Israel prevents Omar Barghouti from accompanying his mother to Jordan for critical surgery

This is to share with you that ​Israel has effectively banned me from traveling to Amman, Jordan to accompany my mother during her upcoming critical surgery.

My mother, Wafieh Barghouti, is 75 years old. She was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago, and has been fighting it every since with bravery, dignity, and lots of her typically stinging political commentary on Facebook!

For months now, every time I needed to travel to Amman to be with ​my mother during ​a ​chemotherapy​ session​, I had to obtain a court order to ​temporarily ​suspend the travel ban imposed on m​e by the Israeli authorities.

In response to a​n​​ urgent request from my lawyers​ — that explained my mother’s upcoming surgery and the need for me to be with her​ — an Israeli court ​temporarily ​suspended ​the travel ban ​​from January ​2nd to the 16th, ​2018.

However, the Israeli Ministry of Interior​, despite being informed about the surgery,​ has ​for almost 3 weeks failed to renew my Israeli travel document, without which I cannot travel to Jordan. ​

My lawyer first applied to the Ministry for the​ travel document’s renewal on 17 December 2017 and has followed that up with three urgent letters: on 27 December 2017, 2 January 2018 and today, 4 January 2018. She has also sent to the ministry a copy of a letter written by my mother’s oncologist indicating dates of the surgery and follow-up therapy.

Given the well-established record of the Israeli regime’s all-out war on the nonviolent BDS movement for Palestinian rights and on me personally, I have no doubt that this is yet another form of “punishment” for my role ​in the movement ​as a human rights defender fighting for freedom, justice and equality.

Imposing a travel ban on me, threatening me with “civil assassination,” and desperately​ — and repeatedly –​ trying to tarnish my reputation all pale in comparison with the war crimes and crimes against humanity (including apartheid) perpetrated by Israel’s regime of oppression against millions of Palestinians. ​

The siege on 2 million Palestinians in Gaza, denying them basic rights and freedoms​ …

The denial of the UN-stipulated right to return home for millions of Palestinian refugees …

The endless theft of land and construction of illegal colonial settlements in the occupied West Bank, especially in and around Jerusalem …

The ongoing ethnic cleansing of whole communities in the Naqab and the Jordan Valley …

The dozens of racist Israeli laws and the brutal apartheid regime that makes apartheid in South Africa look like a “picnic” in comparison, as the Speaker of the South African parliament has stated …

The heinous murder in December 2017 of Ibrahim Abu Thurayyah, the double amputee Palestinian hero who was shot in the Gaza ghetto — while protesting with a Palestinian flag — by an Israeli soldier whose savagery reminds us of that of German soldiers in suppressing the Warsaw ghetto uprising…

The repression against Ahed Tamimi, a 16-year-old Palestinian heroine and symbol of our popular resistance, for daring to slap the occupation in the face, literally and figuratively …

They all reveal not just a brutal oppressor but also a morally bankrupt regime of oppression that is lashing out with utter cruelty and despair after realizing that its support base around the world is fast eroding.

​Being part of this great people that is steadfasting and resisting against all odds, I reiterate that all their intimidation and bullying ​​will never deter me from doing what’s right–continuing my modest contribution to my people’s struggle for liberation.

Like almost all Palestinians, I can never accept slavery as fate and will never stop fighting oppression until we can live ​in justice and dignity.​

Mother, forgive me, I shall not be physically with you in your testing time. ​Ours is an insignificant sacrifice when compared to our people’s many heart-aching sacrifices. But I’ll be with you in spirit, and I know that you firmly support me in standing up to their bullying and shouting: “We shall overcome.”

Some of you will ask, “what can we do to help? Shall we send letters to the authorities to pressure them?” As most of you will guess, my answer is: Nothing ​from the outside can pressure Israel’s regime of occupation and apartheid like BDS. The time of appeasement and groveling appeals to them to respect our rights must come to an end.

To help lift Israel’s boots off of our ​necks, I ​call for more creative, strategic and sustained BDS ​campaigns, leading to effective international sanctions similar to those imposed on apartheid South Africa. Only then can justice prevail.

Barghouti shared this message via email this morning, and allowed us to republish it here.

About Omar Barghouti

1. vacyv
    January 4, 2018, 6:12 pm

Send protest and demand for Omar Barghouti to immediately join his mother in Jordan to your local Israeli embassy https://embassy.goabroad.com/embassies-of/israel and to your Foreign Minister

• echinococcus
      January 5, 2018, 2:35 am

Barghouti says it in the article:

Some of you will ask, “what can we do to help? Shall we send letters to the authorities to pressure them?” As most of you will guess, my answer is: Nothing ​from the outside can pressure Israel’s regime of occupation and apartheid like BDS. The time of appeasement and groveling appeals to them to respect our rights must come to an end.

Another one that won’t work with the current admin is “Drop dead, criminals against humanity! You are putting the Nazis to shame.” They know that already. Nope, no external pressure in the form of words will do anything to them Zionists, water off duck feathers. Especially if coming from non-Zionists and Goys.

• Cazador
        January 5, 2018, 9:35 am

echinococcus,

«The only language they know is force, something we don’t have. Yet. Boycott and sanctions may help gather some.»

Boycott, Divestment and Sanction (BDS) represents a fair amount of force. Cut the sources of money from commerce, trade, etc., and the very rich zionist financiers will be forced to make a choice between keeping the monstrous zionist Israeli governments in place at all cost, or keeping one’s wealth out of risk of loss. Money talks very loud for and against greedy people!

• echinococcus
        January 5, 2018, 2:48 pm

Cazador,

That’s what I meant by “Boycott and sanctions may help gather some” force. But your description of the mechanism is faulty. Zionists have the means to use the US and Western Eurpopean nations to even fully support their shitty Zionist entity. Meaning, the boycott itself can inflict some economic damage but that will doubtless be staunched by the US taxpayer. Second, the Zionists are still a bunch of ideological, suicidal crazies, not logical actors (and that, to the tune of something like 90%.) Ditto for the Zionism Owners, themselves part of the Owners of the US.

Where the boycott can some serious mileage is in driving home the idea that the Zionist do not belong to the “Western World”, that they are shunned by all, that their cultural institutions and universities are not talked to. Not the boycotting of their exports.

Finally, in the context, “force” means an action adequate to moving the object. Again, one hopes that this kind of pressure will be enough to make Zionists give up but their whole history says otherwise. Again, it looks as if very many, perhaps even a majority, may become suicidal. The opposition encountered by anticolonial movements so far was far less formidable and generally rational, and yet an enormous amount of violence was necessary to move it out. Even in South Africa, the sacrifice needed to just only reach a partial compromise with the White colonists was staggering.

• Lillian Rosengarten
      January 5, 2018, 12:52 pm

How absolutely hideous. Zionism, the epitome of man’s inhumanity to man.

• Misterioso
        January 5, 2018, 2:26 pm

@Lillian Rosengarten

Zionism is racism. Zionism is theft. Zionism is fascism. Zionism is doomed.

2. JLewisDickerson
    January 4, 2018, 9:22 pm

3. JosephA
    January 5, 2018, 1:06 am

Mr. Barghouti is admirable, and he has summed up Israel’s past and present crimes against humanity quite well. Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions seems to be the best approach to force a peaceful end to the ongoing Israeli crimes.

• Cazador
      January 5, 2018, 9:41 am

Joseph A,

I totally agree in both cases.

When justice will hit Israel as it should, thanks to the likes of Omar Barghouti, I wonder if zionist shame will be felt as much as Palestinian joy throughout the world.

Long live Palestine!!!

4. Sisyphus
    January 5, 2018, 8:44 am

I like Desmond Tutu reference above. [Everyone has a choice. As Bishop Tutu said, “if you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”] Ahed Tamimi, Omar Barghouti are but the tip of the Israeli iceberg of depredation and degradation … Israelis (not all I’m sure) are emboldened by Trump and his crew and their brand of power politics. The million others who are out of site and submerged in the endless indignities that the Israeli government considers normal. I’m aware of BDS and letter writing – both are good expressions of support but are they enough? Are there legal ways of showing support for the other Omars and Aheds ? Is there, for example, an Omar fund raising initiative or one for Ahed T. ?

5. Jackdaw
    January 5, 2018, 9:08 am

The tax authorities in Israel are heavy handed in their treatment of all those suspected of, or convicted of, tax evasion. But when citizen Barghouti runs afoul of Israel’s tax authority, it’s suddenly ‘political’. It’s ‘pay back’.

A speedy recovery for Mrs. Barghouti.

January 5, 2018, 1:45 pm

“Well, I know a lot of Israeli Jews who’ve been ground down by the tax authority. Was that ‘political’ too?.”

Nah, more likely religious. Friction between those that adhere to an orthodox view of Israel’s tax code, and those who favor reform.

6. guyn
    January 5, 2018, 9:33 am

“They all reveal not just a brutal oppressor but also a morally bankrupt regime of oppression that is lashing out with utter cruelty and despair after realizing that its support base around the world is fast eroding.”

It is what worries me: what they will do in the near futur in a situation of isolation and opprobrium. For them, the end justifies the means.

• Jackdaw
      January 5, 2018, 12:55 pm

@guyn

Living in the Mondoweiss echo chamber with your cult buddies, you don’t realise that the criticism of Israel that you live for, is actually amplified and distorted.

Did you know that Israeli tourism reached an all time high this past year?

Hello! Cognitive dissonance. Hello!

• Misterioso
        January 5, 2018, 2:38 pm

@jackdaw

guyn is correct, Israel’s “support base around the world is fast eroding.”

To wit:

Exodus of Israeli Jews:

“Why Jews flee to Europe (or at least half of it)”
        By Doug Saunders,
        Canada’s Globe and Mail, November 16, 2013

EXCERPTS:
        “Have you heard about Europe’s Jewish exodus? Amid growing tensions and tough economic conditions, tens of thousands of educated middle-class Jews are fleeing every year – not out of the continent, but rather from Israel into Europe, and especially to Germany, which has become the chief destination (after the United States) for the half-million Israelis who have left the country amid its much-discussed ‘brain drain.’

“This has taken both Israelis and many Europeans by surprise – and offended some Israeli leaders. Last month, Foreign Minister Yair Lapid, during a visit to Budapest, took to Facebook to denounce the growing wave of Europe-bound Jews who have become known in the Israeli media as the New Yordim (emigrants, or literally, ‘fallen’).

“European countries are seen by Israelis as stable, egalitarian and safe, while in an Israel governed by hard-line regimes, the zealots and the Orthodox seem destined to prevail. ‘With all due respect,’ Jerusalem Post columnist Susan Hatis Rolef recently wrote, ‘I think it is physically safer for a Jew to live in Berlin these days than in Jerusalem, though I do not belittle the emotional difficulty involved for a Jew to do so, given the not-too-distant history.’”

“She listed the reasons for the exodus: ‘loss of hope that peace will ever prevail … discomfort with the lack of determination of Israel’s leaders to make a serious effort to separate religion and state … and the feeling that life in Israel frequently feels like life in a pressure cooker.’”

EXCERPT:
        “More Israelis Left Israel Than Moved Back in Six Year Record. 16,700 left and 8,500 came back in 2015, the first year since 2009 that more Israelis exited than returned.” By Lior Dattel. Aug 15, 2017, Haaretz.

Also, support for Israel is in decline in the U.S., especially among all important youth:
        “Support for Israel on Campus Drops by ‘Devastating’ 27%: Study” – The Forward, June 21/17
        “The Brand Israel Group, a coalition of volunteer advertising and marketing specialists, has released a survey that shows a significant decrease in Israel’s approval rating among Americans.
        “’The future of America no longer believe that Israel shares their values. This is huge! Devastating,’ Fern Oppenheim, a co-founder of BIG, told The Times of Israel. While approval of Israel among American college students dropped 27% between the group’s 2010 and 2016 surveys, Israel’s approval rating among all Americans dropped 14 points, from 76% to 62%.”

Furthermore, regarding the USA: http://forward.com/news/ national/376097/study-israel- losing-support-among- democrats-minorities- millennials/ The Forward July 2, 2017
        ”Study: Israel Losing Support Among Democrats, Minorities, Millennials ‘It appears that the more Americans learn about Israel, the less they like it.’”

Also, and most importantly, support for Israel among American Jewish college students is in decline:
        Times of Israel, June 21/17:

January 5, 2018, 3:21 pm

“Hello! Cognitive dissonance. Hello! Squawk! Reet!”

I’m sorry, your collect call to “All Jews must go down the toilet with Israel” has been declined.

• Keith
        January 5, 2018, 6:01 pm

JACKDAW- “Did you know that Israeli tourism reached an all time high this past year?”

I couldn’t help but notice that your link featured an attractive Askenazi woman in a teeny bikini on a beach, a typical depiction. Apparently cherry tomatoes wasn’t a big draw?

• RoHa
        January 5, 2018, 8:03 pm

Maybe a cherry tomato in a teeny bikini on a beach would work.

• Jackdaw
        January 6, 2018, 1:15 am

“I couldn’t help but notice that your link featured an attractive Askenazi woman in a teeny bikini on a beach,”

I think the linked pic was a stock photo. I didn’t recognise the beach as being in Israel. That said, you’re not going to see ass like that on a beach in Gaza.

• Keith
        January 6, 2018, 11:52 am

JACKDAW- “I think the linked pic was a stock photo.”

Yes, and the caption reads “Tel Aviv HOT.” What better enticement to appeal to a beleaguered, downtrodden Diaspora?

JACKDAW- ” That said, you’re not going to see ass like that on a beach in Gaza.”

No, I don’t expect you will.

January 6, 2018, 12:20 pm

” I didn’t recognise the beach as being in Israel. That said, you’re not going to see ass like that on a beach in Gaza.”

I just hope everybody is drinking in Moderation. Remember, it’s early yet.