Cable News Uses Assimilating Blacks to Paint Rev. Wright as Nuts. When Do Assimilating Jews Get Their Turn Re Israel?

US Politics

Today cable news shows trotted out two black commentators, Jonathan Capeheart of the Washington Post and–I’m going to get this wrong–but someone I believe is named Maria Wall of the Washington Times, to say in so many words that Rev. Jeremiah Wright is an extremist who is out of touch with the mainstream black church. A black anchor whose name I missed echoed the theme. The two pundits invoked their own experience as black Americans. Who am I to question them? They are, to use Michelle Obama’s word from her 1985 thesis, assimilationist. They feel safe in mainstream America. (In his first book, Obama himself describes such types as Uncle Toms.  I’m sure he doesn’t feel this way today.)

I draw one lesson from this. There are countless signs that young Jews, who are intermarrying at the rate of 62 percent, who don’t have Holocaust memories, who feel safe in America, are moving away from blind support for Israel.  Will non-Zionist Jews be given a platform in the media to assail the Israel lobby as extremist and dangerous to America’s place in the world? When do we get to say that the Zionists’ religious visions of Greater Israel entail policies of ethnic cleansing and an ideology of Jewish supremacy?

1. Jim Haygood
    April 28, 2008, 2:36 pm

The media's harping on Rev. Wright is extremely selective. George W. Bush, Dick Cheney and Hillary Clinton all claim to be members of the United Methodist Church, a protestant Christian denomination. In 2005, ninety-five Methodist bishops repented their "complicity" in the "unjust and immoral" invasion and occupation of Iraq.

"In the face of the United States administration's rush toward military action based on misleading information, too many of us were silent," said a statement of conscience signed by more than half of the 164 retired and active United Methodist bishops worldwide.

"We confess our preoccupation with institutional enhancement and limited agendas while American men and women are sent to Iraq to kill and be killed, while thousands of Iraqi people needlessly suffer and die, while poverty increases and preventable diseases go untreated," the statement said.

link to foxnews.com

Why do these mainstream white politicians get a free ride, when they are in flagrant conflict with the moral dictates of their own bishops? This is not newsworthy?

Somehow WASPs and Jews still mostly get excused from the scrutiny applied to black churches and (to some extent) Catholics.

In fairness, though, black ministers tend to be dynamic orators. It's part of the tradition. I see that at the interfaith Thanksgiving service here. The two local black ministers are both brilliant speakers. Most of the white ministers are too dignified, too uptight to raise their voice or wave their arms. Black churches would fire them for being bland and mealy-mouthed.

2. Charles Keating
    April 28, 2008, 2:44 pm

If you watched Moyer's interview of Wright a few days ago, you know that Wright adapted/adopted a theology of group victimhood to give to his people for inspiration. The Old Testament was his direct source.

Looking out as far as I can see, it seems the only group that cannot directly use the lesson as a means of acceptable inspiration is white Christian or secular males.

Perhaps this is justice, considering the negative impact of Western Civilization on other than this group.

The pilgrim's progress, the Manifest Destiny of the Brits, then the pioneer USA's, and the German dozen years in Europe, have rightfully made every white male doubtful.

Meanwhile, every other group is righteous.

The Enlightenment was formulated, and somewhat implemented,
    by which group?

There will come a time when most white males join the rest of the human race in its race towards not only justice, but survival
    as a group.

Righting past wrongs should be.

Some of us see replacement wrongs heading our way fast.

3. liberal white boy
    April 28, 2008, 2:50 pm

With the exception of black caricatures like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton the Zionist media only allows Zionized Negroes on Television. Guys like Harold Ford, for example, that say we must defend Israel to our last man but don't seem to be very concerned about the plight of many blacks in our own country.
    How To Become A Zionized African American Talking Head On American T.V.
    link to homo-sapien-underground.blogspot.com

4. LeaNder
    April 28, 2008, 2:55 pm

I would like to smuggle in a comment concerning an earlier mail in which our dear Phil asked Norman Finkelstein to apologize for calling Aaron David Miller an imbecile.

My impression was, he must have really good reasons to do so, and it seems I am correct. Rude, I know, I know. Very bad PR.

Here is a very interesting speech in which he indirectly addresses his "lack of civility"(had I been present, there would have been another solo burst of laughter following his allusion to Tony Judt):

On the Place of Civility in Academic life.
    (I soundtrack of the audio file is much better then the sound on the video file)

link to normanfinkelstein.com

He moved up to the top of my reading list.

5. Richard Witty
    April 28, 2008, 2:59 pm

I personally hope that noone assails anyone else, that instead people get educated sufficiently to convince of a better policy, still not yet suggested here.

6. Charles Keating
    April 28, 2008, 3:42 pm

Richard, we beg you to give us the names of authors and publications that will educate us into your reality so that we
    can sleep at night, assured we are leaning toward truth and light.

7. Richard Witty
    April 28, 2008, 3:46 pm

Lighten up on the ridicule, and we'll have much more in common.

8. LeaNder
    April 28, 2008, 3:50 pm

You won't believe it was meant especially for you, dear Richard.

One day I'll go back and study your little psycho-social portrait of Finkelstein very carefully.

He is a very, very sensitive person, there is one part in the tape were you can clearly hear it. The audience doesn't get one of his joke, and it shows. [If the joke is not understood, the words develop a different meaning! You run the danger of being misunderstood.]

I have decided, I have to get a hand on the transcripts of the Maijdanek trials, were his mother witnessed as a surviver. It was close to here in Duesseldorf, by the way. He seems to have accompanied her.

What really made me sick was the way the anti-Finkelstein crowd attacked his mother, that was far more vicious than calling somebody a imbecile, who may well have earned the attribute, who knows?

1. A stupid or silly person; a dolt.

For my mother that was standard use: Don't be an imbecile.

link to normanfinkelstein.com|

9. Charles Keating
    April 28, 2008, 4:24 pm

Witty, where are u?

A lone Christian-influenced goy in the wilderness.

10. Richard Witty
    April 28, 2008, 4:31 pm

I don't get your point, Leandor.

What is your goal?

11. Richard Witty
    April 28, 2008, 4:33 pm

Do you think that it was Aaron that criticized his mother?

12. the Sword of Gideon
    April 28, 2008, 4:40 pm

Wright is a lunatic of the first order. That's all he is. And the fact that this is Obamas guy should really call into question Obamas judgement.

Zionized Negros. interesting outlook.

13. LeaNder
    April 28, 2008, 4:53 pm

Oh, sorry no. But the attacks on his mother – speading the tale that she must have been a KAPO – was for me the peak on the sickness meter during the anti-Finkelstein campaign. And yes, I think you are connected to the network and may simply repeat what you are told. I think the children of the survivors and some of us Germans have a very similar problem with society. That may be the reason why he touches very deep layers of me. Like e.g. Raul Hilberg did.

Have you read the complete interview? It gave me the strong impression, he must have reasons why he used the term. And it seems he has.

I would really like you to listen to his speech and tell me what you think. Honestly!

14. the Sword of Gideon
    April 28, 2008, 5:05 pm

How do you know that Finkelsteins mother was even in a concentration camp. Where is the proof? Because he said so. I don't buy it it just gives him cover for his pro-jihad agenda.

15. Richard Witty
    April 28, 2008, 5:19 pm

Don't be offensive, Sword. It does not serve your cause.

16. Madrid
    April 28, 2008, 6:10 pm

What exactly is your cause, Sword of Gideon, now that Richard has mentioned it? How would you describe your "cause"?

17. the Sword of Gideon
    April 28, 2008, 6:16 pm

Well, take a guy like yourself. Your cause is the destruction of Israel. I'm opposed to that. That would be it I suppose.

18. Arie Brand
    April 28, 2008, 6:53 pm

And meanwhile this is going on. It is characteristic that Israel uses an air strike to get at two (!) supposed 'militants' and then blames them for the 'collateral' damage.

Mother and her four children killed during Israeli raid

* Rory McCarthy in Jerusalem
    * guardian.co.uk,
    * Monday April 28 2008
    * Article history

About this article
    This article was first published on guardian.co.uk on Monday April 28 2008. It was last updated at 18:27 on April 28 2008.

A Palestinian mother and her four children were killed today as they ate breakfast at home during an Israeli military attack in the Gaza Strip.

The violence came despite efforts led by the Egyptians to arrange a ceasefire between Israel and the militant groups in Hamas-controlled Gaza.

Shortly after 8am this morning, Meyasar Abu Me'tiq was in her home in the eastern town of Beit Hanoun with her six children. Israeli military vehicles had crossed into Gaza on one of their now frequent incursions and there were reports of heavy gunfire in the area. The Israeli military said it launched an air strike against two men who it said were gunmen approaching the Israeli soldiers.

Shrapnel from the attack appears to have severely damaged the Abu Me'tiq house, and particularly the front door. Four of the children were killed immediately, according to the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights: Saleh, five, Rudeina, four, Hana, three and year-old Mes'id. The children's mother, Meyasar, 40, was severely injured and died later. The two other children and 10 others who were nearby were also injured.

"They have wiped out my family," Ahmed Abu Me'tiq told Reuters as his children's bodies were prepared for burial. One armed Palestinian who was outside the house was also killed, another was severely injured. Militants, including those from Hamas, said they fired rockets from Gaza into Israel today.

The Palestinian Centre for Human Rights, which produces detailed reports on each incident in the conflict in Gaza, said that the death toll this year was worse so far than the previous three years. It said 312 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza this year, including 197 unarmed civilians of whom 44 were children and another 14 were women. On the Israeli side, at least four civilians and five soldiers have been killed near or in Gaza this year.

"This aggression does not serve efforts being exerted to achieve calm, and it obstructs the peace process," said the Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas, who is based in the West Bank and who is engaged in peace talks with the Israelis.

The Israeli military said it believed the two Palestinian gunmen who had been hit by the air strike were carrying bags on their backs which contained "bombs and explosives". It said there was a large explosion. "Extensive damage was caused to a house that was near the gunmen and uninvolved civilians were hit," the military said in a statement, placing the blame with Hamas which it said used the civilian population as "human shields".

19. samuel burke
    April 28, 2008, 7:19 pm

Will non-Zionist Jews be given a platform in the media to assail the Israel lobby as extremist and dangerous to America's place in the world?

let me venture a wild assed guess……….hell no, not as long as the corporatocracy is in charge.

Zionism will have to play itself out, there is too much power and too much arrogance guiding that ship. The world needs someone to give a voice to the palestinians much like the helpless jews in europe needed a voice to come to their aid back when it was their turn, but alas there was none back then either.

maybe ex president Jimmy Carter will continnue his battle and escalate the war of words…but alas jimmy is such a gentleman and a christian..but wait jesus (christ) the messiah was a gentleman and a christian and he turned over the tables of the money changers and railed at the pharisees of his day.

needless to say the zionist of their day turned their back on the jews of europe, what hope is there that they stop this mad project of murder and ethnic cleansing at this late stage of the game and consider the palestinian population when they didnt consider their own.

the muslims will not compromise their nationalist religious beliefs to worship at the altar of neo liberalism.

arrogance knows no boundaries.
    go go gadget zionist.

20. Charles Keating
    April 28, 2008, 7:33 pm

Sword is just another American who never served in the US military to protect our freedom of speech.

If he lives next store to you, he is a total parasite.

21. Jim Haygood
    April 28, 2008, 7:49 pm

Days after Condi left, and days before Bush arrives, Israel defies U.S. policy on settlements … AGAIN:

————

Based on an agreement signed with former police commissioner Moshe Karadi, right-wing settlers will take up residence in a group of buildings in Jerusalem's predominantly Arab neighborhood Ras al-Amud in the next few days. The building had hitherto served as the Samaria and Judea District Police headquarters.

The buildings are slated to become the nucleus of a new Jewish neighborhood in the so-called Holy Basin area, the fate of which is supposed to be decided in Israeli-Palestinian negotiations. The new neighborhood, Ma'aleh David, is intended to link up with the Ma'aleh Zeitim neighborhood. In all, the neighborhoods of Ma'aleh David and Ma'aleh Zeitim are projected to house around 250 Jewish families in an area with 14,000 Arab residents.

link to haaretz.com

————

This is absolutely, atrociously provocative. No U.S. president with an ounce of pride or patriotism would show up in a two-bit country which openly thumbs its nose at U.S. policy as he plans his arrival, just days after its UN ambassador denounced a former U.S. president as a "bigot."

Mr. Bush — cancel your trip to Israel. This hostile, defiant little country does not deserve your visit. Are you an American, or a servile lapdog?

22. the Sword of Gideon
    April 28, 2008, 7:55 pm

So you prefer that this area be "judenrein" I believe is the term. And is their a nigra in your woodpile. You do seem obsessed with the antibellum south. Or did you have an ancestor that got knocked off at Shiloh

23. the Sword of Gideon
    April 28, 2008, 8:02 pm

BTW Keating, what unit were you in and where was your base camp. And what years were you in Vietnam. Just curious?

24. Richard Witty
    April 28, 2008, 8:10 pm

"When do we get to say that the Zionists' religious visions of Greater Israel entail policies of ethnic cleansing and an ideology of Jewish supremacy? "

For me, that doesn't describe either Judaism nor Zionism.

I agree with your opposition to the vision, but it is a more specific and limited group that applies it.

25. Jim Haygood
    April 28, 2008, 8:40 pm

'So you prefer that this area be "judenrein." '

Nothing to do with my preferences. The Geneva Convention and multiple UN resolutions forbid colonization of East Jerusalem by the occupier.

Your "Holocaust free pass" and five dollahs will buy you a latte at Starbucks. So drink up and be somebody.

26. Todd
    April 28, 2008, 8:44 pm

I've seen several interviews with Wright, and he just seems like an Afro-centrist. Why would I identify with an Afro-centrist (and everything that goes along with it), let alone a seemingly angry one? I would assume that Obama sympathizes with Wright since he was a member of his congregation for many years.

I don't really care about how African Wright feels, or how Jewish or whatever else, any other person may feel. Who decided that the nation should have multiple cultures, anyway?

On a side note, is it possible that Obama could have layalties to Africa that could get the United States into trouble (wasn't his father from an oppressed tribe in Kenya?) if he has dual loyalties? Think of the trouble we could get into in africa?

27. Arie Brand
    April 29, 2008, 1:19 am

Obama also spent four years of his youth in Jakarta and apparently had then an Indonesian stepfather. I would suggest that, one thing and another, gave him that cosmopolitan outlook one would wish the president of a global power to have.

28. samuel burke
    April 29, 2008, 7:35 am

sword youre truly a hollywood act…..

where's the proof?
    thats what a couple of jailed europeans said about the entire holocaust, thats also similar to what mahmoud amadinejad said at his conference about the scope of the holocaust>

they all said wheres the proof, so youre in good company.

go ask the jews at jewsagainstzionism.com about the proof, proof of complicity by the zionist is what youll find.

29. Charles Keating
    April 29, 2008, 4:11 pm

Sword, I was a combat engineer.

I have an honorable discharge right here in my room.
    You never served at all.
    I met one jew during my three years in the active US Army.

30. Charles Keating
    April 29, 2008, 4:49 pm

Cindy, you see that righteous prick? He's the kike even the Jews see.

31. Charles Keating
    April 29, 2008, 5:20 pm

Rev Wright

I hope average Americans see he is for them. He served 6 years in the US Military, as an enlisted man. That single fact says a lot.
    He has paid has paid his dues. The court jews and court Bushes
    would not listen to him. I hope the average American will see the truth, that is, that average Americans have to erase the Ivy League and AIPAC.

32. Todd
    April 29, 2008, 7:27 pm

I don't see how an Afro-centrist is any better for the average American than an Ivy League elitist or a Jewish supremist is.

I'm not sure what joining the military means at this point. There are plenty of foreigners in the military who are no more than mercenaries in my opinion. And I certainly believe that the people who join the IDF should be stripped of U.S. citizenship.

My father, who is an ex-marine, told me to stay away from the military. I've heard similar sentiment from ex-combat vets from other branches of the military. Why serve in wars that you don't believe in?

33. Charles Keating
    April 30, 2008, 8:53 pm

Todd, what are doing about it? Honor your daddy.

34. Todd
    May 2, 2008, 7:59 pm

"But the whole point is America's wars. Our elected leaders and appointees continue war. We pay for it. The poor fight it.

Todd, what are doing about it? Honor your daddy."

Charles, I'm not sure what I could possibly do. I really believe that political activism is a joke, and in going beyond activism one risks death or imprisonment.

I have opinions, and that's about it. I don't know what they're worth, since they are based mainly on reading and instinct. From my vantage point, what else could I base my opinions upon?

I did honor my father's wish that I stay away from the military, but that wasn't too hard to do.