- More on the ‘creepy’ al-Dura report 0
- Exile and the Prophetic: Does John Kerry have the keys … 0
- Wolf Blitzer looks for a religious state 1
- Kerry goes for the Hail Mary, but Obama is punting 1
- ‘Forward’ piece on destruction of Palestinian neighborhood fronting Western Wall … 14
- Israel cracks down on American travel to West Bank by … 17
- Bradley Manning rally to feature Ellsberg, Ann Wright, Dan Choi, … 3
- Another ‘NYT’ piece buys Israel’s al-Dura report– which PA spox … 7
- Israeli airport sorts passengers with ‘Jewish stickers’ and ‘Arab stickers’ 2240
- Washington state bus-ad campaign dares to state: ‘Equal rights for … 1716
- Two friends meet for 5 minutes in Jerusalem 1698
- ‘Newseum’ folds under pressure, will not include Gaza cameramen in … 1368
- Palestinian-American Raed Zidan plants flag on top of Everest, dedicates … 1358
- Christians denounce Israel’s manhandling of worshipers at Holy Sepulcher on … 952
- Barbara Boxer’s visa bill for Israel comes under concerted attack 809
- In photos: Gaza marches and rallies mark 65 years of … 442
- International Criminal Court opens preliminary investigation into attack on Mavi … 96
- Kennedy’s insistence on right of return prompted Ben-Gurion to rewrite … 93
- Barbara Boxer’s visa bill for Israel comes under concerted attack 93
- Abulhawa declines to ‘balance out’ several Israelis in ‘Al Jazeera’ … 87
- Washington Post’s racism map omits Israel 73
- Israeli airport sorts passengers with ‘Jewish stickers’ and ‘Arab stickers’ 69
- Uncompromising hope inspired by Ghassan Kanafani 63
- Dershowitz should stop lying about Tutu’s record 56
- RT @MJayRosenberg: I said to top Weiner staffer. "I know he fakes it on Israel but he cares about working people." Answer: NO. He cares ab…, 11 mins ago
- The .@nytimes was hoodwinked by the Israeli al-Dura report http://t.co/74PIweYQtS, 13 mins ago
- More on the ‘creepy’ al-Dura report http://t.co/74PIweYQtS, 17 mins ago
- Watch the Church of Scotland debate over the "The Inheritance of Abraham" report happening now here - http://t.co/1PtYotYRj0, 23 mins ago
- Exile and the Prophetic: Does John Kerry have the keys to Kafka’s (middle east) castle? http://t.co/h5m5Mq8fSx, 56 mins ago
click link to see last 100 comments
- ‘Al Jazeera’ reposts Massad piece, after censoring it (5)
- Philip Weiss: I agree with Shmuel and Yonah’s thrust. Brandeis converted to Zionism in 1912, it is cynically...
- Wolf Blitzer looks for a religious state (1)
- eGuard: Two months ago, during the Obama visit to Jerusalem, Blitzer was the one who stirred up on CNN the heckler...
- Jewish philanthropies stay away from org dedicated to Yiddish culture because it doesn’t focus on Israel or the Holocaust (26)
- Kerry goes for the Hail Mary, but Obama is punting (1)
- Adam Horowitz: The photo begs a caption contest.
- Biden says Jewish ‘influence’ behind American cultural politics is ‘immense… immense’ (41)
- Reporters Without Borders on the Israeli al-Dura investigation: ‘the nature and substance of this report are questionable and give the impression of a smear operation’ (8)
- ‘Al Jazeera’ reposts Massad piece, after censoring it (5)
Our WritersMore Writers
Category Archives: Israel/Palestine
First the Israeli government drank the Koolaid on a rightwing conspiracist theory of how young Muhammad al-Dura died in Gaza 13 years ago. Then the New York Times got in line….
Israel is making Kafka’s castle seem easy to access and navigate. But, then, Palestinians already live in a Kafkaesque world where their appeals to democracies and dictatorships end up in the same garbage can. Since we know that democracies can be imperial and colonial powers, democracies can likewise be regressive and enablers of regressive politics on distant shores. Israel may be a democracy for Jews but it increasingly acts like the only regressive democracy in the Middle East.
Wolf Blitzer is a redneck, in exchange with Oklahoma victim who rebuffs his question, Did she pray to the lord, by saying she’s an atheist
Kerry’s trip to the Middle East is either: Groundhog day to 1991, messianic, or a laughingstock. In any case, nothing will happen, experts say, without Obama showing a willingness to take on AIPAC and the Israeli government. And he won’t. Above, Benjamin Netanyahu speaks with Kerry during Holocaust Remembrance Day at the Yad Vashem memorial in Jerusalem, on April 8, 2013.
‘Forward’ piece on destruction of Palestinian neighborhood fronting Western Wall is not embraced by all ‘Forward’ readers
There are a lot of racist comments about Palestinians in a Forward comment section following a great piece on the destruction of the Mughrabi quarter in 1967
Israeli authorities have found another way to impede free access to the occupied territories for American travelers. Haaretz’s Amira Hass reported over the weekend that tourists from the U.S. have had to sign a declaration requiring them to obtain a military permit for travel to the occupied West Bank. It’s another example of Israeli restrictions on American travel to occupied Palestine, and it exposes a galling aspect of the “special relationship”: all the military aid and diplomatic support to Israel doesn’t shield Americans from being routinely discriminated against based on their political affiliations or ethnic background.
How will Americans regard Bradley Manning 50 years from now? As a hero, says Nathan Fuller
Another ‘NYT’ piece buys Israel’s al-Dura report– which PA spox calls ‘fantastical’ racist propaganda
Shmuel Rosner is (sort of) convinced by bizarre Israeli al-Dura report
Jewish philanthropies stay away from org dedicated to Yiddish culture because it doesn’t focus on Israel or the Holocaust
Yiddishkayt’s Executive Director, Rob Adler-Peckerar, has written an interesting blog post explaining how Jewish philanthropies have all but ignored the Helix program because it does not focus on the Holocaust or Israel.
Reporters Without Borders on the Israeli al-Dura investigation: ‘the nature and substance of this report are questionable and give the impression of a smear operation’
Reporters Without Borders just released a statement on recently released Israeli investigation into the death of Muhammad al-Dura.
The United States in the past decade has now killed at least 225,000 people in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. How could one argue against a Muslim who once admired the United States but has been convinced, by the actions of the country under Bush and Obama, that we are bent on his destruction? — David Bromwich in Huffpo
Joseph Massad’s fiery piece equating Zionism with anti-Semitism was censored by Al Jazeera, then reposted after criticism
From Dylan to Friedan to Einstein, Jews have had an “immense” influence on American cultural politics, Joe Biden says. Yes, and what about the Israel lobby?
A cartoon from Katie Miranda looking at the changing meaning of the term “anti-Semitism.”
“The Inheritance of Abraham” seeks high theological ground but perhaps it would have been better to simply start out: “My name is the Church of Scotland. I have been drunk on Israel for my own selfish reasons. I would like to share my story. I know it’s a day by day thing. I get sober, then I’m not….”
Land, property theft & destruction / Ethnic cleansing / Restriction of movement UNESCO visit to Jerusalem canceled by Israel Times of Israel 20 May by Gavriel Fiske — Palestinian ‘politicization’ of UN mission cited as reason for decision to block … Continue reading
One day after the Palestinian flag reached the top of the world, a flag raising ceremony was held in Paterson, New Jersey (video 3:12) accompanied by the Palestinian national anthem and cheers of “Long Live Palestine”.
In a sweet video, a diverse group of Princeton students support the end of the occupation and blockade, the right of return, and human rights for Palestinians
When a listener asks a question about public broadcasting’s debt to Zionist funders, the Diane Rehm show cuts him off
Pamela Olson’s book tour tracks ongoing sea change in US public opinion: You used to need extra security to bring a pro-Palestine speaker to campus. Now you need extra security to bring a pro-Israel speaker.
Former AIPAC lobbyist assumes weighty mantle (and travel budget) of US Special Envoy on anti-Semitism
MJ Rosenberg on Ira Forman: Why is there a Special Envoy on anti-Semitism? Because the lobby wanted it. And it gets to place its ex-lobbyist in it.
Fresh from its triumph in exposing the Mohammed al-Dura death hoax, a secret Israeli Government Commission is nearing the completion of an even more comprehensive investigation absolving the IDF of all deaths of civilians in Lebanon in 2006, Gaza in 2008-2009, the Mavi Marmara in 2010, and Gaza in November, 2012.
By appealing to people of conscience around the world to help end Israel’s three-tiered system of oppression, the BDS movement is not asking for anything heroic, but for fulfilling a profound moral obligation to desist from complicity in oppression. Given the billions of dollars lavished on Israel annually by western states, particularly the United States and Germany, taxpayers in those countries are in effect subsidising Israel’s violations of international law at a time when social programmes are undergoing severe cuts, unemployment is rising, and the environment is being devastated.
In the current media discourse the actual culture and history of the Arab Jews is completely ignored in favor of a bare-knuckles political approach that marks Jews and Arabs as separate categories. The narrative is one that has been constructed by the Zionists and leaves out the existential and cultural substance of the Sephardic community.
My father, Herbert Moore Ellis, died yesterday. There is darkness in my mind. There is also light. My father’s memory lives on.