- Mohammed Al-Azza tells Dublin why Aida camp resists occupation 2
- ‘Haaretz’ removes red-baiting headline — ‘I’m not anti-Israel’ — on … 3
- ‘Like the NRA, AIPAC sows fear in the halls of … 8
- Tensions rise on Temple Mount as rightwing Jews seek to … 10
- On Easter, costly Jews – and costly Palestinians 9
- ‘Israel is the home of all Jews,’ declares a right-wing … 25
- Mark Halperin excommunicates Rand Paul, over Israel 49
- Long ago, Bill Buckley and Woody Allen agreed on occupation 8
- Roger Ailes demands NY village official take down ‘Facebook’ post. … 0
- On Easter week, Shaath says millions of Palestinians are denied … 0
- Let God’s people go — and return, too 0
- NY Times profile of Gazan long distance runner reveals reality … 0
- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel 0
- American citizen, translator and student—Mariam Barghouti arrested and detained in … 0
- Palestinian writers bring Gaza’s hardships to American audience 0
- Fear of Arab-Americans in the public square 0
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link … 185
- Simon Schama’s Israel whitewash 158
- Alterman says BDS is helping Netanyahu 111
- Amid ‘climate of fear’ at Vassar, president comes out against … 104
- Alleged K.C. killer: ‘If Jews can have a state of … 100
- 6 DC heavyweights tell Kerry, Netanyahu in West Bank is … 99
- The Jewish community must not embrace Ayaan Hirsi Ali 97
- ‘There’s a lot of anti-Semitism out there’ — Johansson reviews … 93
- Tensions rise on Temple Mount as rightwing Jews seek to hold Passover rituals there http://t.co/9AbCKTTCIP, 8 hours ago
- Right-wing Israeli official says Israel is the home of all Jews & more news from Mondoweiss - http://t.co/IIJZkS5REa, 14 hours ago
- RT @Ali_Gharib: ‘Israel is the home of all Jews,’ declares a right-wing official http://t.co/rPj17uJLTM // I thought New York was your home, @EliClifton?, Apr 18
- Long ago, Bill Buckley and Woody Allen agreed on occupation http://t.co/iJJGCcrHNp, Apr 18
- ‘Israel is the home of all Jews,’ declares a right-wing official http://t.co/yMgZDiLFRW, Apr 18
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- On Easter, costly Jews – and costly Palestinians (9)
- Tensions rise on Temple Mount as rightwing Jews seek to hold Passover rituals there (10)
- ‘Israel is the home of all Jews,’ declares a right-wing official (25)
- piotr: I am not sure if hypocrisy was the issue. The “common sense thinking” 100 years ago was...
- Reports of anti-Semitism in Ukraine and Hungary (46)
- lysias: John Kerry, the head of the department in which Victoria Nuland is a high-ranking official.
- Mohammed Al-Azza tells Dublin why Aida camp resists occupation (2)
Category Archives: Israel/Palestine
Palestinian sumud is so strong in Aida refugee camp, as photographer Mohammed Al-Azza demonstrates in a talk in Dublin, that Israel must come to a political understanding as equals with the people under occupation
Haaretz had a redbaiting headline on its Steve Walt interview — “I’m not anti-Israel,” Now it’s replaced it with a headline asking why Walt wants to end the special relationship between the countries
John Aravosis praises a sensational terrifying Bloomberg ad taking on the gun lobby as worthy of AIPAC — but would anyone ever run such an ad against AIPAC and the special relationship of the US and Israel?
Richard Silverstein exposes the rightwing Temple Institute’s plans for the Temple Mount, even as six Palestinians are arrested for throwing stones in protest of rightwing Jewish encroachment on the holy site
Christians atone for the teaching that Jews crucified Jesus, from the Gospel of John. But Jews must atone for the treatment of Palestinians, which Christians have allowed them to get away with, says Marc Ellis at Mondoweiss.net
Is Israel your home? Israel’s deputy foreign minister, a rightwing Jewish nationalist, says it’s clear to see that Israel is home to all the world’s Jews.
Mark Halperin says Rand Paul’s views on Israel disqualify him. “That guy could evolve from Passover to Easter to Christmas to every holiday in the world. He could spend his whole life evolving….That is an important part of the current view of foreign policy. He can evolve all he wants, I just don’t think he can get over that hurdle”
In a TV show not long after ’67 war, Woody Allen quipped that Israel shouldn’t give the occupied land back, but “sell it back.” Conservative guest Bill Buckley echoed him and went further.
Margaret Sullivan, the Times public editor, says she is “troubled” by a decision by the New York Times Jerusalem bureau to go along with an Israeli gag order and not report news of the detention of Israeli Palestinian journalist Majd Kayyal by Israeli secret police
News reports are casting doubt on authenticity of anti-Semitic fliers attributed to pro-Russian forces in Ukraine, saying they are likely a provocation. Hungary’s anti-Semitic party’s rise is a more concerning development.
Scriptures should evolve to include what is done in God’s name after the forming of faith communities. Expand the Passover story to include the modern state of Israel. Shall we call it the Book of Palestine? Or we could recite both histories together – the Book of Exodus and the Book of Palestine.
Allison Deger talks with youth activists in Ramallah who took to the streets in the past to protest Palestinian negotiations with Israel, but now are sitting it out as they do not believe their representatives will listen to their grievances. Bassel from al-Walaja says, “We are not objecting to just the negotiations and their failures and their success. We’re against the whole thing: recognizing Israel, the two-state solution. We’re against all of it in principle.” Above, Palestinian security forces beat youth protesters with batons at a demonstration in 2013.
After long angry interview with Steve Walt, Haaretz writer Chemi Shalev has an epiphany born of his late mother’s experience in Europe: Walt is one of those gentiles who pretend to like Jews but doesn’t.
Jews need Passover today like Christians need salvation – to be diverted from the injustice we are enabling. Has Passover become a faux prophetic trope to banish the unstable Jewish prophetic?
Before journalist and author Max Blumenthal turned his eye towards Israel/Palestine, he was a dogged investigator of the seedy world of neo-Nazism and white supremacism in the U.S. But now, liberal Israeli newspaper Haaretz has joined right-leaning Israel advocates in trying to turn the tables on him by linking the journalist to Frazier Glenn Miller, the suspect in Sunday’s deadly shooting at two Jewish centers in Kansas City.
The Cornell student government last week voted to table a resolution calling for divestment from companies profiting off the Israeli occupation. Students in favor of divestment reacted in anger at the decision to table the vote.
Palestinian sources are saying that a device mounted to Israel’s separation wall north of Bethelehm is a remote-controlled machine gun, which produces anxiety among Bethlehemites.
Tom Friedman channels Max Blumenthal, telling American Jews that Israel isn’t a place they’d love. It’s filled with religious zealots and political extremists
Mariam Barghouti, a 20 year-old university student and translator was arrested last Friday in Nabi Saleh and six days later is still locked in an Israeli jail cell. Despite being an American citizen she is facing trumped up charges of stone throwing that can carry a three-month sentence in jail.
Jodi Rudoren, the New York Times Jerusalem Bureau Chief, has been remiss in her Gaza coverage so Ira Glunts was surprised by her article titled, “Mideast Tensions Sideline a Gazan Marathon Runner.” It featured the video at the top on The Times’ web site and was mostly free of the “balancing” Israeli government point-of-view which always seems to be prominent in the newspaper’s articles about Palestinians.
The Exodus story isn’t for the faint of heart – unless you’re play acting, which most Jewish observance of Passover amounts to, if we’re honest. Marc Ellis on reinterpreting the Passover Seder.
Stephanie Hawkins, a village trustee in upstate NY, has stood up to an onslaught of legal threats from Fox News chairman Roger Ailes because of a Facebook post she wrote that he didn’t like.
‘Every Easter we hope for the resurrection of our people as a free nation’,” said Nabil Shaath, decrying lack of access to Jerusalem
The Gaza Writes Back book tour has brought the lack of Palestinian freedom of movement home to American audiences in an unplanned way. Sarah Ali, a contributor to the book, was supposed to be on tour with Rawan Yaghi, Yousef Aljamal and Refaat Alareer. But she was denied a visa by Israel. Nevertheless, the tour has carried on, with the contributors giving presentations on the realities of life in Gaza and the impact of Operation Cast Lead, Israel’s attack on Gaza at the end of 2008.
Many have expressed fear of Arab and Muslim-American political actions on campus. The fear is of a different point of view being expressed, the challenge to an establishment that has killed 100s of 1000s of Muslims around the world.