- Watch: 9 Jewish activists arrested after occupying Friends of the … 8
- You are not Alone: To Palestinians on July 20, 2014 9
- Mr. Modi– do not court apartheid Israel in my name 8
- Arab reporters come under attack from Israelis 73
- ‘Telegenically Dead’: Israel’s crumbling media war 37
- US Jews occupy Israeli army support office in NY in … 21
- Gaza onslaught is p.r. problem for Israel’s ‘moral authority’ — … 21
- Naomi Wolf walked out of synagogue when they had nothing … 37
- Video: Outraged constituents confront CT Senator Chris Murphy over support … 0
- Arrests without charge of American beating victim’s relatives in Jerusalem … 0
- Nicholas Kristof on how to end the Israel/Palestine conflict 0
- On the defensive, Barney Frank accuses Clemons and Kornacki of … 0
- Mr. Obama, spend one night with us in Shifa hospital, … 0
- The heart of the problem with Israel: The mass expulsion … 0
- Gaza City resident Amal Sarsour: ‘There is no place to … 0
- Israel warns media they are at risk of ‘injury or … 0
- Massacre in Gaza: At least 60 killed in Shuja’iyeh, over … 363
- Finally, Israel is alienating the US mainstream media 229
- ‘We are moving from Iron Dome to an iron fist’: … 216
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) 214
- Israeli strike kills four Palestinian children playing soccer on Gaza … 193
- Understanding Hamas 160
- Israel is in a pickle 138
- The trojan horse of liberal Zionism 105
- RT @Belalmd12: After @caseysjournal tweets this bullshit, IDF retweets and Ofir quotes him. I hold him responsible for my safety. http://t.co/TRZCaVcImj, 1 hour ago
- RT @markperrydc: Air raid sirens in Tel Aviv yesterday forced IDF soldiers and civilians into the same shelters, so civilians were human shields, no?, 2 hours ago
- RT @RobertMackey: Palestinian Family Finds Missing Son in YouTube Video of His Shooting http://t.co/lAHf8jWh5b cites @ISMPalestine @m_alqattawi @jncatron, 2 hours ago
- RT @AliAbunimah: The assertion that Hamas leaders 'don't care how many people die' is based on racist view that Arabs don't value life. Also victim blaming., 2 hours ago
- RT @BarakRavid: BREAKING: PM Netanyahu spoke to SecState @JohnKerry and asked for his help in reversing the FAA decision to halt flights from US to Israel, 2 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Israeli strike kills four Palestinian children playing soccer on Gaza beach (120)
- Kay24: Yes seafoid, no investigations needed for that either. Strange when their criminals do something evil, there...
- Kay24: BBC is breaking News reporting that Israel has announced a comprehensive cease fire from tomorrow (Friday)...
- Inanna: Thanks for the link Denis. I’ll provide a quick translation but nothing will really translate the...
- The trojan horse of liberal Zionism (90)
- MHughes976: Just to revert to the question of the Trojan Horse. The Troy in question might be left-wing opinion in...
- seafoid: Beinart on why liberal Zionsim is no different to the regular version http://www.haaretz.com/opin...
- Mich Levy: The metaphor of the Trojan horse does not imply that there is a Zionist HQ that deploys the Zionist left;...
- Hamas has agreed to a ceasefire, says senior Palestinian official (Updated) (50)
- Walid: More elaboration by Jonathan Cook on the “Egyptian” cease-fire scam involving strings pulling by...
- Following missile attack last Saturday, al-Wafa Hospital receives warnings of new round of bombings (14)
- Joe Catron: “Do you think that missile attacks on Israeli cities and towns are war crimes?” As far as I...
- Report: Hamas offers Israel 10 conditions for a 10 year truce (79)
- Israeli strike kills four Palestinian children playing soccer on Gaza beach (120)
Category Archives: Israel/Palestine
Nine Jewish activists protesting the Israeli assault on Gaza were arrested today after occupying the Friends of the Israel Defense Forces (FIDF) office in midtown Manhattan. The protesters, members of Jewish Voice for Peace (JVP) and Jews Say No! (JSN), stood in the office for an hour, holding a banner, singing songs in Hebrew and English and reading the names of the more than 600 dead who have been killed as a result of the Israeli attack. The act of civil disobedience came amidst a wave of global protests against the Israeli attack.
A speech given to the Chicago Rally for Palestine on July 20, 2014.
There is a strong tradition of Palestinian solidarity in India. Right now it is suppressed at the state level by neoliberalism and military contracts between the countries, and by anti-Muslim feeling stoked by Narendra Modi, but the connections between the peoples have been demonstrated by the big demonstrations against the Gaza atrocities, historian Tithi Bhattacharya writes
A BBC Arabic reporter was shoved by an angry Israeli while on air from Ashkelon; and Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman says the gov’t wants to bar Al Jazeera from the country, even as the outlet’s Gaza offices were struck by Israeli fire
Israeli propaganda has hit a new low. While the world was still trying to come to terms with the mass deaths in Shuja’iyeh, Benjamin Netanyahu went on CNN to state that Hamas uses the “telegenically dead” to further “their cause.” But something new has been happening in the establishment media, particularly since the July 16th tragedy. For the first time, perhaps, Americans are witnessing the suffering of Palestinian people in the establishment press. Even while the framework of “Blame Hamas” dominates mainstream media coverage, the humanity of Palestinian people is cracking through the decades long, well established façade of pro-Israeli propaganda.
More than a dozen Jews occupied the offices of the Friends of the Israeli Defense Forces in NY today, and read the names of victims of the Gaza slaughter. Police had arrived by late this morning
Madeleine Albright says the pictures of civilian deaths in Gaza are “hurting Israel’s moral authority.” Andrea Mitchell is concerned about Israel’s economy, now that airlines aren’t flying in. While Richard Engel and Ayman Mohyeldin document the imprecise nature of the Israeli onslaught.
Author Naomi Wolf went to synagogue Friday and left early because they didn’t mention Gaza massacre, which she regards as a genocide. Where is God? God is standing with your neighbors when they are being annihilated, she writes.
Thane Rosenbaum in the Wall Street Journal treats Palestinian civilian casualties as almost a rite of passage for Jews. Let’s talk about Hamas, he says. But Marc Ellis recalls the words of Rabbi Irving Greenberg on the Holocaust: any statement about violence must be considered by how it would sound to the children burned by the Nazis.
During its first 14 days, the Israeli military aggression on the Gaza Strip has left a toll of over 500 dead, the vast majority of whom civilians, and many more injured. The Israeli government has been quick to put the blame on Hamas, which has been echoed by Western media and governments, but much less noticed was a proposal put forward by Hamas and Islamic Jihad for a 10 year truce on the basis of 10 – very reasonable – conditions. The proposal was in essence in line with what many international experts as well as the United Nations have asked for years, and included some aspects that Israel had already considered as feasible requests in the past. An agreement on the basis of the Hamas proposal could not only stop the current round of hostilities but also pave the way towards a lasting solution of the conflict. The fact that Israel has shown no interest in considering this proposal leads one to wonder whether Israel really wants a long lasting resolution of the conflict. Above, Palestinian rescue workers search for survivors under the rubble of a house was destroyed by an Israeli missile strike, in Gaza City on Monday.
‘We have nothing left to lose. I would rather die with my family under the rubble of our house than have a humiliating truce’: Palestinian youth demand justice
Pam Bailey writes that in dozens of conversations with youth in Gaza, the opinion was nearly universal: Despite their heavy losses and the gross imbalance of power, they do not want a ceasefire that merely stops the immediate fighting and promises to open negotiations on their other grievances. No. What they insist on – demand – is a ceasefire tied to an end to their repression, even if it means more death and destruction for their people. Life is meaningless, they say, if it is spent under the boot of an oppressor. She concludes the decisions of tens of thousands of Palestinians in Gaza to stay in their homes was not the result of Hamas ordering them to sacrifice themselves as human shields, as Benjamin Netanyahu would have you believe, but the principled actions of a proud, independent people. And when Hamas rejected the ceasefire unilaterally declared by Egypt and Israel, it had the support of the vast majority of residents.
Mark Rausch writes from Ramallah on the response to the Hamas announcement that they had captured an Israeli soldier.
It’s a moral abomination to emulate Nazi tactics in the name of the Jewish people and their alleged security: cowardly massive bombings and slaughter of civilian populations who have no air force to protect them, collective punishment and torture, mass incarcerations, destruction of thousands of homes, and the vicious blockade and ghettoization of Gaza. Lenny Lapon, an author and retired teacher, writes about his renunciation of Israeli citizenship.
Video of an Israeli raid Bethlehem’s Aida Refugee Camp early in the morning on July 21st, 2014. Soldiers arrested 3 young men and assaulted several others. They confiscated footage from that night’s clashes in Bethlehem from journalist Mohammed Al Azza, briefly detained him and assaulted him and his two younger brothers. A father in the camp attempts twice to visit his brother’s home being raided by soldiers in an effort to see his son, and is denied violently by IDF. Screams can be heard in the streets as gunfire and sound bombs from the Israel military go off while youth throw stones toward the soldiers.
Israeli peace activist Rann Bar-On provides an account of the weekend’s violence and demonstrations in Haifa. Palestinians and Israeli Jews gathered to demonstrate against Israel’s attack on Gaza, and were greeted by right-wing protesters who chanted, ” Death to Arabs”, “Death to traitors” and “Death to leftists.” The right-wing demonstrators also threw stones at the peace activists.
The International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network (IJAN) and Jews Against Genocide (JAG) call on Jews of Conscience to “lay siege” on Israeli consulates with protests, creative actions, pickets and demonstrations and to protest events that attempt to justify Israel’s brutality against the Palestinian people.
An open letter to the American media asking for more accurate coverage of the Israeli assault on Gaza.
Netanyahu’s latest “cartoon evidence” of Palestinian terrorism has a stereotypical drawing of a Muslim woman with her head covered walking her baby and protecting a militant. In the US we would call that racist and Islamophobic.
The patently brutal and disastrous Israeli policy in Gaza is at last opening space inside the US mainstream media to express criticism of Israel. The conflict is repulsing the mainstream much as the massacres of Cast Lead five years ago forever alienated the US left.
Is the CNN headline “100 people killed today in Israel, Gaza fighting” the result of bias or incompetence?
Dore Stein on KALW, a public radio in San Francisco, has a “Gaza Corner” of readings on the blockade of Gaza. Last Saturday night he read excerpts of Heathcote Williams’s searing poem about Israeli genocidal visions for Palestine.
Over 400 Palestinians have been killed in Israel’s latest attack on Gaza. One of the Israelis killed is a Bedouin. This community lacks bomb shelters, despite an urgent request to provide them.
Violence has come to define Jews as a people, witness the cheering of Gaza deaths. But the world’s condemnation won’t dissuade Israel of this choice; and Palestinians are now on the other side of history.
Anti-Muslim activist Pamela Geller spoke at a pro-Israel rally Sunday in New York City. Appearing at the same event was Eliot Engel, a Congressional Democrat. While Geller is a far-right anti-Muslim blogger who has said that President Obama is a Muslim and Engel is a liberal Democrat, those political differences melt away when it comes to showing up to support Israel’s assault on Gaza.
Photos of protests around the world in solidarity with the people of Gaza.