A defense of ‘Separate but Equal’ from 1950 and today

Reader JH sends along:

Story of the Good White Southerner
(circa 1950)

I am a good White person. I believe in a separate but equal society. My red line is the separate part, because those agitating to allow Coloreds to eat in the same restaurant and ride in the same part of the bus with Whites know that this will eventually lead to social mixing and then race mixing, which is miscegenation and illegal. We must stay separate. Those others are just calling for White racial suicide by another name and they know it.

But because I am good and moral, and I am in fact a devout Christian person, I am working as hard as I know how to achieve equality as soon as humanly possible. I know that some Whites profess belief in a separate but equal society, but then secretly try to undermine it. That is not who I am.

Some may try to call me a White supremacist and prejudiced, but that is very hurtful to me and I deeply resent it, because in my heart I know that I am a truly moral person. About the only thing I can think of to say to bigoted name-calling people like that is, well, they must really hate White people.

Story of the Good Liberal Zionist
(circa 2013)

I am a good liberal Zionist. I believe in a Jewish and Democratic Israel. My red line is the Jewish part, because those agitating to allow Arabs to return to their homes know that this will eventually lead to the end of Jewish self-determination and then minority status. We must stay separate. Those others are just calling for Jewish national suicide by another name and they know it.

But because I am good and moral, and I am in fact a dedicated Liberal person, I am working as hard as I know how to achieve Israeli democracy as soon as humanly possible. I know that some Liberal Zionists profess a belief in a Jewish and Democratic state, but then secretly try to undermine it. That is not who I am.

Some may try to call me a Jewish supremacist and a believer in apartheid, but that is very hurtful to me and I deeply resent it, because in my heart I know that I am a truly liberal person. About the only thing I can think of to say to bigoted name-calling people like that is, well, they must be Anti-Semites.

About Adam Horowitz

Adam Horowitz is Co-Editor of Mondoweiss.net.
Posted in Israel/Palestine, US Politics

{ 13 comments... read them below or add one }

1. this is truly excellent!

the only thing i would change is the word ‘believer’ in the last paragraph. i would change it to ‘supporter of apartheid’, because liberal zionists do not believe israel is an apartheid state. i don’t think people are calling liberal zionists ‘believers’ in aparthied, but i know what the writer is saying. and i do think liberal zionists are supporting apartheid, especially in their denial.

2. American says:

As Southern White familiar with that ‘moral’ person’s –separate but equal belief — I say the comparison is perfect.

3. “I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed by the white moderate,” he wrote in his Letter from Birmingham Jail. “I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block is not the White Citizen’s Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to ‘order’ than to justice, who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice, who constantly says ‘I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can’t agree with your methods of direct action,’ who paternalistically believes that he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom.” ~ MLK

4. ckg says:

It is also instructive to read historical defenses of South African and Rhodesia, such as this one: A. L. Geyer: The Case for Apartheid, 1953
    link to fordham.edu and this one John Ray: Rhodesia: In Defense of Mr. Smith, 1973 link to jonjayray.tripod.com — The hasbara talking points are evident.

5. American says:

A perfect example of a liberal Zionist, Beinart…and why a liberal Zionist is just a plain old zionist. ..with all the hypocrisies about Jewsih rights vr Palestine rights on display.

Why Liberal Zionists Won’t Join BDS
    by Peter Beinart Feb 12, 2013
    link to thedailybeast.com

I’ve started reading more of open Zion’s articles, I already know their basic positions on Israel, but I am fascinated by all the small ways their racism comes thru. For example when writing about the Brooklyn BDS flap, even when correcting the story that Jewish student were “thrown” out ….they still, still had to blow it by describing the ‘ugly’ signs the Muslim student were carrying…while describing the Jewish students disruption as ‘polite”. It’ always a word here and description there that shows their core zionist mentality. Just like in the above article where Beinart describes Hamas and Abbas positions in ‘evil’ terms——but describes Israel’s ‘transgression’ in terms of the political and needs.

• seanmcbride says:

American,

Being a little bit ethnic nationalist is like being a little bit pregnant — once you are in a bit, you are in whole hog.

Looking forward, liberal Zionists will be facing a world of grief as they try to straddle two political philosophies that are miles apart — radically in contradiction, in fact. They need to get their heads straight on these matters and figure out why their mental wires are so tangled and dysfunctional.

I attribute most of their problems to childhood ideological indoctrination that they are not strong enough to shake off.

6. American says:

Max totally nails the liberal zionist mo and agenda on BDS and the Brooklyn fight.

link to electronicintifada.net

7. seafoid says:

Look at what happened to African Americans in general since 1950. Mass incarceration . Still the poorest race.
    How to make sure the Palestinians do better ?

8. Nevada Ned says:

Many of the commentators here are talking about a hypothetical white southerner.

In actual fact, in the pre-civil rights era, white southerners would make no bones about it, saying things like:

God created the US as a white man’s country. It’s the way it is because that’s the way God wanted it.

And white southerners would cite passages in the Bible – something about separating sheep from goats – to “prove” that the Jim Crow system of racial segregation was God’s will.

It was not just uneducated southern whites who supported the racist Jim Crow system. It was highly educated and influential people too.

For example…
    James L. Kilpatrick, a young newspaper editor in Virginia, wrote about a book (c. 1962) entitled The Southern Case for Segregation. Kirkpatrick went on to enjoy a very long and successful career as a conservative pundit.

Want another example? William F. Buckley’s National Review openly opposed the civil rights movement of the 1950′s and 1960′s. When Buckley died, many of his ideological opponents said nice things about him. (One who didn’t was Alexander Cockburn. Thank goodness for acid-tongued Alex!) Buckley wasn’t even a southerner.

• seanmcbride says:

Nevada Ned,

Confederate and Zionist values

Southern Confederate culture is, essentially, Zionist — messianic ethnic nationalist and grounded in Old Testament cultism concerning ethnic supremacism, mystical territorialism, aggressive militarism, etc.

Most leading Christian Zionists have emerged from this culture — this is why they enjoy such warm relations with Jewish Zionists (like Ed Koch and Benjamin Netanyahu) and the Israel lobby. This is all about a shared ideology.

Christian Zionists cite the Old Testament much more often than the New Testament. At the core, their beliefs are radically anti-Christian and even anti-American — remember, these are the kind of reactionary ideologues who triggered the US Civil War and defended slavery on biblical (Old Testament) authority.

See Kevin Phillips’ “American Theocracy” for an in-depth exploration of this topic:

c[BOOK AUTHOR Kevin Phillips TITLE American Theocracy: The Peril and Politics of Radical Religion, Oil, and Borrowed Money in the 21st Century DATE 2007 PUBLISHER Penguin Books AMAZON link to amazon.com ]

Phillips has this cultural and political phenomenon figured out and nailed down good and proper.

The Confederate spirit is back with a vengeance — and it is being egged on and manipulated by the Israeli government and Northern Jewish neoconservatives with fancy Ivy League degrees.

9. THEN:
    “The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, physically, and socially” ~ Robert E. Lee, 1856

“South Africa has achieved for its nonwhite people the best education and the highest standard of living among all the blacks of Africa” ~ James Kilpatrick, 1971

NOW:
    “The only place in the Middle East where Christians aren’t endangered but flourishing is Israel” ~ Michael Oren (Israeli ambassador to the USA), March 2012

“The Arabs living in that land right now under Israeli control have a better quality of life. They’re freer, more prosperous than in any other Arab country” ~ Joe Walsh (US House of Representatives), September 2011

“Of the 300 million Arabs in the Middle East and North Africa, only Israel’s Arab citizens enjoy real democratic rights. I want you to stop for a second and think about that. Of those 300 million Arabs, less than one-half of one-percent are truly free, and they’re all citizens of Israel!” ~ Benjamin Netanyahu (Israeli Prime Minister), May 2011

MORAL:
    If you want to know what the slaves think, DON’T ask the slave-owners …ask the slaves!