- Video: Medea Benjamin interrupts Obama speech on US drone … 7
- Glenn Greenwald on the Woolwich attack and blowback from the … 16
- Church of Scotland accepts controversial report on Israel/Palestine 1
- Half of Israel’s eligible youth don’t enlist– and ranks of … 4
- Chelsea Clinton’s multifaith initiative 7
- More on the ‘creepy’ al-Dura report 7
- Exile and the Prophetic: Does John Kerry have the keys … 6
- Wolf Blitzer looks for a religious state 12
- Two friends meet for 5 minutes in Jerusalem 1699
- Palestinian-American Raed Zidan plants flag on top of Everest, dedicates … 1360
- Christians denounce Israel’s manhandling of worshipers at Holy Sepulcher on … 952
- Barbara Boxer’s visa bill for Israel comes under concerted attack 809
- In photos: Gaza marches and rallies mark 65 years of … 442
- Washington Post’s racism map omits Israel 438
- Israeli report on al-Dura case is vengeful and ‘surreal,’ says … 399
- International Criminal Court opens preliminary investigation into attack on Mavi … 355
- International Criminal Court opens preliminary investigation into attack on Mavi … 96
- Kennedy’s insistence on right of return prompted Ben-Gurion to rewrite … 93
- Barbara Boxer’s visa bill for Israel comes under concerted attack 93
- Abulhawa declines to ‘balance out’ several Israelis in ‘Al Jazeera’ … 87
- Washington Post’s racism map omits Israel 73
- Uncompromising hope inspired by Ghassan Kanafani 63
- Dershowitz should stop lying about Tutu’s record 56
- Two friends meet for 5 minutes in Jerusalem 48
- RT @alexbkane: Obama says expanded surveillance raises "difficult questions" , but his Justice Dept. has stalled on an inquiry into NYPD sp…, 9 hours ago
- RT @samknight1: Flashback: Israel helped train Guatemalan dictator Rios Montt, recently convicted of genocide. https://t.co/oYsxDokunE, 10 hours ago
- RT @samknight1: Israel to train Chiapas police? Well. Say goodnight to the Zapatistas and probably a whole lot of indigenous groups http://…, 10 hours ago
- RT @RodrigoEBR: Medea Benjamin also told Obama "I love my country. I love the rule of law. Abide by the rule of law. You're a constitutiona…, 10 hours ago
- RT @allisonkilkenny: I've never seen this level of outrage from journos levelled at the president for, say, droning people in secret. But f…, 10 hours ago
click link to see last 100 comments
- Glenn Greenwald on the Woolwich attack and blowback from the ‘war on terror’ (16)
- Annie Robbins: nice rant, but greenwald never justified the murder. your argument goes kurplunk, it’s a...
- RoHa: When were Jews last expelled from Australia? (But our country was founded as a place to dump convicts. Maybe...
- DICKERSON3870: Rightly or wrongly, I got the impression that the guy in the video with bloody meat cleaver might...
- Mohammed Assaf, singing sensation out of Gaza refugee camp, torches Arab Idol competition (25)
- Wolf Blitzer looks for a religious state (12)
- Israel cracks down on American travel to West Bank by requiring tourists to obtain military permit (35)
- James Canning: Bravo, Rusty. What imbecility on part of the US, to oppose Palestine’s membership in UNESCO....
- James Canning: @Newclench – - Do we care? Virtually every country on earth in effect accepts the Green Line as...
- James Canning: @Rityl – - The security threat posed by the illegal Jewish settlers in WB is more of an...
- Glenn Greenwald on the Woolwich attack and blowback from the ‘war on terror’ (16)
Our WritersMore Writers
Author Archives: Henry Norr
If you want to express your appreciation to Stephen Hawking for his courageous gesture, there’s a petition here. It reads: To: Stephen Hawking Thank you for supporting the international call to Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions, and adherence to the Academic … Continue reading
Last week’s episode of “This American Life,” the popular public-radio show hosted by Ira Glass, included a striking 23-minute segment about the Israeli occupation of the West Bank. The piece was reported by Nancy Updike, an award-winning producer who’s been with the show since it began in 1995. Updike explores the routinized harassment of villagers in Nabi Saleh by the Israeli military. Above, Israeli soldiers arrest a Palestinian from the village.
Aaron David Miller has been on NPR an astonishing 20 times in the last year– plus Martin Indyk seven times, Robert Malley five times, and Dennis Ross four times. By contrast, Diana Buttu, Rashid Khalidi, and Stephen Walt have been on the air only twice each in the last year, and Noura Erakat, Yousef Munayyer, and John Mearsheimer not even once.
The greatest political shift in Israel has been from the center to the right, in support of an immoral status quo, says Noam Sheizaf of +972 at a west coast appearance
Just because you like bubbly water, you don’t have to buy into occupation: A guide to alternatives to SodaStream
A list of settlement-free home carbonation devices as alternatives to the devices SodaStream manufactures in an illegal settlement on stolen Palestinian land.
Several of the latest polls on today’s Israeli elections apparently show a modest up-tick in support for what’s known as the “center-left” – Labor plus two new parties, Tzipi Livni’s Hatnuah and Yair Lapid’s Yesh Atid. But as Larry Derfner points out only about 18 members of 120 member Knesset elected today are likely to oppose the occupation, and oppose war. So much for the left.
Naftali Bennett is only making real what has been the case for decades: Zionist goals in the West Bank
The latest edition of KPFA’s weekly radio show Voices of the Middle East and North Africa was, not surprisingly, devoted entirely to Gaza. The program included interesting interviews with Al Jazeera reporter Sherine Tadros and analyst and Jadaliyya co-editor Mouin Rabbani, … Continue reading
Norr responds to Ash: Who is trying to get the solidarity movement back on track and who is merely fanning the flames of division?
Gabriel Ash’s diatribe reminds me of an adage that seems to become truer by the week: “Anti-semites used to be people who hate Jews; now they’re people Jews hate.”
Col. Ann Wright: “Two days ago, on October 13, three hours before I was to board a flight to Europe to meet up with the Swedish boat to Gaza, the “Estelle,” the next boat to challenge the Israeli blockade, I was called by a board member of the Estelle who said that because of the furor around Greta Berlin’s posting and because I am a member of the new, 2 week old board of the Free Gaza Movement, I was no longer invited to be a passenger on the “Estelle.”
Garrison Keillor’s opening patter on the Sept. 29 edition of his “Prairie Home Companion” public-radio show jokes that Jews should atone over treatment of the Palestinians.
No heavy politics in this post, just some visual testimony to the Palestinians’ ability to maintain their traditions and their spirits even under the boot of Israeli occupation.
Those announcing the demise of the two-state solution are inadvertently sowing an illusion that could be damaging to the movement for Palestinian rights.
Joint statement from the Guardian and Joshua Treviño on ending his position at the newspaper.
Last week, The Guardian announced a surprising addition to its editorial team: Joshua Treviño (pictured above in the Guardian’s NYC office), a former speechwriter for George W. Bush and co-founder of the right-wing RedState.com. Soon, Electronic Intifada reproduced tweets in which Treviño declared that it would be “cool” with him if Israel shot the participants in the 2011 Gaza Freedom Flotilla, then went on to observe that the flotilla was “not morally different from a Nazi convoy.”
Dont drink the Kool-Aid!
Excerpts from Nurit Peled-Elhanan’s magnificent speech in Tel Aviv on the occasion of the 45th anniversary of the 1967 war.
Turkey has issued arrest warrants for four retired Israeli military leaders after a prosecutor filed an indictment seeking sentences of life plus 18,000 years for their roles in the 2010 attack on the Gaza Freedom Flotilla.
IDF Lt.-Col. Shalom Eisner is caught on tape attacking activists taking part in a protest bike ride through the Jordan Valley on Saturday.
Dennis Ross decided Israel needs whatever it says it needs – and the Palestinians get everything that is left over. It’s a political problem — Finkelstein on the peace process
In anticipation of the Global March to Jerusalem on Palestinian Land Day (March 30), a new album called “Jerusalem for Us All” brings together tracks donated by a score of international artists working in hip hop, jazz, rock, folk, and a variety of classical cultural traditions.
On Feb. 21, the San Francisco branch of the Anti-Defamation League issued a statement condemning the event, accusing Atzmon of “demonizing Israel, Zionism and Jewish culture and identity.” While the the ADL claimed it did “not question Atzmon’s right to speak,” it challenged city officials to “react as forcefully” to his visit as they would “if a virulently racist speaker were coming to town.”
Ads calling for an end to the U.S. aid to Israel went up last week in a prominent location in the Civic Center station in San Francisco.
The Jewish Federations of North America, an umbrella organization that brings together 157 local and regional Jewish federations and hundreds of other Jewish organizations in the U.S. and Canada, runs an annual contest to choose “Jewish Community Heroes.” It slogan: “We … Continue reading
Two well-informed analysts have posted new articles today noting mounting indications that Benjamin Netanyahu and Ehud Barak might be on the verge of launching a war against Iran.