Netanyahu’s fancy watch

US Politics

Many people are nostalgic for Israel’s socialist days. I’m not except in this respect: none of those early guys would get caught wearing a $5000 watch. A friend was watching Netanyahu during the Center for American Progress conversation on Tuesday when he sent me a note: “How does a guy with such shiny suits have such fancy watches? Who buys his watches?”

Netanyahu's Panerai

Netanyahu’s Panerai

My friend said it looks like Netanyahu is sporting a Panerai, a Swiss watch, with a black alligator band. A watch maven confirms that’s the case, back in 2012, with this heroic photo of the PM.

Panerai on Netanyahu

Panerai on Netanyahu

I bet it’s a gift. The Panerai Luminor Marina goes for north of $5,000:

Luminor Marina

Luminor Marina

Maybe Netanyahu buys it here? They have a store in the Mamilla mall in Jerusalem, and others in neoliberal hotspots in Israel. Here’s another image my friend sent me of a Panerai– apparently it’s the watch brand of choice of the neoliberal hawks’ crowd. Bill Clinton wears a Panerai, and Bill Clinton fostered the settlement project of the West Bank.

Bill Clinton's Panerai

Bill Clinton’s Panerai

Ehud Barak prefers a Rolex: We did a post about the former defense minister titled, “Barak orders strike on Gaza during ‘Charlie Rose’– and checks what looks like a Rolex.”

And here’s a post we did on Netanyahu’s $1 million Audi, a few years back.

1. tokyobk
    November 13, 2015, 10:47 pm

I wouldn’t doubt all kinds of slushy gifts to Netanyahu– a warmonger and a scumbag.

But a 5k watch, though, fancy by any normal standards, is not so special to fancy watch people.
    5k is the average starting price for high end time piece brands like Muller, Vacheron Constantin Audemars Piguet or Patek Philippe, . And your going to get barebones steel. For mass luxury brands like Cartier or Rolex you get in the game as well, maybe some gold, but nothing too special.

My guess is that he and Clinton think they are being modest by wearing such an easily available and comparatively inexpensive watch.

PS ever see that Rabbi Boteach wears -two- watches?

• Keith
      November 14, 2015, 4:18 pm

TOKYOBK- “PS ever see that Rabbi Boteach wears -two- watches?”

A Rolex for show, a Casio F-28W for accuracy?

2. W.Jones
    November 13, 2015, 10:49 pm

Aw, Come on, Phil. Netanyahu is the “leader of the free world”, and you are worried about him wearing a $5000 alligator watch? He has to deal with topics of global importance, not worry about whether his car costs only a million dollars. This is probably chump change.

FOX NEWS “Who is leader of the Free World: Obama or Netanyahu?”

3. Annie Robbins
    November 13, 2015, 11:03 pm

lol! you crack me up phil.

4. Annie Robbins
    November 13, 2015, 11:11 pm

i thought i’d mention that i had a watch once. i’m not a watch wearer, it’s been decades since i wore one. but mine looked like this: http://www.dexclusive.com/panerai-pam00441-luminor-marina-mens-automatic-watch.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=CPC&gclid=CMCmxe6Dj8kCFU6SfgodcBgMPw

only it costs about $49. not 11k. these panerai watches are just vanity pieces. they don’t look “fancy” (fancy has to have an element of bling about it) they look like ‘i am so rich i can throw money at a name brand’. these just look like what ordinary watches should look like. here’s one for $75, same thing: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-available-Panerai-replica-watch

and check this out http://www.mercerwatch.com/shop/privateer-navy

this company just raised 50k from a kickstarter campaign to make a reasonably priced watch of a similar design.

• Leahj
      November 14, 2015, 3:15 am

Annie, Of course, design isn’t everything though, because appearance & quality aren’t always related. I’m thinking of Sarah Palin, who looks better than she is. And of those genuine $8,000 ‘Hermes’ handbags they sell on the sidewalks of New York for only $70. (That Italian leather feels suspiciously like Chinese plastic.) And of a pretty little sports car I once had. The seller told me it was “used, but cherry”. Right! It chose to spend more time with the mechanic, than with me. And then there’s SPAM, which sorta’ looks like it might be food.

• Annie Robbins
        November 14, 2015, 3:39 am

leah, here’s what bling looks (and sounds) like

• eljay
        November 14, 2015, 7:59 am

|| Annie Robbins: leah, here’s what bling looks (and sounds) like ||

It’s pretty gaudy-looking, but that is one impressive (time)piece of engineering.

• Leahj
      November 14, 2015, 3:28 am

Annie, ” (fancy has to have an element of bling about it)”

Yeah, this doesn’t even have any sequins! :-)

• Leahj
        November 14, 2015, 4:29 am

Annie, I played your video. I wouldn’t turn one down, but there still weren’t any sequins. Or cubic zirconia. Btw, my mother told me that in her day watches had jewels, usually 17, but they were inside, where nobody could even see them. A sort of inner bling, which apparently made them work better.

5. eljay
    November 13, 2015, 11:16 pm

I had a buddy who was into watches. Twenty-some years ago, not long after he got his first full-time job as an electrical engineer, he dropped $2K on an Omega.

A $5K watch for a wealthy man who happens to be the King of all Jews and PM of the world’s only “Jewish State” doesn’t seem unreasonable…

6. Sibiriak
    November 14, 2015, 12:35 am

A few years back there was an amusing watch scandal in Russia.
    ——————-

[2012] On Wednesday watchful online observers noticed a photo on the Church’s official website, in which [Russian Orthodox Church Patriarch] Kirill was shown sitting at a table with a shiny polished surface. There was a reflection of a watch in the surface while no timepiece was visible on Kirill.

Bloggers were quick to find a cached version of the same image with the Patriarch’s watch intact. The conclusion they drew was that they had either found a documented miracle or the Patriarchy was not honest, stating that every image on its website was original and unedited.

Further data mining produced a few more photos with Kirill’s watch disappearing in transition between an older and a more recent version of the website. The incident naturally brought plenty of sarcastic comments from Church critics, who accuse the clergy of enjoying luxury lifestyles and preferential treatment from the Russian government.

On Thursday the Patriarchy came up with an explanation, saying the disappearance was “a ridiculous mistake” made by a secular employee responsible for the website’s content. The 24-year-old woman “acted out of stupid unjustifiable and unauthorized initiative” in editing the controversial images, they said.

Intense public interest over what model of watch Patriarch Kirill wears was first sparked in July 2009 during his visit to Ukraine. At the time the senior Russian Orthodox cleric preached austerity and honest labor as key features needed to resolve the ongoing economic crisis.

But in a sharp contrast to his words, some media published a photo of the Patriarch showing a luxury Breguet watch with an estimated price tag between 28,000 and 36,000 euro.

Commenting on the scandal, Church officials said the watch was either a gift – the high value of which was not known to the Patriarch – or a hoax.

The brand of the timepiece, which was described by some journalists for only showing in a reflection as having “reverse vampiric qualities” was not identified.

• Annie Robbins
      November 14, 2015, 3:10 am

speaking of breguets and reverse vampiric qualities, did you know a breguet person is more likely to commit murder?? listen in at around 10 minutes. whereas is you want to have a clearer understanding of a rolex vs breguets wearers sex habits you have to queue in around 8 or so. (snark)

7. Leahj
    November 14, 2015, 1:06 am

Philip (may I call you ‘Philip’?), I find this new expose’ a little perplexing, & am afraid I’m missing the point. Most of the articles here address human rights, often life & death issues. Why are we talking about somebody’s watch?? Well, since we are, I’ll toss in my 2 cents.

First, according to Forbes Israel 2013, Bibi & Sara had a combined worth of over 41 million shekels, or US $10 million. With over 10 million bucks, he can certainly afford a $5,000 watch.

Full disclosure: While I will never be a millionaire (much less a multi-millionaire), I do wear a Rolex. Everyday. It was a very special birthday gift 15 years ago, from someone, now deceased, who loved me. I’m sure I’ll be wearing it for the next 15 years too, probably much longer. A lot of my friends buy a new $100 watch every year, so it comes out about the same cost-wise. And I know that if I ever find myself in desperate need of cash for food, rent, a medical expense, — whatever — I can always pawn or sell mine. Because they hold their value pretty well, regardless of age.

I don’t believe my watch tells you anything whatsoever about my good character, or about the lovely, delightful person I am. :-) All it can tell you is what time it is. And there are plenty of better indicators of Netanyahu’s lack of character, of just what kind of person he is, than what he wears on his wrist.

8. talknic
    November 14, 2015, 2:34 am

Sara ‘s gift? From the bottle money maybe

9. DaBakr
    November 14, 2015, 4:12 am

A $5000 swiss mechanical is hardly considered that expensive in todays world of the shrinking 99%. Any joe-blow with a half decent middle management job can swing a $5000 watch by middle age if they are into watches.

A new Rolex-much more ubiquitous then Panerai – is easily $6000 grand for entry level models.

An Omega Seamster is 5k as are some Tag Heuers

And actually-most Panerai are more then $6k but its definitely a watch enthusiasts watch. Guys that want a serious dive watch that stands apart from the more typical Rolex and Omega go for them. They were first made for the Italian navy

And btw-note to PW. Ben Gurion had an Omega-not a cheap watch at the time either. Even Patek Phillipe made military issue watches for ww2 so its hard to judge a man by his watch unless you know a lot about watches. However-its safe to say if Bibi were wearing a Timex with his “shiny” suits it would indicate a man who could care less about the watch he wears and only has it for telling time. A Panerai has a history and is n icon of style. Its an upper middle class watch though-not a rich mans watch.

10. Kay24
    November 14, 2015, 6:28 am

This watch is nothing. I am sure Booby man is given much better stuff by the billionaires and millionaires of the zionist family, who must reward him for all the hard work he keeps doing, getting rid of Arabs, more lands to build illegal settlements, and control of precious water, for the tribe. Booby and Sara will become wealthy Israelis after he is done. He will write a book full of BS, and the US media will help him peddle it to naive people.

11. CigarGod
    November 14, 2015, 9:56 am

Well, I’d like to see him wearing a Dali watch. Melting and dripping off wrist…to symbolize how he presided over the last days of a state built on sand.

• Kris
      November 14, 2015, 2:33 pm

CigarGod: “… the last days of a state built on sand.”

Building on sand is foolish:

12. Boo
    November 14, 2015, 10:14 am

I wonder — does it go “tick … tick … tick”? If I were Bibi, that’d give me a real case of the creeps.

He really should be wearing an hourglass, so he could watch the grains of sand trickling down, down, ever down. A special one that can’t be turned over and re-set.

13. a blah chick
    November 14, 2015, 12:20 pm

“Many people are nostalgic for Israel’s socialist days. I’m not except in this respect: none of those early guys would get caught wearing a $5000 watch.”

They also cultivated wearing open necked shirts without ties and having everyone call them by their nicknames. All this to convey a false sense of intimacy with the (Jewish) public. It’s cheap political theater.

14. Henry Norr
    November 14, 2015, 7:05 pm

I can understand why rich people like some of their luxuries, but I’ve always been utterly mystified by the fancy-watch obsession. What does a $5K Panerai do that the Casio I got from Amazon for $10.26 doesn’t do?

• Donald
      November 15, 2015, 12:01 pm

Yeah, some signifiers of status always seemed silly to me. Though I will defer to watch experts about whether this 5k watch means anything. Personally it would make me very nervous wearing 5000 dollars on my wrist–I’m sufficiently klutzy I’d probably smash it on a doorway. Maybe Netanyahu is expressing confidence in his physical coordination.

15. echinococcus
    November 14, 2015, 9:15 pm

Who the hell cares? Ben Gurion or Rabin with their open-neck unpressed shirts and granpa’s broken chainwatch and all the fake poverty poured into the propaganda for the “socialist days” that tickle Weiss’ nostalgia were just exactly as invasive and genocidal, if not more. Time to stop having sympathies for Zionists even if they don’t wear fancy watches, Mr Weiss.