Paul Ryan said to be meeting with Adelson

Video 15 0 00 01 08
Sheldon Adelson

“Paul Ryan heading to Vegas on Tuesday, will be at Sheldon Adelson’s Venetian resort, per Nevada source,” CNN’s Peter Hamby reports. And this is from the Las Vegas Review-Journal:

Ryan, a congressman from Wisconsin, will attend a private fundraising event at The Venetian, which is owned by Sheldon Adelson. The Sands Corp. chief is a generous GOP donor who already has contributed $10 million to a political action committee, Restore Our Future, supporting Romney’s campaign.

Oh and here’s something about Ryan’s intellectual idol, Ayn Rand. She said Arabs were savages and culturally undeveloped.

Ayn Rand on Israel (Ford Hall Forum lecture, 1974)

Q: What should the United Sates do about the [1973] Arab-Israeli War?

AR: Give all the help possible to Israel. Consider what is at stake. It is not the moral duty of any country to send men to die helping another country. The help Israel needs is technology and military weapons—and they need them desperately. Why should we help Israel? Israel is fighting not just the Arabs but Soviet Russia, who is sending the Arabs armaments. Russia is after control of the Mediterranean and oil. Further, why are the Arabs against Israel? (This is the main reason I support Israel.)

The Arabs are one of the least developed cultures. They are typically nomads. Their culture is primitive, and they resent Israel because it’s the sole beachhead of modern science and civilization on their continent. When you have civilized men fighting savages, you support the civilized men, no matter who they are. Israel is a mixed economy inclined toward socialism. But when it comes to the power of the mind—the development of industry in that wasted desert continent—versus savages who don’t want to use their minds, then if one cares about the future of civilization, don’t wait for the government to do something. Give whatever you can. This is the first time I’ve contributed to a public cause: helping Israel in an emergency.

Posted in Israel/Palestine

{ 50 comments... read them below or add one }

1. Citizen says:

Here’s Ayn Rand, a rich Jewish immigrant from Communist Russia, telling Phil Donahue, in 1979, that the Arabs are savages because they indulge in terrorism against innocent civilians, just as if no Jews did that to found the state of Israel and also became the leaders of the new Jewish state: link to youtube.com

Note, at first Rand dismissed Palestinians as a sub-species of humans because they did not produce high technology.

Why did Phil Donahue vanish from prime TV when he had a large audience? Anybody have the scoop?

• Donahue vanished because he was anti war,they didn’t want him during our invasion of iraq. at first i thought it was vietnam but then i checked. wrong decade..

Donahue was the highest rated show on MSNBC at the time it was canceled, managing to beat out Chris Matthews’ “Hardball” in the ratings.[8] Soon after the show’s cancellation AllYourTV.com reported it had received a copy of an internal NBC memo that stated Donahue should be fired because he would be a “difficult public face for NBC in a time of war”.

link to en.wikipedia.org

• Hello Citizen,
      Question-
      Can a Jew ever stop being a Jew? Ayn Rand declared herself an atheist.

Technical point regarding your description of her- why is it necessary to mention that she was a rich Jewish immigrant from Communist Russia? Wouldn’t it suffice to call her a Jewish immigrant from Russia? Just trying to enlighten us about her assets or is it that the phrase “rich Jew” just rolls off your fingers so easily?

• If one can’t mention rich jews in this context, yonah, perhaps you can explain the context in which you feel that the phrase “rich jew” is permissable. Perhaps you feel one should never mention that an individual is Jewish and rich?

VP candidate Ryan is off to solicit funds from Adelson, a “rich jew” who undoubtedly doesn’t care for Arabs. Why shouldn’t it mentioned that Ryan is an advocate of a philosophy expoused by another rich jew who didn’t like Arabs? If the phrase “rich jew” can not be used in this context, jonah, you must feel that it never can be.

• upsidedownism- I hear you. But nonetheless…

Adelson is a rich Jew and since he is using his money to influence politics, his money is relevant. In fact one of the first things one would say about him is that he is rich. Ayn Rand was a philosopher and writer of note. Those are the primary facts relevant about her. Since her philosophy was that of individualism and opposed to communitarianism (unsure if that is a real word since it elicits a red underline, I mean a concern for the general population sufficient to overcome the concerns for limitations on the individual) then in fact her wealth has some relevance, for her wealth and her philosophy complement each other.

I am sure (?) you are aware of the der Sturmer, the Nazi newspaper of note and its caricatures of Jews: rich, fat and with thick lips. What if I wrote, Sheldon Adelson, a rich fat Jew with thick lips, do you think that would be anodyne as well? Probably not. No, the fact that he is fat would be adding on to the stereotype needlessly. (In fact his lips are not particularly thick.)

Ayn Rand’s wealth is relevant to her philosophy and thus it has some relevance and so including it has some relevance. Are you sure that is why Citizen used this phrase? I tend to view his statements with an extra dose of skepticism. If you had used the phrase and explained the usage I would not necessarily have viewed the phrase with the same skepticism. I suppose this is a type of commenter profiling.

• Theo says:

yonah

We first must ask: who or what is a jew?

We know what christians or moslems are, people who believe in that religion, however come from many different nations and nationalities and usually beside their religion have nothing in common.
        If they are non-believers and leave the church they are not christians or moslems anymore.

Now, what about jews? We can agree on the fact that there is no such thing as a jewish nation, jews come from many parts of this world, mostly converted at some time of their history. A few lately, most a long time ago.
        Using the same principe and to try to answer your question, when a jew is non-believer and does not belong to the judaic religion, is he really a jew? If you say yes, then you must also convince us why is he a jew even if he comes from a family that converted to judaism and have absolutly no semitic roots.

• Theo- I agree to the fact that the modern definition of nation does not fit the Jewish collective (or uncollected collective) of today. I am an Ashkenazi Jew and proud of my Ashkenazi Jewish heritage (although not necessarily proud of my light skin color which increases my odds of skin cancer. But I am lighter skinned than 91 out of 100 Ashkenazi Jews.) 200 years ago, the definition of the Ashkenazi Jews as a collective of some nature other than a mere religious grouping was more relevant than it is today, particularly given the fact that most Ashkenazi Jews lived in a single area under a single Czar and thus were in fact unified by language (Yiddish) and political circumstance. Obviously (?) there were others: Hungarian Jews, German Jews and others on the European (nonTurkey controlled)part of Europe whose language and political circumstance did not resemble that of the vast majority of Ashkenazi Jews who spoke Yiddish and were under the Czar’s cruel and oppressive domain. With the great migration out of the Czar’s domain which began in 1881 with the pogroms of that year, the collective became less of a collective- Jews heading to various destinations: foremost US, but also other places. Also one should note that many of those Jews began tossing off the yoke of their strict religion, but at the same time continued to call themselves Jews and many over the next 36 years (until 1917) followed to attempt to move out of the Czar’s domain but felt a need or a desire to maintain a connection to the religious grouping that they were leaving, that is: did not in fact wish to toss away the Jewish connection, whatever anthropological or political validity scientists might have attributed to their desire. But I accept the fact that whatever degree of peoplehood existed in 1881 was diluted when the collective began to disperse.

I am not a student of political science or specifically the science of nations and this was why (combined with his general sneering attitude, more apparent in his interviews than in the book itself) I couldn’t digest Shlomo Sands’ book on the myth of the Jewish people, because I am unfamiliar with the scientific definitions of nationhood.

I must add that having been raised Orthodox my view is shaped by the Halacha, which considers the Jews to be an “am” and a “goy” (which literally means a nation, though its current usage indicates nonJew) and which considers Jewish anyone who was born to a Jewish mother, despite whatever phase of belief or disbelief they currently find themselves. I accept that “am” and “goy” are not scientific terms, and Halacha is relevant but not the only factor that I would consider, but I must add that this preexisting point of view, before I myself threw off the yoke of most of the commandments, still forms the prejudices of my evolving view.

But my question was posed specifically to Citizen. I wonder whether he agrees with your definition and the way you pose the question.

• Mooser says:

The Jews are “a collective” yonah? A freakin “collective”. Well listen here, Commie-boy, I ain’t being part of no Communist collective. I have a religion (such as it is) and I’ve got a heritage (what I’ve got of it) but neither I, nor any American Jew I’ve ever known (admittedly, the kind of people you know would be the kind I would run from) considers themselves part of a Communist “collective”.

Gee, and I wonder who considers themselves the commissar of the collective, the political officer, the cadre.
          Well, that does it yonah, that tears it. So basically, Zionism is communism and racism combined. Not, I must say, a very attractive proposition, lefty-boy.

• Mooser says:

“I must add that having been raised Orthodox my view is shaped by the”

Ah, the old ‘blame it on the Jews’ schtick. Just what I thought. Won’t take responsibility for his own mind.

• Mooser says:

“my light skin color which increases my odds of skin cancer.”

Oh crap, I’ve done it again! What’s wrong with me. Here we have a man, threatened with, hell, certain to get a life-destroying disease, and I’m giving him a hard time. My God, how can I be so cruel. And he’s a martyr to his white skin, too He’s dying for our sins! What a cross he has to bear! It’s like Jesus is right there in front of me, and I can’t see Him.

Good lord, what a self-pitying psychological wreck this guy is (or portays himself as, for some reason). Get’s up every day and looks at his alabaster titties gleaming in the mirror, and says ‘Privileged, feh. If only they knew how I suffer from this skin.’

• Mooser says:

“But I am lighter skinned than 91 out of 100 Ashkenazi Jews.)”

Try going out in the sun. What are you afraid of?

“before I myself threw off the yoke of most of the commandments, still forms the prejudices of my evolving view.

Yup, threw off the commandments (does he think it’s all a yoke, or something?) but kept the prejudices. Okay, at least he’s honest about that

• Theo says:

yonah

If you have such a light skin, there was a slav or finn, or someone similar in the bush when your father went to work!!
          Or your grandfather, or grand-grandfather.
          No wonder that according to judaic laws jewishness is inherited from the mother, never from the father, because you always know who the mother is.
          On the other hand, what if your jewish forfather married or inpregnated one of those lovely russian beauties? Would you be still a jew?
          Boy, I am glad that I do not have to put up with all that sh.t.

• MRW says:

• American says:

@yonah, the loss of her father’s wealth at the hands of the Bolsheviks (twice) formed her POV. She grew up with nannys and nurses and lost all that.”

Same as what propelled the Cuban exile community. I got a look at it thru a Cuban schoolmate who was eaten up over his family losing their privilage status lifestyle in Cuba and couldn’t or didn’t want to be in a society that wasn’t servile toward them…and from being around it a bit visit in Miami in the 60 and 70′s.
          The Cuban exile lobby was never about democratic ‘freedom’ for the Cuban people, just the opposite, it was about getting the US to overthrow Castro so “they” could get back their privileged position and lifestyle.
          I read their CANF plan once for organizing Cuba ‘after’ Castro was outed….everything was to be divided up among the returning exiles…and they would form the government without elections and the peasants would be returned to being peasants…the same 1% feudal system it was.
          Yea they actually wanted the US to attack Cuba just so they could be in
          the 1% again.
          Reminds me of the Zionistas who won’t come out and say what they really want is to be the 1% and have the world be servile toward them..but that is what they want….what they mean by ‘security’.

• marc b. says:

yohan, he didn’t write ‘rich jew’. (nowhere in his comment do the words ‘rich’ and ‘jew’ meet. nowhere.) it didn’t ‘roll off’ his fingertips, it rolled off yours. funny how you’re implying that citizen is an anti-semite while intentionally misquoting what he wrote. and you damn well know the difference between the two usages, i.e. a rich jewish person, and a ‘rich jew’.

and re: rand (a disgusting piece of work in any denomination) maybe you should read (or pay attention to) the claims on ‘jewishness’ written here by commenters who self-identify as jewish, and who insist that atheism, or agnosticism, or religious indifference and jewish identity are completely compatible. perhaps with your infinite wisdom you could break the bad news to them that they aren’t really jewish afterall. just be gentle. they might not take the news that well.

• Citizen says:

@ yonah fredman

From what I’ve learned from some of the many Jews I’ve known over the years, and from my reading, both in college and on my own, and from this blog, anybody born a Jew–traditionally, having a biological mother who was Jewish, at least at the time of birth–remains a Jew no matter if he or she is also an atheist or agnostic. But if a Jew converts to another religion he or she is no longer a Jew. My own view is any individual human can identify or not with anything or any concept in any religion, culture, or ethnic background, more or less. This goes to one’s priorities on any issue or problem, etc. But a human cannot ever stop being a human–again, more or less–see Maslow’s triangle.

Please reread my full comment again, and watch and listen to Rand in the linked video initially referenced there. My description of Ayn Rand was in that full context.

I assumed the reader would know about her philosophy; basically she thought selfishness was a virtue, and altruism was a vice. In pop American terms, she favored unbridled capitalism over communism and hefty socialism. Felt that the state should not intrude and the individual is to pull herself up by her own bootstraps. But she grew up in a socio-economically privileged home and also got a state-provided university education–she was one of the first class of women to attend and graduate after the red revolution. In other words, like many staunch GOP capitalists in the USA today, such as Ryan and especially Mitt, she was born on third base and though she hit a home run. Her philosophy is insensitive to those born not only without bootstraps, but too often even without boots.

• MRW says:

There’s even worse background info on Ayn Rand. Mark Ames, of eXiled fame (my savior magazine during the Kosovo War that I was so against*) is cross-posted at nakedcapitalism.com and alternet.com, but is easier to read on the original site.

Do not miss this article, and the title is not hyperbole:
      “Paul Ryan’s Guru Ayn Rand Worshipped a Serial Killer Who Kidnapped and Dismembered Little Girls”
      link to exiledonline.com

It’s longish, but jeezuss, you gotta read it, especially the serial killer part. Johann Hari had previously done a similar piece (a couple of years ago). Ayn Rand was seriously disturbed. I never knew this stuff before.
      ____________________

* OT: Brigadier-General Pierre Marie Gallois made a ‘death-bed confession’ of his personal involvement in Germany’s campaign starting in 1976, 1977 to dismember Yugoslavia as soon as Tito died. Tito died in 1980. Germany wanted to punish Serbia for supporting the Allies in WWII and diverting two divisions that it claims caused it to lose to Russia during WWII. Gallois says the campaign planned disinformation about rapes, massacres to get public support, the Markale Market massacre was fabricated, and the Rambouillet Agreement staged. He names names. Two parts.
      Part 1

Part 2

• marc b. says:

mrw, i had read about the rand-hickman alliance before. pretty bizarre stuff. reminds me of bernadine dohrn and her ‘year of the fork’ obscenity. at least dohrn, or her husband, supposedly backtracked on the love affair with manson.

• chinese box says:

She was also wacked out on speed half the time, staying up for days on end writing her books…I’m sure a lot of crazy stuff went on.

Re: her statements on Israel….silly me, I thought Objectivism might entail objectivity.

• marc b. says:

apparently a small cult had congealed around her, many members vying for her sexual attention. go figure. ‘sex and drugs and . . .’ reactively tied to the dirty hippy type, but part of the formula that launched many ‘great’ thinkers. freud was on a multi-year coke binge when he wrote ‘die traumdeteung’ (yes, a universally applicable method for ‘interpretation’ arising out of a drug addict’s dreams. no problem there.) he and his colleague, wilhelm fliess, treated all manner of illness, mental and physiological, with massive, debilitating doses of cocaine administered to the sinuses. (fliess believed that the nose was the most important ‘organ’ in the body resulting in his – i shit you not – theory of ‘nasal neuroses’, disturbances of the nose being responsible for all manner of dysfunction. he also believed that men and women were subject to physical regulation through a sort of biorhythmic numerology, men being subject to a 23-day ‘period’ and women to 28. fixation on the nose and numerology, the stuff of science.) and if you read freud’s case study of ‘dora’, you also encounter the same sort of bitchy, manipulative, subjective treatment of relationships that you find amongst the randites as they orbited that dim star. (freud concluded that the teenaged ‘dora’, who was serially accosted by a middle-aged family friend, was guilty of dishonesty when she described the advances as painfully unwanted, freud’s interpretation being, more or less, that she should be flattered and that she really wanted his affections, she was just incapable of acknowledging her sexual attraction to the geezer. a kind of 19th-century version of the ‘bitch wanted it’ argument. what a creep.)

• Keith says:

MRW- The dismemberment of the former Yugoslavia was facilitated by the most shameful and effective propaganda campaign I had ever seen as the Serbian anti-Nazi resistance was portrayed as the new Nazis, and the Nazi collaborator Croats and Bosnian Muslims became freedom fighters. The deception continues and is now the accepted version of events.

• ToivoS says:

Keith and MRW Thanks for bringing up that shameful period that dismembered the former Yugoslavia. The propaganda campaign was ferocious. What is so ironic about that campaign is that it started in the US. As Yugoslavia teetered on the edge the Canadian and US Croatian ex-patriot community bankrolled a professional PR campaign against the evil Serbs. The idiot Milosovic did not realize at the time that the future of his nation was being decided inside the Beltway.

The irony comes down to the fact that those Croatian communities in the West that bankrolled this campaign were descended from a few hundred thousand Croatian “refugees” from WWII who came to America. What is conveniently forgotten is that these refugees were part of the Croatian fascist movement that collaborated with the Nazi conquest. In fact it was these Croatian fascists that ran one of the larger Nazi concentration camps in S. Eastern Europe — those camps exterminated many 100s of thousands of Serbs as well as many 10 of thousands of Jews.

• marc b. says:

since you’re focusing on nazis and fascists, toivo, we can’t leave out the 4th reich foreign policies of the federal republic of germany. it was germany’s recognition of the ‘independence’ of slovenia (and its strong arm tactics against france to bring it into the ‘recognition’ fold) that was the initiating force behind the break up.

• ToivoS says:

I read that Ames article. That was one chilling story. What struck me was that he quotes from Rand’s diary on the personality traits that attracted her to the serial killer — it was basically a very clear description of a sociopath. This was written before the modern clinical definition of sociopath (= psychopath) . Ames further points out that she uses these personality traits to describe her hero in Fountainhead. Though by that time she had come to realize that honoring serial killers would not advance her “philosophy” so she turned him into a serial terrorist bomber.

2. Kathleen says:

Ryan will be dividing the Catholic vote. Many voted for Obama

3. marc b. says:

off to vegas, huh? my advice to ryan is to refrain from soliciting any prostitutes, legal or otherwise. not that sheldon would have knowledge of such things. gambling and prostitution are like oil and water. apples and oranges. and both are legal in [parts of NV] anyway, so presumably a bit of recreation for ryan is not something he would have to defend, according to the likes of fredrickblogosphere. waking up from a drug-induced nap, covered in the hooker’s blood, now that might be a bit more problematic. that’s how it happens sometimes. (‘what happens in vegas, stays in vegas’). in the movies anyhow.

• MRW says:

Prostitution in illegal in Clark Country, which Las Vegas is a part of. You know that Vegas is a Mormon creation, don’t you, that Bugsy Siegal approached when he wanted to develop it. The Mormon Elders said sure, c’mon in, our people don’t engage in gambling, prostitution, or drinking, so we don’t care. Just tithe 10% of your earnings to the church and we will pave your way. The rest is history. And Vegas was a Jewish, not an Italian, Mafia town until the Feds took over.

• marc b. says:

There was this kid I grew up with; he was younger than me. Sorta looked up to me, you know. We did our first work together, worked our way out of the street. Things were good, we made the most of it. During Prohibition, we ran molasses into Canada… made a fortune, your father, too. As much as anyone, I loved him and trusted him. Later on he had an idea to build a city out of a desert stop-over for GI’s on the way to the West Coast. That kid’s name was Moe Greene, and the city he invented was Las Vegas. This was a great man, a man of vision and guts. And there isn’t even a plaque, or a signpost or a statue of him in that town! Someone put a bullet through his eye. No one knows who gave the order. When I heard it, I wasn’t angry; I knew Moe, I knew he was head-strong, talking loud, saying stupid things. So when he turned up dead, I let it go. And I said to myself, this is the business we’ve chosen; I didn’t ask who gave the order, because it had nothing to do with business!

4. Romney, Ryan, and everybody who would deny the power of the Z lobby needs to be asked what they think of this quote, and asked why it is never reported in our media:

“I am not Israeli. The uniform that I wore in the military, unfortunately, was not an Israeli uniform. It was an American uniform, although my wife was in the IDF and one of my daughters was in the IDF … our two little boys, one of whom will be bar mitzvahed tomorrow, hopefully he’ll come back– his hobby is shooting – and he’ll come back and be a sniper for the IDF,” Adelson said at the event.
    link to electronicintifada.net

An unoccupied country would make such information readily available to the public. Why doesn’t Obama play this card? Occupation.

5. Theo says:

“Arabs are the least developed cultures…”

Someone must be very ignorant of history to say such a stupid statement!
    All you have to do is visit Al Hambra in Spain, or Cordova. Those palasts were built 1,400 years ago with gardens and fountains, and you can see similar splendor in many places in North Africa.
    In those arab kingdoms jews and moslems, including the christians, lived in peace together and they were the center of science during the time when Europe went through the darkness of Middle Ages. Mathematic, astronomy, medicine was triving and many books were written on those subjects, in arabic. Do not forget, even today we use arabic numbers.
    When the spanish conquered those kingdoms and drove the jews and arabs out the iberian peninsula, it was a step backwards several centuries. All those precious books were either burned by the church or were brought to Rome to vanish in the vaults of the Vatican, because it could not be that “savages” were intelligenter and smarter than christians.
    This is just one example of many centers of arab culture, such as Damascus, Aleppo, (the oldest city in existance), Baghdad, Timbuktu, etc., etc.

• MRW says:

Every doctor uses surgical tools today invented by the Islamic Arabs 1,000 years ago, and the Islamic Arabs invented the optics science 1,000 years ago that Leonardo da Vinci used, and is inside our cameras today. Their maritime science was lightyears ahead of western civilization. The arc of knowledge from Cordoba to Baghdad was far more significant than anything north of them. And they invented universities (although there is an old one in India that has fallen to ruin). The Indians were no slouches either.

• RoHa says:

“the Islamic Arabs invented the optics science 1,000 years ago”

Ibn Al Haytham is the big name here. Lord Monkton always refers to him as the founder of the scientific method, and that is not a bad description. Most aspects of scientific method were known and employed long before Ibn Al Haytham, but he explicitly described and formalized it.

• RoHa says:

“Do not forget, even today we use arabic numbers.”

The Arabs got the numbers from India.

“All those precious books were either burned by the church or were brought to Rome to vanish in the vaults of the Vatican, because it could not be that “savages” were intelligenter and smarter than christians.”

Not entirely true. Late Mediaeval scholars had great respect for Islamic learning. If you look through Mediaeval literature you will see constant references to them. (Their names are frequently Latinized. Ibn Sina becomes Avicenna, Ibn Rushd becomes Averroes, etc.) Arabic words were cheerfully adopted for technical purposes in astronomy, chemistry, mathematics, and other sciences. Thomas Aquinas, for example, learned to understand Aristotelean philosophy from the works of Ibn Rushd, and always referred to Aristotle as “The Philosopher” and Ibn Rushd as “The Commentator”. He also acknowledges his debt to Al Ghazali.

Late Mediaeval European scholars paid more attention to Islamic learning than much of the contemporary Islamic world did. The Islamic world declined into religious obscurantism, and the Europeans gained ascendancy in science.

(The causes for the decline are much debated. Al Ghazali’s sceptical fideism is frequently blamed, but I think the Mongol destruction of the cities, the Black Death – which was even more devastating in Asia and the Middle East than it was in Europe – and the Turkish invasions were more important. Later, European rivalry with Turkey also played a role. )

In the Renaissance the main emphasis shifted away from Mediaeval thought and concentrated on rediscovering the Graeco-Latin tradition. This, combined with the rivalry with Turkey, led to a downplaying of the Islamic intellectual achievements.

But most of those achievements were long ago. The Arab world needs new achievements.

• Theo says:

“The arabs got the numbers from India”.

That may be true or not, however all over the world I know they are called arabic numbers.

• RoHa says:

The Indian number system – including the all-important zero – was adopted by the Arabs, and then spread to Europe. That is why the Europeans call them “Arabic numbers”. European influence spread them to the rest of the world, with that name.

• lysias says:

And one would expect an educated Jew to be aware of Moorish Spain.

Considering that she devoted so much attention to Aristotle both as a student at Petrograd State University and later in life, she must have been aware of the Moorish role in the transmission of Aristotle’s works to the West.

6. American says:

There are 34.5 million of Irish ancestry in the US. About the same number of Scottish.
    If we ever have a war in the US I’m joining the tribes with best whisky.

7. RoHa says:

“Ryan’s intellectual idol, Ayn Rand.”

Intellectual? Ayn Rand?

When I started teaching in the US I was surprised to find books by Rand in the Philosophy section of bookstores. I was even more surprised to find that many Americans take her seriously. Most of the world has never heard of her.