- Statement: Legal experts and human rights defenders demand international community … 12
- Photos: Across the U.S., thousands continue to march in solidarity … 2
- ‘Lone soldiers’ and young ideologues from around the world contribute … 12
- Video: Celebrities, artists and activists call for Palestinian freedom in … 11
- New York Times silences Israel’s Palestinian citizens on Gaza war 4
- Israeli embassy puts Mona Lisa in a hijab — ‘Israel … 76
- 9 things the American media isn’t telling you about Israel/Palestine 27
- Video: Frantic scenes during Qalandia demonstration as wounded are rushed … 0
- Horrifying details continue to emerge of massacre in Khuza’a 0
- 10,000 march on Qalandia in solidarity with Gaza 0
- Hamas mimics Hezbollah tactics, and no one will have stability … 0
- How Israel militarized social media 0
- Jews Say: End the War on Gaza — No Aid to … 0
- U.S. casts lonely vote against establishing war crimes inquiry in … 0
- In photos: Over 1,000 New Yorkers protest Israel’s attack on … 0
- NY Times reports source of UNRWA school attack is unclear … 0
- Massacre in Gaza: At least 60 killed in Shuja’iyeh, over … 363
- The deafening silence around the Hamas proposal for a 10-year … 245
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) 240
- Finally, Israel is alienating the US mainstream media 237
- Hamas mimics Hezbollah tactics, and no one will have stability … 152
- Kerry is off the Israel bandwagon 149
- Claim that Hamas killed 3 teens is turning out to … 146
- Israel is in a pickle 138
- RT @ThisIsGaZa: I always wanted to write for @intifada. I never thought it will be my Brother's death I write about. http://t.co/RzXAbTrjca #gazaunderattack, 1 hour ago
- RT @alexbkane: Thanks @Colorlines' @jamilahking for posting about my 2012 interview on Palestine with @RobinDGKelley http://t.co/KCoAfb3bmD, 1 hour ago
- Statement: Over 140 legal experts & human rights defenders demand an end to Israel's collective punishment of Gaza http://t.co/1yAA8hSXWK, 1 hour ago
- RT @YousefMunayyer: This @CBSNews comment by @bobschieffer is disgusting and racist. No place for this in US MSM http://t.co/YnSmJ9WF5p, 2 hours ago
- RT @ishaantharoor: Gaza and the death of the two-state solution http://t.co/7zvkqSks9P, 2 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Which crowded cities can you fire into? (50)
- talknic: @Jon66 … does a double down on stupid “Is it identified so that you know it’s a military...
- just: “And most of all, you’ll be completely safe from persecution.” Not if you disagree with the...
- talknic: @Jon66 does Habara stupid so well! IDF have their headquarters in empty isolated fields? WOW!!! I wonder if...
- Controversial, illegal, and documented: Israeli military strategies in Gaza (40)
- ritzl: @DaBakr: A) Nonsense. B) Complete nonsense. C) What are the tunnels “there for?” You know, skip...
- Dr. Kristol’s curriculum: US ‘special responsibilities’ include ‘ancient longings’ of Jewish nationalists (19)
- Mooser: “Zionism has opened the door wide for the reemergence of white ethnic and Christian religious...
- Breaking: Israel shelling hospital in Beit Hanoun, injured Palestinians and internationals trapped inside (6)
- ‘Israel is wrong by any moral standard’ — Robinson says, as US media pile up (47)
- Sumud: I thought the UN didn’t know the origins of the rockets but you say “the UN has repeatedly...
- NY Times reports source of UNRWA school attack is unclear even though Israel said they did it (35)
- Which crowded cities can you fire into? (50)
Author Archives: Henry Norr
Images of marches and rallies in the United States in solidarity with Gaza.
It appears to Henry Norr that the horrific images we’re all seeing from Gaza are starting to have an effect, and more and more people are seeing through the politicians’ rhetoric about “Israel’s right to defend itself” and coming to understand the sheer viciousness of the Israeli onslaught – and the racism that underlies it.
Dore Stein on KALW, a public radio in San Francisco, has a “Gaza Corner” of readings on the blockade of Gaza. Last Saturday night he read excerpts of Heathcote Williams’s searing poem about Israeli genocidal visions for Palestine.
Activists around the nation and the world are taking to the streets to demand an end to the Israeli assault on Gaza. In New York City, Adalah-NY: The New York Campaign for the Boycott of Israel has called an emergency vigil and flyering event tonight – Friday, July 6, at 6 p.m. on the south side of Union Squate, near Broadway. Know of other rallies, vigils, etc., in other cities? Please add details in the comments sections below, or send to [email protected] and we’ll try to get it posted as soon as possible.
The real power of BDS can’t be measured in dollars, cents, euros, or shekels, but in its psychological and political impact.
A report on a Palestinian imprisoned by ‘Big Brother’ Israel when seeking to travel, on National Public Radio, is one more chink in the damage to Israel’s image.
The Guardian just launched an online poll on the ScarJo controversy.
An anonymous “well-placed official” in the Israeli Prime Minister’s office set off a brouhaha in Zionist politics the other day by telling journalists he would insist that settlers left on the Palestinian side in a potential division of the West Bank have the option of choosing to remain in their homes and live under Palestinian rule. Palestinians rejected this position, and while this may seem intolerant, it’s important to understand the role of settlers in Palestinian lives.
Congress is taking a hard line on Iran because of Iran’s belligerent statements toward Israel — Karim Sadjadpour’s realist take on NPR
Haaretz Op-Ed: “The reality, of course, is that Israel does have a solution. It’s just that it’s difficult to talk about it with a straight face. Israel’s solution, ever since the time of Yitzhak Shamir, if not long before, is to do nothing. That’s the solution: not-so-benign neglect.”
What does progressive mean in the context of apartheid? Israeli musician Idan Raichel, known for incorporating Arab and African music and musicians into his act, took to Instagram the other day to suggest that a notorious Israeli interrogator accused of sodomizing a detainee with a baton deserves a “medal of honor,” according to a new report by journalist Ben White.
Israeli rightwingers justify murderous attacks on Gaza as “mowing the lawn.” Henry Norr at Mondo says that Palestinians have a more benign interpretation of that expression
On November 19 and 20 the New York Times website published a two-part interview with Josef Koudelka about his new book of photos called “Wall: Israeli and Palestinian Landscapes.” The article contained an important error about the path of the Wall that Henry Norr set out to fix.
Veteran Israeli activist and commentator Uri Avnery has posted a new column framing the current struggle over U.S. policy toward Iran as, among other things, a test of two theories: the view, long associated with Noam Chomsky, that Israel is simply a tool of U.S. imperialism, versus the analysis, notably championed by Stephen Walt and John Mearsheimer, that Israel and the Israel lobby here at home are the main determinants of American policy in the Middle East.
Today being the official Columbus Day holiday in the U.S., it’s a good occasion for people here to reflect on the similarities between the history of this land and what’s happening in Palestine
If you want to express your appreciation to Stephen Hawking for his courageous gesture, there’s a petition here. It reads: To: Stephen Hawking Thank you for supporting the international call to Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions, and adherence to the Academic … Continue reading
Last week’s episode of “This American Life,” the popular public-radio show hosted by Ira Glass, included a striking 23-minute segment about the Israeli occupation of the West Bank. The piece was reported by Nancy Updike, an award-winning producer who’s been with the show since it began in 1995. Updike explores the routinized harassment of villagers in Nabi Saleh by the Israeli military. Above, Israeli soldiers arrest a Palestinian from the village.
Aaron David Miller has been on NPR an astonishing 20 times in the last year– plus Martin Indyk seven times, Robert Malley five times, and Dennis Ross four times. By contrast, Diana Buttu, Rashid Khalidi, and Stephen Walt have been on the air only twice each in the last year, and Noura Erakat, Yousef Munayyer, and John Mearsheimer not even once.
The greatest political shift in Israel has been from the center to the right, in support of an immoral status quo, says Noam Sheizaf of +972 at a west coast appearance
Just because you like bubbly water, you don’t have to buy into occupation: A guide to alternatives to SodaStream
A list of settlement-free home carbonation devices as alternatives to the devices SodaStream manufactures in an illegal settlement on stolen Palestinian land.
Several of the latest polls on today’s Israeli elections apparently show a modest up-tick in support for what’s known as the “center-left” – Labor plus two new parties, Tzipi Livni’s Hatnuah and Yair Lapid’s Yesh Atid. But as Larry Derfner points out only about 18 members of 120 member Knesset elected today are likely to oppose the occupation, and oppose war. So much for the left.
Naftali Bennett is only making real what has been the case for decades: Zionist goals in the West Bank
The latest edition of KPFA’s weekly radio show Voices of the Middle East and North Africa was, not surprisingly, devoted entirely to Gaza. The program included interesting interviews with Al Jazeera reporter Sherine Tadros and analyst and Jadaliyya co-editor Mouin Rabbani, … Continue reading
Norr responds to Ash: Who is trying to get the solidarity movement back on track and who is merely fanning the flames of division?
Gabriel Ash’s diatribe reminds me of an adage that seems to become truer by the week: “Anti-semites used to be people who hate Jews; now they’re people Jews hate.”
Col. Ann Wright: “Two days ago, on October 13, three hours before I was to board a flight to Europe to meet up with the Swedish boat to Gaza, the “Estelle,” the next boat to challenge the Israeli blockade, I was called by a board member of the Estelle who said that because of the furor around Greta Berlin’s posting and because I am a member of the new, 2 week old board of the Free Gaza Movement, I was no longer invited to be a passenger on the “Estelle.”