- ‘Children killed in their sleep’: Israeli artillery fire hits UN … 70
- The threat of sanctions worked against Israel in 1956 — … 27
- Remnick gets the timeline wrong 12
- ‘Israel today, Israel tomorrow, Israel forever,’ Rep. Hakeem Jeffries says … 38
- Gaza protests across West Bank are suppressed by skunk water, … 3
- Video: Mark Regev, deciphered 29
- More voices describe Gaza slaughter as a ‘genocide’ 24
- Over a hundred people join Norman Finkelstein for civil disobedience … 5
- The killing fields 0
- Claim that Hamas killed 3 teens is turning out to … 0
- As in Vietnam and South Africa, Gazan masses are willing … 0
- Oren’s charge that networks showcase Palestinian dead at behest of … 0
- Raising money for Israelis being bombed in hospitals and schools, … 0
- Fox’s Hannity abuses Yousef Munayyer, says he has a ‘thick … 0
- Pro-Israel Facebook page is titled, ‘Death to Dianna Buttu’ 0
- Survivors of massacre in Khuza’a say Israeli forces used Palestinians … 0
- Video: If you voted for Hamas, Israel has a right … 255
- The deafening silence around the Hamas proposal for a 10-year … 245
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) 241
- Finally, Israel is alienating the US mainstream media 237
- Kerry is off the Israel bandwagon 161
- Hamas mimics Hezbollah tactics, and no one will have stability … 152
- Israeli embassy puts Mona Lisa in a hijab — ‘Israel … 151
- Claim that Hamas killed 3 teens is turning out to … 146
- RT @RobinDGKelley: Powerful essay by David Lloyd, Slaughter is not self-defense: The assault on Gaza and the corruption of language http://t.co/E90EvxKFXr, 2 hours ago
- RT @BenEhrenreich: Americans, in case you were still wondering what 1361 dead Gazans have to do with you: http://t.co/fnV17AgkQj, 3 hours ago
- RT @RobinDGKelley: My response to @cvaldary ignorant "letter" was written 2 years before http://t.co/rDcJbI7o7B backed by AIPAC & CUFI http://t.co/U9FINpCao4, 3 hours ago
- RT @MaxBlumenthal: Zionist BDS MT @davidsheen: 2/3 of Jewish Israelis say they will boycott businesses of Palestinians of Israel http://t.co/kEh0n8eG88, 3 hours ago
- RT @MaxBlumenthal: In a time of great moral crisis, @conor64 preserves his neutrality: https://t.co/M6pi6i6GM1, 3 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Video: If you voted for Hamas, Israel has a right to kill you, says president of NY Board of Rabbis (245)
- Shingo: But I do admit, “complicity” must be an awful thing, it being such a suggestive word. And then here are the...
- Mooser: “It is indeed pathetic that such an important American rabbi only sees Judaism as a tribal religion...
- Mooser: Notice, Shingo, that a new type of culpability has emerged for the Palestinians. It’s called...
- ‘Children killed in their sleep’: Israeli artillery fire hits UN school, killing at least 20 (53)
- just: “A Norwegian doctor who has just returned from Gaza Strip narrated in a press conference in Brussels...
- AlGhorear: It gets worse. U.S. resupplies Israel with munitions as Gaza offensive rages
- Blownaway: Don’t worry the US is doing something. They are re supplying Israel with more ammo so they can...
- The threat of sanctions worked against Israel in 1956 — and it can work again (10)
- ‘Israel today, Israel tomorrow, Israel forever,’ Rep. Hakeem Jeffries says at NY rally (31)
- just: gives a whole ‘nother meaning to iron dome, too. (no offense to the beautiful and follicly challenged...
- Slaughter is not self-defense: The assault on Gaza and the corruption of language (31)
- Sycamores: Joe Carton tweets Israeli soldier leaks accounts of revenge attacks against civilians in #Gaza link to...
- Video: If you voted for Hamas, Israel has a right to kill you, says president of NY Board of Rabbis (245)
Author Archives: Allison Deger
Video released by Defense of Children International-Palestine of the two Palestinians killed last Thursday at an annual Nakba Day protest outside of Ofer prison show the youths did not pose a threat to life to Israeli soldiers. In addition, a newly released photo set reveals that one medic was shot in the head while trying to aid one of the wounded youth.
Two Palestinians were killed and a third is in critical condition after being shot by the Israeli military outside of Ofer prison in the West Bank at an annual Nakba Day protest. The youths were struck with live-fire and nine others critically wounded, according to hospital staff. Nadime Siam Abu Nuwara, 17, was shot by a single bullet to the heart and Mohammed Awad Salemeh Abu Thaher, 22, was killed just before 2:00 pm from a bullet to the lower abdomen.
NBC’s ‘Dig’ gets $6.5 million from Israel to film in E. Jerusalem while Palestinian residents lack drinking water
NBC’s “The Dig” to receive $6.5 million grant from Israeli government to film in Silwan, meanwhile Palestinian residents go without safe drinking water.
Circular logic: Israel agrees not to discriminate against Palestinian-American travelers — not that it ever did
The Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs has agreed to change discriminatory practices against Palestinian-Americans coming to Israeli borders, a key issue in negotiations aimed at allowing Israel to join the U.S. visa waiver program. But when asked if it discriminates? “No, of course not.”
A giant mock apartheid wall and adjoining security tower can now be yours! Students for Justice in Palestine at the U of Illinois (Champaign Urbana) are selling theirs due to size restrictions. Might weigh as much as a ton!
Allison Deger talks with youth activists in Ramallah who took to the streets in the past to protest Palestinian negotiations with Israel, but now are sitting it out as they do not believe their representatives will listen to their grievances. Bassel from al-Walaja says, “We are not objecting to just the negotiations and their failures and their success. We’re against the whole thing: recognizing Israel, the two-state solution. We’re against all of it in principle.” Above, Palestinian security forces beat youth protesters with batons at a demonstration in 2013.
Mariam Barghouti, a 20 year-old university student and translator was arrested last Friday in Nabi Saleh and six days later is still locked in an Israeli jail cell. Despite being an American citizen she is facing trumped up charges of stone throwing that can carry a three-month sentence in jail.
What will remain, said George, sitting in the Ramallah Cafe, is “one apartheid state: one state for two peoples where one has all of the rights, the Israelis, and one has none of the rights, the Palestinians.” As negotiations between Israeli and Palestinians leaders reach a crisis, in Ramallah, the urban reprieve and seat of President Mahmoud Abbas’s government, the breakdown passes with much apathy.
African asylum seeker protest leader Mutasim Ali has filed a petition with Israel’s high court to overturn his, and thousands of other prison summons for refugees desiring status in Israel. Ali has been given 30 days to report to a detention facility
The Israeli Government Advertising Agency, known for promoting tourism, is paying a journalist $61,800 to cover Pope Francis’s upcoming visit.
A group of Israeli high school boys dressed as members of the Klu Klux Klan and others in “black face” make-up to stage a mock lynching for a class holiday party.
SodaStream starlet Scarlett Johansson parrots company’s CEO in accusing Oxfam of funding the boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) movement.
Fruits of a right-wing takeover: Knesset barrage limits Arab parties, conscripts the ultra-Orthodox, and puts the peace process to a vote
This week legislation introduced by right-wing members of Knesset passed in quick succession, nearly unanimously with the exception of lawmakers who boycotted the debates. Within two days the government approved military conscription for ultra-Orthodox, raised the electoral threshold which will keep Arab parties out of office, and amended Basic Law for the first time in 22 years to require a referendum on ceding any Israeli controlled land during negotiations.
Tuesday marked a day of funerals as Palestinians across the West Bank and Gaza mourned six killed by Israeli forces within twenty-four hours. Three were killed in the West Bank in separate instances and three were killed in the Gaza Strip from an air strike. Above, the funeral of Saji Darwish, 18, in Beitin, a village in the West Bank.
Last Sunday over 300,000 protesters shut down central Jerusalem to protest a Knesset bill to draft Israel’s ultra-Orthodox Jewish community into the military. Allison Deger talks to some of the protesters who compare Israeli Finance Minister Yair Lapid, the main backer of the compulsorily conscription legislation, to the assassinated Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, suggesting he would meet a similar fate.
The killing of three Palestinian men in Qalandia refugee camp last August is a central case in the Amnesty International report on Israeli soldiers killing dozens of Palestinian protesters in the last three years. Amnesty has called for governments to suspend military aid to Israel because of the pattern. Allison Deger investigated that violent night in the occupation. Here is her assessment of Israeli actions.
Palestinians in Hebron demand Israel ‘Open Shuhada Street’ and protest twentieth anniversary of Ibrahimi mosque massacre
On Friday around one thousand Palestinian and Israeli activists protested in the West Bank city of Hebron to reopen Shuhada Street.
In Israel torturing Palestinian prisoners is illegal, but since 2001 there has not been a single conviction—even when the state admits its use. Above, the shabach position is demonstrated: A prisoner is bound to a low tilted chair with one hand tied behind him. The suspect’s head is covered by an opaque sack. Loud music is played in the room.
While officials in the U.S. are undertaking efforts to punish those who call for boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS), inside Israel more members of government are backing settlement boycotts.
What is a Jewish dog? Allison Deger visits a pet cemetery (above) and ranch run by an Israeli couple that enjoys water, electricity and waste removal as a result of government plans to make life attractive for Israeli Jews in the Negev desert. Yet about two kilometers away is an unrecognized Bedouin encampment with 24 residents from the Abu Alkin clan who are not allowed to access municipal services, and are forced to live off the grid. “Martin Luther King, 2014: My dream is to be a dead Jewish dog. For then I will have equal rights,” quips Khalil Alamour of the legal rights group Adalah.
Do these teens remind you of the dizzy teens awaiting the Beatles? Change the scene: Days before John Kerry will arrive in the Middle East for more negotiations, thousands of Israelis marched in the occupied Jerusalem hills to claim land that would be essential to a two-state solution
After leaving Oxfam, Scarlett Johansson has gained the support of Israeli foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman.
Last week, noted African asylum seeker organizer Mutasim Ali, 27, was given a summons to report to prison. Since mid-December testimonies have surfaced that African asylum seekers are being summoned to report to a desert detention facility, and now this leader has been ordered to give up his life in Tel Aviv and turn himself in. Mondoweiss publishes copy of a new prison summons used to order African asylum seekers to report to a desert detention facility.
A week ago the world rejoiced when food trucks finally arrived to Yarmouk refugee camp in Syria to alleviate mass starvation, but since then the siege is back. Even after the food arrived, it did little to curtail starvation throughout the camp of 40,000. The death toll now has exceeded 63,