Netanyahu comes to Trump meeting under pressure to kill Palestinian state

US Politics

In two days time, there will likely be some clarity over President Donald Trump’s ever-evolving stance on Israeli settlements, and whether or not he will pursue moving the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem.

After exchanges of mutual admiration, over social media, in relation to Israel’s wall as a harbinger of the U.S. policy with Mexico, Trump and Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu are due to meet in person tomorrow for the first time since inauguration. They are expected to discuss the future of U.S.-Israel relations, and key points that could dash Palestinian aspirations for statehood.

Speaking to reporters at the tarmac in Israel yesterday morning, Netanyahu gave his last comments on Trump before the Feb. 15 sit-down in Washington DC, stating, “The alliance between Israel and America has always been extremely strong. It’s about to get even stronger.”

“President Trump and I see eye to eye on the dangers emanating from the region but also on the opportunities. And we’ll talk about both, as well as upgrading the relations between Israel and the United States in many, many fields,” he said.

In advance of the head to head, Netanyahu had a flurry of sessions with advisors in his cabinet, officials in national security, the top-ranks of the foreign ministry, as well as one high-profile Republican funder who is also a staunch supporter of Netanyahu.

Reportedly the big issues right-wing leaders in Israel want Netanyahu to advance in his talk with Trump are increasing settlement construction, announcing an official end to the two-state negotiations process with the Palestinians, and promoting the move of the U.S. embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. While the contents of the discussions Netanyahu held are confidential, he did disclose in a statement yesterday that there was “great excitement” among those he consulted.

Reports out of Israel are sharply contradictory on Netanyahu’s plans.

Netanyahu will use the sessions in Washington as an opportunity to lobby Trump against Palestinian statehood, according to unnamed sources quoted by the pro-settler outlet Arutz Sheva. The news outlet gets funding from a charity run by David Friedman, who is Trump’s pick for U.S. ambassador to Israel.

“Sources privy to the meeting told Arutz Sheva that Jewish Home ministers Naftali Bennett and Ayelet Shaked called upon Netanyahu to make clear to President Trump he intends to renounce the two-state solution, the Prime Minister allegedly warned them Israel must avoid any possible clashes with Trump,” Arutz Sheva reported.

On Facebook, Bennett, the right-wing Knesset member and head of the Jewish Home party, elaborated, “the two words ‘Palestinian state’ are a historic disaster.”

The Times of Israel reported Bennett also said Netanyahu must avoid stating by name “an obligation to establish Palestine or ‘two states’ in some or other iteration, [or] we will all feel it in our flesh for years to come. It will be an earthquake.”

However, Netanyahu was said to have prepared an offer to re-start negotiations without preconditions that he would then present to Trump. Palestinians in the past have rejected this offer stating they want to return to peace talks when Israel agrees to a settlement freeze.

Arutz Sheva added Netanyahu is not confident that Trump will support an increase in settlement construction in the West Bank.

Since Trump took office Israel approved a spike in numbers of settlement units, more than 6,000, and passed a controversial law that legalizes Israeli takeovers of Palestinian lands in the occupied territory.

“Anyone who believes construction will be unrestricted in the new era is mistaken,” Arutz Sheva reported Trump said, relayed by a source who was in one of the pre-Washington meetings.

Meanwhile, Haaretz reported earlier last week Netanyahu sat with Sheldon Adelson, the casino mogul and billionaire funder to the GOP who has backed both Trump and Netanyahu. The two reportedly discussed Adelson’s stance against the creation of a Palestinian state, the possible move of the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem, and online gambling.

Adelson was also reported to have had dinner at the White House with Trump last week.

Although generally considered to be more in line with Israel’s hardliners than his predecessor, Trump’s precise views on Israeli settlements have been muddied by conflicting remarks made between the campaign and his presidency. Initially, Trump came out as ambivalent on Israeli construction in the occupied Palestinian territory, then he became an ardent supporter as the November election neared. But in recent days, Trump has walked back his once full support for Israeli building in the West Bank.

Trump elaborated in an interview with Israel Hayom last week, a first to Israeli media since his inauguration (the paper is owned by Adelson):

On the embassy, he also said the move to Jerusalem was not a done deal:

I am studying the embassy [issue], and we will see what happens. The embassy is not an easy decision.

What is clear is that Trump and Netanyahu have mutual admiration. Trump described their relationship as more than positive. “I have always liked him,” when asked if the two have “good chemistry.”

In fact, Trump and Netanyahu have known each other nearly four decades, becoming aquatinted in New York when Netanyahu was starting his political career as an ambassador to the UN and Trump was a young real estate businessman, reported the Washington Post.

Netanyahu also knew the president’s father, Fred Trump, according to the Post.

About Allison Deger

Allison Deger is the Assistant Editor of Mondoweiss.net. Follow her on twitter at @allissoncd.

1. Citizen
    February 14, 2017, 12:28 pm

Is Trump meeting with any Palestinian leader? I read various Palestinian leaders tried in vain for months to meet with Trump & they were not even given a response from Team Trump; only about a week ago, some low level Trump regime folks met with some Palestinian peers.

So the King-maker Adelson met privately with Trump (& Bibi) recently, Adelson, the guy said he wished had worn an IDF uniform instead of a US one, who had praised his son, hoping he’d be an IDF sniper, who had called for dropping the bomb in a desert in Iran…that anti-union, casino operator…handsome dude.

2. Ossinev
    February 14, 2017, 1:14 pm

“In fact, Trump and Netanyahu have known each other nearly four decades, becoming aquatinted in New York when Netanyahu was starting his political career as an ambassador to the UN and Trump was a young real estate businessman, reported the Washington Post”

I assume that the “aquatinted” is a typo. Certainly Trump is “tinted” an orangy sort of colour by something.Being exposed to too much gold ornatery perhaps ?

The Yahoo methinks will have to be on his best behaviour . If Donald steps out of the Zionist line in a joint press session he will not be able to do his you are just an Untermenschen Oik routine and give a lecture on Jewish “history” as he did with the squirming Obama. Donald would terminate the session and flick him away with a follow up “what self important p…k on Twitter”

No I think we will see the Yahoo at his Arslikhan best – not something he is comfortable with having been bottle fed on US poodling to Israel since the dawn of the Land of Creation.

Interesting times ahead in the US/Israel relationship.Especially with Herr Bennett raving manically on the sidelines.

As for the 2SS = history. Sooner or later the Yahoo will be leaning so far to the right he will fall over and Bennett and Co will be officially in charge of the asylum.

3. JWalters
    February 14, 2017, 8:36 pm

So, “the big issues right-wing leaders in Israel want Netanyahu to advance in his talk with Trump” boil down to –

1. escalating Israel’s war with Muslims

2. dragging the U.S. further into its war.

Today’s conflict between the Muslim world and the U.S. was predicted by both the U.S. Secretaries of State and Defense back in the 1940’s as an inevitable consequence of the U.S. supporting the manipulated and violent Zionist establishment of Israel. e.g. “War Profiteers and the Roots of the War on Terror” for readers who haven’t seen it.

4. JLewisDickerson
    February 15, 2017, 1:46 am

RE: “The alliance between Israel and America has always been extremely strong. It’s about to get even stronger.” ~ Netanyhu

MY SNARKCASM: Just like the alliance once was between America and apartheid-era South Africa! ! !

5. JLewisDickerson
    February 15, 2017, 2:11 am

RE: “Netanyahu and his wife Sara board flight to US

MY SNARKCASM: I imagine the return flight will be loaded down with plenty of “leaves”, and lots of “pink”!

• JLewisDickerson
      February 15, 2017, 3:36 am

Lemme hear you say ooooo, ooooo, can’t keep it bottled up.
      Lemme hear you say ooooo, ooooo, can’t keep it bottled up.
      Make it pop like pink champagne in the purple rain.
      We’re gonna paint, paint, paint the city, and gonna show off all our pretty, pretty.
      And pink champagne, let ’em know our names.
      Screamin’ so loud, they’ll hear us in LA.
      We’re poppin’ like pink champagne, (ehhhh, ehhhh)
      we’re poppin’ like pink champagne, (ehhhh, ehhhh)
      we’re poppin’ like pink champagne!

6. mcohen.
    February 15, 2017, 5:46 am

good idea

7. eljay
    February 15, 2017, 8:58 am

… Trump … : “They [settlements] don’t help the process. I can say that. There is so much land left. And every time you take land for settlements, there is less land left. But we are looking at that, and we are looking at some other options we’ll see. But no, I am not somebody that believes that going forward with these settlements is a good thing for peace.”

It’s mighty nice of him to strongly condemn Israel’s blatant colonialism and on-going (war) criminal activity make vague statements about how:
    – the settlements don’t help the [peace] process; and
    – his administration is looking at “that” – whatever “that” is – as well as “other options we’ll see”.

8. Kaisa of Finland
    February 15, 2017, 10:58 am

Before Turmp got elected and I found this blog, I always thought that the realtionship between U.S. and Israel was part of both countries forgein policies: Israel as U.S.’s closest allie in the Middle East and on the other hand U.S. as Israels closest allie against those countries Israel feared were it’s enemies.. (note, I am not saying those fears were realistic, but just as the situation was presented to me by the israelis I knew/know..)

Since starting to find out more about these “Kushner-like-people” in U.S., I am confused..

Has Israel just become an another state of U.S., owned By rich zionist jews of United States?? Those normal hard working israelis I know, could never have had such an influence on the politics of “their own country” as the rich zionists in U.S. do..

Really confusing and sad to say, the fate of the palestinians seems even worse now..

Could someone help me to understand the whole picture??

9. Kaisa of Finland
    February 15, 2017, 11:10 am

• RoHa
      February 15, 2017, 12:27 pm

“ally (= liittolainen in finnish!!!”

And this, perhaps, explains why I forgot the few words of Finnish I managed to learn,

Though I still regret it.

• Kaisa of Finland
        February 16, 2017, 2:52 pm

Dear RoHa: I am a language lover so I do not get affended By your remarks.

I’ll give you some finnish, since you’ve forgotten what you once learned, but since we are on this blog, I’ll keep it somehow connected to the subject:

“Olen vapaan maan kansalainen ja siksi minulla on ollut vapaus valita.”

= I am a citizen of a free country and that’s why I have had the freedom to choose.

(olla=to be, vapaa=free, maa=a country, kansalainen=a citizen, ja=and, siksi=that is why, minä=I, vapaus=freedom, valita=to choose)

a hint: olen= I am, and: we do not have prepositons, but instead of that 14 different postpositions (cases in english?) used in both substantive and adjective fex. citizen of a free country= vapaaN maaN kansalainen, from a free country=vapaaSTA maaSTA, to a free country=vapaaSEEN maaHAN and so on..

just to give you a very simple idea :-)

• echinococcus
        February 16, 2017, 4:22 pm

Kaisa,

Thanks for the pleasant reminder. I only worked a couple months in Joensuu, some 45 years ago, but I now read and got your text without kibitzing once. Only good memories; the girls full of song and humor, and the remaining people so friendly.

Strictly speaking, the endings / postpositions of Finno-Ugric and Altaic languages are not counted as cases, even though many have the same function as declined cases.

• Kaisa of Finland
        February 17, 2017, 3:35 am

echinococcus: ..”are not counted as cases”.. Thanks! I had no idea what to call them in english.. so just postpositions..

And you might have even met my relatives in Joensuu, since my father’s family is from there.. Finland is such a small country ;-)

• RoHa
        February 17, 2017, 8:05 am

Love it. Thank you.

I hope one day I can get round to learning a bit more Finnish. I love the sound of it.

The question of case ending or postposition is the sort of thing that leads to unseemly brawls in bars where linguists gather.

The case endings of Latin and Russian are clearly case endings. Both nouns and adjectives are declined. The endings vary according to the class of noun or adjective.

The postpositions of Japanese are clearly postpositions. They are invariant, and are regarded by native speakers as separate words. They follow the nouns, not the adjectives.

A lot of Finnish endings look like postpositions (yes, I remember a bit of the grammar) but they are attached to nouns and adjectives, and follow the rules of vowel harmony. For these reasons I would call them case endings.

But I’m not going to say that in a bar.

• Kaisa of Finland
        February 17, 2017, 11:07 am

RoHa: “..are attached to nouns and adjectives, and follow the rules of vowel harmony..”

Yes.. Since I am not a language teacher, this has always been the most difficult thing for me to explain to the non-native speakers who wish to learn some finnish: There are rules for those endings, but then again since the endings follow the vowel harmony, in the end you just have to hear the correct way to each word separetly..
        But I quess that’s how languages are, rules and then lot of exceptions to those rules.. Well, I love them anyway.. or maybe just because of that..

• echinococcus
        February 17, 2017, 1:34 pm

RoHa,

You’re welcome to say that in my watering hole –provided you buy a couple extra rounds for your absolution.

As for using postpositions or whatever you call it, vowel harmony only starts to explore the modulation. Then comes consonant adaptation (seems to be of two kinds, really) –this just for beginners.

• echinococcus
        February 17, 2017, 1:44 pm

Kaisa,

By all means, call (some of) these postpositions “cases” if needed to appease a certain type of linguist. Problem is, you’ll have to learn what to call each type of case, genitive, allative, illative, ablative etc., and that’s no joke. Anyway, thanks for a moment of relief.

• Kaisa of Finland
        February 17, 2017, 2:40 pm

echinococcus and RoHa:

I must admit, I have always been really lazy with theoretical grammar and I’ve learned most of the languages I know By practice.. So about those postpositions, I only remember this list we had to learn in primary school in finnish, I do not know if you are able to get something out of it, but there are those certain different endings to each of them and they are attached to nouns and adjectives, and then follow the rules of vowel harmony sometimes changing some vowels even in the “basic word” before them:

nominatiivi (basic form)
        genetiivi (-n)
        partitiivi (-a/ä)
        essiivi (-na/ -nä)
        translatiivi (-ksi)
        inessiivi (-ssa/-ssä)
        elatiivi (-sta/-stä)
        illatiivi (-aan/ään)
        adessiivi (-lla/-llä)
        ablatiivi (-lta/-ltä)
        allatiivi (-lle)
        abessiivi (-tta/-ttä)
        komitatiivi (-ineen)
        intstruktiivi (-in)
        + akkusatiivi (-n /which is some kind of exeption, just can’t remember rigth now what..)

It would be nice to know, what they should be called in english.. In finnish they are “sijamuodot” which in dictionary is translated to cases, but then again, there are also things that can not be straightly translated to other languages.. So it would be interesting to hear what you both are thinking about it..

(And I am sorry, that this has nothing to do with the blog itself, I have not forgotten it..)

• echinococcus
        February 17, 2017, 3:14 pm

Kaisa,

English and Finnish being practically the same language, you just call them on the pattern partitiivi > partitive, akkusatiivi > accusative… That said, when you try to teach someone by using words like illative-allative-ablative to explain what they are, good luck. And yes, the rules are quite nicely regular, so they are very easy to learn… except what to use them for. OK, I suppose we did stray away from Palestine quite a bit.

• RoHa
        February 18, 2017, 11:42 am

Not really relevant to the I/P problem, but language can be interesting, and we have discussed linguistic issues before. English is, of course, the only language the world needs, but for historical reasons

Classical Arabic, I am given to understand, prefers the VSO order, but can also use the SVO order. But Welsh is less flexible. Either the main verb or (for periphrastic tenses) the verb “to be” must come before the subject. You have to beat a Welshman with a stick to make him put the subject first.*
        Weirdos like the ancient Romans and the Japanese like to leave the verb till the end of the sentence. Germans do the same with participles, which is very German of them.
        You’d expect the Chinese to be sensible, and a lot of the time they are. SVO is standard. But frequently, for creepy Oriental reasons known only to themselves, they use a 把 construction to produce an SOV sentence.

And that’s just a start. There are much stranger things in the linguistic woods.

(*This is probably a good thing to do to a Welshman regardless of where he puts his verbs.)

• Sibiriak
        February 18, 2017, 1:03 pm

RoHa: Sensible people, such as the Russians, put the verb between the subject and the object. (SVO)
        —————

You apparently know very little about the Russian language.

Nevertheless, я тебя люблю.

• Sibiriak
        February 18, 2017, 1:46 pm

@RoHa

Russian has a very flexible word order. Here’s a very typical Russian sentence:

Я ничего не знаю.

I nothing not know. = “I don’t know anything.” Double negative. SOV.

The Russian cases allow the flexible order. For example:

Очень грустную картину про Российскую Атлантиду нарисовал нам А Деряин.

“A very sad picture of the Russian Atlantis painted for us A. Deryain.”

Direct Object (accusative case) –Verb— Indirect Object (dative case)–Subject (nominative case)

February 18, 2017, 2:06 pm

“many people end up speaking in all sorts of peculiar ways, and doing really funny things with the words. Verb placement is a good example.”

The Scotch and the Irish leave you close to tears. There even are places where English completely disappears! (Why, in America, they haven’t used it for years! )
        Why can’t the English teach their children how to speak? Norwegians learn Norwegian; the Greeks have taught their Greek. In France every Frenchman knows his language fro “A” to “Zed” (The French never care what they do, actually, As long as they pronounce in properly.)
        Arabians learn Arabian with the speed of summer lightning. And Hebrews learn it backwards, which is absolutely frightening!
        But use proper English you’re regarded as a freak.

Tomorrow, “RoHa” will tackle the question “Why can’t a woman be more like a man?”

• RoHa
        February 18, 2017, 3:05 pm

So the Russians aren’t as sensible as I thought. What is the most common patter? SOV? VSO? OVS?

(Even languages with fairly invariant word order do have variations. Restrictive clauses in English and Swedish often use the interrogative word order.)

• Kaisa of Finland
        February 18, 2017, 3:30 pm

RoHA:

:-) ! I am happy to have english as a somehow global language to make it easier for us to communicate with each other, but world would be a really boring place, if there only was one language on the whole planet. I have used my “broken english” to communicate with people from all over the world and I have also been able to learn other languages with the help of knowing some english.

By the way, I have studied arabic and it was so funny to find out that in arabic, there are similar structures to finnish, which do not excist in the other languages I speak or have studied.. So learning languages can also be full of surprises.. :-)

Anyway, in time to time there are some people (geniuses!!) here in Finland suggesting that we should just forget about finnish laguage and start to have all our teaching in english already in the primary school, ’cause finnish is such an unnecessary language in the world.. I do not get that kind of thinking at all.. Since we can easily learn more than two languages, why to stick to only one.. ?? Each language has it’s own “cultural context” to the world and it’s surroundings, so one will be easily able to widen one’s perspective to the world through understanding more languages than the one which might be the most usefull one.. So I’ll deffinately keep voting for cherishing as many different languages as we can!!

And I deffinately agree with you, when writing that language/s can be interesting.. They are!! I can easily “forget myself in translations..”

• Sibiriak
        February 18, 2017, 3:31 pm

RoHa: What is the most common patter? SOV? VSO? OVS?
        ———————-

SVO and SOV are both quite common. I’m not an expert, so I would hesitate to make any definitive statement.

• Kaisa of Finland
        February 18, 2017, 3:53 pm

RoHa: And in finnish it can be SVO or VSO depending on the sentence, but never V as the last one.

As in arabic, also in finnish we have the form

I lived in my house.

Asuin talossani.

Asu-i-n talo-ssa-ni.
        Asua=to live, i=past tense, -n=I, talo=a house, -ssa=in, -ni=my

But you can also use: Minä asuin talossani, that is, in most of the cases, correct too. (Minä also translated to I)

Hope you understood some of it.. Would be easier on a piece of real paper..

• Kaisa of Finland
        February 18, 2017, 4:32 pm

the same in arabic – trying to use the latin letters..

Sakantu fi baiti.

Sakan-tu fi bait-i

Sakana= he lived (used as the “root” form)

Sakantu=I lived, fi=in, bait=house (or home, suddenly I am not sure, but the function is the same),
        -i=my

February 18, 2017, 7:48 pm

“SVO and SOV are both quite common. I’m not an expert

Neither am I, but I tried VSOP once and it was very good.

• straightline
        February 18, 2017, 11:15 pm

SOV is the most common followed closely by SVO.

And I’m sure Mooser is aware that Scotch is something that shares a shelf with VSOP. “Scots” or “Scottish” are adjectives used to refer to the people of that realm.

• Talkback
        February 19, 2017, 4:17 am

SOV is the most common.

• RoHa
        February 19, 2017, 9:21 am

“but never V as the last one.”

Good. I get enough of SOV at home.

“also in finnish we have the form … (Minä also translated to I)”

Thanks. Much more interesting than all this hysteria about Trump, and easily as relevant to the I/P issue as most of it.

” Would be easier on a piece of real paper..”

Most things are.

February 19, 2017, 12:15 pm

“RoHa” it is up to us to set a good example to people whose English is painful to your ears!”

“RoHa”, should that be “a good example for people” (not “to people”)?

• Kaisa of Finland
        February 19, 2017, 1:16 pm

RoHa:

Well, Mister Trump has mostly been a joke in here in the North today. He had yeasterday in his speech made a reference to something that had happened in Sweden.. “In Sweden.. Who had believed..” Well no-one knows what he meant by that and the goverment of Sweden has been confusedly asking mister Trump, what did happen in Sweden yesterday, since they do not know.. ??

I wish Mr. Trump would have same enthusiasm when talking about the things his israelian allies are constantly doing in Palestine..

But I quess Mr. Trump preferes fake news..

February 19, 2017, 2:43 pm

.” “In Sweden.. Who had believed..”

There’s been quite a few incidents in Sweden.
        A horse, name of “Biscuit”, was rescued from a well.
        And some kind of popular music group had problems with the vocal system, which led to a delay in the concert.

The place is a regular maelstrom, I tell you.

• RoHa
        February 19, 2017, 3:41 pm

It has to be “for X” if X is followed by “to+ verb“.

“an example for us to follow”; “an example for him to learn from”; “an example for the students to think about”

Otherwise, as far as I can tell, both are acceptable. “To” seems to be more common. But, regardless of whether we set an example to or for the lower orders, let us make it a good one.

February 20, 2017, 1:34 pm

Thanks for the Exclusive advice.

• RoHa
        February 20, 2017, 3:26 pm

““In Sweden.. Who had believed..”

Fine bit of fake news, there. A number of newspapers are saying that Trump was claiming that there had been a terrorist attack in Sweden the previous day. Not so. He said nothing of the sort. What he said was pretty rambling and incoherent, and apparently was a reference to a TV program he saw the previous day, but the newspapers in question decided their version of his words was more exciting.

• eljay
      February 15, 2017, 12:44 pm

|| Kaisa of Finland: And before RoHa gets here: Ally, I meant ally (= liittolainen in finnish!!!) As you see I am trying my best here.. eh.. ||

I’m sure RoHa will accept your apology. He, like Dinsdale Piranha, is “a cruel man…but fair!” :-)

• RoHa
        February 16, 2017, 4:46 am

Cruel? I’m going soft in my old age. It’s been weeks since I last nailed anyone’s head to the floor.

10. genesto
    February 15, 2017, 12:29 pm

As with practically all other international affairs, Trump didn’t know a thing about the Israeli/Palestinian issue before he took office. His ignorance in this regard showed clearly when he said, unequivocally, during the campaign that he saw no problems with the settlements, that they weren’t responsible for the conflict. Now that he’s in office, and has been briefed somewhat on the issue, he’s backing away from this position, no doubt because he wants to satisfy the Arab despots that need to appease the masses by showing token support for the Palestinians.

However, Trump has inadvertently moved the process toward peace and justice for the Palestinians forward by apparently being the first president to formally abandon the mythical and obstructive two-state solution. This will help open the way towards annexation of parts, or all, of the West Bank. Once this happens , the cry will go out, starting from Israel’s president, to make the Palestinians in this newly-annexed territory full citizens with equal rights to the Jewish settlers who will become citizens once this happens. Israel will then have the unavoidable choice of either ruling over an apartheid state or a truly democratic one, albeit one that we can expect will still heavily favor Jews over non Jews for the foreseeable future.

So, thanks to Trump who, although he almost certainly remains clueless about the ramifications of his abandonment of the TSS, may have done more to advance the movement than any of his predecessors.

11. James Canning
    February 15, 2017, 2:01 pm

Perhaps Trump will tell us what is to become of the Muslims in the occupied West Bank, if Israel tries to annex most of it.

12. Ossinev
    February 17, 2017, 5:45 pm

A striking feature in the pictures/video of the Trump/Yahoo meeting was not so much the meeting “of great minds”(not) but the meeting of great “comb overs”. Just about reflects the
    50 year old US/Israel joint approach to the I/P (irritating Palestinians) conflict – one long protracted policy “comb over”.