Leading American writer Abulhawa is denied entry to Palestine

Susan Abulhawa, the renowned Palestinian American novelist and political commentator, was denied entry to Palestine yesterday at the Allenby Bridge entry from Jordan. Her wrath is on full display:

Imagine being there, as Israeli peons denied this queen of Palestinian story her rightful entry to her homeland:

Her: Why are you here?
Me: visiting family, friends and opening ceremonies for playgrounds.
Her: where is your family?
Me: Jerusalem
Her: what is the relation?
Me: cousin
Her: (clearly agitated with me) no aunts uncles?
Me: no
Her: where are you staying in Jerusalem?
Me: my cousin
Her: what is his name?
Me: (gave his name)
Her: other cousins.
Me: you want the names of all my cousins?
Her: yes
Me: there’s hundreds of them. It’s a big family. I don’t get what you’re asking.
Her:(slams her hand down on desk) who are you staying with?
Me: My cousin Adel, whose name and number I just gave you, along with every other official who asked.
Her: (now very angry) I am asking the questions.
Me: …
Her: (slams hand again on table) who else lives with your cousin?

…………

So I just screamed at them. Thieves, occupiers I called them. You wish you had the same roots as I do, I screamed. You should be the one to leave, not me. I’m a daughter of this land. Then they took me to my luggage and sent me in the bus. I regret walking and not making them carry me.

And what were her plans in Palestine? To “build two more playgrounds, visit new sites, hang with family and friends.”

This is just a heads up. We’ve got to assume Abulhawa will write about it herself, if not in real time perhaps in a future novel. There’s more on her twitter feed. American citizenship is effectively worthless for Palestinians:

Abulhawa relates that the US Embassy in Amman is not doing anything for her, and she politely suggests that friends apply pressure.

US Embassy in Amman would not even let me in the door. Nor would they even take my name or allow me to lodge a complaint at reception. At a minimum these representatives of the US State Dept should be compiling statistics on the systematic humiliations and denial of entry to US citizens. Israel is the biggest recipient of US handouts in the world. I was told told that another person in front of me “a real American” according to the receptionist, who was denied entry at the Jisr [bridge], and as far as I can tell, they didn’t take his information either. If any of you are inclined, please write/call or tweet to the embassy. http://jordan.usembassy.gov/contact.html

What a disgrace!!!

Recently Abulhawa has been coursing through my bloodstream on a daily basis — because I’m smack dab in the middle of The Blue Between Sky and Water (and yes I will be reviewing it here). Anyone who’s ever come in contact with Susie knows what a passionate person she is, leaving no stone unturned, her lyrical incisiveness swoons and slays. Calculating, breathtaking in her depictions of violence and cruelty, her novels take a reader on a roller coaster of beauty and devastation. Not a person I’d want to piss off, that’s for sure.

About Annie Robbins

Annie Robbins is Editor at Large for Mondoweiss, a mother, a human rights activist and a ceramic artist. She lives in the SF bay area. Follow her on Twitter @anniefofani

1. just
    July 30, 2015, 3:49 pm

The US State Department and its embassies in Israel, and now Jordan, NEVER do anything to come to the aid of any US citizen that is victimized, terrorized, imprisoned, or denied free passage to their homeland or even to visit.

It is a disgrace. They should shutter the embassies since it is clear that they only serve Israel. At the very least, fly the flag of Israel over them and be honest. Take the US flag and turn it upside down and place it well beneath the blue and white one.

Thanks, Annie. Am I correct in understanding that 2 different women named Susan were denied entrance to their homeland yesterday?

• Annie Robbins
      July 30, 2015, 4:30 pm

just, Susan Atiyeh is abulhawa’s FB name, i would assume. it says “Yardley, Pennsylvania” which is where she lives. this is her tweet linking to the FB page above:

she was traveling with another woman who did get in. her name is Stephanie Sena and she’s a professor at Villanova University in Pennsylvania.

July 30, 2015, 4:34 pm

Thanks! I thought so last night, but then I got confused by a post by someone here.

It’s an infuriating and crying shame and stain on the US that this is tolerated.

• Annie Robbins
        July 30, 2015, 4:37 pm

my pleasure. i just updated that comment above btw, for more clarity.

and thanks for all your help. you, bumblebye and jennie

• Steve Grover
      July 30, 2015, 9:25 pm

Just,

• Annie Robbins
        July 30, 2015, 9:34 pm

that won’t happen. jerusalem isn’t recognized by our government (or any others) as being legally inside israel — because it was illegally annexed.

July 30, 2015, 9:48 pm

“Arrived in Israel yesterday. Spending the day at the beach in Netanya! It’s gonna be a beautiful day!”

Super for you. May I suggest the Dead Sea and some mud tomorrow with these guys and goys? Give them a jingle!

“Sheldon Adelson bankrolls NBA player trip to Israel to fight BDS” – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2015/07/sheldon-adelson-bankrolls#sthash.8lw4W7Cu.dpuf

Frolic away, dude!

“They should move the embassy out of Tel-Aviv to Jerusalem where the government of Israel is and keep a Counselor General in Tel-Aviv.”

Nope. No more Zio- mission creep.

P.S. It’s spelled ‘Consular’. Cheers.

Ta- ta!

• Steve Grover
        July 30, 2015, 10:20 pm

Just,
        I apologize for misspelling consular. I would love to meet up with the NBA guys and tell them how great it is to see them here. Anyway, I’m spending this Shabbat in Qiryat Tivon. Then it is off to Eilat for SCUBA diving and the following Shabbat in Jerusalem and finally 3 days in Tel-Aviv. Don’t think I’m going to be at the Dead Sea this time. I’ll be back in October for the Alyn Bike Ride.

• Qualtrough
        July 30, 2015, 11:01 pm

Steve Grover – I doubt it is permitted in these pages, but I would like to go on record as saying that my immediate reaction on reading your response was, “What an a**hole!”

• chocopie
        July 31, 2015, 12:02 am

Nice of them to let you in. Don’t do anything radical like donating playground equipment to children or you just might not be allowed in next time. As long as you’re content just frolicking on the beach the overlords will love ya.

• bryan
        July 31, 2015, 5:15 am

Steve I hope you have a beautiful day frolicking on the beach, but do be warned there are some crazy religious fanatics out there who will happily (and repeatedly) go on a stabbing spree against those they think are frolicking without sufficient restraint. See http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/30/up-to-six-stabbed-at-gay-pride-march-in-jerusalem

• amigo
        July 31, 2015, 5:33 am

Grover the rover, When Israel goes down and it will , you will be the first one that comes to mind.Your triumphalism will be turned into screams of Jew hatred and you will die a sorry sad miserable person , knowing that every post you made here was all in vain.And there will be no Dead sea visits for you or frolicking on the beach in what used to be “the zionist entity”.Enjoy your moment in the sun fella.Dark clouds are rolling in for you and your fellow zios.You will be part of a pariah group that will find no welcome anywhere.

• amigo
        July 31, 2015, 5:47 am

“Arrived in Israel yesterday. Spending the day at the beach in Netanya! It’s gonna be a beautiful day – ” grover

“Palestinian Infant Burned to Death in West Bank Arson; IDF Blame Jewish Terror’

Settlers reportedly started fire after throwing firebombs into West Bank house; Hebrew graffiti was found at the scene, reading ‘revenge’ and ‘long live the Messiah.’
        read more: http://www.haaretz.com/beta/1.668871

Don,t forget to pop along and give a high five to those heroes mentioned above who get their enjoyment burning babies.Unless you would care to redeem yourself somewhat by condemning these terroist b—–ds.

We will await your crocodile tears.

• Danaa
        July 31, 2015, 4:59 pm

Jerusalem is not israel’s capital and East Jerusalem is not part of israel, including that silly old wall some people worship so. Why would any civilized country keep an embassy in such a place? Visiting an embassy in the center of the Jewish Daesh zealots-land is kind of like going with the now notorious Palmer the evil dentist and cowardly Cecil the lion’s killer on an outing to the local zoo, along with his bow and arrows that he keeps pointing at the panda bears.

• jon s
        August 1, 2015, 4:01 pm

Steve Grover,
        Normally, I would say “welcome, have a good time”, but it looks like you happened to have picked some really hard days: the knife attack on the gay pride event in Jerusalem, the horrific murder through arson of a Palestinian child , with the rest of his family severely burned (and we’re praying for their recovery)…unhappy days.

• Kris
        August 1, 2015, 4:47 pm

@jon s: “the horrific murder through arson of a Palestinian child , with the rest of his family severely burned (and we’re praying for their recovery) -”

What kind of “recovery” do you suppose there can be? Their baby was burned to death, and the mother, father, and “big brother,” Ahmed, age 4, are covered with very severe burns. Here’s a photo of Ahmed in the ICU: http://mondoweiss.net/2015/07/israeli-occupation-inevitable .

Since you are a “teacher,” maybe you could try educating yourself. Look up third and fourth degree burns, and body surface area covered by burns. If this young mother and father and their little boy live, their suffering as they endure burn treatments and try to survive infections, to say nothing of their grief every single moment, will be greater than you can imagine.

If they live long enough to leave the hospital, disfigured and disabled, where will they go? To their burned-out shack? To more attacks and humiliation by Jewish land-thieves, many of them from the U.S., like you? To live in fear of the day that Ahmed is taken away to be abused or killed by the IDF or the Jewish squatters?

• echinococcus
        August 1, 2015, 5:43 pm

… the horrific murder…

What’s so “horrific”, John S? That’s just one fewer Arab on the Promised Land that belong all to you guys; one family out of the game, in fact, one step further on the way to the complete cleansing of Palestine from the people who inhabit ans own it. Performed by your brothers (and sisters) who, like you, are illegally squatting in Palestine. I’m not saying you were personally among those who personally committed the deed, as I was not watching.
        Now go and have a good bottle to celebrate.

• Steve Grover
        August 2, 2015, 10:19 am

Jon says:
        “Normally, I would say “welcome, have a good time””
        I’m not gonna let scumbag murdering arsonists ruin the excellent time I am having in Israel. It is really great to be here and screw the nay sayers.

August 2, 2015, 3:49 pm

Those rose- colored shades really do the trick, don’t they?

I guess you missed the Pride parade and Yishai Schlissel’s command performance and encore, too.

• diasp0ra
        August 3, 2015, 11:59 am

• Steve Grover
        August 3, 2015, 2:26 pm

Diasp0ra:
        “Do you ever think about the millions in refugee camps living in squalor so that you can enjoy your day at a beach in Netanya? Or does it never cross your mind?”
        Not for a second! They live in squalor because Arafat walked away from the deal and the 2 intifadas ensued so there is no sympathy for the squalor.
        From the moment I first heard about the BDS movement, I have been taking my family to Israel for our summer vacation. We haven’t missed a year comming here since 2006. I even pay extra to fly here on El Al.

• Kris
        August 3, 2015, 6:55 pm

Steve Grover, thanks for your comments. I appreciate them because most of the rest of the commenters here, even some of the Zionists, try at least to pretend to have some sense of humanity.

But your comments are probably more in line with the true attitudes of Zionists in general, and Jewish “settlers” in particular. You remind us of how easy it is for human beings to embrace cruelty.

August 3, 2015, 11:35 pm

Well said, Kris.

Just think~ an entire family in rose- colored glasses, brimming with pride at the Occupation and with complete disregard for the people that they trample on. But they shell out extra bucks for El Al to show solidarity with the apartheid state that’s imploding all by itself.

Lovely, isn’t it?

August 4, 2015, 4:10 pm

“Steve Grover, thanks for your comments.”

Dipsomania can effect people of any stripe. Methinks Steverino’s brain is somewhat, well, high in relative humidity. I can’t find any other way to account for it.

• Steve Grover
        August 4, 2015, 6:14 pm

@mooser,
        It seems like my wife, my kids and myself are the only Americans in the resort where we are staying in Eilat. The majority are from Ireland. There are a also people from Norway, Sweden, Scotland and Hungary too. Maybe a few will join me in having a GoldStar or a Macabee. And we’ll all raise our glasses to your health.

• italian ex-pat
        August 4, 2015, 7:16 pm

Steve Grover

I apologize right now if I’m wrong, but I’ve got to tell ya, I get a sense that your posts are just a bunch of made-up stuff, part fantasy and part cheap thrill of irritating the s–t out of MW regular posters.
        Why do I think so? Well, just one example: your comment shows as being posted July 30, 9:25 PM. If that’s US Eastern time, that would make it around 4:30 AM (July 31) in Israel, awfully early to be up and at the computer. No jet lag? You must be really anxious to get to that beach.

August 4, 2015, 7:30 pm

Or maybe Grover is an exponent of a new kind of Zionist propaganda called- Chutzbara.

• zaid
        August 5, 2015, 12:04 am

italian ex pat,

Give him a break please.

the Ayatollah just said that israel is the Satan and chanted death israel, and what how did the world respond………….they passed a UNSCR unanimously (15-0) in support of the deal.

He just found out that no one in this planet cares about his Israel

2. chocopie
    July 30, 2015, 4:02 pm

“You wish you had the same roots as I do…” Brilliant insight and exactly right. Ethnic jealousy. Yes, the State Department should keep statistics on Americans who are denied entry to Israel and the Israeli-occupied areas. I didn’t realize they aren’t doing it.

My Palestinian daughter has been able to get in twice, both times by being evasive, traveling with a group, choosing the entry point (place and time) carefully, and through other strategies. I’m sure her luck won’t hold forever. This is not fair, and she should be evaluated as any other American would be, not based on where her grandparents were born. Her interrogations have been time-consuming (on the order of six hours), emotionally draining, and abusive.

Each trip of course strengthens the intensity of her connection to Palestine and that’s why the Zionists try to keep Palestinians out. But they don’t seem to realize that, interestingly, denying entry has the same effect.

July 30, 2015, 4:46 pm

+1, chocopie!

• Bornajoo
      July 31, 2015, 6:57 am

Don,t forget to pop along and give a high five to those heroes mentioned above who get their enjoyment burning babies.Unless you would care to redeem yourself somewhat by condemning these terrorist b—–ds.

We will await your crocodile tears.”

Well said Amigo. + 1

I’d better not comment, it won’t pass moderation. In the wrong mood

• amigo
        July 31, 2015, 7:41 am

“I’d better not comment, it won’t pass moderation. In the wrong mood ” Bornajoo.

Yes , I know, you are not going to dignify his diatribe with your anger and quite rightly so.

So sit back and relax for ten minutes and contemplate the direction grover,s and Israel,s future is heading.Then have at him.

Is this a bank holiday on your side of the pond.If so enjoy.

• jon s
      August 2, 2015, 10:04 am

Kris,
      I’m very much aware of the effects of extensive burns. That doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t hope and pray for their recovery. (Also: I don’t think that they lived in a “hut”).

• Kris
        August 2, 2015, 12:05 pm

jon s: “Also: I don’t think that they lived in a “hut”. echinicoccus, your comment is so out of whack with everything I stand for that I can hardly figure how to reply.”

Shack, hut, or whatever, it is unlivable now. Ahmad, 4, is reported to be showing some signs of improvement, though his parents are still in critical condition.

How does echinococcus’s comment mischaracterize what you stand for? You are a U.S. Jew who is contributing to the dispossession of the Palestinians by choosing to live on stolen land and to support Israel.

But back to Ahmad, who is four years old. Has Israel brought any of his relatives to be with him, all alone in a frightening burn unit?

What about the Jewish Israeli hospital staff treating him? What percentage of them are likely to see him as a “demographic threat” or a “little snake?”

Discharge planning starts at admission. If Ahmad leaves the hospital alive, is Israel going to provide all the physical therapy and reconstructive surgeries he may need? Will he be constantly humiliated at checkpoints as he tries to get to those appointments? Will he receive disability support and counseling? Israel just bulldozed the home of Nureddin Amro, https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/israel-wrecked-my-home-now-it-wants-my-land/2015/07/31/79808fca-36cf-11e5-9d0f-7865a67390ee_story.html
        who runs a school for Palestinian children with handicaps. Mr. Amro is blind, by the way, as is his brother, who also lived in the house, along with their families and elderly mother. What help can we expect for Ahmad?

What do you suppose the plan is, Jon? Maybe warm-hearted Israeli Jews like you should be demanding some answers, starting with making sure Ahmad has his relatives at his bedside for as long as he’s there.

• justicewillprevail
        August 2, 2015, 12:58 pm

Thanks for the link to the Nureddin Amro story, Kris. Another shameful and vile addition to the catalogue of Israeli crimes against humanity. Blind men who are doing good work – such a threat to the fabric of the Jewish state that they must be punished, humiliated and made homeless, having committed the crime of owning and living in their house long before the new Jewish colonisers were even born. Are you praying for them too, Jon s, and the tens of thousands of others made homeless, attacked, killed and imprisoned without trial? Or do you prefer to remain silent, look the other way, and profess your selective sympathy for the headline cases?

August 2, 2015, 6:24 pm

” your comment is so out of whack with everything I stand for that I can hardly figure how to reply.”

“Jon s” it doesn’t matter what you stand for when you sit still for everything. Until, of course, things don’t go your way and you beat feet back to the US, having destroyed Israel.

August 3, 2015, 11:09 am

“Until, of course, things don’t go your way and you beat feet back to the US, having destroyed Israel.”

Just like you run away from every challenge here. So tell us “Jon s”, what is ‘everything you stand for’?

I know, “Jon s”, you don’t want to set the world on fire, you just want to start a flame in their huts.

• jon s
      August 5, 2015, 12:49 am

Steve Grover,
      “Maybe a few will join me in having a GoldStar or a Macabee. ”

Whoa, I wouldn’t mention the two in the same breath. Goldstar is a great basic beer (despite their misogynist commercials), while Maccabee has an unpleasant aftertaste, and I recommend avoiding it.
      Of course different people have different tastes.

3. shalom
    July 30, 2015, 4:08 pm

Susan, Susan Susan. In so many ways your continuing story, your life and your words sum up all that is wrong with the relationship between Palestinians and Israelis. You are a threat on so many levels to things as they are in Jerusalem and the West Bank. You carry a chip that has been/is being hammered into you day after day, week after week and year after year as it is hammered into your people in Susya and on the streets of Jerusalem and so very many other places. And yet you build another playground and write another book and continue to speak a truth that challenges the powers that be and insure that you will have a rough ride no matter where your heart leads you. ShalomSalaamPeace, Larry Snider

July 30, 2015, 4:45 pm

+1, shalom!

What a beautiful comment. ;-)

• gamal
      July 30, 2015, 7:23 pm

That’s beautiful Larry

• jon s
      August 3, 2015, 3:10 pm

Kris,
      In answer to your questions:

4 year old Ahmad Dawabshe, and his mother, are surrounded by their relatives. See here:

• Kris
        August 3, 2015, 6:05 pm

@jon s: “In answer to your questions:”

The link you provide is to a story in Hebrew, which I don’t read. I hope you are right, though, and that the family is there with the boy and his mother.

@jon s: “In Israeli hospitals patients are in general treated equally, whatever their nationality, religion, political persuasion, etc. And the staff doesn’t consist only of Jewish -Israelis.”

Ethiopian Jews are not treated “equally” in Israeli hospitals, so I’m not sure about Palestinians. Maybe the publicity surrounding this case will help protect Ahmad and his parents.

What about my other questions? If Palestinians leave the hospital alive, does Israel provide comprehensive medical/rehab/physical therapy/psychological follow-up care and disability support for Palestinian victims of Jewish violence?

4. Susie Kneedler
    July 30, 2015, 4:14 pm

Thanks for All, Annie: Dizzyingly Foul. Susan Abulhawa is a giant Thinker, Artist, Historian—-though of course this injustice shouldn’t happen to Anyone. I’m off to write the Embassy and State Dept.

(And, Hi just: By “2 different women named Susan,” did you mean, “Susan Atiyeh”? That’s Susie Abylhawa’s Facebook page. Thanks for all you do,,,)

July 30, 2015, 4:22 pm

Thanks, Susie~ likewise!

• Susie Kneedler
        July 30, 2015, 4:32 pm

:~), just!

And, O, my: Abulhawa. Nothing like zipping a typo into the name of someone I revere!

• jon s
      August 4, 2015, 3:33 pm

Kris,
      I’m not an official spokesperson, but based on the reactions to this outrage, and on precedents, Israel will provide long-term care.
      If it works out, I may pay a visit to Mr. Dawabshe in the hospital tomorrow.

• Bumblebye
        August 4, 2015, 7:15 pm

I consider the thought of you visiting quite simply appalling. Someone who always comes down on the side of his extremist murderous government (after varied pretensions of liberality) visiting one of its victims (and despite the political posturing, those lunatics have had nothing but support from the Israeli govt, which makes the Dawabshe’s Israels victims) at death’s door. That’s pornographic.

August 4, 2015, 7:38 pm

I have to agree with you, Bumblebye. The idea is rather evocative of Netanyahu’s ‘visit’. That is unless you’ve had a major revelation, jon s.

Alternatively, you could always start a rebuilding/rehab fund for destroyed homes and survivors’ lives/bodies that Israelis are fully responsible for, jon s. You could start the fundraiser at your school and make sure that you get the parents involved. You could also petition the town of Beersheva (iirc) to name a street after little Ali Saad Dawabsha.

• justicewillprevail
        August 4, 2015, 8:08 pm

If you can’t see the gross insensitivity of your grandstanding and the inappropriate nature of inviting yourself without approval then you are beyond any redemption.

5. Kay24
    July 30, 2015, 4:39 pm

It seems Nutty Netty is pleased that Americans are drinking zio koolaid:

“Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says Americans are turning against President Obama’s nuclear deal with Iran after learning its details.

“This deal, the more you learn about it, the opposition to it increases,” he said during a conference with diplomatic correspondents in Jerusalem, according to Haaretz. “As people know more about it, they become more opposed to it.

“This is also true about the American public,” he added. “The debate in the U.S. is important, and you can see the shift.”

• jon s
      August 5, 2015, 7:58 am

I’ve posted an account of our visit on the “Mother of Palestinian Baby…” thread.

6. German Lefty
    July 30, 2015, 5:46 pm

“there’s hundreds of [cousins]”

Seriously? I have five.

“You wish you had the same roots as I do, I screamed.”

Just because the Zionists insult you, doesn’t mean you should insult them. Don’t stoop to their level. Hold their crimes against them but NOT their origin.

Imagine I tell a German citizen of Turkish origin: “You wish you had the same roots as I do. I’m a daughter of this land and you should leave.”

• Annie Robbins
      July 30, 2015, 6:57 pm

5? oh please.

inappropriate and nonsensical

spare us.

• justicewillprevail
      July 30, 2015, 7:08 pm

Palestinians must suffer daily humiliation and denial of the right to visit their homeland and relatives by being nice and polite. Yes, that will make a difference to the border guards. Not. You are also unaware of the nature of extended families in cultures other than your own. Dispensing faux moralising from your comfy armchair is so generous of you. It has escaped your notice that a German citizen of Turkish origin has the same rights as any other German citizen – there is no comparison to the Palestinian situation, unless you reconstruct your analogy so the German Turkish person has kicked you out of your home, denied you basic human rights and refuses to let you enter the country to visit your relatives. Ethnicity is not the issue.

• German Lefty
        July 31, 2015, 3:19 am

So, when a German citizen of Turkish origin commits a crime against me, then I can hold his Turkish roots against him!? Like Susan did!? Good to know.
        I agree with you that “ethnicity is not the issue”. Denial of equal rights is the issue. That’s precisely why it’s inappropriate to hold the Zionist’s roots against him.

• justicewillprevail
        July 31, 2015, 5:56 am

She is not holding the border guard’s roots against her, but angrily and justifiably pointing out the hypocrisy of being denied entry because of her roots.
        In your tortuous analogy, the crime committed against you would be because of your roots and nothing else. Even you might find that hypocritical as a German with German family being denied the right to enter the country and visit them, by someone who has immigrated and is a recent citizen, while your family have been there for centuries. The border guards are making it about ‘roots’, not Susan.

• amigo
      July 31, 2015, 5:21 am

“You wish you had the same roots as I do, I screamed.”

I find this statement inappropriate and nonsensical. It’s very ethnic nationalism.”GL

She was simply telling this johnny come lately and a tool of the occupying force , who is denying her entry to “her ” homeland ,that her roots in “Palestine” only go back to 1948 or later , whereas Susan,s roots are most likely centuries old .No ethnic nationalism involved under the circumstances and to describe it as nonsensical is –well , nonsense.

Put yourself in Susan,s shoes and see if you would be the very soul of diplomacy.

• Shmuel
      July 31, 2015, 5:47 am

You wish you had the same roots as I do

GL,

You are confusing ordinary immigration with myth-based settler-colonialism. A German of Turkish heritage is simply a German (whether German-born or naturalised) — no better or worse than Germans of other backgrounds.

Zionism, since its inception, has argued that Jewish immigration to Palestine is a form of “return”, “reclaiming” a historical legacy. The flaws in that argument are obvious, even to those who believe it. In that sense, there has always been an element of envy of the land’s indigenous inhabitants. Susan Abulhawa’s shouted “dig” was thus a truth, and a painful one, at that (as I assume she intended it).

I would add that Jewish-Israeli hysteria over any form of Palestinian return (even for a brief visit; even for the purposes of family reunification) is influenced by this inferiority complex. The context of a settler-colonialist lording it over a Palestinian seeking entry into Palestine was really begging for this kind of response.

• German Lefty
        July 31, 2015, 7:35 am

“A German of Turkish heritage is simply a German (whether German-born or naturalised) — no better or worse than Germans of other backgrounds.”

Exactly. That’s civic nationalism. The ethnic background is irrelevant. By the same logic, a Jewish Israeli has as much right to live in Israel as a Palestinian. That’s why it’s not okay when Susan tells the Jewish Israeli to leave because she lacks Palestinian roots. It’s tantamount to me telling a Turkish German to leave because he lacks German roots.

That Jewish Israelis deny Palestinians equal rights is a different issue.

What I am trying to say is that I don’t want Jewish ethnic nationalism to be replaced by Palestinian ethnic nationalism. There must be civic nationalism. Palestinians and (Israeli) Jews need to accept each other as equal citizens. Of course, the Zionist law of return for Jews must be abolished. However, those Jews who have already immigrated to Israel should become equal citizens of reunited Palestine. They should NOT be kicked out due to lack of Palestinian roots, because that would be ethnic nationalism.

“The flaws in that argument are obvious, even to those who believe it. In that sense, there has always been an element of envy of the land’s indigenous inhabitants.”

Are you sure that the flaws in that argument are obvious to Zionists? My perception is that mainly only the Zionist elite knows about these flaws. The average Zionist, however, is only a Zionist because he fell for Zionist propaganda and honestly believes that Jewish immigration to Palestine is a form of return. That’s why I don’t think that many Zionists are envious of Palestinians.

• Shmuel
        July 31, 2015, 8:49 am

Are you sure that the flaws in that argument are obvious to Zionists?

On some level, I believe that all Zionists get that ‘we stepped out for some smokes a couple of thousand years ago, but now we’re back’ is not a valid argument. That is why they try to shore it up with eschatological prayers, feelings, fantasies and something they call “continuous presence” — as if the presence of a few hundred or thousand Jews in Palestine, over the millennia, somehow “kept our place” (as if it were like being in line at the post office or something) for all that time. None of these arguments, in and of itself, is considered sufficient, and they don’t do much better together — even if you really really want to believe them. People can convince themselves of just about anything, but that doesn’t mean they don’t harbour doubts.

Palestinians, on the other, don’t have such problems. They don’t need to prove anything — to themselves or to anyone else. Their connection to the land is self-evident. Again, even if you go the Joan Peters ‘they’re all recent immigrants’ route (another excuse to cover up what is, in effect, a winning argument, no matter how ardent a Zionist you are), the Palestinians are to be envied at least that.

• MHughes976
        July 31, 2015, 9:04 am

I too don’t want to replace one form of ethnic nationalism or racism with another but I think that Susan’s implication – that there is something not only objectively wrong with the situation but also (somehow) subjectively on the conscience of the interrogator and exposed by consideration of who has ‘roots’ in what soil – was fully justified. The bluster and bravado of some, like Mr. Shavit’s ‘standing with the damned’, is scar tissue over a troubled conscience. (Were the interrogator’s thick layers of makeup an admission that she knows there’s something wrong when she looks at her own naked face?)
        Sovereign states have the legal right to exclude people but it would still be morally wrong to exclude people on the ground that they were, say, Jewish. What’s happening here I think is that someone well known as a writer was kept out because negative reports would have resulted from her visit. She’s been limited to writing about her own ill-treatment and that is not as powerful as writing about the ill-treatment of others. Sovereign exclusion of people on the ground that they will say bad things about you is morally very questionable, like exclusion on grounds of race, and is itself the sign of a wounded conscience. Goading and provoking people into being rude and uncooperative so as to have an excuse to exclude them is also a mean and miserable thing.
        If Germans had been treated like Palestinians by Turks and you were trying to get in and being fairly firmly humiliated then you would not do wrong by exaggerating the number of your cousins. I have only three. Mind you, if you start counting second cousins numbers can escalate.

July 31, 2015, 9:10 am

“On some level, I believe that all Zionists get that ‘we stepped out for some smokes a couple of thousand years ago, but now we’re back’ is not a valid argument. That is why they try to shore it up with eschatological prayers, feelings, fantasies and something they call “continuous presence” — as if the presence of a few hundred or thousand Jews in Palestine, over the millennia, somehow “kept our place” (as if it were like being in line at the post office or something) for all that time. ”

+1, Shmuel!

Your entire comment is appreciated. It’s always good to have you here ;-)

• Bumblebye
        July 31, 2015, 10:39 am

German Lefty, I think you need reminding where these bloody “border” guards operate – this was at the Allenby Bridge. Know where that is! ‘Cos it sure as hell aint in “Israel” on any legitimate map! It’s in Palestine! WTF are Israeli guards doing preventing visitors from entering a country in which they themselves are not legitimate either as visitors or shtetlers? Allenby should be controlled by Palestinian border guards!

• German Lefty
        July 31, 2015, 12:32 pm

@ Bumblebye

“this was at the Allenby Bridge. Know where that is! ‘Cos it sure as hell aint in “Israel” on any legitimate map! It’s in Palestine!”

Please don’t be upset. I know where the Allenby Bridge is. I use the terms “(Greater) Israel” and “Palestine” synonymously because it’s one big Apartheid state. The Zionist regime occupies all of historic Palestine and determines who is allowed to enter and leave. The Green Line doesn’t mean much anymore.

“WTF are Israeli guards doing preventing visitors from entering a country in which they themselves are not legitimate either as visitors or shtetlers?”

The West Bank is not a state. It’s a ghetto within Greater Israel. And if you want to enter occupied land, then you need to be friendly to the occupiers, whether you like it or not. Grin and bear it or don’t bother trying to enter in the first place. In that situation, you need to decide what’s more important to you: getting inside or speaking your mind to the Israeli guard.

• German Lefty
        July 31, 2015, 3:56 pm

@ Shmuel

“I believe that all Zionists get that ‘we stepped out for some smokes a couple of thousand years ago, but now we’re back’ is not a valid argument.”

So, what you are saying is that deep down inside (almost) all Zionists realise that they aren’t the indigenous people but they aren’t willing to admit it to themselves and to non-Jews!? That may well be. However, as I can’t read the Zionists’ minds, I am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that most of them are honestly deluded and victims of the elite’s propaganda.
        Apparently, Zionists believe that Jewish Palestinians were the only Palestinians.

“Palestinians don’t have such problems. They don’t need to prove anything — to themselves or to anyone else. Their connection to the land is self-evident.”

I disagree with that. In Germany, we have this saying: “Recht haben und Recht bekommen sind zwei verschiedene Dinge.” (Being in the right and winning the case are two different things. In other words: Being right is not enough to win a court case.)
        If the Palestinians’ connection to their land were self-evident, then why do Western politicians still support the Zionist regime? Yes, Palestinians are in the right. However, they need to prove it and actively fight Zionist propaganda in order to actually get their land and their rights back. The truth is useless when nobody is willing to believe it. Palestinians have the truth, but the Zionists have the money to fund their propaganda machine. Maybe it’s because I am a pessimist, but I think that money is more powerful than the truth. Therefore, I can’t imagine how anyone could possibly be envious of Palestinians.

August 1, 2015, 12:59 pm

“Maybe it’s because I am a pessimist, but I think that money is more powerful than the truth. Therefore, I can’t imagine how anyone could possibly be envious of Palestinians.”

Gosh, believing that and being a “Lefty” must make things pretty painful for you. I’m sorry to hear it.

Almost afraid to ask if under that money-truth-envy formula I should be envious of the Zionists? So I won’t.

7. German Lefty
    July 30, 2015, 5:58 pm

I don’t even want to try to enter Israel. I know that it would be an unsuccessful attempt. I am such a bad liar. I would not be able to hide my anti-Zionism and that’s why they would deport me.

• Djinn
      July 31, 2015, 11:58 am

Susan probably didn’t want to enter Israel either. She crossed the border at Allenby which is not in Israel and was heading to Jerusalem, the best bits of which are not in Israel.

8. justicewillprevail
    July 30, 2015, 6:54 pm

Where do those teenage jerks in uniforms learn to be so offensive and assume the jackboot powers they have no right to? Where do they learn to disrespect people older and with far more status and rights than they have? Who tells them and teaches them you can treat Palestinians with such contempt and vile cruelty? I don’t believe any such behaviour comes naturally to anybody, yet these people are steeped in it, as if they have been conditioned all of their lives to cover their sense of guilt and inferiority with such brutal behaviour, sanctioned by their superiors who teach them that the routine humiliation and crushing of the dignity of any Palestinian is what is expected of them. And what gives israel any right whatsoever to police a Palestinian border, unless it is in co-operation with Palestinian border control? If that is the border maybe they should ‘fess up and admit the annexation of Palestine, which will entail granting them equal rights and the vote. What a bunch of lying little tinpot tyros. The only threat Susan Abulhawa poses to them is a superior intellect, eloquence and a deep connection to the culture of the land they occupy and thus are desperate to deny. Such is the banality of evil.

• Annie Robbins
      July 30, 2015, 7:01 pm

lying little tinpot tyros

exactly!

• Bumblebye
      July 30, 2015, 7:11 pm

Their whole society. Their families. Print and visual media. Their religious leaders. Their teachers. Their schoolbooks. Every government department and institution. And then their recruiters and boot-camp.
      From daycare onwards.

August 3, 2015, 11:12 am

When the Southern US had Jim Crow laws, many, many people, from bus drivers to movie-theater managers, were empowered to enforce those laws.

• for-peace
      July 31, 2015, 6:08 am

This documentary “Defamation” by Yoav Shamir ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_xGBU0ljUY ) offers some valuable insight taken in its entirety. I learned of this documentary from one of the comments on this website and watched it with great interest. Especially the last ten minutes culminate in a very concrete demonstration of how a visit to Auschwitz and reflections on the Holocaust, which ordinarily might be expected to be a very solemn experience, can be manipulated into a very traumatizing transformation of targeted teenagers into an agitated, aggressive state. They exit in need of some closure and are presented loose references that, now it is the Palestinians who pose the same danger to them. It is not surprising that many of them end up reflecting the atrocities of the Holocaust on helpless Palestinians who become their subjects by virtue of the occupation. Phil Weiss had explored a similar theme in the article “Forgiving the Anti-Semites” .(http://mondoweiss.net/2015/04/forgiving-anti-semites )

The long standing situation in Israel/Palestine is similar to a Stanford Prisoner Experiment (http://www.prisonexp.org/ ) extended into an absurd duration of 67 years while the original experiment had to be stopped prematurely after one week. One week was enough to expose the darkness in so many of us, waiting dormant to play out under the right circumstances. It is not surprising that 67 years can expose a lot more variety in the darkness of the human soul. I think, much of the pathological behavior in current day I/P has its roots in the extreme pathology of the Holocaust. It may be important to keep in mind and explore this link even if it may not be as central as I perceive.

9. Palikari
    July 30, 2015, 7:19 pm

July 30, 2015, 8:47 pm

You’ve said that before.

“When I said “borders” I meant points of entry (airport, land crossings, etc.). All countries have right to decide who can and can’t enter its territory. In addition, all countries refuse people.” – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/profile/palikari?keyword=entry#sthash.AdPtkY4s.dpuf

Where/when have you been denied entry anywhere and why? I’m really very curious about that.

• Palikari
        July 31, 2015, 7:51 pm

As a Jew, I am banned from Saudi Arabia and some Islamic countries.

I, personally, have never been denied entry anywhere, but many people have. Many Israelis have been denied entry in Europe or America. Thousands of people are being denied entry in every country every day.

• talknic
        July 31, 2015, 9:10 pm

@ Palikari “As a Jew, I am banned from Saudi Arabia and some Islamic countries”

Bullsh*t! Israelis and people, even non-Jewish people, with an Israeli stamp in their pass port are banned .. Your Ziocrap need to conflate Jews with Israelis is noted.

“I, personally, have never been denied entry anywhere, but many people have”

So how do you know you’re banned from Saudi Arabia and other Islamic countries for being Jewish rather than because you’re either Israeli or have an Israeli stamp in your passport?

“Many Israelis have been denied entry in Europe or America”

“Israelis” …. your flip flop Ziopoop conflations are sooooooooo cute. Keep up th’ good work pal

“Israel, as a sovereign state, has right to deny entry to whoever it wants. Period.”

As a sovereign state it must have borders, let’s start with those proclaimed by the Israeli Government in its plea for recognition as effective at 00:01 May 15th 1948 (ME time) and work forward thru to territories LEGALLY acquired since ….

• Kris
        July 31, 2015, 11:06 pm

@Palikari: “Many Israelis have been denied entry in Europe or America.”

I hope this is true. Can you provide any evidence?

July 31, 2015, 11:34 pm

+1, Kris!

Palikari~ please tell us the reason(s) that they were “denied entry” as well!

• Ellen
        July 31, 2015, 11:44 pm

Palikari,

BS. No Jew is denied from the KSA or other states like Qatar for being Jewish. There are Jews working in KSA and Qatar. I know because I live and work with Jews in these States (well, British created states, that is). In fact there are Jews working in critical jobs like health care in these countries.

Point is you are full of it .

Try harder with your propaganda and lies.

PS, if you really believed what you just wrote you might want to think hard about the Zio pablum you have been spoon fed and swallowed from early childhood.

• straightline
        July 31, 2015, 11:56 pm

@Kris @Palikari

It is true that a few – not many – Israelis have been having some trouble entering Europe recently. And for good reason!

• Kris
        August 1, 2015, 2:20 am

straightline, thank you for the link! “Waiting on ICC, Israeli war crimes suspects already fear arrest abroad.” https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/articles/debate/19504-waiting-on-icc-israeli-war-crimes-suspects-already-fear-arrest-abroad

From the article:

Over the last two weeks, two Israeli war crimes suspects entered the UK. One, former Israeli minister Tzipi Livni, received diplomatic immunity in dubious circumstances. A second, former Israeli army chief of staff Shaul Mofaz, visited for just 48 hours and left before the authorities acted.

Too bad Livni and Molaz weren’t arrested and held for trial.

• straightline
        August 1, 2015, 3:21 am

@Kris Agreed, but it is getting harder for the governments of countries like the UK to find loopholes in the law to allow the likes of Livni into the country. Citizens’ groups are becoming stronger and are pushing the governments of Europe. And the more light that is shone on Israeli behaviour the harder it becomes.

It is interesting to watch the grass-roots effort to get Corbyn elected leader of Labour in the UK when everyone in the establishment and MSM was against him a couple of weeks ago. The change in the tenor of, say, The Independent in the last few days is very obvious. Incidentally, Corbyn says that Hamas needs to be included in negotiations about the future of Palestine, and Galloway has said he will rejoin the Labour Party if Corbyn is elected leader.

• justicewillprevail
      July 30, 2015, 9:05 pm

Any country in the world which discriminated against visitors, particularly preventing those visiting indigenous family, on purely ethnic grounds, ignoring their citizenship, would be held up to animosity, ridicule and challenges to their blatant racism. They would be even more isolated and despised if this extended to areas which that country does not even recognise as under its sovereignty, and would be subject to general opprobrium, as well as legal and diplomatic challenges. Which country, other than Israel does this, since you claim it acts just like any other state?

• chocopie
      July 30, 2015, 9:17 pm

Countries that deny entry to people based on their ethnicity, religion, or family origin will come in for some heavy criticism. If you don’t like the criticism, cover your ears/eyes. Anyway, Susan Abulhawa wasn’t trying to enter Israel.

Considering how much people travel these days and how integrated Palestinians and other Arabs are worldwide, Israel sometimes finds itself doing ridiculous things like detaining and questioning Donna Shalala for over two hours when she was on her way OUT of Israel. Haha. She was pretty calm about it, but if she gets treated that way just imagine how it is for the average Arab-American.

• amigo
      July 31, 2015, 5:09 am

“The State of Israel, just like any state in the world, has right to allow or deny entry to whoever it wants. ” palikari

1, State of Israel—-borders please.

2, When Israel is finished p—–g off the rest of the planet all Israeli Jews (unfortunately innocent Jews will suffer) will be denied entry almost everywhere , on the basis that they will be seen as thieves and supporters of colonisation and oppression .

Remember your statement above when you and your fellow zionistas start whining and spouting claims of antisemitism.

Payback is a b—h.

• rosross
      July 31, 2015, 9:17 am

The only legal right it has is to do that on UN mandated borders. It has no other rights since it has no other borders.

However, even if it did have the right, one would expect them to act civilized and courteous and not like a bunch of ignorant, backward, barbaric thugs!

• Djinn
      July 31, 2015, 11:59 am

The state of Israel does not have th right to deny entry to land that is not Israel.

• gaelicgaffer
      August 1, 2015, 4:16 pm

Palikari, the real question here is not whether as a Jew you are denied entry to Saudi Arabia . . .
      but whether as a Jew you are denied entry to Israel.
      If you can look us in the eye and say: i am angry that as a Jew i was denied entry into my home country of Israel, then we may believe you have justification for your opinion.
      Otherwise, you are merely trying to make a vulture into a Thanksgiving meal.

10. talknic
    July 30, 2015, 8:13 pm

@ Palikari “The State of Israel, just like any state in the world, has right to allow or deny entry to whoever it wants”

Again you come out with bullsh*t! By Occupying and financially strangling and preventing by what ever means possible Palestine to decide who it wants to allow entry (and exit), Israel is in fact stopping people from entering Palestine. Israel wasn’t the destination. Jerusalem is not in Israel (UNSC res 476)

Can you name another state in the world who does the same? Go ahead ……. I’ll wait …..

• talknic
      July 30, 2015, 10:56 pm

and wait ………

• Palikari
      July 31, 2015, 7:55 pm

“Jerusalem is not in Israel”

Ahem… Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.

As a Jew, I am banned from Saudi Arabia and some Islamic countries. Thousands of people are being denied entry in every country every day. What’s wrong with that?

July 31, 2015, 8:58 pm

Ahem.

Jerusalem is NOT the capital of Israel.

Period.

• talknic
        July 31, 2015, 9:15 pm

@ Palikari “Ahem… Jerusalem is the capital of Israel”

You’re well aware by now that Israeli is only country in the world with its capital outside its own territory …. UNSC res 476 puts it quite simply.

If you’re not aware by now you’re a moron.

• Kay24
        July 31, 2015, 10:13 pm

It seems you have been told a huge lie. Jerusalem is NOT recognized as Israel’s capital. Only the brainwashed and the delusional think it is, the UN does not, the EU does not, and as for Israel’s sugar daddy:

“United States The United States views as desirable the establishing of an international regime for the city.[50] Its final status must be resolved through negotiations[51] and it does not recognise Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.[5”

It seems most countries do not. Isn’t that enlightening?

11. Mahmoud El-Yousseph
    July 30, 2015, 8:29 pm

Susan Abulhawa is the person responsible for putting smiles on the faces of Palestinian children in 58 Palestinian refugee camps in Palestine and throughout the neighboring Arab countries, through Play Ground for Palestine project. That is the reason the shithole in the Middle East denied Susan permit to enter her homeland in Palestine. No more aid to ISISrael!

12. Mahmoud El-Yousseph
    July 30, 2015, 10:57 pm

I just wonder if Susan Abuelhawa told the Israeli interagators what she told U.S. National Security Advisor, Susan Rice; ” You can kiss my 100% Palestinian a$$!”.

13. Rooster
    July 30, 2015, 11:39 pm

Well, I guess with those tweets, there goes any chance of a University Of Illinois professorship.
    /s

The marginalization of the Palestinian narrative is tragic.

• Annie Robbins
      July 31, 2015, 1:17 am

there goes any chance of a University Of Illinois professorship.

lol! i guess not. their loss tho.

14. Annie Robbins
    July 31, 2015, 2:53 am

i just sent the embassy in amman an email. sheesh! [email protected]

15. Kay24
    July 31, 2015, 6:10 am

The zionist terrorists have gone too far. Are we sending billions of dollars for this? Israel’s front line terrorists keep getting worse, knowing very well they are armed and protected by their ruthless government. Viciousness must be in their DNA.

“Israeli squatter-terrorists kill Palestinian toddler, injure 4 after setting their Home Ablaze”

16. rosross
    July 31, 2015, 9:16 am

Anyone who has spent time in UN mandated Israel or Occupied Palestine knows this is hardly surprising. Sadly, if you want to get in as a Palestinian you have to submit […]. You have to be meek, humble, fully compliant and allow them to trample all over you.

Israeli culture is so debased that they are not simply irrational, they are delusional and dangerously so.

How upsetting though, to have to put up with such backward barbarians at the ‘gate.’

17. Kathleen
    July 31, 2015, 11:41 am

Had a hard time logging in. Did the math problems five times. ?? wondering if others are having a hard time getting on?

• German Lefty
      July 31, 2015, 3:09 pm

I just had to do the math thing once. The message “Prove your humanity.” is kind of funny. I wonder how the Zionist commenters will manage to prove their humanity.

• Kathleen
        August 7, 2015, 1:11 pm

good one

18. dianab
    July 31, 2015, 5:14 pm

Great coverage, Annie!

It’s literally beyond belief that the U.S. tolerates this treatment of U.S. citizens from a country that is allegedly our “ally”. It’s hard for me to decide which country is worse — Israel who commits the behavior or the U.S. who condones it by not calling Israel out on it.

I agree completely with msross who said that “Israeli culture is so debased that they are not simply irrational, they are delusional and dangerously so”.

This REALLY needs to stop.

19. Krendall Mist
    July 31, 2015, 8:05 pm

Observe the lack of commentary on the merits of Susan Abuelhawa’s snarling charge at the Ashkenazi twit that “You should be the one to leave, not me. ”

She’s right, of course. So was Helen Thomas. They should leave.

20. concernedhuman
    August 1, 2015, 1:54 pm

Nothing new, and on that she is not white. This has been going on since israel bombed USS Liberty, israel has some kinda immunity that no country even in Europe can think of, israel can kill Americans and get away with it easily.

America’s support for israeli terrorism will be the cause of down fall of USA

21. just
    August 5, 2015, 1:54 pm

Gideon Levy highlights Susan Abulhawa and George Khoury and Mondoweiss!

Great photo at link.

“Americans Who Aren’t Allowed to Visit Israel

U.S. citizens of Palestinian origin are routinely humiliated upon entry to Israel, yet representatives of their country refuse to come to their aid.

Susan Abulhawa is a successful American writer. Her first novel, “Mornings in Jenin,” was translated into 30 languages and was an international best seller. Her new book, “The Blue Between Sky and Water,” has already been sold for translation into 19 languages, even before publication in the United States next month. Life is smiling on the 45-year-old. There’s only one problem: Her home is in Pennsylvania, but her heart is in Palestine.

Her parents are Jerusalemites from the A-Tur neighborhood of East Jerusalem. They became refugees against their will in 1967, after being barred from returning to their home city. After they separated, their daughter went from place to place – from an orphanage in East Jerusalem to a foster family in South Carolina. A traumatic visit to Jenin after Operation Defensive Shield in 2002 provided the inspiration for her first novel and her political involvement. Abulhawa established a nonprofit, to build playgrounds for children in the occupied territories and Lebanon, and has become an open supporter of the BDS movement. That is her crime.

Last week, she arrived at the Allenby Bridge crossing between Jordan and Israel, en route to see her family in Jerusalem, visit the playgrounds she has built and conduct interviews in honor of the publication of her latest novel. Her U.S. passport was in her pocket. After seven hours of waiting, and an exhausting and humiliating interrogation by six security officials, Abulhawa was expelled in disgrace – allegedly because she hadn’t cooperated with her interrogators.

They asked her invasive questions about her family and the objectives of her visit, until she eventually lost her cool. “You wish you had the same roots as I do,” she shouted. “You should be the one to leave, not me! I’m a daughter of this land.” Nor did she mince her words on Facebook: “Denied entry to my homeland by a bunch of fucking Zionist colonizers who didn’t think I was sufficiently differential. Livid,” she wrote.

The following day, she appealed to the U.S. Embassy in Jordan, in the hope of receiving assistance. The embassy staff didn’t allow her to enter and wouldn’t accept her complaint. It turns out this is business as usual for them. American citizens of Palestinian origin are routinely humiliated upon entry to Israel, and representatives of their country refuse to come to their defense. That, of course, is an issue for the United States to deal with: How is it that a country treats its citizens so rudely and humiliates those holding its passport – and forgives with such ease?

A week earlier, Jerusalem native Dr. George Khoury landed at Ben-Gurion International Airport. Khoury is a professor of languages with a doctorate in theology from Berkeley, a U.S. citizen who decided to travel with a priest, Father Bernard Poggi, on a pilgrimage and family visit. Khoury is 70 and hadn’t visited his homeland in 21 years.

He also thought his U.S. passport would grant him entry into Israel, and he too was mistaken. The security official at Ben-Gurion told him, “This is our Israel, this is for the Jews. No Palestinian should come to Israel.” Khoury tried to explain that he’s American, but there was nobody to talk to. The security official informed him he would be deported to Jordan via the Allenby Bridge. Later, other security officials told him he was being expelled to Italy, where he had departed from.

After a day in detention in appalling conditions, the elderly professor was taken to an aircraft in a police van. When he asked where he was being taken, the policeman replied, “Bogota.” Khoury was alarmed. “Aren’t you Carlos?” asked the policeman on the steps of the plane, on his way to Colombia. … the security forces discovered that George was not exactly Carlos, he was put on another plane.

Now Khoury sits angrily at home in San Francisco, and from there he described his tribulations. He also blames Israel and the United States. “They took something that was supposed to be a vacation, a reconnection with my homeland and old friends, and made it a nightmare from hell,” he wrote on the Mondoweiss website. And you feel a sense of shame in your heart.”

read more: http://www.haaretz.com/beta/.premium-1.669734?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Thank you, Gideon Levy! Hope the State Department and all of Congress is paying attention.

22. MHughes976
    August 9, 2015, 11:36 am

What are the responsibilities of embassies and consulates in respect of citizens denied entry to a foreign country?