Help us Make the Treyf Podcast!
We’re asking for your support to help us keep releasing a bi-weekly leftist Jewish podcast! Monthly donations will help cover the costs of the show so that we can stick to working on it and making it better.
About the Podcast
For the past two years, we’ve released an episode every two weeks, along with a monthly broadcast on CKUT 90.3 FM in Montreal, on occupied Kanien’kehá:ka territory. We’ve often released “shorts” during our off-weeks, sometimes putting out four different episodes in a month.
Over this time, we’ve tried to engage with ideas, questions, and voices that are largely ignored in mainstream Jewish spaces.
- We’ve engaged with issues like Pinkwashing, Jewish complicity in White Supremacy, Anti-Blackness, and Settler Colonialism, the political leadership of Black Jews & other Jews of Colour, Anti-Muslim violence in Quebec, Mizrahi leftist history, Anti-Semitism on the left, Anti-Arab racism, Palestine solidarity, challenging the right-wing view of Anti-Semitism, etc
- We’ve been fortunate enough to talk with folks like Aurora Levins Morales, Dean Spade, Dave Zirin, Karen Brodkin, & Daniel Boyarin among many others.
- We’ve discussed leftist Jewish organizing with groups like Jewish Voice for Peace, Jews for Racial and Economic Justice, and Jewdas.
- We’ve collaborated with the Canadian Jewish Archives to digitize archival radio interviews for our new ‘From the Archives’ series.
- We’ve profiled new leftist Jewish podcasts such as Kaddish, Vaybertaysh and Radio Free Babylonia.
- We’ve provided a steady stream of media criticism about mainstream Jewish media outlets ;)
How the project started
When we started TREYF (a Yiddish word used to connote something that is not kosher), our goal was to bring anti-racist & anti-colonial leftist perspectives to the political discussions happening in North American Jewish communities. Where we live, the Institutional Jewish Community favors reactionary right-wing perspectives, in tacit support of white supremacy and settler colonialism. We created TREYF with the hopes that it could offer a viable alternative to these politics, and highlight the work being done by leftist Jews putting these ideas into practice. For some more context, check out this interview that we did with Jewschool.
What we want to do:
While we’ve been incredibly lucky to have access to CKUT, a community radio station which allows us to use some of their equipment, there are increasing costs that we’ve been paying for out of pocket. And as TREYF has grown, so have the opportunities to travel and talk with more people about the ideas that we engage with.
As we look to the future of TREYF, we’re asking for ongoing financial support so we can cover our basic costs, expand the topics and issues we cover, and improve the quality of the show while sticking to a consistent release schedule.
The possibilities for this radio show are pretty vast, and we have a lot of dreams that we’re aspiring toward. These include: finding and airing more archival footage, speaking with elders (more intergenerational dialogue!), engaging with the historical & current role of Jewish communities in North America as settlers, travelling to cover events, working with others to build a new Radical Jewish Media Network, and producing narrative nonfiction in the style of our War On Christmas episode!
Where will the money go?
Tier One – basic costs: $100/month
- Website and Soundcloud page ($200/year)
- Graphic design & website maintenance ($500/year)
- Microphones and other equipment (one-time purchase)
Tier Two – moving the show forward: $225/month
- Accessing and digitizing archives ($450/year)
- Advertising in Jewish Media Outlets ($1000/year)
Tier Three – expanding the show: $500+/month
- A travel budget ($2,000/year)
- A Solidarity Fund for Rad Jewish Radio makers (sky’s the limit!)
Support the podcast at: https://www.patreon.com/treyfpodcast