Palestine they would say in a hostile way on days they didn’t like Mahmoud: so he walks around like he owns the world in Lebanon, smoking Marlboro.

As though the local brand was more “socialist”

• Taxi says:

And what’s funnier Simone is that Mahmoud and my father always joked that public enemy number 1 is zionism, number two is the tax man, and public enemy number three is Phillip Morris :-)

25. annie says:

At night the kitchen saw an ensemble of insomniac old German Jewish professors, lawyers, and writers who had agglomerated around my parents……..In the afternoons our living room was heavily laden with young Arab poets and emerging intellectuals. …………These Arabs were aspiring, as it were, to appropriate for themselves Jewish humanist traditions. Plotting their own colonial enterprise. The colonisation of the coloniser.

i find this very fascinating. i cut our chunks only for brevity to highlight the mingling aspect. i’d like to hear more about the attraction of your parents and your home in particular. and how common or unusual was all this mingling of intellectuals back then? please tell us more.

26. DBG says:

Simone, as an Israeli citizen, can you outline for us what you think the most just and reasonable solution is for the I/P situation?

• DBG says:

exactly what i expected. which part was funny?

• Simone Daud says:

Your question is like the introduction to a Monty Python skit.

In my capacity as an Israeli citizen the following is an outline of the most just and most reasonable solution for the I/P situations.

I did not choose Israeli citizenship, it chose me. The passport does not afford to me any new perspective on what is and what is not just, let alone the _most_ just among just solutions.

If you’ve ever driven in Israel you will know that I won’t be able to talk about what is reasonable.

It’s never been a situation or an I/P situation.

• Chaos4700 says:

Exactly what you expected? What, that nobody would take your question seriously?

Gosh, DBG, you are learning.

• MRW says:

Simone, as an Israeli citizen, can you outline for us the history of the world as perceived by the Palestinians and waste an inordinate amount of your unpaid time on this?

27. radii says:

Simone,
    Welcome.

You won’t be pressured here, except to express yourself more freely and with more passion … there will some occasional intellectual sparring and a lot of fending off trolls and hasbarists who clog discussion.

It seems israel is a one-note orchestra and it plays the same tune over and over and in the same droning note: propagandize-maim-kill-steal, and I only see them retreating like a wounded animal and becoming more vicious and more cruel as history marches past them and I am sad already for the needless blood they will spill. Perhaps you can give your perspective to Mondoweiss readers on what happened to evaporate the humanist and justice-seeking jews that once populated zionism (was it merely a function of demographics and the settler mob out-birthing them?)

28. Simone Daud says:

As far as I can tell. Markos has now banned all the active pro-Palestinian advocates on dailykos.

• Kathleen says:

Are they coming here, Race for Iran, Informed Comment, Hardball, Rachel Maddow, The Last Word, the Diane Rehm show Huffington post. Spread out among the different blogs

• richb says:

Weasel got banned apparently for a diary sticking up for you. Of the “pack” only Volleyboy1 and Mets102 got their ratings privileges taken away. That was enough for them to — wait for it — boycott DK for a week starting last Sunday. Poor baby he couldn’t hit rec this: link to dailykos.com But he did complain about talking about things mentioned here. Not referring to Mondoweiss just talking about the same subject. Since he’s powerless to censor obviously there’s nothing left to be done.

Which website was that… (1+ / 0-)

Oh why look it is the banned site MondoFront… Imagine that… What a surprise.

DK4: For those times when pissing in the hummus isn’t enough

by volleyboy1 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 at 01:38:54 AM MDT

[ Parent | Reply to This ]

no one posted a link to mondoweiss (3+ / 0-)

that I could see. I was referring to the link in this comment

“Okay, until next time. Keep sending me your questions, and I will make fun of you… I mean, answer them.” – Strong Bad

by AaronInSanDiego on Sat Sep 10, 2011 at 01:51:57 AM MDT

[ Parent | Reply to This ]
      No you’re right no one did… and weird (1+ / 0-)

coincidence it’s the top story on their blog. Amazing! I can’t imagine how that happened.

I mean weasel is well aware that one can’t link to the “Front… it’s a banned source.

And he didn’t link to it. I am sure that it’s just pure coincidence.

DK4: For those times when pissing in the hummus isn’t enough

by volleyboy1 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 at 02:07:44 AM MDT

[ Parent | Reply to This ]

Volleyboy, did you just go read Mondoweiss? (8+ / 0-)

It’s banned, you know.

That’s all it takes, really…pressure and time.

by Flyswatterbanjo on Sat Sep 10, 2011 at 09:24:56 AM MDT

[ Parent | Reply to This ]

I know it is… Reading it is not banned (0+ / 1-)

just using it as a positive reference to make a point at Daily Kos is. I read all kinds of sites on the web and I am amazed at the similarities lately between DKos I/P and some other sites.

What a foolish comment FSB. Not surprising, coming from you but still…….

DK4: For those times when pissing in the hummus isn’t enough

by volleyboy1 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 at 10:13:30 AM MDT

[ Parent | Reply to This ]
      And since no one used it as a reference, (6+ / 0-)

your point in bringing up something that no one did is exactly what?

by Aunt Martha on Sat Sep 10, 2011 at 01:51:57 PM MDT

[ Parent | Reply to This ]
      Oh I was just marking the amazing coincidence (0+ / 0-)

that’s all…. No other point really ;-)

DK4: For those times when pissing in the hummus isn’t enough

by volleyboy1 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 at 03:23:50 PM MDT

[ Parent | Reply to This ]

29. CitizenC says:

Simone, welcome to MW, glad you have found refuge here. An e-group I was on was once removed from Yahoo with no warning whatever. Yahoo has a rep for intolerance on the Palestine question. Daily Kos is presumably about opinion but no more tolerant than some Zionist internet executive.

Anyway—what did you mean by your comment about Isaac Deutscher? “It is not clear to me when Isaac Deutscher, the Yiddish poet, biographer of Stalin, and humanist ceased to be an intellectual. This must have happened at least a decade before he passed away. “

• Simone Daud says:

I felt that Isaac Deutscher within a few years of the establishment of Israel lost his ability to see the suffering. He could not see the suffering of the refugees. He became protective of the “gains” that his community had made. He became inward looking and disoriented by history.

In the same way that the left in the west became disoriented by a perceived need to publicly defend the Soviet union.

• ToivoS says:

I just finished a history of the collapse of the CPUSA (1945 – 1958) and was struck by the parallels between the American communists views of the Soviet Union and the liberal Zionists views of Israel. In both cases there were these huge differences between their beliefs of these countries and the reality.

30. Inanna says:

A7lan wa sa7lan bi simone. Daily Kos’s loss is Mondoweiss’s gain. Great to have you and Arab Sources here.

• Simone Daud says:

ya hala, ya hala

I’m at a total loss regarding the motivations of Markos at Dailykos. We put so much effort into making that place a premier English language source for Arabic and Palestinian as well as Israeli news.

I feel like I waisted three years of my time there, writing poetry, analysis, and providing a unique experiential perspective. I was for a few days very hurt by the shutting down of Arab sources there. It can’t be a business decision can it, we were kind off popular.

I just feel like we were used

• Potsherd2 says:

His motivation is to become a power broker w/in the Democratic Party. To do this, he can’t be seen deviating from the pro-Israel party line. Ever since whenever, the site has harbored operatives who threaten to “expose the antisemitism” that pervades it until Markos does another purge. It’s a form of extortion, but not one that he finds at all unwelcome.

This isn’t the first purge, not by any means. The site has ALWAYS been run that way.

31. Simone Daud – As one who was purged right after someone posted a diary about me specifically being a Holocaust denier (which posters reviewing the assertions rejected with little effort) I say welcome, welcome, welcome.

I wonder if a DailyKos spring will have to come from without rather than within. It seems that the nature of the web means that at least for controlling the internal message, purges can be remarkably successful within their own borders. Defections and the like say quite a bit about the enforcement of orthodoxy.

I very much look forward to increasing my understanding of a people and region that has for far too long been shrouded in a sandstorm of deceit.

32. jayn0t says:

Thanks for hosting Simone. Slightly O/T, but this is about Palestinian statehood:
    link to guardian.co.uk
    It quotes Palestinians asking what good would a state be, consisting of a series of disconnected villages.

• Simone Daud says:

My view is the immediate priority is for the Palestinians to get a state in the west bank with Jerusalem as its capital. A place for the refugees of Lebanon and Syria to return to, and a place for Palestinians to live freely. Of course, following a state there will be a great need to negotiate a final settlement with Israel.

As for Palestinians being pessimistic about the UN moves, sure we are pessimistic but at the same time solidly supportive. In fact, there is even some gain to be gotten from a US veto in the UNSC.

• Potsherd2 says:

Solidly supportive? Hamas isn’t.

• Simone Daud says:

Yes Hamas in Gaza isn’t but the Hamas forums are both pessimistic and supportive.

For Hamas, which can be understood as the Palestinian opposition, they are against the move because Abbas is for it and is likely to gain the most from it. Palestine is unruly in a democratic kind of way.

• Potsherd2 says:

I’m always concerned for the national unity when I see these splits.

• Hostage says:

I’m always concerned for the national unity when I see these splits.

The folks in Charleston West Virgina have never agreed to move their capitol back to Richmond. That situation hasn’t bothered our national unity so much. There’s no rule which says that the Palestinians can’t have a federal union or confederation of more than one state. The US ended the occupation and obtained its independence first, and then operated under the Articles of Confederation before sorting things out under the present Constitution.

The whole single state vs two state debate is a distraction from the real issue of equal human rights in whatever states are established in the region of the former Palestine Mandate, e.g. Trans-Jordan and Cis-Jordan and the right to compensation or return to a person’s country of origin. Trying to get everyone to agree to a grand unified solution or abstract ideal may not be practical.

• Potsherd2 says:

But it’s been a long time since the people of WV have been faced by a really hostile force. Palestine’s enemies will do anything to profit from a split and drive a larger wedge between the factions.

• Hostage says:

West Virginia and Virgina parted ways as a result of a bloody civil war. They reconciled their differences without sacrificing their separate systems of government. Hamas and Fatah may end up reaching a similar accommodation.

The urgent problem right now is the lack of statehood, not the number of states or cantons that result from an end to the foreign incursions and occupation.

It would have been an undisputed violation of the territorial integrity norm in the UN Charter for India to have attacked either East Pakistan or West Pakistan after they became UN member states. By way of comparision: Israel has objected to Palestine’s UN membership or its acceptance of ICC jurisdiction on the grounds that it isn’t yet a state (regardless of the fact that more than 120 countries have recognized it as such). Israel is employing that ambiguity to commit crimes against Palestinian communities that would otherwise be prohibited if they were committed against the communities of another state. I don’t really believe that Hamas objects to Fatah attempts to rectify that particular situation.

Historically speaking, Palestine’s enemies either treat Palestinians as inanimate objects that can only be acted upon by an outside force or sovereignty, or worse still, as a homogenous mass that can’t take any legitimate action on the local, tribal, or clan level without unanimous consent from Palestinians everywhere. If we don’t insist that our own governments operate that way, why should they?

33. PilgrimSoul says:

Rarely have I felt such pleasure from reading a new writer, and rarely have I seen a world unknown to me, and yet so oddly recognizable.

Your evocation of the German Jewish experience, and your sense of a magical Galilee that somehow welcomed it, was powerful. What a dream of justice, if Palestinians could somehow capture it, and make that world live again, in a new way that only Palestinians can imagine!

So welcome to these electronic pages. You will find appreciative readers here, I think, avid to experience your thoughts, memories and hopes.

In the meantime, the nervous, bullying tone of certain comments tell me all I need to know about Zionism. Kos also has that same tone when he justifies his crackdown, interestingly. All that suppressed guilt, edgy self-justification, and posturing as a tough guy. But it all comes back to the same thing, we need to talk about what the state of Israel is doing to all of us, to the Christians, to the organized Jewish community, to the US, and most of all to the Palestinians.

And you Simone, you are a big part of it already. Welcome.