- Israeli report: Kerry proposed long-term Israeli military presence in the … 27
- Interview with Roger Waters: ‘It’s a duty for artists to … 6
- Israeli military attacks Palestinian commemorations of Nelson Mandela 4
- The high cost of Israel’s water policies 12
- Jewish establishment stays silent on Israeli plan to forcibly displace … 12
- Shimon Peres on Mandela and Apartheid: Now & Then 11
- Marwan Barghouthi on Mandela: ‘Our freedom seems possible because you … 8
- The unspoken alliance: Israel’s secret relationship with apartheid South Africa 16
- Romeo and Juliet in Palestine 0
- Because Israel mocks the peace process, we need BDS, ‘Salon’ … 0
- Schumer says it’s a ‘mistake’ for Kerry to criticize settlements 0
- Netanyahu tweets red-telephone picture, to show how happy he is … 0
- Warpaint and terrorists 0
- Students support the American Studies Association boycott resolution 0
- Infographic: 20 Years of talks Keep Palestinians occupied — with … 0
- The Almond Tree: A peace proposal 0
- Corasanti responds to Abulhawa: My purpose in writing ‘The Almond … 200
- ‘NYT’ article on Palestinian refugees manages to quote Israeli govt … 138
- Netanyahu’s ‘gift’ to Pope: book on Catholic church’s persecution of … 126
- Israeli ambassador’s present to Obama — settlement cufflinks! 65
- Leonard Bernstein cared more about Israel than sex 61
- The Almond Tree: When novels distort legacies of struggle 59
- Only sanctions against Israel will end occupation — Gideon Levy 58
- At New America Foundation, Max Blumenthal warns Israeli policy is … 57
- RT @CiFWatch: Just like his writings, @MaxBlumenthal's new twitter image is a fabrication http://t.co/dvrg13wR2k, 6 hours ago
- RT @MaxBlumenthal: Letter from @standwithus demanding cancellation of @AMPalestine event cited presence of @AliAbunimah and others and quoted ADL blacklist 2/3, 6 hours ago
- RT @MaxBlumenthal: I'm at @AMPalestine conference. Chinese SoCal Cultural Center canceled our dinner after pressure from extreme Zionist group @StandWithUs 1/3, 7 hours ago
- RT @WideAsleepNima: Nelson #Mandela said a lot of things you won't hear about in mainstream coverage this week. Here's some of it: http://t.co/PXp8BVOxB8, 10 hours ago
- RT @jricole: Sec. Kerry quoted Mandela & then went on to affirm the need for "separation" of Jews and Palestinians to combat 'demographic threat.', 11 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- The high cost of Israel’s water policies (12)
- Walid: “Up to 40,000 Israeli (Bedouin) citizens will be transferred from their homes to townships that are...
- Hostage: Walid’s linked article does mention the PA Walid simply pointed out that a notable source of pro-Israel...
- ritzl: Seriously? Israel has always used water as a weapon. It does NOT supply water promised to the PA. Water,...
- At New America Foundation, Max Blumenthal warns Israeli policy is to ‘finish 48′ (57)
- yonah fredman: Ellen- Guess what? People like Ben Gurion changed reality. If I could I would wish to fine tune that...
- tree: He mentioned Ben Gurion once, and mentioned his golus name. Max mentions Ben Gurion at 1:00:51, in answer to a...
- yonah fredman: Ecru- As I have stated before: there was no exile from the land (Judea was what the Jewish...
- Israeli military attacks Palestinian commemorations of Nelson Mandela (4)
- seafoid: The memes of Zionism are dying. They are so afraid of Jews joining the dots. When people start to realise...
- Israeli report: Kerry proposed long-term Israeli military presence in the Jordan Valley (27)
- ritzl: Since we aren’t supposed to know specifics at this point, if this joint US/Israel...
- Warpaint and terrorists (8)
- schlemiel: For someone who was supposedly in the Israeli army, you seem to know very little about things there. Why...
- Jewish establishment stays silent on Israeli plan to forcibly displace Bedouins (12)
- dbroncos: Obama and Kerry finger their lutes while Palestine continues to be wiped off the map. Bastards!
- The high cost of Israel’s water policies (12)
Author Archives: Sam Bahour
The wandering Europeans: European Council on Foreign Relations report outlines failed EU policy in Israel/Palestine
Next to U.S. support for Israel, the main reason why the military occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip continues is that the Europeans have reduced themselves to a subservient role in the Middle East Peace Process: one in which they underwrite the cost of Israel’s occupation by artificially propping up the Palestinian Authority, which created from the Oslo Peace Accords but has no sovereign authority whatever.
Coming on the heels of a recently published open letter on the Middle East peace process from ‘the European Eminent Persons Group’, a new report from the European Council on Foreign Relations, Europe and the Vanishing Two-State Solution, spills the beans, and they’re all Europeans beans. The author is not your average run-of-the-mill report writer, he is Nick Witney, who previously worked for the European Defence Agency where he was first chief executive. Before that, his career was divided between the UK diplomatic service and UK defence ministry. So Witney is in a position to know.
Secretary of State John Kerry is making an all-out effort to restart peace negotiations between Israel and Palestine. Many well-intentioned people with hands-on experience in resolving other longstanding, global issues, like those of Ireland, South Africa, and U.S. civil rights have engaged in the Palestinian-Israeli issue. While there is always a great deal to learn from other global experiences, the case of Palestine is different and unless Secretary Kerry recognizes this all efforts will be in vain. Three issues related to this conflict that are crucial to understand are: historic guilt, colonial responsibility, and the U.S. “special relationship” with Israel.
Writing from Ramallah, Sam Bahour calls on Jews in the diaspora to speak out against the Israeli Law of Return, which bestows automatic Israeli citizenship on an Jewish person who seeks it while Palestinians are prevented from returning to their homes and lands. Bahour says, “if Diaspora Jews can accept having an Israeli citizenship being held ‘forever’ for them while Palestinians are denied not only citizenship, but basic human rights, then they too are directly partaking in the continued apartheid against Palestinians.”
Roots of Resistance: During the first Intifada Palestinians used our most strategic asset — our people
Sam Bahour reviews the accomplishments of the first intifada and what remains to be done. This post is part of the series “Roots of Resistance: 25 year retrospective on the first intifada.”
The Galilee First: Equal rights for Palestinian citizens of Israel is essential for peace and reconciliation
Sam Bahour reports from the Galilee : “Anyone who thinks that resolving the Israeli military occupation in the West Bank and Gaza Strip would bring peace to the region would be well-advised to peel away the veneer of democratic façade, one that covers an Israeli plan with only one goal in mind: completing the campaign of ethnically cleansing Palestinians that started with the creation of the State of Israel.”
Letter to Presbyterians: Investing in Palestine without divesting from occupation only underwrites the status quo
June 18, 2012 Commissioners 220th General Assembly Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) RE: Divesting from Caterpillar, Inc., Motorola Solutions, and Hewlett Packard Dear Commissioners: I wish you all well from the Holy Land and hope you have a fruitful 220th General Assembly. I write you … Continue reading