- Palestinian youth say the talks with Israel are futile 15
- Stephen Walt: publishing ‘Israel lobby’ ended any thought of serving … 32
- Resurrecting Passover? 24
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link … 170
- Cornell student government puts the kibosh on divestment debate 3
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an 64
- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel 77
- American citizen, translator and student—Mariam Barghouti arrested and detained in … 14
- You know Israel’s in trouble when ‘NYT’ runs op-ed saying … 0
- It’s time to reveal the Israeli role in the US … 0
- ‘Secret’ London conference seeks to link BDS to… terrorism 0
- Alleged K.C. killer: ‘If Jews can have a state of … 0
- China Miéville: It’s become a cliche to talk about Palestine … 0
- Alterman says BDS is helping Netanyahu 0
- Passover for Palestine 0
- A prayer for Passover 0
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link … 170
- Simon Schama’s Israel whitewash 158
- ‘Poof’ — Kerry blames Israel for breakdown of talks (Updated) 144
- Alterman says BDS is helping Netanyahu 111
- 66 years ago today 42 members of my family were … 107
- Amid ‘climate of fear’ at Vassar, president comes out against … 104
- Alleged K.C. killer: ‘If Jews can have a state of … 100
- 6 DC heavyweights tell Kerry, Netanyahu in West Bank is … 99
- RT @ChemiShalev: Mondoweiss: The excellence of Shalev’s interview is that he comes off as petty and Walt seems big. http://t.co/5q1uZ6VH13, 6 hours ago
- RT @MaxBlumenthal: Hillel expels and condemns anti-Zionist Jews but welcomes evangelical Christian End Timers with open arms: http://t.co/5a5oi1fESb, 6 hours ago
- Palestinian youth say the talks with Israel are futile http://t.co/U92Y4MGemY, 9 hours ago
- Stephen Walt: publishing ‘Israel lobby’ ended any thought of serving in US gov’t http://t.co/IBkp1QtiTc, 14 hours ago
- RT @DaliaHatuqa: Israel's 7-year blockade of Gaza the "longest in history," says new UNRWA head Pierre Krahenbuhl. http://t.co/PaCLN8nQXr, 16 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Stephen Walt: publishing ‘Israel lobby’ ended any thought of serving in US gov’t (33)
- Resurrecting Passover? (24)
- Walid: “You have a fierce moral clarity and my respect,” Keith, there is no doubt about that; I feel...
- Walid: W. Jones, what the Puritans did to the Indians was chickenshit compared to what they had done to the Irish...
- yonah fredman: Walid- I am not proud of Deir Yassin and Tantura. But I think that if all you’re going to do is...
- Palestinian youth say the talks with Israel are futile (15)
- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel (77)
Author Archives: Henry Norr
The real power of BDS can’t be measured in dollars, cents, euros, or shekels, but in its psychological and political impact.
A report on a Palestinian imprisoned by ‘Big Brother’ Israel when seeking to travel, on National Public Radio, is one more chink in the damage to Israel’s image.
The Guardian just launched an online poll on the ScarJo controversy.
An anonymous “well-placed official” in the Israeli Prime Minister’s office set off a brouhaha in Zionist politics the other day by telling journalists he would insist that settlers left on the Palestinian side in a potential division of the West Bank have the option of choosing to remain in their homes and live under Palestinian rule. Palestinians rejected this position, and while this may seem intolerant, it’s important to understand the role of settlers in Palestinian lives.
Congress is taking a hard line on Iran because of Iran’s belligerent statements toward Israel — Karim Sadjadpour’s realist take on NPR
Haaretz Op-Ed: “The reality, of course, is that Israel does have a solution. It’s just that it’s difficult to talk about it with a straight face. Israel’s solution, ever since the time of Yitzhak Shamir, if not long before, is to do nothing. That’s the solution: not-so-benign neglect.”
What does progressive mean in the context of apartheid? Israeli musician Idan Raichel, known for incorporating Arab and African music and musicians into his act, took to Instagram the other day to suggest that a notorious Israeli interrogator accused of sodomizing a detainee with a baton deserves a “medal of honor,” according to a new report by journalist Ben White.
Israeli rightwingers justify murderous attacks on Gaza as “mowing the lawn.” Henry Norr at Mondo says that Palestinians have a more benign interpretation of that expression
On November 19 and 20 the New York Times website published a two-part interview with Josef Koudelka about his new book of photos called “Wall: Israeli and Palestinian Landscapes.” The article contained an important error about the path of the Wall that Henry Norr set out to fix.
Veteran Israeli activist and commentator Uri Avnery has posted a new column framing the current struggle over U.S. policy toward Iran as, among other things, a test of two theories: the view, long associated with Noam Chomsky, that Israel is simply a tool of U.S. imperialism, versus the analysis, notably championed by Stephen Walt and John Mearsheimer, that Israel and the Israel lobby here at home are the main determinants of American policy in the Middle East.
Today being the official Columbus Day holiday in the U.S., it’s a good occasion for people here to reflect on the similarities between the history of this land and what’s happening in Palestine
If you want to express your appreciation to Stephen Hawking for his courageous gesture, there’s a petition here. It reads: To: Stephen Hawking Thank you for supporting the international call to Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions, and adherence to the Academic … Continue reading
Last week’s episode of “This American Life,” the popular public-radio show hosted by Ira Glass, included a striking 23-minute segment about the Israeli occupation of the West Bank. The piece was reported by Nancy Updike, an award-winning producer who’s been with the show since it began in 1995. Updike explores the routinized harassment of villagers in Nabi Saleh by the Israeli military. Above, Israeli soldiers arrest a Palestinian from the village.
Aaron David Miller has been on NPR an astonishing 20 times in the last year– plus Martin Indyk seven times, Robert Malley five times, and Dennis Ross four times. By contrast, Diana Buttu, Rashid Khalidi, and Stephen Walt have been on the air only twice each in the last year, and Noura Erakat, Yousef Munayyer, and John Mearsheimer not even once.
The greatest political shift in Israel has been from the center to the right, in support of an immoral status quo, says Noam Sheizaf of +972 at a west coast appearance
Just because you like bubbly water, you don’t have to buy into occupation: A guide to alternatives to SodaStream
A list of settlement-free home carbonation devices as alternatives to the devices SodaStream manufactures in an illegal settlement on stolen Palestinian land.
Several of the latest polls on today’s Israeli elections apparently show a modest up-tick in support for what’s known as the “center-left” – Labor plus two new parties, Tzipi Livni’s Hatnuah and Yair Lapid’s Yesh Atid. But as Larry Derfner points out only about 18 members of 120 member Knesset elected today are likely to oppose the occupation, and oppose war. So much for the left.
Naftali Bennett is only making real what has been the case for decades: Zionist goals in the West Bank
The latest edition of KPFA’s weekly radio show Voices of the Middle East and North Africa was, not surprisingly, devoted entirely to Gaza. The program included interesting interviews with Al Jazeera reporter Sherine Tadros and analyst and Jadaliyya co-editor Mouin Rabbani, … Continue reading
Norr responds to Ash: Who is trying to get the solidarity movement back on track and who is merely fanning the flames of division?
Gabriel Ash’s diatribe reminds me of an adage that seems to become truer by the week: “Anti-semites used to be people who hate Jews; now they’re people Jews hate.”
Col. Ann Wright: “Two days ago, on October 13, three hours before I was to board a flight to Europe to meet up with the Swedish boat to Gaza, the “Estelle,” the next boat to challenge the Israeli blockade, I was called by a board member of the Estelle who said that because of the furor around Greta Berlin’s posting and because I am a member of the new, 2 week old board of the Free Gaza Movement, I was no longer invited to be a passenger on the “Estelle.”
Garrison Keillor’s opening patter on the Sept. 29 edition of his “Prairie Home Companion” public-radio show jokes that Jews should atone over treatment of the Palestinians.
No heavy politics in this post, just some visual testimony to the Palestinians’ ability to maintain their traditions and their spirits even under the boot of Israeli occupation.
Those announcing the demise of the two-state solution are inadvertently sowing an illusion that could be damaging to the movement for Palestinian rights.
Joint statement from the Guardian and Joshua Treviño on ending his position at the newspaper.