Video: Romney (in ’07) on how the second coming will save the Jews

I don’t think we’re going to have Mitt Romney to kick around for very much longer, so here’s a last shot: a weirdly defensive rant from 2007, by Mitt Romney about Mormonism. He’s asked at :44 or so about the second coming of Christ. Is it in Jerusalem or Missouri? Romney:

The second coming, the arrival of Jesus Christ, our church says is in Jerusalem… That’s the church doctrine… Christ appears in Jerusalem, splits the Mount of Olives, to stop the war that’s coming in to kill all the Jews. Our church believes that, that’s where the coming and glory of Christ occurs.

After that Christ will reign from two places, Jerusalem and Missouri for 1000 years. Writes a friend: “It helped offer a certain clarity on the whole Christian Zionism thing and made me even more frightened about the possibility that this guy could win.”

Posted in Israel/Palestine

{ 12 comments... read them below or add one }

1. Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

2. A new Mondoweiss comment rule says, it’s not allowed to …
    -”pillory Jewish culture and religion as the driving factors in Israeli and US policy.”
    ———————-
    Well, but it seems to be allowed to pillory the Mormon religion as a possible driving factor in Romney’s Israel policy.

3. So, let me get this straight: it’s now the policy of this blog that we can’t criticize the Jewish religion or Jewish identity politics but we can go ahead and trash Mormon religion and eschatology?

4. pabelmont says:

Without any desire to pillory anyone: Missouri? why not? The man claims to know what his church teaches and no doubt he does.

That being settled, what does he believe his church’s teachings direct anyone (or any Mormon) to do?About Jerusalem? About Jews? About Jesus? etc.?

Has he said?

5. Interesting to see him with his back up, defending the strength of his religious convictions, and the articles of faith of the Mormons, to what appears to be a skeptical evangelical Christian audience.

He’s proven over and over that he will say whatever he feels his audience wants to hear him say.

In the end, however, I cast my vote against Sheldon Adelson. I think Romney would trigger greater enthusiasm among Republican business owners in hiring, which could be a self-fulfilling prophesy on the economy. But the prospect of Sheldon Adelson owning both the President and the Israeli Prime Minister is too much.

6. Inanna says:

How is that any more insane than any other religious belief?

7. YoungMassJew says:

If Romney wins tonight that means we go to war with Iran. It’s really going to be close. I’m freaking out. Dick and Jane are not going to make the distinction between regular Jews and the one’s at the top that are beating the drum to send the 98% to go die for the Israeli pariah state. A lot of mumbling under peoples breaths about Jews, the Rothschilds and the Federal Reserve, and Israel lately. Just the other day I noticed a group of working class men in the 60s while I was getting coffee at a local chain going on and on about some Jewish guy and his support for Israel. I couldn’t make out all the details, but he didn’t seem like the type to make the dictinction between different types of Jews. People on Facebook talk about “liking” the awkward moment when Hitler received his gas bill, referring to NYC as a “Jew-Haven.” It’s going to get ugly. I’m deeply worried and I know MRW agrees with me on this as he/she has talked about this concern in previous posts.

8. YoungMassJew says:

I should have said instead of mumbling under breath, saying these things out in the open.However, a kid at my first semester in college mumbled under his breath during a bio 101 lab class a few seats away from me because I “looked Jewish” about “Einsteins[the bagel company but not really] in the Oven.” Just saying.

• YMJ –
      I read your comments and the hair-raisng ‘jokes’ you relate. I somehow feel responsible. But maybe it’s just the fascination with the outrageous and a taboo. There always has been a fascination with satanic cults among youth, too.

9. RoHa says:

“Christ will reign from two places, Jerusalem and Missouri”

Whereabouts in Missouri? It might be a good idea to buy some land near Jesus’ future capital. I expect it will be a worthwhile investment.

• seafoid says:

Missouri is as credible as Jerusalem TBH.

Jerusalem would have been far better off being nowheresville. It would have saved so much trouble.

10. Citizen says:

Mitt’s held the position like a bishop in his church. Thank god he went down in flames overnight thanks to 80% of all non-whites voting for Obama, along with 55% of white women, especially single women.