- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link … 71
- Cornell student government puts the kibosh on divestment debate 2
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an 6
- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel 41
- American citizen, translator and student—Mariam Barghouti arrested and detained in … 7
- NY Times profile of Gazan long distance runner reveals reality … 5
- Let God’s people go — and return, too 2
- Roger Ailes demands NY village official take down ‘Facebook’ post. … 2
- Two desperate anti-Semitism charges, from Foxman and Boteach 0
- To reach the ‘moveable middle’ in Jewish life, you must … 0
- Amid ‘climate of fear’ at Vassar, president comes out against … 0
- About that special relationship… 0
- Why are two Republican congressmen doing a walkabout on the … 0
- A prayer for Passover 0
- Israel to annex 1,000 dunam of Palestinian land; Peace Now … 0
- The Jewish community must not embrace Ayaan Hirsi Ali 0
- Simon Schama’s Israel whitewash 158
- ‘Poof’ — Kerry blames Israel for breakdown of talks (Updated) 144
- Alterman says BDS is helping Netanyahu 110
- 66 years ago today 42 members of my family were … 107
- Amid ‘climate of fear’ at Vassar, president comes out against … 104
- Alleged K.C. killer: ‘If Jews can have a state of … 100
- 6 DC heavyweights tell Kerry, Netanyahu in West Bank is … 99
- The Jewish community must not embrace Ayaan Hirsi Ali 97
- Updated: Remote-control weapon installed atop wall near Bethlehem may shoot water/skunk water instead of live ammo http://t.co/c2gMBYyA4J, 11 mins ago
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an http://t.co/c2gMBYyA4J, 13 mins ago
- RT @henrystreetedit: Israel arrests and detains US citizen, translator and student Mariam Barghouti http://t.co/wuB1Uusib4 #FreeMariam, 29 mins ago
- RT @theIMEU: American citizen, translator and student—Mariam Barghouti arrested and detained in West Bank (Mondoweiss) http://t.co/Wv70wI5ooS, 2 hours ago
- RT @RRodrickBeiler: @Mondoweiss they were playing with it during last week's #PalestineMarathon pointing it at runners and journalists... http://t.co/6Mql0Xe8BF, 4 hours ago
Mondoweiss in your Inbox
click link to see last 100 comments
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link Max Blumenthal to KC shooter suspect (71)
- pabelmont: Ellen, somewhat to defeat your defense of Burg – Most boycotts and sanctions have been aimed at...
- pabelmont: Did MJR get a new job, a new wife, new support, or been an object of new threats? He really does seem to...
- pabelmont: If Pipes, no slouch at it himself, claims that Max was raving, he should give examples of the raving....
- Fear of Arab-Americans in the public square (44)
- Friedman prepares American Jews for a divorce from zealot Israel (41)
- NY Times profile of Gazan long distance runner reveals reality of occupation (5)
- Ira Glunts: Helena, Point taken. Thanks for your comment and the other three comments here. Ira
- Updated: Remote-control gun installed atop wall near Bethlehem — Ma’an (6)
- a blah chick: I take it then that you would not mind it set up across the street from your house and pointing into...
- Haaretz joins Rush Limbaugh and company in trying to link Max Blumenthal to KC shooter suspect (71)
Category Archives: Neocons
Before journalist and author Max Blumenthal turned his eye towards Israel/Palestine, he was a dogged investigator of the seedy world of neo-Nazism and white supremacism in the U.S. But now, liberal Israeli newspaper Haaretz has joined right-leaning Israel advocates in trying to turn the tables on him by linking the journalist to Frazier Glenn Miller, the suspect in Sunday’s deadly shooting at two Jewish centers in Kansas City.
Right-wing news outlets and Israel lobby groups have mounted a concerted campaign over the past few days to attack students leading the call for divestment at the University of Michigan (UM). The latest attack smears a student over a photo, the meaning of which was distorted by a neoconservative news outlet.
Did Nelson Mandela label Israel an ‘apartheid’ regime? Israel’s apologists claimed he did in 1990, apparently misquoting Mandela for their own political objectives.
‘Pro-Life? Pro-Israel?’: Israeli anti-abortion organization reaches out for US support to fight demographic war in the Jewish state
An Israeli anti-abortion group is reaching out to Christian Zionists and pro-choice advocates in the United States in an effort to increase the state’s Jewish population. The organization, Efrat, is an Israeli anti-abortion group with hundreds of volunteers that counsel Jewish women against abortion and provide support for the first year of the child’s life. While in the U.S. pro-life discourse focuses on morality, Efrat looks at abortion from a demographics perspective — promoting what they call an “inner aliyah,” or increasing Israel’s Jewish population by pumping up the birthrate via anti-abortion counseling and subsidies. Despite the apparent political contradiction, the organization has received support from abortion rights stalwarts such as New York Senator Chuck Schumer, and wide support from the American Jewish community.
Legendary music start Pat Boone markets plots of Israeli land to Christian Zionists in infomercials for an evangelical Texas television network. Better get in soon, though– the price lately jumped 1000 percent!
“There’s a battle raging/with a people and a land,” croons a member of an American Christian Zionist family that is bringing hundreds of the faithful to help Israeli settlers farm illegally on the West Bank. By means of agricultural expansion, Israel maintains a direct hold over around 80 percent of the West Bank, and one-third of Palestinians farmers can no longer access their fields, according to a new report.
The claim that the Jewish form of the prophetic is the root of the Jewish tradition and is peculiar to it is challenged by neo-conservative Jews and Jews on the universalist Left. Jewish neoconservatives want empire without internal critique; Jews on the universal Left want justice without a claim of particularity. However, due to the highly charged nature of Jewish history, no matter what Jews want they can’t have it both ways.
Our Jewish way of being is fundamentally flawed. We suffer from an empire addiction. Everything that goes along with this peculiar and seductive addiction is found in contemporary Jewish life. It stifles Jewish dissent and cloaks our primal prophetic. It defines our Yom Kippur services and renders them false. Empire addiction is insidious.
President Barack Obama’s August 31 announcement that he would seek congressional authorization to strike Syria has complicated an aggressive Israeli campaign to render a US attack inevitable. While the Israelis are far from the only force in bringing the US to the brink of war – obviously Assad’s own actions are the driving factor – their dubious intelligence assessments have proven pivotal.
Israeli and Palestinian leaders are set to begin direct negotiations in a few days, but already Israel passed new subsidies for settlements, settlers lobbied congress, and two Palestinian political parties protested against the negotiations.
The Jewish News Service is more than an up and coming news outlet, its directors are board members and/or paid staff of neoconservative groups that pushed American on the war path, and Israel on the conquest path.
Oligarch Valley: How Beverly Hills billionaire farmers Lynda and Stewart Resnick profit from the Iran sanctions they lobbied for
Beverly Hills agri-billionaires Lynda and Stewart Resnick have benefited handsomely from sanctions on Iran and have built a billion dollar pistachio business. In the process the Resnicks have made common cause with oil companies, Islamophobes, neocons and Likudniks, and began funneling money to think tanks and political advocacy groups that take a hardline approach with Iran. Economic sanctions, sabotage, vilification—all these things worked in the Resnicks’ interest. Bombing some of Iran’s pistachio fields wouldn’t be so bad, either…
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced Tuesday that Ron Dermer, his speechwriter and chief adviser, is the next Israeli ambassador to the U.S. Dermer, a Florida-born political operative, is sure to bring a brash, neoconservative attitude to Washington to advocate on Israel’s behalf. He will be taking over the post from another American-born Israeli official, Michael Oren. When Netanyahu and Obama were at odds, Dermer once reportedly called Obama “Barack Hussein Obama”
Is this the beginning of a beautiful relationship or what? Sheldon Adelson championed Newt Gingrich and then Mitt Romney during the US presidential election, in an effort to ensure Israeli control of the occupied territories forever, and has long supported Benjamin Netanyahu for the same rightwing goal. But he appears to be covering his bases, meeting with Yair Lapid, the centrist meteor in Israeli politics. Lapid was careful not to criticize Israeli settlements during the recent campaign, and has partnered with rightwinger Naftali Bennett. No wonder he’s meeting with Adelson
Yesh Din, human rights organization, can document “ten separate and serious incidents in which Israeli civilians have attacked Palestinians” in occupied West Bank over last week
‘The tide of public opinion is turning’ — Committee for Open Discussion of Zionism commends Brooklyn College
CODZ commends Brooklyn College for upholding academic freedom after Dershowitz calls for withdrawal of departmental sponsorship of BDS event.
Potential future presidential candidate Marco Rubio has hired neoconservative operative Jamie Fly as his counselor for foreign and national security affairs. Fly, a former Bush administration official, is an ultra-hawk on Iran.
Sam Stein says Hagel is a “clean break” on Bush war policy, coincidentally referring to neocon manifesto of that name
The neocon publication ‘Washington Free Beacon’ attempted to smear Chuck Hagel by reporting that, in the midst of a dispute over whether to close the USO port in Haifa in the late 80s, Hagel said ‘Let the Jews pay for it’ in a meeting with Jewish leaders. But other reporting in The Atlantic makes clear that the Free Beacon’s source is wrong.
What will Rachel Maddow do if Republicans are the only opposition to Hagel? Fall into line with Democrats, more than likely
Foreign Policy magazine reports that President Obama is expected to pick former Nebraska Senator Chuck Hagel as his new Secretary of Defense on Monday. Reporter Josh Rogin writes: ‘Several sources close to the process said have told The Cable that the White House and Hagel have been in touch on a regular basis and that Hagel is indeed the expected pick.’
Max Ajl and Charles Davis deliver sharp ripostes to those on the left who think it’s worthwhile to defend Chuck Hagel. They make important contributions to the debate, with their pieces serving as a reminder that the Hagel nomination is more symbolic than anything and that U.S. policy is not going to change radically just because a more heterodox Defense Secretary is in.
The Middle East Forum, led by neoconservative Daniel Pipes, embarked on a smear campaign against an Iranian-American group. The target: the National Iranian American Council, which the Middle East forum labeled as shills and lobbyists for the Iranian regime. The main reason why Pipes’ group led the campaign is because NIAC is working to prevent a war on Iran–something that Pipes desperately wants.
Liberals have taken to defending Chuck Hagel from an onslaught of neoconservative smears. But they’re doing it all wrong. Instead of highlighting the fact that on some issues, Hagel challenges Washington orthodoxy, they’re running away from that and telling the world that Hagel loves Israel just as much as everyone else does.
Araqib village razed for the 45th time The Israeli authorities razed the Araqib village in the Negev desert for the 45th time running claiming that the houses were built without permit. http://www.palestine-info.co.uk/En/default.aspx?xyz=U6Qq7k%2bcOd87MDI46m9rUxJEpMO%2bi1s7vXQ1K%2fMuDsCkqnw6%2bvby1pNLrmIM%2bZy0PWyVFlZRt202uHCOQg7uFfJ0FjSQC%2bxKkVVgUJJZG%2b78fvC4q1CUnE3Tc9KA3k9yiFHr0W7tBUA%3d Land Theft & Destruction / Ethnic Cleansing / … Continue reading