My one word interrogation at Ben Gurion airport

My flight from New York lands just before 5:00 pm at Ben Gurion airport near Tel Aviv. I gather my belongings and head towards passport control. The entry hall is surprisingly empty. I’ve seen the lines before the passport agents run 20 and 30 deep with travelers before, but today there is nearly no waiting. I am called by the border control agent to approach his kiosk and am asked for my passport. The agent is an older man; he is joking with the younger female agent in the kiosk next to him as I approach.

I give him my passport. He glances at it and asks me one question:

“Horowitz?”

His tone is slightly puzzled, with a touch of amusement.

I reply, “Yup.”

I’m anticipating another question, but he gives me my entry permit and I’m on my way. I’m outside the airport by 5:30, looking for my transport to Jerusalem.

Over the last several years some of the most important stories we’ve run in Mondoweiss have been people’s nightmarish experiences in Ben Gurion airport. Most have been Palestinian Americans sharing their stories of being interrogated, strip searched, humiliated, detained and prevented from visiting their homeland. Other stories have been aid workers barred from entering to help Palestinian communities under occupation. And there have also been stories of students and even musicians who have been kept out of Israel/Palestine on the whim of the young Israeli solider or border agent. Each of these stories are shocking in their own way, and each serve as a microcosm of the system of apartheid that currently governs life in Israel/Palestine.

About Adam Horowitz

Adam Horowitz is Co-Editor of Mondoweiss.net.

1. Michael Rabb
    January 8, 2016, 10:15 am

what ?! a jew is allowed to fly through passport control at Jewish state airport ? Shocked ! Shocked I tell you.
    “Certainly there are Jewish people who actively support the Palestinian cause and speak out against the Israeli crimes. Members of my family do so, some of my friends in Palestine and around the world who are Jewish do so, and of course the ultra-orthodox Neturei Karta do so. And although these Jewish voices are beginning to be heard, all told we are a negligible few.
    So next time a Palestinian says the “Yahud” killed my family, the Yahud took my land, the Yahud put my father in prison, the Yahud forced my family into exile, spare them the indignation. Spare them the long lecture about the distinctions between Jew and Israeli, Israeli and Zionist, etc. Instead, it is time to demand the Yahud give answers. Because though Jews are known for asking tough questions, on this issue, as a collective they are far too silent.” — Miko Peled

• jd65
      January 8, 2016, 5:14 pm

That is a tremendous quote, and one I had not read before. Thank you Michael.

• Stephen Shenfield
      January 9, 2016, 8:35 am

I agree: no indignation, no long lectures. But how about making the point with a brief remark? For instance: “I’m a Jew and if I could I would give you back your land / release your father / let you return.” Is that allowed?

• jd65
        January 9, 2016, 12:59 pm

Hey Stephen. Since there’s no indication in your post, I can’t really tell what you’re referring to in general. Or if you’re directing your question to me, Michael Rabb, Adam Horowitz, or Miko Peled. So I’d say this: I don’t understand your question “Is it allowed?” Allowed by whom? And the point of the brief remark you’ve written has been made by many, to many. Certainly by myself and Miko. Maybe not on this board/forum, but many times in many places to many people. I obviously can’t speak for Michael or Adam on that point…

• Stephen Shenfield
        January 9, 2016, 7:16 pm

d65: My question was directed to Miko Peled and to Michael Rabb, who associates himself with what Peled said. I was reacting to Peled’s use of the imperative mode: “Spare them etc.” And to his assumption that you can either challenge Palestinians who identify their oppressors with Jews in general or challenge Jews who remain silent or worse. Why can’t you challenge both? Solidarity with Palestinians doesn’t require us to accept guilt for crimes in which we took no part.

January 9, 2016, 7:42 pm

” Solidarity with Palestinians doesn’t require us to accept guilt for crimes in which we took no part”

Are you worried about accepting guilt, or some responsibility? They don’t throw you in jail for accepting responsibility.

• jd65
        January 11, 2016, 12:06 am

Hey Stephen. I appreciate the reply.

Well… At first I was gonna get all indignant about how that’s not what Peled means (that it has to be one or the other), and how could you think blah blah blah… But I guess I can see your point and how someone may read what he’s written to mean what you’ve taken it to mean. And, of course, who am I to say what Peled meant anyway, right? But I don’t believe Peled thinks it has to be one or the other like you’ve implied. The above excerpt from the piece Peled’s written may just come off that way to certain readers. But I feel that’s a narrow interpretation.

For me, Peled’s “spare them” challenge means that when you have a full understanding of the history of the conflict, combined w/ a deep understanding of the personal experiences of many in the West Bank and Gaza, you can understand why certain Palestinians may (wrongly) see Jews in general as their enemy, instead of more specifically Israelis, IDF, Zionists, etc.

By that I mean this: Peled writes of “…a Palestinian [saying] the ‘Yahud’ killed my family, the Yahud took my land, the Yahud put my father in prison, the Yahud forced my family into exile…” It’s entirely possible, likely even, that the Palestinian saying those things #1) Did in fact have all those horrific crimes committed against him/her by Jews, and only Jews. And maybe more importantly, #2) Has never met a Jew who wasn’t part of the oppressive Israeli soul crushing machine. I would respectfully say that in those instances/contexts (ie: responding to a Palestinian from Gaza who’s just told you of their parents deaths in Operation Cast Lead and their brother’s ongoing years-long incarceration for being accused of throwing a stone, etc.), it’s entirely inappropriate to chastise them for not making the distinctions between Israel / Jew / IDF/ Zionist / Liberal Zionist / Cultural Zionist / on and on and on… This is the context, I believe, Peled is referring to in which we should “spare them.” Time and place, man. Time and place. To truly try and understand what they’ve been subjected to, and by whom. This, I believe, is what Peled is getting at. Or, maybe that’s what I’m getting at.

You write, “Solidarity with Palestinians doesn’t require us to accept guilt for crimes in which we took no part.” No. It doesn’t. But it does require us to do our best to understand what’s happened to them. To empathize with them. And to give them every benefit of the doubt after we understand that we are, sadly, eternally associated with the People who have ruined their lives, stolen their land, killed their families, and perverted their People’s history in the eyes of the world. In my book, that will occasionally mean not lecturing them after they say “Jew” instead of “IDF Soldier.”

To be clear… On the other hand, if you’re having a conversation w/ a diaspora Palestinian who was born in Queens, grew up in The Bronx, and is currently a Political Science graduate student at Columbia University, then it’s all fair game :)

• Annie Robbins
        January 11, 2016, 1:34 am

stephen, if someone tells you a jew just killed their son and burned there house down why would one respond by defending oneself or explaining the context? it’s not the time or place.

i remember when i was in gaza 5 months after the 08-09 slaughter surrounded by a group of kids and one of them lifted his shirt up and showed me a diagonal scar that stretched across his little stomach. it was not an old healed scar. it was about 6 inches long. he pointed to it and said “jew”. the last thing from my mind was to educated him. him and his friends were staring into my face with their eyes so strong. he didn’t know if i was jewish or not. he was showing me what certainly almost took his life. i just tried to communicate as much empathy as i could. he was about 8. the last thing on my mind was explaining to him not all jews were like that. even tho, to him, they probably were.

• Bumblebye
        January 11, 2016, 2:35 am

“Yahud” in Peled’s piece is not being used by Palestinians to reference people of faith or background but as nationality. It is a “nationality” zionist leaders conferred on a particular sector of the population. They could instead, have chosen “Hebrew” (perhaps), a nationality that could have expanded to include people who don’t come from any kind of Jewish background…maybe that’s why they didn’t chose it.

Iow, the use of “yahud” isn’t done to cast a slur on all Jews, but a consequence of Israeli zionist decisions.

• diasp0ra
        January 11, 2016, 9:57 am

@Bumblebye

Exactly.

Yahud and Israeli are interchangeable in Palestinian colloquial speaking. When people talk about Judaism they specify it as such.

• jd65
        January 11, 2016, 11:55 am

Bumblebye writes:

Yahtzee! Well put, sir/ma’am.

• Kathleen
      January 9, 2016, 4:24 pm

Michael you have had some of your own experiences. You rank right up there with some other activist turned away. I know Norman Finkelstein is on the most not wanted list in Israel. I think Noam Chomsky has a hard time getting in too. Medea?

I met Seymour Hersh in D.C.’s union station in a Starbucks line. Had quite the conversation with him and his wife (sorry can’t remember her name) He had just been turned away from getting in the Gaza during the last massacre.

Just do not get how MW folks get right in. Clearly for some reason not considered a threat. Don’t get it.

• Eva Smagacz
        January 10, 2016, 10:13 pm

Kathleen, I think Chomsky has global audience, and Seymour Hersh could write about Gaza to wide non-Jewish audiences.

I think that for as long as Mondoweiss are perceived as writing mainly for Jewish audience, it’s writers will be tolerated, when they will break into the mainstream, the gloves will come off.

Norman Finkelstein expressed admiration for Hezbollah fearless resistance against Zionist occupation (he did not say he agreed with Hezbollah) – that was, I suspect, the reason for his 10 year ban.

• echinococcus
        January 11, 2016, 1:20 am

Exactly. If Mondoweiss addresses the general population the gloves will come off.
        This is precisely the measure of efficacy.

2. Theo
    January 8, 2016, 10:35 am

Congratulations Adam, it seems having a jewish name and jewish face provides one with privileges at Ben Gurion airport. One of my favorit pianist was also a Horowitz, I am sure you know him, or better said, knew him.

However, your experience does not change the facts that non-jews are treated a much different way, I wonder, could I say the same as you do? I had israeli friends, our daughters went to kindergarden and school together, and they sure had different stories to tell, and that was 30 years ago and the situation is much worse nowdays.

January 8, 2016, 2:43 pm

“One of my favorit pianist was also a Horowitz, I am sure you know him, or better said, knew him.”

“Know him”? Heck, they used to jam together on the twin Steinway’s in the Horowitz living room!

3. a blah chick
    January 8, 2016, 11:07 am

I would really like to know how much contraband gets smuggled into Israel by Jewish folk. Does anyone have any stories on this?

4. hophmi
    January 8, 2016, 12:29 pm

“But to me these stories become even more disturbing when compared to the experience of many others, mostly Jews and white Americans and Europeans, who travel through Ben Gurion without a care, or an interrogation.”

Yes. It’s disturbing when your presumptions about Israel are undermined because the border agents don’t play to your stereotype by deporting you, eh, Adam? It must be really annoying.

• YoniFalic
      January 8, 2016, 12:56 pm

@hophmi did not read the article. Horowitz was pointing out the privileging status of a “Jewish” name at Israeli passport control.

I would receive similar privileged treatment at Ben Gurion rather as any white received in the Jim Crow South even if he despised Jim Crow with all his soul (as I despise the State of Israel and Zionists).

January 8, 2016, 2:12 pm

“If Alfred Rosenberg landed at Ben Gurion, his name would almost certainly privilege him at passport control.”

Taking inspiration from modern gene-snapping techniques, my cosmetic research is proceeding apace! I am working on a sort of eau de cologne and after-shave (to be called “Mot Jewste) containing Jewish pheromones. Shpritz twice in the men’s room when you land, and you’ll go through Ben Gurion like a dose of salts. Even faster if the passport control officer is the apposite sex. Whichever one that is.

• talknic
      January 8, 2016, 6:31 pm

@ hophmi demonstrates the Ziofier http://mondoweiss.net/2015/12/your-brain-zionism

“It’s disturbing when your presumptions about Israel are undermined because the border agents don’t play to your stereotype by deporting you, eh, Adam? “

Uh? Jewish sounding name, go right on thru, actually supports the presumption of Jewish supremacy in Israel

5. Ossinev
    January 8, 2016, 2:16 pm

@YoniFalic
    Was about to point out the exact same thing. Anyway in view of the recent Aegean Airlines incident it would appear that Israel is encouraging its Jewish nationals to do ad hoc “forward selections” of air passengers travelling to Israel on foreign airlines to ease the targeting and interrogation workloads of their Border Agents at Ben Gurion. Anyone vaguely “Arab looking” particularly if they have a “funny stare” can be intimidated into disembarking by Jewish passengers thus providing advance intelligence or even better persuading these “Arab types” from travelling to the Land of Creation altogether.

If you visit the Israel Tourist Board website you will find the following little gem:

“If you are flying EL AL Israel Airlines (or from Europe on Arkia Israel Airlines or Israir), please know that the security precautions taken by Israeli airlines are the stuff of legend and the envy of the world’s airlines. On check-in for your flights you will be asked a variety of questions during a security interview. Some of the questions may seem un-PC, intrusive, irrelevant or repetitive. Just answer truthfully, go with the flow and don’t lose your cool. Remember, the questions are designed to protect you and your fellow passengers. When you leave Israel, the departure process is identical to that outlined above for all airlines.”

Apart from the fact that this applies only to non – Jewish travellers (other than the self denying dangerous types like N.Finklestein”) it beggars belief that a country claiming to be a Western type democracy is seriously saying to tourists ” Some of the questions may seem un-PC, intrusive, irrelevant or repetitive. Just answer truthfully, go with the flow and don’t lose your cool”.

“Don`t lose your cool” and “go with the flow” and whatever you do don`t STARE back in bewilderment – then you will be really screwed.

And “stuff of legend and the envy of the world`s airlines.” !? FFS

• Froggy
      January 8, 2016, 9:31 pm

Pathetic. A nation of Kuni Lemels on a power trip.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
      January 9, 2016, 9:24 am

Is there anything Israelis don’t think they do so much better than everyone else? I suppose the country that gave us the cherry tomato can achieve anything.

BTW I ventured into the comments section of a JPost article about the Aegean Airlines incident. A few commenters were on the side of the Palestinians, but the main line of ‘thinking’ seemed to be ”Come on! There must have been SOMETHING dodgy about those guys” (even though they were double checked and no problems found) and/or ”Serves those Israelis right for not flying El Al. They’re the only ones who know how to look after us.” With this mentality, is it any wonder why Israeli tourists are hated everywhere they go? That said, Aegean deserves to be boycotted for caving in to their thuggery.

• a blah chick
      January 9, 2016, 12:42 pm

Something that was sort of buried in the Aegean Airlines incident was that even after the Palestinians were kicked off the protesters were still demanding that the cabin be checked for well explosives I guess. At that point the crew put their foot down and said no. And if anyone did not like it they could get off the plane with NO compensation. It was quiet after that. That was how it should have been handled in the first place.

Gee, in a choice between the chance of getting blown out of the sky or losing money they decided on the latter.

• Maximus Decimus Meridius
        January 10, 2016, 12:25 pm

But the crew were definitely at fault here. I don’t envy them having to deal with a braying mob of thugs, but surely airline staff are trained for such eventualities, and IATA guidelines recommend a ‘zero tolerance’ policy for unruly passengers. The staff should have taken control of the situation from the outset – they should have refused even the first request to have the Palestinians’ papers rechecked (since when do passengers get to dictate security measures?) – and when the Israeli passengers refused to cooperate, they should have been threatened with removal from the plane there and then. They were still on the ground, so the police would have been there within minutes of a call from the cockpit. How on earth did they allow this to go on for an hour and a half, and only then ‘resolve’ it by having innocent passengers ‘agree’ to leave? Aegean for the boycott list, methinks.

• John O
        January 10, 2016, 3:07 pm

@MDM
        “Exactly. They weren’t worried about ‘security’. They were just being racist, plan and simple.”

Quite. I thought of it far too late for when we discussed this earlier – in what the French call “l’esprit de l’escalier” (things you wish you’d said before you left the party). The captain should have ordered all passengers to disembark, then invited all to board again, with any who felt too “insecure/threatened”to do so to find their own way home.

6. Steve Grover
    January 8, 2016, 7:04 pm

• Steve Grover
      January 8, 2016, 7:12 pm

January 9, 2016, 12:31 am

“Please note that this is the only negative comment I have made about Israel on MW.”

Oh, I think Israel can stand a ‘bad hit’ and NUPV or two.

• talknic
      January 8, 2016, 11:21 pm

@ Steve Grover “I am disappointed at Israel for not knowing who Horowitz is and not tossing his ass out of the country”

Uh huh.

“… open the gates of the homeland wide to every Jew http://pages.citebite.com/j2i2x2i6a5ruf

“… guarantee freedom of religion, conscience , language, education and culture” http://pages.citebite.com/j2k1y9o6a9hyd

• Steve Grover
        January 9, 2016, 9:57 am

talknic,
        How come you and your fellow BDSholes aren’t bitchin’ a storm about horowitz goin’ to Israel? I mean ain’t that violation of BDS rule numeral uno? He is spending money in the “Zionist Entity”. I mean he could have flown into Jordan. Did horowitz violate BDS for a cheaper flight into Israel? You should be demanding an investigation!

• eljay
        January 9, 2016, 11:13 am

|| Steve Grover: … How come you and your fellow BDSholes aren’t bitchin’ a storm about horowitz goin’ to Israel? … ||

As long as he’s going there to document the on-going evils of Zio-supremacism, more power to him.

It’s so terribly sad that the bright lights of investigative journalism make you Zio-supremacists scurry… :-(

January 9, 2016, 11:55 am

“How come you and your fellow BDSholes”

“Steve Grover, please, please, for the sake of tribal unity and our reputation, please stop letting the Mods make you look so stupid.

• Steve Grover
        January 9, 2016, 1:58 pm

Mooser,

January 9, 2016, 4:07 pm

“Why do you take time out of your busy day commenting on MW to comment on my “stupid” posts?”

“Steve” you are right, I don’t really have time for it, I make time for it.

• talknic
        January 9, 2016, 5:31 pm

@ Steve Grover “How come you and your fellow BDSholes aren’t bitchin’ a storm about horowitz goin’ to Israel? I mean ain’t that violation of BDS rule numeral uno?”

Cite this alleged ‘rule’ … thx

“He is spending money in the “Zionist Entity”

BDS is against making money from illegal activities and the illegal exploitation of resources in the Occupied Territories

” I mean he could have flown into Jordan”

Why?

“Did horowitz violate BDS for a cheaper flight into Israel?”

You have some inside information on his flight? Which airline did he fly Steve? http://www.goisrael.com/Tourism_Eng/Tourist%20Information/Planning%20your%20trip/Getting%20There/Pages/Air%20Travel%20from%20the%20U.S.%20to%20Israel.aspx

” You should be demanding an investigation!”

You’re the one bitching

• Steve Grover
        January 9, 2016, 5:58 pm

So talknic does this mean you are planning a trip to Israel?

• talknic
        January 9, 2016, 8:30 pm

@ Steve Grover ” … does this mean you are planning a trip to Israel?””

Now please cite the alleged ‘rule’ Steve

• Steve Grover
        January 10, 2016, 11:01 am

Why not?

January 10, 2016, 12:18 pm

“Why don’t you get on the phone and call Omar Barghouti and tell him you wanna go vacay in Israel?”

You know, “Grover”, you are simply dull, hateful, and immature when you comment sober. I like your ‘blackout commenting’ better.

• Steve Grover
        January 10, 2016, 7:14 pm

Its a good thing you’re hear to speak for ev’ryone…

January 10, 2016, 8:12 pm

“Its a good thing you’re hear to speak for ev’ryone…”

A drunkard’s dream, if I ever did see one!

• talknic
        January 10, 2016, 10:19 pm

The liar Steve Grover demonstrates why nothing a Zionist says should ever be trusted

Keep up the good work Steve

• Steve Grover
        January 11, 2016, 3:38 pm

Hey talknic,
        Here is a lie found on your YouTube page. If I called you a liar then my post wouldn’t get through. I am not as privileged here on MW as you are.

• Annie Robbins
        January 11, 2016, 4:06 pm

steve, why not just quote him and explain why you think whatever you’re referencing is a lie? also, posting OT campy video after video after video doesn’t mean we’ll publish them all.

January 11, 2016, 4:15 pm

” I am not as privileged here on MW as you are.”

What the hell do you think this is, Cripple Creek?

• talknic
        January 11, 2016, 5:46 pm

@ Steve Grover “Here is a lie found on your YouTube page”

Israel didn’t bomb Gaza? AMAZING!

” If I called you a liar then my post wouldn’t get through.”

You just called me a liar Steve and it did get thru. But there’s no evidence of a lie on my part? Israel DID bomb Gaza! Israel does engage in war!

You claimed there was a rule, I asked you to “Cite this alleged ‘rule’ … thx “, you haven’t. You can’t. You lied.

I am not as privileged here on MW as you are”

January 11, 2016, 6:38 pm

“You appear to have the privilege of lying, making false accusations and still being able to post”

“Talknic”, I don’t like it either, but really, what can we do? Unfortunately, not a single Zionist who doesn’t do those things has come forward to augment, let alone replace, the current crew.

So, unless there would be no “Zionist voices” at all (eliciting all your great replies!!!) on Mondo, we gotta go with the Zionist commenters we got, not the Zionist commenters we wish we had.

January 9, 2016, 12:30 am

“I am disappointed at Israel for not knowing who Horowitz is and not tossing his ass out of the country.”

Have you tried e-mailing? No wait, here’s the phone#,
      call 1-8JE-WSN-ITCH, to report kapos and mosers.

• a blah chick
      January 9, 2016, 12:32 pm

Yep, that’s some warm and fuzzy democracy there!

• Steve Grover
        January 9, 2016, 4:04 pm

There are democracies. But none of ’em are warm and fuzzy. Lots a politicians yellin’ at each other. Why should Israel be different?

January 9, 2016, 1:59 pm

Feh! Another Paderewski fan heard from. Real chosids, those Paderewskiites. (Or is that choosids? “RoHa” would know)

7. Steve Grover
    January 8, 2016, 7:52 pm

It is possible that I am wrong and the Israeli government is a lot smarter than me. They probably know who Horowitz is. They know that he and Weiss and MW are insignificant fools and are nothing to worry about.

• gamal
      January 8, 2016, 8:04 pm

“I am disappointed at Israel ”

“the only negative comment I have made about Israel ”

” I am wrong and the Israeli government is a lot smarter than me.”

The prodigal returns, from a short but terrifying journey.

• Rashers2
        January 9, 2016, 12:08 pm

+1, gamal:-)

• Kay24
      January 8, 2016, 8:56 pm

What is worse is you get insignificant fools coming here and spewing unbelievable nonsense, that they may be even paid to do. It is obvious that they worry about Horowitz, Weiss, and MDW, or else they will not be here now would they?

• Steve Grover
        January 8, 2016, 9:18 pm

Kay,
        Mooser pays me $50/post I get passed Annie.

• James North
        January 8, 2016, 9:50 pm

“Grober”: Is English your first language?

• Steve Grover
        January 8, 2016, 10:39 pm

Sorry Jimbo, I don’t speak your language of Israel/Jew hatred. That is why you asked your question.

• James North
        January 8, 2016, 10:52 pm

“Grober”: I asked about your native language because there’s an error in your comment to Kay. Mooser may explain it to you.

January 8, 2016, 11:45 pm

“Mooser pays me $50/post I get passed Annie.”

“Mondo” should send you a gift, “Stevie”. They really should. If you didn’t exist, somebody might get banned for inventing you.

• eljay
      January 9, 2016, 12:13 am

|| Steve Grover: It is possible that I am wrong and the Israeli government is a lot smarter than me. … ||

Two “zingers” in one sentence. Nicely done.

• Theo
        January 9, 2016, 9:39 am

I would like to say the following:

1. A good political discussion needs different viewpoints, otherwise it becomes a ladies` “Kaffeeklutsch” when everyone agrees with the statements of others. Yes, you are right, ditto from me, also my opinion, etc., what is rather common at MW. Only old women do that.

2. Not everyone in this world had the chance to attend pink fine universities like Harvard, Yale, Oxford, etc. and studied english literature, (good 80% of the US population cannot speak or write a proper english), therefore these constant attacks on the english of a commenter I find very pitiful. There are also commenters whose first language is not english, therefore all you criticisers, how many languages do you speak better than your mother tongue?
        There are educated persons who may not care what Plato said 3,000 years ago, but able to take us to the moon, design your next smartphone or make sure that you have a safe life.

• Bumblebye
        January 9, 2016, 1:51 pm

Theo, unless your name ends -dora, you have just outed yourself as a misogynist along with your other faults! Your point #1 is deeply insulting to perhaps half the commenters on mw.

• Annie Robbins
        January 10, 2016, 1:44 pm

Only old women do that

theo, you might try internalizing what bumblebye said before doubling down on an excuse or denial of it.

January 10, 2016, 2:21 pm

“theo, you might try…”

Annie, a man can’t fight his custard! Ask any military man, the world over “What’s the best defense?” and what will the answer be?

• gamal
        January 10, 2016, 2:53 pm

“Only old women do that.”

well what do you expect little girls only giggle and play with dolls

• Annie Robbins
        January 10, 2016, 3:21 pm

incredible!!!

• RoHa
        January 10, 2016, 6:03 pm

That would be a very well executed kata regardless of who performed it. From a seven year old it is very impressive.

(The high side kicks could be a bit snappier, but I wouldn dare tell her that. She’d beat the crap out of me.)

January 9, 2016, 4:32 pm

“It is possible that I am wrong and the Israeli government is a lot smarter than me.”

“Steveie”, landsmann, don’t run yourself down like that! I’m sure the Israeli government is no smarter than you are.

• Kay24
        January 9, 2016, 8:58 pm

It is because they are not smart they are one of the most disliked nations in the world.

No one likes a nation that is arrogant, ignores international laws, has an on going occupation, keeps stealing lands, and kills civilians so easily.

For what they lack in smarts they make up for with cunning.

8. jaypali
    January 8, 2016, 9:52 pm

I wish I can spray myself with something that does not give off my Palestinian scent when I travel thru Ben gurion. Last time I was there it was amazing how they put Palestinians to one side. I had not even handed them my passport yet. Or perhaps the time back in the late 90s are flight out of the states was delayed on our way to Toronto and our tickets were sold because they did not think we would make it in time. So air canda threw us on the next flight to London where we would board el al airlines and be on our way to tel aviv. I was 15 at the time, my three younger brothers , and my mom were trying to get on the plane. Well they saw my mom’s scarf and saw the four little snakes she was trying to board on the plane and told us “for your own safety we can’t allow you to board.” I remember thinking that they must take us for fools. They also told us that they only had one boarding pass for us. The computer only registered one of our names for boarding passes. Without giving you all the terrorist names in my family that of course includes the name mohammad , ironically my mom was the only one who got in el al’s system for boarding passes. My mom’s name is linda lol which shows you even el al’s computer is racist.

9. JLewisDickerson
    January 9, 2016, 12:48 am

RE: “Over the last several years some of the most important stories we’ve run in Mondoweiss have been people’s nightmarish experiences in Ben Gurion airport. Most have been Palestinian Americans sharing their stories of being interrogated, strip searched, humiliated, detained and prevented from visiting their homeland. Other stories have been aid workers barred from entering to help Palestinian communities under occupation. And there have also been stories of students and even musicians who have been kept out of Israel/Palestine on the whim of the young Israeli solider or border agent.” ~ Adam Horowitz

MY COMMENT: Much of this (especially the interrogations) is right out of Fellini’s 1973 film Amarcord (1973), but without the humorous aspect.
    I sh�t you not!
    Of course, the Israelis have developed such advanced, sophisticated means of humiliation they need not resort to Castor Oil (used by the Italian fascists to humiliate their prey by “making them sh�t themselves”).
    Some might say this is an improvement, but I say “Gimme me that Old-Time Humiliation”!
    Give me that old-time humiliation,
    Give me that old-time humiliation,
    Give me that old-time humiliation,
    It’s good enough for me.

I’m serious y’all.
    Really, I am.
    Honest, I’m not shi��in’ ya!

Mussolini’s Secret Weapon: Castor Oil –http://www.strangehistory.net/2014/11/03/mussolinis-secret-weapon-castor-oil/
    ■ WIKIPEDIA – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_oil#Punishment

10. Katie Miranda
    January 9, 2016, 2:34 am

Just wow.

11. ivri
    January 9, 2016, 10:20 am

Profiling may appear racist but there is nothing of that in the way of intentions. It`s all about Statistics, common sense and optimizing performance. If you have X money to thwart a threat, which may come from 2 sources A and B and historical data shows their respective contribution to be 99% and 1%, respectively – would you spend your budget half-half (and be politically correct if people are involved) on the two sources?

• John O
      January 9, 2016, 10:44 am

As I learned long ago on a racism awareness course, your intentions are irrelevant; it’s the effect that matters. If your profiling results in categorising people by race, then it’s racist.

• ivri
        January 9, 2016, 5:09 pm

John O
        The problem is that there is a clash between 2 values here (which is usually the problem, except that sometimes the other one is less obvious). In this case, on one hand thee is your point but then there is on the other hand the counter point that spending money in an irrational way results from a performance angle in a no less troubling and concrete consequence – namely, less terror acts will be prevented per $ spent. Or, in other words, there will be more innocent victims. Now go and explain to their families your rationale.

12. echinococcus
    January 9, 2016, 10:40 am

Ivri,
    What a disaster you must be for the Zionist propaganda division!
    You had to again put that foot in your mouth. If statistics, common sense and optimizing performance are paramount, then any Jewish person, be it self-described, religious or only in the family name would be automatically very highly suspect of being a Zionist criminal. Just because of the statistics… 95% or so they say support Zionist crimes against humanity, and a negligibly small minority of honest people oppose them. Better, 95% or so of the Zionist entity Master race citizens explicitly want the massacre or expulsion of the owners of the entire territory; so it would be logical, in your logic of statistics, common sense and optimized performance, to advocate the annihilation of them all without checking individually.You wouldn’t hesitate, eh? Is that what you want, to have all Jews accused and convicted of invasion, aggression genocide and other crimes against humanity on the basis of an accident of birth? No “antisemitism” intended, just statistics and optimization!
    I suppose you’ll continue your crusade until you get just that.

January 9, 2016, 1:53 pm

” Is that what you want, to have all Jews accused and convicted of invasion, aggression genocide and other crimes against humanity on the basis of an accident of birth? No “antisemitism” intended, just statistics and optimization!”

Hooray! Tribal Unity at last!

13. Herchel
    January 9, 2016, 12:22 pm

Here’s a story you’ll never see on MW – Horowitz goes to Yemen or Pakistan or Saudi Arabia, is interrogated for 6 hours and denied entry to the county while thousands of others with “Arab privilege” sail though customs because their name is “mohammed”. Nope, you won’t see that here. Here’s something that might have escaped your attention: dorky looking Jews named Horowitz aren’t the ones blowing up cafes and stabbing Jewish children in the streets. Israel’s existence is under attack 24/7; it cannot waste its precious resources scrutinizing Woody Allen wannabe’s at the airport in the name of political correctness.

January 9, 2016, 1:46 pm

” Here’s something that might have escaped your attention: dorky looking Jews named Horowitz aren’t the ones blowing up cafes and stabbing Jewish children in the streets. Israel’s existence is under attack 24/7;”

Psst, “Herchel” we don’t want to emphasize how badly and deliberately the Zionists have failed to fulfill any of their promises, do we? You might want to dial it back a bit.

• echinococcus
      January 9, 2016, 3:19 pm

“Dorky looking people”, several of them surely named Horowitz (the Jewishness of whom does not interest me, and is left to you to judge), have been blowing up entire apartment buildings, hospitals, schools, UN refuges, beaches, hotels, scattering thousands of people to the wind in little pieces, burning them alive, and doing various other nice things to them. The total numbers are staggering, add to this the maimed, the tortured, the homeless, the refugees, over several generations. The enjoyment you get out of it is obvious but I am not writing to berate you for this –after all, each one of us gets off as he can, so why begrudge you this little pleasure?
      The point was, the moment any victim is Jewish (according to you, natch) you are no more having pleasure and suddenly you lose it. One really wonders what should be done with guys of your type: I feel extremely unsafe as long as you are in the States, but exporting you as illegal immigrants to Palestine is even worse. I have no solution.

• Annie Robbins
      January 9, 2016, 6:17 pm

i don’t think adam looks dorky. maybe a tad nerdy, but the 2 don’t mean the same thing and lots of very handsome men are a tad nerdy. i don’t think it’s nice to go after someones appearance like that. and while you didn’t exactly say he looks like a dork, you kinda implied it.

and if you think jews with names like horowitz are not committing vicious violent atrocities, you’d be wrong.

have you seen closeups of some of the photos of some of the hilltop youth jewish terrorists? i can’t stand those kids but no one around here went after their facial features as i recall.

January 9, 2016, 7:50 pm

“i don’t think adam looks dorky. maybe a tad nerdy,”

Everything was going great for Adam, he flew in and he’s in like Flynn, first class-hotel, flowers in the room huge bouquet spelling out “Welcome Horowitz”.
        He thought he had it made until they sat him down at the concert grand and said “Now, Vladimir, some Rachmaninoff, please!”

• Sibiriak
        January 9, 2016, 9:04 pm

Annie Robbins: i don’t think adam looks dorky. maybe a tad nerdy, but the 2 don’t mean the same thing….
        ————————–

Indeed they don’t. Venn diagrams can be useful in this regard.

• Annie Robbins
        January 9, 2016, 11:08 pm

thanks Sibiriak ;)

• Froggy
        January 10, 2016, 1:15 am

Annie :: ” i can’t stand those kids but no one around here went after their facial features as i recall.”

My kids would be delighted to go after those bullies and re-arrange their facial features. ;)

• Annie Robbins
        January 10, 2016, 1:47 am

lol

• RoHa
        January 10, 2016, 2:05 am

Froggy, Annie!

Principal’s office.

Now!

January 11, 2016, 4:18 pm

I did. Most of the males could use a trip to the Wailing Wahl!

• eljay
      January 10, 2016, 9:22 am

|| Herchel: Here’s a story you’ll never see on MW … ||

…although you’ll see it on other news sites. Why do those other news sites single out Yemen or Pakistan or Saudi Arabia?

More importantly, why does the “moral beacon”, “light unto the nations” and “Western-style democracy” of Israel insist on emulating Yemen or Pakistan or Saudi Arabia?

|| … Here’s something that might have escaped your attention: … ||

… Zio-supremacist Jews continue to be the people stealing, occupying and colonizing Palestinian land and oppressing, torturing and killing Palestinians. Palestine’s existence has been under attack 24/7 for almost 70 years.

14. olive52
    January 9, 2016, 1:13 pm

I wonder what kind of welcome he would get if he tried entering any of the other ‘peaceful’ Middle Eastern countries.

• diasp0ra
      January 9, 2016, 4:31 pm

A regular one.

Because unlike Israel they don’t ask you for your religion when you land.

• Froggy
        January 10, 2016, 1:18 am

True that, Diasp0ra.

15. DaBakr
    January 9, 2016, 1:34 pm

Wow.

16. Theo
    January 9, 2016, 1:46 pm

Herchel

“Israels´s existence is under attack 24/7 .”

Boy, oh boy, it must be terrible to live in a constant nighmare 24/7, however let me clear up this problem for you.
    After the 1948 war, when the jews grabbed a great part of Palestina that was not given to the State of Israel, therefore being the aggressors, you never ever been under an attack of any sort. Perhaps the seagulls dropped a few unpleasant bombs on your beloved land.
    On the other hand you attacked and bombed every single arab land in your neighbourhood several times, since 1967 occupy the whole of Palestina, send killer troops as far as Dubai, Paris and Oslo, just to name a few, to kill palestinian politicians.
    So relax, noone is trying to kill you, you are the ones who do the killing and occupation. Stop doing it, abide with all the UN sanctions and voilá, you will sleep better.

17. genesto
    January 9, 2016, 2:12 pm

Adam, did the agent also ask you if you were interested in meeting a nice Jewish girl and settling down in Israel? As you might recall, that’s what happened to Max Blumenthal in his Goliath book, to which he blushed and shyly, and disengenuously, responded that it was a possibility. In fact, he was on his way to chronicle the rampant, deep-seated racism in Israeli society, which became the book. But, because he is of Ashkenazi Jewish heritage, no one interrogated him to determine his real motive for entering Israel. Now, that’s REAL exceptionalism – and racism – at work!

• Froggy
      January 10, 2016, 3:10 am

It’s a bit like playing a rigged game of *Snakes and Ladders, with the officials making certain that the Jews are in a position to climb the ladders, and the goyische snakes being made to slip down the chutes thus falling behind and incurring loss.

*Snakes and Ladders is the game the Americans call Chutes and Ladders

• RoHa
        January 10, 2016, 4:25 am

“*Snakes and Ladders is the game the Americans call Chutes and Ladders ”

I told you Amercans were crazy.

18. Ossinev
    January 9, 2016, 5:53 pm

@Herchel
    “dorky looking Jews named Horowitz”. Sounds very anti semitic to me particularly when you infer that Mr Allen is also a “dorky looking Jew” – well up there with the classic “hook nosed Fagin”. Are you self denying , self loathing , a mixture of both or just plain confused by the complexity of the Hasbara manual index ?

I suspect the latter – but please hang in there with your cross referencing. It makes for such a good fun read for MW`rs and it will take your mind off the 24/7 onslaught.