- Video: Celebrities, artists and activists call for Palestinian freedom in … 29
- Statement: Legal experts and human rights defenders demand international community … 50
- Photos: Across the U.S., thousands continue to march in solidarity … 9
- ‘Lone soldiers’ and young ideologues from around the world contribute … 35
- New York Times silences Israel’s Palestinian citizens on Gaza war 4
- Israeli embassy puts Mona Lisa in a hijab — ‘Israel … 138
- 9 things the American media isn’t telling you about Israel/Palestine 35
- Video: Frantic scenes during Qalandia demonstration as wounded are rushed … 0
- ‘Israel is wrong by any moral standard’ — Robinson says, … 0
- Israel’s actions ‘unjustified’ in eyes of women, non-whites, Dems, indy’s, … 0
- NY Times reports source of UNRWA school attack is unclear … 0
- In photos: Over 1,000 New Yorkers protest Israel’s attack on … 0
- Horrifying details continue to emerge of massacre in Khuza’a 0
- 10,000 march on Qalandia in solidarity with Gaza 0
- Photo: Message on Israeli shell headed to Gaza, ‘Thats for … 0
- Dr. Kristol’s curriculum: US ‘special responsibilities’ include ‘ancient longings’ of … 0
- Massacre in Gaza: At least 60 killed in Shuja’iyeh, over … 363
- The deafening silence around the Hamas proposal for a 10-year … 245
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) 241
- Finally, Israel is alienating the US mainstream media 237
- Kerry is off the Israel bandwagon 158
- Hamas mimics Hezbollah tactics, and no one will have stability … 152
- Claim that Hamas killed 3 teens is turning out to … 146
- Israeli embassy puts Mona Lisa in a hijab — ‘Israel … 138
- RT @Mogaza: this is scary now. realy scary... the bombs are falling on residential areas! #GAZA, 10 hours ago
- RT @dancohen3000: Netanyahu called for vengeance and Israeli soldiers are taking it on Gazans https://t.co/9CyPpP60kz, 10 hours ago
- Can't tell if this is joke or not, but don't think it is --> Help make it happen Build the Third Temple on @indiegogo http://t.co/0PxvkASHcc, 11 hours ago
- RT @Daraghma1988: #BREAKING: News report the #Israeli occupation warplanes just bombarded the house of Ismail Haniyyah, Former #Palestinian Prime Minister., 12 hours ago
- RT @soysauce4peace: What a failure of humanity we are witnessing in Gaza. Mercy on all who remain., 12 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Which crowded cities can you fire into? (50)
- talknic: @Jon66 … does a double down on stupid “Is it identified so that you know it’s a military...
- just: “And most of all, you’ll be completely safe from persecution.” Not if you disagree with the...
- talknic: @Jon66 does Habara stupid so well! IDF have their headquarters in empty isolated fields? WOW!!! I wonder if...
- Controversial, illegal, and documented: Israeli military strategies in Gaza (40)
- ritzl: @DaBakr: A) Nonsense. B) Complete nonsense. C) What are the tunnels “there for?” You know, skip...
- Dr. Kristol’s curriculum: US ‘special responsibilities’ include ‘ancient longings’ of Jewish nationalists (19)
- Mooser: “Zionism has opened the door wide for the reemergence of white ethnic and Christian religious...
- Breaking: Israel shelling hospital in Beit Hanoun, injured Palestinians and internationals trapped inside (6)
- ‘Israel is wrong by any moral standard’ — Robinson says, as US media pile up (47)
- Sumud: I thought the UN didn’t know the origins of the rockets but you say “the UN has repeatedly...
- NY Times reports source of UNRWA school attack is unclear even though Israel said they did it (35)
- Which crowded cities can you fire into? (50)
Category Archives: Features
972 reports: The murder of Muhammed Abu Khdeir and the military onslaught in Gaza have brought about a wave of protest among Arab citizens of Israel. Reports on that wave should be supplemented by unprecedented data: more than 410 Arab citizens of Israel have been arrested on various grounds related to their participation in demonstrations since July 5, according to data provided by human rights NGO Adalah.
Ma’an news reports: Dozens of Palestinians were injured in Jerusalem after clashes broke out with Israeli forces at the Al-Aqsa compound in the Old City on Friday amid heightened tensions after the Israeli invasion of Gaza the day before.
Latest from Gaza: Israel targets houses, mosques, disabled center and essential infrastructure, 14 more Palestinians killed
The latest news from Gaza as of Saturday morning.
Please help us continue to cover breaking news from Israel/Palestine, and as a thank you get Ali Abunimah’s new book
Mondo is helping to change the conversation about Israel and Palestine, but we need help to do so. Please contribute; and for all those who give $30 or more, a special offer: Ali Abunimah’s new book, The Battle for Justice in Palestine.
Autopsy report shows Mohammed Abu Khdeir was burned to death; reports spread of other possible abductions
Ma’an news reports a preliminary autopsy report shows that 16-year-old Muhammad Abu Khdeir was burnt alive by his kidnappers.
Ma’an news reports: The Palestinian Authority on Sunday condemned the Israeli arrest campaign across the West Bank and airstrikes against the Gaza Strip, denouncing the “collective punishment of the Palestinian people” by Israeli forces.
Mondo readers noticed that the site was down for a couple hours this morning. For a good reason: we had to change servers due to growing traffic
Palestinian prisoner Ayman Itbeish completes 100th day of hunger strike to protest his indefinite detention
Ma’an News reports on Saturday Ayman Itbeish, 34, finished his 100th day of a hunger strike against his indefinite detention with charge by Israeli authorities, and is one of the longest-striking prisoners currently being held.
Ma‘an News reports that Israeli forces injured at least four protesters as they dispersed hundreds of Palestinians taking part in rallies across the West Bank on Thursday to mark the 1967 war that led to the occupation of the region by Israel. Protests marking Naksa Day, meaning “setback” in Arabic, took place at the Qalandiya checkpoint near Ramallah as well as in the southern West Bank city of Hebron.
It’s summer, and we have a wonderful gift for those who give $80 or more to our June fundraiser: a book of Palestinian cooking. Your choice, either Olives, Lemons & Za’atar: The Best Middle Eastern Home Cooking from Rawia Bishara, the owner of the legendary New York restaurant Tanoreen, or The Gaza Kitchen, an exciting compilation of Mediterranean specialties by Laila El-Haddad and Maggie Schmitt. We depend on readers for support, and again and again you have come through. Thank you!
Haaretz’s Barak Ravid reports that leaders of the Yesha Council of settlements met Wednesday evening with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and asked him to bring an end to the freeze on planning, construction, and marketing of settlement housing. Netanyahu told the settlement leaders: “You have no shield greater than I. I fight for you.”
Reuters: The number of Jewish settlers in the West Bank could grow by as much as 50 percent by 2019, Israel’s ultra-nationalist construction minister said on Friday … Construction and Housing Minister Uri Ariel, a member of the hard-line Bayit Yehudi party in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s conservative coalition government, said the negotiations on Palestinian statehood were in their “dying throes” and predicted the settler population would spiral.
The Jerusalem Post reports that an Afula rally to commemorate the life of a local teenager murdered in a suspected terror attack became heated late Saturday night, with some participants throwing rocks at cars belonging to Palestinian citizens of Israel. Eleven youths suspected of taking part in the violence were arrested by police.
The new iNakba app, produced by Zochrot, an Israeli organization, is meant to help the refugees maintain their connections to their villages. “If you are a refugee in the Ein El-Helweh camp in Lebanon and you want to know about your village, you can follow and each time someone adds a comment it goes directly to your inbox,” Ghaneen Jeries, Media Director for Zochrot and the coordinator of iNakba project told The Media Line.
Ma‘an: Four Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jail began a hunger strike on Wednesday in protest against their detention without trial, a Palestinian prisoner advocacy group said on Sunday. News of the four hunger strikers follows reports that over 100 Palestinian prisoners began a mass, open-ended hunger strike in a number of Israeli jails on Thursday in protest against being held without charge or trial under a policy Israel calls “administrative detention.”
Chris Carlson reports for IMEMC: Palestinian researcher Khaled Maali explained that the settlers found launching wild pigs toward the Palestinian farmlands was the best effective way to fight the Palestinian farmers without significant cost. Maali pointed out that the occupation prevents the Palestinians from shooting the pigs, whereas it permits settlers to kill the pigs when they reach their colonial settlements.
Ma‘an reports: Israeli police on Saturday prevented UN Middle East peace envoy Robert Serry from celebrating the Holy Fire ceremony in Jerusalem, a statement from his office said.
Ma‘an: A group of Christians from East Jerusalem on Sunday said that Israel’s restrictions on Palestinian mobility resulted in violations of religious freedoms. The statement, signed “Palestinian Christian Organizations in Occupied East Jerusalem,” complained that Christians are often denied access to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre during the Easter holidays. Each Easter, checkpoints are erected “at the Gates and in the alley, thus preventing the worshipers from free access to the Via Dolorosa, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, and the vicinity of the Christian Quarter.”
Always looking for your Mondoweiss fix? Follow us on Facebook, Twitter & our new and improved newsletter
Sign up for the new and improved Mondoweiss newsletter and follow Mondoweiss on Facebook and Twitter.
Haaretz reports the Israel Lands Authority published tenders for land to build some 3,050 residential units in the first quarter of 2014, but only 45 units are in the center of the country and 55% are in the West Bank or East Jerusalem.
Activists shut down Israeli checkpoint in response to Jenin killings while militants promise ‘painful’ retaliation
Ma‘an reports that activists from the peaceful popular resistance movement on Saturday shut down the Beit El checkpoint north of Ramallah in protest against the killing of three Palestinians by Israeli forces in Jenin earlier in the day.
AFP reports that Israel has progressed with plans for more than 2,000 new homes in six West Bank settlements in a move likely to further endanger peace talks.
From Haaretz: Security services cite current situation in the Gaza Strip, including the rise of Islamic Jihad and Hamas’ governance, as reasons to extend law — …The Citizenship and Entry into Israel Law, which is worded as a temporary order, concerns reunification among families whose entry into Israel represents a security risk in the eyes of the security services.
IMEMC 15 Mar by Chris Carlson — A Gaza official said that the number of the Gaza Palestinians killed by Israel since early 2014, as a result of military escalation, has increased to 18.
Palestinian teen in critical condition after being shot by Israeli soldiers during West Bank protest
Violence / Raids / Clashes / Suppression of protests / Illegal arrests Israeli soldiers ‘shoot, critically injure’ Palestinian teen HEBRON (Ma‘an) 14 Mar — Israeli soldiers shot and critically injured a Palestinian teenager during a protest in Beit Ummar north … Continue reading