The U.S. without Israel is like a fish without a bicycle

Justin Raimondo quotes Iraq-war-supporter Jonathan Chait and offers a one-line comment:

"Taken to extremes, realism's blindness to morality can lead it wildly astray.
Stephen Walt and John Mearsheimer, both staunch realists, wrote 'The Israel
Lobby,' a hyperbolic attack on Zionist political influence. The central error
of their thesis was that, since America's alliance with Israel does not advance
American interests, it could be explained only by sinister lobbying influence.
They seemed unable to grasp even the possibility that Americans, rightly or
wrongly, have an affinity for a fellow democracy surrounded by hostile
dictatorships. Consider, perhaps, if eunuchs tried to explain the way teenage
boys act around girls."

Putting Israel first is as natural as heterosexuality–but only if you work
for Marty Peretz.

Here's what I find significant about Chait's statement, apart from my feminist headline: You will notice that the New Republic has retreated from its party line of a year and so back that the authors of the Israel Lobby are antisemitic. Chait isn't going near that. And why not? Because the Israel Lobby's realist message is moving deeper and deeper into the heartland of the discourse. As neocon John Hannah said at WINEP today, Realism is now in vogue in Washington. Yes, thanks to the neocons and the New Republic.

Posted in Israel Lobby, US Policy in the Middle East, US Politics

{ 20 comments... read them below or add one }

1. LeaNder says:

Putting Israel first is as natural as heterosexuality–but only if you work
    for Marty Peretz.

;)

2. They better by careful as it has been ascertained that facts have a liberal bias.

3. Thom says:

The patron saint of realism in foreign affairs is Neville Chamberlain. Who cares if Hitler invades Czechoslovakia and Poland. It's not in our short-sighted, short-term interests to stand up to him.

4. Rowan says:

you have it wrong way round, the original was, a woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.

5. Ed says:

Chait is basically implying that Walt and Mearsheimer have no balls, and real men support Israel's war against Islamofascism. This is ironic, given that Walt and Mearsheimer between them have more balls than the entire Zionist-servile US Congress, not to mention the Obama administration. But in the upside down, bizarro world of Zionist occupied Washington (perhaps the name should be changed to Caligula, D.C.) those with courage are decried as cowards, and those cowards who send American boys off to fight Israel's wars are celebrated as courageous. They all seem to exist in some kind of insular, parallel palace-town where everyone sits around congratulating themselves and fiddling as the Middle East, and increasingly America, burn.

6. Oscar says:

Hopefully, everyone read Justin's full piece on the subject, it's actually quite a perfect coda of the blowback following the Israel-Only cabal's successful hit on Chas Freeman. Justin notes that the MSM reported on the Freeman topic only after Chas withdrew, suggesting that the real reporting is not happening in the dead-tree media, but in the blogosphere. Abe Foxman must be freaking out.

7. Saleema says:

"Who cares if the Jihadis destroy Israel, it's not in our short-sighted, short-term interests to stand up to them."

@ Thom

Yep, you are right. Who cares? Isreal shall comes crashing down just like South Africa. One secular state for all.

If Israelis do not wish to co-exist with others, then they are welcome to move back to whatever countries they moved from and into Israel. In hindshight, daul citizenship by Israel seems like a good idea. Anyone who cannot fathom to live along with the Palestinians in a secular state can pack their bags and immigrate back to where they once crame from.

8. LanceThruster says:

Godwin's Law to the rescue again. They're as bad as Hitler. Murderous Jihadis and their Palestinian cohorts need to be wiped from the face of the earth by the Israelis whether we like it or not.

9. Madrid says:

Thom:

I've been paying attention to this conflict for the past 12 years. In the beginning, I used to tell myself that most Israelis were good people, and that I wanted what was best for both Israelis and the Palestinians, a two-state solution.

Over the past 10 years in which more and more Israeli barbarism has been disclosed, I find myself understanding that most Israelis and most of its supporters are not good people. Correspondingly, I find myself hoping that Israel is simply dissolved, and its right-wing apologists get exactly what they deserve.

YOu may think you are helping your cause by coming here and posting your idiotic little comments, but the truth is that every day that scum like you grace this board and others like it, more and more people read your drivel, and the more the rest of this country becomes more like me. Keep in mind that the generic duped American Christian is your sugar-daddy– you only exist because our tax-dollars support you. So please keep posting, keep making yourself look like a crazed lunatic–and this goes for you, Suzanne and Chris Berel. By all means, keep making fun of "brain-dead" American WASPS that protest against the occupation. In the end, it only helps my side.

10. Saleema says:

I propose the wiping out of murderous Israelis because they are as bad as Hitler wether we like it or not.

11. Chris Berel says:

Funny how Saleema finds fault with the israeli position of not desiring to live next to a genocidal dreaming people

Why are antisemites like saleema demanding that israel set up condiitons for suicide?

And by the way, originally they came from the region, and now their back. Tough nugs for you and your ilk, eh?

12. jim byers says:

@ Chris & Suzanee. DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID

13. Saleema says:

LOL. You know what I do when people call me anti-Semites? I smile. You calling me an anti-Semite has no bearing on me whatsoever. It's the last resort of apologists for Israel when they have no good answer.

Hahaha…you just made my day. You and your ilk will soon become irrelevant.

I do not care what Zionist racists think of me becasue their heads are filled with arrogance and racism. It's very clear that you are an Islamophobe and fascist of the Israeli Lieberman type.

14. James says:

I stand four-square behind Israel, our true friends in a region where Anti-Americanism is the real danger. In the light that reveals the Arab lunacy gripping the Middle East today, Israel has proved to be a sane, democratic island surrounded by an ocean of hate and self-destructive mayhem. Fatah, Hamas, Hezbollah and the rest are not credible entities for the world to support. Israel is – and the world media need to abstain from bashing them for protecting their existence.

15. Chris Berel says:

LOL. You know what I do when people call me anti-Semites? Posted by: Saleema | March 13, 2009 at 07:52 PM

We don't know what you do and we don't care what you do. Basically, all we need to do is prove your opinion is based on your hateful racism. That has been done.

16. Saleema says:

@ Chris Berel,

All you have done so far is prove that your an Islamphobe. I rest my case.

17. Richard Witty says:

The term "realist" is an innaccurate brand name.

18. MX says:

Americans don't support the race hatred regime called Israel. Never have. To claim that Americans identify with a white supremacist death cult, one surrounded by the scary brown people, is slander against us all.

19. Chris Berel says:

Sorry, but you're just crazy. The majority of Americans support Israel, one of the least racist nations (And all nations, especially the US, are racist to a degree)in the region. It is also the only functional democracy in the region.

20. Colin Murray says:

If the majority of Americans supported Israel, there would be no need for the Lobby, and hasbarists wouldn't be worried enough about the truth spreading to post here.