- ‘Children killed in their sleep’: Israeli artillery fire hits UN … 88
- The threat of sanctions worked against Israel in 1956 — … 30
- Remnick gets the timeline wrong 16
- ‘Israel today, Israel tomorrow, Israel forever,’ Rep. Hakeem Jeffries says … 41
- Gaza protests across West Bank are suppressed by skunk water, … 3
- Video: Mark Regev, deciphered 30
- More voices describe Gaza slaughter as a ‘genocide’ 25
- Over a hundred people join Norman Finkelstein for civil disobedience … 5
- Survivors of massacre in Khuza’a say Israeli forces used Palestinians … 0
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) 0
- Pro-Israel Facebook page is titled, ‘Death to Dianna Buttu’ 0
- Claim that Hamas killed 3 teens is turning out to … 0
- As in Vietnam and South Africa, Gazan masses are willing … 0
- The killing fields 0
- Video: Protesters set Israeli checkpoint aflame following funeral in Beit … 0
- Destruction of Gaza’s children is something ‘every one of us … 0
- Video: If you voted for Hamas, Israel has a right … 258
- The deafening silence around the Hamas proposal for a 10-year … 245
- In Photos: Worldwide protest against Israeli attack on Gaza (Updated) 241
- Finally, Israel is alienating the US mainstream media 237
- Kerry is off the Israel bandwagon 161
- Hamas mimics Hezbollah tactics, and no one will have stability … 152
- Israeli embassy puts Mona Lisa in a hijab — ‘Israel … 151
- Claim that Hamas killed 3 teens is turning out to … 146
- RT @JulieCouz: Gaza toll (MoH): 1,364 dead (315 children and 166 women). Wounded: 6,785 (2,307 children & 1,529 women, 2 hours ago
- RT @Jonathan_K_Cook: Depressing reality: Israel's killing in Gaza about to surpass the 1,400 killed in Op Cast Lead in 2009. And no end in sight., 2 hours ago
- RT @RobinDGKelley: Powerful essay by David Lloyd, Slaughter is not self-defense: The assault on Gaza and the corruption of language http://t.co/E90EvxKFXr, 10 hours ago
- RT @BenEhrenreich: Americans, in case you were still wondering what 1361 dead Gazans have to do with you: http://t.co/fnV17AgkQj, 10 hours ago
- RT @RobinDGKelley: My response to @cvaldary ignorant "letter" was written 2 years before http://t.co/rDcJbI7o7B backed by AIPAC & CUFI http://t.co/U9FINpCao4, 10 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Video: If you voted for Hamas, Israel has a right to kill you, says president of NY Board of Rabbis (245)
- ‘Children killed in their sleep’: Israeli artillery fire hits UN school, killing at least 20 (53)
- AlGhorear: It gets worse. U.S. resupplies Israel with munitions as Gaza offensive rages
- The threat of sanctions worked against Israel in 1956 — and it can work again (10)
- ‘Israel today, Israel tomorrow, Israel forever,’ Rep. Hakeem Jeffries says at NY rally (31)
- Slaughter is not self-defense: The assault on Gaza and the corruption of language (31)
- Video: If you voted for Hamas, Israel has a right to kill you, says president of NY Board of Rabbis (245)
Category Archives: Neocons
We protesters against the Iraq war were wrong: we did not see just how bad it would be. But Israel’s American neocon boosters got exactly what they wanted– a “clean break” from the historic power struggle in the region, through destabilization of Arab capitals.
Before journalist and author Max Blumenthal turned his eye towards Israel/Palestine, he was a dogged investigator of the seedy world of neo-Nazism and white supremacism in the U.S. But now, liberal Israeli newspaper Haaretz has joined right-leaning Israel advocates in trying to turn the tables on him by linking the journalist to Frazier Glenn Miller, the suspect in Sunday’s deadly shooting at two Jewish centers in Kansas City.
Right-wing news outlets and Israel lobby groups have mounted a concerted campaign over the past few days to attack students leading the call for divestment at the University of Michigan (UM). The latest attack smears a student over a photo, the meaning of which was distorted by a neoconservative news outlet.
Did Nelson Mandela label Israel an ‘apartheid’ regime? Israel’s apologists claimed he did in 1990, apparently misquoting Mandela for their own political objectives.
‘Pro-Life? Pro-Israel?’: Israeli anti-abortion organization reaches out for US support to fight demographic war in the Jewish state
An Israeli anti-abortion group is reaching out to Christian Zionists and pro-choice advocates in the United States in an effort to increase the state’s Jewish population. The organization, Efrat, is an Israeli anti-abortion group with hundreds of volunteers that counsel Jewish women against abortion and provide support for the first year of the child’s life. While in the U.S. pro-life discourse focuses on morality, Efrat looks at abortion from a demographics perspective — promoting what they call an “inner aliyah,” or increasing Israel’s Jewish population by pumping up the birthrate via anti-abortion counseling and subsidies. Despite the apparent political contradiction, the organization has received support from abortion rights stalwarts such as New York Senator Chuck Schumer, and wide support from the American Jewish community.
Legendary music start Pat Boone markets plots of Israeli land to Christian Zionists in infomercials for an evangelical Texas television network. Better get in soon, though– the price lately jumped 1000 percent!
“There’s a battle raging/with a people and a land,” croons a member of an American Christian Zionist family that is bringing hundreds of the faithful to help Israeli settlers farm illegally on the West Bank. By means of agricultural expansion, Israel maintains a direct hold over around 80 percent of the West Bank, and one-third of Palestinians farmers can no longer access their fields, according to a new report.
The claim that the Jewish form of the prophetic is the root of the Jewish tradition and is peculiar to it is challenged by neo-conservative Jews and Jews on the universalist Left. Jewish neoconservatives want empire without internal critique; Jews on the universal Left want justice without a claim of particularity. However, due to the highly charged nature of Jewish history, no matter what Jews want they can’t have it both ways.
Our Jewish way of being is fundamentally flawed. We suffer from an empire addiction. Everything that goes along with this peculiar and seductive addiction is found in contemporary Jewish life. It stifles Jewish dissent and cloaks our primal prophetic. It defines our Yom Kippur services and renders them false. Empire addiction is insidious.
President Barack Obama’s August 31 announcement that he would seek congressional authorization to strike Syria has complicated an aggressive Israeli campaign to render a US attack inevitable. While the Israelis are far from the only force in bringing the US to the brink of war – obviously Assad’s own actions are the driving factor – their dubious intelligence assessments have proven pivotal.
Israeli and Palestinian leaders are set to begin direct negotiations in a few days, but already Israel passed new subsidies for settlements, settlers lobbied congress, and two Palestinian political parties protested against the negotiations.
The Jewish News Service is more than an up and coming news outlet, its directors are board members and/or paid staff of neoconservative groups that pushed American on the war path, and Israel on the conquest path.
Oligarch Valley: How Beverly Hills billionaire farmers Lynda and Stewart Resnick profit from the Iran sanctions they lobbied for
Beverly Hills agri-billionaires Lynda and Stewart Resnick have benefited handsomely from sanctions on Iran and have built a billion dollar pistachio business. In the process the Resnicks have made common cause with oil companies, Islamophobes, neocons and Likudniks, and began funneling money to think tanks and political advocacy groups that take a hardline approach with Iran. Economic sanctions, sabotage, vilification—all these things worked in the Resnicks’ interest. Bombing some of Iran’s pistachio fields wouldn’t be so bad, either…
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced Tuesday that Ron Dermer, his speechwriter and chief adviser, is the next Israeli ambassador to the U.S. Dermer, a Florida-born political operative, is sure to bring a brash, neoconservative attitude to Washington to advocate on Israel’s behalf. He will be taking over the post from another American-born Israeli official, Michael Oren. When Netanyahu and Obama were at odds, Dermer once reportedly called Obama “Barack Hussein Obama”
Is this the beginning of a beautiful relationship or what? Sheldon Adelson championed Newt Gingrich and then Mitt Romney during the US presidential election, in an effort to ensure Israeli control of the occupied territories forever, and has long supported Benjamin Netanyahu for the same rightwing goal. But he appears to be covering his bases, meeting with Yair Lapid, the centrist meteor in Israeli politics. Lapid was careful not to criticize Israeli settlements during the recent campaign, and has partnered with rightwinger Naftali Bennett. No wonder he’s meeting with Adelson
Yesh Din, human rights organization, can document “ten separate and serious incidents in which Israeli civilians have attacked Palestinians” in occupied West Bank over last week
‘The tide of public opinion is turning’ — Committee for Open Discussion of Zionism commends Brooklyn College
CODZ commends Brooklyn College for upholding academic freedom after Dershowitz calls for withdrawal of departmental sponsorship of BDS event.
Potential future presidential candidate Marco Rubio has hired neoconservative operative Jamie Fly as his counselor for foreign and national security affairs. Fly, a former Bush administration official, is an ultra-hawk on Iran.
Sam Stein says Hagel is a “clean break” on Bush war policy, coincidentally referring to neocon manifesto of that name
The neocon publication ‘Washington Free Beacon’ attempted to smear Chuck Hagel by reporting that, in the midst of a dispute over whether to close the USO port in Haifa in the late 80s, Hagel said ‘Let the Jews pay for it’ in a meeting with Jewish leaders. But other reporting in The Atlantic makes clear that the Free Beacon’s source is wrong.
What will Rachel Maddow do if Republicans are the only opposition to Hagel? Fall into line with Democrats, more than likely
Foreign Policy magazine reports that President Obama is expected to pick former Nebraska Senator Chuck Hagel as his new Secretary of Defense on Monday. Reporter Josh Rogin writes: ‘Several sources close to the process said have told The Cable that the White House and Hagel have been in touch on a regular basis and that Hagel is indeed the expected pick.’
Max Ajl and Charles Davis deliver sharp ripostes to those on the left who think it’s worthwhile to defend Chuck Hagel. They make important contributions to the debate, with their pieces serving as a reminder that the Hagel nomination is more symbolic than anything and that U.S. policy is not going to change radically just because a more heterodox Defense Secretary is in.
The Middle East Forum, led by neoconservative Daniel Pipes, embarked on a smear campaign against an Iranian-American group. The target: the National Iranian American Council, which the Middle East forum labeled as shills and lobbyists for the Iranian regime. The main reason why Pipes’ group led the campaign is because NIAC is working to prevent a war on Iran–something that Pipes desperately wants.
Liberals have taken to defending Chuck Hagel from an onslaught of neoconservative smears. But they’re doing it all wrong. Instead of highlighting the fact that on some issues, Hagel challenges Washington orthodoxy, they’re running away from that and telling the world that Hagel loves Israel just as much as everyone else does.