Brazil and Israel square off in diplomatic showdown over settler envoy

Brazil is not interested in having a right wing settler envoy as Israel’s ambassador and Israel won’t take “No” for an answer. A diplomatic crisis has been unfolding between the two countries since last August when Netanyahu publicly announced the appointment of Dani Dayan, the former head the Yesha Council from 2007 to 2013, as Israel’s next ambassador to Brazil — without first consulting the Brazilian Foreign Ministry.

The Yesha Council is the foremost umbrella organization representing the settler/colonialist movement which promotes the establishment and maintenance of illegal Jewish-only settlements on Palestinian land in the West Bank.

Reportedly, Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff rejected the proposition in September expressing concerns it would “be understood as support of Israeli settlements“. At the time Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon contacted Brazilian Defense Minister Jaques Wagner, Brazil’s most senior and influential Jewish politician. Ya’alon implored Wagner for Brazil’s formal acceptance of Dayan’s appointment but no acceptance was forthcoming. Wagner was promoted to President Rousseff’s chief of staff in October and stopped taking Ya’alon calls. By November his staff informed the Israeli Embassy to “Stop calling.. We know what Ya’alon wants to talk about. If we need to, we’ll get back to him.”

Reportedly, in what Haaretz referenced as a “leak”, a Brazilian official told The Times of Israel that Brazil (still) rejects the Dani Dayan’s appointment, they were “angry at choice of settler leader”, and waiting “until Jerusalem gets the hint and proposes a different envoy to its capital”.

That doesn’t seem to be in the cards. Last week Barak Ravid reported in Haaretz’s The Brazilian Crisis” that “Jerusalem understood it had a problem” but there’s no sign out of Israel they are considering a different envoy. Instead they are digging in their heels.

Carlos Latuff

Carlos Latuff

Ravid interviewed Dayan in a followup article who said if Israel doesn’t fight for his appointment, Brazil’s rejection could set a precedent for other countries barring settlers from representing Israel in the future. He says he is “fighting for the next ambassador who is a settler“:

“From the standpoint of conscience and ideology, I am not prepared to allow myself to be the one who creates the precedent that a resident of Judea and Samaria [the West Bank] or even the chairman of the Yesha Council can’t represent the government of Israel abroad.”…..

“The Israeli response to the current instance will determine how the host country for the next ambassador from Judea and Samaria [the West Bank] is appointed, or heaven forbid, create a reality in which hundreds of thousands of Israelis are disqualified from serving as ambassadors because of their place of residence and that Israel will be reconciled to it,” he said.

Indeed, heaven forbid.

And in the latest development, over the weekend Deputy Foreign Minister Tzipi Hotovely told Israel’s Channel 10 Dayan wouldn’t be replaced as Israel’s nominee. Instead, her ministry has an “action plan” to start pressuring Brazil to approve Dayan’s appointment.

Haaretz, Israel to Step Up Pressure on Brazil for Settler Leader’s Ambassadorship:

The first stage of the proposed plan involves summoning the Brazilian ambassador in Israel immediately after the first of the year, when he would be told that the failure to grant consent to Dayan’s appointment would result in a severe crisis between the two countries.

At the same time, the Israeli embassy in Brasilia is to initiate activity vis-à-vis the Jewish community and friends of Israel in Brazil to enlist their support for Dayan’s appointment. The embassy is also to work with Brazilian members of parliament urging them to publicly support Dayan as ambassador. One of the messages that will be conveyed to the Brazilians is that Dayan’s nomination has support from across the political spectrum in Israel, Hotovely noted.

“The Foreign Ministry will use all the tools at its disposal to have Dani Dayan’s appointment go through,” she said. “The state of Israel will not accept the phenomenon of disqualifying an ambassador over [his] ideological background, and we will act through diplomatic means to make that known in the clearest fashion.”

This looks like a showdown in the making because Brazil has not budged. Hotovely (who dreams to see the Israeli flag flying at Al Aqsa/Temple Mount”) has also threatened to downgrade relations with Brazil if the confirmation doesn’t go through.

Brazil is Israel’s second largest trading partner in South America providing Brazil with avionics technology for their aerospace and defense industry. But things have been chilled between the two countries for the last few years. Brazil pulled their ambassador out of Tel Aviv during the height of Israel’s 2014 summer slaughter in Gaza, citing disproportionate force. Israel responded by calling Brazil an “irrelevant diplomatic partner” and a “diplomatic dwarf.”

It’s likely whatever technology Brazil imports from Israel can be found elsewhere. According to Reuters “Celso Amorim, a former Brazilian foreign and defense minister, said on Friday that the diplomatic dispute over Dayan’s appointment showed that “it is time the Brazilian armed forces reduced their dependence on Israel.”

That sounds like a good idea. I hope other countries follow suit.

For a refresher on Yesha Council groupthink, we recommend Occupation Shmuccupation, the hasbara children’s book that teaches “there is no such thing as the State of Palestine” and “there is no solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict” – indoctrinating kids against Palestinians, Arabs and “leftist groups”.

About Annie Robbins

Annie Robbins is Editor at Large for Mondoweiss, a mother, a human rights activist and a ceramic artist. She lives in the SF bay area. Follow her on Twitter @anniefofani

1. MaxNarr
    December 29, 2015, 11:16 am

They will approve him or they will go without an ambassador. Their national defense will suffer for this, and for what? The labeling of products may have been defeated, but the labeling of Jews has just begun.

• Annie Robbins
      December 29, 2015, 11:34 am

….or they will go without an ambassador.

that sounds promising.

Their national defense will suffer for this

for punishment perhaps israel will carry out covert attacks against brazil.

• Blownaway
        December 29, 2015, 5:05 pm

Brazil is an economic basket case don’t be surprised if Israel calls in it big brother into the fight with an economic billy club and Brazil folds. Just sayin

• Annie Robbins
        December 29, 2015, 5:38 pm

i hope they don’t blownaway, not with the world watching this. brazil has cajons, or their president does at least.

• eljay
      December 29, 2015, 11:38 am

|| MaxNarr: They will approve him or they will go without an ambassador. … ||

No great loss.

|| … Their national defense will suffer for this … ||

Are you making a personal threat against Brazil or are you threatening it on behalf of all Zio-supremacists? On behalf of Israel? Or are you claiming that Israel will make Brazil suffer? Do you have any proof?

|| … the labeling of Jews has just begun. ||

• Annie Robbins
        December 29, 2015, 11:43 am

• eljay
        December 29, 2015, 11:45 am

|| Annie Robbins: eljay, if i’m not mistaken jews came up w/the benign “settler” label anyway, as they did the “self-hating jew”. ||

Hey, Annie. Yeah, that sounds like something “Do unto others what you would not have others do unto you” Zio-supremacists would do.

• Steve Grover
        December 29, 2015, 7:53 pm

eljay sez:
        “Why do you insist on anti-Semitically conflating Israel, Zio-supremacists and Zio-supremacism with all Jews, and all Jews with Israel, Zio-supremacists and Zio-supremacism? Why do you hate Jews so much? ”
        Eljay has posted nearly 10,000 times on Mondoweiss and what I quoted above is what he says 98.6342% in his posts. Since he posts the same thing so many times about anti Semitism he thinks he knows something about it.

• Annie Robbins
        December 29, 2015, 8:20 pm

i read in the hasbara handbook that people believe what they hear first and most often. or something to that effect. i understand it can be tiring hearing the same thing over and over but that’s the price one pays when countering bs and false accusations. the only reference i made to jews in the article was “Brazil’s most senior and influential Jewish politician.” narr’s accusation about labeling jews is a blatant effort to not understand what brazil’s problem with dayan is, and it’s not because he’s jewish. conflating it is a defamation, a slander to many many jews. that you do not recognize, or are unwilling to acknowledge that, is unfortunate.

narr was being purposely inflammatory, he’s lucky someone cleared that comment for publication.

December 29, 2015, 9:04 pm

“Eljay has posted nearly 10,000 times on Mondoweiss and what I quoted above…”

So, what is it , “Stevie” you want a handicap?

• eljay
        December 30, 2015, 7:22 am

|| Steve Grover: Eljay has posted nearly 10,000 times on Mondoweiss and what I quoted above is what he says 98.6342% in his posts. … ||

I bet you $10,000 – a buck a post in robust U.S. dollars – that 98.6342% (or even just 98%) of my posts do not contain the quoted paragraph. Are you game, or are you just (typically) full of hot air?

|| … Since he posts the same thing so many times about anti Semitism he thinks he knows something about it. ||

1. Are you suggesting that it is, in fact, acceptable to conflate Israel, Zio-supremacism and Zio-supremacists with all Jews, and all Jews with Israel, Zio-supremacism and Zio-supremacists?
        – If ‘yes’, why do Zio-supremacists like you complain when people do just that?
        – If ‘no’, why do you object to my referring to such conflation as anti-Semitic?

2. You say that I don’t know what anti-Semitism is. Fair enough. Since you’re a truly wise guy, how about you tell me – and everyone else here at Mondoweiss – what is the universally-accepted definition of anti-Semitism. That way, we can all be sure that neither I nor anyone else (e.g., hophmi) will misuse the term.

Over to you…

• RoHa
        December 30, 2015, 5:27 pm

“in robust U.S. dollars”

Don’t take it, Steve. Hold out for Swiss Francs.

• eljay
        December 30, 2015, 6:14 pm

|| RoHa: Don’t take it, Steve. Hold out for Swiss Francs. ||

$10,000 USD = ~$13,877 CAD
        10,000 CHF = ~$14,038 CAD

*sigh*

Either one is fine. :-)

• Steve Grover
        December 30, 2015, 7:15 pm

eljay,
        Let me make it crystal clear. Those who hate Israel hate Jews. I believe you fit into this category. I also believe the editors and editorial staff are anti-Semites as well no matter how much they deny it. They all hate Israel which means they hate Jews.

• eljay
        December 30, 2015, 7:31 pm

|| Steve Grover: eljay,
        Let me make it crystal clear. … ||

Oh, it’s clear alright: You’re a hateful and immoral Zio-supremacist. And you’re full of hot air.

|| … Those who hate Israel hate Jews. … ||

I’m sure some of the people who hate Israel hate Jews. I’m sure that some of the people who hate Israel hate oppressive, colonialist, expansionist and/or supremacist states.

Israel in its current form continues to be an affront to justice, accountability and equality – just like North Korea, Islamic State and Saudi Arabia, all of which I also dislike.

And I’m sure that those states – just like Israel – have brave defenders who accuse their detractors of NK, IS and SA hatred. You’re in terrific company, Steve.

|| … I believe you fit into this category. … ||

Of course you do.

|| I also believe the editors and editorial staff are anti-Semites as well … ||

Of course you do.

By the way, don’t forget to provide us with that universally-accepted definition of anti-Semitism.

|| … And Roha, if I were to get into this bet my alternative currency to the U.S. Dollar would be Israeli Shekels. … ||

10,000.00 ILS = ~3,556 CAD

No problem, I’m willing to bet you 10,000 ILS instead of $10,000 USD so that you lose less money. But you won’t take the bet because, as we have already determined, you’re full of hot air.

|| … I don’t waste my time getting into arguments on Mondoweiss on most issues because … ||

… you know you can’t win any of them.

|| … I prefer to throw zingers … ||

Is that what those are? Huh.

• diasp0ra
        December 30, 2015, 7:33 pm

@Grover

Damn, that is going to come as a surprise to a lot of Jewish pro-Palestinian folk. They must hate themselves!

Try a new trick Grover, you’re insulting every victim of real antisemitism with your tripe.

• MaxNarr
        December 30, 2015, 8:27 pm

I absolutely agree with Steve Grover. Zionism = Judaism. Zionism is the return of the Jewish people to our ancestral homeland.

Amazing way to interact with this hate-site and I will keep that in mind instead of getting sucked in by those who believe Jewish settlers can be murdered and it’s no big deal.

And yes eljay is an antisemite. I also don’t think he realizes his catchphrase ziosupreme won’t catch on.

Keep up the fight Steve Grover! We are all with you!

December 30, 2015, 9:56 pm

“I don’t waste my time getting into arguments on Mondoweiss on most issues because the hatred is so strong so I prefer to throw zingers and laugh at the Israel haters.”

“Steve Grover” you are too modest. Please, give me just a minute, and I’ll get a few of those “zingers” from your archive for everybody to admire and slip into their own conversation.
        But first, what are some of your personal favorites, “Steve”? You know, the ones you’ll put in your book.

December 30, 2015, 10:03 pm

” Zionism = Judaism. Zionism is the return of the Jewish people to our ancestral homeland.”

Oooh, that’s worrisome. I happen to know my ancestors are some kind of middle-Europeans or Slavs who converted to Judaism several hundred years ago. Unfortunately, the blood of the kings of Judah does not flow in my veins, but I am Jewish. Do I get a piece of Israel?

December 30, 2015, 10:20 pm

Wow, I better back off. I had forgotten that “Steve Grover” drags a lot of weight in the community:

“I have met and have spoken with Rabbi Kedar several times and I can tell you she despises BDS and the Israel hatred that you – Weiss spews and the Israel hatred that Mondoweiss spews.” “Steve Grover”- See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/profile/steve-grover?keyword=Rabbi#sthash.Ge7BY8Dk.dpuf

Sorry, “Steve”, I had forgotten idea you are speaking for the Rabbinate.

December 30, 2015, 10:34 pm

“Keep up the fight Steve Grover! We are all with you!” “MaxNarr”

Ummm, I don’t know how to break this to you Maxie, old ferd, but making an befuddled but maniacal fool of yourself on somebody elses blog where you are always subject to the Mods is not what most people would call keeping up a “fight”.

Now, think very, very hard “Maxila”, my “Maxila”. Do you think the Mods pass your posts because they have the forceful ring of truth, and unimpeachable logic, or because they are laughing too hard to find the “delete” button?

• Steve Grover
        December 30, 2015, 11:39 pm

Here Mooser is one zinger dedicated to you on my greatest hits album for callin’ da Mods on Max. ‘njoy!

The little Chihuahua likes to bark loud in a high pitch at opposing views. When he can’t take the heat he calls the moderators! ROTFLMZJSAO! (Rolling on the floor laughing my Zionist Jewish Smart Ass Off!)

• eljay
        December 31, 2015, 7:25 am

|| MaxNarr: I absolutely agree with Steve Grover. … ||

Of course you do: You and he are birds of a hateful and immoral feather.

|| … Zionism = Judaism. … ||

Congratulations on reducing anti-Semitism to such a simple equation. Why do you hate Jews so much?

|| … Zionism is the return of the Jewish people to our ancestral homeland. … ||

Palestine was not and is not the “ancestral homeland” of every person in the world who:
        – has undergone a religious conversion to Judaism; or
        – is descended from someone who underwent a religious conversion to Judaism.

Zio-supremacists haven’t “returned home” – you’ve stolen – and continue to steal – someone else’s home.

|| … And yes eljay is an antisemite. … ||

I’m anti-supremacist, and that includes Zio-supremacists. But I understand how my not liking someone as hateful and immoral as you might hurt your feelings. Poor baby… :-(

|| … I also don’t think he realizes his catchphrase ziosupreme won’t catch on. … ||

It’s “Zio-supremacist”, it’s not a “catchphrase” and I don’t use it in the hope that it’ll “catch on”. It’s a descriptive term and that’s exactly how I use it.

If you don’t like being labelled a supremacist, stop being one.

• Marnie
        January 1, 2016, 5:17 am

Steve Goober

“Let me make it crystal clear. Those who hate Israel hate Jews.”

Oh okay. Now that you’ve made it “crystal clear” it must be true………BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Its 2016. You need new material. Just because Maxx Dumkopf will parrot what Steverino “sez” don’t make it true.

• echinococcus
      December 29, 2015, 11:52 am

Narr,

This is a serious warning: Stop the antisemitism. By inserting “Jew” where
      Zionists are meant, you are inciting against Jewish people.

• Sulphurdunn
        December 29, 2015, 1:23 pm

I suppose that comment can be dismissed as an idle threat.

• Stephen Shenfield
        December 29, 2015, 1:42 pm

echinococcus: We don’t like it but what HE means is “Jew” — unfortunately.

• Annie Robbins
        December 29, 2015, 1:59 pm

narr is addicted to this crutch and holds on to it like a dog to his favorite bone. he’s bereft of other responses and can’t deal with the issues at hand. generally i wave it off but he appears to be a chronic commenter — thrusting for top comment to spam the thread. whatever. he’s so inane, my hunch is he was a problem child and couldn’t keep up w/the smart kids.

either way, i pity him. putting himself out there every day and having his arguments (whining) torn to shreds.

December 29, 2015, 2:19 pm

” he appears to be a chronic commenter — thrusting for top comment .”

Well, you can’t run a comment section with the Zionists you wish you had, you gotta go with the Zionists you’ve got.

• echinococcus
        December 29, 2015, 3:16 pm

There’s no need to call him “Max” when he calls himself Narr.

• Citizen
        December 29, 2015, 4:18 pm

@ Mooser
        Damn! That’s f**king funny! I wish you were my neighbor.

• Annie Robbins
        December 29, 2015, 5:35 pm

mooser you are hysterical!

December 29, 2015, 4:31 pm

“I wish you were my neighbor.”

Cool! Finally somebody who likes bad organ music at all hours.

December 29, 2015, 12:22 pm

“The labeling of products may have been defeated, but the labeling of Jews has just begun.”

Yup, “the labeling of Jews”. Somebody thinks that label is worth a lot:

“These people are attacking Jews with knives with the intent to murder and Jews are blamed” – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/profile/maxnarr/1?keyword=Jew%#sthash.lQUcsUTJ.dpuf

“The ONLY loss of land in the past 100 years has been Jewish, less we forget the expulsion and ethnic cleansing of ALL Jewish civilians from their rightful homes in Gaza and Gush Katif in 2005.” – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/profile/maxnarr/1?keyword=Jew%#sthash.lQUcsUTJ.dpuf

“It is an invention from those who believe Jewish blood is cheap and it’s ok to stab Jews.” – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/profile/maxnarr/1?keyword=Jew%#sthash.lQUcsUTJ.dpuf

“We both know that Palestine is the ancestral homeland of the Jewish people. There is no argument about that. Therefore, Jews are not colonists in their own land.” – See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/profile/maxnarr/2?keyword=Jew%#sthash.B4tlqu57.dpuf

Yup, all we need is that one label, “Jew%” and everything is so clear.

(That’s too many examples already, sorry. “Boycotting Jews”)

So, “MaxNarr”, are you ready to get rid of ‘Jew labeling’? You would lose your every excuse, immunity and entitlement if you did.

• oldgeezer
      December 29, 2015, 3:16 pm

Your histrionics aside, what labeling of Jews?

• RoHa
      December 29, 2015, 6:42 pm

“Their national defense will suffer for this”

Brazil does not face any military threats at the moment. Invasion by St. Kitts and Nevis still seems fairly unlikely.

So there is no great urgency in finding another supplier for avionics. And there are a number of countries which might just be able to help. Russia, Britain, France, Sweden, and China all know a thing or two about making making military aircraft and the associated avionics.

Or Brazil could upgrade its own aircraft industry.

“and for what? ”

Independence.

• CigarGod
      December 30, 2015, 9:01 am

Not on NPR this morning.
      They pretended to give both sides of the story, by having an NPR reporter in both Israel and Brasil.
      Of course no mention that the Brasil defence minister/chief of staff is Jewish.

• Kris
      December 30, 2015, 9:37 am

@MaxNarr: “the labeling of Jews has just begun.”

Not really. The “labeling of Jews” has always been the top strategy of Zionists in order to conflate “Jews” with “Israel,” so that criticism of Israel can be labelled “antisemitic.”

According to the logic of settler colonization, anti-Semitism is located not in hatred of Jews, but in the refusal to accept Israeli iniquity.

Those who disassociate Israel from Judaism frequently field false accusations of anti-Semitism. Those accusations don’t generally result from misreading. It’s precisely the disassociation of Israel from Judaism that so disturbs people who view Zionism as an atavistic duty.

The Zionist ideal of a state exclusive to Jews, as defined by a theocratic bureaucracy, reduces culture and history to the fanciful motifs of ethnonationalism.

Jewish peoplehood is thus contingent on fealty to Israel. Delinking Jewishness from Zionism constitutes a grievous act of anti-Semitism. All forms of Zionism, no matter how progressive they sound, rely on that linkage.

When Palestinians support democratic coexistence, which requires equal rights and nonsectarian citizenship, they implicitly desire the end of Zionism.

When Zionists reduce Israel to emblems of cultural uplift (Jewish redemption, biblical fulfillment, ethnic refuge, enlightenment of other nations), they elide its presence as a state that behaves in relation to certain geopolitical realities. It becomes exceptional and sacrosanct. It fulfills the exclusive destiny of an anointed few, sorted from the unchosen through the blunt rites of biology. (All forms of ethnonationalism do the same.)

The state’s critics, then, are not seen to be maligning unjust policies, but as performing acts of cultural insensitivity. https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/steven-salaita/liberal-zionism-and-ethnonational-imperative

I wonder how much longer the “antisemitic” card will have any power at all to influence anyone. The Holocaust against the European Jews ended in 1945, while the Israeli Jewish holocaust against the Palestinians is ongoing.

• RoHa
        December 30, 2015, 6:48 pm

“The state’s critics, then, are not seen to be maligning unjust policies, but as performing acts of cultural insensitivity.”

And even I, unreformed opponent of Political Correctness that I am, know that there is absolutely nothing worse than cultural insensitivity.

Even though I’m not sure what cultural insensitivity is.

• Froggy
      December 30, 2015, 12:54 pm

“The labeling of products may have been defeated….”

Defeated… no. However, BDS can be even more effective if our countries, and we, as individuals, boycott all products from every part of Israel. All of them.

Narr to the Max. You are well-named.

• Abern
      December 30, 2015, 7:16 pm

Brazil’s national defense is not going to suffer, and this is no crises. This is Zionists stomping their little feeties because they are not getting their way. The Brazilians are laying back and watching the show.

If you think Israel will refuse to sell Brazil military products you clearly do not understand the Israelis.

The ambassadorial appointment was another example of Israeli obnoxiousness. The Israelis were fully aware of Brazil’s position on the settler issue and they tried to shove this appointment in Brazil’s face.

2. echinococcus
    December 29, 2015, 11:50 am

Very nice. The Zionists accusing every Jewish person in Brazil of being a member of the Fifth Column. Which is, I imagine, strictly true in most cases but surely far from all.

So, no, antisemitism is not dead. It blooms in the hands of the Zionists.

• bintbiba
      December 29, 2015, 4:57 pm

The ‘ CHUTZPAH ‘ knows no bounds … …. …

Is there no ‘shonda ‘ ?

3. Ossinev
    December 29, 2015, 1:04 pm

Great cartoon. Neatly sums up the blind deluded arrogance of the shitty little Land of Creation. Just because the US consistently licks their unmentionable Nitay and co believe that the rest of the world should follow suit. Hope this clear signal by Brazil will speed up the process of the ROW completly ostracizing this little Fascist Cult Colony.

BOYCOTT UGLY APARTHEID ISRAEL

4. Sulphurdunn
    December 29, 2015, 1:19 pm

It seems more and more like Israel has become a global extortion racket.

5. Krauss
    December 29, 2015, 1:42 pm

Remember, the only reason – the only reason! – why Israel feels it has the impunitiy to do this is because of unlimited backing from the U.S.

In a world without blind U.S. support – aided by the Israel lobby – this kind of behaviour would never happen, because Israel would have to fight for its friends.

Still, as Brazil goes, so goes Latin America. Israel is burning bridges at an astonishing speed.

• Don
      December 29, 2015, 10:22 pm

Speaking of burning bridges, below are listed the Central and South American countries that voted for the creation of the state of Israel…13 of 33 total Yes votes.

Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, , Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela

Israel has a rather short memory

6. Another Dave
    December 29, 2015, 1:43 pm

Well, that’s a silly thing for Israel to pick a fight about.

It’s always been up to the other nation to accept or reject an ambassador. No other nation could seriously think of supporting Israel in this issue.

No. Of course not. Let’s play the ‘substitution’ game; Could Israel accept, say, David Duke as an ambassador? Of course not. (not that he’d ever be appointed, but hey. It’s the substitution game) How about the UK, do you think they’d accept an ambassador from Ireland who was a former member of the IRA?

Forcing an ambassador on another nation is a calculated, and intentional, diplomatic insult. Who’s the real “diplomatic dwarf”?

• amigo
      December 29, 2015, 2:35 pm

“How about the UK, do you think they’d accept an ambassador from Ireland who was a former member of the IRA? “Another Dave.

Or a former member of the UDR /UVF , both terrorists groups on the other side (there were two sides to the conflict)

Actually , Israel would very likely accept a Unionist as they were very happy to call on David Trimble , (card carrying member of the “Friends of Israel )to sit on the “Gaza Flotilla inquiry”.

• Another Dave
        December 30, 2015, 3:00 pm

I should have been clearer, as usual. :)

Would the UK have accepted an ambassador from (anywhere really) who continued to publicly argue that killing the Brits was a good thing and that stopping the killing was what was bad.

7. Stephen Shenfield
    December 29, 2015, 1:45 pm

Why doesn’t Netanyahu ask Obama to bomb Brazil unless its government accepts Dayan and humbly apologizes to Israel by a certain deadline? It will be a good test of Obama’s loyalty.

• Citizen
      December 29, 2015, 4:23 pm

Is Michelle using her Christmas gifts from our Israeli ambassador? Imagine what Brazil would do with them.

• Another Dave
        December 30, 2015, 6:23 pm

I should hope not. Gifts to the nation state, from other nation states, aren’t really to be used by real people.

They’re symbolic, if you expected them to use your gifts then you’d be open to accusations of bribery. Right?

Or am I baked?

8. xanadou
    December 29, 2015, 2:46 pm

Whatever the outcome, Israel will lose in the long run.
    This incident will likely be ignored by the media, but not where it counts, i.e., the world of future diplomatic relations.

Israel’s bizarre intransigence makes no sense. Brazil is likely already looking to find alternatives for their investments in Israel, including the avionics deal. Can Israel afford to futher weaken its crashing economy and rising militaristic expenditures?

How many other countries with no appetite for diplomats from the settler community are already considering alternatives for their own current Israeli investments?

For Ya’alon to try and coerce Brazil’s Wagner to do his bidding is a colossal exercise in irresponsiblity that casts a bad shadow over the diaspora for whom the Israelis have such contempt, but not when they need a useful idiot. Apparently.

Kudos to President Rouseff and Mr. Wagner.

• Annie Robbins
      December 29, 2015, 2:55 pm

it’s a perfectly legitimate objection if a country recognizes the illegality of the settlement enterprise.

• xanadou
        December 29, 2015, 3:35 pm

Agree.

Objections to a proposed appointment to an ambassadorship (not that rare), or rather that person’s baggage, is considered a subtle advisory by the approached country as to what the latter has no interest in contemplating. Especially when the rejection of the candidacy spills out into the public arena. At which point the initiator country usually quickly and quietly replaces the candidate with another one, with the hope that the issue is quickly forgotten. It usually is.

What does, therefore, Israel hope to accomplish by forcing the issue?
        Could this be Israel’s admission that it is fast losing whatever remains of its once almost total and unquestioning world support?

Israel needs to quickly learn what it’s like to be like any other country, i.e., a state where nothing can be taken for granted. Its functionaries have had 68 years to learn the art of statemanship, and have, it would seem, learned very little.

• bintbiba
      December 29, 2015, 5:02 pm

Takes ” Vulgar ” to the farthest end of the line !
      ……..
      “Kudos to President Rouseff and Mr. Wagner.” (xanadou)

• bryan
      December 30, 2015, 3:16 am

Is this not a stupid time for Israel to pick an argument with Brazil when Israeli security companies are set to enjoy a bonanza from the Summer 2016 Olympics in Rio?

see http://semiticcontroversies.blogspot.com.tr/2014/10/the-2016-rio-olympics-and-israel.html

The Guardian has also made the same point: “Emmanuel Nahshon, spokesman for Israel’s Foreign Ministry, said ties with Brazil were “good and important”, noting Israel’s recent opening of a new consulate in Brazil and the business opportunities for Israeli security firms during the Olympic Games to be held in Rio de Janeiro in August.” See http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/28/israel-warns-brazil-faces-diplomatic-downgrade-unless-it-accepts-settler-as-ambassador

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
        December 30, 2015, 9:49 am

This is Israel we are talking about. No argument is too small to pick. No time is inopportune. No point is too petty.

It’s their modus operandi, and in fairness, it might actually be quite a clever tactic. If even the slightest deviation results in an enormous headache for the ‘offending’ nation/organisation, then it makes it impossible to even contemplate genuine action against Israel. Another case in point is the song and dance Israel is making over the EU’s labelling of settlement produce – something which, at the end of the day, is nothing more than a symbolic slap on the wrist.

• bryan
        January 1, 2016, 11:39 am

Surely this is far more than just a clever tacting adopted by the government of Israel, but something that must be absorbed from the breast by every Zionist child? We see this with regard to comments on this and other sites where Zionist supporters seem duty bound to contradict even the most minor perceived slurs on Israeli integrity, no matter how absurd and intransigent their apologias become. Make remarks critical of American policy and the response will often be “Yes that leaves a lot to be desired” or “Yes but that needs to be understood in the context of…” or “There are two sides to this, and we’ll just have to disagree”. Make remarks critical of Israeli policy and the Zionist response will always be to defend their wet-dream to the hilt: “No, you don’t understand the complexity of the matter” or “No you are completely misinformed” or “No you are just an anti-Semitic hater”. Just rarely, when stuck for a response will they concede “Israel perhaps may not be completely perfect but is still much, much better than X, Y, Z and all the rest”.

9. TRG-42
    December 29, 2015, 3:18 pm

I hope the moral code of Brazilians is like that of Dilma R. when she was fighting the military junta.

• Stephen Shenfield
      December 29, 2015, 5:23 pm

After Dilma Roussef was arrested by the Nazi junta she was tortured for 22 days by punching, ferule, and electric shock. For that reason she may not have very positive feelings about a state that supported the junta and sold them arms.

10. oldgeezer
    December 29, 2015, 3:19 pm

Why Brazil should accept someone from the leadership of criminal activity escapes me. It’s good to see them take the moral high ground.

Nutty et Co are endangering Jewish people everywhere with their calls for them to act on behalf of Israel. They’re lunatics.

• Emory Riddle
      December 29, 2015, 3:35 pm

Nutty et Co are endangering Jewish people everywhere with their calls for them to act on behalf of Israel. –

They might be putting Jews in future danger but for right now they are providing Jewish privilege (similar to white privilege but beyond that).

The list of who they are currently actually damaging we begin with Arabs and Muslims in the ME, Arabs and Muslims in the West, and the American citizenry who are having their money hi-jacked, their freedom of speech assaulted, their government interfered with, their families sent off to fight Zionist wars, and so much more.

11. Annie Robbins
    December 29, 2015, 3:45 pm

i just noticed the nyt covered this yesterday, it was published 21 hours ago (which is later than i filed this story) http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/29/world/middleeast/israel-and-brazil-at-impasse-over-ambassador-appointment.html

interestingly, there’s no mention of the Yesha Council specifically, just “the former chairman of an organization that represents Jewish settlers in the West Bank”. and this:

Mr. Dayan is an advocate for expanding Jewish settlements in the West Bank, which Israel captured from Jordan in the 1967 war.

also, they framed the rejection as this:

The office of Brazil’s president, Dilma Rousseff, would not comment on the situation Monday, but a government official, speaking on condition of anonymity to freely discuss a diplomatic dispute, said the government’s silence reflected its objection to the way Israel publicly announced Mr. Dayan’s appointment before Brazil could assent.

this (sort of) implies that’s the primary reason why brazil has not made a formal acceptance or rejection is “the way Israel publicly announced Mr. Dayan’s appointment ” which is not entirely true. formal public diplomatic rejections are simply not normal because they are done in back channels prior to a country’s (israel in this case) formal appointment announcement. so israel set this up thinking they would corner brazil. but the rejection is not based on the way dayan was appointed, it’s because of who he is and his association w/settlements. here’s my 3rd paragraph embed: September 20, 2015 http://www.timesofisrael.com/brazilian-president-rejects-settler-leader-as-israeli-envoy/

‘Brazilian president rejects settler leader as Israeli envoy’

Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff has told Israel that she is unhappy with the appointment of former settler leader Dani Dayan as ambassador to her country, the Ynet news site reported Sunday.

Rousseff is worried that accepting Dayan as ambassador would be understood as support of Israeli settlements, the report said.

The communique reportedly came as part of back-channel messages between Rio de Janeiro and Jerusalem in an attempt to warn Prime Minister Netanyahu not to go ahead with the appointment. While the rejection of an ambassador by a host country is rare, governments sometimes encourage the withdrawal of certain appointments to avoid diplomatic confrontations.

so brazil communicated their rejection to israel months ago. israel is just choosing to ignore it and force brazil to make some formal rejection announcement, which is not (or against) routine diplomatic protocol. what’s next? claiming brazil is being anti semitic!!

• RoHa
      December 29, 2015, 7:02 pm

“what’s next? claiming brazil is being anti semitic!! ”

Annie, are you seriously suggesting that Brazil isn’t anti-Semitic? Why would Brazil be different from everyone else?

• Annie Robbins
        December 30, 2015, 12:14 pm

roha, you might like this: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4741732,00.html

Brazilian lawmaker Carlos Marun, who is at the forefront of the campaign against the appointment of Dani Dayan’s as Israel’s ambassador to Brasilia, has compared the settler leader to a Nazi commander.

“To send a settler leader to represent Israel in Brazil is an insult to our country. We can’t accept such provocation,” Marun said. “It would be like Germany sending to Brazil a former concentration camp commander as an ambassador, like Chile sending to Brazil an ambassador who is a prison guard from the dictatorship, or South Africa sending a prison torturer from the apartheid regime.”

…..

In a video of his remarks, Marun says: “I have nothing against the existence of the State of Israel, whose borders are already recognized and take up 85 percent of Palestine. These settlers are agents of Zionism that the world cannot accept. They are thieves of others’ land. In what is an insult to Brazil, an insult to the government, and an insult to millions of Brazilians whose origins, like mine, are from the Arab world — Israel chooses to send the leader of these settlers to represent it in our country.”

Marun went on to say that “We cannot accept this provocation, we cannot accept this. Brazil needs to respond to this. Israel wants to humiliate Brazil in this way, ‘the diplomatic dwarf’ as it’s been called in the past.”

• RoHa
        December 30, 2015, 5:17 pm

Yep. Definitely anti-Semitic.

Brazil should be grateful that Israel deigns to send an ambassador.

12. Shmuel
    December 29, 2015, 3:51 pm

The latter, Dani, the latter. The Israeli diplomatic corps is full of settlers. It’s not about where you happen to live, but about what you represent as the former head of the Yesha Council. You have been appointed because you are a symbol of the settlement project (unlike a consul or ambassador who just happens to live over the green line). Your appointment is an attempt to force the Brazilian government to go against its declared policy and international consensus, and afford legitimacy to Israel’s illegal settlement enterprise.

How do you feel about the Marshall Islands?

• Keith
      December 29, 2015, 5:54 pm

SHMUEL- “Netanyahu is playing chicken against a much bigger opponent (a massive BRIC, as a matter of fact), and the way it looks now, he’s going to lose.”

I wouldn’t bet on that. The empire isn’t fond of BRICS and this could be but one part of the never ending war against anyone who opposes imperial hegemony. The empire is on a rampage as we end one era and transition to another. This, of course, is highly speculative. Let us just say that I have a dark foreboding about 2016.

December 29, 2015, 9:36 pm

“(unlike a consul or ambassador who just happens to live over the green line).”

“Just happens to live over the green line”. So that’s what it’s come to. But as you note it’s more than that with Dani Dayan.

I wonder how many other countries have ” a consul or ambassador” who is an illegal settler?

• CigarGod
        December 30, 2015, 9:10 am

Very interesting question…
        You know how we do it in the usa. These Amb. appointments are a reward to supporters. Consul appointments less so. Then there are the Honorary Consuls. Waaay under the radar.

• MHughes976
        December 30, 2015, 11:50 am

Is he the deeply civilised wine connoisseur and committed opponent of apartheid of whom we have heard before or was that someone else?

13. farhad
    December 29, 2015, 3:52 pm

Wait until Israel’s lawyer, AKA United States government, gets in and force Brazil to comply to Israeli wishes.

• CigarGod
      December 30, 2015, 9:12 am

Yep.
      This is where I’d like to be controlling one of those little robotic flies on the wall.

• RockyMissouri
      December 30, 2015, 11:17 am

I hope to hell NOT..!! Brazil should not be forced to accept an ambassador they DO NOT WANT..!!

This is disgusting…

14. Citizen
    December 29, 2015, 4:43 pm

Brazil, like so many countries, including the USA, depend on Israel’s “battle tested” security stuff developed on Israel’s lab rats, the Palestinians. Where will it go to replace Israel’s help?
    In 2010 the Israeli and Brazilian governments signed a security cooperation agreement to exchange technologies and training with a special focus on securitizing the World Cup and Olympics. In 2010 and 2011, Elbit Systems won contracts with the Brazilian Air Force for Hermes 450 unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs or drones). In the ensuing years the level of military and police cooperation has grown including sales of ever more advanced UAVs, communications and surveillance systems.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
      December 30, 2015, 12:38 pm

“Brazil, like so many countries, including the USA, depend on Israel’s “battle tested” security stuff developed on Israel’s lab rats, the Palestinians.”

Do they though? Genuine question.

Is Israeli technology really so unique that no other country on earth can fill the gap? Secondly, so far as I know Brazil isn’t facing any military threats right now, or likely to do so in the foreseeable future. Do they really need Israel and its fancy technology more than Israel needs them?

15. Rodneywatts
    December 29, 2015, 4:43 pm

So glad, Annie, you picked up on this news– so many good and sensible comments too. The latter along with the ziobarbs and consequential witticisms make MW such a tonic.

I have to substantially agree with @ oldgeezer that ‘They’re lunatics’ –or at least not of a right mind. In a way this is very good, because a ‘downgrading of diplomatic status’ is a two way event, with Israel being downgraded effectively more than Brazil. I note that
    ‘Celso Amorim, a former Brazilian foreign and defence minister, said on Friday that the diplomatic dispute over Dayan’s appointment showed that “it is time the Brazilian armed forces reduced their dependence on Israel.” ‘ http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/28/israel-warns-brazil-faces-diplomatic-downgrade-unless-it-accepts-settler-as-ambassador .

In terms of importance to international inter-reactions and policies regarding the EU, Israel is lightweight compared to Brazil
    Also in my understanding the US needs to be very careful now wrt relations with both the EU and Brazil. The previous tightening up of European advice regarding trade with settlements and the news reported here indicate strongly that the tide of fortune is turning against Israel, whatever the US Admin. do or say. The importance of MW and other entities who deconflate Jews and Israel and zionism cannot be overstated in terms of ultimate Jewish safety.

• Annie Robbins
      December 29, 2015, 5:32 pm

thank you so much rodney. great comment and i agree with you this is a good thing. i’ll check out your links. btw, your quote and guardian link to Celso Amorim’s quote, i did cite that in the article above (at the end) w/embed: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-israel-idUSKBN0UA0LV20151227 the guardian article was actually written by reuters. i thought it was one of the most positive things i had read in the whole affair. brazil is a giant, one of the BRIC countries, and israel bit off more than it can chew on this one.

• Rodneywatts
        December 30, 2015, 4:16 am

You are quite right Annie, you did use Celso Amorim’s exceedingly important quote and which I did not acknowledge correctly. I think it was due to the way I try to scan all articles and give credit, and I had just read the guardian’s. If you do follow up my links you may well be interested to click on the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership ( TTIP) link which is top left in both. The TTIP negotiations were originally closed door between teams from the US and EU, but through pressure across the EU, have been made open. The US and corporations had variously tried to weaken labor and public rights, and also, important to MW, tried to sneak in anti-BDS protection for Israel. All the best for 2016!

• RockyMissouri
        December 30, 2015, 11:18 am

Wonderful to know!

Thank you, Annie.

16. Citizen
    December 29, 2015, 5:24 pm

Israeli envoys seem to be in the news: Israeli diplomat in disciplinary dock for quoting Goering’s advice on how to control the masses: http://toi.sr/1MFjH4D via @timesofisrael

Goering’s ghost must also be chuckling at GOP candidates & Hillary using Fear to manipulate potential voters.

17. MichaelJay
    December 29, 2015, 6:39 pm

Salute to Brazil for standing up against the powerful Zionists.

18. Kay24
    December 29, 2015, 9:50 pm

Do we have to wonder how Israel would have reacted had Iran assassinated their scientists?
    There would be wailing, anger, outrage, cries of victimhood, and the lobbies would have demanded Congress pass numerous resolutions against Iran. Next time Israeli minions whine about some proxy war Iran is waging, let us not forget the crimes against Iran by Israel (which the zionist media never mentions)

I wonder if the US media covered this nugget:

“Report: U.S. Pressures Israel to Halt Assassinations of Iranian Nuclear Scientists
    Israel has never acknowledged assassination campaign ‘aimed at Iran’s top nuclear scientists,’ which article says has lasted for several years.”

• gamal
      December 29, 2015, 10:12 pm

In 1980 in Paris Israel murdered Yahya al-Mashad, Nuclear Physicist, Egyptian working for Iraq, do you think it could in any way be connnected? the Israeli’s put out the story that they had waited till after his appointment with a high priced dominatrix , “He liked kinky sex. Let him die happy.” was the commanders reported comment, its in some eminently forgettable book of Mossad derring do, it was a great comfort to us all, his family, especially, were so relieved.

His throat was slit.

• Kay24
        December 30, 2015, 3:29 am

Honestly, I do not know much about this, so cannot comment. However, you have made me interested, and I will do some reading on it.

Israel and it’s agents are masters of deception, murder, and can make any victim look aggressive, and the perpetrator. Even the little Palestinian kids are made to look dangerous, despite the fact they are unarmed and terrified of the brutal IDF.

• gamal
        December 30, 2015, 3:49 am

in that case you might want to check the cases of

Samira Moussa

and Dr Ali Moustafa Mosharafa, mourned by Einstein himself.

19. pmb1414
    December 30, 2015, 8:01 am

There is always room for compromise. The Brazilian government can move the Israeli embassy to their notorious favela.

20. lysias
    December 30, 2015, 11:12 am

I wonder if Israel and its supporters have been supporting the moves to impeach Roussef behind the scenes.

21. tommy
    December 30, 2015, 11:34 am

Dani Dayan is a terrorist, and Brazil’s course for dealing with his appointment should be to indict him for terrorist acts, and arrest him if he should arrive in Brazil to assume his post, then try him in a trial that demonstrates the terrorism the militant squatters practice.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
      December 30, 2015, 12:35 pm

You can’t arrest an ambassador though, except with the consent of their own country, which certainly would not be forthcoming in this case. However, Israel tramples on diplomatic customs all the time, so I suppose why shouldn’t Brazil?

I really do hope Brazil stands firm and refuses to appoint this criminal.

• lysias
        December 30, 2015, 2:13 pm

He doesn’t become an ambassador unless and until he is accredited by the country he is supposed to serve in.

22. genesto
    December 30, 2015, 12:11 pm

Israel’s finding out the hard way that it cannot buy nor bully its way to world legitimacy while it maintains the Occupation. And its hold on Western governments (US and Eurpope) is becoming more and more tenuous as it’s society moves closer and closer towards right wing extremism.

23. James Canning
    December 30, 2015, 1:19 pm

More countries should pressure Israel regarding its insane illegal colonisation programme in occupied Palestine.

24. Ossinev
    December 30, 2015, 1:34 pm

From Todays Times of Israel

“But there is an option that could allow all parties to save face and salvage cordial bilateral ties: offer Dayan a different diplomatic posting of equal prestige. He cannot become ambassador in his native Buenos Aires since he still holds Argentinian citizenship (which one cannot renounce), but he could be sent to another high-profile location where his mother-tongue Spanish and his fluent command of English would be of value”

Sums it all up really. He is a native of Argentina who holds Argentinian citizenship but because his ” direct family” were driven out by the Romans nearly 2,000 years ago he decided to go back and resettle in his ancestral homeland despite the unpleasantness of having to confront and kick out the people whose families HAD BEEN living there for hundreds of years.

Best”option” for this hypocritical worm would be for him to face trial for his crimes and serve an appropriate amount of time in jail , preferably in solitary confinement.

Watch the creature squirm,lie and deny in the following: